Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 Page: <<   < prev  141 142 [143] 144 145   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 5/4/2010 7:58:48 PM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: Piles

Too much and The Wire,

is the very definition of an oxymoron

Perhaps the excess of Kubrick slowed you down.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to Piles)
Post #: 4261
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 5/4/2010 8:04:08 PM   
Piles

quote:

quote:

Too much and The Wire,

is the very definition of an oxymoron

Perhaps the excess of Kubrick slowed you down.

To be honest, I only watched the two Kubricks because I was helping a friend with some coursework. Not that they're not awesome though. I'm hoping to re-ignite the flimwatching fire with 2046 tonight. After a couple episodes of The Wire, of course .

Top 100 Moz Songs / Top 100 Films

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 4262
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 5/4/2010 8:10:33 PM   
Miles Messervy 007

quote:

, but for anybody with even half a brain cell, this is a poignant 5/5.

quote:

jamesbondguy:
Miles is clearly the finest film theorist of his generation

quote:

Deviation:
if it isn't ham, I'll eat a living pig.

(in reply to Piles)
Post #: 4263
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 5/4/2010 8:46:03 PM   
elab49

quote:

re-ignite the flimwatching fire with 2046 tonight. After a couple episodes of The Wire, of course .

How do you rank it against In the Mood For Love? I was really quite disappointed - fabulous soundtrack, though.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

(in reply to Piles)
Post #: 4264
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 5/4/2010 11:35:53 PM   
Miles Messervy 007

Features:

38. The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (2003, Jackson) THEATRICAL CUT
I used to underrate this film. I thought it was weak, and a 6 at best. I was wrong. I am still right that it's the weakest of the trilogy, though. The multiple endings may work on the page, but they certainly don't work here, and for some reason 80% of it feels like a Two Towers retread, with the Legolas-Gimli humour, more homoeroticism, Gollum vs Frodo vs Sam, and awesome battles, so why the hell is it considered better? On the positive side, it has some genuinely badass moments - Eowyn vs Nazgul, Legolas vs Giant Elephant, the ghost ships arriving and so on. Also, the score is awesome (though Fellowship's is still better). I should probably watch the extended editions even though I am not a LOTR fanatic. I also need to re-read the novels. But yeah, it feels like a lot is missing, even though it's freaking long. It's epic, but nothing truly extraordinary. 8

49. Tôkyô monogatari [Tokyo Story] (1953, Ozu)
2nd Ozu, and it's distinctly different from my first, as that was a silent. This is good, certainly. What's weird about it is that it's obvious and understated at the same time. The performances are all good, but the camerawork left me cold, as I don't object to the fact that it's breaking the 180-rule, but I didn't see the reason why it needed to. It's subtle and static, but the exchanges about the need to take care of parents before they die are there on the surface, and I wasn't really affected by the film that much. I certainly want to see more Ozu, because I feel like re-watching this would be a good idea, but since he has such a wide catalogue I might as well watch something else. As it stands, it certainly wasn't dull or bad in any way, but I certainly didn't come close to getting the 'top 10 of all time' vibe, even though I feel I should. 8

82. La ragazza che sapeva troppo [The Evil Eye] (1963, Bava)
First Bava. Not terribly exciting, as unlike the other two Giallo films I've seen (Deep Red and Bird With Crystal Plumage), it has much more emphasis on plot than on the atmosphere. And the plot isn't terribly strong, either. Solid acting, some relatively scary scenes, and a few humorous moments render it a high 6.

Shorts:

17. The Tell-Tale Heart (1953, Parmelee) {8 mins} youtube
Wonderful. James Mason + Edgar Allan Poe. All you need to know. Good animation, too. 9

quote:

jamesbondguy:

quote:

Deviation:

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 4265
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 6/4/2010 1:59:47 AM   
Deviation

Network (Sidney Lumet, 1976)- USA - 5/5

Bleak, biting, intelligent and outstanding satire about the media still relevant today. It's just a perfect mix of great direction, writing, visuals, acting, editing and the best thing I've seen under the direction of Lumet.

Week End (Jean-Luc Godard,1967)- FRA/ITA - 5/5

Probably my favorite film I've seen yet from Godard, an angry, nightmarish, anarchic surreal, violent satire that attacks most facets of society. While some of it might be a product of its time, it still has relevance, and the anarchic nature of it makes it both entertaining and mostly compelling to watch.

Logorama ( Francious Alaux, Herve de Crecy, Ludovic Houplan, 2009, S)- FRA - 4/5

A fantastic satire and also an entertaining visual feast.

Santa Sangre (Alejandro Jodorowsky, 1989)- USA/MEX - 4/5

And Santa Sangre is....good. There are some very impressive scenes in the opening and flashback and the confrontation at the end are all interesting (though not as impressive as his 70s work) but the middle act it was a bit dull, static (be it ideas, visuals and story, though the snake is hilarious) and monotonous, which is something I would never call El Topo and The Holy Mountain. Also, some poorly done dubbing. Still I mostly enjoyed it and it was certainly unique.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to Miles Messervy 007)
Post #: 4266
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 6/4/2010 2:18:54 AM   
FritzlFan

12. The King of Comedy (Martin Scorsese, 1982) - 5/5

< Message edited by FritzlFan -- 6/4/2010 2:19:04 AM >

quote:

ORIGINAL: Miles Messervy 007

Child labour is necessary in the short term

(in reply to Piles)
Post #: 4267
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 6/4/2010 7:08:31 AM   
Professor Moriarty

I can't believe I sat down specially to watch this movie on TV at the weekend, just so I could say:

Cars 2/10 - Glossy and Soulless, Lucas does Pixar.

(in reply to FritzlFan)
Post #: 4268
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 6/4/2010 7:15:32 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

quote:

Features:

38. The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (2003, Jackson) THEATRICAL CUT
I used to underrate this film. I thought it was weak, and a 6 at best. I was wrong. I am still right that it's the weakest of the trilogy, though. The multiple endings may work on the page, but they certainly don't work here, and for some reason 80% of it feels like a Two Towers retread, with the Legolas-Gimli humour, more homoeroticism, Gollum vs Frodo vs Sam, and awesome battles, so why the hell is it considered better? On the positive side, it has some genuinely badass moments - Eowyn vs Nazgul, Legolas vs Giant Elephant, the ghost ships arriving and so on. Also, the score is awesome (though Fellowship's is still better). I should probably watch the extended editions even though I am not a LOTR fanatic. I also need to re-read the novels. But yeah, it feels like a lot is missing, even though it's freaking long. It's epic, but nothing truly extraordinary. 8

I don't agree with some of this, but nice to see it's gone up in your estimation.

Am I the sole fan of Cars on this forum?

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

Post #: 4269
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 6/4/2010 8:27:26 AM   
Pigeon Army

quote:

ORIGINAL: Professor Moriarty

I can't believe I sat down specially to watch this movie on TV at the weekend, just so I could say:

I can hold you in no higher esteem right now, sir.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rinc
She's supposed to be 13! I'd want her to be very attractive though

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat
quote:

ORIGINAL: Pigeon Army
Stop being mean to Deviation

No.

(in reply to Professor Moriarty)
Post #: 4270
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 6/4/2010 9:00:54 AM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gimli The Dwarf

That would seem to fit the available evidence.

quote:

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 4271
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 6/4/2010 9:07:26 AM   
elab49

quote:

Am I officially viral yet?

quote:

(in reply to Professor Moriarty)
Post #: 4272
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 6/4/2010 9:31:08 AM   
Pigeon Army

quote:

quote:

I'd say you are at least more viral than Dick Van Dyke.

quote:

quote:

quote:

No.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 4273
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 6/4/2010 9:42:03 AM   
Professor Moriarty

quote:

quote:

I must confess I was actually reading and not paying much attention to the film. I only had it on so I could write that

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 4274
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 6/4/2010 10:23:12 AM   
Miles Messervy 007

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation

Network (Sidney Lumet, 1976)- USA - 5/5

Bleak, biting, intelligent and outstanding satire about the media still relevant today. It's just a perfect mix of great direction, writing, visuals, acting, editing and the best thing I've seen under the direction of Lumet.

quote:

quote:

Features:

I don't agree with some of this, but nice to see it's gone up in your estimation.

I quite like Cars, I'd give it a 7. What do you disagree with, specifically? Obviously it's your favourite film of all time, so I'd like to hear your thoughts.

quote:

jamesbondguy:

quote:

Deviation:

Post #: 4275
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 6/4/2010 11:18:14 AM   
swordsandsandals

quote:

quote:

Dunno, you might wanna see your GP bout that.

I quite liked Cars, actually. Hardly my favourite film ever, but I reckon I prefer it to Ratatouille.
That said, it is glossy and soulless.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rawlinson

Swords is right about everything.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hood_Man

Swords smells like bum.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 4276
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 6/4/2010 1:08:43 PM   
Gram123

009) Shutter Island  (Martin Scorsese, USA, 2010, Cinema) - 7.0
My first cinema trip of the year (shocking, I know). I definitely enjoyed Scorsese's latest, though it felt like a little something was missing.

013) The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus  (Terry Gilliam, UK / Canada / France, 2009, BD) - 7.0
My high hopes and expectations weren't quite met by this, and it just scrapes a 7. Flaws included the general bagginess of the film, Ledger's performance, Andrew Garfield, as well as some of those special effects. Tom Waits FTW, though.

026) Bunny and the Bull  (Paul King, UK, 2009, DVD) - 6.0
A film linked to The Mighty Boosh by director and some of the actors. It's less overtly comedic (sometimes, just "less funny") than that show, but it's still an imaginative low budget adventure, with some pleasing phsyical effects and back projection (no need for spectacular CG landscapes) and it's fairly good fun.

031) King Kong  (Peter Jackson, New Zealand / USA / Germany, 2005, Broadcast) - 5.0
I watched it in spite of Mrs 123 stating beforehand that it really wasn't worth it. Perhaps I should have listened. Over-long, very silly and strangely unaffecting.

Gram123's Top Songs Project

(in reply to swordsandsandals)
Post #: 4277
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 6/4/2010 9:41:25 PM   
Epiphany Demon

12. Airplane! (Jim Abrahams/David Zucker/Jerry Zucker, 1980, USA) Apr *

Simply one of the funniest films ever. Gag rate's astonishing, but over familiarity with it loses half a mark. Still essential viewing. And Fritzl, my little schnitzl, Airplane>Naked Gun? 4.5/5

13. The Incredibles (Brad Bird, 2004, USA) Apr *

One of my favourite Pixar films, the characterisation for the Parr family AND Syndrome are brilliant, fantastic action, brilliant humour. Does Watchmen better than Watchmen does (the film mind, not the book). 4.5/5

34. Kick-Ass (Matthew Vaughn, 2010, UK/USA) Apr

Perhaps I overhyped this a little (although I massively overhyped Basterds, WTWTA and Shutter Island and loved them all), but its still a very good film. The direction's fantastic, and the majority of the acting's great - Moretz, Strong and Cage are brilliant. Mintz-Plasse veers a little too close to McLovin for me, and Johnson's a bit whiny - also not as funny as I expected. The action is brilliant though, and definitely a very good film. 3.5/5

THE ALTERNATIVE LOOK AT BOB DYLAN'S DISCOGRAPHY - ONE DAY MAYBE I'LL FINISH IT

(in reply to Epiphany Demon)
Post #: 4278
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 7/4/2010 1:09:34 AM   
FritzlFan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Epiphany Demon

12. Airplane! (Jim Abrahams/David Zucker/Jerry Zucker, 1980, USA) Apr *

And Fritzl, my little schnitzl, Airplane>Naked Gun? 4.5/5

Difficult to say, my fellow Sloan admirer - The Naked Gun has a more concise narrative and the gags are more visual than the ones in Airplane. I just about prefer The Naked Gun.

quote:

(in reply to Epiphany Demon)
Post #: 4279
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 7/4/2010 2:40:26 AM   
TheManWithNoShame

quote:

quote:

quote:

I'd say you are at least more viral than Dick Van Dyke.

I actually intended Force Meming: Part 2 to be variations on that damning review.

sorry jbg :( i promise to stop being such a silly boy.

(in reply to Pigeon Army)
Post #: 4280
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 7/4/2010 2:42:06 AM   
FritzlFan

But part 1 has yet to succeed.

quote:

(in reply to TheManWithNoShame)
Post #: 4281
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 7/4/2010 2:55:48 AM   
TheManWithNoShame

quote:

ORIGINAL: FritzlFan

But part 1 has yet to succeed.

Which is why it's time to move on.

sorry jbg :( i promise to stop being such a silly boy.

(in reply to FritzlFan)
Post #: 4282
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 7/4/2010 5:53:04 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

quote:

quote:

quote:

Features:

I quite like Cars, I'd give it a 7. What do you disagree with, specifically? Obviously it's your favourite film of all time, so I'd like to hear your thoughts.

Well, I'll defend the ending until I die. It's all entirely necessary to wrap up th story and mu only wish is that there'd been an extra ten minutes or so. I think I stopped listening to comments about homoeroticism in the films back in 2002. And the badass moments you mentioned, although I far from dislike them, they are pretty much the more crowd-pleasing moments, the smaller scale stuff is much more affecting. I do reckon it'd take more arrows to bring down an oliphaunt And it is extraordinary!

82. Clash Of The Titans (3D) (1st view, 2010, Louis Leterrier) - 3/5*
I can remember little about the original film other than the clockwork owl, so how closely this film follows that storyline I have no idea, but the original did seem to have a charm to it that this one lacked. It probably made more sense as well. At least twice good guys died and I had no idea who had snuffed it, and some of the action scenes went past in a blur (thought the pretty naff 3D probably didn't help). Liam Neeson and Ralph Fiennes are two of the finest actors alive today, but neither is given anything to do here. What's the point of casting Danny Huston just so he can speak 10 words? And I really don't like Sam Worthington.

126. The Covenant (1st view, 2006, Renny Harlin) - 1/5*
Good old Renny Harlin!!! Not content with making the biggest flop of all time, the worst Die Hard film, a shark thriller that's about as far away from the best of the genre you can get, the rejigged and somehow worse 4th Exorcist film, that really bad thriller about FBI profilers, and the car racing film that almost makes Speed Racer look good, with this one he's bettered himself and made the cinematic equivalent of kneeling on an upturned plug.

< Message edited by Gimli The Dwarf -- 7/4/2010 6:40:02 AM >

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Much more better!

Post #: 4283
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 7/4/2010 6:34:25 AM   
Pigeon Army

quote:

Good old Renny Harlin!!! Not content with making the biggest flop of all time, the worst Die Hard film, a shark thriller that's about as far away from the best of the genre you can get, the rejigged and somehow worse 4th Exorcist film, that really bad thriller about FBI profilers, and the car racing film that almost makes Speed Racer look good, with this one he's bettered himself and made the cinematic equivalent of kneeling on an upturned plug.

Hey, Deep Blue Sea is awesome!

quote:

quote:

quote:

No.

Post #: 4284
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 7/4/2010 6:41:35 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

Not saying it isn't, but it's hardly Jaws!

Much more better!

Post #: 4285
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 7/4/2010 8:40:58 AM   
homersimpson_esq

quote:

quote:

Features:

No, I also really like it. I rate it higher than A Bug's Life.

quote:

quote:

In the Internet Meme Poster Mash-Ups thread, I posted this wee thing...

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

Post #: 4286
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 7/4/2010 10:52:15 AM   
swordsandsandals

quote:

ORIGINAL: homersimpson_esq

quote:

quote:

In the Internet Meme Poster Mash-Ups thread, I posted this wee thing...

Anon? That's a bit offensive...

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rawlinson

Swords is right about everything.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hood_Man

Swords smells like bum.

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 4287
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 7/4/2010 1:16:04 PM   
Pigeon Army

16. Barton Fink (1991, Coen & Coen, USA) - 4.5/5
In many senses, Barton Fink and A Serious Man (a film two places above Fink in my top 100 for the year) are very similar films. Both deal with one exasperated Jewish male suffering from a certain crisis of faith in one's self and one's beliefs, and both have a theological subtext of sorts hanging over them. But where A Serious Man saw the Coens updating the Book of Job to 1960s middle America and asking whether there is actually any higher power determining how we live (such a presence becomes key to understanding the film's questions of faith and probability), Barton Fink's theme of selling one's artistic soul (especially when the existence of such a soul in the first place is contestable) doesn't hinge on its theological explorations of the theme - rather, that exploration (in the form of Fink's relationship with his infectiously cheerful, salt-of-the-earth next-door neighbour at his hotel, Charlie Meadows) illustrates the themes at the centre of the film and offers some brilliant cinema in its own right - few sequences are more memorable in the Coens' ouevre than the scene when Charlie arrives back at the hotel, flames licking the walls of the corridor. John Turturro offers a stellar performance as the titular Fink, a bundle of nerves and self-aggrandizement, a man whose outward humility is just a facade for his fundamental misunderstanding of what he writes about and what he actually is. The Coens indulge in the grandiose grotesqueness many of their dark comedies take - studio head Jack Lipnick is a perfect example of this, a barrel-chested man whose love of hyperbole is only trumped by his love of monologuing - but Barton Fink is a far more interesting work than, say, The Hudsucker Proxy or Burn After Reading. As an exploration of, critique of, and championing of the sanctity of the writer's domain, there are few films better; and, if anything else, Fink boasts the best score in a Coen brothers film, perhaps the best score Carter Burwell has ever produced.

35. The Missing Person (2009, Buschel, USA) - 4/5 ***SPOILERS AHEAD***
I've been hanging out for Noah Buschel's The Missing Person for some time, promised as I was a noir throwback with a stunning central performance by Michael Shannon. Obviously, my hopes for it were a little higher than was perhaps rational, but we have Jayb as good evidence that rationality is not a necessity in order to be an functioning human being. But I digress - The Missing Person is, despite its issues, a fantastic modern noir, both a throwback to an age gone by and a modern-day revisionist piece. Michael Shannon is stunning in the central role, playing soused PI John Rosow as a man born at least sixty years too late. His sardonic jokes and rampant alcoholism have none of the effects they would have if he was the Bogart character in a 1940s noir, and that's part of what makes The Missing Person so good - despite all the quip-laden dialogue, the imaginative flirting, the shady character details, Rosow is an anachronism, a fish out of water, slowly coming to terms with the world around him (his fascination over a cellphone that takes pictures is one of the film's many comic highlights). Buschel, on his behalf, balances comedy and suspense very well, and his direction is a delicious technicolour noir delight, all expressionistic film grain and coloured lighting and heavy shadow. However, the film suffers under some of the quirks of Buschel's writing - the 9/11 angle to Rosow's backstory feels a bit tacked on and gives him a history that seems at odds with his character; Buschel plays the cliches and conventions of noir a bit too straight at points, be it in the femme fatale or in the meeting of Rosow and Miss Charley (Amy Ryan on fine form); and the prologue is too heavy on the narration and contrivance. However, any film with a reveal scene like the one between Rosow and old friend and cop Gus Papitos - a subversion on the norm as Gus reveals the entire story, only for Rosow to shrug it off, knowing he can't do anything about it - deserves praise, and the film around that scene is more than interesting enough to justify such praise.

39. Boy (2010, Waititi, NZ) - 4/5
Review in my NZ Film thread.

106. Stop-Loss (2008, Peirce, USA) - 3/5
Taking on a subject as in need of illumination as the American military's stop-loss procedure in the current Iraq war, Kimberly Peirce's film takes a basic look at the lives of soldiers post-war before launching into a prolonged chase sequence as one soldier drives from Texas to Washington D.C. with the aim of dodging the stop-loss pulled on him by getting a senator in on the act. That said, Stop-Loss' lack of real insight into the lives of soldiers post-war is slightly forgiven due to her unflinching, if occasionally absurd, portrayal of the effects of stop-loss on soldiers trying to get out, and the harsh reality of being employed by the only employer in the world that can stop you from resigning from your job under law. Ryan Phillipe offers a strong, if unremarkable, performance as Staff Sergeant Brandon King, the man being stop-lossed, and Abbie Cornish is great in a role that requires far less than she gives it, and together the two make good, sympathetic leads, believable despite the writer-on-board speeches. Meanwhile, Channing Tatum is predictably wooden and Joseph Gordon-Levitt is wasted in roles that examine far more predictable themes and end far more predictably. That said, Peirce is a solid director and writer (the opening Iraq sequence is exhilarating and frightening, and the scene in which Phillipe tells a squadmate's family of how he died is heartbreaking), the performances are good, and the film does provide an interesting and quite disturbing picture of an archaic and ugly aspect of American military procedure, the "back-door draft". On top of that, the film's final scene is one bitter pill to swallow, and gets you thinking, which is more than can be said for some of the more black-and-white films on the subject matter.

quote:

quote:

quote:

No.

(in reply to swordsandsandals)
Post #: 4288
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 7/4/2010 5:50:34 PM   
Piles

A Tale of Springtime (1990, Eric Rohmer)
One of the joys of the filmography of Eric Rohmer is the depth and density of it. Even now, two or three years after I first sat down to watch "Full Moon in Paris”, my first of his films, there are still a handful of potential classics waiting for me. "A Tale of Springtime” is the first of Rohmer's Tales of the Four Seasons cycle (Rohmer's résumé is made up primarily of these, the Comedies and Proverbs, and the Moral Tales), and it tells the story of Jeanne (Anne Teyssedre), a schoolteacher who is letting her cousin stay in her apartment. She, therefore, takes up residence with Natacha (Florence Darel), a girl who she meets at a party. Natacha, though, has a plan, to hook Jeanne up with her father, Igor (Hugues Quester), who is dating the much younger Eve (Eloise Bennett), much to Natacha's disdain. It's difficult to keep saying new things about Eric Rohmer, for the majority of his films explore similar ground, that ground being the subtle interpersonal relationships that connect us all. Using dense amounts of dialogue to maneuver his characters and his narrative, Rohmer creates a film about people, and what people do. Here, he takes a stab at manipulation, at apathy, and at petty rivalries. It's not as negative (or as gloomy) as all that, though, because – like in most of his films – Rohmer manages to find the gleaming positives that keep his characters going. In Igor there is the overwhelming need to keep everyone happy despite overlooking his own lusts; in Natacha there's her selfless need to see her father happy even if he doesn't recognize what he needs; in Jeanne there's a gentle and soft nature, a pleasantness that often evades her companions. It's not about big bold overlapping themes (although these individual personas do say a lot about our civilization as a whole), but about characters and relationships, and there's a cracking little story playing out in front of us to boot. 5/5.

The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford
(2007, Andrew Dominik)
When I decided I would tackle a top fifty films of the just-finished decade, there were a few films that I was certain I would include. I decided, however, that I should re-watch each of them before their inclusion, because such a list is a perfect time to re-evaluate these films. Whilst "American Psycho” and "Dancer in the Dark” lived up to their memorial reputation, the third of the three best English-language films of the decade (opinion dated at New Years Day, 2010) came up slightly short. Sure, I still thoroughly enjoyed "The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford”, but I think the absolutely sublime final half hour has somewhat clouded my judgment on the rest of the film. These concluding moments were as good on this, my sixth re-watch, as they've ever been, with Casey Affleck's Bob Ford turning into a tragically misunderstood public figure, culminating in a brutally heartbreaking moment, perfectly narrated. That goes for the rest of the film, too, what with Hugh Ross turning in one of the best voiceover jobs in recent memory. The performances are invariably fantastic, with the leading three (that's Brad Pitt, Casey Affleck, and Sam Rockwell) turning in some sublime work. Whilst Pitt and Rockwell have done better ("Se7en” and "Moon” respectively), this remains Casey Affleck's finest hour to date, delivering a perfectly nuanced performance as a boy consumed by alienation, jealousy, and hero worship. There's also Nick Cave and Warren Ellis' incredible soundtrack to revel in, particularly "Song for Bob”, which is a brilliantly melancholic song that accompanies the almost soothing final moments. But then there are the problems with the narrative in the opening hour and a half. Dominik's film seems to meander onwards, as if it doesn't quite know what to do with itself until the titular act is played out. I mean, it's never a chore to watch, what with the sumptuous Malick-esque visuals on display, but the plotting is unbalanced and a little bit lazy. The final half hour is worthy of a 5/5 rating, but I'm afraid the two hours that go before it just fall short of such perfection, and they drag the rest of the film down with it. 4/5.

Dead Man (1995, Jim Jarmusch)
Jim Jarmusch is doubtlessly a filmmaker who is primarily concerned with the look and the sound of his films. "Stranger Than Paradise”, "Ghost Dog”, "Broken Flowers”, and "The Limits of Control” were, until now, the films of his that I'd managed to check out, and each and every one of them seems to place paramount importance upon style. That's not to say they are empty, because each one discusses its own separate themes, and as a whole these four films had made a hell of an impression upon me. Enter "Dead Man”, the film starring Johnny Depp as William Blake, an accountant on the run after committing a murder. After a brief introduction, Blake begins his journey into the spiritual world, becoming a Jesse James style outlaw in the process. I did like "Dead Man”, the film that sits at number five on Jarmusch's chronological filmography, but – unfortunately – not quite as much as I did the other four Jarmusch movies I'd thus far seen. It's a film that loses it a bit in the final third, and not because of anything that the film actually does, but because of its slightly overlong runtime and its emphasis on visuals. After about eighty minutes, I'd be lying if I said that I wasn't a tad bored. The film begins to meander, repeat itself, and let what is actually a very good opening hour go a little bit to waste. When it's good, "Dead Man” can be excellent; part exercise in cool imagery, part discussion of false iconism and the notion of celebrity. It's just a shame that the imagery – which, at the films outset, is actually quite sublime – becomes a little tiresome and repetitive as the two-hour runtime wears on. 3/5.

< Message edited by Piles -- 7/4/2010 5:52:30 PM >

Top 100 Moz Songs / Top 100 Films

Post #: 4289
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 7/4/2010 6:05:28 PM   
elab49

quote:

quote:

Hey, Deep Blue Sea is awesome!

Indeed.

Anon? Perhaps 'tis a kindness....

quote:

Post #: 4290
Page:   <<   < prev  141 142 [143] 144 145   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 Page: <<   < prev  141 142 [143] 144 145   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI