Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> Avatar Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The Hooded Man

It's astounding and will be one of a lot of people's favourite films. Can't wait for it to go on general release so I can see it again.

Counting the minutes until the over zealous mods lock this thread too.
Post #: 1
RE: Avatar - 15/12/2009 11:55:28 AM   
Snake-Eyes

I'm sure it will be a great film and hopefully we'll all be posting in 'Favourite Films'.  Have you seen it yet Hooded Man?

"When you have to shoot, shoot don't talk."

http://www.expendablespremiere.com/index.html

(in reply to The Hooded Man)
Post #: 2
RE: Avatar - 15/12/2009 12:05:35 PM   
shool

I think we're a bit premature here since we have an Avatar future films thread and an Avatar review thread.

Locked.

Invisio Text for Spoilers
[ color=#F1F1F1 ] Spoiler text [ /color ] , remove spaces between square brackets

"No one knows what it means, but it's provocative... It gets the people going!"

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 3
RE: Avatar - 15/12/2009 12:31:56 PM   
shool

The gods are smiling kindly today. This is re-opened but please try and not duplicate too many cross thread discussions.

Enjoy.

[ color=#F1F1F1 ] Spoiler text [ /color ] , remove spaces between square brackets

(in reply to shool)
Post #: 4
RE: Avatar - 15/12/2009 12:34:56 PM   
The Hooded Man

Yes Snake-Eyes I have, if you like Cameron's Aliens and Terminator films you will love this. It's very heavy on the effects, but my God what effects.

(in reply to shool)
Post #: 5
RE: Avatar - 15/12/2009 2:52:09 PM   
Snake-Eyes

quote:

ORIGINAL: The Hooded Man

Yes Snake-Eyes I have, if you like Cameron's Aliens and Terminator films you will love this. It's very heavy on the effects, but my God what effects.

the only Cameron film I didn't like (in fact, I HATE) is Titanic. I know that AVATAR has a prominent love-story there but I have a good feeling about it.

Post #: 6
RE: Avatar - 15/12/2009 4:06:33 PM   
krudler

quote:

ORIGINAL: Snake-Eyes

quote:

the only Cameron film I didn't like (in fact, I HATE) is Titanic. I know that AVATAR has a prominent love-story there but I have a good feeling about it.

Theres a love story at the heart of most of Cameron's movies though, Terminator, The Abyss, True Lies, even Aliens to an extent, all revolve around a relationship, the action is just the icing on the cake

quote:

ORIGINAL: Squidward Hark Bugle

3D moving images are not films, they're holograms, and should be treated as a separate medium of storytelling, or artform.

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 7
RE: Avatar - 15/12/2009 4:19:14 PM   
The Hooded Man

The love story is an important part of the story but it's not THE story.

(in reply to krudler)
Post #: 8
RE: Avatar - 15/12/2009 4:25:41 PM   
Virgil Brigman

Went and booked my tickets today. As a dedicated apostle of The Church of Cameron and an avid reader of The Terminator Gospels (Book of Cameron to exact), I cannot wait to see this.

< Message edited by Virgil Brigman -- 15/12/2009 4:26:14 PM >

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attackships on fire of the shoulder of Orion. I've seen c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tenhauser gate. All those moments will be lost, in time, like tears in rain. Time to Die.

Post #: 9
RE: Avatar - 15/12/2009 4:25:58 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

ORIGINAL: shool

The gods are smiling kindly today. This is re-opened but please try and not duplicate too many cross thread discussions.

Enjoy.

Avatar - so good it even makes a mod change their mind!

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to shool)
Post #: 10
RE: Avatar - 15/12/2009 4:27:14 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

ORIGINAL: krudler

quote:

ORIGINAL: Snake-Eyes

quote:

Theres a love story at the heart of most of Cameron's movies though, Terminator, The Abyss, True Lies, even Aliens to an extent, all revolve around a relationship, the action is just the icing on the cake

I think that you have that the wrong way around. The relationship stuff is the icing on a cake of AWESOME ACTION.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to krudler)
Post #: 11
RE: Avatar - 15/12/2009 4:30:16 PM   
Deviation

And lets not bring into question the creepy nature of The Terminator love story.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 12
RE: Avatar - 15/12/2009 4:30:56 PM   
shool

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

quote:

ORIGINAL: shool

Enjoy.

Avatar - so good it even makes a mod change their mind!

Well I still think its premature as most of the discussion in here belong probably in future films as its only the hooded man thats seen it. But its likely we were going to need a favourite films thread at some point anyway.

< Message edited by shool -- 15/12/2009 4:32:54 PM >

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 13
RE: Avatar - 17/12/2009 6:26:11 PM   
Snake-Eyes

I just got back from watching it at a packed BFI IMAX, Waterloo. From the very opening shot you are transported to a beautifully rendered world and the narration by Jake Sully (Sam Worthington) is subtle and sets up the universe perfectly. The show -stealer in terms of performance is Zoe Saldana's 'Ney'tiri' - she is a firece, beautiful warrior who you can't help but fall for. Sigourney Weaver's Dr. Augustine is NOT just 'Ripley-Revisited' but a strong female character in her own right. Mr. Lang is a suitably bad mofo as the evil Colonel Quaritch.The 3D? WOW. It's the BEST way to present a film of such a huge scale and ONLY James Cameron could have pulled this off. Awesome film. A DEFINITE favourite of mine now. Forget about what the skeptics say, just SEE IT!!

< Message edited by Snake-Eyes -- 17/12/2009 6:39:12 PM >

(in reply to shool)
Post #: 14
RE: Avatar - 17/12/2009 6:36:37 PM   
Snake-Eyes

I'm still buzzing from this film! Wanna go see it again!

< Message edited by Snake-Eyes -- 17/12/2009 6:39:52 PM >

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 15
RE: Avatar - 17/12/2009 9:34:36 PM   
krudler

Saw it last night, awesome spectacle, not without its flaws, the script is dodgy and a lot of the themes arent fully explored given the lenghty running time, but the 3D is hugely immersive without being constantly shoved in your face all the time, computer monitors have their own depth of field even when in the background , the trees and foliage of Pandora get in the way to the point where you want to reach out and move them out of the way, dust, flames, missles, arrows and debris fly towards the screen in all the right places,the audience i saw it with loved it anyway given their reactions, this is going to be huge

quote:

ORIGINAL: Squidward Hark Bugle

3D moving images are not films, they're holograms, and should be treated as a separate medium of storytelling, or artform.

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 16
RE: Avatar - 17/12/2009 9:37:02 PM   
Snake-Eyes

I can't wait to see it again and then on blu-ray; I can't wait to dissect the film and indulge in the extras.

(in reply to krudler)
Post #: 17
RE: Avatar - 19/12/2009 7:03:03 PM   
Virgil Brigman

Just back from seeing it. Oh My God. Amazing film. Alright, I am a Cameron fan so my critical faculties are a little bias towards it, but I can't help it. Right from the opening frame, James Cameron gives us a universe to really fall in love it, beautifully rendered and developed. Sam Worthington lives up the hype with a nicely tough and sensitive performance, great voiceover, I am sooooo in love with Zoe Saldana, Sigourney Weaver and Stephen Lang both deserve Oscar nominations if you ask me, especially Weaver who brings a lot more than just Ripley to proceedings (how right you are Snake Eyes), James Horner's score is pounding stuff, and the 3-D is the best yet, it works so well, but thankfully the film has more to offer than just that. Looking forward to seeing it again over the Christmas holidays. Love the fact that this movie has been released in the same year as Transformers 2. What we have here is a guy who has delivered a great action adventure film, but is anchored with emotional intelligence, unlike the turd like work delivered by the likes of Michael Bay. Mr Cameron, please don't leave us waiting another twelve years.

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attackships on fire of the shoulder of Orion. I've seen c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tenhauser gate. All those moments will be lost, in time, like tears in rain. Time to Die.

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 18
RE: Avatar - 19/12/2009 8:27:02 PM   
DAVID GILLESPIE

I had my reservations about this film before going in to see it but what a spectacle. Perhaps the greatest special effects put to a film and the 3D interactive effects are jaw dropping. I agree with those that say this will change the canvas for the big budget blockbuster forever. The dialogue is ropey at times but very impressive indeed.

Cludge Judge * Cold Fish

(in reply to Virgil Brigman)
Post #: 19
RE: Avatar - 19/12/2009 9:04:46 PM   
Rgirvan44

Not as fun as Star Trek, thoughtful as Moon or as mechtastic as District 9.

It was very nice to look at, but a hollow experience.

(in reply to DAVID GILLESPIE)
Post #: 20
RE: Avatar - 19/12/2009 9:20:21 PM   
Timmy_Brisby_05

ARG!

MY EYES!

Bolt: [gets up and looks up at the cats] Hello, hairballs.

Post #: 21
RE: Avatar - 20/12/2009 10:14:55 PM   
DazDaMan

But Timmy! It's an animated blue cat-woman-thingy-creature! Shouldn't that be right up your alley??

You fucking fuckers are gonna do what I say or I'm going to stick my foot so far up your assholes you'll rue the day you crawled out of your mother's twat!

(in reply to Timmy_Brisby_05)
Post #: 22
RE: Avatar - 20/12/2009 10:23:10 PM   
juanvasquez

Indeed!

As a spectacle/event, it's unrivalled. I don't think I've enjoyed a trip to the cinema so much. But as a movie, it's just decent. It's not Cameron's best, but not bad by any means.

Check out my cult games reviews and features at Horror Cult Films

(in reply to DazDaMan)
Post #: 23
RE: Avatar - 21/12/2009 8:21:26 AM   
grucl

What an experience! Great film.

Fact: Neytiri is the hottest female in cinema of 2009.

< Message edited by grucl -- 21/12/2009 8:22:01 AM >

(in reply to juanvasquez)
Post #: 24
RE: Avatar - 21/12/2009 9:11:55 AM   
CORLEONE

She's right up there with Jessica Rabbit.

Al Swearengen: "Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back".

(in reply to grucl)
Post #: 25
RE: Avatar - 21/12/2009 9:15:26 AM   
Timmy_Brisby_05

Beats Jessica Rabbit!

Bolt: [gets up and looks up at the cats] Hello, hairballs.

(in reply to CORLEONE)
Post #: 26
RE: Avatar - 21/12/2009 9:19:29 AM   
CORLEONE

Now you're being silly.

Al Swearengen: "Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back".

(in reply to Timmy_Brisby_05)
Post #: 27
RE: Avatar - 21/12/2009 8:52:19 PM   
hampstead bandit

the best bits were the AWESOME "heads-up display" computer monitor thingies in the ship's cockpits and mining centre's control room

in one shot during the opening sequence, the shuttle pilot pushes a HUD aside on a slider, so he has a better view through the cockpit window of the landing site, wow!

in another shot, one of the Avatar scientists grabs a transparent tablet off a display and walks with it in his hands, whilst the tablet has the graphics on it

the shot where the mining machines are working, with miners walking in front of them...WOW!!!

and the helicopter-lizard thingies in the Pandoran Jungles, those were seriously cool - can I have one please?

the film itself? good, but not great :(

great "entertainment" though ;)

< Message edited by hampstead bandit -- 21/12/2009 8:53:31 PM >

(in reply to CORLEONE)
Post #: 28
RE: Avatar - 21/12/2009 11:31:59 PM   
DazDaMan

Well, I'm not long back in seeing it, and I'd have to say that's got to be one of the best cinematic experiences I've had. Ever.

Yes, I paid that bit extra for the 3D experience, but for my money, that is simply the best way to see it - big screen, three dimensions. Cameron delivers, big style.

I haven't actually seen a 3D film "proper" before, so maybe that was part of what made it great? But there were times in it where you swore blind that they'd gone somewhere and filmed the jungle. The Na'vi were sometimes so convincing (especially in close-up) that I could have sworn they were guys in suits.

Story-wise, yes, a bit weak, but that's not what you see it for. It's like Titanic in a way - you knew the story, but that's not what you went to see.

See it again? Oh yeah.

You fucking fuckers are gonna do what I say or I'm going to stick my foot so far up your assholes you'll rue the day you crawled out of your mother's twat!

(in reply to hampstead bandit)
Post #: 29
RE: Avatar - 22/12/2009 10:48:27 AM   
Captain Black

I loved it too. It's a work of wild imagination and technical achievement, and while it lacks depth and complexity, it's a good hearted film that carries a strong message. And that message is: Always bet on the guy riding on the red and black dragon.

There are a lot of comparisons with Aliens, but in truth it's closer to a hybrid sequel to that film and The Abyss (Grace is much more Lindsey Brigman than Ellen Ripley), but while it contains numerous comparisons with those two (here the scientists replace the rig workers), this is never more than a polite nod in their direction rather than a lack of creativity - because in terms of the design work, the creation of a world (whoo! Floating mountains!) and a living, working eco system, this just soars (hell, he's even given the Na'vi some form of biological USB connection).

The characters, as with most of Cameron's stuff, are broad. Worthington's performance in the lead isn't quite the star making turn that hype would indicate, but he's got good charisma and does hold the centre of the film well. That he comes across better in avatar form speaks wonder for the whole process - there is acting and soul behind those CG characters. Saldana is really great, Weaver is the complete professional as ever, and Stephen Lang is every bit as strong as the preview clips would indicate. He stays on just the right side of the line as scenery chewing villain, and instead of being dragged down with backstory instead operates as a primal force of bad-assery.

And I've got to mention the final battle sequence. It's large scale (though possibly doesn't have the greatest volume of hardware we've seen recently) and succeeds where so many blockbusters fail because it has a sense of sustained pace, rythm, progression and clarity of shot.

This was my first 3D film too, and while I'm not convinced a 3D is essential, it really benefitted in a number of sequences -- whenever the camera pushed forwards into the jungle for instance, or the great clouds of particles during the action sequences really added to the immersion.

< Message edited by Captain Black -- 22/12/2009 10:49:17 AM >

Invisiotext:
[color=#F1F1F1]text[/color]

(in reply to DazDaMan)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> Avatar Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI