Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Avatar Review Page: <<   < prev  30 31 32 33 [34]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Avatar Review - 3/3/2012 10:32:50 PM   
the film man

It might be more impressive on a technical level than as a piece of storytelling, but Avatar reaffirms James Cameron's singular gift for imaginative, absorbing filmmaking.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 991
norgizfox

Even though the characters and plot get lost halfway through, you can't criticize James Cameron's epic tale of war, love, and adventure. Avatar brings a spectacular new world to our screens in a plethora of beautiful visuals and sound that is like nothing ever seen before. Thrilling and fun, Avatar is a film that takes you for an amazing ride.

Post #: 992
Great Technology, Average film - 7/11/2012 11:25:04 AM   
atom_band

Avatar's technology is magnificently realized. The 3D has depth, the sound editing, mixing and the special effects (on some level) are impressive.
There are a handful of Cameron's trademark thrilling action scenes but the rest I'm afraid is a routine (often silly) science fiction fantasy.
The new age quasi spiritual themes don't help either.

Post #: 993
toby skelton

James Cameron has made quite a devastatingly brilliant impact to the film industry over the past 30-odd years, with films including the first 2 Terminators (the good ones) and Aliens. But Avatar is something quite different. First things first, the graphics are amazing. Truly breathtaking and, of course, very good in 3-D. However, this appears to be the main thing on Cameron's mind throughout the film, with a script that, let's face it, is very predictable. The main let down of this film is, like Titanic, that it's just too long. Too long for it to be thoroughly entertaining, at any rate. If there were any unseen twists or surprises or just generally (sorry Cameron) a little bit of originality with it's overall plot then I may have enjoyed it a lot more than I did. Although it is very detailed, you can just see what's going to happen; and waiting roughly 3 hours to discover that you're right, just brings the whole film down a bit. I guess the overall hype of this film is another reason why I didn't enjoy it as much as I thought I would; perhaps my expectations were too high. As opposed to seeing it as one of the best films ever (as many have), I see Avatar as a new way to use graphics and 3-D to help the audience enjoy film in a new way. Overall, good performances, great graphics, but predictable script, and overly long. But apart from a few downsides. Avatar is still worth a watch.

Post #: 994
Worth re-visiting - 19/2/2013 6:50:45 PM   
tetro.retris.lvl4

I'd have to say that my first initial vewing of Avatar yielded a blah response; I neither loved it nor hated it. As a rule, while I appreciate "pretty" movies, I only keep the ones that I consider challenging in some way, or that possess depth. At first glance, Avatar was NOT either of these. But having re-watched it several times, and having found each time different things to appreciate about it with every layer that has been peeled back, I've decided that I rather love and appreciate this film. It takes some diging, but there are several themes present within this film; there are hints of spirituality, philosophy, self discoveries, as well as sociological plays on awareness of structures and forces. Granted, we've all seen this general story plot before, but wether or not these additional themes were intentional by Cameron, I found them, and that is my personal truth and is the reason why I found it to be worth more than just what its flashy graphics and hommage to sci-fi legends of old can contribute to Pop culture.

Post #: 995
Worth re-visiting - 19/2/2013 6:50:56 PM   
tetro.retris.lvl4

I'd have to say that my first initial vewing of Avatar yielded a blah response; I neither loved it nor hated it. As a rule, while I appreciate "pretty" movies, I only keep the ones that I consider challenging in some way, or that possess depth. At first glance, Avatar was NOT either of these. But having re-watched it several times, and having found each time different things to appreciate about it with every layer that has been peeled back, I've decided that I rather love and appreciate this film. It takes some diging, but there are several themes present within this film; there are hints of spirituality, philosophy, self discoveries, as well as sociological plays on awareness of structures and forces. Granted, we've all seen this general story plot before, but wether or not these additional themes were intentional by Cameron, I found them, and that is my personal truth and is the reason why I found it to be worth more than just what its flashy graphics and hommage to sci-fi legends of old can contribute to Pop culture.

Post #: 996
A technical masterpiece.But only a technical masterpiece. - 8/1/2014 10:42:34 AM   
Conor MacLennan

Everyone loved this film when it came out. Why? Because of the 3D and special effects, which still look excellent to this day (admittedly, it was only released four years ago.)
However, this is quite simply one of the most pretentious films I have ever seen. The story is essentially this; soldier man becomes blue man to blend with the native cosplayers of Pandora. Where sex is achieved through ponytail hair. He will do this with horses, dragon things and trees. And also some blue girl. Then he gets kicked out because he made their tree fall over. But then they suddenly like him again when he catches a legandary Pokemon. Then theres an action scene thing where the humans lose and soldier man stays with the natives. So remember, kids, recycle!

Also, this film catapulted the whole 3D fad.

Good CGI though.

Post #: 997
Page:   <<   < prev  30 31 32 33 [34]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Avatar Review Page: <<   < prev  30 31 32 33 [34]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI