Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Siegfried's Top 20 Favourite Films Per Decade

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: Siegfried's Top 20 Favourite Films Per Decade Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Siegfried's Top 20 Favourite Films Per Decade - 5/1/2010 11:34:05 AM   
Pigeon Army

The 1970's

19. The Last Picture Show - I don't know why, but I was left kind of cold by this. Great performances, exquisite cinematography, but something just didn't connect with me. Also, Cybill Shepherd is kind of, hmmm, how do I put this without sounding harsh or OTT shit. She is shit.

12. The Godfather - The classic. Love it.

10. Life Of Brian - I prefer Holy Grail, but this is fantastic nonetheless.

5. Chinatown - Nicholson and Huston are brilliant, Polanski's direction is magnificent, and the noir narrative is interesting and unpredictable. Missing that spark to make it brilliant, but very good all the same.

The 1980's

16. The King Of Comedy - Second tier Scorsese, but still very good. De Niro's fantastic.

8. The Untouchables - Ripping action film with great performances and some brilliant action sequences. Pity no-one involved is at the level that they were here anymore.

6. Once Upon A Time In America - Aside from one scene, this is a masterpiece. Unfortunately, that scene does knock it down a tad for me.

2. Fanny And Alexander - SO LONG. SO VERY LONG. Very engaging and well-acted, though.

The 1990's

17. Edward Scissorhands - It's good, but not this good.

16. The Player - Fantastic satire of the cutthroat Hollywood scene. Tim Robbins is fantastic, and the journey of Habeas Corpus is just hilarious.

15. Silence Of The Lambs - Slightly underwhelming. I prefer it to Manhunter, though.

14. Seven - One of my five favourite films of all time. Brilliantly atmospheric, excellently acted, well-shot, masterfully written - everything about it is a triumph.

13. The Big Lebowski - Strictly second-tier Coens for me (a bit too cold for my tastes), but very funny.

11. The Castle - Seriously? Funny in fits and starts, but I feel like I'm being asked to laugh at these people more than I'm being asked to laugh with them, and it's a bit uncomfortable for me. Great ending, though, and as a law student, the scene where their lawyer is stumped on precedents is exquisitely hilarious.

10. Trainspotting - Affecting and powerful film that doesn't go the kitchen-sink realism route, and is all the better for it. The heightened realism of the whole thing only heightens the terrors of drugs alongside the highs.

8. Heavenly Creatures - Lord of the Rings is better, but this is still brilliant nonetheless. Pity Jackson couldn't repeat it with The Lovely Bones.

7. Unforgiven - Good acting, and an excellently bleak, fatalistic streak running through it, but it's missing something for me.

5. L. A. Confidential - Exquisite. Again, a favourite of mine, so brilliant choice.

4. Fargo - Again, not my favourite from the Coens, but still great, and totally worthy of a place in any list.

2. Run Lola Run - I studied this in the best English class ever, and it is an exceptionally good film. Tykwer's direction is impeccable.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rinc
She's supposed to be 13! I'd want her to be very attractive though

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat
quote:

ORIGINAL: Pigeon Army
Stop being mean to Deviation

No.

(in reply to siegfried)
Post #: 61
RE: Siegfried's Top 20 Favourite Films Per Decade - 5/1/2010 7:42:25 PM   
Miles Messervy 007

quote:

ORIGINAL: siegfried

The 1970's

Only seen 7.
Cabaret is good as far its musical side goes (partly because Joel Grey is awesome in it, partly because it's realistic numbers), but the actual story is kinda meh. Good film overall but wouldn't come close to my list.
Badlands left me cold. Good performances and cinematography, but really nothing special.
The Conversation also has good performances, but is way too slow.
The Godfather is amazing, and is in my top 20 pending a re-watch.
Life of Brian may be the best comedy I've ever seen. Also in top 20 pending a re-watch.
Annie Hall is hit-and-miss, but much more hit than miss. Great stuff.
Chinatown is superb on all fronts.
Also own The Tin Drum.
quote:

The 1980's

Seen half, which is probably as good as it's going to get for me (I was so behind on the 80s I spent the last half year catching up )
Body Heat just made my 80s top 30 a few months ago, though now would be closer to top 40. Great re-set of Double Indemnity, hot and well acted. Plus its ending is maybe better than that of the original.
Cinema Paradiso - only seen the theatrical cut, but also made my top 30. Morricone makes the film, which is only really otherwise impressive in the childhood segments (and the kissing montage). Luckily, that's most of the film.
The Elephant Man is well acted but suffers from a lack of decent characters - except for Hopkins's doctor they're all either totally good or totally evil.
Hannah and Her Sisters made my top 10, and is favourite Allen by far (from only 4 though). Best combination of comedy and drama outside of The Apartment.
The Untouchables used to be in my all-time top 10 2 years ago. Now I really love Connery and DeNiro in it, and Morricone is reliable, but Costner is bland, and the script is nothing special. Still made the top 30.
Once Upon A Time In America - greatest film ever made, period.
Ran - one of the best looking films ever. Could be faster paced, but still epic in every sense. Made my 80s top 10 as well.
Au Revoir Les Enfants should be renamed Au Revoir Les Insomnia. While undoubtedly personal, lifeless film.
Fanny and Alexander - well, it's a good film, but I can't connect to it. From 4 films so far, not a fan of Bergman.
Amadeus also made my top 10, that's 4 films overall, pretty great. Superb fairytale.

quote:

jamesbondguy:
Miles is clearly the finest film theorist of his generation

quote:

Deviation:
if it isn't ham, I'll eat a living pig.

(in reply to siegfried)
Post #: 62
RE: Siegfried's Top 20 Favourite Films Per Decade - 7/1/2010 3:16:48 AM   
siegfried

The 2000's

20. Whale Rider - Dir: Niki Caro
(Keisha Castle-Hughes, Rawiri Paratene, Cliff Curtis)

19. Chicago - Dir: Rob Marshall
(Catherine Zeta Jones, Renee Zellwegger, Richard Gere, Queen Latifah)

18. Chocolat - Dir: Lasse Hallstrom
(Juliette Binoche, Judi Dench, Johnny Depp, Alfred Molina)

17. The Motorcycle Diaries - Dir: Walter Salles
(Gael Garcia Bernal, Rodrigo de la Serna, Mia Maestro, Gustavo Bueno)

16. In Bruges - Martin McDonagh
(Colin Farrell, Brendan Gleeson, Ralph Feinnes)

15. House Of Flying Daggers - Dir: Zhang Yimou
(Zhang Ziyi, Takeshi Kaneshiro, Andy Lau)

14. The Royal Tennenbaums - Dir: Wes Anderson
(Gene Hackman, Angelica Huston, Luke Wilson, Gwyneth Paltrow, Owen Wilson)

13. Changeling - Dir: Clint Eastwood
(Angelina Jolie, John Malkovich)

12. Road To Perdition - Dir: Sam Mendes
(Tom Hanks, Paul Newman, Jude Law, Daniel Craig)

11. The Pianist - Dir: Roman Polanski
(Adrien Brody, Thomas Kretschmann, Frank Finlay, Maureen Lipman)

10. Brokeback Mountain - Dir: Ang Lee
(Heath Ledger, Jake Gyllenhaal, Anne Hathaway, Michelle Williams)

9. Before The Devil Knows You're Dead - Dir: Sidney Lumet
(Philip Seymour Hoffman, Ethan Hawke, Albert Finney, Marisa Tomei)

8. Bad Education - Dir: Pedro Almodovar
(Gael Garcia Bernal, Felez Martinez, Daniel Gimenez Cacho, Lluis Homar)

7. The Counterfeiters - Dir: Stefan Ruzowitzky
(Karl Markovics, August Diehl, David Striesow)

6. Gone Baby Gone - Dir: Ben Affleck
(Casey Affleck, Michelle Monaghan, Amy Ryan, Ed Harris, Morgan Freeman)

5. Goodbye Lenin - Dir: Wolfgang Becker
(Daniel Bruhl, Katrin Sass, Maria Simon, Florian Lukas)

4. Amelie - Dir: Jean-Pierre Jeunet
(Audrey Tautou, Mathieu Kassovitz, Yolande Moreau, Dominique Pinon)

3. Y Tu Mama Tambien - Dir: Alfonso Cuaron
(Gael Garcia Bernal, Diego Luna, Maribel Verdu)

2. The Lives Of Others - Dir: Florian Henckel von Donnersmarck
(Martina Gredeck, Ulrich Muhe, Sebastian Koch, Ulrich Tukur)

1. Lord Of The Rings Trilogy - Dir: Peter Jackson
(Ian McKellan, Elijah Wood, Viggo Mortenson, Sean Astin, Liv Tyler)

Thanks for all of the positive and constructive comments I've received during the course of this thread.
I enjoyed putting it together, and I hope that it's prompted some of you to explore some of the films I've listed that you may not be familiar with.

"Premeditated murder is one thing, but I will not have lying in this house."

Marriage is one of those things that is best gotten over with in youth - like chicken pox.

Not only is there no God, but try getting a plumber on weekends.

(in reply to Miles Messervy 007)
Post #: 63
RE: Siegfried's Top 20 Favourite Films Per Decade - 7/1/2010 5:35:26 AM   
Squidward Hark Bugle

Of those, I've seen Chicago, House Of Flying Daggers, The Royal Tenenbaums, Changeling, Road To Perdition, The Pianist, Brokeback Mountain, Before The Devil Knows You're Dead, Bad Education, Gone Baby Gone, Amélie, Y Tu Mamá También, The Lives Of Others and The Lord Of The Rings trilogy.

I won't speak on each individually because that'll take ages.

My clear least favourite is The Royal Tenenbaums, which is the only film from your decade lists that I would consider crap.

Chicago, House Of Flying Daggers, The Pianist, Before The Devil Knows You're Dead, Gone Baby Gone, Y Tu Mamá También and The Lives Of Others are films that I liked, but are not especially memorable.

The best films in this list are Changeling, Road To Perdition, Brokeback Mountain, Bad Education and The Lord Of The Rings trilogy, with Amélie being my favourite.

I won't ask how my favourites rank, because that would spoil my own Top 20 of the 2000s countdown. I'll inquire later, when it's done.

Chicago
House Of Flying Daggers
The Royal Tenenbaums
Changeling
Road To Perdition
The Pianist
Brokeback Mountain
Before The Devil Knows You're Dead
Bad Education

Gone Baby Gone
Amélie
Y Tu Mamá También
The Lives Of Others

The Lord Of The Rings: The Fellowship Of The Ring
The Lord Of The Rings: The Two Towers
The Lord Of The Rings: The Return Of The King

(in reply to siegfried)
Post #: 64
RE: Siegfried's Top 20 Favourite Films Per Decade - 7/1/2010 8:05:52 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

You've made me very happy, Siegfried!

I really need to watch The Lives Of Others. I bought it about a year ago and the disc has yet to see the light of day.

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to siegfried)
Post #: 65
RE: Siegfried's Top 20 Favourite Films Per Decade - 7/1/2010 9:05:31 AM   
siegfried

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gimli The Dwarf

You've made me very happy, Siegfried!

I really need to watch The Lives Of Others. I bought it about a year ago and the disc has yet to see the light of day.

If you're happy, Gimli, then I'm happy. Can I take it that you're referring to my #1 choice?

Yes, you really do need to watch The Lives Of Others. It's one of the most powerful, disturbing and thought provoking films that I've seen for many years. In fact, it would probably at this stage rate very highly on my top 20 list of all time.

Marriage is one of those things that is best gotten over with in youth - like chicken pox.

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 66
RE: Siegfried's Top 20 Favourite Films Per Decade - 8/1/2010 8:03:50 PM   
Miles Messervy 007

quote:

The 1990's

Seen 8 here.
Silence of the Lambs is a superbly acted, suitably directed, well shot, scored, great thriller.
Se7en is all of the above, and probably even better because it's more thematic (and Spacey > Hopkins despite how great the latter is).
Lebowski is hilarious, especially Jesus.
Heat - glad you're not on the hate brigade, gripping stuff.
Unforgiven - number 1 for my money. Perfect.
L.A. Confidential - amazing until the shoot-out, which brings it down. Still great.
Fargo - good, but not amongst my top Coens, and I've only seen 6.
The Thin Red Line - the voiceovers are dull, but the war action is superb and it's visually great.
Good list.
How did Kieslowski's Three Colours, Coen's Miller's Crossing, Besson's Leon, Singer's The Usual Suspects, and Linklater's Before Sunrise place?
quote:

The 2000's

8 again (though I count LOTR as 3 films, so it's really 10 ) + own The Pianist.
In Bruges - hilarious, gripping, and beautiful. One of my top faves this decade.
Tenenbaums - been aaaaaaaaaages, but remember good things.
Changeling - suffers from multiple endings disorder, but from the 4 I've seen, best thing Clint made this decade by quite a margin.
Counterfeiters - been more than a while, but superb.
Goodbye Lenin - superb tragicomedy with great acting, plus Khamatova is beautiful.
Amelie - ugh. Over-quirky too cute bullshit.
The Lives of Others - gripping stuff. Better than The Conversation.
LOTR - like the first one, really like the 2nd one, am OK on the third one, though the latter needs a re-watch.

Enjoyed going through these (still have to do the 50s) - good stuff.

quote:

jamesbondguy:

quote:

Deviation:

(in reply to siegfried)
Post #: 67
RE: Siegfried's Top 20 Favourite Films Per Decade - 8/1/2010 10:28:52 PM   
siegfried

quote:

ORIGINAL: Miles Messervy 007

How did Kieslowski's Three Colours, Coen's Miller's Crossing, Besson's Leon, Singer's The Usual Suspects, and Linklater's Before Sunrise place?

To my shame, I haven't seen Three Colours. It's been on my to-do list for some time, but I've yet to get around to it.
Miller's Crossing is one of my favourite Coens, but I wouldn't rate it among their very best.
I'm very fond of Before Sunrise.
Never been a fan of Besson, so Leon didn't rate, and The Usual Suspects is just too gimmicky for my taste. One viewing is enough.
Thanks for your mostly positive and often insightful comments.
Sorry you don't share my love for Amelie, but as they say you can't win 'em all.

(in reply to Miles Messervy 007)
Post #: 68
RE: Siegfried's Top 20 Favourite Films Per Decade - 8/1/2010 11:32:53 PM   
Miles Messervy 007

I'm starting to go off the favourite/best distinction unless it's a real guilty pleasure or the other way round, so Miller's Crossing is simply my top Coen film
Watch Three Colours nao
Yeah, I understand that Amelie is acquired taste.
Cheers!

quote:

jamesbondguy:

quote:

Deviation:

(in reply to siegfried)
Post #: 69
RE: Siegfried's Top 20 Favourite Films Per Decade - 8/1/2010 11:49:54 PM   
Pigeon Army

The 2000's

20. Whale Rider - Wonderfully powerful stuff. Not my favourite NZ film (outside of LotR, it's Out of the Blue), but still fantastic.

19. Chicago - Meh, it's alright. John C. Reilly > all, though.

16. In Bruges - Brilliant choice. Absolutely hilarious, and with a fantastic finale.

15. House Of Flying Daggers - I prefer Hero when it comes to Zhang Yimou's wuxia films, but this is also good, even if it is a little muddled.

12. Road To Perdition - Excellent, somebody else here loves this too! It's no longer in my Top 100, but it is a fantastic film all the same. Paul Newman is superb.

6. Gone Baby Gone - Tough, gritty, surprisingly excellent filmmaking from the Affleck brothers. Good to see it get some love.

4. Amelie - One of my five favourites of all time - a sweet, heartwarming story magnificently told. Never gets old.

3. Y Tu Mama Tambien - I prefer Children of Men of Cuaron's work, but this is an exceptionally well-written and well-acted film. Caught it on Maori TV one Sunday night, and was pleasantly surprised (on another note - how great is Maori TV when it comes to films?).

2. The Lives Of Others - Devastating, hugely emotional film - thoroughly deserved its Oscar over Pan's Labyrinth. That final line is just heartbreaking.

1. Lord Of The Rings Trilogy - Masterful, brilliant, deserves all the praise it got and more.

I've seen far too few from this list.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rinc
She's supposed to be 13! I'd want her to be very attractive though

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat
quote:

Stop being mean to Deviation

No.

(in reply to siegfried)
Post #: 70
RE: Siegfried's Top 20 Favourite Films Per Decade - 10/1/2010 3:24:51 AM   
siegfried

quote:

I've seen far too few from this list.

I think you've done pretty well.
If I could recommend a couple of others that I think you'd like they would be The Counterfeiters and Goodbye Lenin.
Goodbye Lenin has also screened on Maori TV, and I agree with you they come up with some real goodies at times.

(in reply to Pigeon Army)
Post #: 71
RE: Siegfried's Top 20 Favourite Films Per Decade - Th... - 10/1/2010 11:58:58 AM   
TRM

90s -
The grifters - It could have been great, but from what I remember there were some problems with the plot. 7/10
Edward scissorhands - I really like Burton's films, and this is up there with Ed Wood and Sleepy hollow as my favourite. 8/10
The player - Even though I didnt really give it a chance when it was on tv, it still managed to win me around. Its currently between this and the long goodbye as my favourite Altman. 8/10
Seven - Is pretty much perfect. Still, I prefer Zodiac from Fincher's cv. 10/10
The big lebowski - 4/10
Trainspotting - Deserves its place on this list. 10/10
Heat - Other than that shoot-out, this was dull. It is just so formulaic in the way it builds up to the big events, and has a cast I dont care about. 5/10
Heavenly creatures - This is a fantastic choice though. 9/10
Unforgiven - This might be Hackmans best performance. 8/10
L.A. confidential - 9/10
Fargo - Currently a comfortable second to No country for old men. 9/10
Run lola run - 9/10

00s-
Chicago - I do enjoy this, but it wouldnt make my 20 - 8/10
The motorcycle diaries - 9/10
In bruges - 7/10
House of flying daggers - 7/10
Changeling - 9/10
Road to perdition - 9/10
The pianist - 10/10
Brokeback mountain - 8/10
The counterfeiters - 8/10
Gone baby gone - 8/10
Goodbye Lenin - 8/10
Amelie - Probably still my film of the decade. 10/10
LOTR trilogy - 10/10

So nothing I actively dislike in your 2000s list.

I'm going out to the states to redeem the social outcasts. My only real ambition is to cultivate Texas. I love Texas. You must watch "The last picture show". That film! It was my first real sexual relationship.

(in reply to Professor Moriarty)
Post #: 72
RE: Siegfried's Top 20 Favourite Films Per Decade - 1/10/2012 2:21:41 PM   
AnneSofieLoveMovies

I absolutely looove movies/ films, and I think you're list are great:) Even though there was some of the movies i would have changed with others, i think that you have done a great job! Thank you for this list, it was really inspiring :)

When you consider things like the stars, our affairs don't seem to matter very much, do they?

I'm not a prophet or a stone age man, just a mortal with potential of a superman.

Post #: 73
RE: Siegfried's Top 20 Favourite Films Per Decade - 1/10/2012 8:42:54 PM   
siegfried

Didn't think I'd see this thread pop up again after so long.
Thanks so much for your comments, glad you enjoyed the lists, and welcome to the forum. I hope we hear much more from you from now on.
Looking back over the lists a couple of years down the track, and having seen quite a few more films during that time, I wuld probably make a few changes. Maybe sometime soon I'll revise and update it.

(in reply to AnneSofieLoveMovies)
Post #: 74
RE: Siegfried's Top 20 Favourite Films Per Decade - 1/10/2012 8:51:43 PM   
AnneSofieLoveMovies

yeah.. that is a great idea:) make a new one soon ;)

When you consider things like the stars, our affairs don't seem to matter very much, do they?

I'm not a prophet or a stone age man, just a mortal with potential of a superman.

(in reply to siegfried)
Post #: 75
RE: Siegfried's Top 20 Favourite Films Per Decade - 7/10/2012 12:15:00 AM   
siegfried

quote:

ORIGINAL: AnneSofieLoveMovies

yeah.. that is a great idea:) make a new one soon ;)

I've decided to take your advice, and am now in the process of revising the list. Going over the films I've seen from each decade, I've also decided that 20 is not enough so I will be upgrading it to a top 50 for each decade. That will make way for so many films which I love dearly, but which missed out originally because of restricting myself to just 20.
Hopefully I'll have the first few lists ready within the next couple of weeks, and will get started posting them as soon as I've completed my top 50 Horror films list.

(in reply to AnneSofieLoveMovies)
Post #: 76
RE: Siegfried's Top 20 Favourite Films Per Decade - 7/10/2012 3:00:33 PM   
AnneSofieLoveMovies

Thank you :) I <3 movie lists ;)

Post #: 77
RE: Siegfried's Top 20 Favourite Films Per Decade - 15/10/2012 10:59:55 AM   
Professor Moriarty

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Professor Moriarty

What a great Christmas present, a Siegfried list-opoly.

Only seen 8 of the silent list. Cat and the Canary was a bit lost on me I have to admit. If you like Spione I recommend The Penalty if you've not seen it. And please try to get to see Passion of Joan of Arc if you've not seen it. Top list though.

30s list is wonderful, but no Modern Times or City Lights

Thanks for your comments, Prof.
I have seen The Penalty. Chaney was as always great in it.
The Passion Of Joan Of Arc is one I have yet to see. I notice it has just become available here, so I'll put it on my wish list.
I'm afraid as far as Chaplin is concerned, I've never been able to comprehend why people rave over his films so much. The only one which came close to making the list was The Gold Rush. To me he comes a poor third behind Keaton and Lloyd.
At present I'm putting the finishing touches to my 1980's list, and will probably get around to posting the 1940's list tomorrow.

Apologies. With age it seems I lose memory and am stuck in a loop of making the same comment every time you do a list

(in reply to siegfried)
Post #: 78
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: Siegfried's Top 20 Favourite Films Per Decade Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI