Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Empire's Review Of The Decade

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Feedback] >> Empire Online >> Empire's Review Of The Decade Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Empire's Review Of The Decade - 23/12/2009 3:12:28 PM   
James Dyer

Ten years, 26 lists and a whole lotta nostalgia. Join us as we cast a tearful eye over the decade that was.

Let us know what your highlights, and indeed low points were from the last 10 years.

http://www.empireonline.com/features/reviewofthedecade/

"Mrs Landingham, what's next?"
Post #: 1
RE: Empire's Review Of The Decade - 23/12/2009 4:04:03 PM   
Piles

No Lord of the Rings but two Star Wars films in your films of the decade? Are you kidding?

Top 100 Moz Songs / Top 100 Films

(in reply to James Dyer)
Post #: 2
RE: Empire's Review Of The Decade - 23/12/2009 4:11:13 PM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: Piles

No Lord of the Rings but two Star Wars films in your films of the decade? Are you kidding?

And a ditto. I mean fair enough, it isn't as if everyone likes LOTR. But when you get the SW stuff in there, it just makes it kind of embarrassing

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to Piles)
Post #: 3
RE: Empire's Review Of The Decade - 23/12/2009 4:28:28 PM   
rawlinson

It's even more bewildering when you look at some of the stuff that did make the cut in 02 and 03.  Are Intolerable Cruelty, Catch Me If You Can, 8 Mile or X Men 2 really more deserving of being called films of the decade than Return of the King?

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 4
RE: Empire's Review Of The Decade - 23/12/2009 4:45:35 PM   
Captain Black

I'll take a guess at this (correct me if I'm wrong).

All of the year end lists match those printed in the magazine (they're not new). So all of the LotR films missed the cut because they weren't reviewed until after the year end issue was printed, and for whatever reasons they weren't then included in the subsequent year.

Invisiotext:
[color=#F1F1F1]text[/color]

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 5
RE: Empire's Review Of The Decade - 23/12/2009 4:52:20 PM   
rawlinson

I actually think I remember something like that but I'm not sure if it was for Empire or somewhere else. The film was actually reviewed in that year end issue, but it had missed the cut-off point for the list in that issue and the reason it didn't appear the following year was that it was considered a release from the previous year. I didn't realise they were old lists.

(in reply to Captain Black)
Post #: 6
RE: Empire's Review Of The Decade - 23/12/2009 4:56:22 PM   
elab49

That sounds a very reasonable explanation for the first part - although not what possessed them, on reflection, to opt for the SW's ones

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 7
RE: Empire's Review Of The Decade - 23/12/2009 5:59:38 PM   
paul_ie86

I don't usually comment on these, but Tom Cruise in the best cameos?!

My Group Project's facebook page. Please like

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 8
RE: Empire's Review Of The Decade - 23/12/2009 6:44:45 PM   
Scruff

Wow.
I usually just read these lists and don't intend to comment but there are some glaring omissions here.

Pretty shitty list.

(in reply to James Dyer)
Post #: 9
RE: Empire's Review Of The Decade - 23/12/2009 7:48:32 PM   
piccolo135

"as voted by Empire staff". Attack of the Clones number 5 for 2002? Who there is avin' a giraffe??!

(in reply to Scruff)
Post #: 10
RE: Empire's Review Of The Decade - 23/12/2009 8:00:07 PM  1 votes
JimBill93

What happened to the opening credits of 'WATCHMEN'?

"Jonesy?"

(in reply to piccolo135)
Post #: 11
RE: Empire's Review Of The Decade - 23/12/2009 8:15:46 PM   
mojoman

This might be nitpicking, but I think Spirited Away should definitely have been up there somewhere. Anime in general exploded during the noughties, with Spirited Away easily being it's greatest "representative" in the decade. 

(in reply to JimBill93)
Post #: 12
RE: Empire's Review Of The Decade - 23/12/2009 8:18:54 PM   
bobthegrinch

United 93 didn't crash into the twin towers. It came down in a field. The passenegers fought back remember.

(in reply to mojoman)
Post #: 13
RE: Empire's Review Of The Decade - 23/12/2009 8:29:03 PM   
darjeelingmike

Brokeback Mountain quote should be "I wish I knew how to quit you"

And what's with the inclusion of Dodgball?

What about "Call it" from No Country For Old Men?
"I drink your milkshake" from There Will Be Blood?
Even the end line of Wanted was better than these and at the lowest of the barrel you had a decade of Tarantino to pick from!

(in reply to James Dyer)
Post #: 14
RE: Empire's Review Of The Decade - 23/12/2009 9:55:57 PM   
mystra

Best spelling error on the site hehe

"Next: 10 Best Ensemble Cats "

i was looking forward to seeing this list of ensemble kitties

(in reply to darjeelingmike)
Post #: 15
RE: Empire's Review Of The Decade - 23/12/2009 10:26:41 PM   
swordsandsandals

Hey Empire, I enjoyed reading it, so don't worry about the inevitable backlash that you get from any list posted.

Visa vis the top films per year, I recognise all the later ones, it is indeed as voted each year individually, hence why Gladiator wasn't number 1 for 2000.

I'm intrigued about your one star CD review for Oh brother, but I can't find it on the site. Any ideas?

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rawlinson

Swords is right about everything.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hood_Man

Swords smells like bum.

(in reply to mystra)
Post #: 16
RE: Empire's Review Of The Decade - 23/12/2009 10:44:10 PM   
rjward23

It takes a lot to enrage me. And I never normally comment on forums. But seriously, how in god's name can none of the Lord of the Rings films make it on to this list? Great work Empire. Morons.

(in reply to James Dyer)
Post #: 17
RE: Empire's Review Of The Decade - 23/12/2009 10:53:33 PM   
swordsandsandals

quote:

ORIGINAL: rjward23

It takes a lot to enrage me. And I never normally comment on forums. But seriously, how in god's name can none of the Lord of the Rings films make it on to this list? Great work Empire. Morons.

Thank you for your enlightening first post on these forums. Now kindly leave.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rawlinson

Swords is right about everything.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hood_Man

Swords smells like bum.

(in reply to rjward23)
Post #: 18
RE: Empire's Review Of The Decade - 24/12/2009 2:19:44 AM   
s02bf16c

Im actually gutted that the Soundtrack for Road to Perdition didnt even get in your top 10......

(in reply to swordsandsandals)
Post #: 19
RE: Empire's Review Of The Decade - 24/12/2009 2:20:37 AM   
Craigy2606

Quite enjoyed reading all of that; I totally agree - where are the watchmen opening credits. I also thought that "At World's End" should be included on the best scores - although i like all of the Pirates of the Caribbean scores - the one for the 3rd film is beautiful. I wouldn't really call Spidey 3 a sequel too far - just a bit of a let down - but all in all, not a bad decade.

(in reply to swordsandsandals)
Post #: 20
RE: Empire's Review Of The Decade - 24/12/2009 2:31:51 AM   
tobyman187

those lists are just silly, I know a few other ppl have mentioned it but but seriously no LOTR in any between 01-03? attack of the clones?! intorable cruety?! come on now.

(in reply to Craigy2606)
Post #: 21
RE: Empire's Review Of The Decade - 24/12/2009 8:38:06 AM   
tftrman

People-don't-agree-with-empire-lists-shock! They're a means for sparking debate about what each of you took from the decade well, not just "that list is shit".

Biggest downer for me this decade was the death of Heath Ledger. I think it was because the indications were that he was on the cusp of a really special career.

Sci fi of the decade - Children Of Men, I sat there slack jawed throughout most of it.
Film of the decade in general - a tie between There Will Be Blood and Let The Right One In. I must have a thing for long titles.  
Quote of the decade - "Can I get any of you c***s a drink?" Because it can be a useful question (in the right company of course!)

(in reply to James Dyer)
Post #: 22
RE: Empire's Review Of The Decade - 24/12/2009 9:24:28 AM   
MOnkeyboy1138

So you had quotes of the decade but missed out on some classics.

'By The beard of Zeus', 'I have many leather bound books, and my apartment smells of a rich mahogany', Anchorman is the most quotable film ever but 'I love lamp' as you quoted is a little too over used to be a classic quote anymore.

'I know who I am, I'm a dude playing a dude, dressed as a dude playing another dude', 'who the crikey fuck is..', and pretty much anything decipherable from Kirk Lazarus in Tropic Thunder

And of course anything at all from Mr J in the Dar Knight 'What doesn't kill you only makes you....stranger', 'We are tonight's entertainment', and of course 'do you wanna know how I got these scars.....'

You know the thing about Chaos? It's fair

I'm just a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it

(in reply to James Dyer)
Post #: 23
RE: Empire's Review Of The Decade - 24/12/2009 10:53:59 AM   
nclowe

How about 'Biggest Omissions of the Decade'? - Missing LOTR off the Films of the decade list (surely one of the biggest game changers for Fantasy films + DVD extras??), The Watchmen Open Sequence and the trailer for Star Trek....

Rest of the list very interesting! :) Its making the morning stuck at work pass a little quicker....

(in reply to MOnkeyboy1138)
Post #: 24
RE: Empire's Review Of The Decade - 24/12/2009 11:04:03 AM   
MC Liver

What's disappointing here is that, while Empire has published the lists as they were at the end of each year, and I'm sure they were valid at the time, there's been no attempt at any kind of critical reassessment of the past decade in any way, shape or form.

I'm currently compiling my list of the decade, which already has a few other threads on the forum. As the standard format here seems to be a top 20, mine currently is:

1) The Prestige
2) Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
3) No Country For Old Men
4) Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring
5) Ratatouille
6) Kill Bill, Vol. 1
7) There Will Be Blood
8) Memento
9) Children of Men
10) Zodiac
11) The Dark Knight
12) Oldboy
13) Dead Man's Shoes
14) Pan's Labyrinth
15) Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers
16) Up
17) Hot Fuzz
18) United 93
19) Waltz With Bashir
20) Team America: World Police

And just bubbling under, in no particular order, Atonement, The Bourne Ultimatum, Wall-E, Hunger, District 9, (500) Days of Summer, Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, Gladiator, Moulin Rouge, Donnie Darko, Minority Report, Adaptation, Finding Nemo, X2, The Incredibles, Crash, Shaun of the Dead, Sin City, Batman Begins, Brokeback Mountain, Wallace and Gromit in: The Curse of the Were-Rabbit, Little Miss Sunshine, Casion Royale, Synecdoche, New York, Let The Right One In, In Bruges, Anchorman, Sideways, Finding Neverland and The White Ribbon.

In an attempt to truly re-evaluate the decade, as I have only really become a true film head in the past 2 - 3 years, I'm going through my DVD collection and watching those films I've not yet seen, but that may have some chance of cracking the list.

In the past week, I've already watched:

Dead Man's Shoes
Sideways
Almost Famous
4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days
Finding Neverland

And before the end of next week, I intend to try to watch as many of these as possible:

Requiem For A Dream
A Beautiful Mind
The Royal Tenenbaums
Million Dollar Baby
Hidden
Infernal Affairs
Michael Clayton
Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
The Pianist
City of God
The Lives of Others
Amelie
The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford
Battle Royale
Downfall
Spirited Away
Mulholland Drive
The Man Who Wasn't There
Letters From Iwo Jima

It would be nice if there was still time at Empire Towers to perform a similar re-evaluation - maybe that will redress the Star Wars / LOTR imbalance, and maybe it won't. And no-one will agree with the list totally, but at least we could have a more relevant debate.

(in reply to MOnkeyboy1138)
Post #: 25
RE: Empire's Review Of The Decade - 24/12/2009 11:36:43 AM   
tommypocket

Hey Empire - are you gonna post a proper 'best films of 2009' feature?

A static list, tucked away in your review of the decade, 'aint as exiting as your normal 'Top 50'/'Top 20' list with explanations and all that...

"Sing it again for my pleasure."

Twitter drivel - @tommypocket

(in reply to MC Liver)
Post #: 26
RE: Empire's Review Of The Decade - 24/12/2009 2:59:18 PM   
BabsyBuck

Okay I loved this and everything my only concern WAS

BOBBY WAS NOT IN THE ENSEMBLE CATEGORY!!!!
I MEAN,  YOU HAVE SOME HUUUGE NAMES IN THERE LIKKE

Anthony Hopkins!
Christian Slater!
Martin Sheen!
Harry Belafonte!
Laurence Fishburne
Shia Labeouf!
       *end rant*

It's probably japanese....yeah no it's definitely japanese

"I'm trying to be fucking romantic here! Asshole!"

(in reply to James Dyer)
Post #: 27
RE: Empire's Review Of The Decade - 25/12/2009 12:34:20 AM   
Piles

quote:

ORIGINAL: MC Liver

What's disappointing here is that, while Empire has published the lists as they were at the end of each year, and I'm sure they were valid at the time, there's been no attempt at any kind of critical reassessment of the past decade in any way, shape or form.

I'm currently compiling my list of the decade, which already has a few other threads on the forum. As the standard format here seems to be a top 20, mine currently is:

1) The Prestige
5) Ratatouille
6) Kill Bill, Vol. 1
7) There Will Be Blood
8) Memento
9) Children of Men
10) Zodiac
11) The Dark Knight
12) Oldboy
13) Dead Man's Shoes
14) Pan's Labyrinth
16) Up
17) Hot Fuzz
18) United 93
19) Waltz With Bashir

And just bubbling under, in no particular order, Atonement, The Bourne Ultimatum, Wall-E, Hunger, District 9, (500) Days of Summer, Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, Gladiator, Moulin Rouge, Donnie Darko, Minority Report, Adaptation, Finding Nemo, X2, The Incredibles, Crash, Shaun of the Dead, Sin City, Batman Begins, Brokeback Mountain, Wallace and Gromit in: The Curse of the Were-Rabbit, Little Miss Sunshine, Casion Royale, Synecdoche, New York, Let The Right One In, In Bruges, Anchorman, Sideways, Finding Neverland and The White Ribbon.

In an attempt to truly re-evaluate the decade, as I have only really become a true film head in the past 2 - 3 years, I'm going through my DVD collection and watching those films I've not yet seen, but that may have some chance of cracking the list.

Dead Man's Shoes
Sideways
Almost Famous
Finding Neverland

And before the end of next week, I intend to try to watch as many of these as possible:

Requiem For A Dream
A Beautiful Mind
The Royal Tenenbaums
Million Dollar Baby
Hidden
Infernal Affairs
Michael Clayton
Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
The Pianist
City of God
The Lives of Others
Amelie
Battle Royale
Downfall
Spirited Away
Mulholland Drive
The Man Who Wasn't There
Letters From Iwo Jima

It would be nice if there was still time at Empire Towers to perform a similar re-evaluation - maybe that will redress the Star Wars / LOTR imbalance, and maybe it won't. And no-one will agree with the list totally, but at least we could have a more relevant debate.

maybe you should watch something that isn't completely obvious and tell us how that goes?

< Message edited by Piles -- 25/12/2009 12:35:34 AM >

Top 100 Moz Songs / Top 100 Films

(in reply to MC Liver)
Post #: 28
RE: Empire's Review Of The Decade - 25/12/2009 9:23:52 AM   
Pigeon Army

quote:

ORIGINAL: Piles

quote:

ORIGINAL: MC Liver

1) The Prestige
5) Ratatouille
6) Kill Bill, Vol. 1
7) There Will Be Blood
8) Memento
9) Children of Men
10) Zodiac
11) The Dark Knight
12) Oldboy
13) Dead Man's Shoes
14) Pan's Labyrinth
16) Up
17) Hot Fuzz
18) United 93
19) Waltz With Bashir

Dead Man's Shoes
Sideways
Almost Famous
Finding Neverland

Requiem For A Dream
A Beautiful Mind
The Royal Tenenbaums
Million Dollar Baby
Hidden
Infernal Affairs
Michael Clayton
Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
The Pianist
City of God
The Lives of Others
Amelie
Battle Royale
Downfall
Spirited Away
Mulholland Drive
The Man Who Wasn't There
Letters From Iwo Jima

maybe you should watch something that isn't completely obvious and tell us how that goes?

First the calendar bitching, now this? Someone's in a grump today. Do you need some icecream, Piles? Maybe a wowwipop?

EDIT: And on Christmas as well! Jesus, what a psychopath. What's next, kicking kittens? Shooting Santa from his sleigh?

< Message edited by Pigeon Army -- 25/12/2009 9:28:25 AM >

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rinc
She's supposed to be 13! I'd want her to be very attractive though

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat
quote:

ORIGINAL: Pigeon Army
Stop being mean to Deviation

No.

(in reply to Piles)
Post #: 29
RE: Empire's Review Of The Decade - 25/12/2009 10:32:39 AM   
Bickle

Where's Dead Man's Shoes and This Is England?? Also, Assassination of Jesse James had the best score of the decade.

(in reply to Pigeon Army)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Feedback] >> Empire Online >> Empire's Review Of The Decade Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI