Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Like a fight scene - hit and miss

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Like a fight scene - hit and miss Page: <<   < prev  7 8 [9] 10 11   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Like a fight scene - hit and miss - 17/12/2009 4:33:48 PM   
tonethestone

dont think ive ever seen a film get such amazing reviews as Avatar, hope it lives up to it, seeing IMAX London this Sunday.

Nxt up.... The Descendants

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 241
RE: Like a fight scene - hit and miss - 17/12/2009 5:30:21 PM   
Deviation

quote:

ORIGINAL: tonethestone

dont think ive ever seen a film get such amazing reviews as Avata
r, hope it lives up to it, seeing IMAX London this Sunday.

Really, I thought most of them said that is suffered a bit script wise, even those which acclaim it and it got some slack as well.

Or are you referring on this website?

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to tonethestone)
Post #: 242
RE: Like a fight scene - hit and miss - 17/12/2009 5:55:27 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation

quote:

Really, I thought most of them said that is suffered a bit script wise, even those which acclaim it and it got some slack as well.

Indeed. This year alone The Hurt Locker, UP, District 9 and Star Trek have all scored higher on RottenTomatoes.

I too saw the film last night. I hated the first 40 minutes, enjoyed the last 90 minutes or so, and feel indifferent towards the middle. It was an entertaining romp, but the script was dire and hardly the revolution we were told to expect (by Cameron). Perhaps the biggest indictment of the film was that by the time I woke up this morning I had all but forgotten the film, at least in the way a good blockbuster type usually implants itself on my memory. It wasnt bad, just a bit forgettable.

Here's a facebook comment I left on a friends page this morning -

"I'll do a proper review this evening. Retrospectively I'm not sure how I feel about it. I think that essentially it's rather dull and unexciting, but as a spectacle it's great. Emotionally it was largely unengaging, which pretty much comes down to the fact that outside of close ups I didn't "buy" the na'vi as real characters. I dont want to sound overly negative, i really did enjoy it, but it was ultimately rather forgetful after a couple of hours sleep on it. Oh, and any one proclaiming it the greatest film they've ever seen, or even the best of the year wants shooting in the head (or at the very least need to see more films).

I genuinely didnt think it felt "epic". The scale was so far removed from what I expected, which wasn't helped by a reliance on close ups to sell the realism angle. There was one shot were I genuinely thought the scope was there, and that was as they crossed the branch-bridge thing when Jake went to pick his flying beast. To me It didn't have the scope of The Lord of the Rings films, or even Star Trek, which I think was it's ultimate disappointment."

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 243
RE: Like a fight scene - hit and miss - 17/12/2009 5:56:46 PM   
tonethestone

just in general, especially from so called 'top critics' on RT, have heard few things slightly negative about story, but mainly I hear story is simplistic but great. Overall seems to be one of the highest rated films of this yr at least.

quote:

quote:

Or are you referring on this website?

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 244
RE: Like a fight scene - hit and miss - 17/12/2009 5:58:47 PM   
Scruffybobby

I wasn't too convinced by the pre release hype, I wasn't blown away by the trailers and the 15 min "Avatar Day" showreel left me interested but.a little underwhelmed. I therefore am veryy happy to say that I loved the final film.

I think that it helped seeing everything in context but 4 months on the 3D just seemed to work better, the action was more exciting, the world that bit more enchanting. To get it out of the way - is this the revolution that will change cinema for ever? No it's not Is it though a beautifully realised,lovingly created exciting and enthralling piece of science fiction fantasy? Absolutely. The Naavi and the various cgi beasties never look completely real and the environments aren't one hundred percent convincing either, but they are nothing short of gorgeous. The story isn't exactly original or subtle either but it still engages completely.

The 3D is used subtly, there's very little of the "pointy stick waving in your face" type of effect. The aim here seems to be to create depth of field and it works, whether or not it's greatly better than 2D is open to debate but it's very well used here. I'd be more than happy to see it again to find out.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 245
RE: Like a fight scene - hit and miss - 17/12/2009 6:04:57 PM   
tonethestone

end of day it's personal preference, how District 9 got a single good review I'll never know. Heard Avatar is mind blowing from friends who I trust, I remember a load of reviews on here being v negative about TDK story when it came out, some ppl are just never happy and go into films to bash the movie deliberately, not saying that's you, just saying in general. Nothing worse than someone shouting over everyone on way out of film saying how bad it was, like when I went to see Star Trek couple of ppl just talking v loudly about how poor the acting, story, how it was not slightly epic.....

quote:

ORIGINAL: adambatman82

quote:

quote:

Indeed. This year alone The Hurt Locker, UP, District 9 and Star Trek have all scored higher on RottenTomatoes.

I too saw the film last night. I hated the first 40 minutes, enjoyed the last 90 minutes or so, and feel indifferent towards the middle. It was an entertaining romp, but the script was dire and hardly the revolution we were told to expect (by Cameron). Perhaps the biggest indictment of the film was that by the time I woke up this morning I had all but forgotten the film, at least in the way a good blockbuster type usually implants itself on my memory. It wasnt bad, just a bit forgettable.

"I'll do a proper review this evening. Retrospectively I'm not sure how I feel about it. I think that essentially it's rather dull and unexciting, but as a spectacle it's great. Emotionally it was largely unengaging, which pretty much comes down to the fact that outside of close ups I didn't "buy" the na'vi as real characters. I dont want to sound overly negative, i really did enjoy it, but it was ultimately rather forgetful after a couple of hours sleep on it. Oh, and any one proclaiming it the greatest film they've ever seen, or even the best of the year wants shooting in the head (or at the very least need to see more films).

I genuinely didnt think it felt "epic". The scale was so far removed from what I expected, which wasn't helped by a reliance on close ups to sell the realism angle. There was one shot were I genuinely thought the scope was there, and that was as they crossed the branch-bridge thing when Jake went to pick his flying beast. To me It didn't have the scope of The Lord of the Rings films, or even Star Trek, which I think was it's ultimate disappointment."

(in reply to adambatman82)
Post #: 246
RE: Like a fight scene - hit and miss - 17/12/2009 6:05:15 PM   
Deviation

quote:

quote:

quote:

That's true, that's truer than true, all of it (except from the liking bit), for a film ranting about EPICNESS it lacked that feel, it wasn't even as epic as Princess Mononoke.

Tbh you could just say it's mediocre, there is no better word to describe it.

quote:

There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

Post #: 247
RE: Like a fight scene - hit and miss - 17/12/2009 6:10:31 PM   
tonethestone

nice! Keep hearing how epic and great it is, can't wait now.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Scruffybobby

I wasn't too convinced by the pre release hype, I wasn't blown away by the trailers and the 15 min "Avatar Day" showreel left me interested but.a little underwhelmed. I therefore am veryy happy to say that I loved the final film.

I think that it helped seeing everything in context but 4 months on the 3D just seemed to work better, the action was more exciting, the world that bit more enchanting. To get it out of the way - is this the revolution that will change cinema for ever? No it's not Is it though a beautifully realised,lovingly created exciting and enthralling piece of science fiction fantasy? Absolutely. The Naavi and the various cgi beasties never look completely real and the environments aren't one hundred percent convincing either, but they are nothing short of gorgeous. The story isn't exactly original or subtle either but it still engages completely.

The 3D is used subtly, there's very little of the "pointy stick waving in your face" type of effect. The aim here seems to be to create depth of field and it works, whether or not it's greatly better than 2D is open to debate but it's very well used here. I'd be more than happy to see it again to find out.

(in reply to Scruffybobby)
Post #: 248
RE: Like a fight scene - hit and miss - 17/12/2009 6:11:54 PM   
Deviation

quote:

just in general, especially from so called 'top critics' on RT, have heard few things slightly negative about story, but mainly I hear story is simplistic but great. Overall seems to be one of the highest rated films of this yr at least.

You have a point there, the top critics rating is high.

Anyway, I'm off hypnotizing people to watch Where the Wild Things Are over Avatar through subliminal messages. It's a mission doomed from the start.

Its still rated very high on metacritic. but it lacks the 14 negative reviews of RT.

quote:

quote:

Post #: 249
RE: Like a fight scene - hit and miss - 17/12/2009 6:21:54 PM   
tonethestone

Cool, WTWTA is a great film.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 250
RE: Like a fight scene - hit and miss - 17/12/2009 6:38:38 PM   
adambatman82

I saw WTWTA on Friday, and was so sold on it that I took the missus to see it on Saturday morning. I think that I responded to that on an emotional level so highly that Im marking Avatar down for not been on the same scale, which is obviously rather unfair.

Post #: 251
RE: Outstanding - 17/12/2009 6:42:16 PM   
tonethestone

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bighousewill

Absolutely remarkable the special FX will blow your mind. The things you can do with modern technology! The navi are actual real actors and they look so convincingly real amd alive. Pandora is alive it is amazing. Also its a very good sci fi story. Watch in 3D it adds to the immersion.

terrific stuff

Post #: 252
RE: Outstanding - 17/12/2009 6:45:52 PM   
adambatman82

I asked the group that I saw the film with last night this question -Yes, or No, post-Avatar is 3D the future? This is it really for the format, the film we've all being waiting for to see just what it can do. So yeah, if you had to give a definitive answer of yes or no, what would it be?

Post #: 253
RE: Like a fight scene - hit and miss - 17/12/2009 6:47:49 PM   
Deviation

quote:

I saw WTWTA on Friday, and was so sold on it that I took the missus to see it on Saturday morning. I think that I responded to that on an emotional level so highly that Im marking Avatar down for not been on the same scale, which is obviously rather unfair.

I saw Avatar and WTWTA on the same day at the cinema. Maybe that made Avatar worse for me. WTWTA felt more real and alive with lesser technology (and things on screen) a backdrop that was mostly desert and it managed captivated me, yet Avatar with much more technology in its desposal failed to do so.

But one had a great script and the other didn't. That helps too.

quote:

quote:

Post #: 254
RE: Outstanding - 17/12/2009 6:51:46 PM   
juanvasquez

I think for this sort of spectacle, then hell yes. I don't think I would have enjoyed it half as much without the 3D. It really sucked you into the world. Smaller films though, I don't think would benefit, or make any difference.

Check out my cult games reviews and features at Horror Cult Films

Post #: 255
RE: Outstanding - 17/12/2009 6:56:04 PM   
Deviation

quote:

would
quote:

I asked the group that I saw the film with last night this question -Yes, or No, post-Avatar is 3D the future? This is it really for the format, the film we've all being waiting for to see just what it can do. So yeah, if you had to give a definitive answer of yes or no, what would it be?

For the love of God NO. No and no. Please no.

quote:

quote:

Post #: 256
RE: Outstanding - 17/12/2009 6:58:53 PM   
tonethestone

quote:

ppl I know who've seen it would say yes to all those, easy.

Post #: 257
RE: Outstanding - 17/12/2009 7:05:03 PM   
Deviation

quote:

ORIGINAL: juanvasquez

I think for this sort of spectacle, then hell yes. I don't think I would have enjoyed it half as much without the 3D. It really sucked you into the world. Smaller films though, I don't think would benefit, or make any difference.

I just hope those smaller films don't suffer in being made because of this 3D.

quote:

quote:

(in reply to juanvasquez)
Post #: 258
RE: Outstanding - 17/12/2009 7:14:23 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

quote:

ppl I know who've seen it would say yes to all those, easy.

Not one of the four people I saw the film with said they would choose 3D over 2D wholeheartedly. I dont think it will ever fully takeover myself, in spite of how good it looked. At the end of the day while it requires glasses 3D is distracting.

Post #: 259
RE: Outstanding - 17/12/2009 7:16:55 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: juanvasquez

I just hope those smaller films don't suffer in being made because of this 3D.

Yeah thats my worry. The thing that really annoys me is that kids films, and animated films in general seem to HAVE to be released in 3D now. It pains me to think that 12 months from now, if Fantastic Mr Fox or WTWTA was released then instead of now they would probably be in 3D.

On the bright side I can't see a filmmaker like Scorsese or Coppola ever messing about with 3D.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 260
RE: Outstanding - 17/12/2009 7:20:27 PM   
Deviation

Well isn't Sodenbergh doing a film on 3D?

THE END IS NIGH THE END IS NIGH*

*I love overreacting.

quote:

quote:

Post #: 261
RE: Outstanding - 17/12/2009 7:34:33 PM   
adambatman82

He was doing Cleopatra 3D, but I think he's struggled with funding.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 262
RE: Avatar - 17/12/2009 7:35:43 PM   
R W

Director/Screenwriter: James Cameron
Starring: Sam Worthington, Zoe Saldana, Sigourney Weaver, Stephen Lang, Michelle Rodriguez, Giovanni Ribisi, Joel David Moore

Synopsis
In the future, Jake Sully (Worthington), a paraplegic war veteran, is brought to another planet, Pandora, which is inhabited by the Na'vi, a humanoid race with their own language and culture. When Jake enters their tribe in the body of an avatar that resembles the Na'vi, he falls for Neytiri (Saldana) which forces him to fight with the aliens against his own kind.

Review
Twelve years ago, James Cameron who made a name of himself for his Terminator franchise was declared "King of the World" when he made the melodramatic romance epic Titantic, which not only got eleven Oscars but became the highest grossing film in history. Between then and now, he went on to do expedition documentaries about the Mid-Ocean Ridge and the legendary sunken ship that won him three Academy Awards. But for the hardcore Cameron fans, including myself, we wanted to see him come back to the genre that him a star. Now he has finally returned to narrative cinema with his biggest film to date.

Originally entitled Project 880, the genesis of this project started in the early 90s after his sci-fi action masterpiece Terminator 2. Inspired by a lot of the science-fiction literature from the 40s and 50s in which such stories were about space marines rather than a dystopian future, Cameron was preparing an epic that would update the style of Edgar Rice Burroughs' John Carter series.

Apart from being a sci-fi pic that is about entering a brave new world, this also hearts back to a lot of the period epics during the middle of the last century, such as Lawrence of Arabia and most notably Dances with Wolves, as the plot of Avatar reflects the journey of Kevin Costner as an American soldier learning and eventually loving the ways of the Indians, which forces him to fight his own army. You should say the alternative title for this film is Dances with Smurfs.

Another film that reflects on Avatar is Terrence Malick's The New World, in which both films have their protagonists exploring strange environments that are conquered by green forests and unusual wildlife. The love story between the outsider Jake and the blue angel Neytiri is a reflection of John Smith in love with the Virginia Indian princess Pocahontas.

While the story isn't all that original, the planet of Pandora truly brings out the best of FX company Weta, who also created Middle-earth and Skull Island. Once you see this rainforest planet for the first time (and hopefully in IMAX 3D), you will understand why it took such a long time for the film to be made. With many people quoted Avatar as being "the most expensive film ever made", it is obvious that all the money was spent on not only the visual effects to create every single leaf and creature (big and small), but also the performance capture to fully bring the Na'vi to life. If you think chubby Ray Winstone look great as the muscular warrior Beowulf, you should see Zoe Saldana performing a blue-coloured beauty who is out of the world.

For a film that is two hours and three quarters long, Cameron is able to make the story flyby. Though he does concentrate on CG characters, he doesn't provide the high drama of every character involved as there isn't much screen-time to fully flesh out the people, both human and Na'vi alike.

There are however great performances from the leads, particularly Terminator Salvation's star Sam Worthington who starts of as a marine on a wheelchair and then into a warrior for nature. There are a number of sequences, in which he does a series of video blogs that are to display a narration for the film, though it is overused. Once he is a man in blue, he sparks a great chemistry with Zoe Saldana's Na'vi to help bring out a beautiful love story that totally beats the romance of Jack and Rose.

The human ensemble are at best your typical sci-fi characters, such as Sigourney Weaver (in her first film with Cameron since Aliens) as the head scientist who is very driven and idealistic towards her work on Pandora, while Stephen Lang as the hard-ass military villain who prefers to destroy and ask questions later. If there is one supporting player who should show up more is Michelle Rodriguez whose tough exterior and personality is a great homage to the character of Vasquez from Aliens.

Verdict
While it does promise as being the future of cinema, it does not show the brilliance of Cameron's previous sci-fi work or even this year's District 9. And yet, with its extraordinary visuals and epic action, Avatar is at best an experience that can only be seen through the use of 3D.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 263
RE: Avatar - 17/12/2009 7:45:56 PM   
tonethestone

think I'll ignore reading whole of this review if they think District 9 is good.

quote:

ORIGINAL: R W

Director/Screenwriter: James Cameron
Starring: Sam Worthington, Zoe Saldana, Sigourney Weaver, Stephen Lang, Michelle Rodriguez, Giovanni Ribisi, Joel David Moore

Synopsis
In the future, Jake Sully (Worthington), a paraplegic war veteran, is brought to another planet, Pandora, which is inhabited by the Na'vi, a humanoid race with their own language and culture. When Jake enters their tribe in the body of an avatar that resembles the Na'vi, he falls for Neytiri (Saldana) which forces him to fight with the aliens against his own kind.

Review
Twelve years ago, James Cameron who made a name of himself for his Terminator franchise was declared "King of the World" when he made the melodramatic romance epic Titantic, which not only got eleven Oscars but became the highest grossing film in history. Between then and now, he went on to do expedition documentaries about the Mid-Ocean Ridge and the legendary sunken ship that won him three Academy Awards. But for the hardcore Cameron fans, including myself, we wanted to see him come back to the genre that him a star. Now he has finally returned to narrative cinema with his biggest film to date.

Originally entitled Project 880, the genesis of this project started in the early 90s after his sci-fi action masterpiece Terminator 2. Inspired by a lot of the science-fiction literature from the 40s and 50s in which such stories were about space marines rather than a dystopian future, Cameron was preparing an epic that would update the style of Edgar Rice Burroughs' John Carter series.

Apart from being a sci-fi pic that is about entering a brave new world, this also hearts back to a lot of the period epics during the middle of the last century, such as Lawrence of Arabia and most notably Dances with Wolves, as the plot of Avatar reflects the journey of Kevin Costner as an American soldier learning and eventually loving the ways of the Indians, which forces him to fight his own army. You should say the alternative title for this film is Dances with Smurfs.

Another film that reflects on Avatar is Terrence Malick's The New World, in which both films have their protagonists exploring strange environments that are conquered by green forests and unusual wildlife. The love story between the outsider Jake and the blue angel Neytiri is a reflection of John Smith in love with the Virginia Indian princess Pocahontas.

While the story isn't all that original, the planet of Pandora truly brings out the best of FX company Weta, who also created Middle-earth and Skull Island. Once you see this rainforest planet for the first time (and hopefully in IMAX 3D), you will understand why it took such a long time for the film to be made. With many people quoted Avatar as being "the most expensive film ever made", it is obvious that all the money was spent on not only the visual effects to create every single leaf and creature (big and small), but also the performance capture to fully bring the Na'vi to life. If you think chubby Ray Winstone look great as the muscular warrior Beowulf, you should see Zoe Saldana performing a blue-coloured beauty who is out of the world.

For a film that is two hours and three quarters long, Cameron is able to make the story flyby. Though he does concentrate on CG characters, he doesn't provide the high drama of every character involved as there isn't much screen-time to fully flesh out the people, both human and Na'vi alike.

There are however great performances from the leads, particularly Terminator Salvation's star Sam Worthington who starts of as a marine on a wheelchair and then into a warrior for nature. There are a number of sequences, in which he does a series of video blogs that are to display a narration for the film, though it is overused. Once he is a man in blue, he sparks a great chemistry with Zoe Saldana's Na'vi to help bring out a beautiful love story that totally beats the romance of Jack and Rose.

The human ensemble are at best your typical sci-fi characters, such as Sigourney Weaver (in her first film with Cameron since Aliens) as the head scientist who is very driven and idealistic towards her work on Pandora, while Stephen Lang as the hard-ass military villain who prefers to destroy and ask questions later. If there is one supporting player who should show up more is Michelle Rodriguez whose tough exterior and personality is a great homage to the character of Vasquez from Aliens.

Verdict
While it does promise as being the future of cinema, it does not show the brilliance of Cameron's previous sci-fi work or even this year's District 9. And yet, with its extraordinary visuals and epic action, Avatar is at best an experience that can only be seen through the use of 3D.

(in reply to R W)
Post #: 264
RE: Avatar - 17/12/2009 8:30:07 PM   
The Todge

quote:

think I'll ignore reading whole of this review if they think District 9 is good.

Amen to that.  District fucking 9, honestly.

THIS..............is God.

Post #: 265
RE: Avatar - 17/12/2009 8:36:11 PM   
adambatman82

Since when was it popular to bash District 9? If Avatar had half the heart that D9 had it would have been a genuinely great film. As it is its but an empty shell, entertaining in the moment yet ultimately lacking.

(in reply to The Todge)
Post #: 266
RE: Avatar - 17/12/2009 9:07:52 PM   
rich

Fuck that, District 9 will remain my film of the year (unless Jim gives us something very special) and a hugely entertaining film that brings back some good old 80s sci-fi nastyness to a otherwise boring year in film. I will see Avatar tomorrow afternoon, and I really fucking hope the James Cameron that made The Terminator still exists. The 3D gimmick will be nice I'm sure, but it better be more than just a hollow spectacle.

Meanwhile...

Post #: 267
RE: Avatar - 17/12/2009 9:32:14 PM   
simonmckergan1

I saw this last night in a packed cinema and I really enjoyed it.   Sure the story was just Dances with Na'vi but I thought the film had genuine heart buried within all the very impressive CGI  At times it felt like a natural history programme, Pandora really did seem like a real world, filled with fantastic aliens and plants.  One of my favourite films this year and a must see in 3D.

9/10.

As you can see, my young apprentice, your friends have failed. Now witness the firepower of this fully ARMED and OPERATIONAL battle station!

(in reply to rich)
Post #: 268
RE: Outstanding - 17/12/2009 10:29:28 PM   
EyupLad

quote:

No. I don't know if it's just my eyes but 3D takes me out of the film with trying to refocus at every cut. I enjoyed the film, but need to see it in 2D to compare.

Post #: 269
RE: Avatar - 17/12/2009 11:16:56 PM   
R W

The reason I think Avatar is not as good as District 9 is because Cameron's film lacks the darkness and edginess of his previous work, while District 9 uses the cliches of western sci-fi and blends them with the harsh realities of South Africa. I'm sure people will draw comparisons between these two films, but you'll know which of these is my favourite sci-fi pic of the year.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 270
Page:   <<   < prev  7 8 [9] 10 11   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Like a fight scene - hit and miss Page: <<   < prev  7 8 [9] 10 11   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI