Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 Page: <<   < prev  134 135 [136] 137 138   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 23/3/2010 6:12:37 PM   
Deviation

Bunny Lake is Missing (Otto Preminger, 1965)- UK - 7/10
The cinematography, direction and most of the performances found in the film are certainly strong, and Preminger does a great job making an unrealistic, unconvincing plot compelling. The premise is great, a woman looses her child and there is the potential that the child doesn't exist and that she is rather insane, when the truth is that she is being the lab rat of alien experiment.....oh wait, wrong film. Though the plot does have some bizarre plot turns (thankfully none as predictable as the one with aliens, or ridiculous), it simply doesn't feel right. One character has a sudden makeover in the third act and the third act itself feels as if belonging to a different film. I am not sure whether this is what makes the film unique or something of a flawed curiosity. Also some characters seem to act rather foolishly just to keep plot moving. It's certainly worth a watch, and certainly infinitely superior than other films with a similar premise, and aliens.

Suspiria (Argento, 1977)- ITA -  7/10
Some poor acting or dubbing (saw it in English), dodgy special effects (that bat looks rubbish now and it probably looked rubbish then) and a slightly dragging central act (Argento really never had Hitchcock's narrative talent) are saved by a great premise, Argento's fantastic direction, stunning visuals and actual imagination on show. It's not his best, but still in itself a very good film.

The Brothers Bloom (Johnson, 2009)- USA - 6.9/10

OMG IT'S DIRECTED AND WRITTEN BY THE DIRECTOR OF BRICK, I WONDER IF PIGEON ARMY SAW THIS, OMG, I WONDER HOW MUCH PA WANTS TO SEE THIS, AND OH HOW MUCH I ENJOYED IT, SUCH A SHAME PA HASN'T SEEN IT.
Ok, so it pretty much fun, succeeding in being eccentric, quirky, smart hilarious and cool without ever feeling forced or trying to hard. The cast and Johnson do an incredible job,, the leading four giving confident performances while Johnson creates a beautiful world around them. Problem comes from the just barely adequate developed characters (understandable in the first 90 minutes considering these con men aren't really being themselves, becomes rather bland after that), the ellipsis between three months and two hours feel completely the same and the whole "Is it reality, or is it a con?" becomes a bit tiring and overdone at the end, but it doesn't really detract from the fact that it is fantastic fun. I wonder how much PA would have liked to see it.

The Return of the Living Dead (O'Bannon, 1985)- USA - 6/10
What fantastic, cheesy, corny, hilarious fun.

Don Van Vliet: Some YoYo Stuff (Corbijn, 1994, S)- UK - 7/10
It's interesting and visually arresting, but knowing little on the musician himself, it did little to introduce me to him. Still, a great effort.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to swordsandsandals)
Post #: 4051
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 23/3/2010 6:16:14 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation

"Send more paramedics."

Jayb, you have a pm, btw.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 4052
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 23/3/2010 6:22:23 PM   
Epiphany Demon

Tschh Olaf, teh wastemanz just gassin' now. Shank him up blud.

THE ALTERNATIVE LOOK AT BOB DYLAN'S DISCOGRAPHY - ONE DAY MAYBE I'LL FINISH IT

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 4053
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 23/3/2010 6:25:08 PM   
Deviation

quote:

ORIGINAL: rawlinson

quote:

"Send more paramedics."

Jayb, you have a pm, btw.

"See? You made me hurt myself again! I broke my hand off completely at the wrist this time, Tina! But that's okay, Darlin', because I love you, and that's why you have to let me EAT YOUR BRAAAAAAAAAAAIIIIIIIIIIIINS"

quote:

There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 4054
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 23/3/2010 6:25:45 PM   
jamesbondguy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Epiphany Demon

/endthread

Just like Geoffrey Ingram.

(in reply to Epiphany Demon)
Post #: 4055
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 23/3/2010 6:26:39 PM   
Epiphany Demon

quote:

ORIGINAL: jamesbondguy

quote:

/endthread

This is the second time I've been /endthread-ed now!

THE ALTERNATIVE LOOK AT BOB DYLAN'S DISCOGRAPHY - ONE DAY MAYBE I'LL FINISH IT

(in reply to jamesbondguy)
Post #: 4056
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 23/3/2010 6:28:57 PM   
FritzlFan

quote:

ORIGINAL: FritzlFan

Shorts:

Don Van Vliet: Some Yo Yo Stuff (Anton Corbijn, 1994)

quote:

Don Van Vliet: Some YoYo Stuff (Corbijn, 1994, S)

Eat your heart out, rawlinson. I'll be the one Dev will be getting recommendations from now.

< Message edited by FritzlFan -- 23/3/2010 6:38:13 PM >

quote:

ORIGINAL: Miles Messervy 007

Child labour is necessary in the short term

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 4057
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 23/3/2010 6:32:02 PM   
jamesbondguy

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: jamesbondguy

quote:

/endthread

This is the second time I've been /endthread-ed now!

Nothing posted after this point could top it, though. It's the logical conclusion of film discussion.

Just like Geoffrey Ingram.

Post #: 4058
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 23/3/2010 6:37:16 PM   
Deviation

JayB is a moist bloody labia. 

quote:

quote:

(in reply to jamesbondguy)
Post #: 4059
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 23/3/2010 8:11:25 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

quote:

Shorts:

Don Van Vliet: Some Yo Yo Stuff (Anton Corbijn, 1994)

quote:

Don Van Vliet: Some YoYo Stuff (Corbijn, 1994, S)

Eat your heart out, rawlinson. I'll be the one Dev will be getting recommendations from now.

It was a good recommendation.

(in reply to FritzlFan)
Post #: 4060
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 23/3/2010 11:12:30 PM   
paul_ie86

26. I Love You Phillip Morris (Glenn Ficarra & John Requa, 2010)
Another day, another romance that completely drew me in completely (the first is here). It balances the comedy and drama very effectively and contains a superb turn from Carrey which may have been in contention for an Oscar had the film been released in time over in the States. And it is very much Carrey's show. While co-star Ewan Mc Gregor (who by the way seems to be in every second film in the last few months ) is good, his performance doesn't hold a candle to Carrey's. That said, I don't think he is given much to do other than be rescued and pampered.

< Message edited by paul_ie86 -- 23/3/2010 11:16:03 PM >

My Group Project's facebook page. Please like

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 4061
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 24/3/2010 1:22:24 AM   
Pigeon Army

quote:

OMG IT'S DIRECTED AND WRITTEN BY THE DIRECTOR OF BRICK, I WONDER IF PIGEON ARMY SAW THIS, OMG, I WONDER HOW MUCH PA WANTS TO SEE THIS, AND OH HOW MUCH I ENJOYED IT, SUCH A SHAME PA HASN'T SEEN IT

I could ban you right now, and no-one would miss you.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rinc
She's supposed to be 13! I'd want her to be very attractive though

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat
quote:

ORIGINAL: Pigeon Army
Stop being mean to Deviation

No.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 4062
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 24/3/2010 5:56:56 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

19. Battleground (1st view, 1949, William A. Wellman) - 4/5*
With the exception of the Band Of Brothers episodes, this is probably the best depiction I've seen of the Battle Of The Bulge. There's no shying away from the violence, but the emphasis here is on the characters and how they adapt to the conditions. Excellent.

31. Joe Kidd (1st view, 1972, John Sturges) - 4/5*
I thought I'd seen all of Clint Eastwood's westerns, but this one must have passed me by. Robert Duvall is the villain, and he's a fine addition to any film, and to top it off it's directed by the man behind The Great Escape and Bad Day At Black Rock. Not quite as good as it perhaps should be, but Joe Kidd is one of Eastwood's more endearing heroes, and it's not everyday you get somebody driving a train into a general store!

57. The Thief (1st view, 1962, Russell Rouse) - 4/5*
Ray Milland stars as a physicist who's also a spy working for a foreign country. A decent cold war thriller that's entirely without dialogue, which both helps and hinders the film overall.

77. The Cross of Lorraine (1st view, 1943, Tay Garnett) - 3/5*
I think this is the first film I've seen Gene Kelly in that isn't a musical. He's one of a group of French soldiers taken captive and transported to a POW camp. Peter Lorre and Hume Cronyn are on hand with solid support.

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to Pigeon Army)
Post #: 4063
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 24/3/2010 9:18:00 AM   
MOTH

Shutter Island (Scorsese, 2010)
A fairly routine thriller from Scorsese, the premise of which depends so much on every character behaving a certain way that it stretches credibility to breaking point. It's well assembled and played, particularly by diCaprio, but the climactic revelations upon which the whole story hangs are disappointingly obvious, with the real surprise being the lack of an extra trick up the sleeve, meaning many viewers will leave thinking 'is that it?'. Watchable, but forgettable (5/10)

I've only gone and set up a blog! This week I've been mostly reviewing The Lego Movie and Wadjda. Click: The Fast Picture Show

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 4064
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 24/3/2010 9:28:41 AM   
Rinc

quote:

ORIGINAL: MOTH

Shutter Island (Scorsese, 2010)
A fairly routine thriller from Scorsese, the premise of which depends so much on every character behaving a certain way that it stretches credibility to breaking point. It's well assembled and played, particularly by diCaprio, but the climactic revelations upon which the whole story hangs are disappointingly obvious, with the real surprise being the lack of an extra trick up the sleeve, meaning many viewers will leave thinking 'is that it?'. Watchable, but forgettable (5/10)

That's a pretty good summing up. I was expecting more towards the end, certainly another revelation, rather than what we got which was pretty obvious from the trailer. Di Caprio was very good in the detective role though, for once I actually believed in his character!

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:
[ color=#F1F1F1 ]text[ /color ]

(in reply to MOTH)
Post #: 4065
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 24/3/2010 12:51:25 PM   
DCMaximo

quote:

Loved both these films, I think Rinko Kikuchi put in my favourite female performance of last year in The Brothers Bloom, and I agree that it's loads of fun. Return Of The Living Dead is endlessly quotable- "Why are you eating people?" "Not people-BRAINS!"

New entries:
32. Grand Theft Parsons (2003, Caffrey) 8/10
Fine comedy based on the real-life tale of Gram Parson's road manager stealing his corpse to fulfil his promise to cremate him in the desert. Although the story is true, the film takes care to advise from the beginning that some parts are fictionalised. This honesty means that, rather than doubting the realism of the film, I could instead concentrate on enjoying the film, which is hilarious in places. Most of this comes from the chemistry between Johnny Knoxville as Phil Kaufman (the man stealing the body) and Michael Shannon, who is hilarious as an anxious hippy Kaufman cons into letting him use his hearse. Theirs is a partnership based on bickering and deceit, but both are likable enough to retain the audience's affection, and this is probably the best use yet of Knoxville's naturally affable nature in an acting role. Christina Applegate, as Parson's money-grabbing girlfriend, and Robert Forster both put in sterling support.

49. A Nightmare On Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors (1987, Russell) 6/10
I'm not a big fan of the Elm Street series, especially the later ones which descended into self-parody and made child-killer Freddy into a cheerful joker. Part 3, however, is still pretty good and actually my favourite of the whole series. From the spectacular Dokken theme song to the interesting premise (Freddy's decision to only attack patients in a mental hospital which actually makes him seem more evil, and is also nicely tied into Freddy's backstory), there has actually been some thought put into this one. It even refrains from overusing the irritating script device where everyone thinks they're safe, only for it to be a dream (a real fault with the second film). Some performances are weak (Heather Langenkamp still can't act), but it's still better than it has any right to be.

Performance Additions
27. Michael Shannon as Larry Oster-Berg (Grand Theft Parsons)

The Spanish Inquisition of the 'Get Carlton Banks a TV Spin-off' Association

"Carlotta was the kind of town where they spell trouble T-R-U-B-I-L, and if you try to correct them, they kill you"

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 4066
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 24/3/2010 3:14:40 PM   
Gram123

quote:

I fail to see how Invention Of Lying can get 4.5 out of anything it's utter utter shit.

I don't really have any desire to defend a film that I rated as below average. I'll just say that yes, maybe the rating is a little generous, but I've definitely seen worse films this year.

I think the problem is, I seem to be rating things relative to one another. When I'm considering where to place a film in my list for the year, I'm thinking was that better or worse than <xyz>?

I deemed The Invention of Lying to be worse than Ashes of Time, but better than Surrogates, so that's where it got slotted in. That meant it had to have a rating no higher than 5.5, and no lower than 4.0. As the year goes on, I end up shuffling things about, and ratings do change, so this might well drop a bit (as may Surrogates, and some of those other crappy films below it).

Gram123's Top Songs Project

Post #: 4067
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 24/3/2010 3:51:21 PM   
matty_b

Shutter Island (Martin Scorsese)

SPOILERS A few of the reviews I've read for this have complained that it never feels like a Scorsese film - which is actually one of the things I loved about it. I rate Scorsese, but his previous films this decade have all felt like he's trying too hard to make a 'Scorsese film', is the best way I think I can put it. This actually feels fresh and like he's trying something that he hasn't done since Cape Fear - just have some fun with juicy, pulpy material. And it works for the most part. It feels overlong - too many flashbacks - but it has an atmosphere so thick you could slice it, ridiculous doomy music that practically belows "BAD THINGS! BAD THINGS ARE GOING TO HAPPEN!" in your ear, it summons up the ghosts of The Shining and Vertigo as well as numerous schlocky 50s horror b-movies, and I really, really dug what Scorsese was doing. I read the book some years ago so knew what was going to happen, but thought Scorsese built the story up well. I don't think the twist was the important point, it was about DiCaprio's disintegrating state of mind as he chased his own tail. DiCaprio was good, Kingsley was equal parts creepy, slimy and too-welcoming and small parts from Ted Levine and Max von Sydow were also well handled. Star of the show was Mark Ruffalo though, as DiCaprio's 'partner'. As I say I knew who he was all along, so could appreciate the subtle half-glances he kept throwing DiCaprio's way, the way he held himself during certain scenes, how he approached certain revelations. A great performance. In short it's not the greatest, most profound, or interesting thing Scorsese has ever done, but it's one that bludgeons you to death with its oppressive tone and head-spinning twists and turns - and I appreciated it greatly. (8.5/10)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to Gram123)
Post #: 4068
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 25/3/2010 6:23:29 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

27. Mission: Impossible 3 (3rd view, 2006, J.J. Abrams) - 4/5
45. Mission: Impossible (5th view, 1998, Brain De Palma) - 4/5
70. Mission: Impossible 2 (4th view, 2000, John Woo) - 3/5

I've only seen the first film five times in full, but I've lost count how many times I've caught moments on the ITV channels. It feels like it's on everyday, and I always, always, always, ALWAYS end up seeing the Langley break-in sequence. (Poor old William Donloe ). Very effective action thriller, though it doesn't make a lick of sense. The second film is worth watching simply to see how Tom Cruise's shampoo advert flowing locks remains unruffled throughout, and I think it also gets an award for most unnecessary slo-mo in any film ever. The third's the most fun, and also the only one in which it looks like Hunt's actually in any danger.

40. The Most Dangerous Man in America (1st view, 2009, Judith Ehrlich, Rick Goldsmith) - 4/5*
One the of nominees for this years's Best Documentary Oscar, telling the story of Daniel Ellsberg and how he leaked top secret papers about the Vietnam War. A part of recent US history I was only vaguely aware of, so it was interesting to learn more.

42. Hot Rod (1st view, 2007, Akiva Schaffer) - 4/5*
I watched this on the basis that it was in Great Badir's list last year (where is he?) The comedy is generally stupid, often incredibly so, but manages to stay fresh and funny.

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Much more better!

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 4069
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 25/3/2010 5:25:04 PM   
rick_7

Partie time

#3. Partie de campagne (Jean Renoir, 1936) is one of the great unfinished films. Usually such projects exist in tantalising snippets because a director snuffed it before realising his vision, or failed to get a movie off the ground due to short-sighted financiers. In this case, Renoir quit because it kept raining. Admittedly it rained for much of a six-week shoot, but even so... Happily, the 40-minute Partie de campagne doesn't seem unfinished, with an intriguingly-paced three-act structure that works just fine and a heady summer atmosphere that stands as perhaps the most inspired example of its director's quiet lyricism. It's an often breathtaking pastoral film, creating a fully-realised rural world a la Tol'able David and Louisiana Story (see #24) into which to throw our protagonists.

Sylvia Bataille is Henriette, a Parisian girl who decamps to the countryside for the weekend with her parents, her grandmother and her fiance. There, she and her mother (Jane Marken) encounter a prospective-family-man-cum-intense-romantic and his caddish mate, who sweep them off their feet and onto a pair of rowing boats. But this is 19th century France, and the ties that bind won't slacken just because someone's fallen in love.

The film is gentle, entertaining and sometimes very funny, benefiting from superb performances by Bataille, Marken and young romeos Georges D'Arnoux and Jacques B. Brunius, a luscious musical score composed for its 1946 release and Renoir's effortless, transcendent handling of the material. Its coda is absolutely heartbreaking: the perfect wrap-up for a film that's shot through with unshakeable conviction and a tangible love of the countryside. Renoir's fondness for Bataille's expressive, elfin face is just as obvious - he would return to it later the same year in his fascinating serio-comic polemic Le crime de Monsieur Lange. A set piece here that sees her guilelessly embrace the pleasures of a swing is slight but somehow unforgettable. Elsewhere, Renoir's script matches the exalted treatment, encompassing as it does themes of nostalgia, teary joy and the essence of being.

But Partie de campagne does have one - perhaps major - flaw, so bizarre as to be unintelligible. That's the presentation of the father and the fiance, Anatole, as music hall imbeciles. The younger is particularly ridiculous, resembling a young Stan Laurel as he repeatedly squawks and wobbles his bottom lip. For that matter, the dad looks not unlike Oliver Hardy. Really odd. Perhaps Renoir, adapting Guy de Maupassant's novel, is making a satiric point about the unredeemable unsuitability of the young couple, or the ineptitude of Parisians cast adrift several miles from the big city, but it's a directorial decision that's never really justified.

Still, that's the only gripe about this amazing piece of work, which largely hums with brilliance and ultimately stands shoulder-to-shoulder with
La grande illusion (see #62) as the director's greatest achievement.(4)

Trivia note: That's Renoir himself as the restaurateur, Poulain.

*Wendy Hiller fanboy*

Blog: DJANGO! DUMBO! DESPICABLE ME 2! Plus: other stuff.

"Nothin's really been right since Sam the Lion died."

Post #: 4070
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 25/3/2010 5:38:48 PM   
FritzlFan

quote:

ORIGINAL: rick_7

#3. Partie de campagne (Jean Renoir, 1936) is one of the great unfinished films.

Superb film. I wonder if it would make your TOP 20 ALBUMS list? http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=2657046

quote:

ORIGINAL: Miles Messervy 007

Child labour is necessary in the short term

(in reply to rick_7)
Post #: 4071
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 25/3/2010 7:38:04 PM   
fernetcontonica

1. Singapore Sling: O anthropos pou agapise ena ptoma (Nikos Nikolaidis, 1990) 9?/10
2. Seul Contre Tous (Gaspar Noť, 1998) 9?/10
3. Crna macka, Beli macor (Emir Kusturica, 1998) 9?/10
4. Spiklenci Slasti (Jan Svankmajer, 1996) 9?/10
5. Adela jeste neverecela (Oldrich Lipsky, 1978) 8?/10
6. Pontypool (Bruce McDonald, 2008) 8?/10
7. The Wrestler (Darren Aranofsky, 2008) 8?/10
8. Brick (Rian Johnson, 2005) 8/10
9. The Field (Jim Sheridan, 1990) 8?/10
10. Martyrs (Pascal Laugier, 2008) 8?/10
11. Antichrist (Lars Von Trier, 2009) 8?/10
12. The Broken 8?/10 (Sean Ellis, 2008) 8/10
13. Mission to Mars (Brian De Palma, 2000) 8?/10
14. Iris (Aurelio Grimaldi, 2000) 8/10
15. Paranoid Park (Gus Van Sant, 2007) 7?/10
16. A Home at the end of the world (Michael Mayer, 2004)
17. Bandits (Barry Levinson, 2001) 7/10
18. A Dirty Shame (John Waters, 2004) 7/10
19. Dawn of the Dead (Zack Snyder, 2004)
20. The Hills Have Eyes (Alexandre Aja, 2006) 7/10
21. The Game (David Fincher, 1997) 7/10
22. Harvard Man (James Toback, 2001) 7/10
23. Pandorum (Christian Alvart, 2009) 7/10
24. Feast II: Sloppy Seconds (John Gulager, 2008) 7/10
25. Ratatouille (Brad Bird, 2007) 7/10
26. Hellboy (Guillermo del Toro, 2004) 7/10
27. The Haunting in Connecticut (Peter Cornwell, 2009) 7/10
28. Zombieland (Ruben Fleischer, 2009) 7/10
29. The Girl Next Door (Luke Greenfield, 2004) 7/10
30. Feast III: The Happy Finish (John Gulager, 2009) 6?/10
31. Leprechaun in the Hood (Rob Spera, 2000) 6?/10
32. Mean Girls (Mark Waters, 2004) 6?/10
33. Jeepers Creepers II (Victor Salva, 2003) 6?/10
34. Robocop 3 (Fred Dekker, 1993) 6/10
35. Urban Legend (Jamie Blanks, 1998) 6/10
36. Blade: Trinity (David S. Goyer, 2003) 6/10
37. Maradona by Kusturica (Emir Kusturica, 2008) 6/10
38. The Longest Yard (Peter Segal, 2005) 6/10
39. Species: The Awakening (Nick Lyon, 2007) 5/10
40. The First Wives Club (Hugh Wilson, 1996) 5/10
41. Avatar (James Cameron, 2009) 5?/10
42. Grizzly Man (Werner Herzog, 2005) 5?/10
43. Date Movie (Aaron Seltzer, 2006) 4?/10
44. Hulk (Ang Lee, 2003) 3?/10
45.Van Helsing (Stephen Sommers, 2004) 3?/10
46. The Day After Tomorrow (Rolland Emmerich, 2004) 3/10

5. Adela Jeste Neverecela

The pulp  magazine hero Nick Carter is summoned to Prague to solve the mistery of Gert's dissappearance. The film is purely a satire and one of the coolest things about it is how montage is put to the service of comedy in some very clever an effective ways.  The humor ranges from the most stupid to the most subtle and in this world where the villian is a crazy scientist with a moustache and we have strange plots, cartoonish logics and crazy gadgets everything fits very well. The visual weight of the film is amazing sometimes and Svankmajer's animations add a lot to the film.

La Campane del Infierno 9/10
The Edukators 8/10
War World Z 6/10
Inbred 5?/10
The Brass Teapot 7/10
Dettachment 6?/10
The Dead Inside 7?/10
The Haunted Mansion 5/10
Anatomie 2 6/10
Anatomie 6?/10

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 4072
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 25/3/2010 10:59:45 PM   
swordsandsandals

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gimli The Dwarf

42. Hot Rod (1st view, 2007, Akiva Schaffer) - 4/5*
I watched this on the basis that it was in Great Badir's list last year (where is he?) The comedy is generally stupid, often incredibly so, but manages to stay fresh and funny.

I love Hot Rod, one of the funniest films I've seen in ages.

Cool Beans.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rawlinson

Swords is right about everything.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hood_Man

Swords smells like bum.

Post #: 4073
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 26/3/2010 12:39:00 AM   
Miles Messervy 007

Features:

20. Sullivanís Travels (1941, Sturges)
My 4th Sturges, and my 3rd 5 star film of his. Genuinely funny, well acted and timed by the cast (especially McCrea), but also humanistic and much directer than most other Hollywood films of the time (or ever). It's probably the best shot Sturges film, too. Its only possible flaw is that the director pats himself on the back too much with the final statement. 9

41. Suspiria (1977, Argento)
My 3rd Argento is his most acclaimed film. Does it deserve the praise? Yes and no. The colours are amazing, of course, and so is the score, but compared to Profondo rosso Suspiria certainly lacks something. Maybe it's the awful dubbing that lets it down, but I don't think that's it. In fact, I think what's wrong with it is that it's too aware of its potential to scare and thus goes overboard with it. The first 20 seconds of the theme are amazing, but afterwards it gets a little too overbearing. It's still great, mind, just lacks the coherence (and obviously the realism) of his real masterpiece. 8

55. Donnie Brasco (1997, Newell)
Watched it for film class. Good film, certainly. The performances are impressive - Pacino doesn't overact (!), and Depp, Heche, Madsen, etc. all provide good support. It strips away the glamour of The Godfather and the pop pulp of Goodfellas, and leaves a main character smashing up parking meters. Quite a fresh take on the genre, in my opinion. However, it's over-long and the really great scenes thus lose some of their effect. More of the Heche vs Depp scenes should have landed on the editing room floor, certainly. Not a waste time overall though. 7

57. (500) Days of Summer (2009, Webb)
Just finished watching it. On one hand, it ticks all the indie boxes: pop culture? Check. Annoying precocious brat of a little sister? Check. Partly unnecessary narrator? Check. Deschanel? Check. However, it's a refreshing take on the genre, despite the fact that it pilfers on it at the same time. Good performances from the leads, certainly want to see more JGL films now. It could be better if it would have had a little more female perspective, and lost a few of the unnecessary (though fun) stylistic moments. Again though, a strong 7

Shorts:

20. Free Radicals (1958, Lye) {4 mins} youtube
Ah, abstract animation. Interesting to compare that to McLaren's work. I prefer the latter, because it's more colourful and I like the music more, but there's little wrong with this one. 8

33. The Landlord (2007, Antzis/McKay) {2 mins} WATCH HERE
Quite funny really short film from the director of Anchorman (which I still haven't seen), starring Will Ferrell and the director's daughter. It's one-note and people against swearing would certainly call it morally reprehensible, but it's still fun. 6

quote:

jamesbondguy:
Miles is clearly the finest film theorist of his generation

quote:

Deviation:
if it isn't ham, I'll eat a living pig.

Post #: 4074
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 26/3/2010 12:42:12 AM   
swordsandsandals

Zombieland (2009, Fleischer) - 4/5 Ridiculous amounts of fun. Watching this the second time round was just as good as I felt like I knew the characters. One of the most endearing films about zombies ever.

quote:

quote:

Swords smells like bum.

(in reply to Miles Messervy 007)
Post #: 4075
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 26/3/2010 5:33:05 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

14. Green Zone (1st view, 2010, Paul Greengrass) - 4/5*
Very good. I may prefer it more than the Bourne films.

106. Inside Deep Throat (1st view, 2005, Fenton Bailey/Randy Barbato) - 2/5*
Documentary about the making of Deep Throat and the effect it had on the participants. It manages to tell facts without actually giving any information, so it kind of fails.

109. Race To Space (1st view, 2002, Sean McNamara) - 2/5*
James Woods is a German scientists working for NASA in the 60s and his son befriends a chimp who's about to be sent into space. The Right Stuff this isn't.

quote:

ORIGINAL: swordsandsandals
I love Hot Rod, one of the funniest films I've seen in ages.

Cool Beans.

That was one of the bits I didn't lie at all. The epic hillside tumble was my favourite bit, plus the line "Never sneak up on a man who's been in a chemical fire"

< Message edited by Gimli The Dwarf -- 26/3/2010 5:35:15 AM >

Much more better!

Post #: 4076
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 27/3/2010 1:06:54 AM   
swordsandsandals

Ninja Assassin (2009, McTeigue) - 1/5 A ridiculous, dire film with some of the worst dialogue ever, atrocious acting and a lead that is blander than a bowl of gruel. It was so bad I even noticed things such as the sound mixing being dire, such is the overwhelming incompetence of this film. The characters are wholly uninvolving and it would be giving them too much credit to suggest they are one dimensional, yet what they have to say is even worse. Seemingly churning out every cliche in the book, as well as a ridiculous theme about hearts, this made me question whether I ever even liked V for Vendetta in the first place. On the other hand, watching it with a group of friends was a great laugh. The violence and gore in this are so ridiculously over the top that it's impossible not to laugh. It gets its mark purely on the strength of the belly laughs to be had from seeing a guy's face sliced in half.
One of the worst films I have ever seen, but still no way near as bad as the Room.

quote:

quote:

Swords smells like bum.

Post #: 4077
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 27/3/2010 8:34:23 AM   
rawlinson

74. Northfork (2003; Michael Polish)

Offbeat fantasy from the brothers who brought us the greatly underrated Twin Falls Idaho. Northfork is set in the mid 50s in a small Montana town. The town is being evacuated in order to be flooded. A group of federal agents are sent in to evict the residents who refuse to leave. During the evacuation a young couple leave thier dying son with the town priest. The boy deals with his oncoming death by dreaming he's a lost angel. During these fever dreams he meets a group of misfits who are also angels. The film is basically a slow, dream-like watch over the death of a boy and a town. The narrative looseness means that Northfork is definitely not a film for everyone, but I found myself absolutely entranced by this visually wonderful slice of magic realism.

9/10

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 4078
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 27/3/2010 9:09:14 AM   
rawlinson

75. Trick R Treat (2008; Michael Dougherty)

Why the hell has it taken me so long to see this film? Old-school horror in the best possible way. In a small town one Halloween night, retribution is dealt out to those who violate Halloween tradition. A surprisingly name cast feature in this anthology horror film, but the real star is Sam, the masked creature who appears whenever retribution is needed. The payoff for most of the stories is fairly obvious, but the film has so much fun getting there that it doesn't really matter.

9/10

76. Road to Perdition (2002; Sam Mendes)

My feelings on Road to Perdition, like all Mendes films, remains mixed. Hanks is miscast, this most recent viewing hammered that home stronger than ever before. He has a few nice moments, but he never really feels like he understands the character. The pacing is far too slow, and while the film looks beautiful, it just seems to be hiding an empty heart. Jude Law is outstanding in possibly his finest non-Ripley performance and Newman is as great as always. But the overwhelming feeling I always have about Perdition is hat it takes a pulpy comic as its source and refuses to acknowledge that it is pulpy. It tries to add levels of refinement and in doing so fails to actually capture what makes the source work. Other than Newman and Law, there's no real reason to watch this instead of the Lone Wolf & Cub films.

5/10

77. The Blind Side (2009; John Lee Hancock)

Sandra Bullock is impossible to dislike, I think. Shame I can't say the same about the film. Bullock beat Streep to the Oscar, which makes me want to give the film 10/10, but the criticism most frequently thrown at The Blind Side, that it's a Hallmark movie that got a big screen release through Bullock's star power, is all too accurate. Still, Bullock beat Streep.

3/10

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 4079
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 27/3/2010 9:18:26 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

21. Get Smart (1st view, 2008, Peter Segal) - 4/5*
More fun than I expected. Carrell is a gifted comedian who is funny without mugging for the camera, and the film was refreshingly free of toilet humour (which seems to be the only way to get a laugh in american comedy these days) just funny jokes and situations. Ann Hathaway has an affable screen presence, and Alan Arkin can help light up any film. Great fun. Many moment had me laughing out loud, especially the exit from the plane and "Swordfish!"

quote:

ORIGINAL: rawlinson

Sandra Bullock is impossible to dislike, I think

In general or just as an onscreen presence?

< Message edited by Gimli The Dwarf -- 27/3/2010 9:20:58 AM >

Much more better!

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 4080
Page:   <<   < prev  134 135 [136] 137 138   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 Page: <<   < prev  134 135 [136] 137 138   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News††|††Empire Blog††|††Movie Reviews††|††Future Films††|††Features††|††Video Interviews††|††Image Gallery††|††Competitions††|††Forum††|††Magazine††|††Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI