Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Avatar

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: Avatar Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Avatar - 11/1/2010 12:16:10 PM   
Macphist0

He's at the bar in the first shot on the longer trailer....you know, one of the first random things that popped into my head after I watched it -_-

(in reply to rich)
Post #: 91
RE: Avatar - 14/1/2010 8:58:58 PM   
Fletcher

I was reading an article in the G2 supplement of the Guardian on Monday on Avatar. Apparently they have already coined the phrase 'Avatard' for the diehard fans. However the jist of the article was that despite many good reviews, the journalist who himself had givn it an average review in the Guardian, the critics and been overawed by the hype, anticipation and special effects and looked past the average story. The journalist then continued to say that there is a turn of the tide coming and that there "the feeling that we've got another Phantom Menace on our hands".

To be honest I haven't noticed this. While i wasn't overawed by the film, i did still enjoy it*. That is despite the fact that i thought it played out like a Dances with Wolves in space. This is also despite the cheesy life tree hippy dippy mediation crap.

So my question ultimately is this. Will this film suffer the same effect as Titanis and the more popular it becomes the more of a backlash we wll see, or do you think it will escape this and remain critically popular and retain it's credibility?

*I possibly wasn't overawed due to the fact that i have a right eye that cannot focus properly and therefore 3D films are somethign i will never be able to enjoy.

Moved from the movie musings thread and poseted here instead

'Oh come on! Everybody knows this man tried to stab me through the neck, and you MISSED!....... butter fingers!'

The Bunk is strictly a suit and tie motherfucker

(in reply to Macphist0)
Post #: 92
RE: Avatar - 15/1/2010 5:16:30 AM   
AcE_3000

the story and everything was great, including acting... the special ffects are sweet! james cameron has created the most beautiful film planet of all time! i reckon that in a decade AVATAR is going to be on every film critic's 'best movies of all time' list. a M A S T E R P I E C E.

PS. the thanator rocks! it looks so awesome and it just so awesome that i had a dream that i was on pandora getting chased by a thantor down a cliff edge! they created the sickest creatures in that movie! eden with teeth and claws, huh . . .

"Who left the fridge open?"

"It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

(in reply to The Hooded Man)
Post #: 93
RE: Avatar is epic - 15/1/2010 5:21:59 AM   
AcE_3000

seriously, AVATAR has all the qualities of epic written all over it. it has a huge climactic battle (ground and air) that would probably be hailed as one of the best action sequences of all time; an amazingly exciting showdown, a love story, a great plot and overall theme ("the strong prey on the weak, and nobody does a thing") which touches on the subject of a lone human who has seen beauty in the aliens that is unlike any other thing, and he is torn apart. The truth is humans can be really cruel and evil, and the na'vi are a great contrast to that. There's also a love story, and it blends all of the great elements of filmaking to create pandora. truly epic

"It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

(in reply to DAVID GILLESPIE)
Post #: 94
RE: Avatar is epic - 18/1/2010 12:11:38 AM   
Snake-Eyes

Has anyone seen this? FUNNY!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTrjI4MtUik

It's cool that Sigourney & Cameron were up for this! Awesome!

"When you have to shoot, shoot don't talk."

http://www.expendablespremiere.com/index.html

(in reply to AcE_3000)
Post #: 95
RE: Avatar is epic - 18/1/2010 1:00:07 AM   
Deviation

quote:

ORIGINAL: Snake-Eyes

Has anyone seen this? FUNNY!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTrjI4MtUik

It's cool that Sigourney & Cameron were up for this! Awesome!

That was actually much better than Avatar.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 96
RE: Avatar is epic - 27/1/2010 12:44:29 PM   
Timon

So Avatar has overtaken Titanic.

Just as a point of interest, George Lucas sent this to Cameron when Titanic over took Star Wars back in 1997.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 97
RE: Avatar is epic - 27/1/2010 12:51:39 PM   
shool

No its a Trap!

Invisio Text for Spoilers
[ color=#F1F1F1 ] Spoiler text [ /color ] , remove spaces between square brackets

"No one knows what it means, but it's provocative... It gets the people going!"

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 98
RE: Avatar is epic - 1/2/2010 12:34:50 PM   
grucl

2 billion dollars and counting!

(in reply to shool)
Post #: 99
RE: Avatar is epic - 4/2/2010 2:37:44 PM   
coolstar

Its beaten Titanic's Domestic: figures too 600+ wow will it make more then 250,000 ??

I am going Deep Deep undercover

(in reply to grucl)
Post #: 100
RE: Avatar - 17/2/2010 6:54:16 AM   
AcE_3000

As days go by, this movie just doesn't stop climbing my Favoyurites list... I think it's in my top five now. Epic, dazzling sci-fi, with a beautiful world, a chase scene, lots of tension, a love story, an overral theme line, a climactic final battle and a showdown bristling with awesomeness.

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 101
RE: Avatar - 18/2/2010 4:17:21 PM   
coolstar

Just saw this i loved it its fantastic best film ever made

(in reply to AcE_3000)
Post #: 102
RE: Avatar - 18/2/2010 4:23:12 PM   
krudler

quote:

ORIGINAL: coolstar

Its really not

quote:

ORIGINAL: Squidward Hark Bugle

3D moving images are not films, they're holograms, and should be treated as a separate medium of storytelling, or artform.

(in reply to coolstar)
Post #: 103
RE: Avatar - 18/2/2010 4:29:24 PM   
Snake-Eyes

interesting news -

http://www.slashfilm.com/2010/02/17/james-cameron-to-write-avatar-prequel-novel/

I have all the novelisations of previous Cameron films (except of course that boat film) and they all expand on the original screenplays and even include some deleted stuff (especially Alan Dean Foster's ALIENS and Orson Scott Card's THE ABYSS). this looks like a different approach though.

(in reply to coolstar)
Post #: 104
RE: Avatar - 18/2/2010 6:08:12 PM   
coolstar

quote:

ORIGINAL: krudler

quote:

Its really not

shut up

(in reply to krudler)
Post #: 105
RE: Avatar - 18/2/2010 6:23:56 PM   
krudler

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: krudler

quote:

Its really not

shut up

It isnt though, take away the magnificent effects and 3D aspect and its a very run of the mill story thats been told loads of times before

mature comeback though

quote:

3D moving images are not films, they're holograms, and should be treated as a separate medium of storytelling, or artform.

(in reply to coolstar)
Post #: 106
RE: Avatar - 18/2/2010 6:28:21 PM   
coolstar

If you dont like it then fine but i loved it

(in reply to krudler)
Post #: 107
RE: Avatar - 18/2/2010 9:19:52 PM   
krudler

quote:

If you dont like it then fine but i loved it

Never said I didnt like it, I thought it was great, but best film ever? nah

quote:

(in reply to coolstar)
Post #: 108
RE: Avatar - 26/4/2010 12:42:54 PM   
grucl

Watched it again last night.

The film absolutely works in 2D (especially with THAT picture quality).

The final hour (beginning with the attack on the tree) is really great action . Cameron at his best!

I didn't care so much for the middle part this time around.

One more thing: Michelle Rodriguez looks ace!

(in reply to krudler)
Post #: 109
RE: Avatar - 26/4/2010 2:25:14 PM   
RubyRose

I really loved Avatar at the cinema in 3D - how is it looking on blu-ray? Still as stunning?

(in reply to grucl)
Post #: 110
RE: Avatar - 26/4/2010 3:22:25 PM   
kumar

My brother said its still showing at Bradford IMAX so i think i might give it a second shot. Wasnt too impressed first time round, but what the heck.

"Darth Silas - I love Craig as Bond too. Genius. "- Jackmansgirl 15/7/2008

Last films watched:

The Road - 4/5
Chronicle - 4/5
Twilight Breaking Dawn p1 - 1/5
Warrior - 5/5
Super 8 - 5/5
Paranormal Activity 3 - 3/5
MI 4 - 2/5

(in reply to RubyRose)
Post #: 111
RE: Avatar - 26/4/2010 4:02:52 PM   
Snake-Eyes

Everywhere I look today - "AVATAR now on dvd & blu-ray" I'm well pissed off 'cos I have to wait til NOVEMBER when the REAL goods are released.....

(in reply to kumar)
Post #: 112
RE: Avatar - 26/4/2010 6:25:13 PM   
hampstead bandit

I really loved Avatar at the cinema in 3D - how is it looking on blu-ray? Still as stunning?

yes!! went to HMV's flagship store in London yesterday where Stephen Lang (Col. Q from Avatar) was signing copies in a cool Avatar jungle set they had installed on the first floor of the store

got to see Avatar running in HD Blu-Ray on a massive Sony Bravia 1080P flat panel and DAMN, it looked sweet

the lack of "3d" is actually a good thing, based on my experiences seeing it first in 3D and then 2D in the cinema, the 2D had much better picture quality, brightness, contrast, side panning stability, etc.

my copy of Avatar in HD should have arrived at work by now!

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 113
RE: Avatar - 26/4/2010 7:52:34 PM   
coolstar

Best film ever made james camron you are a legand

Just wow !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(in reply to hampstead bandit)
Post #: 114
RE: Avatar - 27/4/2010 8:34:47 AM   
chilipenguin

Am I the only one to think that Avatar was bit, well, meh? The effects are pretty good in most places, but the Na'vi look really poor compared to the settings they are placed in. (Also, why are the avatars dressed in human clothing? Surely, if you go to the trouble of transplanting your consciousness into an 8ft blue cat alien it would be wise to 'go native'). Plus, I found the story to be weak and some of the performances poor.

I honestly think that the film was hyped out of all proportion and I think there is a real possibility that the effects will look very dated in a couple of years.

I'm not even supposed to be here today!

New short story/portfolio blog online HERE

(in reply to Macphist0)
Post #: 115
RE: Avatar - 27/4/2010 10:20:50 AM   
Snake-Eyes

quote:

ORIGINAL: chilipenguin

Am I the only one to think that Avatar was bit, well, meh? The effects are pretty good in most places, but the Na'vi look really poor compared to the settings they are placed in. (Also, why are the avatars dressed in human clothing? Surely, if you go to the trouble of transplanting your consciousness into an 8ft blue cat alien it would be wise to 'go native'). Plus, I found the story to be weak and some of the performances poor.

I honestly think that the film was hyped out of all proportion and I think there is a real possibility that the effects will look very dated in a couple of years.

No, you're probably not the only one but this thread is in 'Favourite Films'. You should slag it off elsewhere.

And I disagree. AVATAR is brilliant.

(in reply to chilipenguin)
Post #: 116
RE: Avatar - 27/4/2010 10:28:48 AM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

No, you're probably not the only one but this thread is in 'Favourite Films'. You should slag it off elsewhere.

Errrrr....no Snake. I think we are allowed to criticse films in Favorite Films.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 117
RE: Avatar - 27/4/2010 10:51:10 AM   
chilipenguin

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: chilipenguin

And I disagree. AVATAR is brilliant.

Sorry, I didn't realise there was a Disliked Films forum.

I'm not even supposed to be here today!

New short story/portfolio blog online HERE

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 118
RE: Avatar - 27/4/2010 1:26:13 PM   
grucl

A picture from the deleted opening scene (bar brawl):

(in reply to chilipenguin)
Post #: 119
RE: Avatar - 30/4/2010 3:17:16 PM   
Rene Mathis

I love Cameron's movies and I loved this. Seen it in 3-D, blew me away, bought the blu ray this week and it still blew me away, the picture quality and sound is the best I've seen yet. My main gripe is that it is representative of a development in Cameron's work in that he is very much starting to dilute his work a little. The two Terminators he did, as well as Aliens and even the similarly airy-fairy The Abyss, all had a dark, gritty style to it, with Aliens and T's 1 and 2 being full of dark violence and a heavy amount of the old curse words, but he seems to be either losing his darker edge or pandering more to the family audience and that concerns me a little. Now, I think it's great Avatar has given kids a cinematic experience that they'll never forget but I would love to see the Cameron of yesteryear make an appearane again, the one that gave us dialogue like "you're a terminated f****r" and a liquid metal man turning his fingers and hands into slicey dicey weapons.

(in reply to grucl)
Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: Avatar Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI