Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: English words

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: English words Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: English words - 11/12/2009 12:29:20 PM   
tftrman

quote:

ORIGINAL: shool

quote:

ORIGINAL: gavmeister

sense away, but sandbox is an American word, the correct English equivalent is sandpit. Empire is an English magazine. Comprende?

what if the sand is kept in a box and not in a pit?

Don't annoy the literary genius who starts every sentence in lower case Shool!

(in reply to shool)
Post #: 61
RE: English words - 11/12/2009 12:30:07 PM   
DJ Rob C: Mark II!

Predictable? Yes 

I personally don't give a hoot what anyone says... I can't bloody wait... I went to Avatar Day back in August and told some news guy with a camera exactly what I thought... it looks terrific... and Empire's 5*star seal of approval only gets me more excited, bring it on!

When Gotham is ashes, you have my permission to die

Third Highest Post Count on the Forum, sad but proud!

(in reply to shool)
Post #: 62
RE: English words - 11/12/2009 12:33:03 PM   
shool

quote:

ORIGINAL: tftrman

quote:

ORIGINAL: shool

quote:

sense away, but sandbox is an American word, the correct English equivalent is sandpit. Empire is an English magazine. Comprende?

what if the sand is kept in a box and not in a pit?

Don't annoy the literary genius†who starts every sentence in lower case Shool!

Any way just booked my tickets for Manchester on the Saturday. Cant wait.

Invisio Text for Spoilers
[ color=#F1F1F1 ] Spoiler text [ /color ] , remove spaces between square brackets

"No one knows what it means, but it's provocative... It gets the people going!"

(in reply to tftrman)
Post #: 63
RE: English words - 11/12/2009 12:34:17 PM   
Pigeon Army

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation

I always turn on PA, it's what I always do, it's why I exist,

Just...just stop talking, Devi. You're scaring me.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rinc
She's supposed to be 13! I'd want her to be very attractive though

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat
quote:

ORIGINAL: Pigeon Army
Stop being mean to Deviation

No.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 64
RE: English words - 11/12/2009 12:38:44 PM   
Deviation

You know, all you have to do is change a rating, 4/5 to 5/5, and don't complain on how slow the pacing is.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to Pigeon Army)
Post #: 65
RE: English words - 11/12/2009 12:44:11 PM   
Pigeon Army

quote:

You know, all you have to do is change a rating, 4/5 to 5/5, and don't complain on how slow the pacing is.

Possibly the wrong place to be ambiguous about the film you're talking about.

quote:

quote:

quote:

No.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 66
RE: English words - 11/12/2009 12:46:35 PM   
Deviation

You realized on what I'm talking about though right? You know, resistance and Nazis, Top 100, Pompous shithead..........

quote:

There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

Post #: 67
RE: English words - 11/12/2009 12:48:55 PM   
Pigeon Army

Yes, I know what you're talking about, and yes, you are a pompous shithead. Doesn't change how I feel about Army in the Shadows. Now can you keep this on-topic?

quote:

quote:

quote:

No.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 68
RE: English words - 11/12/2009 12:53:13 PM   
hatebox

quote:

Wow, this was................tame.

Come on people, Felix, PA, shool, homer and all the mods need you to act like lunatics, they secretly desire it. Especially PA and elab.

Yeah, I do get the sense a lot of people here genuinely love bashing the haters. I try and stay out of the whole thing, myself.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 69
RE: English words - 11/12/2009 1:00:09 PM   
Deviation

quote:

Yes, I know what you're talking about, and yes, you are a pompous shithead. Doesn't change how I feel about Army in the Shadows. Now can you keep this on-topic?

Ok sorry.

quote:

quote:

Post #: 70
RE: English words - 11/12/2009 1:45:11 PM   
gordonsalive

quote:

You can actually buy children's 'sandbox's' here in the UK which are shaped box's which you can move to wherever you want and put sand in, a sandpit is exactly that, a pit dug into the ground filled with sand. It's not an American thing. Oh and it's understand - comprende is Spanish not English.

Back on subject, liked the review - was actually not expecting 5 stars but most reviews at the moment seem to all agree that it's a great if slightly flawed film.
Looking forward to next week

'You musn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling.'

(in reply to gavmeister)
Post #: 71
RE: Its a bit like a drug, I want to go back to Pandora - 11/12/2009 2:00:34 PM   
Funk_Knight

quote:

ORIGINAL: Macphist0

quote:

Let's face it; a movie critic, film buff, an audience and a film maker all look at film in different ways. I am BORED TO DEATH with everyone taking pot shots at Lucas, Spielberg, Jackson and now Cameron. Yes many were disappointed with Jones VI, Star Wars I-III, King Kong, Titanic, but there is a difference between cinema and movie magic. This separates these guys from other directors - they are movie magicians. The biggest gap between the director and an audience isn't intelligence its emotional intelligence. I haven't seen Avatar but I want to see it and I'll judge for myself. Whether I like it or not, it's an accomplishment. Whether I am cynical or not, there is nothing wrong with conscientious films that have a message (as a genre sci-fi is social commentary and the impact of technology on humanity), and whether or not Empire gives the film 1 or 5 stars, if I disagree I don't need to create a contentious on the internet so everyone thinks the same as me. I love reading different points of view, I love debates, but the cynical slagging off is just juvenile. (three stars cuz I haven't seen it yet and I have to post a rating).

What you're describing here is Michael Bay......why people were upset with things like Indy IV, Star Wars Prequels is because these guys who were known for being to combine both magic and create a great film have lowered themselves to simply the magic parts and neglecting the process of telling a terrific story as well. Titanic & King Kong had their critics for other reasons, no one would deny their visual greatness like.

Not really a Michael Bay fan myself though I love it when Empire screams 'TOTAL BAYHEM'! I agree that these are the people who we know can tell awesome stories with great magic, but there is a huge difference between the Lucas, Spielberg etc and Bay, Emmerich. I don't agree that Ep I-III of Star Wars and Jones VI is all magic and no content, (though I agree Lucas should have only been in charge of story not the script). An example of this is showing a friend the whole Star Wars saga for the first time. They actually enjoyed the prequels more than the originals because they felt that the exploration of Anakins journey/descent is explored deeper that Luke's 'hero's journey in Episode 4 onwards, and they preferred the battles being a backdrop to the character rather than the embodiment of the film (personally I don't get anyone finding the Hoth attack dull, I still get goose pimples!!!) Jones VI's 'worst bits' are aspects of taste for me, rather than being bad story telling. But even if people don't like the films, my comment was about cynics fashionably writing off directors such as Cameron on a whim. Cameron & co are risk takers, they will happily take something we know so well and go down a new route and that is usually what people hate (i.e. Cameron doing romance in Titanic, Jones set in the 50's with aliens, Anakins fall due to love and a woman not the corruption of power) - they are all risks! And some really back fire (JarJar!!!). These people know better than most about how to tell a story. In this day and age we get too many mediocre films because they adhere to the 'rules' far too much (I work in the industry myself, everyone knows the rules very well, and then they get stumped where the concept demands telling a story in a way that the rules don't cover). Movie magic isn't just effects. Its many things including communication via sense of wonder using every hemisphere of creativity and emotion, many find this uncomfortable. Some have been dismissing Cameron based on the so-called 'hippy messages', the 'dances with wolves' aspect or the use of CGI. I think that it is narrow minded, and those concepts of taste can effect a personís enjoyment - (of course!) but should it spoil a films accomplishments? Should a fan of period drama declare a sci-fi is a crap film just because they don't like that genre? This is a story that a story teller wants to tell, and I respect that. By the way - dig the Prince pic! Another awesome and misunderstood maverick that is always criticised for what he hasn't done, not what he does!!!

(in reply to Macphist0)
Post #: 72
RE: Its a bit like a drug, I want to go back to Pandora - 11/12/2009 2:18:15 PM   
Timon

http://www.totalfilm.com/reviews/cinema/avatar

Pffff. Total Film have also given it 5 stars... and most trades seem to love it.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/film/film-news/6786507/Avatar-The-first-reviews.html

Sell outs!

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

(in reply to Funk_Knight)
Post #: 73
RE: Its a bit like a drug, I want to go back to Pandora - 11/12/2009 2:20:55 PM   
Timon

http://www.totalfilm.com/reviews/cinema/avatar

Pffff. Total Film have also given it 5 stars... and most trades seem to love it.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/film/film-news/6786507/Avatar-The-first-reviews.html

Sell outs!

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

(in reply to Funk_Knight)
Post #: 74
RE: Its a bit like a drug, I want to go back to Pandora - 11/12/2009 2:50:43 PM   
The Hooded Man

Now I've given plenty of views about reviews in Empire, but to give out about someone's opinion of a film they have seen and you haven't sounds like talking out of your backside.

Counting the minutes until the over zealous mods lock this thread too.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 75
RE: BAH HUMBUG! - 11/12/2009 2:58:08 PM   
shool

The Psychics and prophets are among us.

How can you possibly know that without seeing the movie? Its ludicrous.

Invisio Text for Spoilers
[ color=#F1F1F1 ] Spoiler text [ /color ] , remove spaces between square brackets

"No one knows what it means, but it's provocative... It gets the people going!"
Post #: 76
RE: BAH HUMBUG! - 11/12/2009 3:00:56 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

My Alternative Avatar thread got locked at the speed of light by Spool so those who have seen it could you rate the following with zero spoilers!

The 3D
Wow factor -
Clarity -
Non-headache/ nausea inducing -

The Setpiece Action -

The Characterisation -

Story -

Living up to the hype -

OVERALL RATING -

I've used a colour scheme to reflect the colour of the Na'vi
Post #: 77
RE: More hype anyone? - 11/12/2009 4:34:50 PM   
hi charlie

painfully true and they they get paid for it
Post #: 78
RE: More hype anyone? - 11/12/2009 4:40:50 PM   
crazymoviesdude

quote:

ORIGINAL: Think McFly Think

Dances With Binks...

It seems to me that Empire decided some time ago that this film was going to be amazing, so somewhat hyped themselves into a subjective rather than objective corner.

After all, if the film were merely Dances With Wolves with less acting and more "mo-cop" (sigh) then Empire's protestations for the last age about how it would revolutionise cinema would make them look rather foolish wouldn't they?

One could even venture that Empire almost had as much to lose as Jimbo himself.

This may well be the third instalment in the triumvirate of disappointment that started with Attack Of The Clones and was seconded by Indy 4. Never have positive reviews been gained so undeservedly and seemingly based on the reviewer's desire for the film to be great, rather than because of any actual merit.

Hopefully, Avatar will prove me wrong but please Empire, you are often lauded by those in the industry so stop trading on former glories and sort out your reviews of blockbusters before your credibility is lost in a sea of obsequious self-interest.

You really are a fucking bum-wipe, and no, just because I resorted to name calling it doesn't make me wrong.

How can you possibly know if thsi review is undeserved? You admit you haven't seen it. If you were a different brand of moronic troll you might well have lied and said you had seen it, but instead, in the same post, you told us that you haven't seen the film, but that this review is emphatically wrong.

You people can't really think you are right? When we have all seen the film, THEN, we can voice our opinions, but now the opinion of anyone who hasn't seen the film (including my own) is irrelevant.
Post #: 79
RE: More hype anyone? - 11/12/2009 5:01:27 PM   
coljohnmatrix

quote:

ORIGINAL: Think McFly Think

Dances With Binks...

It seems to me that Empire decided some time ago that this film was going to be amazing, so somewhat hyped themselves into a subjective rather than objective corner.

After all, if the film were merely Dances With Wolves with less acting and more "mo-cop" (sigh) then Empire's protestations for the last age about how it would revolutionise cinema would make them look rather foolish wouldn't they?

One could even venture that Empire almost had as much to lose as Jimbo himself.

This may well be the third instalment in the triumvirate of disappointment that started with Attack Of The Clones and was seconded by Indy 4. Never have positive reviews been gained so undeservedly and seemingly based on the reviewer's desire for the film to be great, rather than because of any actual merit.

Hopefully, Avatar will prove me wrong but please Empire, you are often lauded by those in the industry so stop trading on former glories and sort out your reviews of blockbusters before your credibility is lost in a sea of obsequious self-interest.

At first you looked stupid for explaining how Empire are "wrong", despite the fact hardly anyone has seen the film so you don't know if they are "wrong" or not yet...but then I looked at the big fancy words you used - "triumvirate"..."subjective rather than objective"..."obsequious". My God. You're clever.
Post #: 80
RE: More hype anyone? - 11/12/2009 5:55:02 PM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: crazymoviesdude

You really are a fucking bum-wipe, and no, just because I resorted to name calling it doesn't make me wrong.

Yes it does. Differ on opinions, fine - but stow the personal abuse, and that goes for everyone else on this thread as well. Some people on here are worse than the Twilight squeee - ers

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome
Post #: 81
RE: More hype anyone? - 11/12/2009 6:41:43 PM   
Rgirvan44

Oh thread, you aren't disappointing me.

*hugs thread tightly*

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 82
RE: 5 stars? - 11/12/2009 6:52:58 PM   
Woger

Five pages already, visitors form chavscum.co.uk never let us down.

< Message edited by Woger -- 11/12/2009 6:53:33 PM >

Eddie: "Weve been burgaled"
Richie: You may have been, but I have never in my life. As a christian I am so tightly clenched, oh you mean burgaled
- - -
There were originally five horsemen of the apocalypse. Jack Bauer said he would travel by foot

(in reply to grucl)
Post #: 83
RE: well worth the wait - 11/12/2009 7:27:14 PM   
a_new_power

quote:

ORIGINAL: ciltubrid

i was 1 of the lucky few who witnessed this landmark in cinema.i hav been looking foward 2 this move 4 a while now and was hoping mi expectations would b answered. and i was totally blown away.everything came 2gether perfectly and i felt butterflies in mi stomach after,which i hav not felt since i saw the dark nite last summer.this film was a breathtaking experience and i would advise any1 who want 2 watch a movie spectacular 2 c this

As for the review I'll wait and be objective about it as I'm not cleaning Camerons arse with my tongue!!!  

Edit - that isn't a word tolerated on the site.

< Message edited by elab49 -- 11/12/2009 8:28:10 PM >

"A coward is a hero with a wife, kids, and a mortgage."
Post #: 84
"Flawed" film gets 5 star rating?? - 11/12/2009 7:39:35 PM   
fierce-hairdo

Mr Hewitt tells us the film is "flawed". But surely five star ratings are for FLAWLESS movies...?

And why on earth does he call Von Trier 'a young pretender' and group him with Bay and Emmerich? Von Trier is hardly similar to these blockbuster directors in any way.
Post #: 85
RE: well worth the wait - 11/12/2009 7:40:28 PM   
Gizzer

quote:

i was 1 of the lucky few who witnessed this landmark in cinema.i hav been looking foward 2 this move 4 a while now and was hoping mi expectations would b answered. and i was totally blown away.everything came 2gether perfectly and i felt butterflies in mi stomach after,which i hav not felt since i saw the dark nite last summer.this film was a breathtaking experience and i would advise any1 who want 2 watch a movie spectacular 2 c this

...You are aware that on computer keyboards you are allowed to type words of more than three letters (or are you posting from playschool?)

(in reply to a_new_power)
Post #: 86
RE: well worth the wait - 11/12/2009 8:19:39 PM   
Comrade Zutroy

quote:

ORIGINAL: a_new_power

quote:

As much as I hate this text speak myself there's no need to call him/her (sorry, don't know) a retard.  Pick apart his/her points by all means
As for myself, well, I'd be looking forward to this regardless of the Empire review.  Really hoping it's as good as Chris says.

< Message edited by elab49 -- 11/12/2009 8:28:35 PM >

If there were no rewards to reap,
no loving embrace to see me through this tedious path I've chosen here,
I certainly would've walked away by now.

I'm gonna wait it out

"It's a day spa, you fuck!"

(in reply to a_new_power)
Post #: 87
RE: well worth the wait - 11/12/2009 8:22:06 PM   
FritzlFan

What puts me off is that many of the positive reviews also give plaudits to Titanic.

< Message edited by FritzlFan -- 11/12/2009 8:26:26 PM >

quote:

ORIGINAL: Miles Messervy 007

Child labour is necessary in the short term

(in reply to Comrade Zutroy)
Post #: 88
RE: well worth the wait - 11/12/2009 8:31:31 PM   
elab49

And again. Watch the language. 'retard' is not an acceptable term on this site - if warned once, repeat offences will see formal warnings.

And while we appreciate others feeling as offended by it as us, could I ask that it not be quoted, please? It makes deletions a bugger!

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to FritzlFan)
Post #: 89
RE: well worth the wait - 11/12/2009 9:44:03 PM   
Comrade Zutroy

quote:

And again. Watch the language. 'retard' is not an acceptable term on this site - if warned once, repeat offences will see formal warnings.

And while we appreciate others feeling as offended by it as us, could I ask that it not be quoted, please? It makes deletions a bugger!

Sorry elab, fair point.

If there were no rewards to reap,
no loving embrace to see me through this tedious path I've chosen here,
I certainly would've walked away by now.

I'm gonna wait it out

"It's a day spa, you fuck!"

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: English words Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News††|††Empire Blog††|††Movie Reviews††|††Future Films††|††Features††|††Video Interviews††|††Image Gallery††|††Competitions††|††Forum††|††Magazine††|††Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI