Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 Page: <<   < prev  139 140 [141] 142 143   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 3/4/2010 11:51:19 AM   
jamesbondguy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pigeon Army

quote:

ORIGINAL: jamesbondguy

Saturday Night And Sunday Morning (4th or 5th viewing this year)-
Pretty much the best film ever made.

Oh dear, his transition from French New Wave to British kitchen-sink realism is complete.

God help us all.

Shut up.

quote:

quote:

Hard Candy-
Oh, a Middle-brow exploitation film. How original/dull.

Didn't you once criticise Dantes for using "high-brow" as a marker for criticism?

I don't think so. I'm still right, though, as I can tell from your lack of opposing argument.

quote:

quote:

Sherlock Holmes (2009- again, don't ask)-
Really quite tremendously bad.

Nah, I'm gonna ask. Why and why?

Someone gave me a pirate copy for reasons that are still a mystery to me (apparently, I like Victorian stuff). I didn't want it, but I was bored and watched it anyway. It only ended up making me even more bored.

Do I really need to explain why it's so bad? Surely you can just tell by looking at it's poster, or something.

Just like Geoffrey Ingram.

(in reply to Pigeon Army)
Post #: 4201
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 3/4/2010 12:00:45 PM   
Pigeon Army

quote:

quote:

quote:

Hard Candy-

Didn't you once criticise Dantes for using "high-brow" as a marker for criticism?

I don't think so. I'm still right, though, as I can tell from your lack of opposing argument.

http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=2164869&mpage=215&key=Royal%2CTenenbaums&NID=0#2528462

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rinc
She's supposed to be 13! I'd want her to be very attractive though

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat
quote:

Stop being mean to Deviation

No.

(in reply to jamesbondguy)
Post #: 4202
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 3/4/2010 12:17:51 PM   
jamesbondguy

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Hard Candy-

http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=2164869&mpage=215&key=Royal%2CTenenbaums&NID=0#2528462

Uh... well, the circumstances are different and that, you know. Also, shut up.

Actually, I'm impressed you actually went looking for it.

< Message edited by jamesbondguy -- 3/4/2010 12:18:29 PM >

Post #: 4203
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 3/4/2010 12:19:29 PM   
Pigeon Army

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Hard Candy-

Uh... well, the circumstances are different and that, you know. Also, shut up.

Actually, I'm impressed you actually went looking for it.

Sad thing was, if you look at the search terms in the url, I knew exactly what film review it was in response to.

quote:

quote:

quote:

No.

Post #: 4204
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 3/4/2010 12:34:47 PM   
jamesbondguy

That is so lame.

Post #: 4205
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 3/4/2010 12:43:31 PM   
Pigeon Army

Not as lame as your consistent hypocrisy, though. 

quote:

quote:

quote:

No.

Post #: 4206
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 3/4/2010 2:22:43 PM   
matty_b

The Nun's Story (Fred Zinnemann, 1959)

Well, that's just about the dullest title for a film I could think of. But actually the film itself is a little better as Audrey Hepburn's Sister Luke enters the convent, only to find herself tempted into a life nursing the injured in World War Two, after a stint in the Congo working with dishy Dr Fortunati (Peter Finch). Actually, that description still sounds pretty dull, but hey-ho. Sure, it's a little patronising and dreary at times, but it's not too difficult to get interested in what's happening, and though Hepbrun is just too darn purty to be a nun, she's still damn good in the role (5.5/10)

The Covenant (Renny Harlin, 2006)

Why bother casting actors as the modern-day descendants of ancient witch families when you cast Gap Models instead? Why bother having an intelligent and new exploration of what witchcraft could mean when you can simply have characters throw each other through the air like The Matrix or fire power from the hands like Power Rangers? Why bother with scary stuff when you do bus jumps and 'Boo!' moments that wouldn't pass muster in an episode of Charmed? Why bother wasting time over pithy and witty dialogue when you can write 'sassy', smirking hip-ster crap like "How about I make you my we-otch?" Why bother wasting any effort watching yourself when you could be jamming a thumb into your eye over and over again? All these questions and more will occur to you if ever find yourself with the misfortune of watching this. (1/10)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

Post #: 4207
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 3/4/2010 10:22:48 PM   
Miles Messervy 007

4. Hot Fuzz (2007, Wright)
Second watch confirms the film's flawless genius. Hilarious, touching, and scary. Both an affectionate homage to stupid action movies and a parody, too. Pegg and Frost are superb, and the supporting actors are also awesome: Broadbent, Woodward, Nighy, Cranham, and cameo bits from Peter Jackson, Cate Blanchett, and Steve Coogan. The best performance of all, however, is given by the deliciously evil Dalton. I wouldn't change a single thing about it.

5. Giů la testa [Duck, You Sucker!] (1971, Leone)
Best director to have ever lived. I finally saw this. My expectations were extremely high, of course, and luckily they were absolutely fulfilled. Best new watch of the year. The tonal change may put some people off, but it makes the film what it is, and that's a masterpiece. If you look at the progression of Leone's films, friendship plays an increasing role in them: A Fistful of Dollars is about a total loner, For a Few Dollars More has Clint and Lee collaborating, The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly has a very uneven partnership, and then the 'Once Upon a Time' trilogy starts concentrating on friendship. Once Upon a Time in the West has a bond between Cheyenne and Harmonica, Once Upon a Time in America is of course the best film about friendship ever made, but this is not far behind. The political side of the film is not clear-cut, but the attitude to violence is totally different from Leone's earlier films (though The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly has elements of that, too). The scenes of mass slaughter are shocking, despite the fact that the first hour fetishises the explosions. The actors are incredible, especially Steiger, who has elements of Wallach's Tuco, but also brings his own flair to the role, Morricone's score is absolutely incredible, and anyone who doesn't like this film (though you may hate the rambling review) can go fuck themselves. 9

25. Charley Varrick (1973, Siegel)
A brilliant neo-noir/western thriller with superb performances, great cinematography, and dynamite suspense (should have used that line on the film above, but oh well). The misogyny here (and again in the film above) may be unpleasant, but that doesn't make the film any worse. 8

37. Hana-bi [Fireworks] (1997, Kitano)
My first Kitano. Something unique for sure. The combination of extreme violence and slow, static, almost meditative shots works brilliantly. Not sure what it's about, but once again, who cares? 8

60. X-Men (2000, Singer)
Never read the comics or watched the animated series, and am generally not a fan of superhero films, but I enjoyed it. Maybe it's because I enjoy "men on a mission" movies. It's slight, and has an obvious franchise setup, but the acting is decent (that toad line is hilariously bad, sure, but I'm talking more about Stewart and McKellen and Jackman), the action is good, and there's even some subtext, so it's deep like The Dark Nite. Isn't that something? 7

67. Pickpocket (1959, Bresson)
First Bresson. Certainly want to see more, even though I was underwhelmed. The acting may be deliberately bland, but that doesn't excuse it being bad. The pickpocketing scenes on the train are good, but the film is quite dull. It's not actively bad, mind. Well shot, but could have worked better without the score.7

< Message edited by Miles Messervy 007 -- 11/9/2010 5:21:24 PM >

quote:

jamesbondguy:
Miles is clearly the finest film theorist of his generation

quote:

Deviation:
if it isn't ham, I'll eat a living pig.

(in reply to GoodBadGroovy)
Post #: 4208
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 3/4/2010 10:33:05 PM   
FritzlFan

49. Hot Shots! (Jim Abrahams, 1991) - 3/5

My first film in a fortnight (though I did watch half of The Indian Runner, before I found out that part 7 had been taken down from YouTube). Bow down before me, 'film fans'.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Miles Messervy 007

Child labour is necessary in the short term

Post #: 4209
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 4/4/2010 12:06:22 AM   
swordsandsandals

Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl - 5/5

When I first started really getting into films, I noticed that films which I had loved before quickly lost their appeal. I used to like Martin Lawrence, for instance (something that will no doubt arise in future therapy sessions). And so I was worried when watching this first of the Pirates series, as I really, really liked the film when I was younger. But, what if I didn't like it now? The sequels were dire - the third one in particular had pretensions to being an epic that did not work well for it. So would this stand up to my newer, slightly more snobbish tastes? Thankfully, yes. For all those out there who actually enjoy life, there is so much to love about this action adventure.

The swashbuckling, the comedy, the flying around hanging on to ropes and swordfighting in inconvenient places - it all adds up to a whole heap of fun. And while a film needs more than just to be fun to really be great, this one does it with so much panache that I can forgive the plot for being holey and some of the dialogue a bit clunky. I personally love Depp as Jack Sparrow (an opinion which may be unpopular amongst the more joyless members of the forums), and his swagger and charm are entertaining throughout. The best bit has to be his entrance, though. A fully formed character, striding into the film and grabbing it by it's neck, shaking it into something marvellous. Who says people need origin stories? He would run away entirely with the film if it wasn't for the marvellous Geoffrey Rush as Captain Barbossa, a villain with a penchant for apples and a nice line in saying 'Arrrr' with utmost seriousness. Daft, energetic and unforgettable, watching this almost made me look forward to the fourth part out next year. But not quite. At World's End really did suck.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rawlinson

Swords is right about everything.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hood_Man

Swords smells like bum.

(in reply to FritzlFan)
Post #: 4210
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 4/4/2010 1:33:52 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

POTC: Black Pearl is all kinds of awesome. To me though, it still seems recent and fresh, so hearing someone talk of loving it when they were younger seems odd And At World's End doesn't suck at all. Well, one or two bits do. But it has the best music of the three.

Talking of music, I take it I'd be breaking the rules of the thread if I entered The Lord Of The Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring - The Complete Recordings in my list? Don't see why! I mean, the music does tell the story, and I picture the film while I'm listening, so I've watched it all in my head. And the music alone is better than any film I've seen this year anyway.

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to swordsandsandals)
Post #: 4211
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 4/4/2010 7:18:07 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

46. Affliction (1st view, 1998, Paul Schrader) - 4/5*
I've given up with the performances list for the year but if I hadn't, Nick Nolte and James Coburn would place highly.

79. Night at the Museum: Battle of the Smithsonian (1st view, 2009, Shawn Levy) - 3/5*
Like the first one, it's hardly sophisticated comedy and it tends to rehash all the jokes I didn't find funny first time round. But it does have Amy Adams. And it also has Oscar the Grouch wanting to help takeover the world, and that alone makes it worthwhile.

81. Sunshine Cleaning (1st view, 2008, Christine Jeffs) - 3/5*
Amy Adams and Emily Blunt star as two sisters, both stuck in a rut with regards to career and relationships. In an effort to make some money fast they start up a crime scene cleaning business, but it turns out to be a lot different to what they expected. Part drama, part comedy it's neither hilarious or particularly involving, but the two stars have a good chemistry and Alan Arkin as their father is an added bonus. I wonder if there could be a whole new genre dedicated to crime scene cleanup? This is the second such film I've seen now. There's potential here!

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 4212
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 4/4/2010 10:36:24 AM   
drews

March movies: all first viewings

Ging chaat goo si 4: Ji gaan daan yam mo (Jackie Chan's First Strike)
(Stanley Tong, 1996) - 3/5
Undercover Brother (Malcolm D. Lee, 2002) - 2/5
Firm, The (Nick Love, 2009) - 2/5
Alice in Wonderland (Tim Burton, 2010) - 3/5
Shutter Island (Martin Scorsese, 2010) - 3/5
Moon (Duncan Jones, 2009) - 4/5
Everybody's Fine (Kirk Jones, 2009) - 3/5
Where the Wild Things Are (Spike Jonze, 2009) - 3/5
2012 (Roland Emmerich, 2009) - 3/5
Stepfather, The (Nelson McCormick, 2009) - 2/5
New Moon (The Twilight Saga: New Moon) (Chris Weitz, 2009) - 1/5
Love Happens (Brandon Camp, 2009) - 2/5
Invention of Lying, The (Ricky Gervais, Matthew Robinson, 2009) - 4/5
Education, An (Lone Scherfig, 2009) - 3/5
Law Abiding Citizen (F. Gary Gray, 2009) - 3/5
Bounty Hunter, The (Andy Tennant, 2010) - 2/5
Fool's Gold (Andy Tennant, 2008) - 2/5
Road, The (John Hillcoat, 2009) - 4/5
Men Who Stare at Goats, The (Grant Heslov, 2009) - 3/5
Green Zone (Paul Greengrass, 2010) - 3/5

< Message edited by drews -- 4/4/2010 11:06:34 AM >

When an opportunity in a fight presents itself, "I" don't hit, "it" hits all by itself. - BRUCE LEE

Beer: The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems. - HOMER SIMPSON

#8 member of The Wire fan club. PM Dantes Inferno to join.

Post #: 4213
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 4/4/2010 12:02:02 PM   
Pigeon Army

quote:

ORIGINAL: drews

March movies: all first viewings

Stepfather, The (Nelson McCormick, 2009) - 2/5
New Moon (The Twilight Saga: New Moon) (Chris Weitz, 2009) - 1/5
Love Happens (Brandon Camp, 2009) - 2/5
Bounty Hunter, The (Andy Tennant, 2010) - 2/5
Fool's Gold (Andy Tennant, 2008) - 2/5

You're probably expecting this question, but - why?

quote:

quote:

quote:

No.

(in reply to drews)
Post #: 4214
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 4/4/2010 12:52:36 PM   
Pigeon Army

17. Shichinin no samurai (Seven Samurai) (1954, Kurosawa, JPN) - 4.5/5
Clocking in at three hours and twenty minutes long, Akira Kurosawa's epic tale of a band of samurai protecting a farming village from a horde of bandits covers a surprisingly large amount of ground, more than one would anticipate its narrative capable of. In those three hours, we're given a thorough grounding in the class politics and gender politics of feudal Japan, along with a stunning examination of what it means to be a hero - or, more specifically, what it means to be a samurai - and a presentation of feudal Japanese life that is both depressing and hopeful. On top of that, the dense and thoroughly entertaining narrative is complemented by some magnificent characterisations across the board and an hour's worth of action that stands as one of the most brilliant action setpieces of any film ever made. Takashi Shimura takes the lead as the canny and thoughtful Kanbe Shimada, a samurai more interested in the honour of his profession than in money or fame. It's the kind of role Shimura shone in, even when he was phoning it in (*cough*Godzilla*cough*), and here he thankfully puts his all into it, giving us the second-best performance in the film and a solid rock of emotion and reason to invest in. Toshiro Mifune also offers a stunningly off-the-chain performance as Kikuchiyo, a renegade wannabe-samurai with an irreverent and highly entertaining approach to everything he does. The best performance in the film, however, is Seiji Miyaguchi's - as stoic swordsman Kyuzo, his is a silent yet undeniable presence, and it's that kind of quiet masculinity that makes those flickers of emotion we see (NB: the moment when he sees Shino in the rain, or the moment when young samurai Shichiroji tells him how much he admires him) all the more affecting. He gets a bitch of a death, but his is such a calm and measured presence that he makes an indelible mark on the film; he is clearly my favourite of the samurai. There's so much to talk about when it comes to the reasons for Seven Samurai's greatness (though its occasionally laborious pacing and Kurosawa's irritating love of wipe-cuts are not included in those reasons), but, put simply, it is sensational, a funny, thrilling, inspiring, emotional and genuinely awesome epic in the truest sense.

96. Silmido (2003, Kang, SKR) - 3/5
The divide between North and South Korea has never brought out the best in the two countries, and Silmido deals with a time when what was being brought out between the two was violence, hostility, and pure underhanded nastiness. On a peninsula divided between two countries that only want to see reunification on their own terms - and preferably with the blood of the other side flowing in abandon - tensions are running high, and after an attempted assassination attempt on the South Korean President by a group of North Korean troops, the South responds by recruiting 31 death-row inmates and training them to "slit Kim Il-Sung's throat". Silmido is a violent and occasionally unpleasant film, mirroring the times and events it dramatises, and the way it analyses the way the criminals-turned-troops are treated is often affecting - they are not men to anyone but themselves until it's too late; they're killers, or convicts, or symbols, but not men. Kang Woo-suk's direction often confronts the viewer with the harsh realities of their training and existence, dehumanised and treated like scum by their overseers and subject to the whims of the very country they serve. However, the film suffers in that Kang and screenwriter Kim Hie-jae often find themselves resorting to the cliches of war films past without making a point through it. The training sequences can be brutal, but an off-putting score and a certain hypermasculine bravado running through the scenes takes away from the impact of the true story at the centre of the film and places undue importance on the military, rather than the men. Furthermore, while there's no doubt the convicts are treated in a terrible way throughout the film, the film seems all too willing to gloss over the characters' status as criminals, confronting it barely a handful of times. It follows that the final forty minutes become hard to swallow as a result, as it's hard to gauge just how sympathetic we're meant to find the the criminals in comparison to the institution maltreating them and the people working for the institution. Silmido is an interesting and well-made war film, but it feels like it hasn't explored all facets of the subject it takes on - and with a subject as loaded as this, such an approach is dangerous at best.

113. Naked Gun 33 1/3: The Final Insult (1994, Segal, USA) - 2/5*
It was on TV, I was bored, I found myself watching it. Whatever. Leslie Nielsen is good value (if only because he still seems to understand at this point what made his initial performance in Airplane! so great), Fred Ward is an appropriately snarly villain, and it has its share of funny moments ("This prison changes a man." "How do you know?" "I used to be white."; the ludicrous hard-boiled dialogue between Drebin and Tanya Peters; "I wonder what the devil he wanted!") but it's clear that, at this point, a lot of people were starting to forget the key to good parody and were more concerned with making broad, hit-and-miss comedies. It's disappointing, but expected, that the film is less successful when it goes for laughs instead of playing it straight; it's even more disappointing when they seem reluctant to actually play it straight in the first place.

quote:

quote:

quote:

No.

Post #: 4215
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 4/4/2010 1:19:39 PM   
Pigeon Army

A bit delayed, but March's stats are as follows.

01.    Gwoemul (The Host) (2006, Bong, SKR) – 5/5***
02.    Mou gaan dou (Infernal Affairs) (2002, Lau & Fai Mak, HKG) –5/5***

03.    Bakha satang (Peppermint Candy) (1999, Lee, SKR/JPN) – 4.5/5
04.    Juyuso seubgyuksageun (Attack the Gas Station!) (1999, Kim, SKR) – 4.5/5*
05.    Sennen joyű (Millennium Actress) (2001, Kon, JPN/SKR) – 4.5/5
06.    The Road (2009, Hillcoat, USA) – 4.5/5

07.    A Single Man (2009, Ford, USA) – 4.5/5
08.    Hauru no ugoku shiro (Howl’s Moving Castle) (2004, Miyazaki, JPN) – 4/5
09.    Dai-bosatsu tôge (Sword of Doom) (1966, Okamoto, JPN) – 4/5
10.    Saenghwalui balgyeon (On the Occasion of Remembering the Turning Gate) (2002, Hong, SKR) – 4/5

11.    Red Road (2006, Arnold, UK/DEN) – 4/5
12.    Cobra Verde (1987, Herzog, FRG/GHN) – 4/5
13.    Bronson (2008, Winding Refn, UK) – 4/5
14.    8˝ (1963, Fellini, ITA/FRN) – 4/5*
15.    Byôsoku 5 senchimętoru (5 Centimetres Per Second) (2007, Shinkai, JPN) – 4/5
16.    Carne trémula (Live Flesh) (1997, Almodóvar, FRN/SPN) – 4/5
17.    Fish Tank (2009, Arnold, UK) – 4/5
18.    Dung che sai duk (Ashes of Time Redux) (1994, Wong, HKG/CHN/TWN) – 3.5/5
19.    Seom (The Isle) (2000, Kim, SKR) – 3.5/5
20.    La flor de mi secreto (The Flower of My Secret) (1995, Almodóvar, SPN/FRN) – 3.5/5

21.    Geung si sin sang (Mr. Vampire) (1985, Lau, HKG) –3.5/5

22.    Shutter Island (2010, Scorsese, USA) – 3.5/5
23.    Chîmu bachisuta no eikô (The Glorious Team Batista) (2008, Nakamura, JPN) – 3.5/5 
24.    Ging chat goo si (Police Story) (1985, Chan, HKG) –3/5

25.    Matador (1986, Almodóvar, SPN) – 3/5
26.    Seopyeonje (Sopyonje) (1993, Im, SKR) – 3/5
27.    Enter the Dragon (1973, Clouse, HKG/USA) –3/5
28.    Hyeongsa (Duelist) (2005, Lee, SKR) – 3/5
29.    Fung wan II (Storm Warriors) (2009, Pang Chun & Pang, HKG) – 2/5

SHORT FILMS
01.    On Your Mark (1995, Miyazaki, JPN) – 3.5/5

FILMS BY DECADE
2010s - 01
2000s - 15
1990s - 07
1980s - 04
1970s - 01
1960s - 02
1950s - 00
1940s - 00
1930s - 00
1920s - 00
1910s - 00
1900s - 00

FILMS BY COUNTRY
Hong Kong  -  04
Japan  -  05
South Korea  -  06
Spain  -  01
UK  -  02
USA  -  03

Mixed  -  09

quote:

quote:

quote:

No.

Post #: 4216
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 4/4/2010 2:51:34 PM   
FritzlFan

quote:

113. Naked Gun 33 1/3: The Final Insult (1994, Segal, USA) - 2/5*
It was on TV, I was bored, I found myself watching it. Whatever.

Don't apologise for having watched it.

quote:

Post #: 4217
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 4/4/2010 2:52:52 PM   
TRM

He should though! None of them are any good 

I'm going out to the states to redeem the social outcasts. My only real ambition is to cultivate Texas. I love Texas. You must watch "The last picture show". That film! It was my first real sexual relationship.

(in reply to FritzlFan)
Post #: 4218
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 4/4/2010 3:00:10 PM   
FritzlFan

The first two have more laughs than every Buster Keaton film.

quote:

(in reply to TRM)
Post #: 4219
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 4/4/2010 3:02:33 PM   
TRM

What?!? 

Its just the wrong sort of humour for me. It was all so obvious, that I dont think I laughed at all during any of the films.

I'm going out to the states to redeem the social outcasts. My only real ambition is to cultivate Texas. I love Texas. You must watch "The last picture show". That film! It was my first real sexual relationship.

(in reply to FritzlFan)
Post #: 4220
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 4/4/2010 3:46:08 PM   
TRM

Since its getting quiet around this part of the forum (nothing much to read) here are the last few I have watched:
Features
97. On dangerous ground (Nicholas Ray, 1952, USA) -
Apr -
*Some spoilers*
Nicholas Ray is always someone I mean to look into more, but never know where to go (have seen In a lonely place/Rebel without a cause/The savage innocents) so when I noticed I had this recorded (no idea from when ) I thought I would give it a go. Anyway the film itself, It has the problem that it all feels a bit rushed at 82 minutes. The basic set up is of Robert Ryan's character (Jim) as a cop who seems to hate himself for enjoying how rough he is with his suspects. After doing this one too many times, he is sent out of the city to help with a murder case, with the issue being that this doesnt happen until half an hour into the film. From this point onwards, we get to the real story of the film, as Jim starts to feel sorry for a blind woman (played by Ida Lupino) who is the brother of the man suspected of murder and the man Jim is currently trying to track down.
The acting apart from Ryan isn't anything particularly great, but he gets across the emotional issues of the cop pretty well. It is however clear that the star of the film is Nicholas Ray, with his sweeping camera movements, and the cleverly chosen shots doing a good job of setting up the mood of the film. He does however make a very bad choice with how he ends the films (without revealing anything, it should end 1 minute earlier), and the aforementioned issue of the set up of the character taking too long, leads to issues with the pacing in the main part (how the murderer is found comes along way too easily) as well as it seeming to be way too lucky a guess by Jim on where the murderer headed.

Shorts:
5. The fox and the hare (Yuriy Norshteyn, 1973, 12mins, Soviet Union) - Apr
The fox and the hare has a very simple premise, as a jealous fox steals a hares house, and the hare asks several forest animals to help him to get it back. From this simple idea, I would normally think of Tex Avery or Chuck Jones poking fun at the idea and trying to fill the film with as many laughs as possible. The approach Norshteyn goes for instead (and its the same with all of his films) is to play it without humour, and make us feel more for the hurt of the hare as the film goes along. As each larger creature comes along and is fended off by the cunning fox, the hare becomes more and more desperate, until it appears he has reached breaking point.
As well as Norshteyn's ability to create these well rounded creatures to follow, he also manages to add a visual depth to his films which give the impression of the actual physical characteristics of the creatures and the forest being able to move around each other and come out towards or move away from the viewer. I would argue that this technique is more breathtaking to watch than anything I have seen in any other animation, as it is obvious just how much care and dedication is required from Norshteyn to make the film.

Winter days (Various, 2003, Japan, 40mins) - Apr
I only managed to find the animation segment of this film, but that is the only part I was interested in anyway. The story quickly lost me (I think it would be useful to be more familiar with the story it is made about) but the film holds up pretty well as a bunch of connected shorts about Japanese culture and lifestyles. The real joy of this short is just being able to see the many different animation styles all together in one place, with the highlights for me being the Norshteyn section and Tatsuo Shimamura's section.

Post #: 4221
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 4/4/2010 3:58:05 PM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: TRM

Since its getting quiet around this part of the forum (nothing much to read) here are the last few I have watched:
Features
97. On dangerous ground (Nicholas Ray, 1952, USA) -
Apr -
*Some spoilers*
Nicholas Ray is always someone I mean to look into more, but never know where to go (have seen In a lonely place/Rebel without a cause/The savage innocents) so when I noticed I had this recorded (no idea from when ) I

It was on in the after midnight noir series on BBC 2 over Xmas.

I think Lupino does very well giving depth to a character that if played too nice would topple so far over into mawkishness it would be unwatchable.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to TRM)
Post #: 4222
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 4/4/2010 4:07:25 PM   
TRM

Ah, that explains it then 

*possible spoilers*

I think the only other thing I have seen Lupino in is Beware, my lovely, where she does a great job of showing how terrified the character is, without outwardly doing too much, but here she doesnt seem to convey any sort of fear, despite having these 2 unknown men in her house, who are fighting and destroying everything around her. I think she just looked liked she was constantly struggling to play a blind woman. But yes, she does make it difficult to dislike the character

Is this appearing in the noir list?

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 4223
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 4/4/2010 4:12:31 PM   
elab49

It was on the '5 that didn't make it list', after number 31 (with The Window, Born to Kill, Narrow Margin and Journey Into Fear). I think it branches too far from noir out of the city, although Ryan so clearly losing it cityside tends to get it included within the noir lists.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to TRM)
Post #: 4224
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 4/4/2010 4:17:01 PM   
TRM

Ah thats alright then, I was going to question why it was being included 

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 4225
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 4/4/2010 11:25:15 PM   
swordsandsandals

PA, what, pray tell is lacking in the Seven Samurai for it to lose that .5?

quote:

quote:

Swords smells like bum.

(in reply to TRM)
Post #: 4226
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 5/4/2010 12:24:36 AM   
Pigeon Army

quote:

ORIGINAL: swordsandsandals

From my review -

quote:

There's so much to talk about when it comes to the reasons for Seven Samurai's greatness (though its occasionally laborious pacing and Kurosawa's irritating love of wipe-cuts are not included in those reasons)

Thanks for reading it, by the way.

quote:

quote:

quote:

No.

(in reply to swordsandsandals)
Post #: 4227
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 5/4/2010 12:26:56 AM   
swordsandsandals

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: swordsandsandals

From my review -

quote:

There's so much to talk about when it comes to the reasons for Seven Samurai's greatness (though its occasionally laborious pacing and Kurosawa's irritating love of wipe-cuts are not included in those reasons)

Thanks for reading it, by the way.

I did read it! Just not that bit, apparently! Cause I was wanting to know why it was only 4.5, and then I read about how Kyuzo is awesome and I agreed with you. Which felt wrong.

quote:

quote:

Swords smells like bum.

Post #: 4228
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 5/4/2010 12:27:01 AM   
Rhubarb

Wipe cuts cost it half a star?

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

ORIGINAL: FritzlFan

You organisational skills sicken me, Rhubarb.

Post #: 4229
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 5/4/2010 12:29:14 AM   
Pigeon Army

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rhubarb

Wipe cuts cost it half a star?

Wipe cuts and its occasionally laborious pacing. Christ, can no-one read in this forum?

quote:

quote:

quote:

No.

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 4230
Page:   <<   < prev  139 140 [141] 142 143   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 Page: <<   < prev  139 140 [141] 142 143   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI