Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: RE:

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: RE: Page: <<   < prev  29 30 [31] 32 33   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: RE: - 26/1/2010 11:25:08 PM   
elfzooey

Nothing spectacular that lit me up in all honesty. The only thing that seperates Avatar as to other 3d films was that it didn't poke you in the face. Technially it was interesting but storywise it's been patched up and seemingly lazy, for me to be immersed in a film the story has to be up there with the technial aspects.

Overall I ain't really buying into this whole 3d thing,  for the technology of a film to be interesting  it has to tell me something about the story. At the end of the day if the story is not good enough no matter how realistic the outset may look were never gonna be so called in this matrix. Cameron seems to just want a massive war between the Na'vi and the humans at the end, not that it's a bad thing as I do love a great battle scene but that's all he is offering, the rest of the film feels as if it's just there to make us feel better about ourselves.

"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always give what you've always had"

(in reply to lbiu)
Post #: 901
RE: AVATAR THE TRUTH - 26/1/2010 11:27:13 PM   
elfzooey

Nothing spectacular that lit me up in all honesty. The only thing that seperates Avatar as to other 3d films was that it didn't poke you in the face. Technially it was interesting but storywise it's been patched up and seemingly lazy, for me to be immersed in a film the story has to be up there with the technial aspects.

Overall I ain't really buying into this whole 3d thing,  for the technology of a film to be interesting  it has to tell me something about the story. At the end of the day if the story is not good enough no matter how realistic the outset may look were never gonna be so called in this matrix. Cameron seems to just want a massive war between the Na'vi and the humans at the end, not that it's a bad thing as I do love a great battle scene but that's all he is offering, the rest of the film feels as if it's just there to make us feel better about ourselves.

"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always give what you've always had"
Post #: 902
RE: AVATAR THE TRUTH - 26/1/2010 11:29:08 PM   
elfzooey

Post #: 903
RE: THE AVATAR EXPERIENCE - 31/1/2010 1:55:19 PM   
Ryan_D_Bell

quote:

ORIGINAL: fregggga

Avatar is to today's special effects what Star Wars was to 1977 special effects. This visual masterpiece could only come from a perfectionist like James Cameron. The world he creates is truly beyond imagination. Seeing this movie in 3-D is highly recommended to fully immerse yourself into the "Avatar Experience".

That is a bold statement...and probably a little untrue. Star Wars 1977, when the Star Destroyer first passes overhead, still holds the title of most 'jaw-dropping effect on the audience' (although released today no one would notice) for it's time SW's effects impacted more on the cinema public than Avatar can ever hope to do.

But, I do agree that Avatar's effects are fantastic. Am I alone in wishing they were developed and used for another Cameron movie?
Post #: 904
RE: overrated - 1/2/2010 4:41:20 PM   
Tank Boy

Looks astonishing, but the script is dumb, dumb, dumb.

Chuck's Culture Carnival!
Post #: 905
RE: overrated - 1/2/2010 4:41:55 PM   
Tank Boy

Looks astonishing, but the script is dumb, dumb, dumb.

Chuck's Culture Carnival!
Post #: 906
RE: overrated - 1/2/2010 7:56:58 PM   
hampstead bandit

the problem with the "3D" is that its not really three-dimensional?

its a "scam", its a 2D screen, and relying on tricking the brain into a 3D effect - many people that have seen recent "3D" films have mentioned the 'cardboard cutout' problem when you seem to have flat layers within the 3D scene

this takes me back to "virtual reality" in the games arcades (a company called 'Virtuality' who had machines installed in key locations like the London Trocadero) in the early 1990s  - an amazingly convincing experience using an enclosed, stereoscopic headset (like a night vision goggle) and the best processing power available back then

I've been waiting ever since for VR to appear on the games machines (X Box 360, PS3, etc.) no matter how good the "graphics" got with subsequent graphic card and processor upgrade on my PC, its all still "2D" on a computer monitor

until "3D" is truly 3D - in other words a hologram projection you can see around, I would rather watch the movies in 2D - I saw Avatar first in 3D and then in 2D and actually enjoyed the better PQ and contrast of the 2D avatar film

< Message edited by hampstead bandit -- 1/2/2010 7:59:40 PM >

(in reply to Tank Boy)
Post #: 907
RE: overrated - 2/2/2010 10:06:07 PM   
sportbilly71

Ive waited 40 odd pages and cannot hold my tongue any longer. This is a truly impressive movie. It is an event movie that delivers. The effects are the best ever placed on screen. Ground breaking. Incredible. Not to find it visually spectacular - well, I feel utter disbelief (did you have your glasses on?). The script. The battle for valuable resources at a cost of innocent lives. Shakespeare - NO Topical, relevant - YES. This is not a film to challenge your interlect - it is pure cinematic enjoyment. Some of you need to get your head out of your arse and have some fun (unless head up the arse fun is your bag - then carry on).

(in reply to hampstead bandit)
Post #: 908
RE: overrated - 3/2/2010 7:38:45 PM   
target

I like this little Lego video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n55gvskwpoI

We're not retreating we're advancing in another direction

Thanks for the AV darthbane.
Post #: 909
RE: Avatar - 4/2/2010 1:37:53 AM   
emertom

Good film, it had now beaten Titanic as the top grossing movie of all time, and I contributed to that!! 

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 910
RE: Avatar - 4/2/2010 1:18:29 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

ORIGINAL: emertom

Good film, it had now beaten Titanic as the top grossing movie of all time, and I contributed to that!! 

Congratulations!

(in reply to emertom)
Post #: 911
RE: Avatar - 4/2/2010 1:25:34 PM   
The REAL Bozz

check it out www.comingsoon.net

the dvd/blue ray won't be in 3D due to the technology at home being there yet. Just the standard 2D version although they have said a future 3D release may come some time down the line. 

Films I've watched
Star Trek Into Darkness ***
Iron Man 3 *****
Evil Dead (2013) ***
Bait 3D ***

(in reply to adambatman82)
Post #: 912
RE: Avatar - 4/2/2010 1:52:48 PM   
rich

You need yet another new TV aswell to get 3D at home.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJarz7BYnHA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLzKwTcGO_0

Meanwhile...

(in reply to The REAL Bozz)
Post #: 913
RE: Avatar - 5/2/2010 7:46:07 AM   
tusse67

I always liked Dances With Wolves.. And I always liked SF. DWW on a distant world? Whats not to like? I might be an unintellectual sod, but I liked it without reservations. A good indication of how well I liked it was my bladder... If Im not immensed in a movie it will, without exception, remind me to get rid of its content halfway during the movie... It was completely dorment all the way throught.

BTW! Why does a story have to be complex to be good? The usual plots of Shakespeare, by many considered the greatest writer ever, was pretty simple. The Seven Samurais and The Samurai were pretty basic also.
I for one does not rate movies and books based on their complexity... But on how well they involve me.
I suspect that someone here dislike Avatar blatantly because they fear being considered simpletons in terms of movietaste if they admit they like it (of course I might be wrong there) ... But if liking Avatar make me a simpleton, so be it.  

(in reply to rich)
Post #: 914
RE: Avatar - 6/2/2010 9:25:00 AM   
Drone

Well... I went to see this at the IMAX last night, 3D, I had the gallery seats and I was DEAD centre on the screen.

The employee who had drawn the short straw for the night came out and gave us a pep talk, and has us all cheering for IMAX like a pantomime.

The trailers begun, and the Cheshire Cat from the Alice... trailer came busting out of the screen and we all ooooh'd and aaaaaah'd.

Sadly, that was pretty much it.  Aside from a few momnents where the 3D kicked in (Jake in the jungle for the first time, when he moves his gun across the screen, for example) it was an absolute dud.  The picture quality was outstanding; the best I've ever seen at the cinema.  The visual effects were stunning, and Pandora was a helluva sight.

But guys, the story... sucked.  Avatar is riddled with every cliche imaginable.  Avatar is high fantasy by somebody who fancies themselves a fan of high fantasy, but isn't.

Had 3D already been the norm; an established format and IMAX was the standard in terms of pictre quality, we'd all be berating James Cameron for churning out a razzie.

I will admit I got caught up in all the hype, and maybe I didn't enjoy it as much as I should have because it didn't live up to my expectations, but Avatar for me was a monumental disapppointment.  I just felt like I'd seen it all before.

(in reply to tusse67)
Post #: 915
RE: Most overrated movie since Gladiator - 7/2/2010 8:35:28 PM   
hampstead bandit

check this out:

VERY funny

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJarz7BYnHA&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLzKwTcGO_0&feature=related
Post #: 916
RE: Most overrated movie since Gladiator - 8/2/2010 7:50:27 AM   
Keyser Sozzled

I watched it last night finally.

Probably very little to be said that has not alread been said.

I enjoyed it. It's a popcorn movie, albeit one in which very little happens for an hour or so. But you know what?..I didn't care. I though Pandora was brilliantly realised and at times my jaw was on the floor.

In terms of story, narrative arc & internal logic it was all over the place

Story:

"I have learned your ways and now I want to get my shizzle on with a blue chick, let's all defend our land in this blunt Iraq/Afganhistanm allegory"

Narrative Arc:

"Nothing, nothing nothing, BIIIIG fuck off battle, some funky dancing around a tree"

"Internal logic"...SPOILERS******

So they decide mid way through that they can go all Neo/Matrix on it and put someone in an Avatra for good?......So they have obviusly done this before yeah?...I mean despite it being something of a new program and the Avatar's being really expensive?....This issue came up? Hmmmm

Also, the whole "bond" with the flying bird thing, You only get one for life, then Jake decides, fuck it I'm having the big red fella as well?

Despite the obvious flaws (btw how did Cameron goe from lean, mean, fat & filler free movies to overblown blunt "epic's" such as Shitenic and this?) I was gripped, I really enjoyed it.

I have no idea who any of them are, apart from Terry Pratchett who I know has got a beard and keeps going on about killing himself but never does.

Post #: 917
RE: Most overrated movie since Gladiator - 8/2/2010 7:51:09 AM   
Keyser Sozzled

I watched it last night finally.

Probably very little to be said that has not alread been said.

I enjoyed it. It's a popcorn movie, albeit one in which very little happens for an hour or so. But you know what?..I didn't care. I though Pandora was brilliantly realised and at times my jaw was on the floor.

In terms of story, narrative arc & internal logic it was all over the place

Story:

"I have learned your ways and now I want to get my shizzle on with a blue chick, let's all defend our land in this blunt Iraq/Afganhistanm allegory"

Narrative Arc:

"Nothing, nothing nothing, BIIIIG fuck off battle, some funky dancing around a tree"

"Internal logic"...SPOILERS******

So they decide mid way through that they can go all Neo/Matrix on it and put someone in an Avatra for good?......So they have obviusly done this before yeah?...I mean despite it being something of a new program and the Avatar's being really expensive?....This issue came up? Hmmmm

Also, the whole "bond" with the flying bird thing, You only get one for life, then Jake decides, fuck it I'm having the big red fella as well?

Despite the obvious flaws (btw how did Cameron goe from lean, mean, fat & filler free movies to overblown blunt "epic's" such as Shitenic and this?) I was gripped, I really enjoyed it.

I have no idea who any of them are, apart from Terry Pratchett who I know has got a beard and keeps going on about killing himself but never does.

Post #: 918
RE: Most overrated movie since Gladiator - 8/2/2010 11:47:30 AM   
grucl

Guy sent in to help relocate a tribe of aliens
Guy swaps sides and helps the aliens fight against the relocation
Guy ends up permanently bound to an alien body
Someone drives a mecha-suit
Film has a an in-your-face moral message

Why do so many people hate the story of Avatar and yet hail District 9's story as a triumph in modern sci-fi?

(in reply to Keyser Sozzled)
Post #: 919
RE: Most overrated movie since Gladiator - 8/2/2010 11:48:06 AM   
grucl

Grrr, double post...

< Message edited by grucl -- 8/2/2010 11:49:02 AM >

Post #: 920
RE: Most overrated movie since Gladiator - 8/2/2010 12:00:46 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

ORIGINAL: grucl

Why do so many people hate the story of Avatar and yet hail District 9's story as a triumph in modern sci-fi?

Wilkus isn't sent in covertly  - he is expliciatly moving aliens, and killing alien children.
Wilkus doesn't swap sides to fight the relocation. The aliens are all moved to District 10. He swaps sides because the humans are hunting him down.
His body isn't changed forever. That is the whole point of the final third of the movie.
District 9 mecha suit >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Avatar suit.
What is the in your face moral message of District 9?

What District 9 accomplished was giving us a character who was complex, funny and downright horrible all at the same time, but someone we felt deeply sorry for at times. It also had moments of comedy, and some teriffic action.

Is it the deepest film ever made? Nope, but where Avatar stumbled, District 9 didn't. Just because you can draw comparisons between the two doesn't mean that they are the same film.  

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to grucl)
Post #: 921
RE: Most overrated movie since Gladiator - 8/2/2010 12:10:34 PM   
DaveTheStampede

quote:

ORIGINAL: grucl

Because

1) District 9 was told in a far more interesting manner that wasn't solely reliant on making the audience go "Oooooh!  Pretty!".  Plus, Copley's performance was brilliant (kicks pretty much every performance in Avatar into oblivion, quite frankly)

2) You sympathise/empathise with the Prawns, despite them being a bunch of ugly mo-fo's.  I can't say the same for the Na'Vi

and

3) The mecha suit action in District 9 was close to concentrated visceral awesome-sauce.  The mecha suit action in Avatar was less visceral, less interesting, and generally less entertaining.

Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two make four.
If that is granted, all else follows

(in reply to grucl)
Post #: 922
RE: - 8/2/2010 5:35:23 PM   
joethill

I just wanted to make a comment to all the people that are hating Avatar for the storyline/script etc.

I agree, sure it's not got a fantastic script but everyone has to acknowledge the advancement in effects and technology it has clearly displayed!

For that very fact, in my opinion, it makes it a five star movie and worthy of all the awards it has won already, and will very likely continue to win.

As for the script, obviously it's not going to be winning any awards in that department, but it is suitably adequate for the film and doesn't clog up a fantastic viewing experience with heavy dialogue!

Film has always been predominantly for entertainment and yes, also for art. Of course, you get fantastic films which are purely done as art, but the very best are those that entertain also and I believe Avatar does this with its mind-blowing visual artistry yet also light-hearted and entertaining approach.

:)

Last film watched - Up 10/10
Post #: 923
RE: RE: - 8/2/2010 6:48:35 PM   
hampstead bandit

I agree, sure it's not got a fantastic script but everyone has to acknowledge the advancement in effects and technology it has clearly displayed!

the advancement is important, but if the story is weak, and the characters somewhat hollow, it does not have real impact

the best analogy I can give is the advancement in computer gaming graphics?

I've been playing computer games since the 1970s and have had pretty much every computer system, games console and graphics card upgrade on the PC

the games have gotten prettier, and the Worlds more immersive, but I have been less than satisfied with the stories I am being told, and the characters in these Worlds

to create a modern computer game is such a huge effort in terms of the technical, that the story itself often takes a backseat

this is what Avatar felt like - a HUGE and impressive technical effort, but the story took second place

as with the computer games, wow the initial "WOW!" factor wears off (which it does very quickly, given human nature), you are not left with a reason to continue playing, and indeed I have lost interest in alot of modern games for this reason

with Avatar, its entertaining, and you are not going to walk out of a cinema if you've paid 3d prices for your tickets...

the rarity in the games world is a game that incorporates the WOW and the story, and that is pure gold

< Message edited by hampstead bandit -- 8/2/2010 6:49:32 PM >

(in reply to joethill)
Post #: 924
RE: Not that good to be honest - 9/2/2010 7:54:37 AM   
Keyser Sozzled

quote:

Lets be honest, the only good thing is the 3D effect and nothing else. The only reason people think it is good is because the 3D effects are amazing. HOWEVER! the rest of the film is rubbish, the plot is pointless, the acting for such a big film was poor and so it is probably THE most exaggerated film review ever!

Well, no. Sam Worthington is decent, accent is a bit wobbly, Giovani Ribisi is perfectly fine as is Michelle Rodreguiz (sp) and Zoe Saldana gives an excellent performance. The plot is not pointless, underdeveloped and fairly rudimentry but not pointless (if anything its a little too pointed).

The review was over the top, but to be honest I can see why. It is a fantastic experience and on first viewing if you go waiting to see if Cameron can deliver it's pretty easy to get caught up in things, but you know what it's review...no need for the Chillcott enquiry.

Post #: 925
RE: Not that good to be honest - 9/2/2010 7:55:20 AM   
Keyser Sozzled

quote:

Lets be honest, the only good thing is the 3D effect and nothing else. The only reason people think it is good is because the 3D effects are amazing. HOWEVER! the rest of the film is rubbish, the plot is pointless, the acting for such a big film was poor and so it is probably THE most exaggerated film review ever!

Well, no. Sam Worthington is decent, accent is a bit wobbly, Giovani Ribisi is perfectly fine as is Michelle Rodreguiz (sp) and Zoe Saldana gives an excellent performance. The plot is not pointless, underdeveloped and fairly rudimentry but not pointless (if anything its a little too pointed).

The review was over the top, but to be honest I can see why. It is a fantastic experience and on first viewing if you go waiting to see if Cameron can deliver it's pretty easy to get caught up in things, but you know what it's review...no need for the Chillcott enquiry.

Post #: 926
RE: Not that good to be honest - 9/2/2010 3:46:20 PM   
wahmeiman

AWESOME FILM!!!!!

Post #: 927
RE: Not that good to be honest - 9/2/2010 3:46:57 PM   
wahmeiman

AWESOME FILM!!!!!

Post #: 928
RE: Not that good to be honest - 9/2/2010 8:02:13 PM   
Celluloid Seduction

I agree, except that the 3D effect was pretty useless .... I hated the movie, find out why at...

www.CelluloidSeduction.blogspot.com

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cheukyboy715

"...guys, what if the film isn't any good?"

http://www.CelluloidSeduction.blogspot.com
Post #: 929
RE: Avatar again - 16/2/2010 10:39:15 AM   
musht

This is just flat out a bad film, bad story, bad script, not great acting, and way too long and a bad film is a bad film no matter what it looks like. The visuals are class in both spider-man 3 and the second transformers but i don't see empire giving them an extra star for it, they didn't give Up an extra star for it's 3Dness and its a much better film. I'm never going to a 3D film again cause it's just a gimmick for more money
It's not even proper 3D, you wouldn't call a pop-up book 3D would you!?

"SAVE ME, BARRY!!"

"What the hell are Regionals!?"

"color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color"
Post #: 930
Page:   <<   < prev  29 30 [31] 32 33   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: RE: Page: <<   < prev  29 30 [31] 32 33   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI