Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Avatar

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: Avatar Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Avatar - 30/4/2010 3:19:14 PM   
Deviation

quote:

ORIGINAL: chilipenguin

Am I the only one to think that Avatar was bit, well, meh? The effects are pretty good in most places, but the Na'vi look really poor compared to the settings they are placed in. (Also, why are the avatars dressed in human clothing? Surely, if you go to the trouble of transplanting your consciousness into an 8ft blue cat alien it would be wise to 'go native'). Plus, I found the story to be weak and some of the performances poor.

I honestly think that the film was hyped out of all proportion and I think there is a real possibility that the effects will look very dated in a couple of years.

I'm not its biggest fan.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to chilipenguin)
Post #: 121
RE: Avatar - 3/5/2010 7:06:40 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

Here are my thoughts on the movie, i'll be interested to see if it grows on me:

So i finally saw this for the first time on Saturday night, on blu ray of course.

I'd say the movie is probably a 3/5 for me. As a movie i think it's alright but nothing that special. The movie i had in my head was so much more spectacular and i knew that the actual film itself probably wouldn't deliver what my expectations had set up. However it does look very pretty, spectacular in places and too CG in others. I was distracted by the quality of the digital filming method in the live action moments. I prefer the film look in general (although am not a fan of grain lol), and definitely prefer it when it comes to delivering colours and textures on faces etc.

I actually thought the blu ray had too much contrast to be honest. I thought the contrast was too high and that i lost quite a bit of detail when anything was approaching even slightly dark. This was mainly a problem with the CG stuff and i didn't find the live actin elements suffered so much from this specific problem. This wasn't because of my contrast setting either as i spent ages tweaking it before realising that it was the actual blu ray that was like that.

I thought the animation overall was spectacular, the movements, facial expressions, mo-cap all excellent. Facial close ups on CG characters were also superb. I was a little dismayed at the fact that EVERYTHING was CG on Pandora though. There were so many parts that i thought couldve been done with live action elements and that it seemed like VFX for the sake of VFX. The most guilty sequence for this was the moment where Jake runs out to the training ground after becoming Navi for the first time. Very obvious CG location and it so didnt need to be.

I thought the dialogue was awful throughout and no better than any other average blockbuster. I also didn't like any of the characters, period. This is probably my biggest personal problem with the movie overall. Jake was an idiot from start to finish and i was amazed at how selfish he was throughout (considering we're supposed to be rooting for him right?). He didn't attempt to warn the navi at all until it was way too late, more interested in hooking up with Neytiri. Same with Sigourney Weaver's character, she could've warned them way in advance. It's hard to believge that they care about the Navi so much if they cant even warn them way in advance about what's coming.

Zoe Saldana was awful in it, i hated her character and thought her performance was ridiculously over the top. I really hated her character!

I liked and enjoyed many sequences in it but also thought that pretty much every scene (particualrly the 'epic' pandora scenes) were extended way beyond the point that they needed to be. Scenes seemed to go on forever and ever, like the learning how to fly the dragons and the thanator chase and the viperwolves and the spiritual chanting scenes etc. They just went on for ages and are guilty for extending the movie's running time far beyond what was needed to tell the story.

The end battle was pretty good although i felt like i'd seen all the shots in it from the trailer and that the end movie didn't hold ANY surprises at all during this sequence.

I loved Quatrich's moment of climbing into the walker as the ship goes down and jumping out whilst it explodes . Probably my favourite moment in the whole movie!

Overall this was an entertaining movie but not on the level that some other Cameron movies have been and certainly not on the level of some of my favourite blockbuster movies by any stretch. I wanted perhaps a bit more of the military tech and a bit less of the pandora tree of life stuff.

My biggest disappointent though is the blu ray itself. At times it looks incredible but my issues with the contrast and the look of digital photography (on live action elements, i'm not talking about CG here) kind of the hampered the viewing. With regard to picture quality i'm sad to say i don't think it's up there with the best blu rays i've ever seen, namely Speed Racer, King Kong and Troy.

Pack your bags, we're going on a guilt trip!

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 122
RE: Avatar - 17/5/2010 6:25:44 AM   
Snake-Eyes

To date, I've only seen AVATAR once, opening day at IMAX in 3D. I don't own the blu-ray as I'm gonna wait til the features-loaded edition is released later in the year. It will be interesting to see how it holds up after the dust has settled.

"When you have to shoot, shoot don't talk."

http://www.expendablespremiere.com/index.html

(in reply to DONOVAN KURTWOOD)
Post #: 123
RE: Avatar - 23/5/2010 4:16:04 PM   
thescout

I must say, I was pleasantly surprised! Wonderful message!

(in reply to The Hooded Man)
Post #: 124
RE: Avatar - 24/5/2010 12:41:54 AM   
BOHEMIANBOB

The Smurfs does Lord of the Rings does Ferngully does...well,very little else.
Visually stunning but with absolutley nothing else to support that.
I don't see the point of buying this blu-ray and even less in the dvd.if that's possible.

Misunderstood.
Don't care.
Have you seen my stolen signature?!

(in reply to thescout)
Post #: 125
RE: Avatar - 24/5/2010 1:23:55 PM   
UTB

I saw it for the first time the other day (on Blu Ray, not at the flicks) and I thought it was... good.

It's probably been mentioned over and over about the plot being paper thin, which it is, but that doesn't stop it from being enjoyable.

I have to say that I wasn't bored at any point and it was a marvel to watch (in terms of special effects), however not having seen it in 3D, my only gripe in watching it in 2D was that there were clearly lots of scenes where the camera is swaying side-to-side for 3D purposes but in 2D they just stood out as "look at me!" scenes.

The Na'vi kind of reminded me of these folks though:

(in reply to BOHEMIANBOB)
Post #: 126
RE: Avatar - 24/5/2010 6:52:27 PM   
hampstead bandit

I saw Avatar in 3D and 2D in the cinema, and have the Blu-Ray

the best part of Avatar?

the first 20 minutes - completely stunning, and a hint at what the entire Avatar film should have / could have been if Jim Cameron had not got a hard-on for the blue cat people and the rainforest

the final battle is pretty tasty too ;)

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 127
RE: Avatar - 25/5/2010 12:08:30 AM   
BOHEMIANBOB

It just lacks soul....even a little bit.

Misunderstood.
Don't care.

(in reply to hampstead bandit)
Post #: 128
RE: Avatar - 25/5/2010 11:00:40 AM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

The more i see it now, the less i like it. It's still a 3/5 for me and that's just for some of the FX, action.

Post #: 129
RE: Avatar - 27/5/2010 12:57:28 AM   
BOHEMIANBOB

If Cameron had gone with some better actors and some decent script writers,he would have had a classic.
It's just ok.
Take away the technology,it's dire.

Misunderstood.
Don't care.

Post #: 130
RE: Avatar - 21/7/2010 4:56:45 PM   
Tech_Noir

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXraSkgssFk&feature=channel

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 131
RE: Avatar - 21/7/2010 8:38:08 PM   
The REAL Bozz

It's the same for me as it is with some of you. The more I think about Avatar the less I like it. I'm just going to come out and say it; the Navi are fucking awful. They look stupid and the fact is they come across as primitive tribal charictures like somthing out of a Indian Jones picture. Just fuckin stupid. Technically yep the film is great but other than that it's shite.

Films I've watched
Star Trek Into Darkness ***
Iron Man 3 *****
Evil Dead (2013) ***
Bait 3D ***

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 132
RE: Avatar - 21/7/2010 9:17:25 PM   
juanvasquez

I had the same experience with this as I did Transformers 2. On the big screen it's quite the spectacle and really enjoyed it, but at home, even on blu-ray, found myself getting bored.

Check out my cult games reviews and features at Horror Cult Films

(in reply to The REAL Bozz)
Post #: 133
RE: Avatar - 22/7/2010 7:59:18 AM   
Tech_Noir

Will people now leave Titanic alone and focus their resentment on Avatar?

(in reply to juanvasquez)
Post #: 134
RE: Avatar - 22/7/2010 8:16:03 AM   
theieuan

quote:

ORIGINAL: DONOVAN KURTWOOD

The more i see it now, the less i like it. It's still a 3/5 for me and that's just for some of the FX, action.

I agree with you in that the more you watch it, the less you'll like the film. However I think the film isn't as bad as some people make out.

You know, this place makes me wonder...Which would be worse, to live as a monster or die as a good man?

Post #: 135
RE: Avatar - 22/7/2010 8:56:40 AM   
BOHEMIANBOB

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tech_Noir

Will people now leave Titanic alone and focus their resentment on Avatar?

Avatar isn't anywhere near the quality of Titanic!

Misunderstood.
Don't care.

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 136
RE: Avatar - 25/7/2010 5:34:53 PM   
rich

I still like alot of Avatar, and will probably buy the BD when a decent version gets released (still gets 3/5 here). My biggest problem I've decided is Sam Worthington - ditch him and his crappy acting and make Sigourney the main chacter and we would have had more time to focus on her "children" and the project (and kick some ass), no ugly cliche "outsider gets accepted" plot, and Neytiri gets to lead her people against the invaders herself, making alot more sense.

< Message edited by rich -- 25/7/2010 5:38:32 PM >

Meanwhile...

Post #: 137
RE: Avatar - 25/7/2010 8:55:42 PM   
BOHEMIANBOB

quote:

ORIGINAL: rich

I still like alot of Avatar, and will probably buy the BD when a decent version gets released (still gets 3/5 here). My biggest problem I've decided is Sam Worthington - ditch him and his crappy acting and make Sigourney the main chacter and we would have had more time to focus on her "children" and the project (and kick some ass), no ugly cliche "outsider gets accepted" plot, and Neytiri gets to lead her people against the invaders herself, making alot more sense.

You would wonder,when Cameron sat down and watched the finished product,pre-release....
WHAT WAS HE THINKING????
A serious opportunity lost.

Misunderstood.
Don't care.

(in reply to rich)
Post #: 138
RE: Avatar - 25/7/2010 9:12:56 PM   
Rgirvan44

I remain of the view that its alright - and as said before not as thoughtful as Moon, as fun as Star Trek or as mechtastic as District 9. But it is ok - but a film I likely never need to watch again.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

Post #: 139
RE: Avatar - 25/7/2010 11:20:39 PM   
BOHEMIANBOB

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

I remain of the view that its alright - and as said before not as thoughtful as Moon, as fun as Star Trek or as mechtastic as District 9. But it is ok - but a film I likely never need to watch again.

Agreed.
it has this weird issue for me,i buy most films i like,but i only found any interest in this in the effects.
It is simply a 1 view film(as opposed Inception which i said in another thread needs at least 3!),it has no repeat viewing quality.

Misunderstood.
Don't care.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 140
RE: Avatar - 25/7/2010 11:25:53 PM   
juanvasquez

I saw a trailer before Toy Story 3 saying that Avatar is being re-released. If it's showing at my local, I'll go see it, as I think it's very impressive in 3D. The only film I can say that about. However if not, I won't go out of my way to find it. It is an extended version after all. As if it isn't long enough already.

Check out my cult games reviews and features at Horror Cult Films

Post #: 141
RE: Avatar - 26/7/2010 11:23:39 AM   
pete_traynor

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

Agreed. While initially very enthusiastic about it and I enjoyed it immensely in IMAX 3D, for me it does not hold up well to repeated viewings at all. Id stick to a 3, and I go in for half stars too! Not as woeful as many make it out to be but when stripped of the 70 ft screen and well employed 3D its just an OK movie and nothing more. Spectacle without true substance can only take you so far. And for me it was a really enjoyable couple of hours in an IMAX theatre but it has nothing else to give. Certainly not what a decade or so of thought should have produced. That would, of course, be Inception. Which truly is the gift that keeps on giving!

EXTREMELY LIMITED 1/1 FILM DIRECTOR HAND DRAWN ORIGINALS COMING SOON - http://lomierart.blogspot.co.uk/

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 142
RE: Avatar - 26/7/2010 11:26:17 AM   
pete_traynor

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation

quote:

ORIGINAL: chilipenguin

Am I the only one to think that Avatar was bit, well, meh? The effects are pretty good in most places, but the Na'vi look really poor compared to the settings they are placed in. (Also, why are the avatars dressed in human clothing? Surely, if you go to the trouble of transplanting your consciousness into an 8ft blue cat alien it would be wise to 'go native'). Plus, I found the story to be weak and some of the performances poor.

I honestly think that the film was hyped out of all proportion and I think there is a real possibility that the effects will look very dated in a couple of years.

I'm not its biggest fan.

Never would have guessed Dev

EXTREMELY LIMITED 1/1 FILM DIRECTOR HAND DRAWN ORIGINALS COMING SOON - http://lomierart.blogspot.co.uk/

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 143
RE: Avatar - 26/7/2010 7:25:15 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

I find it hard to get excited about the visuals of Avatar. I love FX heavy movies and never tire of rewatching my favourite FX scenes from movies such as King Kong, GI Joe, The Mummy Returns. Speed Racer, Transformers etc. I think overall i just found the look of Avatar boring ultimately. It still feels like a world i'd seen many times before in other movies and games, as opposed to some bold new original vision. Also i dont like having non humans as the main characters, as good as the FX are i NEED a human character to engage in a story, otherwise i just can't get into it that much.

(in reply to pete_traynor)
Post #: 144
RE: Avatar - 27/7/2010 10:04:04 AM   
Timon

quote:

I find it hard to get excited about the visuals of Avatar. I love FX heavy movies and never tire of rewatching my favourite FX scenes from movies such as King Kong, GI Joe, The Mummy Returns. Speed Racer, Transformers etc. I think overall i just found the look of Avatar boring ultimately. It still feels like a world i'd seen many times before in other movies and games, as opposed to some bold new original vision. Also i dont like having non humans as the main characters, as good as the FX are i NEED a human character to engage in a story, otherwise i just can't get into it that much.

You must have a nightmare with Toy Story.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

Post #: 145
RE: Avatar - 27/7/2010 6:04:42 PM   
rich

In Toy Story the characters are actually likeable though. I have to agree on points about visual effects - other movies (from what you mentioned, King Kong and Transformers) do it better and were more impressive when they were released. The only character I enjoyed in Avatar was Quaritch and he's still a massive cliche. 

Meanwhile...

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 146
RE: Avatar - 27/7/2010 7:43:21 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timon

quote:

You must have a nightmare with Toy Story.

I'm gonna have to fess up to being my truly ignorant self, but i dont like animated movies, period. I saw Toy Story 15 years ago when it came out and it did nothing for me, ive not seen Toy Story 2. Just don't like cartoons. Like i say, i need a human to engage in a story.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 147
RE: Avatar - 27/7/2010 7:44:17 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

quote:

ORIGINAL: rich

In Toy Story the characters are actually likeable though. I have to agree on points about visual effects - other movies (from what you mentioned, King Kong and Transformers) do it better and were more impressive when they were released. The only character I enjoyed in Avatar was Quaritch and he's still a massive cliche. 

And even he's CGI half the time . Every shot of him in CG was so obvious!

(in reply to rich)
Post #: 148
Snake-Eyes

Does anyone have any news / updates on the proposed 'special edition' blu-ray i.e. the one WITH extras?

"When you have to shoot, shoot don't talk."

http://www.expendablespremiere.com/index.html

Post #: 149
RE: Avatar - 24/11/2010 7:14:48 AM   
Tech_Noir

Much in the extended cut improves the film, the opening on Earth should have been used and they really needed Grace's backstory.

I actually like the film a little more now I've seen the longer version.

(in reply to Captain Black)
Post #: 150
Page:   <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: Avatar Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI