Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 Page: <<   < prev  128 129 [130] 131 132   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 16/3/2010 11:02:41 PM   
rawlinson

Yeah, I'd say watch it online if you couldn't find a copy, but it's easily available on dvd so it's the kind of film you should see on a bigger screen.  

(in reply to Miles Messervy 007)
Post #: 3871
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 16/3/2010 11:38:42 PM   
Miles Messervy 007

It's not even the bigger screen, I watched all the other 3 on a computer as well, it's the quality + inability to take decent screenshots + interrupted streaming, etc. Downloads are much more tolerable, but I have a backlog of downloaded films to work through...

quote:

jamesbondguy:
Miles is clearly the finest film theorist of his generation

quote:

Deviation:
if it isn't ham, I'll eat a living pig.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 3872
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 17/3/2010 12:22:03 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pigeon Army

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gimli The Dwarf

I really need to start watching films again. I'm even returning films to Lovefilm unwatched, simply because I'm not in the mood and one of them was from Rawls list. I ended up watching Paul Blart: Mall Cop instead, which is undoubtedly less worthwhile than 3 hours of Polish drama but was pretty much all I could handle at the time, and even then my heart wasn't in it. Plus, it was crap.

I've been so focussed on an essay and TV list watches all I've managed in the last few days filmwise is GI Joe.

Want to argue whose choice was worst?

Clearly Gimli's is - his choice lacks Joseph Gordon-Levitt.

Plus GI Joe was good fun

I blame Dante for me not watching films!

< Message edited by Gimli The Dwarf -- 17/3/2010 7:24:52 AM >

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to Pigeon Army)
Post #: 3873
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 17/3/2010 1:20:34 AM   
TRM

quote:

ORIGINAL: rawlinson

Ashes of Time has started to challenge In the Mood for Love as my favourite WKW. What do either of you think of those two?

You didnt ask me, but anyway I think Ashes of time is just a complete mess. WKW's style just doesnt suit the style of the story at all, and it just makes it such a complicated film to follow and a difficult one to watch. In the mood for love and Chungking express are both excellent though. There is just so much care and attention given to developing every character.

I'm going out to the states to redeem the social outcasts. My only real ambition is to cultivate Texas. I love Texas. You must watch "The last picture show". That film! It was my first real sexual relationship.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 3874
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 17/3/2010 8:37:35 AM   
Miles Messervy 007

Complicated to follow - that's completely intentional though, how can that be used as a criticism? I think it's a beautiful film. The action is weird, of course, but it's an anti-wuxia film just as Fallen Angels is anti-Woo (and I love both Fallen Angels and Woo's work)

quote:

jamesbondguy:

quote:

Deviation:

(in reply to TRM)
Post #: 3875
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 17/3/2010 10:13:43 AM   
Gram123

In the Mood For Love - 6/10
Ashes of Time - 5.5/10

quote:

ORIGINAL: Miles Messervy 007
it's an anti-wuxia film

Glossy and Soulless, Wong Kar-wai does Louis Cha.

Gram123's Top Songs Project

Post #: 3876
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 17/3/2010 10:43:14 AM   
TRM

quote:

Complicated to follow - that's completely intentional though, how can that be used as a criticism? I think it's a beautiful film. The action is weird, of course, but it's an anti-wuxia film just as Fallen Angels is anti-Woo (and I love both Fallen Angels and Woo's work)

I dont see why it cant be used as a criticism. It makes the film such a frustrating watch as you are constantly having to try and figure out what the hell is going on. It just seems to jump all over the place during the first half, and to me that is bad story telling.

The glossy and soulless quote Gram mentioned suits the film pretty well actually.

I'm going out to the states to redeem the social outcasts. My only real ambition is to cultivate Texas. I love Texas. You must watch "The last picture show". That film! It was my first real sexual relationship.

Post #: 3877
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 17/3/2010 1:58:30 PM   
rick_7

I like Ashes of Time a lot. It's tricky to follow, but very rewarding. Fallen Angels is my other favourite, though Chungking's nice as well. I haven't seen In the Mood for Love. I know I really should.

#48. The Last of England (Derek Jarman, 1988) - "On a green hill, mourners stand and weep for the last of England," intones Nigel Terry at the start of this arresting mission statement from arthouse enfant terrible Jarman. The film is a barrage of striking imagery, mixing old Super 8 footage of a child playing in the back garden with shots of a teenage punk shooting up in a garage, and the middle-aged Jarman, apparently chronicling vanishing species of plant in some kind of futuristic warehouse. Then there's clips of news reports, audio of Hitler, some staged stuff about paramilitaries and - of course - a naked yuppie having sex with a soldier on a massive Union Jack. An air of paralysing despair permeates this one-of-a-kind movie, which takes on state-sponsored violence, the Thatcher government, misguided building projects, the trashing of the environment and American cultural imperialism - all in the opening half hour. Not all of it hits the target, and some of it may only make sense to Jarman, but for every piece of self-mythologising pretentiousness there's a pithily employed phrase (courtesy of T.S. Eliot or Allen Ginsberg) or thought-provoking juxtaposition. Like the sounds of a Nazi rally segueing into a vicious sideswipe at military discipline, then military pageantry. Or widow Tilda Swinton ripping her wedding dress to shreds - even as she wears it - on a nuclear beach. The Last of England plays like the forlorn, obscene bastard child of Humphrey Jennings' hymn to the nation - Listen to Britain. I liked it. Great soundtrack too, put together by Simon Fisher-Turner, and containing Elgar, Marianne Faithfull and a spot-on pastiche of '30s musical numbers called Broadway Boy. (2.5)

#20. L.A. Story (Mick Jackson, 1991) is like a Woody Allen film relocated to the West Coast: a series of comic observations about contemporary L.A. life, with a romantic pentagon attached. The plot, which is barely there at all, has self-styled "wacky weatherman" Steve Martin falling out with adulterous girlfriend Marilu Henner and falling in with bubbly annoyance Sarah Jessica Parker, while he pines for English journo Victoria Tennant - who's being woodenly wooed by ex-husband Richard E. Grant. It's probably worth mentioning that Martin is aided in his quest by a chatty road sign. The film is disjointed and uneven in tone, with two delightful - even magical - scenes set to Enya's Exiles that are completely at odds with the rest of the movie, but the jokes are mostly sublime. There's the mugger who accosts Martin by declaring: "Hi, my name is Bob, I'll be your robber", Parker's justification for becoming a spokesmodel ("I always liked pointing") and the solution to the film's central riddle: "That's the mystery of the ages?" says Martin, incredulously; "I had 2 think up something fast," the signpost flashes back. A bit more emphasis on plot and character, along with some pruning of its more insular asides, and this could have been something very special. For all its flaws, it's still first-rate escapism. (3)

#3. The Chorus (Christophe Barratier, 2004) is an utterly beguiling French comedy-drama about a failed composer who takes over as supervisor at a boarding school populated by war orphans and channels his young charges' frustration and unhappiness into music. As a simple, uplifting movie it's sometimes predictable, but it's never naive, with a disarmingly offbeat sense of humour that contrasts neatly with its lovely, sentimental vignettes. The shower of farewell notes and the scenes featuring young Pepinot are particularly moving, while the film is underscored by some suitably affecting music. The casting is also spot-on, with Gerard Jugnot ideal as the teacher, and the kids uniformly fine. My favourite joke: "He wrote 'Mr'?" "Err... no." A straightforward, heartfelt and winning film. (4)

< Message edited by rick_7 -- 17/3/2010 5:33:49 PM >

*Wendy Hiller fanboy*

Blog: DJANGO! DUMBO! DESPICABLE ME 2! Plus: other stuff.

"Nothin's really been right since Sam the Lion died."

(in reply to TRM)
Post #: 3878
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 17/3/2010 2:06:26 PM   
Deviation

I really want to see something by Jarman, but sadly his work also seems to do a good job to repel me off from ever watching them. War Reqiuem, Jubilee and The last of England do look interesting (but also a bit crap), Wittgenstein seems to be disappointingly more worried about the fact that titled philosopher was gay than why he was a great man and Blue I have still not have the guts to watch.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to rick_7)
Post #: 3879
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 17/3/2010 2:25:28 PM   
rawlinson

People who call Ashes of Time glossy and soulless are themselves glossy and soulless.  Actually, y'all aren't even glossy. You're like a run down strip club. So there.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 3880
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 17/3/2010 3:18:59 PM   
Miles Messervy 007

quote:

People who call Ashes of Time glossy and soulless are themselves glossy and soulless.  Actually, y'all aren't even glossy. You're like a run down strip club. So there.

quote:

ORIGINAL: rick_7

I like Ashes of Time a lot. It's tricky to follow, but very rewarding. Fallen Angels is my other favourite, though Chungking's nice as well. I haven't seen In the Mood for Love. I know I really should.

Stop it, you two! It feels odd agreeing with you

quote:

jamesbondguy:

quote:

Deviation:

(in reply to rick_7)
Post #: 3881
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 17/3/2010 3:26:15 PM   
Gram123

quote:

As long as this guy's the compere:

Gram123's Top Songs Project

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 3882
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 17/3/2010 3:50:28 PM   
Dantes Inferno

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gimli The Dwarf

I blame Dante for me not watching films!

You didn't seem to mind only a while ago.

President of The Wire fan club. PM me to join.

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 3883
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 17/3/2010 4:09:46 PM   
Miles Messervy 007

I have a lull in film viewing, but it's time for an update:

16. Der Himmel über Berlin [Wings of Desire] (1987, Wenders)
My first Wenders, but certainly won't be my last. Brilliant juxtaposition of monochrome and colour to rival that of AMOLAD, it creates an unforgettable mood. It's better when the characters are not having an extensive inner monologue though, because these get in the way of the love letter to Berlin. Note - don't get this on Blu-ray whatever you do 9

19. RoboCop (1987, Verhoeven)
There's awesome, there's OSSUM, and then there's RoboCop. Brilliant idea, perfect execution. Funny, poignant, and exciting. Should probably be higher, but this certainly won't be the last watch so we'll see the next time. 9

32. His Girl Friday (1940, Hawks)
Probably a case of high expectation-itis. The rat-atat is brilliant, but the film is not quite the masterpiece I expected it to be. I know it's 1940, but Russell's character is way too uneven, considering she gets even more screentime than Grant. Also, I don't think the drama and the comedy mixed that well together. Still, the cast is brilliant, the gags are hilarious, and the delivery is unique enough to merit this an 8

54. Edward Scissorhands (1990, Burton)
Fifth Burton, and second least favourite. Again, maybe it's the expectations, but I just didn't like it that much. I can appreciate the sets, performances (Arkin!) and score, but the film itself seemed less than the sum of its parts to me. Still, it deserves a 7

quote:

jamesbondguy:

quote:

Deviation:

(in reply to Dantes Inferno)
Post #: 3884
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 17/3/2010 4:33:53 PM   
rick_7

quote:

I have a lull in film viewing, but it's time for an update:

16. Der Himmel über Berlin [Wings of Desire] (1987, Wenders)
My first Wenders, but certainly won't be my last. Brilliant juxtaposition of monochrome and colour to rival that of AMOLAD, it creates an unforgettable mood. It's better when the characters are not having an extensive inner monologue though, because these get in the way of the love letter to Berlin. Note - don't get this on Blu-ray whatever you do 9

19. RoboCop (1987, Verhoeven)
There's awesome, there's OSSUM, and then there's RoboCop. Brilliant idea, perfect execution. Funny, poignant, and exciting. Should probably be higher, but this certainly won't be the last watch so we'll see the next time. 9

32. His Girl Friday (1940, Hawks)
Probably a case of high expectation-itis. The rat-atat is brilliant, but the film is not quite the masterpiece I expected it to be. I know it's 1940, but Russell's character is way too uneven, considering she gets even more screentime than Grant. Also, I don't think the drama and the comedy mixed that well together. Still, the cast is brilliant, the gags are hilarious, and the delivery is unique enough to merit this an 8

54. Edward Scissorhands (1990, Burton)
Fifth Burton, and second least favourite. Again, maybe it's the expectations, but I just didn't like it that much. I can appreciate the sets, performances (Arkin!) and score, but the film itself seemed less than the sum of its parts to me. Still, it deserves a 7

I'm not crazy about Wings of Desire - a bit aloof and up itself for my liking, despite some nice moments. Robocop is, of course, brilliant. His Girl Friday certainly improved over repeat viewings for me - hopefully it will for you too (ah go on, give it another go, or five). Scissorhands is great, though I'd take Ed Wood over it as Burton's best.

*Wendy Hiller fanboy*

Post #: 3885
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 17/3/2010 4:49:33 PM   
Miles Messervy 007

I'd agree it's up itself, but I forgive it, because it's brilliantly shot, and has amazing performances, etc. Robocop - HGF - I also think/hope it will improve, plus it's in public domain so easy to re-watch. I want to see Ed Wood, looks great. I'll rank the Burtons I've seen:
1. Vincent (sh, 1982)
2. Batman Returns (1992
3. Batman (1989)
4. Mars Attacks! (1996)
5. Edward Scissorhands (1990)
6. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (2005)

quote:

jamesbondguy:

quote:

Deviation:

(in reply to rick_7)
Post #: 3886
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 17/3/2010 4:52:31 PM   
rick_7

We agree more than you realise (though I did think the planets might bang into each other or something when we had the same top two choices for our 2010 list!) - Charlie and the Chocolate Factory is one of the four or five worst films I've ever seen. Looks like I'll have to give Vincent a look...

*Wendy Hiller fanboy*

Post #: 3887
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 17/3/2010 4:54:50 PM   
Miles Messervy 007

It's on youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxQcBKUPm8o
The top 2 matching is indeed surprising, but I haven't had too many re-watches this year, so maybe that's why

quote:

jamesbondguy:

quote:

Deviation:

(in reply to rick_7)
Post #: 3888
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 17/3/2010 4:57:28 PM   
rick_7

quote:

It's on youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxQcBKUPm8o
The top 2 matching is indeed surprising, but I haven't had too many re-watches this year, so maybe that's why

Cheers for the link. I watch Remember the Night every New Year's Eve, so I know for a fact The Godfather can't end the year in top spot.

*Wendy Hiller fanboy*

Post #: 3889
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 17/3/2010 4:58:50 PM   
Miles Messervy 007

I'll watch that around New Year's as well, as promised

quote:

jamesbondguy:

quote:

Deviation:

(in reply to rick_7)
Post #: 3890
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 17/3/2010 5:17:03 PM   
homersimpson_esq

#44. Alice In Wonderland (Burton, 2010)
#53.
Shutter Island (Scorsese, 2010)
#66. Green Zone (Greengrass, 2010)
#76. From Paris With Love (Morel, 2010)

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

Post #: 3891
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 17/3/2010 5:38:50 PM   
Olaf

quote:

I'd agree it's up itself, but I forgive it, because it's brilliantly shot, and has amazing performances, etc. Robocop - HGF - I also think/hope it will improve, plus it's in public domain so easy to re-watch. I want to see Ed Wood, looks great. I'll rank the Burtons I've seen:
1. Vincent (sh, 1982)
2. Batman Returns (1992
3. Batman (1989)
4. Mars Attacks! (1996)
5. Edward Scissorhands (1990)
6. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (2005)

Funny, I love Edward Scissorhands but I don't rate Batman at all. I'd go:

1 Batman Returns
2 ES
3 Ed Wood
4 Big Fish
5 Sweeney Todd

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

Empire Top 100 Albums Poll 2013: CLICK HERE

Post #: 3892
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 17/3/2010 6:26:18 PM   
TRM

For me its:
Sleepy hollow
Batman returns
Ed Wood
Batman
Vincent
Edward Scissorhands
Beetlejuice
Frankenweenie
Mars attacks
Big fish
Alice in wonderland
Charlie and the chocolate factory
Sweeney Todd
Corpse bride
Planet of the apes

The bottom 2 are a hell of a long way back though.

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 3893
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 17/3/2010 8:19:31 PM   
matty_b

Kes (Ken Loach)

SPOILERS RIGHT FROM THE START OF REVIEW

Kes is one of the most depressing films I've ever seen. A young boy, Billy, born into poverty in 1970s Yorkshire lives with his slutty mother and bully of a big brother. He has no prospects in life and his only joy comes from Kes, a hawk that he has managed to train. Unfortunately, his brother kills the bird in a fit of rage and the film ends with Billy burying Kes and going back to his shitty existence. But it's also a brilliantly made film. Loach's direction has a documentary-style bleakness to it that is invigorating and the cast, notably the extras, seem and feel like people the camera is just dropping in on (maybe they were untrained actors. IMDB says nothing about that, maybe a more knowledgable person could enlighten me) helped by the thick dialectal script. Those that actors are excellent Lynne Perrie (later of Corrie fame) and Freddie Fletcher are superb as Billy's mother and brother and there are three key performances from actors playing teachers at Billy's school. Bob Bowes is Mr Gryce, the vindictice headteacher, quick to deal out corporal punishment; while Colin Welland (yes, he of "the British are coming!" fame) is also superb as Mr Farthing, the only person that pays Billy any genuine interest; while Brian Glover is Mr Sugden, the bullying PE teacher. In a film notable for its misery, the football game that Sugden conducts is a comic gem. Best of all however is David Bradley as Billy - quite simply the best, most naturalistic child performance there has ever been. Overall it's a brilliantly made depression piece - horribly invigorating like an icy cold shower. (9/10)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to TRM)
Post #: 3894
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 17/3/2010 8:32:27 PM   
Rhubarb

Ed Wood
Edward Scissorhands
Vincent
Big Fish
Sweeney Todd
Sleepy Hollow
Batman/Returns
Alice in Wonderland
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
Beetlejuice
Mars Attacks!
Corpse Bride
Pee Wee's Big Adventure
Planet of the Apes

Would be pretty happy to watch the vast majority many times over.

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

ORIGINAL: FritzlFan

You organisational skills sicken me, Rhubarb.

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 3895
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 17/3/2010 10:02:48 PM   
swordsandsandals

Brilliant:
1. Edward Scissorhands
2. Big Fish

Good:
3. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

Alright:
4. Ed Wood
5. Batman

Rubbish:
6. Sweeney Todd

The rest I've not seen, although I liked what I saw of Beetlejuice

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rawlinson

Swords is right about everything.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hood_Man

Swords smells like bum.

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 3896
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 17/3/2010 10:16:10 PM   
Epiphany Demon

Ed Wood 4/5
Batman Returns 4/5
Edward Scissorhands 4/5
Sweeney Todd 4/5
Batman 4/5
Sleepy Hollow 3/5
Mars Attacks! 3/5
Corpse Bride 3/5
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory 2.5/5
Planet of the Apes 1.5/5

< Message edited by Epiphany Demon -- 17/3/2010 10:17:06 PM >

THE ALTERNATIVE LOOK AT BOB DYLAN'S DISCOGRAPHY - ONE DAY MAYBE I'LL FINISH IT

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 3897
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 17/3/2010 10:27:31 PM   
Miles Messervy 007

quote:

ORIGINAL: swordsandsandals

5. Batman

Perplexing.

quote:

jamesbondguy:

quote:

Deviation:

(in reply to swordsandsandals)
Post #: 3898
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 17/3/2010 10:56:03 PM   
Rhubarb

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: swordsandsandals

5. Batman

Perplexing.

Curiouser, and curiouser

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

ORIGINAL: FritzlFan

You organisational skills sicken me, Rhubarb.

Post #: 3899
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 17/3/2010 10:58:45 PM   
Rinc

I'm going to be controversial and not put Planet of the Apes bottom.

Batman Returns
Big Fish
Edward Scissorhands
Batman
Ed Wood
Sleepy Hollow
Beetlejuice
Mars Attacks!
Planet of the Apes
Alice in Wonderland
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
Sweeney Todd

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:
[ color=#F1F1F1 ]text[ /color ]

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 3900
Page:   <<   < prev  128 129 [130] 131 132   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 Page: <<   < prev  128 129 [130] 131 132   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI