Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Did You Hear About The Morgans?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Did You Hear About The Morgans? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Did You Hear About The Morgans? - 29/12/2009 11:38:18 AM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
Hugh Grant - 29/12/2009 11:38:18 AM   
Mikeyjoewhit

i'm absolutely speechless to be honest, i love empire and yet here we are, i'm actually reading that Hugh Grant can act...... SINCE WHEN, this is news to me, when i first heard about this film i liked the sound of it, i liked the concept it's quite cool, but really Hugh Grant and Sarah Jessica Parker they aswell have cast monkeys, Hugh Grant has a speech impedament and Sarah Jessica Parker....well i'll stop while i'm ahead, i give it a 3 for the idea, better actors and it could have gotten higher

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
- 29/12/2009 6:57:35 PM   
mebbetheywasinjuns

I have literally no interest in this film, but that comment about Sam Elliot made me laugh out loud. Just very good writing. I've giving this a three even though i haven't seen it. Let's be honest, it probably sucks. But no film with Sam Elliot is less than a three.

Post #: 3
Of course he can act! - 29/12/2009 10:54:40 PM   
stenton

Just check out An Awfully Big Adventure. Apart from that he just does basically the same thing in every movie, pretty well. If you want bad actors just watch any film with Daniel Radcliffe, Keanu Reeves or Andi McDowell. Hugh looks like Laurence Olivier compared with those three ham peddlars.

Post #: 4
RE: Did You Hear About The Morgans? - 29/12/2009 11:12:03 PM   
JoeyPottr

I haven't seen it yet but my reason to see it is that Sam Elliott is in it. He makes even the most cheesy movies cool, (cough) (cough) Roadhouse (still like it but it's cheesy)

wandering through the tall grass of life

Post #: 5
RE: Did You Hear About The Morgans? - 4/1/2010 3:38:50 AM   
Tank Boy

I don't want to hear about the Morgans! F*ck the Morgans!

Chuck's Culture Carnival!

(in reply to JoeyPottr)
Post #: 6
- 5/1/2010 8:07:57 PM   
nc_jj

Funny? Yeah. Classic? No.

Post #: 7
Reviewer: Olly Richards - 6/1/2010 5:50:08 AM   
keyser82

"Neither good nor bad. Scales dizzying new heights of okay. Aims for mediocrity... and nails it."

I haven't even seen this. I would watch it on TV. The point is, Olly gave it three stars. He must have liked it. Man up. I hate seeing that in reviews. It's cool to be true.

< Message edited by keyser82 -- 12/2/2011 10:00:27 PM >

Post #: 8
yeah i heard it was a f*ck up - 8/1/2010 4:53:36 PM   
workingsushi

It is a boring film in which the acting is so dismal that you spend much of the time wondering how SJP and Hugh Grant have gotten so far in their careers already.

SJP plays her own stock NYC socialite character and it is hard to discern if Hugh Grant is even acting as he simply plays the same character he has for all time, the bumbling english man.

in all ways it is mediocre with the exception of two rather funny scenes which i will not tell you about hear in case you mistakenly see this film.

Post #: 9
RE: yeah i heard it was a f*ck up - 10/1/2010 7:26:28 PM   
robwillphill

Empire Review: 'Neither good nor bad. Scales dizzying new heights of okay. Aims for mediocrity... and nails it'

It's mediocre, hence why I didn't see this film. My friend went to see it and said it was like watching two monkeys attempting to act.

quote:

ORIGINAL: workingsushi

SJP plays her own stock NYC socialite character and it is hard to discern if Hugh Grant is even acting as he simply plays the same character he has for all time, the bumbling english man.

Couldn't put it better myself.

4/10

http://youtube.com/audience

Check out my latest films:
- http://youtu.be/Z2zrRi06Rb0
- http://dai.ly/fSojJ3

---------------------------------------------------

Stewie: We're playing house
Lois: But that boy's tied up
Stewie: It's Roman Polanski's house

(in reply to workingsushi)
Post #: 10
good,funny and charming but not great. - 15/1/2010 9:09:06 PM   
hpmoviefan777

i thought it was a very funny movie i enjoyed Hugh grants acting Sara Jessica Parker is always descent,i enjoyed the movie i don't think ill be buying it on DVD. and at some points i could relate to Sara Jessica parker's character.(like how she felt about the town she got stuck in) also the side to side comparison to the little town that they had been relocated too and new york city was nice.
if you like cute romantic comedies you should definitely go see but if your looking for a more true to life more relatable love story this may not be the movie for you.

Post #: 11
Golly gosh Ollie - this was bloody awful; The pits.. - 25/1/2010 10:05:05 AM   
grant aubin

I just wanted to ask your reviewer what he had been smoking before he saw this awful rom-com. I had a small spliff before I watched, but clearly my stuff wasn't as effective as what Ollie had been smoking. I saw it on Saturday morning, It was ghastly. To call "Did You Hear About the Morgans" mediocre would be a generous compliment . Not only did Hugh Grant - who, despite his utter lack of range I usually rather like - look pretty damn awful, he looked as if he wanted to be somewhere else, and I can''t blame him - but he gave the singularly most monotonous and weak performance of his career. He and a turkey-necked Sarah Jessica Parker have zero chemistry in the picture and looked as if they were being fed their lines on a tele-prompter. Poor SJP shout have castrated the director, the cinematographer and the editor for allowing her to look so unattractive and ugly on the screen. What happened to protecting your leading lady? She must have pissed the producers off something terrible for them not to intervene when they saw the rushes. To say the exhausted, cliched plot is predictable would be the understatement of the century. Every plot point is telegraphed a mile off. This film is a groaner, to put it mildly. The pictures only saving graces are Sam Elliot, Mary Steenburgen and Wilford Brimley, all of whom look sexier and prettier than Hugh and Sarah. To Hugh and Sarah's credit, however, they do look suitably embarrassed most of the way through. "Did Your hear About the Morgans" is one of the weakest, least convincing mainstream comedies I have seen in years. It's sad to think that Hugh and Sarah are either so broke or so greedy that they agreed to apear in this pile of crap. There is, however, some pleasure to be had in watching a film this bad. I suppose you could say it was like watching a glossy, big budget rom-com variation on "Plan 9 from Outer Space". Admittedly the Ed Wood picture was funnier. I can only suspect that your

Post #: 12
- 10/2/2010 9:34:36 AM   
duncan1964

A warring married NY couple are sent to Wyoming in a witness protection programme after witnessing a murder. A run of the mill rom com is enlivened by some genuinely funny lines, a great supporting cast and obvious chemistry between its leads. Your enjoyment of this will, however, depend on your tolerance of Hugh Grant being.......very Hugh Grant

Post #: 13
- 10/2/2010 9:34:36 AM   
duncan1964

A warring married NY couple are sent to Wyoming in a witness protection programme after witnessing a murder. A run of the mill rom com is enlivened by some genuinely funny lines, a great supporting cast and obvious chemistry between its leads. Your enjoyment of this will, however, depend on your tolerance of Hugh Grant being.......very Hugh Grant

Post #: 14
Come On! - 28/3/2010 3:11:06 AM   
thereallovefilm

People need to lighten up a bit. So what if Hugh Grant and SJP are aging? They're not pretending to be young people! If they were touched up to perfection, the mob'd be out for their heads. There's no pleasing people anymore! Sheesh.
If you're ever in the mood for a light romcom, this movie is as good as any.
It's not the greatest movie ever, but I laughed sometimes and there were some sweet lines that stuck for me.

Post #: 15
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Did You Hear About The Morgans? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI