Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: The Boy Who cried "Classic"...

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: The Boy Who cried "Classic"... Page: <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The Boy Who cried "Classic"... - 15/12/2009 7:27:04 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

ORIGINAL: fierce-hairdo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

quote:

quote:

If it bothers you that much why bother coming to the website? Its not like you paid to read this review.

Ah, the old "go-and-play-on-your-own" routine.

Doesn't it bother you if you go and pay for a movie that you were wrongly informed was good??
I love films. I care if the biggest film magazine in the country has a habit of blindly selling Hollywwod pap. Because the flip side of that is that that low-budget, artistically adventurous but perhaps less profitable movies are sold short. More importantly we, the film going public, are sold short.

Examples?

Didn't Japanese film Departures get 5 stars? Didn't The White Ribbon get 4 stars (lacking one star for the worst reason imaginable)? Didn't they give a decent amount of focus to films like Southland Tales, Sunshine, The Box, District 9, Cloverfield, Rescue Dawn (the article on Herzog) and if I remember well, bring to attention films like The Baader Mienhoff Complex?

They do offer these films some coverage, not as much as the bigger ones, but they do give them coverage.

You're making my point for me. Yes they do often favorably rate art-house movies. But as you make clear, often a 3 star hype monster will get a full page review and the cover, while a 5 star independant gem will get a one paragraph mini review tucked away in corner without a picture. Talk about lacking the courage of their convictions!

An Avatar cover will sell many copies. Departures on the cover wouldn't sell as many. Its really as simple as that.

(in reply to fierce-hairdo)
Post #: 181
RE: Critical consensus..? - 15/12/2009 7:27:51 PM   
fierce-hairdo

quote:

ORIGINAL: adambatman82

quote:

http://www.timeout.com/film/reviews/87977/avatar.html

interesting...just another opinion before anyone starts hurling abuse...

Erm... and?

Whats that got to do with anything?

the link is an interesting review of the Avatar...

(in reply to adambatman82)
Post #: 182
RE: The Boy Who cried "Classic"... - 15/12/2009 7:35:49 PM   
fierce-hairdo

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

If it bothers you that much why bother coming to the website? Its not like you paid to read this review.

Doesn't it bother you if you go and pay for a movie that you were wrongly informed was good??
I love films. I care if the biggest film magazine in the country has a habit of blindly selling Hollywwod pap. Because the flip side of that is that that low-budget, artistically adventurous but perhaps less profitable movies are sold short. More importantly we, the film going public, are sold short.

Examples?

Didn't Japanese film Departures get 5 stars? Didn't The White Ribbon get 4 stars (lacking one star for the worst reason imaginable)? Didn't they give a decent amount of focus to films like Southland Tales, Sunshine, The Box, District 9, Cloverfield, Rescue Dawn (the article on Herzog) and if I remember well, bring to attention films like The Baader Mienhoff Complex?

They do offer these films some coverage, not as much as the bigger ones, but they do give them coverage.

You're making my point for me. Yes they do often favorably rate art-house movies. But as you make clear, often a 3 star hype monster will get a full page review and the cover, while a 5 star independant gem will get a one paragraph mini review tucked away in corner without a picture. Talk about lacking the courage of their convictions!

An Avatar cover will sell many copies. Departures on the cover wouldn't sell as many. Its really as simple as that.

Well exactly. Corporate values and market forces take priority over artistic value. We all know the reasons. Doesn't make it OK though. "Your film is great but it won't shift copies so don't expect support!" How depressing.

Post #: 183
RE: Critical consensus..? - 15/12/2009 7:36:39 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

quote:

quote:

Erm... and?

So is the one that this thread is a part of the comments section for. You can add your own thoughts to the Time Out review too, why not give it a try? Rotten Tomatoes should help you find other negative reviews of Avatar to comfort yourself in too. -
http://uk.rottentomatoes.com/m/avatar/?critic=columns&sortby=rotten&name_order=asc&view=#contentReviews

Your link to the Time Out review confirms the pretty explicit suspicions that you are little more than a troll. Hit the sack, its a school night.

Post #: 184
RE: The Boy Who cried "Classic"... - 15/12/2009 7:40:51 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Examples?

Well exactly. Corporate values and market forces take priority over artistic value. We all know the reasons. Doesn't make it OK though. "Your film is great but it won't shift copies so don't expect support!" How depressing.

Empire magazine is a business, not an artistic endeavor. Anyway, Empire has always been like this, its a mainstream publication. Why does it bother you so much? Its like your complaining about something for merely existing. Now, thats depressing.

< Message edited by adambatman82 -- 15/12/2009 7:41:48 PM >

Post #: 185
RE: Critical consensus..? - 15/12/2009 7:41:48 PM   
fierce-hairdo

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Erm... and?

So is the one that this thread is a part of the comments section for. You can add your own thoughts to the Time Out review too, why not give it a try? Rotten Tomatoes should help you find other negative reviews of Avatar to comfort yourself in too. -
http://uk.rottentomatoes.com/m/avatar/?critic=columns&sortby=rotten&name_order=asc&view=#contentReviews

Your link to the Time Out review confirms the pretty explicit suspicions that you are little more than a troll. Hit the sack, its a school night.

Mmmm... and you're an intellectual. Keep the insights coming Einstein!

Post #: 186
RE: The Boy Who cried "Classic"... - 15/12/2009 7:48:49 PM   
fierce-hairdo

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Examples?

Empire magazine is a business, not an artistic endeavor. Anyway, Empire has always been like this, its a mainstream publication. Why does it bother you so much? Its like your complaining about something for merely existing. Now, thats depressing.

Film is an art form. Film criticism is about evaluating film's merits as art and entertainment.
I've explained why putting market forces ahead of artistic worth bothers me in previous posts. I think it should bother you too unless you're happy for the bean-counters to have all the power and the film makers and film lovers to have none.

< Message edited by fierce-hairdo -- 15/12/2009 7:53:02 PM >

Post #: 187
RE: The Boy Who cried "Classic"... - 15/12/2009 7:55:06 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

Film is an art form. Film criticism is about evaluating film's merits as art and entertainment.
I've explained why putting market forces ahead of artistic worth bothers me in previous posts. I think it should bother you too unless you're happy for the bean counters to have all the power and the film makers to have none.

Well, duh?!

The thing you're forgetting though is that Empire isn't about hard film criticism. If you want that go for Film Comment, Cineaste or Sight and Sound. If you want a beyond-casual look into film from the point of view of a magazine thats very foundations were built on a love of the blockbuster then Empire is the magazine for you.

Post #: 188
RE: The Boy Who cried "Classic"... - 15/12/2009 8:51:32 PM   
elab49

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

quote:

A film critic doesn't just offer "one guy's opinion", he/she also has to help the punters get a true picture of the movie

I'm sorry, but you really need to reread that sentence - what exactly is the 'true' picture? And therein is the problem - there is no 'accepted' "everyone must think the same way" opinion (only person I know who thinks that is a regular multi-banned troll on here - not a view you really want to sign up with) - you get one person's view of what that is. Or do you believe the start of Dead Poet's Society? A nice wee graph and a score tells you if your poem is any good or not - can that apply to films? Because I'm pretty sure the message we take from that is the idea is bull.

So you get critics who like films and critics who loathe the same film - you seem to be wanting some kind of consensus committee and that isn't going to happen. And, again - unless you can prove the reviewer wrote something they didn't believe - you have no argument. I could spend my days on here in the There Will Be Blood thread saying everyone else is wrong - or Annie Hall. Christ, Annie Hall. Thing is - it's just my opinion.

Re-rating isn't proof - it is someone different doing the review. Happens quite often - Empire are perfectly open about it. Also, peoples' views on the same films can change - happens to me all the time. Maybe there is just something wrong with me too?

So - anyone actually seen the bloody film and wants to talk about it? Anyone? At all? Because I'm sure there is a slagging Empire with no actual robust basis everyone else can head off to - particularly as it is clear the 'arguments' are not Avatar specific but general.

I definitely do not want a consensus or views reached by committee. But what you're saying just amounts to relativism. As if no opinion should carry any more weight than any other. If what you're saying were true a five year old child's view on, say The White Ribbon, would be as as valid as someone more informed. I don't think that's the case. I think a skilled reviewer can have an opinion one disagrees with and still give an honest insight into what the film has to offer. It's as if you think it is impossible for a film review to be misleading.

It has nothing to do with relatavism and everything to do with the suggestion that there is some form of deliberate intent to mislead which is what this is, increasingly ridiculously, harping on.

If you don't think the reviewers in a particular publication tend to coincide with your opinion then don't read their reviews or don't get the magazine. But suggesting they are somehow wrong or misleading you is simply silly.

At least try to understand that you are disagreeing and what that means without me having to start quoting the OED in my sig for people who seem to have forgotten what the word 'opinion' means.

And I'm surprised to be honest you are still reading the site - looking at your other posts you've been repeating this same schtick for months now. We're beginning to wonder if you have some kind of 5 star alert feed so you can come back and, well - there does seem to be a lot of repitition and it has very little to do with the film. Just the same attack on the review and Empire. And without seeing the film.

So a reminder what the topic of this thread is - reviews of Avatar. Anything off-topic should go to a more appropriate forum. To existing threads. Ta.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

Post #: 189
RE: The Boy Who cried "Classic"... - 15/12/2009 8:53:52 PM   
DaveTheStampede

quote:

I've explained why putting market forces ahead of artistic worth bothers me in previous posts. I think it should bother you too unless you're happy for the bean-counters to have all the power and the film makers and film lovers to have none.

There are a few things wrong with this.

1) "... the bean-counters to have all the power and the film makers and film lovers to have none"

Wrong.  I think it would be entirely correct to say that, of all the films ever released, 'Avatar' is the one most in the film makers hands.  How else do you explain a ridiculous budget and 9ft-tall blue cat people?

And film lovers have ALL the power.  You don't like something, you don't watch it.  Enough people don't watch it, the film bombs.  The film bombs, we don't get others like it.  And just because someone doesn't dissect and analyse every frame and line of dialogue to find hidden meanings doesn't mean they are any less of a film fan.

2) "Film is an art form.  Film criticism is about evaluating film's merits as art and entertainment"

Right...

Who is to decide what is worthy of being called art, and what is not?  Who is to decide what is worthy of being called entertaining, and what is not?

Both are ENTIRELY subjective.

Art?  Art?  The art of what?  As a piece of art, Avatar represents what is now visually possible with enough money.  Whether you like the visuals they have created is another debate entirely, but you cannot deny the skill and so forth that went into it.  And despite my misgivings, you cannot deny the beauty of some of what has been created.  That must surely qualify it as 'art'.

And as for entertainment... The fact that there have been so MANY implies that there are enough people who find the various "___ Movie" films to be entertaining ('Scary Movie', 'Epic Movie' etc) that they keep on making them.  I can't stand them myself, but it's not for me to tell others what they can and cannot find entertaining.

Remember, I say all this as someone with deep misgivings about 'Avatar'.  I'll find out for myself sometime this week, but currently I'm worried that it's going to be very pretty, but not much else.  Maybe I'm right, or maybe Mr Hewitt was spot on.  As I say, I'll find out.

If I dislike it, I'll still be a film fan, I'll just know that Cameron has gone a direction I don't want to follow.
If I like it, I'll be man enough to say so.

But your current opinion of Empire's Avatar review is based solely on... almost nothing.  Previous form is a factor, I grant you, but then you simply take the review with a pinch of salt.  If you've agreed with Empire on all their reviews of big budget releases thus far, you'll have no reason to doubt the review of Avatar.  If you've disagreed every time, you mentally knock off a star or two from the score.  If you've disagreed occasionally, then it becomes more of a pot luck, I suppose.

The problem I find with arguments like yours, fierce-hairdo, is that they never leave any room to consider that maybe, just maybe, the reviewer simply loved what they saw.

Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two make four.
If that is granted, all else follows

Post #: 190
RE: Avatar - 15/12/2009 9:06:22 PM   
boove

Mods,

Is there any possible way to move this thread and start a new review thread on the day of general release?

This thread is really boring and it would be nice if there was a more concise read for people actually interested in other peoples real reviews about the film they have actually watched?

Any chance at all? 

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 191
RE: The Boy Who cried "Classic"... - 15/12/2009 9:12:24 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Neth

And if the vast majority still decree it to be "good" and you don't agree, doesn't that suggest the problem lays at your end?

I'd have to disagree with that. Just because there's a general consensus that something is good or bad doesn't mean someone is wrong if they disagree with it. Quite often the people who go against the crowd have the most interesting opinions on the film. Of course, there's going against the crowd because you honestly believe in your opinion and doing it solely to be contrarian and you also have to have seen the film first. Which seems to be the major problem on this thread. The problems I have with the Empire review "It's flawed, but five stars anyway" seem to affect a lot of the positive reviews of Avatar, so the way it's striking me is the experience is overpowering the flaws, which would suggest a film that  may not hold up to repeat viewings because once the initial experience has worn off the flaws may become more evident, but again, I'm just speculating because I haven't seen the film.

On that note, am I the only person who doesn't give a toss about Avatar either way? I don't like Cameron in general and while it may have some fine technological breakthroughs, it doesn't mean they're going to be tied to an impressive film. At the same time, I don't dislike Cameron enough to get worked up about it. Unless I'm dragged along to see it at the cinema in a group, I'll probably wait until it's out to rent to try it and I don't actually feel like I'm missing out on much by not seeing it in the cinema. Is it just me?

(in reply to Neth)
Post #: 192
RE: Dances with Ferngully.. Lost the Plot. - 15/12/2009 9:14:03 PM   
Keyser Sozzled

This thread has been so enjoyable

Everytime there is a thread like this it seems like all the newbies and newer posters band together to attempt some fucking stupid coup d'etat.

So let me get this straight. Some posters have suspicions that Chris Hewitts review is wrong on Avatar because they didn't agree with some of his other reviews and as a result of his other reviews they don't trust him in the first place....thus making any opinion he has on Avatar moot?

ITS A GOD DAMN MOTHERFUCKING JESUS TITTY FUCKING CHRIST OPINION

What's next suing MTV because they gave a positive review to an album, which I bought and then didn't like?.........Or maybe bringing a Class Action against my Aunt Mable and Uncle George because they recommended Stoke as a "Lovely" little getaway......

< Message edited by Keyser Sozzled -- 15/12/2009 9:20:07 PM >

I have no idea who any of them are, apart from Terry Pratchett who I know has got a beard and keeps going on about killing himself but never does.

(in reply to captainrentboy)
Post #: 193
RE: The Boy Who cried "Classic"... - 15/12/2009 9:18:21 PM   
captainrentboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: rawlinson

On that note, am I the only person who doesn't give a toss about Avatar either way?  Is it just me?

You just have to read pretty much any Talkback section over on AICN to know that, No, you're not the only one who has no interest in this particular film.

I'm really looking forward to seeing it now, strangely my anticipation for it had been fairly low over the last few months but has recently exploded with all the positive reviews and new scenes being shown in TV spots. Still have to wait until Thursday bloody night though.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 194
RE: The Boy Who cried "Classic"... - 15/12/2009 9:20:57 PM   
Neth

quote:

quote:

And if the vast majority still decree it to be "good" and you don't agree, doesn't that suggest the problem lays at your end?

I'd have to disagree with that. Just because there's a general consensus that something is good or bad doesn't mean someone is wrong if they disagree with it. Quite often the people who go against the crowd have the most interesting opinions on the film. Of course, there's going against the crowd because you honestly believe in your opinion and doing it solely to be contrarian and you also have to have seen the film first. Which seems to be the major problem on this thread. The problems I have with the Empire review "It's flawed, but five stars anyway" seem to affect a lot of the positive reviews of Avatar, so the way it's striking me is the experience is overpowering the flaws, which would suggest a film that  may not hold up to repeat viewings because once the initial experience has worn off the flaws may become more evident, but again, I'm just speculating because I haven't seen the film.

Sorry, I should have worded that better. I wasn't implying there was anything wrong with disagreeing with the critical consensus - rather that if somebody likes something that has been proven popular, and you don't, it's not really fair to start laying in to them and accuse them of "selling out."

"You taste like a burger. I don't like you anymore."

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 195
RE: The Boy Who cried "Classic"... - 15/12/2009 9:25:51 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: captainrentboy

quote:

On that note, am I the only person who doesn't give a toss about Avatar either way?  Is it just me?

You just have to read pretty much any Talkback section over on AICN to know that, No, you're not the only one who has no interest in this particular film.

I thought I was so alone.

quote:

Sorry, I should have worded that better. I wasn't implying there was anything wrong with disagreeing with the critical consensus - rather that if somebody likes something that has been proven popular, and you don't, it's not really fair to start laying in to them and accuse them of "selling out."

I agree, it's not really fair. And it's been said a few times but it's worth repeating, the general consensus on Avatar is strong so it seems odd to single out one reviewer as being a sell out.

I'm just so meh on the whole thing, which is actually probably the best way to see it because I have no real expectations either way. If it's bad it's just another Cameron film that I don't like, and if it's good it'll be a nice surprise. The hype that it's going to change  cinema as we know it is annoying, but films getting hyped to death is hardly a new experience.

(in reply to captainrentboy)
Post #: 196
RE: Avatar - 15/12/2009 10:06:12 PM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: boove

Mods,

Is there any possible way to move this thread and start a new review thread on the day of general release?

This thread is really boring and it would be nice if there was a more concise read for people actually interested in other peoples real reviews about the film they have actually watched?

Any chance at all? 

That was my concern I'm afraid - anyone looking for an actual review in this thread will need a bleeding magnifying glass. Maybe we should alter the title to suggest those interested in actual reviews start around page 27

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

(in reply to boove)
Post #: 197
RE: The Boy Who cried "Classic"... - 15/12/2009 10:08:45 PM   
fierce-hairdo

quote:

quote:

Furthermore, we do have some evidence: the re-rating of reviews come DVD release. It is nearly always in one direction - down (from hyped up "5 star masterpiece" to " 3 star - um,..not quite as good as we thought now the excitements died down... ". It obeys Hollywoods decree to get bum's on seats no-matter-what and leaves credibility until DVD release (or at least it looks that way more and more).

You know they're written by different reviewers, right?

Actually, I'm not sure this is true. Only when a review needs to be revised is it reviewed by someone different. Otherwise, they just post the original review again. So I guess that's not just differing opinions, rather an editor has deemed the original review inadequate in someway and in need of revision, otherwise why re-review?

(in reply to Neth)
Post #: 198
RE: The Boy Who cried "Classic"... - 15/12/2009 10:16:59 PM   
elab49

quote:

Only when a review needs to be revised is it reviewed by someone different. Otherwise, they just post the original review again.

Source?

quote:

Post #: 199
RE: The Boy Who cried "Classic"... - 15/12/2009 10:18:26 PM   
Felix

Do you work for Total Film? All your posts seem to be anti-Empire.

I'd like to remind you this is a free site kindly provided by Empire magazine, and as such you should feel free to, you know, contribute something else to the community apart from petty bitching.

[This space for rent] -

Post #: 200
RE: The Boy Who cried "Classic"... - 15/12/2009 10:21:08 PM   
Neth

quote:

Actually, I'm not sure this is true. Only when a review needs to be revised is it reviewed by someone different. Otherwise, they just post the original review again. So I guess that's not just differing opinions, rather an editor has deemed the original review inadequate in someway and in need of revision, otherwise why re-review?

Uh-huh. So why, then, is EVERY SINGLE DVD REVIEW this issue (January 2010) credited to a different person than the original cinema reviews were? I checked - I'm that petty.

"You taste like a burger. I don't like you anymore."

Post #: 201
RE: The Boy Who cried "Classic"... - 15/12/2009 10:25:47 PM   
elab49

See, I knew someone else would do all the work

quote:

(in reply to Neth)
Post #: 202
RE: Avatar - 15/12/2009 10:29:01 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: boove

Mods,

Any chance at all? 

That was my concern I'm afraid - anyone looking for an actual review in this thread will need a bleeding magnifying glass. Maybe we should alter the title to suggest those interested in actual reviews start around page 27

27? Are we feeling optimistic today?

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 203
RE: The Boy Who cried "Classic"... - 15/12/2009 10:37:17 PM   
fierce-hairdo

quote:

quote:

Uh-huh. So why, then, is EVERY SINGLE DVD REVIEW this issue (January 2010) credited to a different person than the original cinema reviews were? I checked - I'm that petty.

Look, I might be wrong, but when I search in the DVD reviews on the Empire website I get (what appears to be) the same review as the original release for:

Star Trek, Moon, Terminator Salvation, Public Enemies, The last Samurai, Inglourious Basterds... etc.

And I don't work for a film magazine. And I'm not really anti-empire exactly, I mean it has great coverage. Just too mainstream. I'll shut up now until I've seen the movie. I only came on here to agree with what someone else said... It's not just me y'know.

< Message edited by fierce-hairdo -- 15/12/2009 10:44:56 PM >

(in reply to Neth)
Post #: 204
RE: Avatar - 15/12/2009 11:17:02 PM   
Rinc

quote:

And I don't work for a film magazine. And I'm not really anti-empire exactly, I mean it has great coverage. Just too mainstream. I'll shut up now until I've seen the movie. I only came on here to agree with what someone else said... It's not just me y'know.

That's like buying a chocolate bar and complaining it has chocolate in it. Empire is a mainstream magazine and always has been so i really don't know how you can complain about that. If you think it's so mainstream that you have to complain about it don't buy it and instead, as suggested, buy Sight and Sound or other publications.

< Message edited by Rinc -- 15/12/2009 11:20:34 PM >

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:
[ color=#F1F1F1 ]text[ /color ]

Post #: 205
RE: 5 Stars? Chris Hewitt strikes again... - 16/12/2009 11:07:39 AM   
waltham1979

Personally I really like Indiana Jones and The Crystal Skull...what wrong thread??? but it all seems so familiar!!!

I just wish stuff like, I don't know, the slow & systemic CRATERING of this country could inspire the same call-to-arms as Batman casting
Post #: 206
RE: um, just - AMAZING. - 16/12/2009 12:23:14 PM   
Judge

Ok so is a four star film that becomes five in 3D - first of all Matrix Reloaded review anyone? What's wrong with saying it's a four star film but the technology is mindblowing? Rubbish review. Still can't wait for tomorrow though.

And if I watched a truly horrible one star film like Disaster Movie for example, but I watched it in 3D, would that automatically bump it up to two or more? No, because it would still be a horrible one star movie, you should review the film over the technology every time IMO.
Post #: 207
RE: Avatar - 16/12/2009 3:06:04 PM   
tonethestone

i know a few people who have seen this now and they all said it was an experience unlike any other they have experienced in a cinema, said all of them saying one of the best films they have ever seen, not just effects but storywise too. cant wait till Sunday to see it on IMAX in London!!!!

Nxt up.... The Descendants

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 208
RE: The Boy Who cried "Classic"... - 16/12/2009 5:50:52 PM   
Woger

quote:

quote:

quote:

Look, I might be wrong, but when I search in the DVD reviews on the Empire website I get (what appears to be) the same review as the original release for:

Star Trek, Moon, Terminator Salvation, Public Enemies, The last Samurai, Inglourious Basterds... etc.

You must have been devestated when Dylan went electric or when Hurricane 22's tune was on an ad for The Sun.

Eddie: "Weve been burgaled"
Richie: You may have been, but I have never in my life. As a christian I am so tightly clenched, oh you mean burgaled
- - -
There were originally five horsemen of the apocalypse. Jack Bauer said he would travel by foot

Post #: 209
RE: 5 Stars? Chris Hewitt strikes again... - 16/12/2009 6:28:54 PM   
homersimpson_esq

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jim Bob

....honestly, you'd have thought that after the Attack Of The Clones review debacle, our Chris might have dialed down the lunatic hyperbole a notch or two. But here we are again.

I call Hewitt's Law.

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.
Post #: 210
Page:   <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: The Boy Who cried "Classic"... Page: <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI