Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: The proposal & marriage thread

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Off Topic >> RE: The proposal & marriage thread Page: <<   < prev  10 11 12 [13] 14   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The proposal & marriage thread - 24/2/2011 4:02:21 PM   
JV

quote:

ORIGINAL: Brooksy84

quote:

ORIGINAL: JV
There was no ring in the box () because, well, he's not a mind-reader and I don't wear rings so it's not like he could have spirited a ring off to a jewellers and bought me one. In the box though was a note which said "[insert real name here], will you marry me? xxx :)" which I thought was adorable.

Incidentally JV, if your dad had not given his permission to mr, would he then have had to retract the proposal?
(congratulations by the way!)

Nah, we had talked about this before. I asked him what he would  do if my dad said no and he said, "I'd marry you anyway".  It was a matter of courtesy but not an absolute rule. He would have asked my dad in advance, but he wasn't convinced my dad wouldn't have told my mum, and then we'd have been scuppered!

Also, regarding rings, I wouldn't have wanted him to choose a ring for me even if he'd had the means to. If I'm going to be wearing something for the rest of my life, I want a say in it. He had a say in it too when we chose one yesterday (it's on order) and we both liked the one we picked. Also, the stone is amethyst which I found out today is, coincidentally, the birthstone for February which is the Mr JV's birth month (his birthday was on Tuesday) and also the month he asked me to marry him. Neither of us believe in that sort of stuff but, y'know, it's a nice coincidence.

but love is the sky and i am for you
just so long and long enough

(in reply to Brooksy84)
Post #: 361
RE: The proposal & marriage thread - 21/6/2011 8:22:57 AM   
JV

Well, apparently I killed the thread with all the joy I spewed out.

We have set a date now, so it's all systems go. We initially thought we'd get married in September 2013 but it's sooooo far away so we managed to get a date for next September. It's a Sunday actually, 9th September 2012. We have booked the venue and the registrar (465 just for the registrar!!! and that's not to mention giving notice and stuff... ) and now have everything else to sort out.

We didn't think we could afford to get married next year but we have been lucky enough to have offers of financial donations from our parents which will cover most but not all of it. It is not an extravagant wedding by any means but there's so much to do and sort out. We have already had to cut the guest list down (although it's only a draft at the minute anyway) and there are quite a few dear friends, including people I know from here actually, that I just can't invite.  

Last night we were sorting out music and stuff for when I walk down the aisle and for at the end of the ceremony when we are wed. We think we have both sorted but we have 15mths to go yet. At the moment, the forerunner for the former is the theme from Jurassic Park.  It is such an elegant theme but it just amuses me that it's from a film about dinosaurs!

(in reply to JV)
Post #: 362
RE: The proposal & marriage thread - 21/6/2011 9:19:32 AM   
sharkboy

quote:

Well, apparently I killed the thread with all the joy I spewed out.

We have set a date now, so it's all systems go. We initially thought we'd get married in September 2013 but it's sooooo far away so we managed to get a date for next September. It's a Sunday actually, 9th September 2012. We have booked the venue and the registrar (465 just for the registrar!!! and that's not to mention giving notice and stuff... ) and now have everything else to sort out.

We didn't think we could afford to get married next year but we have been lucky enough to have offers of financial donations from our parents which will cover most but not all of it. It is not an extravagant wedding by any means but there's so much to do and sort out. We have already had to cut the guest list down (although it's only a draft at the minute anyway) and there are quite a few dear friends, including people I know from here actually, that I just can't invite.  

Last night we were sorting out music and stuff for when I walk down the aisle and for at the end of the ceremony when we are wed. We think we have both sorted but we have 15mths to go yet. At the moment, the forerunner for the former is the theme from Jurassic Park.  It is such an elegant theme but it just amuses me that it's from a film about dinosaurs!

September's a great month to get married   Just make sure you keep a tight rein on that small wedding plan - ours has gone from a small gathering for close friends to a cast of hundreds! But at the end of the day it just means more friends joining you on your special day

And there's nothing wrong with your initial choice of music either (though if you want an even more elegant take on the theme, check out [url=http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=2997599]this thread![/url]) - for our wedding (in less than 12 weeks now ) we had considered the bride coming up the aisle to the theme from Jaws!

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

(in reply to JV)
Post #: 363
RE: The proposal & marriage thread - 28/6/2011 1:19:21 PM   
Twisted Kitty

quote:

ORIGINAL: sharkboy

we had considered the bride coming up the aisle to the theme from Jaws!

What do you mean had?   Would be even funnier if I had a fin attached to my dress

"I have a terrible headache, and a sudden craving for chicken wings"

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 364
RE: The proposal & marriage thread - 28/6/2011 1:37:22 PM   
jcthefirst

I had the Throne Room music from Star Wars as my exit music.

Our exit music, rather.

@Jonny_C85

My Movie Blog | My Other Various Rantings Blog

(in reply to Twisted Kitty)
Post #: 365
RE: The proposal & marriage thread - 30/6/2011 8:49:42 PM   
The2ndRing

I'm getting married in 24 days!

< Message edited by The2ndRing -- 30/6/2011 8:50:00 PM >

I've been drunk for about a week now, and I thought it might sober me up to sit in a library

"Do you know what I like about you?
Fuck all."

(in reply to jcthefirst)
Post #: 366
RE: The proposal & marriage thread - 1/7/2011 6:47:31 PM   
Hardcore Raver

Congratulations! I've got a little bit longer to wait - getting married on the 12th November.

Love Football. Hate FIFA.

(in reply to The2ndRing)
Post #: 367
RE: The proposal & marriage thread - 1/7/2011 7:25:42 PM   
homersimpson_esq

Did I even know that sharkboy and twisted kitty were an item?

Also had The Throne Room as exit music. Works so well.

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to Hardcore Raver)
Post #: 368
RE: The proposal & marriage thread - 2/7/2011 9:21:25 AM   
jcthefirst

It really does Homer, especially as the very start of it almost sounds wedding-y.

@Jonny_C85

My Movie Blog | My Other Various Rantings Blog

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 369
RE: The proposal & marriage thread - 2/7/2011 10:05:59 AM   
sharkboy

10 weeks today! 

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

(in reply to jcthefirst)
Post #: 370
RE: The proposal & marriage thread - 25/9/2011 4:31:01 PM   
SWOTBM

The wheels have been set in motion, I am going to have to get married soon 

PSN: light_brigade
Gamertag: chauders

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 371
RE: The proposal & marriage thread - 7/1/2012 10:46:13 PM   
JV

Getting married in about 8 months' time, eek!!

Need ideas about honeymoon - where do people recommend? Me & Mr JV cannot agree!

(in reply to SWOTBM)
Post #: 372
RE: The proposal & marriage thread - 7/1/2012 11:17:38 PM   
homersimpson_esq

Skegness.

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to JV)
Post #: 373
RE: The proposal & marriage thread - 7/1/2012 11:49:24 PM   
Keyser Sozzled

quote:

Getting married in about 8 months' time, eek!!

Need ideas about honeymoon - where do people recommend? Me & Mr JV cannot agree!

We went to Thailand, 5 nights in Bangkok and 2 and a half weeks in Koh Samui. Can't recommend it enough. Bangkok is amazing and Samui was just fantastic

I have no idea who any of them are, apart from Terry Pratchett who I know has got a beard and keeps going on about killing himself but never does.

(in reply to JV)
Post #: 374
RE: The proposal & marriage thread - 12/3/2012 12:00:55 PM   
Your Funny Uncle

So how many forumites are getting married this year?

This summer will mark my fifth wedding anniversary, that's flown by.

Empires Top 100 Movie Characters of All Time! - VOTE NOW by clicking HERE

(in reply to Keyser Sozzled)
Post #: 375
RE: The proposal & marriage thread - 12/3/2012 12:21:05 PM   
paul_ie86

quote:

ORIGINAL: Your Funny Uncle

This summer will mark my fifth wedding

Hooray

My Group Project's facebook page. Please like

(in reply to Your Funny Uncle)
Post #: 376
RE: The proposal & marriage thread - 12/3/2012 12:51:25 PM   
jonson

I'm going to 3 weddings this year. 1 family wedding in Barbados, which should be a rum-soaked knees up, and another in Spain, which is 4 days of golf, 1 day of wedding, then 2 more days of golf.
I love weddings, they're great

I've got all the Barbie ones!!!

Yeah but you're old. Really old. Old. Old. Old. Old.

(in reply to paul_ie86)
Post #: 377
RE: The proposal & marriage thread - 12/3/2012 1:04:07 PM   
steffols

I'm going to a wedding in Kent in October. The ceremony itself is on the deck of a boat. In October. The invite suggests you dress accordingly. Excited.

Aw that sounds mean. I am actually quite excited, the couple are genuinely very lovely and I can't wait to see them get married. It sounds like a really lovely wedding is going to be had as well and I'm already planning for it.

My best friend also just got engaged so lots of wedding plans a-happening!

< Message edited by steffols -- 12/3/2012 1:06:39 PM >

It's midnight in Manhattan, this is no time to get cute, it's a mad dog's promenade,
So walk tall, or baby don't walk at all.

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 378
RE: The proposal & marriage thread - 12/3/2012 1:57:49 PM   
talpacino

quote:

ORIGINAL: jonson

I'm going to 3 weddings this year. 1 family wedding in Barbados, which should be a rum-soaked knees up, and another in Spain, which is 4 days of golf, 1 day of wedding, then 2 more days of golf.
I love weddings, they're great

Love to rub it in don't you ya fancy bastard? I'm going to one in Sligo.

A few of the girlfriend's mates have gotten engaged recently so she's starting to talk about it a bit more. She should have gotten her act together and proposed on the leap year day just gone. I've another 4 years free now.

Currahee!

It's a different film. It's a very different film! It's a different shark!

Suppose I shot ya..How'd that be?

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 379
RE: The proposal & marriage thread - 12/3/2012 2:00:33 PM   
UTB

After having been best man last year I've found subsequent weddings to be so much more enjoyable, not having to shit your pants over speeches etc.

(in reply to talpacino)
Post #: 380
RE: The proposal & marriage thread - 12/3/2012 2:06:22 PM   
Shifty Bench

I have never been married and have been to two weddings in my lifetime. The first one was when I was four and was forced to wear a kilt 

The second was my ex-best friends wedding a couple of years ago. The marriage last a couple of months. Ha!

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 381
RE: The proposal & marriage thread - 12/3/2012 4:06:17 PM   
Rob

This is the first year since 2005 that I haven't had a wedding. In total I've probably notched up 30+ weddings, 2 stints as best man, 7 stints as MC and whilst I was quite jaded by the last one I'm set for a pretty dull summer without them! It's even making me tempted to propose...buut not quite!

Being best man and indeed MC are nerve-racking, pant-soiling experiences that basically nullify any enjoyment of the day and the lead up to it until your duties are over.

Same thing happened to me when I played Neil Armstrong in Moonshot. They found me in an alley in Burbank trying to re-enter the earth's atmosphere in an old refrigerator box.

(in reply to Shifty Bench)
Post #: 382
RE: The proposal & marriage thread - 9/4/2012 7:48:16 PM   
JV

Hello all!

Five months - today, actually! - till our big day.

Honeymoon - well, the flights anyway - is booked. We are going to Thailand for, technically, 2 weeks, but once you deduct flight time and time difference it's more like 12 days. Our plan for that is to go up to Chiang Mai then down to Ko Phi Phi, Krabi, somewhere like that. Any recommendations?

Also, musicwise, I need your help, Empirites! We have decided for definite on two tracks: as I walk down the aisle, the Jurassic Park theme. As we exit, Jackie Wilson's Higher And Higher. Do we need a third? I have a feeling we ought to have something for the period when we sign the register?? Also, does anyone actually have the Jurassic Park theme (or the Jackie Wilson track) that they could send me on MP3? My concern with the Jurassic Park theme is that it may need to be edited as I think the version I heard has dramatic music at the beginning before moving into the more elegant theme. Help???

(in reply to Rob)
Post #: 383
RE: The proposal & marriage thread - 9/4/2012 8:21:21 PM   
Your Funny Uncle

If my Mrs had that song as she was was walking up the aisle I'd probably be thinking I wish I was at home watching it by the time she was stood next to me

If by some miracle I was there by the time she got to me, I;d have to give her a 'Clever Girl'....

Empires Top 100 Movie Characters of All Time! - VOTE NOW by clicking HERE

(in reply to JV)
Post #: 384
RE: The proposal & marriage thread - 9/4/2012 8:57:10 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

Also, musicwise, I need your help, Empirites! We have decided for definite on two tracks: as I walk down the aisle, the Jurassic Park theme. As we exit, Jackie Wilson's Higher And Higher. Do we need a third? I have a feeling we ought to have something for the period when we sign the register??

Hey, and congratulations! Yes, you do need something for the signing bit. Everyone tends to take photos so it can last upwards of 5 mins. Of course your guests will probably talk amongst themselves at that point but it's all about the atmosphere so a nice piece of music can really make the moment. As you're walking down the aisle to the JP theme then I'd recommend this, an interesting and unique spin on the theme itself. -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOdG51R_EIo

During this bit at our wedding, which was at a registry office, not a church, the whole signing thing took so long that they ended up playing the song we chose twice! (Love Theme from Cinema Paradiso http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwDf2DCX_1A)

On a related note my missus walked down the aisle to 'Camile' from Contempt, which is one of my favourite films by my favourite filmmaker (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUs4awmb3-o). My wife actually chose it herself too, which was a really nice surprise. Saying that tho, it completely broke me when the song started playing! Nothing prepares you for that moment. We walked back down the aisle at the end of the wedding to the piano refrain to Layla, which soundtracks this scene in Goodfellas (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbwFXngs9Lw).

(in reply to JV)
Post #: 385
RE: The proposal & marriage thread - 10/4/2012 6:43:29 AM   
Kilo_T_Mortal

So will you marry me?

he's ruining my buestiful threat!

"She must have known about all this before she let that grinning loon put his space-cock anywhere near her?"
horribleives

(in reply to adambatman82)
Post #: 386
RE: The proposal & marriage thread - 10/4/2012 1:45:13 PM   
Invader_Ace

quote:

ORIGINAL: adambatman82

quote:

Also, musicwise, I need your help, Empirites! We have decided for definite on two tracks: as I walk down the aisle, the Jurassic Park theme. As we exit, Jackie Wilson's Higher And Higher. Do we need a third? I have a feeling we ought to have something for the period when we sign the register??

Hey, and congratulations! Yes, you do need something for the signing bit.

I agree.  However, I recommend Bring Your Daughter to the Slaughter by Iron Maiden.

(in reply to adambatman82)
Post #: 387
RE: The proposal & marriage thread - 24/6/2012 8:05:46 PM   
big dawg

I get married, this Saturday coming and I'm amazingly not nervous and looking forward to it a lot more than i thought i would be. Any tips on a speech, anyone? I have a rough idea of what want to say in my head.

I can believe things that are true and I can believe things that aren't true and I can believe things where nobody knows if they're true or not

Gamertag - SqualorVic

(in reply to Invader_Ace)
Post #: 388
RE: The proposal & marriage thread - 24/6/2012 8:19:34 PM   
Hood_Man

quote:

ORIGINAL: big dawg

I get married, this Saturday coming and I'm amazingly not nervous and looking forward to it a lot more than i thought i would be. Any tips on a speech, anyone? I have a rough idea of what want to say in my head.

Congratulations, great to hear you're not nervous about spending the rest of your life with your (soon to be) wife. Most men would be nervous at the idea of committing to someone for the rest of their lives but really they shouldn't be. Spending the rest of your life with someone is a wonderful commitment and will bring you many years (many many years!) of joy and happiness. Just think of it as a great big, smothering blanket.

For the rest of your life.

How'd you feel now?

(in reply to big dawg)
Post #: 389
RE: The proposal & marriage thread - 24/6/2012 8:20:31 PM   
juanvasquez

quote:

ORIGINAL: big dawg

Probably not helpful, but I wrote my speech the night before. I'd spent months trying to come up with something worthy, but felt it was to corny or whatever, but seemed to pull it out the bag. Just gotta say how awesome the new wife is and pretend that you like the in-laws being there.

My wedding day was the best day I've ever had, and is nothing to be nervous about. I was before the ceremony, but when you realise everyone is having a great time, and it's all about you two, you chill out and and have a good time.

Good luck!

Check out my cult games reviews and features at Horror Cult Films

(in reply to big dawg)
Post #: 390
Page:   <<   < prev  10 11 12 [13] 14   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Off Topic >> RE: The proposal & marriage thread Page: <<   < prev  10 11 12 [13] 14   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI