Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: RE:

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: RE: Page: <<   < prev  30 31 32 [33] 34   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: RE: - 12/4/2010 2:33:44 PM   
kumar

I saw the last showing last week (unintentioanally caught it very late!) in 3D and it has grown on me since. My general verdict is "entertaining fluff". I didnt think much of the 3D to be honest and other films have done it better. It took me a good 25 minutes for my eyes to settle and I know ive sorted myself out quicker in other showings. Infact, the 3D was at its worst (and film most boring) when with the human characters, and i will say once in Pandora, the effects were great.
I think i was expecting the "in your face" tactic some of the other 3D films have used in the past- it wasnt used once in this film which was a bit odd i thought. The effects ranged from poor to very fucking good (hyena dog things). I thought the navi looked brilliant and most occasions looked pretty much real. Brilliant action with wild imagery and an environment I could only wish to see more of. I will say i was a bit caught in the romance side of it and I was a bit attracted to Neytiri by the end, especially when she is holding a vulnerable jake in her hands. Its the first time she has seen him like that and i thought her reaction would have been a little different considering he is not the strong leader type bloke that just dropped outside. Props to camerons team for sorting out the romance bit- it caught me by surprise did that.

I will say as others have that the story was predictable and retreaded. It was a by the numbers same shit different day kindof story which is very dissapointing and one of the reasons why i wasnt watching this with a smile throughout. That is my biggest problem really.

I thought the time flew by but as I said i wasnt too invested with the film, but i did get a bit giddy with the scene at the end. Its definately the "event" film since LOTR and if Cameron does decide to return (fingers crossed) then I would go back to watch a sequel- just make sure there is a bit of originality there , and not just with the effects.

As i said, entertaining fluff 3/5

"Darth Silas - I love Craig as Bond too. Genius. "- Jackmansgirl 15/7/2008

Last films watched:

The Road - 4/5
Chronicle - 4/5
Twilight Breaking Dawn p1 - 1/5
Warrior - 5/5
Super 8 - 5/5
Paranormal Activity 3 - 3/5
MI 4 - 2/5

(in reply to DaveTheStampede)
Post #: 961
RE: RE: - 12/4/2010 2:34:44 PM   
kumar

I saw the last showing last week (unintentioanally caught it very late!) in 3D and it has grown on me since. My general verdict is "entertaining fluff". I didnt think much of the 3D to be honest and other films have done it better. It took me a good 25 minutes for my eyes to settle and I know ive sorted myself out quicker in other showings. Infact, the 3D was at its worst (and film most boring) when with the human characters, and i will say once in Pandora, the effects were great.
I think i was expecting the "in your face" tactic some of the other 3D films have used in the past- it wasnt used once in this film which was a bit odd i thought. The effects ranged from poor to very fucking good (hyena dog things). I thought the navi looked brilliant and most occasions looked pretty much real. Brilliant action with wild imagery and an environment I could only wish to see more of. I will say i was a bit caught in the romance side of it and I was a bit attracted to Neytiri by the end, especially when she is holding a vulnerable jake in her hands. Its the first time she has seen him like that and i thought her reaction would have been a little different considering he is not the strong leader type bloke that just dropped outside. Props to camerons team for sorting out the romance bit- it caught me by surprise did that.

I will say as others have that the story was predictable and retreaded. It was a by the numbers same shit different day kindof story which is very dissapointing and one of the reasons why i wasnt watching this with a smile throughout. That is my biggest problem really.

I thought the time flew by but as I said i wasnt too invested with the film, but i did get a bit giddy with the scene at the end. Its definately the "event" film since LOTR and if Cameron does decide to return (fingers crossed) then I would go back to watch a sequel- just make sure there is a bit of originality there , and not just with the effects.

As i said, entertaining fluff 3/5

Last films watched:

The Road - 4/5
Chronicle - 4/5
Warrior - 5/5
Super 8 - 5/5
MI 4 - 2/5

(in reply to DaveTheStampede)
Post #: 962
RE: RE: - 19/4/2010 11:35:45 PM   
empire No. 1

its on dvd on 24th so we can all squirm as family and friends say "er... is that it!"

(in reply to kumar)
Post #: 963
RE: RE: - 19/4/2010 11:39:46 PM   
empire No. 1

its on dvd on the 24th, so we can all squirm as cinema dodgers say "errrr....is that it?"

(in reply to kumar)
Post #: 964
RE: Brilliant - 3/5/2010 3:30:49 PM   
kumar

I saw this again yesterday in IMAX and it was much better, My view of the story is the same but the 3D is so much better in IMAX. The sound is defeaning and the full screen lets you fully immerse yourself into Pandora. The design of the world is su fecking purb. I enjoyed it so much more than the first time.

IMAX at bradford is still showing it for a long time i think, so i would imagine its the same elsewhere- if you can go see it because it is ten times better!

Last films watched:

The Road - 4/5
Chronicle - 4/5
Warrior - 5/5
Super 8 - 5/5
MI 4 - 2/5
Post #: 965
RE: Brilliant - 4/5/2010 10:02:11 AM   
livewire

Great visuals but a lacking Story

needed More quaritch. what a badass

I`ve never had a message for anyone in my entire life. Except maybe to give out my room number" - Bonn Scott 1946 Ė 1980

Punchdrunk - 1981 - 2010

(in reply to kumar)
Post #: 966
RE: Hmm, five stars? - 6/5/2010 1:38:11 PM   
flushedgordon

quote:

ORIGINAL: luke_flyporker

Predictable rating - Not sure how a "flawed" film can get five stars lol.......

This film is hollow without the 3d thing, watch District 9 if you want to see a well written and well directed movie

(in reply to luke_flyporker)
Post #: 967
RE: Hmm, five stars? - 7/5/2010 10:05:20 AM   
gordonsalive

Went into the cinema in December with an open mind, watched the 3D version as the Mrs and I really wanted to see it as Cameron intended.  Have to say I was really blown away by it, yeah it had a few flaws story wise and Worthington didn't quite convince as the hero, but the 3d and specticle as a whole really dragged me in, and I can say with hand on heart that it was the greatest cinema experience since seeing Raiders of the lost Ark as a kid.

Bought the DVD last week and we both sat down in the evening to watch it. About 50 mins in something I just didn't expect to happen happened, I felt bored.  Knew it wouldn't have lived up to our cinema experience but without the immersion the 3D and large screen brought it just seemed, well, lacking.  The dialogue is stilted, the story is ploddy and Worthington's acting really was all over the shop, not once did I feel his Jake Sully could unite a race.

Don't think I have ever been so utterly dissapointed by a second viewing of a film.  The last film I watched and enjoyed at the cinema and then again on DVD was District 9 and that actually felt even better on our 32".

James Cameron may have changed the game 3D wise but by letting what could have been an exciting story take a back seat, hasn't unfortunatly created a film that can be viewed as a timless classic.

'You musn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling.'

(in reply to flushedgordon)
Post #: 968
RE: Hmm, five stars? - 7/5/2010 12:01:18 PM   
maffew

Watched this for the first time since going to the cinema.

I still thought it was quite good. I was more impressed with the way it was shot than the actual script or characters, but still - it's an impressive film, it stands up on the small screen. Although, the characters lack detail and look a bit more like computer game characters in a lower resolution, this is one worth watching on Blu Ray, I feel - they went to all that effort after all, it makes sense. Story wise it's still nothing we've not seen before, it's a hotch potch of different themes and stories but I don't really see this as a bad thing. Everything borrows from something else - it never claimed to reinvent the wheel thematically, it claimed to do it with regards to mo-cap and effects, and it succeeds with this. I liked it on the whole, I thought the world was amazingly realised, I just about cared for the Na'Vi, what's-her-name and Jake, I didn't want the baddies to win.. Everything was in it's place, it was just a bit bloated at times and could have done with bit less flying and a bit more character. But still enjoyable.

"Now i don't know much about security lighting, but i'm guessing they'll be using 180-degree dispersing halogens with motion sensors"

(in reply to gordonsalive)
Post #: 969
RE: Avatar - 8/5/2010 7:22:18 PM   
rich

Just watched the blu ray, it's better in 2D but still gets a totally average 3/5

Meanwhile...
Post #: 970
RE: Avatar - 9/5/2010 2:06:07 AM   
max314

A straightforward and satisfying blockbuster, but one that has a solid script that actually follows through on all its promises as opposed to the half-arsed Summer silliness we're used to.

Not wholly original or particularly mind-blowing, but good entertainment nonetheless.

3/5

MAX

Laying the 314 on your candy ass.

(in reply to rich)
Post #: 971
RE: - 16/5/2010 3:29:36 PM   
mystra

Really loved the film in the cinema, especially how the 3D just made you feel "there"...so i was worried that i had been bowled over by the effects etc and that when i watch on DVD it would be crapola.

Thank god i was wrong, still really love the film, looks great on blu-ray...didn't want a blu-ray player til i saw it in HMV...but i'll have to make do with the DVD on my shitty 100 year old TV. The downside to that is that it doesn't do the effects justice, but otherwise i love the story and characters and really enjoy the film, in fact i think it has become one of my favourites

My only qualm with the film in general is i don't think Cameron pushed the design of the Navi far enough.... i know they're a humanoid race... but they still look too human sometimes... the body is just a stretched out human body with a tail, not that they didn't look awesome but i think he should have pushed it further in the same way as the other creatures on the planet - basic traits we can recognise (horse/lemur etc) but still very much removed from those traits. I think i always felt the Navi being slightly feline looking needed to push more towards that....without looking like some crazed weirdo at a furry convention lol. I dunno...more claws and paws rather than human-like feet, would have made sense considering how athletic they are and all the climbing and jumping through the tree etc. Anyway i could go on about that forever!

Can't wait to see where the story goes next for Avatar 2.. seeing as under the sea has been mentioned it sounds very interesting!

Post #: 972
RE: Avatar - non 3D - 17/5/2010 1:33:21 AM   
BOHEMIANBOB

quote:

ORIGINAL: ClintJ

Avatar is one of those films where if you believe the hype, you might just be dissapointed. But go in with an open mind and you'll have a great time.
Visually it can't be beat - groundbreaking and possibly the best ever produced. But does it hold up as the great film you may be expecting? Well, sort of... the actors arn't at their best (Hollywood have seemingly decided that Sam Worthington is the next big thing surely based on looks only) but this isn't about the actors. The screenplay and story just isn't very interesting, infact we've seen this plot time and time again in various guises. But (and this is a big but) none of that matters when you look at the awesome positives. The visuals, the action, the pace of the movie. It's all flawless. And the HD transition makes this a must-have blu-ray (even if there are no special features).
Avatar is one of the best saturday night popcorn movies you'll find, but take away the hugely successful visuals and it's not the epic journey it's persieved to be.

No no no!
Let's brush off the cobwebs and call a spade a spade!
Beyond the fantastic cinema VISUAL experience,it is self-indulgent twaddle that i simply cannot believe anyone would buy to watch at home in 2D(or in Sam Worthington's case 1/2D).
No home cinema system will reciprocate this.
Avoid if you haven't already.

Misunderstood.
Don't care.
Have you seen my stolen signature?!
Post #: 973
RE: Christ - 30/11/2010 6:54:48 PM   
elab49

quote:

i have sent in loads of reviews saying how good avatar is and guess what? ...im doing it again.

No, you're not. Keep it to a single post and please stop refreshing - you're on the brink of breaking site rules on spamming.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome
Post #: 974
RE: Christ - 30/11/2010 8:34:36 PM   
Rgirvan44

I want to know why Avatarfan hates the movie so much? It wasn't that bad. 

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 975
RE: Christ - 30/11/2010 8:40:20 PM   
Deviation

Jake Sully was a bastard though. 

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 976
RE: Christ - 1/12/2010 10:57:47 AM   
pete_traynor

I initially fell for the spectacle of it on a 70ft IMAX screen but on subsequent viewings I now considering it to simply be an average sci/fi action film. Itís nowhere near as good as I initially thought it was (always been impressed with fireworks me ) and itís not a woeful as some claim. For me, it hovers somewhere about the 60% satisfaction level. I got the extended edition as I was genuinely interested in the making of docs, as I can never get enough of a decent making of. Popped the longest cut of the film on and popped it right back off again at about the hour mark. It just fails to resonate with me basically. Has a couple of nice touches though. Jake digging his toes into the mud with his new legs is a nice little subtle moment, one of the few. And I really like the introduction to Pandora on the drop ship ride down. And the first bioluminescent scene is also very nice.

But on the whole it is something of a wasted opportunity. As a tech demo, tip top! No argument from me on that. Weta, ILM and all concerned deserve all the credit they got. But as a film as a whole, it is rather lacking.

And this:

quote:

ORIGINAL: avatar fan

anyone who ridicules avatar obviously does not care about what the film stands for-(e.g. the destruction of the rainforest).

I wouldnít get too preachy on environmental issues off the back of a HUGE Hollywood event film. Last time I checked, Fox werenít selling Avatar DVDís and BDís in hemp sleeves! And Iím sure the carbon footprint left be flying all concerned, Business Class, all over the world to promote it would have been pretty hefty too. Itís hard to find grand soap boxes that arenít rife with contradictions. And this is no exception.

< Message edited by pete_traynor -- 1/12/2010 11:00:02 AM >

EXTREMELY LIMITED 1/1 FILM DIRECTOR HAND DRAWN ORIGINALS COMING SOON - http://lomierart.blogspot.co.uk/

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 977
RE: Avatar - 19/4/2011 3:20:42 PM   
TheGreenPlanet

quote:

ORIGINAL: R W

The reason I think Avatar is not as good as District 9 is because Cameron's film lacks the darkness and edginess of his previous work, while District 9 uses the cliches of western sci-fi and blends them with the harsh realities of South Africa. I'm sure people will draw comparisons between these two films, but you'll know which of these is my favourite sci-fi pic of the year.

Avatar is all flash and no substance, it's a visual treat worth seeing but the hype was not to last

(in reply to R W)
Post #: 978
RE: Avatar - 19/4/2011 3:21:55 PM   
TheGreenPlanet

District 9 was a much need improvement on Cameron's film

(in reply to R W)
Post #: 979
... - 28/4/2011 4:02:05 PM   
carpen7er

Make no mistake, I´m a fan of James Cameron movies. Specially The Terminator and Aliens. When he was accused of inserting a love story in a extra-terrestrial film, The Abyss, I forgave him. I liked the underwater action/drama. He did the same with the Titanic and I didn´t forgave him. With Avatar, he did it again ! Now he can take credit for the technology, but the film is as fake as the created digital world. It relies only on that. I didn´t watched on the theatre. I rented it. It was a waste of money. Not of time, because I only watched 30 minutes, and that was enough to understand everything ! Terrible performances with even terrible characters. Bad screenplay, full of clichés. I´ve seen this story over and over again ! Cameron doesn´t know how to write good stories anymore. He had better days with Rambo : First Blood part II. If Avatar is a great film, then Cyborg is the best movie ever made !

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 980
... - 28/4/2011 4:02:12 PM   
carpen7er

Make no mistake, I´m a fan of James Cameron movies. Specially The Terminator and Aliens. When he was accused of inserting a love story in a extra-terrestrial film, The Abyss, I forgave him. I liked the underwater action/drama. He did the same with the Titanic and I didn´t forgave him. With Avatar, he did it again ! Now he can take credit for the technology, but the film is as fake as the created digital world. It relies only on that. I didn´t watched on the theatre. I rented it. It was a waste of money. Not of time, because I only watched 30 minutes, and that was enough to understand everything ! Terrible performances with even terrible characters. Bad screenplay, full of clichés. I´ve seen this story over and over again ! Cameron doesn´t know how to write good stories anymore. He had better days with Rambo : First Blood part II. If Avatar is a great film, then Cyborg is the best movie ever made !

Post #: 981
Spectacular - 4/6/2011 2:58:33 PM   
the film man

Thank god James Cameron is back after so long, this film is just spectacular, brilliant special effects, amazing art direction, fantastic cinematography and in 3D you wont believe how fantastic it looks. And I have no idea what this retard has wrote underneath me.

Post #: 982
RE: Avatar - 5/7/2011 9:25:50 AM   
megatron_bee

I loved this movie! Didn't have the pleasure to enjoy it in 3D but it was amazing still :P
Great special effects and a pretty cool story eh, bit of a reminder of what we can and need to still for our planet to keep it alive.

:P

Post #: 983
Not 3D? Move on there is nothing to see - 11/7/2011 12:02:27 PM   
trainedasninja

I made the mistake when I saw this the first time by watching it in 2D and it was a tiresome and predictable science fiction film which barely scrapped 3 stars. However watching it in 3D it was visually brilliant and detailed which made it far more watchable. In fairness though, this is a pretty mask to hide the fact that without the 3D element this is as standard as they get - 3 stars

Post #: 984
It's a whole new world - 16/10/2011 12:26:00 AM   
Ciaran McDaid

Cameron had created a 3D future that sank the Titanic

Post #: 985
Dreadful, truly dreadful. - 8/1/2012 2:06:36 PM   
pablo94

Firstly Titanic was a masterpiece, so this is not pure hate James Cameron.
However, Avatar, is truly one of the worst film I have ever seen. Yes the 3D is spectacular (if seen in IMAX 3D) however the story is non existent, the acting is average and it far too long.
Seriously, if you've not seen this film, save your money and time, and go and watch Titanic again.

Post #: 986
- 22/1/2012 12:16:47 AM   
Milky16

This movie had a pro and a con. The pro would be the fact that the animation was fantastic. This movie was well indeed easy on the eyes. Avatar deserves credit for it's visual creativity. The con would be that the plot has been portrayed so many times, for instance this plot was extremely similar to Dances with wolves and many others. I believe this movie was only worth watching due to it's impressive work on animation.

Post #: 987
RE: - 9/2/2012 1:49:02 PM   
narmour

I

< Message edited by narmour -- 9/2/2012 1:51:29 PM >

(in reply to Milky16)
Post #: 988
RE: - 9/2/2012 1:50:17 PM   
narmour

I'm very amused reading back comments on various forums about Avatar 2 years on. "Game changing" and "this is the future of cinema" seem to be popular comments. I wonder if everyone who wrote these misguided comments are truly happy with the endless spew of mindless drivel which has jumped on the 3D bandwagon since Avatar. Yes, 2 years on, and 3D has become the new cliche.

As for the film itself, I had the (dubious) pleasure of watching it on a flight home at the weekend. Watched on a 10 inch screen with no 3D, the film had to rely on it's script, characters and plot to provide any entertainment. It failed miserably on all 3.

Zero stars.

(in reply to Milky16)
Post #: 989
Dances with Smurfs - 3/3/2012 7:20:03 AM   
Moosedog

watched Avatar for the first time last night.... 3 hours of my life I will never get back.... sorry, but just plain boring....even the action left me cold.... just one long special effect....and no amount of special effects can cover up how boring this is.

Post #: 990
Page:   <<   < prev  30 31 32 [33] 34   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: RE: Page: <<   < prev  30 31 32 [33] 34   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News††|††Empire Blog††|††Movie Reviews††|††Future Films††|††Features††|††Video Interviews††|††Image Gallery††|††Competitions††|††Forum††|††Magazine††|††Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI