Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 Page: <<   < prev  138 139 [140] 141 142   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 2/4/2010 1:26:25 AM   
TRM

Yeah but are they all really great? He has had some amazing films, but it seems like none of the rest of them are even seen to be anything less than great by Scorsese fans.

I'm going out to the states to redeem the social outcasts. My only real ambition is to cultivate Texas. I love Texas. You must watch "The last picture show". That film! It was my first real sexual relationship.

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 4171
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 2/4/2010 1:27:07 AM   
Deviation

Dear Mr Lime, four of the moving pictures shown in your list have a rather worrying position. Are you by any chance implying that In the Loop, Gomorra, Zombieland and Drag Me to Hell are only slightly better than moving pictures Harry Brown or Avatar? I fear that would be rather reprehensible and for such a preposterous and blasphemous thought we should crucify you.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to Harry Lime)
Post #: 4172
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 2/4/2010 2:48:27 AM   
Miles Messervy 007

Moreover, Avatar is ahead of 500 Days of Summer and The Murder on the Orient Express No wonder he likes The Quiet Man...

quote:

jamesbondguy:
Miles is clearly the finest film theorist of his generation

quote:

Deviation:
if it isn't ham, I'll eat a living pig.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 4173
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 2/4/2010 3:01:14 AM   
Pigeon Army

17. The Road (2009, Hillcoat, USA) - 4.5/5
The future is not a friendly place. The future represents change, change that's often unable to be controlled, and what we can't control must be bad, must be frightening. In that respect, The Road bears a lot of similarity to the myriad of dystopic science-fiction films out there. However, The Road sets itself apart from the pack with its immediacy - set seven years after an unexplainable apocalypse, The Road finds its power in the unnerving proximity of the end of the world to the now. This is real day after tomorrow stuff, and to be honest, tomorrow's not looking that hot either. Viggo Mortensen and Kodi Smit-McPhee, he of the infernal double-barrelled last name, play Father and Boy, persevering against all odds in their quest to reach the South, a mythical beacon of hope for the two. Their relationship is painfully realistic and the two are stunning together, though Mortensen sometimes stumbles under the weight of his character, occasionally lapsing into an absurd growly internalisation, particularly in the rare instances when the dialogue gets a little clunky ("I told you I would do what it takes", indeed). It's hard not to project one's own parent-child relationship onto the characters, and it's a stirringly honest account of such a relationship and the tolls it takes in such situations. Their performances, however, can only go so far, and director John Hillcoat picks up the ball and runs with it. Having shown a proficiency in capturing the beauty in desolation with the exquisite The Proposition, Hillcoat crafts a startlingly authentic end-of-the-world America, all collapsed trees and burned-out shells of buildings and cars. Hillcoat's imagery is eye-opening, and gives both a sense of familiarity and a sense of formidable scope to what has come, what is happening, and what will come to pass. It makes the quest of Father and Boy all the more tragic, and the story all the more bleak, and it helps evoke the rest of the emotion that Mortensen, Smit-McPhee and screenwriter Joe Penhall can't by themselves. A series of emotional gut-punches, sure (hell, it's the first film I've cried at in the cinema in a while), but The Road is a frighteningly powerful film, and one that really deserves far more praise and recognition than it has received.

81. Geung si sin sang (Mr. Vampire) (1985, Lau, HKG) - 3.5/5
One of my favourite Xbox games is Kung Fu Chaos - nothing beats four people sitting around beating the shit out of each other across moving movie sets in a thinly-veiled parody of Hong Kong martial arts cinema. In one level, you fight in a spooky Chinese graveyard of sorts, all low-hanging fog, spiky booby-traps, giant dog-like ghosts and hopping vampires. I'd always figured the hopping vampires were a part of Chinese culture generally, but it appears not - unless I'm very much mistaken, their presence in Kung Fu Chaos is a reference to this silly and awesome 1985 action-horror-comedy, and a reference that oddly augments both the film and the game for me. Lam Ching-Ying plays Master Gau, a unibrowed Taoist exorcist whose temple, staffed by the awkward and bumbling Man Choi (Ricky Hui) and the well-meaning Chou (Chin Siu-hou), is the hub of much bizarre supernatural action. Fighting vampires and ghosts, Mr. Vampire is well aware of how silly the whole thing seems, and is immensely entertaining as a result. It never takes itself too seriously, with indicators of this as broad as the comedy sidekicks of Man Choi and Chou and as small as Master Gau's humourous unibrow. It's a very funny little comedy, with the actors nailing their roles (even if Hui, Chin and Billy Lau - as police chief Wai - are a bit too prone to mugging) and the gags flying relatively fast - Chou's visit to a rice shop, Chou's first meeting with the desirable young Ting-Ting, and the "Western dinner" scene all highlights. However, it's not afraid to go serious when it needs to, and while it sags a little when it puts its serious face on (the ghost subplot only gets really interesting when Master Gau gets involved, for example), it's never anything short of entertaining.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rinc
She's supposed to be 13! I'd want her to be very attractive though

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat
quote:

ORIGINAL: Pigeon Army
Stop being mean to Deviation

No.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 4174
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 2/4/2010 7:04:34 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

10. Kick Ass (1st view, 2010, Matthew Vaughn) - 4/5*
I loved this but I didn't know I loved it enough to me in the top 10 so far this year. Nature of the list I suppose. But very good fun.

101. Chaos (1st view, 2005, Tony Giglio) - 3/5*
Muddled and convoluted thriller that sees Wesley Snipes take hostages in a bank and Jason Statham as the cop out to get him. Had it starred Steven Segal it'd get a star more, as his films are usually so bad you can't help but love them.

102. Good (1st view, 2008, Vicente Amorim) - 3/5*
Viggo Mortensen joins the Nazi party much to the dismay of Jason Isaacs his Jewish best friend. Strong performances, but a good story is lost in the poor dialogue.

April

1. The Lord Of The Rings: The Two Towers (40th+ view, 2002, Peter Jackson) - 5/5
2. Them! (1st view, 954, Gordon Douglas) - 5/5*
3. The Spirit Of St. Louis (1st view, 1957, Billy Wilder) - 4/5*
4. Jindabyne (1st view, 2006, Ray Lawrence) - 4/5*
5. Iron Man 2 (1st view, 2010, Jon Favreau) - 4/5*
6. Fantastic Mr. Fox (1st view, 2009, Wes Anderson) - 4/5*
7. Billy Liar (1st view, 1963, John Schlesinger) - 4/5*
8. Garage (1st view, 2007, Lenny Abrahamson) - 4/5*
9. The Bride (1st view, 1985, Franc Roddam) - 4/5*
10. The International (2nd view, 2009, Tom Tykwer) - 4/5

11. The Informant! (1st view, 2009, Steven Soderbergh) - 4/5*
12. Affliction (1st view, 1998, Paul Schrader) - 4/5*
13. Hue and Cry (1st view, 1947, Charles Crichton) - 4/5*
14. Is Anybody There? (1st view, 2008, John Crowley) - 4/5*
15. Wendy and Lucy (1st view, 2008, Kelly Reichardt) - 4/5*
16. Vicky Cristina Barcelona (1st view, 2008, Woody Allen) - 4/5*
17. Saddle The Wind (1st view, 1958, Robert Parrish) - 4/5*
18. Yes (1st view, 2004, Sally Potter) - 4/5*
19. Night at the Museum: Battle of the Smithsonian (1st view, 2009, Shawn Levy) - 3/5*
20. Sunshine Cleaning (1st view, 2009, Christine Jeffs) - 3/5*

21. Blood on the Sun (1st view, 1945, Frank Lloyd) - 3/5*
22. Yes Man (1st view, 2008, Peyton Reed) - 3/5*
23. Lights in the Dusk/Laitakaupungin valot (1st view, 2006, Aki Kaurismäki) - 3/5*
24. Clash Of The Titans (3D) (1st view, 2010, Louis Leterrier) - 3/5*
25. Hullabaloo Over Georgie and Bonnie's Pictures (1st view, 1978, James Ivory) - 3/5*
26. Outpost (1st view, 2008, Steve Barker) - 3/5*
27. License to Wed (1st view, 2007, Ken Kwapis) - 3/5*
28. The Pink Panther 2 (1st view, 2009, Harald Zwart) - 3/5*
29. Adventureland (1st view, 2009, Greg Mottola) - 3/5*
30. The Messengers (1st view, 2007, Pang Brothers) - 3/5*

31. The Tree of Wooden Clogs/L'albero degli zoccoli (1st view, 1978, Ermanno Olmi)- 3/5*
32. Kama Sutra: A Tale of Love (1st view, 1996, Mira Nair) - 3/5*
33. Alice's Restaurant (1st view, 1969, Arthur Penn) - 2/5*
34. Eragon (1st view, 2006, Stefen Fangmeier) - 2/5*
35. The Covenant (1st view, 2006, Renny Harlin) - 1/5*

< Message edited by Gimli The Dwarf -- 1/5/2010 2:02:06 AM >

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to Pigeon Army)
Post #: 4175
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 2/4/2010 9:26:29 AM   
Epiphany Demon

quote:

ORIGINAL: TRM

quote:

And it is when watching this, that I came to the conclusion that second-rate Scorsese is really first-rate Scorsese.

It seems like every Scorsese fan feels this way

No, most of the things you see are second-rate Scorsese is first-rate anything else, but I don't see enough of a gap between two two reputed qualities.

THE ALTERNATIVE LOOK AT BOB DYLAN'S DISCOGRAPHY - ONE DAY MAYBE I'LL FINISH IT

(in reply to TRM)
Post #: 4176
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 2/4/2010 11:59:38 AM   
Pigeon Army

OH HI EMPIRE

94. Ging chat goo si (Police Story) (1985, Chan, HKG) - 3/5
In a film tutorial yesterday, our tutor asked to decide who was more representative of Hong Kong national cinema, Bruce Lee or Jackie Chan. While some argued Bruce, I argued Jackie, not just because he represents how stars of Hong Kong cinema are royally fucked over by talent-blind Hollywood producers when they make the 'transfer'. I argued Jackie because he seems to mirror a larger part of the Hong Kong cinema canvas than Lee - while Lee's cocky bravado and warrior-scholar masculinity is representative of a certain time and place in Hong Kong cinema, Chan's balancing of broad comedy, serious fighting and heightened drama is more reflective of the balancing of styles inherent in Hong Kong cinema. In that sense, Police Story presents the perfect Jackie Chan, allowing him to play to his three strengths with great style and likability. What Police Story isn't, however, is a perfect Jackie Chan film, far from it. Chan is an excellent leading man as committed and talented rookie cop Ka-kui Chan, but the film around him seems more structured around his skills than around the aim of creating a good film. It feels like we're thrown smack-bang into the middle of the story with Police Story, as if the filmmakers lost the opening half-an-hour of footage and hurriedly slapped exposition on the front of the film in order to compensate. While that hurried exposition does put us in a good position to take in the enthralling opening action sequence, including Ka-kui's hypocritical approach to keeping the slum-dwellers safe and his escapades on a bus, it quickly becomes clear that the film has a frequently uneven tone, and while Jackie gets to show off what he's good at, the comedy, action and heightened drama lurch into each other with little sense of pacing or coherence. The action sequences are fantastic (the mall fight, the aforementioned opening sequence and the fight with the hitmen especially), the comedy is hilarious (Ka-kui's pig-headed ramblings about his relationship while his girlfriend is, unknown to him, in the house; the back end of the court sequence), and the drama works, even if it is overblown (it's not hard to feel for Ka-kui when he's accused of murdering a fellow cop). However, they don't gel with each other, and on top of that, the film has its fair share of egregious moments, from the utterly bizarre cross-examination of Ka-kui by the antagonist's lawyer to the way Jackie's phone hijinx feel wedged into the film (his treatment of a rape victim and a battered wife is a bit off, too). When Police Story hits, it scores with aplomb, but it feels far too uneven and misses too often for it to go unnoticed.

118. The Room (2003, Wiseau, USA) - 1/5
I'm the president of my university's Film Society, and so, to close off this term's screening theme of 'ego', we showed The Room, Tommy Wiseau's cutting examination of modern day relationships, infused with the passion of Tennessee Williams. There were around twelve-fifteen of us at the screening, and it became clear pretty early on that our viewers would not leave any stone unturned in exploitation of the hilarity. As such, the score I have given The Room may be generous, because the experience was so memorable and so entertaining that I don't think I could rightly give it 0/5. After all, how can something that gave me so much joy really be all bad? Sure, everything about its conception is awful. Tommy Wiseau is completely inept in every role he fills - his direction is amateurish, unimaginative, and prone to recycling footage and extending scenes that do not need to be extended (*cough*sexscenes*cough*); his writing is lifeless and is filled with gaping plot holes (who the fuck are Mike and Michelle?), the trivialisation of serious matters (I took to yelling "YOU HAVE BREAST CANCER, DAMMIT" whenever Lisa's mother came on screen and lamented about how tired she was or how unimportant her troubles were compared to Lisa) and the horrendous misogyny running through every frame; and his acting is awful, not helped by the fact that he looks and sounds like an Eastern European Mickey Rourke with a botox addiction. Furthermore, Wiseau's supporting actors are completely inept, especially leading lady Juliette Danielle, whose eyebrows have a life of their own, and in fact have probably stolen the life within her. Then there's the shameless Thomas Newman ripoff of a score, the bizarre continuity errors (THE TAPE), the deification of Tommy's character, and the generally hilarious dialogue (Johnny responds to Mike's questions about his work at the bank with "No, I can't [tell you]. Anyway, how is your sex life?"). The Room is on a transcendent level of badness. It's so bad, it's quite possibly the greatest film ever, we just don't realise it. And if you think otherwise, well, you can just leave your stupid comments in your pocket.

Also, we threw footballs and spoons when appropriate. It was the real fucking deal, ladies and gentlemen.

quote:

quote:

quote:

No.

(in reply to Epiphany Demon)
Post #: 4177
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 2/4/2010 12:02:53 PM   
DCMaximo

New entries:

43. The Couch Trip (1988, Ritchie) 7/10
My weakness for 80's comedies means I've probably overrated this, but I find myself enjoying this more and more with every viewing. The film follows the misadventures of a convicted mental patient (Dan Aykroyd) who, faking his insanity to avoid being put in a tough prison for fraud, takes advantage of a case of mistaken identity to escape and pretend to be a celebrity psychiatrist in LA, with only down-and-out Walter Matthau knowing his secret. Aykroyd is perfectly cast as the motormouth imposter and the scenes with him hosting a daytime radio talkshow are great fun. Likewise Matthau excels as an uncouth grouch and shares good chemistry with Aykroyd. Charles Grodin, as a psychiatrist in a slump of depression, threatens to steal the show everytime he's on-screen.

63. Navy Seals (1990, Teague) 4/10
Rubbish action nonsense that doesn't even have the good grace to be FUN action nonsense and wastes a servicable cast including Michael Biehn, Charlie Sheen and Bill Paxton. Sheen is fun but underused, while Biehn is humourless and forgettable as the Seals' leader. It's also very uneven: it's hard to take seriously an attempt to show how grim life can be for the soldiers when you get scenes of Sheen ludicrously rescuing his car from the back of a towtruck on a stolen bicycle. Still, for rubbish military films, it's better than GI Joe: Rise Of Cobra.

< Message edited by DCMaximo -- 2/4/2010 12:04:48 PM >

The Spanish Inquisition of the 'Get Carlton Banks a TV Spin-off' Association

"Carlotta was the kind of town where they spell trouble T-R-U-B-I-L, and if you try to correct them, they kill you"

(in reply to Epiphany Demon)
Post #: 4178
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 2/4/2010 12:17:34 PM   
Pigeon Army

quote:

ORIGINAL: DCMaximo
Still, for rubbish military films, it's better than GI Joe: Rise Of Cobra.

I don't see how you can say anything is bad when it has Joseph Gordon-Levitt hamming it up so spectacularly.

quote:

quote:

quote:

No.

(in reply to DCMaximo)
Post #: 4179
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 2/4/2010 12:19:06 PM   
Deviation

If I were JGL I'd be very scared now. This obsession is reaching worrying levels. 

quote:

There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

Post #: 4180
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 2/4/2010 12:35:21 PM   
Pigeon Army

JGL is confused by your assertions.

quote:

quote:

quote:

No.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 4181
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 2/4/2010 12:40:08 PM   
DCMaximo

quote:

quote:

I don't see how you can say anything is bad when it has Joseph Gordon-Levitt hamming it up so spectacularly.

Because I always thought he was the least interesting part of 3rd Rock From The Sun?.

The Spanish Inquisition of the 'Get Carlton Banks a TV Spin-off' Association

"Carlotta was the kind of town where they spell trouble T-R-U-B-I-L, and if you try to correct them, they kill you"

Post #: 4182
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 2/4/2010 12:43:46 PM   
Pigeon Army

quote:

quote:

quote:

Because I always thought he was the least interesting part of 3rd Rock From The Sun?.

quote:

quote:

quote:

No.

(in reply to DCMaximo)
Post #: 4183
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 2/4/2010 12:50:11 PM   
Harry Lime

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation

Dear Mr Lime, four of the moving pictures shown in your list have a rather worrying position. Are you by any chance implying that In the Loop, Gomorra, Zombieland and Drag Me to Hell are only slightly better than moving pictures Harry Brown or Avatar? I fear that would be rather reprehensible and for such a preposterous and blasphemous thought we should crucify you.

Dear Dev,

In my defence, it has been a very strong year so far. Despite being only a place apart. There's a huge drop in quality between Shatranj Ke Khilari (3) and the aforementioned Harry Brown (2.5) - a film that's positives existed only in the presence of Michael Caine and it's unflinching moments of violence.

However, In The Loop (3) was ok, but nothing more. A handful of funny sequences and a couple of decent performances (Gandolfini and McKee) but it is ultimately a toothless political satire that flounders in a running time well beyond the usual half-hour and too often ends up falling back to often upon Peter Capaldi's sweary Malcolm Tucker. Steve Coogan steals the film though.

Gomorra (3) was equally mediocre. It was polished and well crafted but lacked any vibrancy or that extra bit of va va voom.

Drag Me To Hell (3.5) and Zombieland (3.5) were both better though. Both had their flaws, particularly the latter, but both managed to blend their comedy-horror aspects rather well and both contained some genuinely hilarious sequences (the car-fight sequence in the Raimi film and the supermarket sequence in Zombieland spring to mind). Neither were spectacular but both were jolly good fun. I'd be more than happy enough to watch both of them again.

quote:

Moreover, Avatar is ahead of 500 Days of Summer and The Murder on the Orient Express. No wonder he likes The Quiet Man...

Well, I've made my feelings about (500) Days of Summer (2) before...

The worst of the bunch was the ghastly (500) Days of Summer. I've seen it praised quite highly in a lot of quarters, including on these boards, and I can not, for the life of me, understand why at all. It's whiny, deeply pretentious sub-Before Sunrise emo wankery that, despite a few "quirky" visual tricks (which simply made me wish I was watching Amélie instead) plays on all the worst aspects of the too-cool-for-school characterisations and scenario's that are de rigeur in films of these type. Joseph Gordon Levitt at least has enough charisma to emerge from this unscathed - with credit even - but Zooey Deschanel lacks any of her co-stars talent or star-quality; a vacant, doe-eyed Anna Karina wannabe without a single spark of the underlying intelligence or screen voltage that made the great French model-actress so watchable, despite her limitations. And don't get me started on the vile, smug Yoda-child played with excrutiating didacticism by Chloe Moretz. As intellectually flaccid as the limp-wristed horror double of Garden State and The Last Kiss, (500) Days in Summer is exactly the kind of film that makes me want to nail all Smiths fans to the wall by their testicles/ labia.

Quite frankly, it's a film aimed squarely at sexually immature bed-wetters.

Murder on the Orient Express (2) is just dry, tedious TV movie of Agatha Christie's most contrived novel made with big Hollywood names. Albert Finney is usually great, but he is neutered by the role of Hercule Poirot, Anthony Perkins is at his twitchy worst, Ingrid Bergman stutters and stammers and bores and Martin Balsam exists solely to to say "I think he/ she did it" every ten minutes. It's a film totally lacking in charisma, wit and drama. A total waste of the heavy-weight cast assembled.

I've been through the many flaws of Avatar (2) many times before. It exists in the same void of disappointment as both (500) Days of Summer and Murder on the Orient Express. It's just slightly more enjoyable, that's all... But only in the way that being punched in the face is slightly more enjoyable than being kicked in the balls.

And, for the record, The Quiet Man (5) contains more cinematic magic in it's opening credits than those three films can muster in their combined six and a half hours.

"People think I have an interesting walk. Hell, I'm just trying to hold my gut in."

If I get there early will it be the right time
our heaven is just waiting so put your hand into mine.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 4184
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 2/4/2010 12:54:32 PM   
Pigeon Army

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harry Lime

However, In The Loop (3) was ok, but nothing more. A handful of funny sequences and a couple of decent performances (Gandolfini and McKee) but it is ultimately a toothless political satire that flounders in a running time well beyond the usual half-hour and too often ends up falling back to often upon Peter Capaldi's sweary Malcolm Tucker. Steve Coogan steals the film though.

Well, I've made my feelings about (500) Days of Summer (2) before...

The worst of the bunch was the ghastly (500) Days of Summer. I've seen it praised quite highly in a lot of quarters, including on these boards, and I can not, for the life of me, understand why at all. It's whiny, deeply pretentious sub-Before Sunrise emo wankery that, despite a few "quirky" visual tricks (which simply made me wish I was watching Amélie instead) plays on all the worst aspects of the too-cool-for-school characterisations and scenario's that are de rigeur in films of these type. Joseph Gordon Levitt at least has enough charisma to emerge from this unscathed - with credit even - but Zooey Deschanel lacks any of her co-stars talent or star-quality; a vacant, doe-eyed Anna Karina wannabe without a single spark of the underlying intelligence or screen voltage that made the great French model-actress so watchable, despite her limitations. And don't get me started on the vile, smug Yoda-child played with excrutiating didacticism by Chloe Moretz. As intellectually flaccid as the limp-wristed horror double of Garden State and The Last Kiss, (500) Days in Summer is exactly the kind of film that makes me want to nail all Smiths fans to the wall by their testicles/ labia.

Quite frankly, it's a film aimed squarely at sexually immature bed-wetters.

Also, good job sounding like a self-important twat with that line after the 500 Days review.

quote:

quote:

quote:

No.

(in reply to Harry Lime)
Post #: 4185
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 2/4/2010 1:14:02 PM   
Harry Lime

It's a fact though PA. I did the survey myself... Of those who said they enjoyed (500) Days of Summer

92% are virgins
8% are practising paedophiles
84% are left-handed
72% giggle at the word boobies
77% pretend to read the collected works of Ralph Waldo Emerson whilst drinking frappuccino at their local coffee house.
100% have wet their bed in the last six months

Of those who disliked the film...

100% can talk to the opposite sex without blushing
100% have not wet their bed in the last six months
100% are self-important twats

They're just facts. That's all I can give you.

"People think I have an interesting walk. Hell, I'm just trying to hold my gut in."

Post #: 4186
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 2/4/2010 1:17:48 PM   
Pigeon Army

quote:

It's a fact though PA. I did the survey myself... Of those who said they enjoyed (500) Days of Summer

84% are left-handed

Why you gotta be cruel like dat, Harry? What you got against left-handed people?

quote:

quote:

quote:

No.

(in reply to Harry Lime)
Post #: 4187
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 2/4/2010 1:28:51 PM   
elab49

Damn - Harry had me nodding all the way through till that last line.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

Post #: 4188
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 2/4/2010 1:29:25 PM   
Harry Lime

They just creep me out, man. Like when you see a child smoking a cigar or a dwarf in a pub. It's just not right.

Post #: 4189
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 2/4/2010 1:31:12 PM   
Pigeon Army

quote:

They just creep me out, man. Like when you see a child smoking a cigar or a dwarf in a pub. It's just not right.

You just wait. When the Southpaw Revolution comes, you'll be first against the wall.

quote:

I have a strong urge to change your title now.

quote:

quote:

quote:

No.

(in reply to Harry Lime)
Post #: 4190
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 2/4/2010 1:35:39 PM   
Deviation

These facts are suspicious, I demand a re-count.

quote:

quote:

Post #: 4191
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 2/4/2010 2:21:50 PM   
Dantes Inferno

What's wrong with being left-handed? It's nonconservative.

President of The Wire fan club. PM me to join.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 4192
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 2/4/2010 2:32:30 PM   
elab49

quote:

quote:

I have a strong urge to change your title now.

Not that I don't trust you, but I did just scroll up very quickly just in case!

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

Post #: 4193
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 2/4/2010 4:02:56 PM   
GoodBadGroovy

FIRST VIEWING FILM LIST 2010
MARCH

Films watched this month: 12. This months cinema trips were better than February, Shutter Island, Kick-Ass and I love You Philip Morris were all enjoyable.  Shutter Island is fantastic up until the finale, the more they explain, the less I'm convinced and the more contrived it seems.  ILYPM was 'Catch me if you Can' with more laughs and gay sex.  Kick-Ass has some well directed action and has an intersting mixture of fun/fuckedup, but struggles to keep a balanced tone, and to an extent was trying to do the same thing that Watchmen did last year - demonstrate the fuckedup idea of superheroes in the real world, and how ludicrous and horrible - yet still satisfying  - it is seeing a "superhero" breaking bones and spilling blood.

I watched the first two Death Wish films that, whilst dated and full of sledgehammer subtlety, are well directed and entertaining.  The score from the first film is especially great, and both films have really badass closing shots.

I watched the Burton Batman's, it's been so long since I last watched them and I'm not sure I ever watched them all the way through that they were more or less first watches.  I was really suprised to find out how poor the first film is.  It's quite bland, not particularly exciting, no memorable action scenes, the love interest spends the entire film screaming and has no redeaming features, the plot structure is quite lazy - just putting Batman into a fairly basic Hollywood story archetype "I don't know who killed my parents, oh look conveniantly it turns out to be the main villian so I can have my revenge and tie my emotional resolution to that of the plot" story arc. It feels very un-Batman-y.  Nicholson is often far too cheesy to ever be threatening (and the Joker's plot is far too convoluted and never really highlighted for him to ever seem like much of a threat).

I enjoyed the second more as Burton was let loose to craft a really bizarre tale (although it's a little too concentrated on The Penguin over Batman, Burton clearly finds him the more interesting) and the ending is a bit messy (how does Batman suddenly know about the penguin/rocket plot to just turn up and stop it?  And the whole subplot of Batman being framed is entirely unresolved.  It feels like they missed out a scene).  But at the same time it has a much darker and twisted comic book sensibilty, better action and The Penguin has a far more intersting story arc.

My film of the month goes to Good Hair, a really interesting documentry about black, american women and what they consider "good hair" and the lengths they go to get it.  There's a really sad moment where a 3 year old girl is asked why she has her hair straightened (with a dangerous chemical 'perm' that burns the scalp) and she just replies "'cos you're 'sposed to". 
:(

5/5

A Serious Man (Dir. Coen Brothers, 2009) January

4.5/5

After the Thin Man (Dir. W.S. Van Dyke, 1936) January
Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs (Dir. Phil Lord & Chris Miller, 2009) February

4/5

Big Fan (Dir. Robert D. Siegel, 2009) January
Shutter Island (Dir. Martin Scorsese, 2010) March
Kick-Ass (Dir. Matthew Vaughn, 2010) March
I Love you Philip Morris (Dir. Glenn Ficarra & John Requa, 2010) March
Up in the Air (Dir. Jason Reitman, 2010) January
Good Hair (Dir. Jeff Stilson, 2009) March
Another Thin Man (Dir. W.S. Van Dyke, 1939) January
Death Wish (Dir. Michael Winner, 1974) March

3.5/5

Adventureland
(Dir. Greg Mottola, 2009) January

Death Wish II (Dir. Michael Winner, 1982) March
Overnight (Dir. Tony Montana & Mark Brian Smith, 2003) March
The Thin Man (Dir. W.S. Van Dyke, 1934) January
The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift (Dir. Justin Lin, 2006) January
Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths (Dir. Sam Liu & Lauren Montgomery, 2010) February
Duplicity (Dir. Tony Gilroy, 2009) January
Batman Returns (Dir. Tim Burton, 1992) March
Daybreakers (Dir. Michael&Peter Speirig, 2010) January
The Book of Eli (Dir. Hughes Brothers, 2010) January
Youth in Revolt (Dir. Miguel Arteta, 2010) February
From Paris With Love (Dir. Pierre Morel, 2010) March
A Nightmare on Elm Street (Dir. Wes Craven, 1984) March

3/5

Out of Sight
(Dir. Steven Soderbergh, 1998) January

Shadow of The Thin Man (Dir. W.S. Van Dyke, 1941) February
Batman (Dir. Tim Burton, 1989) March
The Princess and the Frog (Dir. Ron Clements & John Musker, 2010) February
Fantasia (Dir. James Algar & Samuel Armstrong, 1940) February
Superman/Batman: Public Enemies (Dir. Sam Liu, 2009) March
The Wolfman (Dir. Joe Johnston, 2010) February

2.5/5

Universal Soldier (Dir. Roland Emerich, 1992) February
Fast and Furious (Dir. Justin Lin, 2009) January

2/5

1.5/5

1/5

Alvin and the Chipmunks (Dir. Tim Hill, 2007) April

0.5/5

0/5

Shorts

First Viewed Films Per Decade

2010s - 11
2000s - 11
1990s - 3
1980s - 3
1970s - 1
1960s -
1950s -
1940s - 2
1930s - 3
Pre 1929 - 

First viewed films per country

USA  - 34

FILM OF THE MONTH

JANUARY -
After the Thin Man
FEBRUARY - Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs
MARCH - Good Hair
APRIL
MAY
JUNE
JULY
AUGUST
SEPETEMBER
OCTOBER
NOVEMBER
DECEMBER

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 4194
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 2/4/2010 4:34:15 PM   
Deviation

quote:

ORIGINAL: GoodBadGroovy
 And the whole subplot of Batman being framed is entirely unresolved.  It feels like they missed out a scene).

I think the Burton Batman should have been a trilogy. Sadly the proper final act to the series was never made.

quote:

quote:

(in reply to GoodBadGroovy)
Post #: 4195
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 2/4/2010 5:10:26 PM   
GoodBadGroovy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation

quote:

ORIGINAL: GoodBadGroovy
 And the whole subplot of Batman being framed is entirely unresolved.  It feels like they missed out a scene).

I think the Burton Batman should have been a trilogy. Sadly the proper final act to the series was never made.

Returns definitely piqued my interest enough that I would have liked a 3rd Burton Batman.  I just kind of subconsciously add/remove scenes knowing this is the 'end' of his Batman.  Like the final shot of Catwoman looking at the bat signal, that was added weeks before the film was released so she could potentially be brought back in another film, but it feels entirely superfluous with her not returning for the sequels and takes away from the impact of her actions. I would have liked to see a kind of "The Long Halloween" progression with the next film - the freaks starting to take over Gotham's crime world.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 4196
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 2/4/2010 6:45:52 PM   
swordsandsandals

The Proposal 2/5

A film I've forgotten already. Nothing particularly loathsome. Nothing original. Nothing exciting. nothing particularly funny. It's just a forgettable, non event of a film.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rawlinson

Swords is right about everything.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hood_Man

Swords smells like bum.

(in reply to GoodBadGroovy)
Post #: 4197
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 2/4/2010 11:00:51 PM   
swordsandsandals

As You Like It (2206, Branagh) 3/5

I love Kenneth Branagh. He brings Shakespeare alive in a way that few can. Yet for some reason his As You Like It falls oddly flat. Perhaps its because it's a slightly weaker Shakespeare story. It's certainly one of his oddest. Placing this rather bitty narrative into 19th Century Japan only accentuates the odd structure of it, as well as being entirely unnecessary. This is a Shakespeare adaptation, and it is directed by Branagh, so it really can't be that bad. And it isn't. But it's not a patch on Much Ado About Nothing.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rawlinson

Swords is right about everything.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hood_Man

Swords smells like bum.

(in reply to swordsandsandals)
Post #: 4198
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 3/4/2010 9:07:17 AM   
jamesbondguy

I can't remember the last time I posted some stuff about films or whatever, so I shall try and remember what I've actually managed to see in the last couple of months. I can't be bothered to write reviews, as I've got a headache, so you'll have some sparklingly insightful few-word comments.

Chungking Express-
Brilliant.

Surrogates (Don't ask)-
Rubbish

Dans Paris-
Very good.

Saturday Night And Sunday Morning (4th or 5th viewing this year)-
Pretty much the best film ever made.

Hard Candy-
Oh, a Middle-brow exploitation film. How original/dull.

Hulmerist/Introducing Morrissey/Who Put The M In Manchester-
To be honest, I can't remmeber if we're supposed to include concert films here. But then again, it's fucking Morrissey. He deserves his place on any kind of list more than Surrogates or Hard Candy.

A Bout De Souffle-
Still very good.

Ziggy Stardust And The Spiders From Mars-
See Morrissey entry, really. Still it was pretty good.

Pickup On South Street-
Better than you.

Sherlock Holmes (2009- again, don't ask)-
Really quite tremendously bad.

I think that's it.

Just like Geoffrey Ingram.

(in reply to Beetlejuice!)
Post #: 4199
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 3/4/2010 11:17:26 AM   
Pigeon Army

quote:

ORIGINAL: jamesbondguy

Saturday Night And Sunday Morning (4th or 5th viewing this year)-
Pretty much the best film ever made.

Oh dear, his transition from French New Wave to British kitchen-sink realism is complete.

God help us all.

quote:

Hard Candy-
Oh, a Middle-brow exploitation film. How original/dull.

Didn't you once criticise Dantes for using "high-brow" as a marker for criticism?

quote:

Pickup On South Street-
Better than you.

It is pretty much fantastic. Richard Widmark is a legend.

quote:

Sherlock Holmes (2009- again, don't ask)-
Really quite tremendously bad.

Nah, I'm gonna ask. Why and why?

quote:

quote:

quote:

No.

(in reply to jamesbondguy)
Post #: 4200
Page:   <<   < prev  138 139 [140] 141 142   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 Page: <<   < prev  138 139 [140] 141 142   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI