Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 Page: <<   < prev  135 136 [137] 138 139   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 27/3/2010 9:23:03 AM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gimli The Dwarf
In general or just as an onscreen presence?

In general. She just seems a genuine, nice person. Most of her films are pretty awful, imo, but she just seems really sweet.

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 4081
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 27/3/2010 10:33:43 AM   
DCMaximo

quote:

ORIGINAL: rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gimli The Dwarf
In general or just as an onscreen presence?

In general. She just seems a genuine, nice person. Most of her films are pretty awful, imo, but she just seems really sweet.

So not the kind of person who deserves to be cheated on with a neo-nazi with a tattooed forehead?

New entry:
30. Enron: The Smartest Guys In The Room (2005, Gibney) 8/10
Fascinating documentary about the 2001 collapse of energy giants Enron. Based on the excellent book of the same name, the film can't go into the same detail as it's 400 page, small-print source, but benefits from being able to present us with real footage from the debacle, be it company CEO Jeff Skilling mocking California during it's statewide energy crisis or phone calls from Enron traders laughing about the money they've conned out of the public. The levels of greed, arrogance and stupidity on display are staggering and are well-documented from a well-chosen range of talking heads, including former Enron executives. If there is a flaw, it's that the film was made too early to include the results of the trials against Enron executives (that saw Skilling jailed for 24 years), but this is engrossing stuff.

The Spanish Inquisition of the 'Get Carlton Banks a TV Spin-off' Association

"Carlotta was the kind of town where they spell trouble T-R-U-B-I-L, and if you try to correct them, they kill you"

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 4082
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 27/3/2010 2:30:42 PM   
Deviation

quote:

Sandra Bullock is impossible to dislike, I think.

Even with her (I hope it was ironic) speech while presenting the Cinematography award at the Oscars? She almost became as annoying as Cheryl Cole.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 4083
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 27/3/2010 4:23:59 PM   
FritzlFan

Why delete all four posts? I did say it would be the last day that I'd mention the albums poll.

http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=2657046

It closes at midnight, so please vote if you haven't already done so..

< Message edited by FritzlFan -- 27/3/2010 6:13:28 PM >

quote:

ORIGINAL: Miles Messervy 007

Child labour is necessary in the short term

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 4084
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 28/3/2010 3:42:03 AM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation

quote:

Sandra Bullock is impossible to dislike, I think.

Even with her (I hope it was ironic) speech while presenting the Cinematography award at the Oscars? She almost became as annoying as Cheryl Cole.

In fairness, she didn't write the speech.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 4085
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 28/3/2010 3:50:30 AM   
homersimpson_esq

quote:

ORIGINAL: swordsandsandals

Ninja Assassin (2009, McTeigue) - 1/5 A ridiculous, dire film with some of the worst dialogue ever, atrocious acting and a lead that is blander than a bowl of gruel. It was so bad I even noticed things such as the sound mixing being dire, such is the overwhelming incompetence of this film. The characters are wholly uninvolving and it would be giving them too much credit to suggest they are one dimensional, yet what they have to say is even worse. Seemingly churning out every cliche in the book, as well as a ridiculous theme about hearts, this made me question whether I ever even liked V for Vendetta in the first place. On the other hand, watching it with a group of friends was a great laugh. The violence and gore in this are so ridiculously over the top that it's impossible not to laugh. It gets its mark purely on the strength of the belly laughs to be had from seeing a guy's face sliced in half.
One of the worst films I have ever seen, but still no way near as bad as the Room.

You read my review of this?

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to swordsandsandals)
Post #: 4086
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 28/3/2010 7:18:07 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

86. Before Winter Comes (1st view, 1969, J. lee Thompson) - 3/5*
Set in the immediate aftermath of WWII, this stars David Niven as a Major in the British Army who is charged with looking after a camp for displaced civilians, and to make decisions on whether they be moved to the American or Russian zones. Topol stars as one of the refugees who helps him out as an interpreter, but mistrust starts when they both fall for the same woman. Not in the same league as any other films I've seen from Thompson but still worth a look

98. Closing the Ring (1st view, 2007, Richard Attenborough) - 3/5*
A good cast includes Christopher Plummer, Pete Posthlethwaite and Shirley MacLaine, but the story of lost love that spans from 1941 to 1991 is predictable from the very beginning.

109. Lonesome Jim (1st view, 2005, Steve Buscemi) - 2/5*
Not as good as Buscemi's other directorial efforts.

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 4087
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 28/3/2010 11:48:55 AM   
Pigeon Army

94. Enter the Dragon (1973, Clouse, HKG/USA) - 3/5
While on the phone with my father today, I asked him why he neglected to show me this film when I was a child. He seemed baffled by the question, and asked if I was referring to the Bruce Lee film. On verification of that, he proceeded to say he didn't know and recommend Blind Fury as if that was somehow compensation for the discrepancies in the cinematic education he offered me. Enter the Dragon is a film that I feel, had I seen it when I was ten or eleven, I would have fallen in love with to this day, but as it stands, I only first experienced it in a class on East Asian cinema and, thus, I could not capture the lightning in a bottle childhood would have offered. This reimagination of Dr. No by way of a very Americanised 'Hong Kong' is enjoyable in its silliness, all the more enjoyable because it seems so unaware of how silly it is. Bruce Lee cuts through proceedings with a steely gaze and silly animal noises whenever he fights, and he's ably assisted in perpetuating the film's cheesiness by a leery John Saxon and Jim Kelly's swarthy afro-sporting Williams. The plot moves along with an usual lack of logic, and there are moments aplenty that seem to have been lost in some time-warp of 1970s kitschy silliness - the New Zealander who speaks with a rough Irish-American accent; Bruce Lee's philosophical teachings of a young student at the start; the inexplicable cages of nondescript drunks Han keeps under his island; the symbolism-heavy mirror fight that sports some impractical leaps of logic; "We, Mr. Braithwaite?"; etc. etc. Of course, when the film matters, it matters like a motherfucker - Bruce Lee's fighting skills are insane, ignoring that they're tempered by him calling his moves like he was a rooster, and Saxon, Kelly and Bolo Yeung are pretty excellent in support. It's a piece of stupid pulp fun, and while it's by no means high art, it is enjoyable while it lasts.

95. Hyeongsa (Duelist) (2005, Lee, SKR) - 3/5
It's practically impossible (unless the back of the DVD tells you) to work out what's going on in Duelist in the first ten-fifteen minutes. It opens with a sexy anecdote from a liver-spotted old drunk, but that anecdote goes nowhere and is quickly replaced by a blistering battle for what appear to be counterfeit coins, the three racers being a gang led by the eyepatch-sporting Eel, the Korean police, and an enigmatic masked swordsman. That battle soon gives way to a silly rugby game with bags of the coins in an out-of-left-field reference to Le million. Following that, we have a slow-motion sword fight and a breathtaking hunt for the swordsman through a back-alley filled with colourful sheets, then a Three Stooges-esque physical comedy routine as the police track Eel and his gang. Basically, Duelist is a film that demands you leave all preconceptions at the door, because there's a 99% chance they're wrong. It moves from beautifully-choreographed violence and high-charged emotions typical of a wuxia film to an odd brand of broad physical and verbal comedy about as often as its characters blink. It's a heady blend of serious sobbing-and-swordplay action and mugging humour that endears itself to the audience as often as it ingratiates itself. Of course, it's helped by veteran South Korean actor Ahn Sung-kee's brilliant turn as the jovial police partner of heroine Namsoon (Ha Ji-Won, who strikes an uneasy middle-ground between nuanced hysterics and brazen hawking for laughs) - Ahn is a delight to watch whenever he's on screen, his comedy timing and delivery perfect and his serious moments compelling. Kang Dong-won is convincing as assassin Sad-eyes, and Song Young-chang is perfectly slippery as the Minister of Defence, but it's Ahn who steals scene after scene, eclipsing all with his skill and talent. Lee Myung-se's direction is also stellar, and pushes the film into 'amazing' territory a lot of the time - it's the kind of visual direction that really deserves a better film than this, as it's hard not to look at the duels between Namsoon and Sad-eyes, or the big twenty-minute finale, or Namsoon's and Detective Ahn's scoping out of the Minister of Defence's house, and not be impressed by what's on display. However, Lee doesn't have a better film than this, and that's his own damned fault. The narrative is excessively convoluted and makes bizarre, unexplained leaps at regular intervals (how does Namsoon attach Sad-eyes to the Minister of Defence? What happened to Eel? What the hell is the Police Chief doing?). Furthermore, the 'romance' between the two leads is half-baked and badly developed, and any scene involving those two experiencing romantic 'strife' borders on intolerable. Furthermore, by descending into a grand wuxia opera in the final twenty minutes, Duelist sort of peters out, its delightfully unpredictable schizophrenia replaced with a rote swordplay film we've seen a hundred times before. Duelist is worth seeing for when it's good, because when it is, it's nothing short of amazing. It's just a pity that it can't maintain that consistency of quality.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rinc
She's supposed to be 13! I'd want her to be very attractive though

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat
quote:

ORIGINAL: Pigeon Army
Stop being mean to Deviation

No.

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 4088
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 28/3/2010 7:51:15 PM   
elab49

Detective Story (Wyler, 1951)

Noirish tale of a detective succumbing to his own anger that fails completely to escape its theatrical origins. Douglas is the angry man, son of an angry father, who behaves appallingly on hearing the secret his wife kept from him. It is a very good though limited performance, but that is more the character than Douglas. William Bendix is rather wonderful as the softer hearted cop trying to keep his friend together and give a young criminal another chance, while Douglas is unforgiving of the young man's mistakes, . Somewhat daringingly, the central investigation that pushes him to and over the edge centres round an abortionist.

The piece as a whole has some interesting ideas on crime and redemption but it is very very stagy, both in setting and dialogue, and that mutes some of its strength for me. But it does also act as an interesting representation of a 50s police Precinct, something not entirely unrecognisable when Ed McBain started writing about the 87th Precinct a few years later,

Spider Forest (Song, 2004)

Starting with a gorgeous shot, the film immediately gives you the hint that reality is being played with as the camera moves forward into the shot framed like a picture on the wall and the camera does some lovely work with the tall thin trees in the forest that glow silver and green and night. The story itself is disappointingly sign-posted given the loops it keeps moving back on within the narrative as a man stumbles away from a murder scene into hospital after being hit by a car. Already traumatised by the loss of his life, his sanity seems under thread as well.

This was one of Kim Newman's breakouts of the horror dungeon and I generally had problems putting it in the horror category at all a good deal of the focus is on the fairly well-played emotional breakdown of the lead, and not even the repeated spider motif would move it into the genre it claims to be, for me.

Overall, watchable but not as mysterious as I think it would like to be.

The Door (Wilson, 2008)

Oscar nominated short. A man sneaks into a deserted house to steal the ornately carved door. We soon realise that the house in in Chernobyl and ignoring the original warnings not to take any belongings has led to his return to the nice home he and his family had, from the cramped quarters in the city they were moved to.

Slight but not unaffecting.

Watchmen (Snyder, 2009)

Rewatches don't improve it, although I still greatly enjoy Rorschach and his time in prison is still probably the best part of the film. The fumbles are still obvious, Matthew Goode and Malin Akerman still completely stiff their roles.

Descent 2 (Harris, 2009)

Curious sequel for UK viewers given the original, proper, ending. And, unfortunately, like many horror sequels it more or less does exactly the same as the first time round a bunch of people in a cave get trapped and encounter the underground creatures from the first time round. Characters from the first film become unbelievable superwomen, Not something to waste a lot of time with.

Glorious 39 (Poliakoff, 2009)

Pompous tosh and you don't need the titles to recognise, very quickly, you're watching Poliakoff he repeats the same things so often one can only assume he has nothing new left (the structure (now and flashback), the family, the odd brother/sister, the wandering round (possibly the same basements as Joe's Palace), the use of pictures and music as symbols, the grand house and visitors. Increasingly, if you've seen one Poliakoff you've seen them all, and they now get worse because now he's directing, he doesn't have anyone even trying to control his work poorly directed, over-long, badly in need of a decent edit.

Retreading old territory on appeasement, his tale of an adopted girl makes little sense and is morally difficult when he tries to link scenarios to the Holocaust using dead animals and ridiculously making her a gypsy. Little subtlety and even less sense. There is a pretty awful attempt to set up a Gaslight scenario at one point, that is so obviously silly it beggars belief. And the framing construct that allows the story to be told ends on a reunion that lacks all credibility.

Few of the performers impress, but that is more the material than anything else. Interesting to see what the young Dumbledore looks like though.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to Pigeon Army)
Post #: 4089
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 28/3/2010 7:53:02 PM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pigeon Army

95. Hyeongsa (Duelist) (2005, Lee, SKR) - 3/5
It's practically impossible (unless the back of the DVD tells you) to work out what's going on in Duelist in the first ten-fifteen minutes. It opens with a sexy anecdote from a liver-spotted old drunk, but that anecdote goes nowhere and is quickly replaced by a blistering battle for what appear to be counterfeit coins, the three racers being a gang led by the eyepatch-sporting Eel, the Korean police, and an enigmatic masked swordsman. That battle soon gives way to a silly rugby game with bags of the coins in an out-of-left-field reference to Le million. Following that, we have a slow-motion sword fight and a breathtaking hunt for the swordsman through a back-alley filled with colourful sheets, then a Three Stooges-esque physical comedy routine as the police track Eel and his gang. Basically, Duelist is a film that demands you leave all preconceptions at the door, because there's a 99% chance they're wrong. It moves from beautifully-choreographed violence and high-charged emotions typical of a wuxia film to an odd brand of broad physical and verbal comedy about as often as its characters blink. It's a heady blend of serious sobbing-and-swordplay action and mugging humour that endears itself to the audience as often as it ingratiates itself. Of course, it's helped by veteran South Korean actor Ahn Sung-kee's brilliant turn as the jovial police partner of heroine Namsoon (Ha Ji-Won, who strikes an uneasy middle-ground between nuanced hysterics and brazen hawking for laughs) - Ahn is a delight to watch whenever he's on screen, his comedy timing and delivery perfect and his serious moments compelling. Kang Dong-won is convincing as assassin Sad-eyes, and Song Young-chang is perfectly slippery as the Minister of Defence, but it's Ahn who steals scene after scene, eclipsing all with his skill and talent. Lee Myung-se's direction is also stellar, and pushes the film into 'amazing' territory a lot of the time - it's the kind of visual direction that really deserves a better film than this, as it's hard not to look at the duels between Namsoon and Sad-eyes, or the big twenty-minute finale, or Namsoon's and Detective Ahn's scoping out of the Minister of Defence's house, and not be impressed by what's on display. However, Lee doesn't have a better film than this, and that's his own damned fault. The narrative is excessively convoluted and makes bizarre, unexplained leaps at regular intervals (how does Namsoon attach Sad-eyes to the Minister of Defence? What happened to Eel? What the hell is the Police Chief doing?). Furthermore, the 'romance' between the two leads is half-baked and badly developed, and any scene involving those two experiencing romantic 'strife' borders on intolerable. Furthermore, by descending into a grand wuxia opera in the final twenty minutes, Duelist sort of peters out, its delightfully unpredictable schizophrenia replaced with a rote swordplay film we've seen a hundred times before. Duelist is worth seeing for when it's good, because when it is, it's nothing short of amazing. It's just a pity that it can't maintain that consistency of quality.

A very fair take. I was really looking forward to this having adored Nowhere to Hide, and, although parts were pretty stunning, and it was often quite funny, it just didn't gel.

Have you seen Nowhere to Hide?

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

(in reply to Pigeon Army)
Post #: 4090
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 28/3/2010 8:38:06 PM   
Deviation

A Single Man (Tom Ford, 2009)- USA - 5/5

A very impressive debut from Tom Ford (finally contributing something to humanity that doesn't involve fashion.. grrrrr fashion industry) about the coping of a man with the loss of his beloved. It's fantastic all way round, and very touching.

Ginger and Fred (Federico Fellini, 1986)- ITA/FRA/GER- 4/5

The satire on the media is broad, fine but as subtle as a monster truck rally, it's not there where the film shines though, it's in the relationship between Masina's and Mastrioanni's beautifully portrayed characters and the lush, impressionistic visuals.

The Cove (Louie Psyhosos, 2009)- USA - 4/5

It's one sided and doesn't really say anything new, but it's extremely effective, well told and rather haunting as well.

quote:

There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 4091
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 28/3/2010 8:41:29 PM   
elab49

Dev, why are you now marking out of 5? I've gotten used to your .8s and all.

quote:

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 4092
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 29/3/2010 1:17:27 AM   
Deviation

I've been getting complaints by Ranking Nazis.

quote:

quote:

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 4093
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 29/3/2010 5:26:11 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

19. Battle Cry (1st view, 1955, Raoul Walsh) - 4/5*
Fantastic WWII following a group of marines from training though to an assault against the Japanese. Patriotic gung-ho is balanced out with some surprisingly effective romances and a thrilling finale.

47. Rendition (2nd view, 2007, Gavin Hood) - 4/5

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 4094
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 29/3/2010 11:37:14 AM   
Miles Messervy 007

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation

I've been getting complaints by Ranking Nazis.

quote:

jamesbondguy:
Miles is clearly the finest film theorist of his generation

quote:

Deviation:
if it isn't ham, I'll eat a living pig.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 4095
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 29/3/2010 12:25:46 PM   
Gram123

quote:

74. Northfork (2003; Michael Polish)

Offbeat fantasy from the brothers who brought us the greatly underrated Twin Falls Idaho. Northfork is set in the mid 50s in a small Montana town. The town is being evacuated in order to be flooded. A group of federal agents are sent in to evict the residents who refuse to leave. During the evacuation a young couple leave thier dying son with the town priest. The boy deals with his oncoming death by dreaming he's a lost angel. During these fever dreams he meets a group of misfits who are also angels. The film is basically a slow, dream-like watch over the death of a boy and a town. The narrative looseness means that Northfork is definitely not a film for everyone, but I found myself absolutely entranced by this visually wonderful slice of magic realism.

9/10

Yay! You rated it rather higher than me, but still,

Gram123's Top Songs Project

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 4096
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 29/3/2010 2:19:22 PM   
paul_ie86

9. The King Of Comedy (Martin Scorcese, 1982)
Still my favourite Scorcese and my second favourite De Niro performance.

My Group Project's facebook page. Please like

(in reply to Gram123)
Post #: 4097
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 29/3/2010 2:46:06 PM   
Epiphany Demon

quote:

ORIGINAL: paul_ie86

9. The King Of Comedy (Martin Scorcese, 1982)
Still my favourite Scorcese and my second favourite De Niro performance.

Swap the 'second' from De Niro performance to Scorsese and that's spot on for me. Brilliant film.

THE ALTERNATIVE LOOK AT BOB DYLAN'S DISCOGRAPHY - ONE DAY MAYBE I'LL FINISH IT

(in reply to paul_ie86)
Post #: 4098
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 29/3/2010 3:54:38 PM   
matty_b

Yup, my favourite Scorsese too.  Not my all-time favourite De Niro, but definitely top five and probably top three.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to Epiphany Demon)
Post #: 4099
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 29/3/2010 7:18:54 PM   
paul_ie86

66.Planes, Trains & Automobiles (John Hughes, 1987)
Disappointed with this.

Shorts
5. Plastic Bag (Ramin Bahrani, 2009) Watch here
Werner Herzog voices a plastic bag contemplating his immortality. Need I say more

Die Hard (Konstantin Bronzit, 1998)Watch here
The directors two minute interpretation of Die Hard. It's funny

< Message edited by paul_ie86 -- 29/3/2010 7:23:31 PM >

My Group Project's facebook page. Please like

(in reply to GoodBadGroovy)
Post #: 4100
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 29/3/2010 7:44:52 PM   
matty_b

Anvil: The Story of Anvil (Sasha Gervasai)

SPOILERS Being no fan of the metal genre, I wasn't sure what I would make of this, but it was an engaging, humourous and genuine look at Anvil, a heavy metal band from the 80s who never made it big. The core of the band is singer Lipps and drummer Robb Reiner (yes, really) as they attempt at recording their 13th album, interspersed with sporadic gigging around the world to pitifully small crowds while holding down a day job. Personally, I think the metal genre is the most inherently genre of music I can think and Anvil and Gervasai are well aware. Thus, the documentary is full of affection for Lipps and Reiner, two men whose devotion to their particular cause is admirable, while not shying away from their basic inadequacies and failures as musicians. There are Tap-esque moments aplenty, such as a memorable band meltdown in Prague, but overall they are very, very likeable guys to follow (including a teary make-up after a band argument) and while this genre doesn't particulary shed any new light on the genre or the culture of the fandom behind it, it's memorable enough. And the final gig appearance when Lipps' fears that their gig in Japan is going to flop badly only to be presented with a good thousand people roaring them on in approval is pretty damn delightful (although the cynic in me smells some directorial influence in the attendance there) (8/10)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to paul_ie86)
Post #: 4101
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 29/3/2010 9:34:54 PM   
Miles Messervy 007

Features:

31. Roman Holiday (1953, Wyler)
Hepburn is the loveliest actress to have ever lived. Peck is great. Cool cinematography by Alekan. Great slapstick, and then that ending... Superb. 8

48. A Night at the Opera (1935, Wood)
Hilarious, but lacks the intensity of Duck Soup, as it's dragged down by the love story and by the music (especially that Italian sequence on the boat), even though these are decent. A very low 8, because Groucho is just too awesome to give this a 7.

74. Les amants (1958, Malle)
Distinctly meh. Hilariously overdone. Only plus is the cinematography and naked Jeanne Moreau (even though I don't find her beautiful, there is something irresistible about her). Also, the story moves from point to point without any coherence, and the voiceover is awful. 5 Thanks for ruining my great statistic for March, Malle.

Shorts:

30. The Wearing of the Grin (1951, Jones) {7 mins} video.google
Caught this along with the other two on Boomerang. Quite entertaining, reminded me of Fleischer's shorts perhaps more than of Jones's usual collaborations with Maltese. 7

32. Wackiki Wabbit (1943, Jones) {7 mins} youtube
Pretty standard stuff, though Bugs always rocks. Interesting animation. 7

34. Mexican Boarders (1953, Freleng) {7 mins} youtube
Looney Tunes shouldn't attempt to do cat vs mouse. These always comprare unfavourably to the famous duo. One good gag, the rest is quite meh. 6

quote:

jamesbondguy:
Miles is clearly the finest film theorist of his generation

quote:

Deviation:
if it isn't ham, I'll eat a living pig.

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 4102
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 30/3/2010 10:55:58 AM   
MOTH

In at #2...
High & Low (Kurosawa, 1963)
Two films for the price of one. First, a gripping kidnap drama, then an interesting police procedural which leads to an exciting, and brilliantly staged, climax. The first part is slightly stagy, the second part slightly overlong, but Kurosawa's ability to elevate standard thriller material into something more allegorical sets this a cut above the rest. (9/10)

In at #10...
Kes (Ken Loach, 1963)
Not as affecting as I had been led to believe, but David Bradley's naturalistic performance is great, and Loach balances the comic and serious elements of the story well (8/10)

I've only gone and set up a blog! This week I've been mostly reviewing The Lego Movie and Wadjda. Click: The Fast Picture Show

(in reply to Miles Messervy 007)
Post #: 4103
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 30/3/2010 1:06:42 PM   
Jasiri

The Masseurs and a Woman (1938,Hiroshi Shimzu)
A Story of Cruelty During the Shogunate's Downfall (1964,Kato Tai)
Das Weisse Band (2009,Michael Haneke)
The Ambitious (1970,Daisuke Ito)
Street Mobster (1972,Kinji Fukusaku)

(in reply to MOTH)
Post #: 4104
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 30/3/2010 1:16:07 PM   
Deviation

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jasiri

Das Weisse Band (2009,Michael Haneke)

Did you love it?

quote:

quote:

(in reply to Jasiri)
Post #: 4105
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 30/3/2010 1:36:26 PM   
swordsandsandals

quote:

ORIGINAL: homersimpson_esq

quote:

Ninja Assassin (2009, McTeigue) - 1/5 A ridiculous, dire film with some of the worst dialogue ever, atrocious acting and a lead that is blander than a bowl of gruel. It was so bad I even noticed things such as the sound mixing being dire, such is the overwhelming incompetence of this film. The characters are wholly uninvolving and it would be giving them too much credit to suggest they are one dimensional, yet what they have to say is even worse. Seemingly churning out every cliche in the book, as well as a ridiculous theme about hearts, this made me question whether I ever even liked V for Vendetta in the first place. On the other hand, watching it with a group of friends was a great laugh. The violence and gore in this are so ridiculously over the top that it's impossible not to laugh. It gets its mark purely on the strength of the belly laughs to be had from seeing a guy's face sliced in half.
One of the worst films I have ever seen, but still no way near as bad as the Room.

You read my review of this?

It was one of the reasons I was persuaded to watch it in the first place...

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rawlinson

Swords is right about everything.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hood_Man

Swords smells like bum.

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 4106
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 30/3/2010 1:46:12 PM   
swordsandsandals

On my journey from Ed => IOM yesterday I watched:

The Seventh Seal (Bergman) - Giving this a rating is entirely arbitrary. I mean, it was an involving plot and all, but surely it's not just about the plot? I'm not sure I really got it. There were lots of BIG IDEAS and themes and stuff, but none of it really seemed to sink in. So giving it a rating would be pointless as I won't have fully developed an opinion on it until I watch it again

Tell No One (Canet) - 3/5 An effective, competent thriller that lacked imagination.

quote:

quote:

Swords smells like bum.

Post #: 4107
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 30/3/2010 3:49:06 PM   
swordsandsandals

Psycho (Hitchcock) - 4/5

It's a real shame that I knew almost every plot beat of Psycho. I'd heard all about the plot before through various magazines and books, and I even knew that the stash of money wasn't important, nor was Janet Leigh going to stick around for long. As for Norman Bates, his role is almost as famous as that of TyIer Durden's or Darth Vader's when it comes to plot spoilers that everyone knows. It's a shame because these are audacious, thrilling moves by Hitchcock, and as a result the full impact of this film was lost on me. Yet as with all Hitchcock films, even those for which I didn't know the plot, I was left unsatisfied. His films are masterful examinations in how to create tension, and in this respect Psycho is probably the best of the lot. Using just about every trick in the book (a book which, it seems, he wrote), Hitch can create fear like no one else can. Yet it's at the expense of everything else. So, in short, Psycho is a technically superb film that I failed to love.

quote:

quote:

Swords smells like bum.

Post #: 4108
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 30/3/2010 3:55:36 PM   
Deviation

quote:

On my journey from Ed => IOM yesterday I watched:

The Seventh Seal (Bergman) - Giving this a rating is entirely arbitrary. I mean, it was an involving plot and all, but surely it's not just about the plot? I'm not sure I really got it. There were lots of BIG IDEAS and themes and stuff, but none of it really seemed to sink in. So giving it a rating would be pointless as I won't have fully developed an opinion on it until I watch it again

5/5 and you'll be fine.

Then watch Wild Strawberries.

quote:

quote:

Post #: 4109
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 30/3/2010 4:17:32 PM   
swordsandsandals

Does Bergman have a penchant for wild strawberries or something? Cause there was a scene in The Seventh Seal with them as well.

quote:

quote:

Swords smells like bum.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 4110
Page:   <<   < prev  135 136 [137] 138 139   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 Page: <<   < prev  135 136 [137] 138 139   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI