Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Avatar again

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Avatar again Page: <<   < prev  30 31 [32] 33 34   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Avatar again - 16/2/2010 10:40:45 AM   
CORLEONE

Good film.

Al Swearengen: "Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back".

(in reply to musht)
Post #: 931
RE: Avatar again - 16/2/2010 2:00:15 PM   
blackduck

As a cinematic experience it was amazing, It really needs to be seen on the biggest 3D screen you can get. As a movie it's .....alright. The plot is solid if lacking even one songle plot device you won't see coming a mile away, and the nods towards Aliens are a bit uncomfortable as they suddenly remind you that JC has made far better movies. Now if he can stop pissing about and make a proper 18s movie like he used to  

I am but an egg.

(in reply to CORLEONE)
Post #: 932
Avatarse, more like - 18/2/2010 9:35:27 AM   
David Somerset

Sorry about this but I just became the last member of the human race to see Avatar. Here are my unsolicited, unwanted, unappreciated thoughts:

Inexplicably, shockingly, apocalyptically awful.

To take various awful elements and individually analyse their awfulness:

The story is awful. It feels like it was written in the 1980s and left on a dusty shelf in a broom cupboard for 25 years while the rest of cinema evolved and improved its storytelling to the point where this kind of formulaic claptrap would be laughed out of Hollywood if The King Of The World hadn't written it.

The script is awful. There's not an interesting, inspired line in its 162 minutes. The one-liners are as cheesy and flat as a Cheddar slice. I lost count of how many times a character appeared to be in mortal danger before predictably being rescued by another character, or by a herd of alien cows not seen since the first reel. By the time the hero delivered his rousing Braveheart speech I had my head in my hands, or I would have done if my 3D glasses hadn't got in the way.

The characters are awful. The bad guy is the kind of tediously one-dimensional villain not seen since '80s 'classics' like Commando. I couldn't have cared less about any of the main characters if they'd been played by Shia LaBeouf.

The music is awful. It's one thing to have all that jungle drums and wailing choirs nonsense but to have Leona Lewis squonking all over the credits is beyond a joke. I suppose it gets people out of the auditorium quickly so they can get on with the next fleecing - sorry, screening.

The 3D is awful. Actually it's not awful, in some places it's quite good, but it's either in-your-face and therefore distracting, or subtle and therefore pointless. Also after about 15 minutes I felt like James Cameron himself had been pressing his thumbs into my eyeballs.

I could go on, but even my Mum will have lost the will to live by now. Let me just say that for all Avatar's technical innovations, Cameron seems to have completely forgotten how to tell a good story. Either that or he thought a few 'Ooh's and 'Aah's would do in lieu of an interesting, witty, intelligent story. And judging by the $849 squintillion he's trousered so far, he was right.

(in reply to blackduck)
Post #: 933
RE: Avatarse, more like - 18/2/2010 4:39:53 PM   
hatebox

Only just watched it. The main problem is that you take the visuals for granted after half an hour anyway. No matter how magnificent they are, your brain adapts to it after a while. Then the lack of story and paper thin characters fails to maintain the interest.

I'd watch the sequel though.

(in reply to David Somerset)
Post #: 934
RE: Avatarse, more like - 18/2/2010 4:42:31 PM   
hatebox

Only just watched it. The main problem is that you take the visuals for granted after an hour anyway. No matter how magnificent they are, your brain adapts to it after a while. Then the lack of story and paper thin characters fails to maintain the interest.

I'd watch the sequel though.

< Message edited by hatebox -- 18/2/2010 4:52:14 PM >

Post #: 935
RE: Avatarse, more like - 18/2/2010 4:44:54 PM   
hatebox

double post

< Message edited by hatebox -- 18/2/2010 4:58:06 PM >

Post #: 936
RE: Avatarse, more like - 19/2/2010 11:33:02 AM   
Celluloid Seduction

A fantastic new documentary about Avatar role players has just been posted on Youtube. Don't know if you've seen it? I've linked it to my movie review blog - check it out - it's hilarious...

http://www.CelluloidSeduction.blogspot.com

Cheers!

"...guys, what if the film isn't any good?"

http://www.CelluloidSeduction.blogspot.com

(in reply to hatebox)
Post #: 937
RE: Over-rated - 21/2/2010 4:53:15 PM   
Keyser Sozzled

quote:

Worst of all, I do not think that this is the best 3D film I have seen. That is A Christmas Carol which this magazine deems only worthy of three stars! Figure that one out!

So Empire has to agree with you and only you?

I have no idea who any of them are, apart from Terry Pratchett who I know has got a beard and keeps going on about killing himself but never does.
Post #: 938
RE: Over-rated - 21/2/2010 4:54:35 PM   
Keyser Sozzled

quote:

Worst of all, I do not think that this is the best 3D film I have seen. That is A Christmas Carol which this magazine deems only worthy of three stars! Figure that one out!

So Empire has to agree with you and only you?

I have no idea who any of them are, apart from Terry Pratchett who I know has got a beard and keeps going on about killing himself but never does.
Post #: 939
RE: Over-rated - 23/2/2010 7:45:40 AM   
jonson

Well, I was expecting to be underwhelmed despite being too busy to see the hype or any trailer of such, but I wasn't. Apart from the usual critisism (which seems to be stretching back a few pages) regarding the shit storyline and average acting (apart from the young girl Neytiri - brilliant IMO) the whole experience for me was amazing. I don't often leave the cinema wanting to see something again but I would happily sit and watch that again in 3D.
I'll ignore the film/plotline and attempts at humour and just marvel in Cameron's ability to not just push the boundaries, but beat them back with a shitty stick.
After witnessing CGI stalemate since the first Lord of the Rings film, finally someone has decided to take it to the next stage instead of cashing in on a tired and lazy looking way (Sam Raimi/Peter Jackson) of making films.

< Message edited by jonson -- 23/2/2010 7:46:45 AM >

I've got all the Barbie ones!!!

Yeah but you're old. Really old. Old. Old. Old. Old.

(in reply to Keyser Sozzled)
Post #: 940
RE: Avatarse, more like - 23/2/2010 1:33:47 PM   
TheHazman

David I feel the need to reply to your post. Now evryone is entitled to there opinion, but saying that avatar is awful is quite simply, wrong. What ever you want to say about the plot (I personally just thought it was some nice old fashioned story telling) the cinema expience and what this film have done for effects, earns it 5 stars straight off the bat. The way this looks, the 3d, basically everything about it has jumped foward about 10 years in terms of anything else thats out there and that is very important. In 50 years time this will be seen as a landmark in cinema. So yes you can critisise the story, or even some of the acting but as a cinema experince, I have certainly seen nothing like it......

Post #: 941
RE: Avatarse, more like - 23/2/2010 1:38:21 PM   
Rgirvan44

I dunno, so many dismissing complaints about the story and script and saying its all about the experience - does Avatar sit on that line between being a film, and a literal rollercoaster ride? You won't get any story in Nemesis at Alton Towers, but by goodness it is an experience.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to TheHazman)
Post #: 942
RE: Avatarse, more like - 23/2/2010 2:06:12 PM   
grucl

The thread so far:

No, it isn't!
Yes, it is!
No, it isn't!
Yes, it is!
No, it isn't!
Yes, it is!
Na ahhh!
A haaa!
Na ahhh!
A haaa!

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 943
RE: Avatarse, more like - 26/2/2010 11:08:06 AM   
jedi fu

meh . . .

Ok - First draft script. Final draft visuals. Great to experience on HUGE screen but . .  why so basic?

Hope he delivers for battle angel.

(in reply to grucl)
Post #: 944
RE: Avatar is an Elephantine Heap of Excrement - 28/2/2010 11:28:22 AM   
Sotto Voce

Is that Rowan Atkinson Na'vi actually in the film?

All things digested have a similar hue.
Post #: 945
RE: Avatar is an Elephantine Heap of Excrement - 28/2/2010 7:39:42 PM   
SpiderBat

Excellent article man, totally agreed. I usually don't hate movies just for being crap, but Avatar really scrapes the barrel for a lot of reasons.  
Post #: 946
RE: Avatar is an Elephantine Heap of Excrement - 28/2/2010 7:40:53 PM   
SpiderBat

Excellent article man, totally agreed.
Post #: 947
RE: Avatar is an Elephantine Heap of Excrement - 1/3/2010 10:46:29 AM   
grucl

quote:

ORIGINAL: christopher.carr1984@gmail.com
read more: http://www.theinductive.com/culture/2010/2/12/avatar-is-an-elephantine-heap-of-excrement.html

quote:

Speilberg and Lucas represent the two poles of thought on this subject.  I have to side with Speilberg: no matter how many pixels, no matter how high the resolution, or even if one uses stereoscopic cameras, as in Avatar, no director will ever be capable of perfectly matching the lighting and textures of scenery with that of deus ex machina CGI. 

You are aware that Spielberg is doing Tintin at the moment which will be all CGI (using Cameron's camera system)?
Post #: 948
RE: Avatar is an Elephantine Heap of Excrement - 1/3/2010 12:37:53 PM   
Deviation

The more I am reminded of Tintin and the technology being used the more depressed I become.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to grucl)
Post #: 949
RE: Avatar is an Elephantine Heap of Excrement - 1/3/2010 2:06:30 PM   
Rgirvan44

I doubt Tintin will be going for photorealism in character design so that should be a plus.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 950
Gladstone

I have a nostalgic affection for James Cameron’s 80’s output. The Terminator, Aliens and The Abyss have long been amongst my favourite films of the sci-fi genre. I was not impressed by his nineties output. True Lies was more like ‘False Promises’ and Titanic was a poor man’s Moby Dick. A bit like listening to Chris Rea when Mark Knopfler’s just next door.

Still, Avatar showed signs of promise. The trailers looked good and I was becoming interested in the new 3D technology. My girlfriend and I had gone to see A Christmas Carol a month ago and loved that film. Some of the 3D sequences in that were breathtaking. Previous to that, the last 3D film I had seen was Jaws 3D back in 1984, which still used the red/blue paper glasses technology. These days the visors you get wouldn’t look out of place in the Mos Eisley cantina.

So the lights dim, we sit back clutching our tubes of Swiss milk chocolate buttons and the film begins. Within twenty minutes the main character, Jake Sully, has inhabited his ‘Avatar’ and is exploring the moon of Pandora. Pandora is a richly detailed, lush world of bright green, blue, red and purple vegetation which lends itself fully to 3D technology. Tiny aliens that look like dandelion seeds blow in and out of shot, appearing to float an inch from our faces and dirt thrown up by the bare souls of the Avatars as they run across the forest floor is thrown up out of the screen and into the auditorium. Initially, even the 3D effect of a person’s face in close up was fascinating to see and every single pimple, folicule and scar rotated in a beautifully realised 3D world.
However, the film is two hours and forty minutes long and after roughly an hour the novelty of 3D began to wane. In fact, towards the end I had to pinch myself into remembering this was a 3D film. Whether my eyes got used to the effect and began to compensate for it, I don’t know, but the 3D seemed to lose its impact and there were fewer scenes that utilised it effectively by the second half of the film.

Which leaves us with the story.

The Na’vi are the natives of Pandora. Humans want to mine Pandora. The Na’vi object. There is a war between the humans and the Na’vi.

That is the story in a nutshell. However, it is fleshed out by giving the Na’vi a mythology comprising of numerous deities, gods and rituals. If some thought were given to this, say for example, thirteen years of thought (which coincidentally is the time that Tolkien took to write Lord Of The Rings, a book which includes a rich, detailed mythology too) then maybe the Na’vi and their plight would have some weight and we would feel for them. As it is, the parallels with modern day concerns about our ecology have been drawn with such broad brush strokes that you end up not giving a toss about the Na’vi and start wishing you could maybe deep fry them in batter and have them in a tortilla with a bit of hot salsa.

The idea of Gaia was a wonderful science fiction idea that appeared in the 1979 book ‘Gaia: A new look at life on Earth’ by James Lovelock and had some cultural impact throughout the eighties. This idea has been used in the film in a greatly watered down version that has no depth or feeling to it. The Na’vi believe that all their trees are spiritually interconnected via their root system. That is a throwaway line given by one character to another and not pursued at all to give it any meaning. Like all ideas in the film really. Which neatly brings me to the dialogue itself. The dialogue – and there is plenty of it – seems to have been written for readers of The Sun. Characters speak in short staccato sentences, mainly to deliver a piece of information solely for the purposes of furthering the plot. Sometimes a question is asked by Jake Sully only for another character to sit down, light a pipe and take ten minutes to congratulate Jake on asking such a wonderful question as now all the viewers will understand a bit more of what is going on.

The climatic battle scene *is* well choregraphed however and for action fans there is plenty of eye candy on show. But we all knew James Cameron could do that – we were just expecting so much more from him after his thirteen year hiatus after the overwhelming success of Titanic.

More like Shitavar.
Post #: 951
RE: - 16/3/2010 7:20:28 PM   
TheSpleen

For me it was a three star flick. Yeah it looked pretty great but as fro that world we were meant to be transported to, every time Sam Worthington opens his mouth i'm dumped right back into my seat in the cinema. He just constantly reminded me it was a film as did the dialogue. If he really had the idea in his head for so long he had ages to come up with a decent script. I'm glad so many people loved it but i have no wish to buy the DVD or see any of the rumoured sequels.
Post #: 952
RE: - 16/3/2010 7:27:27 PM   
TheSpleen

Could't get into this film at all. The whole deal of being transported to another world can't apply to any film with Sam Worthington. He just reminded me constantly it's not another world, it's a blue guy acting badly. The dialogue was really bad, if he's had this idea for so long how about some time wroking on a good script? I'm glad it resonated with alot of people, good for them. Personally i have no desire to watch it ever again. A two star film, three at the very most.
Post #: 953
RE: RE: - 17/3/2010 9:58:38 PM   
max314

I won't be in a rush to buy it on DVD, but it was good fun.

MAX

Laying the 314 on your candy ass.

(in reply to TheSpleen)
Post #: 954
RE: Avatar - 18/3/2010 6:05:00 AM   
sarkark21

Avatar is awesome movie & animation is unbelievable. 

http://indian-bollywood-masala.blogspot.com/

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 955
RE: Avatar - 18/3/2010 10:35:42 AM   
film man aidy

Okay, it's not rocket science, but I found it one of the best cinematic experiences I've had in a long time. Entertaining on a massive scale, so much so, I saw it twice like many people. Second time round, popped my Imax cherry, and  it really blew me away. Definately worth the extra few quid. More please Mr Cameron...

(in reply to sarkark21)
Post #: 956
RE: Camerons back - 26/3/2010 9:47:34 PM   
RowJ

having given Avatar time to settle and the bizz to pass, it turns out to be forgetable
Post #: 957
RE: Oddly Moving - 1/4/2010 8:51:55 PM   
SudrabaLapsa

Personally, I genuinely enjoyed Avatar and was moved by it (Yes, I cried -_-). And despite all the slating reviews kicking around about it being disappointing in terms of acting and storyline, I was convinced and satisfied with everything I saw. I will be buying it on DVD as it was an experiece I would like to enjoy again and again.

Sometimes I wonder who I am; I wonder why on earth I'm wrapped in so many layers all designed to please anyone but myself. I consider stripping down to myself; but then am I not open to attack? No, it's too dangerous. Therefore I am religiously cloaked.
Post #: 958
RE: Oddly Moving - 2/4/2010 8:40:00 PM   
hampstead bandit

I can watch the first 25 minutes again, and again, and again

its a window of what the entire film *could have been*

Avatar is not a bad film, I just don't have any feeling for the blue cat people!

I have still pre-ordered it on Blu-Ray, so I can watch the first 25 minutes, and some of the final battle scenes, at my leisure!

(in reply to SudrabaLapsa)
Post #: 959
RE: Oddly Moving - 4/4/2010 5:54:45 PM   
Wilbert

Great Avatar video review

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJarz7BYnHA&feature=related

You're killing Independent George!!!!

(in reply to hampstead bandit)
Post #: 960
Page:   <<   < prev  30 31 [32] 33 34   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Avatar again Page: <<   < prev  30 31 [32] 33 34   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI