Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Nine - 16/12/2009 9:50:13 AM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
- 16/12/2009 9:50:13 AM   
JonathanMardukas

Sounds decent, would like to have heard more on Day lewis' performance though....

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
RE: - 20/12/2009 7:22:20 PM   
maahinkeelhaulisaiah

I thought a 4 star review was a bit much.

Apart from performances, and a couple of songs, the whole thing was a bit...meh. I felt like I should be sympathizing with Daniel Day-Lewis' character, Guido Contini, but I really couldn't. I liked the whole child-in-him thing they had going, with this nineth film, etc etc. Really really was looking forward to something with the excitement of Chicago, but didn't feel it.

(in reply to JonathanMardukas)
Post #: 3
- 22/12/2009 11:08:04 PM   
Gonedeaf

I think you'll find that Chicago was released in 2002 not 2005... research!

Post #: 4
- 22/12/2009 11:08:06 PM   
Gonedeaf

I think you'll find that Chicago was released in 2002 not 2005... research!

Post #: 5
Be Serious! - 28/12/2009 4:27:13 PM   
Edward Nygma

How disappointing...

Nine certainly had all the ingredients to make a great musical. Unfortunately the whole thing feels like a pointless mess of a film and suffers from a completely inept first half. The second half is a bit better but after such a clumsy Ouverture it's hard to really get into the film.

For a film with the tagline "Be Italian" there really aren't many Italians in sight. And Daniel Day Lewis' Transylvanian accent isn't fooling anybody. As for Nicole Kidman, she just sounds Australian...but it's ok we only see her for like 3 minutes.

Kate Hudson and Fergie both play probably the most pointless characters in any film and out of the many songs, only one or two are actually decent, the rest ranges from unbearable to dull. Penelope Cruz is ok although she looks silly in the big musical numbers and it's hard to care about her uninteresting character in the slightest. Actually, it's hard to care about anyone in this film, especially Daniel Day Lewis' Guido. Here's a guy who has everything but still complains endlessly about nothing, when all he had to do was stop thinking with his cock and pull his finger out.

Marion Cotilliard is the only one who manages to be convincing in this whole thing and it just feels like she's way too good to be in such a Christmas turkey. You actually empathise with her character and don't cringe in her presence, which is refreshing. Speaking of cringing, Judy Dench and her abysmal "Folies Bergeres" song should be bannished to the depths of Hell.

And as Fellini rolls around in his grave with the knowledge that people really don't understand his films, I respectfully disagree with the generous Empire rating.

Ben. Affleck.

(in reply to Gonedeaf)
Post #: 6
RE: Be Serious! - 30/12/2009 11:31:08 PM   
becky92

If iím honest i was really disappointed by this film, after watching the trailer and reading some of the reviews i had high expectations. I thought the whole storyline was a bit flat and clunky, Daniel Day Lewisí character Guido didnít evoke any sympathy with me at all he just left me frustrated with his constant complaining, and some of the characters (Fergie and Kate Hudson) seemed a bit pointless.
Two of the songs were pretty catchy and most of the rest were okay, nothing incredible though. The acting was on top form from everyone in the film i think (i assume thatís what the high rating is for), especially Penelope Cruz (the best thing in the film in my opinion).
2.5/5, wouldnít go see it again but it wasnít awful.

(in reply to Edward Nygma)
Post #: 7
RE: Be Serious! - 31/12/2009 1:22:55 AM   
motleyangel

I think a lot of the above comments are fair looking from a critical viewpoint but I can't help it, I saw Nine earlier and absolutely loved it. I'm a huge sucker for musical numbers full stop, even not-so-catchy ones such as these (although at least two have stuck with me already) and the film is beautifully performed by everyone. I agree with the review that Marion Cotillard is particularly stunning, I loved her in Public Enemies and she's excellent in this too. I'm not always a big fan of Daniel Day-Lewis but ironically given how unsympathetic his character technically is I found him actually oddly endearing in this, I think perhaps because the character is at least honest to the audience if not to his women or for a long time, to himself. All the other actresses look, sound and act really well too, I'm always a fan of Judi Dench and Penelope Cruz especially but do agree that Judi Dench's song was the worst. My favourite was Fergie's number 'Be Italian' - I love her fierce voice. I don't think her character was pointless full stop at all but I think they could/should have done more with her, but then in a film with so many strong female performers it was inevitable that at least some, if not most of them would end up a little short-changed.

(in reply to becky92)
Post #: 8
guido, guido, guido - 2/1/2010 9:22:25 PM   
pineapple conductor

This film is a sequel in a way to Robert Marshalls because all this singing and razzle dazzle is all in the eyes of the main character Guido Contini just like a Roman male Roxy Hart living in the 60s.
The cast does very well we have two singing veterans Marion Cotillard and Fergie and some very well sung parts by Kate Hudson, Sophia Loren and Penelope Cruz but out of the women of Nine who have not sung before I liked Judi Dench for her flare and Daniel Day Lewis shines with his trademark commitment make himself every inch italian.
This films main flaw is a hard plot to follow but the main jist of Daniel Day Lewis's mothers boy looking for redemption with the women in his life is simple to pick up but when the transition between his thoughts and the real world things get confusing because in the final scene when all his women walk to see him direct it is in the view of Guido and his childhood self sits on his lap
which confused, there where some camera issues like hazing and blurring and some of the dancing is slow for the music.
Overall this is a stand out musical with stand out performances and
a step up from Chicago and a step in the right direction for director Rob Marshall

Post #: 9
Arty Musical - 5/1/2010 4:12:34 PM   
Bighousewill

There are good performances from the cast but I am a man with varied taste for films and I was checking my watch wondering when this would end as I just didnt connect to it. The musical bits are entertaining I remember thinking that parts were like a really posh music video.

Post #: 10
I'm slightly confused... - 14/1/2010 12:30:55 PM   
Ambition

Because in your magazine review (issue 248) you've only given this film 3 stars? I enjoyed it a great deal, the performances and the cinematography mainly, i agree it didn't fully connect, but for me this only warrants the loss of one star. Had it fully connected it would have been truly great!

Post #: 11
truly original - 15/1/2010 8:50:12 PM   
hpmoviefan777

Not very often do i go and see a musical and when its over i think WOW i could watch that again,that's exactly what i thought after i saw nine. it was (at certain points)funny,classy and very dramatic.....but at the same time its not a movie someone can half mindedly watch,there are points in the film where we are going back and forth from Guido's childhood memories and what he is thinking in his mind.i loved this movie,the songs and dances are amazing,and in my opinion it had a truly semi epic ending.
definitely award worthy.. :)

Post #: 12
RE: truly original - 21/1/2010 11:26:14 AM   
David Somerset

One good song and some unsettling shots of Judi Dench with her cleavage hoisted up round her chin. Zeds. 5/10

(in reply to hpmoviefan777)
Post #: 13
RE: truly original - 28/1/2010 1:05:47 PM   
Cruisecontroller

"It sounds amazing I can`t wait to see it" says Daniel Day Lewis character about his proposed fim in the movie musical Nine and I felt the same way when I saw the trailers. However this glamorous musical with an incrediable cast of mostly Oscor winning stars, based on Felini`s movie 8 and a half about a movie directors mid life crisis as he tries to make his comeback to glory in movies after a series of flops and deal with all the woman in his life has one major flaw the music isn`t upto it. The main song "Be Italian performed by Fergie is great, I enjoyed Kate Hudsons glitzy number about Italian Cinema and unlike the rest of you that mentioned it Dame Judie Dench`s number and the Overture but the rest of this musicals score of fantasy music scenes is dull to say the least. The story, acting, performing and singing are fine and it looks terrific but its all style and not enough musical substance which is well essential to me anyway in a musical. If you loved Chicago and musicals in general like me this is worth seeing say on pay per view tv or to rent but its not worth buying on DVD/Blu Ray when its released or going out of your way to see in the cinema. 3/5

< Message edited by Cruisecontroller -- 28/1/2010 1:13:39 PM >

MyDVDCollection.http://www.empireonline.com/myempire/mydvdcollection.asp?UID=49319b

Last five movies seen & rated by me.

1.12 Years A Slave. 4/5
2.Robocop. (1987) 3/5
3.Devils Due.3/5
4.American Hustle. 4/5
5.Paranormal Activity: The Marked Ones. 3/5

(in reply to David Somerset)
Post #: 14
- 10/2/2010 9:34:11 AM   
duncan1964

A film director struggling to start his next big project retreats to a remote hotel and reminicses on his life, and the women who shaped it, through big musical numbers. Lush, extravagant, over the top and at times incredibly corny, this is none the less a guilty pleasure. Marshall screws up a couple of the musical numbers with unneccessary cuts and pans, but overall, for lovers of big old fashioned musicals, this is a delight. Unfairly critizised by snooty critics for defaming the memory of Felinnis "8 1/2" on which it is loosely based. Standout performance comes from Marion Cotillard.

Post #: 15
- 10/2/2010 9:34:11 AM   
duncan1964

A film director struggling to start his next big project retreats to a remote hotel and reminicses on his life, and the women who shaped it, through big musical numbers. Lush, extravagant, over the top and at times incredibly corny, this is none the less a guilty pleasure. Marshall screws up a couple of the musical numbers with unneccessary cuts and pans, but overall, for lovers of big old fashioned musicals, this is a delight. Unfairly critizised by snooty critics for defaming the memory of Felinnis "8 1/2" on which it is loosely based. Standout performance comes from Marion Cotillard.

Post #: 16
Doesn't quite reach the heights... - 21/3/2010 4:27:13 PM   
Francis46

There is a nice premise behind the film's story, how it is executed and there also some very good performances. Where it falls down is that the tunes in the film don't really match up to the sometimes inspired visual imagery. Day-Lewis is as usual superb with the rest of the cast having a great time. But there is something lacking there... something that would have elevated this film to a truly exceptional level... I think that it really just boils down to lacking any really catchy or memorable tunes. Well worth a viewing though, Fergie of The Black Eyed Peas turns in a really good performance.

Post #: 17
- 30/5/2010 2:25:24 PM   
deppfanatic

Entertaining for both sexes to enjoy- brilliant music, dancing and spectacular performances by the cast, brilliant directing by Rob Marshall. Not so sure its suitable for 12 years of age other than that very enjoyable.

Post #: 18
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Nine Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News††|††Empire Blog††|††Movie Reviews††|††Future Films††|††Features††|††Video Interviews††|††Image Gallery††|††Competitions††|††Forum††|††Magazine††|††Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI