Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Avatar

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: Avatar Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Avatar - 24/12/2009 7:57:31 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tech_Noir

Titanic has great characters, pacing, etc. It's still a better movie than Avatar in my opinion.

But I won't get into that.

James Cameron is a different filmmaker now than he was in the 80s, we should be grateful that he's not becoming a bad filmmaker.

I genuinely adore Titanic. Having looked over a lot of his back catalogue last week I think its his best film by far.

While I wasn't a huge fan of Avatar, I'm really grateful for the fact that its spurred on a lot of discussion on these boards this past week. Im actually considering going to see it in imax next week too!

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 61
RE: Avatar - 24/12/2009 8:18:47 PM   
juanvasquez

I'm really looking forward to seeing this again. It's such a spectacle. It's an awesome ride.

Check out my cult games reviews and features at Horror Cult Films

(in reply to adambatman82)
Post #: 62
RE: Avatar - 24/12/2009 8:39:04 PM   
krudler

quote:

ORIGINAL: rich

quote:

ORIGINAL: krudler

quote:

ORIGINAL: rich

Give me some Avatar quotes  I cant remember any "bullshit outfit" moments at all.

Its "chickenshit outfit"

Argh, y'see this Avatar rubbish is clouding my memory.

I jest. My favourite moments are probably summed up here:

What a badass, i loved him booting open the door of the tech facility place as everyone goes mental looking for oxygen masks and he just strolls out all guns blazing

quote:

ORIGINAL: Squidward Hark Bugle

3D moving images are not films, they're holograms, and should be treated as a separate medium of storytelling, or artform.

(in reply to rich)
Post #: 63
RE: Avatar - 25/12/2009 11:12:30 AM   
mr_bridge

Wow. Avatar has seemingly become one of the most hyped films in recent memory. Everyone I know who has seen it raves that it is incredible, but I will reserve judgement on that until I see it on Saturday.

< Message edited by mr_bridge -- 25/12/2009 11:13:07 AM >

Post #: 64
RE: Avatar - 26/12/2009 5:11:45 PM   
Tech_Noir

Anyone seen that video of Cameron turning down a "fan" who wanted an autograph?

The guy was hounding him with foul language and clearly wasn't a fan at all.

(in reply to mr_bridge)
Post #: 65
RE: Avatar - 26/12/2009 7:09:21 PM   
Tech_Noir

Sam Worthington is a legend - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZ1Z9-Hdmrs&feature=related

Post #: 66
RE: Avatar - 26/12/2009 7:16:38 PM   
Rgirvan44

He is an Aussie!!!

Wow I would never have guessed. He hides his accent so well in the films.

I hope in Clash of the Titans, Nesson tells him that he has a "strong heart" - just to complete the trilogy.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 67
RE: Avatar - 26/12/2009 7:18:39 PM   
Tech_Noir

He comes across was a fun guy though.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 68
RE: Avatar - 26/12/2009 7:23:03 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

Helps to have a good PR team with you. Still he comes across well - wonder if he will actually become the NEXT BIG THING or not.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 69
RE: Avatar - 26/12/2009 7:26:15 PM   
Tech_Noir

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

quote:

Helps to have a good PR team with you. Still he comes across well - wonder if he will actually become the NEXT BIG THING or not.

Very cold skepticism there.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 70
RE: Avatar - 26/12/2009 7:34:30 PM   
Rgirvan44

In both films I have seen in him he has been capabale, alright, inoffensive. But he doesn't seem to have that "thing" which makes a star. Neither of this years blockbusters relied soley on his shoulders - Clash of the Titans is the closet thing to a star vehicle he has had. And even there the film has HUGE MONSTERS!!!!

Also - Under/Over chances Avatar has a Directors Cut which removes the stupid voiceover and reinserts scenes on Earth?

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 71
RE: Avatar - 26/12/2009 7:43:49 PM   
juanvasquez

I'm yet to see Terminator Salvation, but can't fault his performance in Avatar. But hey, no Michael Biehn is he?!

< Message edited by juanvasquez -- 26/12/2009 8:02:55 PM >

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 72
RE: Avatar - 26/12/2009 7:46:28 PM   
Tech_Noir

That's quite interesting, Biehn could easily have played Jake (or Josh if they kept the cooler original name).

(in reply to juanvasquez)
Post #: 73
RE: Avatar - 26/12/2009 7:55:41 PM   
Rgirvan44

Biehn WAS up for the role of the Col. Quaritch, but lost out to Lang. Think Cameron didn't want people to think of it as a Aliens reunion. Although Paxton would have been welcomed.

I still think Quaritch was fully CGI in some scenes. Maybe not all, but some...

Wonder how the toys are selling. I suspect kids would rather have the mechs and helicopters then the animals and Na'vi...

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 74
RE: Avatar - 26/12/2009 8:03:55 PM   
Tech_Noir

Lang was fine, Biehn as the villain would be too much like The Abyss, Cameron made the right choice.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 75
RE: Avatar - 26/12/2009 8:08:43 PM   
Rgirvan44

Agreed, although I would say Biehn was much more layered than Lang.

Quaritch could only have been less subtle if Run To the Hills by Iron Maiden was playing when they attacked the tree.

< Message edited by Rgirvan44 -- 26/12/2009 8:11:00 PM >

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 76
RE: Avatar - 27/12/2009 7:16:34 AM   
mr_bridge

I really enjoyed Avatar. I was a bit leery about 3-D, but it was such an immersive experience (for me) that I forgot I was wearing those ill-fitting specs.

Post #: 77
RE: Avatar - 27/12/2009 1:46:22 PM   
rich

Meanwhile...

Post #: 78
RE: Avatar - 27/12/2009 2:04:52 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

what's the ratio of action to story/ character stuff. I couldnt care less about the story and characters in Avatar as the trailer gave the whole story away and the characters look very uninteresting. I'm only (sort of) interested in seeing it for the action, though it's a long film isn't it? That's the main thing really putting me off.

Pack your bags, we're going on a guilt trip!

(in reply to rich)
Post #: 79
RE: Avatar - 27/12/2009 8:27:47 PM   
rich

There are about three main chapters if you like, with the third being kickass dropships and mechas. Worth the wait.

Meanwhile...

(in reply to DONOVAN KURTWOOD)
Post #: 80
RE: Avatar - 30/12/2009 11:04:47 AM   
shool

Finally saw this last night.

I thought this was an immensely wonderful film and completely undeserving of all the naysayers on these boards. The story was excellent and although had common themes with Dances with wolves etc worked very well in its own right.
I found myself caring for the characters and getting sucked into the Pandora world and the ethos the people stood for. Worthington gave a good performance and I thought Ribisi and Lang were especially good as the bad guys. Lang being a true Bad-ass through and through.
The visuals and effects are startlingly good. I love the 3D particles floating, the way the subtitles appeared to float in front of the screen and the the sheer detail and complexities of Pandora and also the military tech of the Human.

All in all this fully justifies a 5 star rating and is a classic in my eyes. I cant wait to see it in High Def on Blu ray next as even without the 3D it will still stand up as a great film.

Invisio Text for Spoilers
[ color=#F1F1F1 ] Spoiler text [ /color ] , remove spaces between square brackets

"No one knows what it means, but it's provocative... It gets the people going!"

(in reply to rich)
Post #: 81
RE: Avatar - 6/1/2010 2:37:08 AM   
Deviation

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to shool)
Post #: 82
RE: Avatar - 6/1/2010 6:55:19 AM   
Snake-Eyes

Great Film. It really was the cinematic event of the year and made up for what was (for Snake-Eyes anyway) generally a poor year for films. I need to catch it on IMAX again. the blu-ray should be cool also; I'm looking forward to hearing Mr. Cameron's commentary.

"When you have to shoot, shoot don't talk."

http://www.expendablespremiere.com/index.html

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 83
RE: Avatar - 7/1/2010 1:18:22 AM   
somekindof_battery

quote:

ORIGINAL: DONOVAN KURTWOOD

what's the ratio of action to story/ character stuff. I couldnt care less about the story and characters in Avatar as the trailer gave the whole story away and the characters look very uninteresting. I'm only (sort of) interested in seeing it for the action, though it's a long film isn't it? That's the main thing really putting me off.

Well don't worry about the story, it's simple and unoriginal enough. The action is alright but because i could have cared less about the story or characters, i was not too invested in the sequences.

You might enjoy it but It's an unoriginal, clichéd film chocked full of tired ideas, story beats and character types recognisable in just about any epic film you saw in the last god knows how many years. 

BUT IT SURE DOES LOOK PURTY!!!

"I can beat you, I don't need the girl hahah, I DON'T NEED THE GIRL! I don't need the gun John. I can beat you. I DON'T NEED NO GUN! AND I'LL KILL YOU NOW!" - Unknown 17th century poet

(in reply to DONOVAN KURTWOOD)
Post #: 84
RE: Avatar - 9/1/2010 5:55:53 PM   
juanvasquez

Saw this again today. A spur of the moment thing, but it really is magnificent. I enjoyed the story a lot more this time round as well. I felt a little more invested in the characters etc. But it's still all about spectacle. Looks absolutely fantastic. The jungle at night is beautiful. And all the subtle touches make it for me.

(in reply to somekindof_battery)
Post #: 85
RE: Avatar - 10/1/2010 3:25:18 PM   
isnt.it.ironic

Had to leave the showing of avatar I was at early so as not to miss the last bus home. Was tempted to spend the night stranded in Glasgow, but well...

We left just after the hometree was knocked over, and jake was trying to win back the trust of the tribe by flying in on the massive scary red winged creature, the name of which I don't remember.

Would really appreciate the help

(in reply to The Hooded Man)
Post #: 86
RE: Avatar - 10/1/2010 4:45:46 PM   
Rgirvan44

So if one of the dragons or horses jumped on a Na'vi and stuck its USB cord into them, would the Na'vi need to cart them around for the rest of their days?

(in reply to isnt.it.ironic)
Post #: 87
RE: Avatar - 10/1/2010 6:10:19 PM   
juanvasquez

Maybe the 4 assed monkeys do.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 88
Avatar / deleted scenes - 11/1/2010 7:04:37 AM   
Tech_Noir

I was watching this short interview with Sam Worthington and Cameron on YouTube and there was some shots of Jake in a bar on Earth. I guess some of that was shot, hopefully it'll all be on the DVD.

(in reply to juanvasquez)
Post #: 89
RE: Avatar - 11/1/2010 9:14:23 AM   
rich

quote:

ORIGINAL: isnt.it.ironic

Had to leave the showing of avatar I was at early so as not to miss the last bus home. Was tempted to spend the night stranded in Glasgow, but well...

We left just after the hometree was knocked over, and jake was trying to win back the trust of the tribe by flying in on the massive scary red winged creature, the name of which I don't remember.

Would really appreciate the help

Uh you basically missed the epic (EPIC) action finale and resolution of the film, which goes as you would predict.

Meanwhile...

(in reply to isnt.it.ironic)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: Avatar Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI