Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Sherlock the Action Hero

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Sherlock the Action Hero Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Sherlock the Action Hero - 20/3/2010 4:51:48 PM   
losthorizon

Be forewarned: this film has little to do with the stories written by Arthur Conan Doyle one hundred years ago and more. Holmes here is more of an action hero than a master of deduction. I enjoyed the film for the high-speed action romp it is. If you like action movies you will probably like this one.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 61
Empire's Rating - 23/3/2010 1:54:53 PM   
Nicola Brierley

Why did Empire rate this as 3 stars when in their new magazine, they have rated it 4 Stars on DVD? I think Sherlock deserves a 4 star review as RDJ is superb in it!

Post #: 62
Redundant Mind Working - 31/3/2010 5:01:26 PM   
Sarahmills

I enjoyed this film very much for the simple reason that, so far as I'm concerned, Robert Downey Jr. can do no wrong. His accent is impeccable, his wit and intelligence on full display. The device Guy Ritchie sets up in the beginning that is supposed to take us into the inner workings of Holmes ‘mind is interesting the first time we see it. But he uses it again, and again. Unfortunately, this becomes tedious, and boring, as if it was the one trick Ritchie could come up with and nothing else. He should have concentrated on the script. There was just the first feeling of what the film could have been if it had given more time to the relationship between Holmes and Watson, and involved the latter in a bit more of the action pieces. Hopefully, the sequel will be better.

Post #: 63
Very, very enjoyable mystery adventure - 9/4/2010 9:55:40 AM   
djphilips

Everything about Sherlock Holmes screams fun, fun, and even more fun as the acting, directing and writing of the film are all honed to perfection so that you will be left grinning at the end of the film. Downey Jr and Law are quite simply perfect as the two Victorian icons, and are probably the highlights of the film. The writing leaves its characters time to breathe so that the viewer actually feels comfortable with them, while infusing the otherwise talky scenes with some great action pieces which are really the icing on the cake. Congratulations must go to Guy Ritchie, who manages to create a balnace between detective investigation and Indiana Jones-style set pieces, while giving the film a unique murky look.
Although Sherlock Holmes is strangely lacking the substance that educated viewers enjoy to find in their films, it is still an amzingly entertaining romp which will have you recommending to friends for days.

Post #: 64
Whut up Holmes - 18/4/2010 11:15:37 PM   
SpiderBat

Man, there was nothing else playing I wanted to see that I hadn't already seen. I knew there must have been a reason I didn't rush to see this when it first came out. I walked out half way through and I haven't done that since The Invasion. It felt cool walking out.

Post #: 65
Whut up Holmes - 18/4/2010 11:15:38 PM   
SpiderBat

Man, there was nothing else playing I wanted to see that I hadn't already seen. I knew there must have been a reason I didn't rush to see this when it first came out. I walked out half way through and I haven't done that since The Invasion. It felt cool walking out.

Post #: 66
This movie stunk like rotten meat - 2/5/2010 4:26:45 PM   
mojo88

I tried to watch this movie, but could only get halfway through it before I hit 'eject' and took it back to the Redbox machine. Thank goodness I only wasted $1 renting it. Graphics and audio were good, but the storyline was just too dang stupid and overblown to bear. Inane, senseless action was thrown in to try and save it. Awful, awful, awful.......

Post #: 67
Sherlock Holmes - 8/5/2010 4:02:58 PM   
mymatebone

clearly Robert Downey Jr. was cast as the leading role because of the way he can bring a character to life and make them not only fun but enjoyable to watch. He did it with Tony Stark and now he did it with Sherlock Holmes. Very much enjoyed this film and would recommend it. Good entertaining film, four out of five

Post #: 68
Bag of Shite - 24/5/2010 5:10:52 PM   
chris wootton

Downey Jnr spit out all his dialogue in unintelligible, rapid-fire bursts. Jude Law came out best..but come in Mr Jnr your time is up

Post #: 69
Entertaining, fun and slick... - 25/5/2010 12:44:06 AM   
IJustWantToBeAHero

Action, comedy and story all seem to be taken up to a 7 outta 10, but that's not say that the film doesn't hold it's own unique charm and neat pacing. Robert Downey Jr, is a joy to watch, supported by a fine accompanying cast. Sherlock Holmes prides itself on it;s detailed unique appearance, which is well complemented by great cinematography. All in all, nice neat fun!

Post #: 70
RE: RE: - 26/5/2010 8:56:09 PM   
Sphinx

Took me ages to find this thread!

I'm pleasantly suprised, in fact if it weren't for the slow-mo fight scenes I'd forget Guy Ritchie directed this. Robert Downey Jnr looks like he's having fun in this and it shows, I never had any qualms about the accent or the level of his acting as I've seen Chaplin - his cockney accent was very good in it - he might mumble a bit in this but I thought he fit rather nicely as the super sleuth. Victorian London really looks quite swish - Ah the power of Cinema - The dynamic between Law and RDJ is great to watch, especially in the cell scene. The re-invention of Sherlock Holmes is really quite refreshing, I'm loving the idea of Holmes being quite the genius yet socially inept ruffian, I like Watson being this Firm War Vet instead of bumbling sidekick. Mark Strong I've got a thing for and he's a reliable a villan as ever. Rachel Adams has a small part but she plays well. But this is RDJ's show......I never knew about him being a Martial Arts fanatic (V.grateful for the film to show us) and the Rocky Road to Dublin matching the fight was a stroke of genius really

Bring on the sequel, please don't screw it up!!

Meet The New Boss...Same As The Old Boss

(in reply to musht)
Post #: 71
RE: RE: - 27/5/2010 12:18:48 AM   
BOHEMIANBOB

I agree-doesn't feel like a Ritchie film-and i mean that in a good way!
This is an example of a "fun" movie-just enjoy the bloddy thing(but the accents are better than Robin Hood!).
4 stars.

Misunderstood.
Don't care.
Have you seen my stolen signature?!

(in reply to Sphinx)
Post #: 72
Sherlock Holmes - 30/5/2010 11:32:49 PM   
jncorbett

Really enjoyed this. Great fun. Would gladly recommend this to anyone. For the comparisons to X-Men, I'd say it's a better film in its own right than X-Men, but I would agree that I hope for a better film in part 2. In that respect, I'd suggest that as an origins film this is on a par with Batman Begins. I'd hope the sequel delivers in the same way as that franchise did!

Post #: 73
RE: This movie stunk like rotten meat - 2/6/2010 2:14:58 PM   
musht

quote:

ORIGINAL: mojo88

I tried to watch this movie, but could only get halfway through it before I hit 'eject' and took it back to the Redbox machine. Thank goodness I only wasted $1 renting it. Graphics and audio were good, but the storyline was just too dang stupid and overblown to bear. Inane, senseless action was thrown in to try and save it. Awful, awful, awful.......

if it was only the plot that was annoying you than i'm presuming it was the supernatural nature in which case you really should have stuck with it till the end on the other hand i get how it's not for some people

"SAVE ME, BARRY!!"

"What the hell are Regionals!?"

"color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color"

(in reply to mojo88)
Post #: 74
RE: This movie stunk like rotten meat - 2/6/2010 7:41:52 PM   
The REAL Bozz

I finally got around to watching this. It was ok, the problem for me was it dragged a bit in my opinion. Although the last act was very good!!

Films I've watched
Star Trek Into Darkness ***
Iron Man 3 *****
Evil Dead (2013) ***
Bait 3D ***

(in reply to musht)
Post #: 75
RE: This movie stunk like rotten meat - 4/6/2010 1:19:01 PM   
clownfoot

Jolly, good fun! That is all. 

Evil Mod 2 - Hail he who has fallen from the sky to deliver us from the terror of the Deadites!

http://www.thepixelempire.net/index.html
http://clownfootsinversemidas.blogspot.com/

(in reply to The REAL Bozz)
Post #: 76
Why only three stars - 23/6/2010 4:10:26 PM   
JackS1351

My favourite film of 2009. Way better than I thought it was going to be. Whod have thought Robert Downey JR. would have made such a great Sherlock Holmes.

Post #: 77
Sherlock Holmes - 27/6/2010 3:39:00 PM   
EmilyCarmen

Rpbert Downey Jr. is a great and funny actor and he gives his own spin to Sherlock Holmes. Jude Law, the person who cast him is Brilliant. Jude Law is an awesome actor and is really funny to. The way they made London look is just great. It turned out to be a great movie and I totally love it. The action, the jokes, the background and the actors it all works out. I would recommend it to my friends. Some people don't like this film but that is there own taste.

Post #: 78
RE: Sherlock Holmes - 18/7/2010 3:55:36 PM   
drystyx

Downey needs a day job after this.

Some things worked in the Sherlock Holmes film. Sherlock Holmes is mostly about the atmosphere of turn of the centruy London, and this captured a little of that in a few scenes, but not quite as well as we would want on the audience side for our entertainment.
Watson was an improvement, much truer to Doyle, and his character worked well. So did the giant and the bad girl.
The other characters were lame, particularly in comparison to the ones that worked, because they were so cliche. Downey was himself, unconvincing as Holmes, and we didn't buy a second of it. He looked like someone trying to act like Holmes. It was pathetic.
The story was also badly told. We really don't know what's going on, mostly because we can't understand a word Downey says. Accents come second to being understood. Most actors can do both. Few modern actors can. Downey can't.
Could've been worse. 2/5, but more like 2 1/2/5

Post #: 79
RE: Sherlock Holmes - 24/7/2010 2:13:27 PM   
Indio

I liked this, it maybe dragged a little bit in the middle and some of the layout of London was skewiff to say the least but overall I thought it was a fun, enjoyable watch, Downey and Law had an excellent chemistry, and Richie managed to tie things up at the end without too much exposition while still leaving things open for the sequel.

'Think about the future.'

(in reply to drystyx)
Post #: 80
RE: Sherlock Holmes - 1/8/2010 11:54:19 AM   
BobM70

Very entertaining movie. It's a well paced and well told story. The story itself being a bit rediculous but that hardly matters here. Downey is great (I had no problems with his mumbling accent), as is Law. People complaining this has nothing to do with the "real" character of Holmes should read the books again. It actually comes pretty close.
What Ritchie did was bringing it up to 20th century standards.
There's a lot of "convenient" plotting, like Holmes smelling, sensing and interpretting everything that's happening but I think that adds to the fun.
Ritchie shows his trademark style but not to an extend it starts to annoy. A few scenes are technically brilliant (like the boobytrap scene in the factory!). That's showing confidence.
In the end it feels like an oldfashioned adventure film.
And I like that.

Bob

< Message edited by BobM70 -- 1/8/2010 11:57:09 AM >

It's not how long it takes, it's who's taking you...

(in reply to Indio)
Post #: 81
Why so harsh? - 18/8/2010 12:41:38 PM   
bigbadpoo

Here is my problem with critics nowadays, all films have to be So intelligent and visually stunning, yet they can't enjoy films for what they are, fun. The guardian is the worst with this. Now, today I'm going to see the a team at the cinema. Hope you don't have a problem with it, because I'm not watching inception or other such stuff. Sherlock holmes was super duper fun stuff. Robert Downey jr used a good accent, and lord of the rings is too serious, so are all the things people give 10 star reviews to. I mean how many 5 star reviews have you given to a comedy, oh your all too clever to go above four. Yeah, you gave kick ass 5 stars but I couldn't find a single joke in that film that wasn't just a ten year old swearing. What is wrong with life? At least empire isnt too bad with this issue

Post #: 82
Why so harsh? - 18/8/2010 12:44:10 PM   
bigbadpoo

Here is my problem with critics nowadays, all films have to be So intelligent and visually stunning, yet they can't enjoy films for what they are, fun. The guardian is the worst with this. Now, today I'm going to see the a team at the cinema. Hope you don't have a problem with it, because I'm not watching inception or other such stuff. Sherlock holmes was super duper fun stuff. Robert Downey jr used a good accent, and lord of the rings is too serious, so are all the things people give 10 star reviews to. I mean how many 5 star reviews have you given to a comedy, oh your all too clever to go above four. Yeah, you gave kick ass 5 stars but I couldn't find a single joke in that film that wasn't just a ten year old swearing. What is wrong with life? At least empire isnt too bad with this issue

Post #: 83
District 9 - 18/8/2010 12:45:21 PM   
bigbadpoo

D9 should have been 5 stars

Post #: 84
RE: Sherlock Holmes - 4/12/2010 6:26:28 PM   
Jeevan Singh

A brilliant portrayal of Guy Ritchies interpretation of Sherlock Holmes by Robert Downey Jr. This incarnation of Sherlock Holmes has the right blend of action, humour & intrigue along with strong characters set in the midst of 19th century London.

Post #: 85
- 20/12/2010 11:19:34 AM   
reminn

Excellent.

Post #: 86
Dire Bollockal - 9/1/2011 11:51:46 AM   
C K Dexter Haven

When will Guy Ritchie ever make a watchable movie?
The media hype of his dreadful low budget hit Cockerknee Sweaingr and Two Silly Punchlines gave this man way too much exposure.
As talented as Messers Downey Jr, Law, Strong and Marsden are they certainly are not in the hands of a very cinema-worthy director.
Even that near geriatric headline seeking hound Madasahatter dumped this man once his fifteen minutes were up, so why do the cinema going publuc have to suffer him?

Post #: 87
Dire Bollockal - 9/1/2011 11:51:47 AM   
C K Dexter Haven

When will Guy Ritchie ever make a watchable movie?
The media hype of his dreadful low budget hit Cockerknee Sweaingr and Two Silly Punchlines gave this man way too much exposure.
As talented as Messers Downey Jr, Law, Strong and Marsden are they certainly are not in the hands of a very cinema-worthy director.
Even that near geriatric headline seeking hound Madasahatter dumped this man once his fifteen minutes were up, so why do the cinema going publuc have to suffer him?

Post #: 88
Bromance, Conan Doyle Style - 10/1/2011 4:04:16 PM   
Boromirs Redemption

This is brilliant. I really, really enjoyed this film, despite my misgivings when I found out that Ritchie was directing, However, after I saw RocknRolla, I was convinced that he was bringing his 'A' game back and Sherlock produced the goods and helped rid the director's demons (Swept Away being the main one). Downey Jr is thirlling as the titular detective, showing verve in his speech and many flourishes of Holmesian genius that one expects when they have read the novels. The inclusion of Law as Watson was also a masterstroke; thekey to any Holmes work is not necessarily in the main character, but the choice of Watson. And as the BBC series did with Freeman, so Ritchie has done with Law. He and Downey Jr have a great rapport and this relationship, all bickering and childish rowing followed by a dependancy on one another makes the film. Mark Strong is excellent as per, and the setting of London is as grimy and grim as you would expect. The only sour note is McAdams who is the victim of overediting, rather than a poor performance. This ia a really, really watchable film. Popcorn cinema, and brilliant for it.

Post #: 89
Excellent - 17/1/2011 8:28:50 PM   
nickstuart118

Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Sherlock the Action Hero Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI