Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: not a 5-star film by any means

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: not a 5-star film by any means Page: <<   < prev  10 11 [12] 13 14   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: not a 5-star film by any means - 19/12/2009 3:20:11 AM   
somekindof_battery

Erm...well...i enjoyed it more than Titanic 

"I can beat you, I don't need the girl hahah, I DON'T NEED THE GIRL! I don't need the gun John. I can beat you. I DON'T NEED NO GUN! AND I'LL KILL YOU NOW!" - Unknown 17th century poet

(in reply to CORLEONE)
Post #: 331
RE: 5 stars! - 19/12/2009 9:47:17 AM   
hellboy22

I saw it last night and it was amazing!!!!! I thoroughly enjoyed it and would love to see it again - bit skint so really looking forward to it coming out on Blu ray! Go see this movie!

If Peter Jackson really wanted to blow me away with those "Rings" movies, he would have ended the third one on the logical closure point, not the 25 endings that followed.

(in reply to grucl)
Post #: 332
RE: not a 5-star film by any means - 19/12/2009 9:51:12 AM   
hellboy22

Didn't think I'd agree with a LUFC fan (lol - I'm a Wednesday fan btw) but you are right my friend the film is simply incredible and I think people are trying to know it down just because of the hype surrounding the film even though I think it lives upto all of it.

If Peter Jackson really wanted to blow me away with those "Rings" movies, he would have ended the third one on the logical closure point, not the 25 endings that followed.

(in reply to CORLEONE)
Post #: 333
RE: 5 stars? - 19/12/2009 11:13:47 AM   
Wilbert

quote:

ORIGINAL: stethomo
please all you moaning crying wannabe film critics get a fucking life. 5 out of 5 best this year by far.

So you can review it and say that you love it but anyone with anything negative to say needs to "get a fucking life"?

That's pretty dumb of you.

You're killing Independent George!!!!

(in reply to stethomo)
Post #: 334
RE: Avatar - 19/12/2009 11:48:41 AM   
MoBiUGeArSkIn

quote:

ORIGINAL: adambatman82

quote:

ORIGINAL: MoBiUGeArSkIn

GAME = CHANGED!

Story, performances etc. All fine.

Technical aspect?... DOMINATION!

I'm not reviewing this film. Suffice to say it is the single most amazing thing I have ever seen at the cinema and the bar for SFX/3D has been raised so high that it's in space somewhere.

When the credits rolled the audience cheered.

NUFF SAID!

Why not review it? Come on, lets discuss! Leaving hyperbolic statements like GAME = CHANGED! is all well and good, but its hardly productive. How has this "game" changed? Did cinema require such a kick up the arse?

Im genuinely not being awkward here, if Avatar is such a monumental cinematic event lets discuss this thing properly, instead of collating random posts decreeing how good/bad the bloody thing is!

Why not review it? Because I wouldn't honestly know where to start.

I've seen people complain about the story being too simple. For me, the simplicity is all part of the brilliance. I honestly believe that if the film hadn't had a recognizable theme, a familar set up, that it would have exploded. The tight, well told story helped ground the visuals. It stopped the whole thing from just falling over, leaving the viewer in a gibbering heap.

How has the game changed? With regard to visual effects... how has it not? I can't even begin to detail how incredible this film is to look at, every aspect of it is meticulous and wonderful. The environment, the creatures etc. The Na'vi are the single most realistic humanoids to grace a cinema screen and this level of visual excellence is elevated moreso by the incredible use of 3D.

Avatar is the 5th 3D film I have seen at the cinema and it completely dominates the competition in this regard.

Action? Framed by a master.
Performances? Absolutely fine.

Did I feel the running time? No. It flew by. And I can't wait to see it again.

The screening was sold out and when the credits rolled I didn't honestly know what to say other than "WOW!" And the audience we were with actually clapped and cheered.

Avatar isn't so much a film you watch but a film you experience. The objective of James Cameron and company was to envelope the viewer in another world and show them something a generational leap ahead of anything they've seen before. Compared to other event movies of the Summer, or even recent Summers... it's incredible.

I'd absolutely urge EVERYONE to experience Avatar on the biggest screen possible as soon as possible.

I can't see how anyone wouldn't be blown away by the whole thing.

You're not going crazy, Arthur. You're going sane in a crazy world!

(in reply to adambatman82)
Post #: 335
RE: 5 stars? - 19/12/2009 11:49:44 AM   
MoBiUGeArSkIn

Double Post

< Message edited by MoBiUGeArSkIn -- 19/12/2009 11:50:38 AM >

You're not going crazy, Arthur. You're going sane in a crazy world!

(in reply to Wilbert)
Post #: 336
RE: 5 stars? - 19/12/2009 12:09:14 PM   
Goodfella

I thought it was fantastic. For me it's not the visually stunning aspect, it's the film itself and the way it engrosses you. Yes, it's very blockbuster fare in many ways but it's a unique story that wants to entertain you from start to finish, take you to a world you've never been, not overload you with science fiction but it still impresses you with it's depth and orginality, something James Cameron is clearly himself very unique at.

One of the best films of the year.

"It is the Shawshank Redemption! Just with more tunneling through shit and less fucking redemption."

If you can quote the rules, then you can obey them.

(in reply to MoBiUGeArSkIn)
Post #: 337
RE: The King is Back! - 19/12/2009 3:23:08 PM   
CORLEONE

I enjoyed it so much I'm having Pandora withdrawal symptoms. The real world just isn't good enough anymore

Al Swearengen: "Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back".
Post #: 338
RE: Avatar - 19/12/2009 4:27:14 PM   
mattdavies86

Spoiler warning

Although the first few pages of this thread were fun to read, it was a relief that after page 10 or so, we finally got someone who had actually seen the film posting an opinion!

Firstly, the plot is not a game-changer. It's your run of the mill settler-native style story (Dances With Wolves, The Last Samurai, The New World, etc), but I saw no problem with this - it's a new take on this premise what with it not being on Earth!

The main attraction was always going to be the technology that Cameron has been developing over so many years. I personally have not been an advocate of 3d, a gimmick used in animated kids films and to raise the profile of under-par 80s sequels (Jaws 3, Friday 13th). Within the opening scenes of Avatar I realised this was not a gimmick, that 3d can actually add to the cinematic experience. It is this type of film that 3d was meant for. Watching Jake Sully in zero gravity and a large spaceship in orbit was incredibly immersive, an experience I haven't felt in a long time. On Pandora it gets even better, as you enter an ecosystem like no other with mo-cap characters that no longer suffer with the classic 'dead eye syndrome'. These avatars share an incredible resemblance with their human pilots - Sigourney Weaver retains her recognisable smile for example. Watching Jake Sully's Na'vi body emerge from a waterfall and it actually look realistic is a remarkable sight.

There are flaws. Dialogue is corny in places what with pre-battle speeches, and the structure of the film is rather predictable. However, I was able to forgive these flaws given the incredible effects and the overall immersiveness of my experience.

Good to have you back Cameron. Aliens is still your best film though!

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 339
RE: One star - 19/12/2009 4:52:53 PM   
boys_dont_cry

So everyone giving it 5 stars is a sheep?

Not because we found it to be the best action/adventure film of the past decade?

No...no silly me..must be casue Empire told us to.......
.....how dare we have our own thoughts..

I dont usually post reviews on here casue it tend s to be full of dicks saying 'IT WAS SHIT LOOOLZ!11!!"

But that was complete and utter brilliance.

Sure, the plot and dialogue were a bit corny in places, but I dont mind that when its done well and with a slight hint of tongue in cheek.

The cgi was undoubtedly the finest Ive ever seen, everything had a great sense of weight to it....at points I did forget I was watching CGI.....

As for the 3D, it was a fun addition (once my eyes adjusted to the effect) but I think the film would work fine in 2D.

Overall....King Cameron is back.

http://flavors.me/gavweir

Post #: 340
RE: Avatar - 19/12/2009 5:21:46 PM   
Deviation

quote:

ORIGINAL: MoBiUGeArSkIn

I've seen people complain about the story being too simple. For me, the simplicity is all part of the brilliance. I honestly believe that if the film hadn't had a recognizable theme, a familar set up, that it would have exploded. The tight, well told story helped ground the visuals. It stopped the whole thing from just falling over, leaving the viewer in a gibbering heap.

The problems wasn't the simplicity or familiarity, its how predictable, underdeveloped, laughable, generic and cliched it all was. The themes were just mentioned for the sake of it. District 9 did the same thing earlier this year, with much more heart, creativity and intelligence.

quote:

has the game changed? With regard to visual effects... how has it not? I can't even begin to detail how incredible this film is to look at, every aspect of it is meticulous and wonderful. The environment, the creatures etc. The Na'vi are the single most realistic humanoids to grace a cinema screen and this level of visual excellence is elevated moreso by the incredible use of 3D.

Avatar is the 5th 3D film I have seen at the cinema and it completely dominates the competition in this regard.

I saw it on 2D, 3D wasn't available and it sickens me. No, fuck 3D, if it needed a bunch of gimmicky glasses for this film to be good, then Cameron has become William Castle, with the soul of Micheal Bay. He should have also taken into account he had to write a proper script for this and not just focus on a bunch of soul-sucking technology. The environment never felt like a new world, more like a collage of other worlds seen in much better films (from the Star Wars prequels, yes the Prequels I found better than this, to Miyazaki), and these films weren't immersive becuase of some glasses, they were becuase they had better direction and scripting. That is immersion, when I care what is going on in the film. And the visuals of Avatar I found a mixed bag, fake, and incredible artificial. Why real live action characters look so fake to the real surroundings, and why are the landscapes so fake in front of real poeple is beyond me. It only works when the NaVi alone are on screen.

I like how it might help filmakers with their work and the creation of such worlds, but for the love of God, I hope they don't do like Cameron and forget there is much more than the visuals in a film.

There are three creatures I liked though (Helicopter Iguanas FTW!), maybe it should have been about them since they had more character than the humans and NaVI in the film.

quote:

Action? Framed by a master.
Performances? Absolutely fine.

In my opinion he hasn't done anything decent since 1989, and aside for two action scenes, here he has done nothing that really works. And I was really hoping for something as touching The Abyss, tense as Aliens and brilliant as Terminator. The performances are horrible (Weaver aside)and let down by a poor script, Ribisi and Lang are luaghable pantomine villians, Jake Sully lacks a character and it might feature the worst narration I've heard in a film for a very long while. The NaVi are just carboard cut-out charicatures and the only time I was interested by them was when they were being blown blown up.

quote:

I'd absolutely urge EVERYONE to experience Avatar on the biggest screen possible as soon as possible.

I can't see how anyone wouldn't be blown away by the whole thing.

I absolutely urge anyone to ignore this mediocrity of a film, and watch Where the Wild Things Are, which I saw on the same day and moved me a lot, almost to tears. Without the use of fucking 3D.

< Message edited by Deviation -- 19/12/2009 5:43:58 PM >

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to MoBiUGeArSkIn)
Post #: 341
near

Okay, here are my impressions of Avatar in RealD:

It is without a doubt one of the best super hyped films I've ever seen. I felt overly satisfied with the film by the credits, and was left in awe by both the visual and the skill in storytelling aspects. Unfortunately my opinion on 3D, and itís future remain under the lines of pessimism.

The pacing and directing are of the highest standard. Considering the development process this film has been through and itís method of filming, Iím left really impressed by how well the framing was, really rare to see such a standard in a CG aided live action feature film. The pacing was excellent, 2 hours and 45 minutes felt way less, which speaks margins.

The foundation to the story wasnít so original, the idea of invading a civilization for their resources, served with plenty of conflicts isnít anything new. However there were plenty of elements of creativity within Avatar. The characters themselves, their personalities and their methods of carrying out particular activities is an achievement within the script. The effort in character development, and dialogue (notably between the Naívi) were highlights. The AMP Suit, world design, and creature designs were all beautiful.

A key area of disappointment was the score. Horner could have put in a better effort, it wasnít a very memorable score. This left me very sad, it seemed lazy to be honest. Leona Lewisí theme song is nice, but it certainly didnít have any ĎOMG AVATAR THEME SONG I WANNA CRYí moments. Considering his work on Titanic, Iím very very disappointed.

I am lastly disappointed with the 3D. Yes it is the best 3D movie I have ever seen, but that doesn't say very much. It still hurt my eyes, and it just doesn't do much to hold up well against 2D with HD. Its not all that clear, and frankly I don't see how 3D is about to become revolutionary. I can see how Avatar becomes a revolution, but 3D? Its nothing more than a gimick in my opinion. I liked how well Avatar used the 3D, and it did help draw certain scenes more attention, but I doubt many other directors could achieve this. So I dont think 3D will progress much, but it has jumped a huge step to becoming worthwhile.

Overall Iím extremely pleased. Itís a masterpiece and a mere reminder as to why I love James Cameron as a director. Avatar has raised the bar so fucking high, I really feel sorry for every other future film, as I wonít be looking at them from a perspective I once I had. I really enjoyed Avatar, itís a great adventure for the mature, and the young. It is a revolution in many aspects and I can't wait to see this in 2D and in HD.

In short Avatar will sucker punch you with kisses under your retarded 3D glasses!!

< Message edited by near -- 19/12/2009 6:11:19 PM >
Post #: 342
RE: - 19/12/2009 6:18:16 PM   
Deviation

quote:

ORIGINAL: Telperion

Let's keep a bit of perspective, here - Avatar is not claiming to be an Oscar frontrunner. I also think it's useless to compare it to District 9 - the two films have completely different tones, the only similarities are in the fact that the hero/antihero is taking on the big corporation and, oh yeah, there are aliens in them both. So it's pointless to use one as an example of why the other one does or doesn't work.

Really,I thought they were tonally the same (if I got what you mean) and the use of a familiar story (Pocahontas in this, Apartheid in D9) as a basis to the plot, racism and most importantly, the creation of the aliens? Its where I judged both.

quote:

There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

Post #: 343
RE: Avatar - 19/12/2009 6:50:57 PM   
CORLEONE

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation

I absolutely urge anyone to ignore this mediocrity of a film, and watch Where the Wild Things Are, which I saw on the same day and moved me a lot, almost to tears. Without the use of fucking 3D.

Dev, you weirdo I saw both those films and enjoyed them both immensely! It's a shame you couldn't check Avatar in 3D IMAX. It really was a spectacular experience.

Al Swearengen: "Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back".

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 344
RE: Avatar - 19/12/2009 6:55:13 PM   
Rascal

Everyone's entitled to their opinion of course, but I'm pretty amazed that anyone could seriously think that this film is well written.

(in reply to CORLEONE)
Post #: 345
RE: Avatar - 19/12/2009 7:01:02 PM   
Deviation

quote:

ORIGINAL: CORLEONE

quote:

Dev, you weirdo I saw both those films and enjoyed them both immensely! It's a shame you couldn't check Avatar in 3D IMAX. It really was a spectacular experience.

The last I went to watch a 3D film it gave me a headache, and the film wasn't longer than 100 minutes.

And no, I refuse to watch it with some cynical gimmick made because Cameron has lost his capability to properly direct script, and narrate a film.

quote:

quote:

(in reply to CORLEONE)
Post #: 346
RE: Avatar - 19/12/2009 7:02:36 PM   
CORLEONE

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rascal

Everyone's entitled to their opinion of course, but I'm pretty amazed that anyone could seriously think that this film is well written.

Of course not, the script is the weakest part of the film. But when you're transported to a place like Pandora, I hardly cared what they were saying. It could have been 2hr40mins of dialogueless documentary and still have been fantastic

I'm not saying scripts aren't important. For most films they are THE most important thing. But with Avatar being such a monumentally groundbreaking and beautiful film I'll allow it a few written discrepancies.

Hey, nobody's perfect

(in reply to Rascal)
Post #: 347
RE: Avatar - 19/12/2009 7:11:03 PM   
Deviation

quote:

important
quote:

ORIGINAL: CORLEONE

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rascal

Of course not, the script is the weakest part of the film. But when you're transported to a place like Pandora, I hardly cared what they were saying. It could have been 2hr40mins of dialogueless documentary and still have been fantastic

I'm not saying scripts aren't important. For most films they are THE most important thing. But with Avatar being such a monumentally groundbreaking and beautiful film I'll allow it a few written discrepancies.

Hey, nobody's perfect

I would have preferred that over how Avatar turned out.

Oh do people really find that impressive? Miyazaki has done much much much much better with a paper and pencil (and some CGI in his later work).

quote:

quote:

(in reply to CORLEONE)
Post #: 348
RE: Avatar - 19/12/2009 8:04:45 PM   
Wilbert

quote:

ORIGINAL: near
The pacing was excellent, 2 hours and 45 minutes felt way less, which speaks margins.

Not actually a phrase.

You're killing Independent George!!!!

(in reply to near)
Post #: 349
RE: Avatar - 19/12/2009 8:36:49 PM   
Rgirvan44

It was only ok.

It all looked nice, but like any film, extraordinary technology becomes ordinary within a few minutes, which is where the story comes in.

I have no doubt Cameron stripped the film of a compelling plot. Anyone who has read the scriptment knows there were other characters he wanted in there which would have made the film much more layered.

For me Avatar proves that story is still king. You can have all the shit in the world on screen, but without that emotional context, it is a hollow enterprise. I have no doubt there will be a Directors Cut - scenes on Earth were shot.

Oh and the voiceover that was dropped in now and again really was awful and only went to show the lack of trust Cameron had in his audience.

So many problems with this film, and all at the most basic story level. I can't rememebr a time when I saw such a huge gap between the quailty of a film and the utter shallowness of a screenplay, which makes it even more frustrating. Didn't help that I saw Aliens last night. I have seen that film god knows how many times, but it still gives me chills. Nothing here came close.

The big battle was nice enough, but again, it felt somewhat lightweight. It also did that annoying thing where once the big battle ended every other Na'vi or human vanished, leaving only the main characters. Such a lazy moment, which I am surprised Cameron let happen.

The film did have one interesting concept, but I thought they would do a lot more with the Avatars themselves. I also didn't like the message at the end. For me doing the opposite of what they did with Jake would have been a heck of lot more interesting.

Weaver, Salanda and Lang gave it there all. Worthington was alright. But no one really had much impact. Even the death scenes felt cold and powerless. Something which Cameron is usually great at.

I don't want to sound like I hated the thing. It is well shot, looks great and works in 3D (although I do not think it is really all that vital), but it is hollow. I suspect after the hype has died down and the film is out on home video people will be revising their views of the film.

Also - the end

SPOILERS

Script - Cut Final Scene.

INT: Spaceship

Ribisi enters spaceship

Ribisi: Nuke the site from orbit. Only way to be sure.

END

END SPOILERS

I'm giving it three stars, but my enthusiasm is somewhat lacking. Forgive me Cameron!

< Message edited by Rgirvan44 -- 19/12/2009 8:54:13 PM >

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to Wilbert)
Post #: 350
RE: Avatar - 19/12/2009 8:42:38 PM   
Deviation

quote:

somewhat
quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

SPOILERS

Script - Cut Final Scene.

INT: Spaceship

Risbi enters spaceship

Risbi: Nuke the site from orbit. Only way to be sure.

END

END SPOILERS

You mean Ribisi? It would also have improved the film a lot.

quote:

quote:

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 351
RE: Avatar - 19/12/2009 8:57:33 PM   
Rgirvan44

I'm kinda amazed at how Cameron regards Earth in this movie. How are we suppose to feel good about the way the movie ends?

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 352
RE: Avatar - 19/12/2009 9:07:10 PM   
Jasper_29

***Spoiler****

There's definitely room for about 2 more hours of footage. I wouldn't be surprised if there were a, ahem, Dances With Wolves style 4 hour director's cut released next year.

This could include;

-- a resolution for the Ribisi character,
-- more scenes involving Grace's work on Pandora and her relationship with the Na'vi,
-- Earth scenes showing how fucked up it is in comparison to Pandora,
-- a scene where Quaritch kills a Na'vi (which is supposedly hard to do),

And, of course,

-- a longer, more explicit sex scene between Jake and Neytiri.

Any other requests?

"Yeah, well, that's just, like, your opinion, man..."

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 353
RE: BRILLIANT !!! - 19/12/2009 9:22:41 PM   
Rgirvan44

Character I most felt for: Jake's poor blue dragon.

Talk about getting screwed over.

Post #: 354
RE: - 19/12/2009 9:41:17 PM   
Rgirvan44

That poor dragon. All it wanted was to be loved.

Jake is a horrible human/Na'vi being.

Post #: 355
RE: RE: - 19/12/2009 9:46:19 PM   
Jasper_29

My advice is never watch the Lord of the Rings trilogy. In the second part they shoot arrows at it, in the third one another gets decapitated. Dragons have a hard time in movies lately. Maybe The Hobbit will fix that?

"Yeah, well, that's just, like, your opinion, man..."

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 356
RE: RE: - 19/12/2009 10:01:14 PM   
sanchia

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jasper_29

My advice is never watch the Lord of the Rings trilogy. In the second part they shoot arrows at it, in the third one another gets decapitated. Dragons have a hard time in movies lately. Maybe The Hobbit will fix that?

If you have ever read the book I very much doubt it..

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to Jasper_29)
Post #: 357
RE: RE: - 19/12/2009 10:07:15 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

Yeah, but they were evil. The one in Avatar, lets call him John, was only trying to help and be a friend.

(in reply to Jasper_29)
Post #: 358
RE: RE: - 19/12/2009 10:16:56 PM   
Deviation

quote:

quote:

Yeah, but they were evil. The one in Avatar, lets call him John, was only trying to help and be a friend.

Its not even true friendship, he FORCED THE FRIENDSHIP into the poor Nazgul thingy.

quote:

quote:

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 359
RE: RE: - 19/12/2009 10:21:39 PM   
DaveTheStampede

quote:

quote:

quote:

Its not even true friendship, he FORCED THE FRIENDSHIP into the poor Nazgul thingy.

You know?  I think, deep down, Jake Sully's just a bastard.

Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two make four.
If that is granted, all else follows

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 360
Page:   <<   < prev  10 11 [12] 13 14   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: not a 5-star film by any means Page: <<   < prev  10 11 [12] 13 14   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News††|††Empire Blog††|††Movie Reviews††|††Future Films††|††Features††|††Video Interviews††|††Image Gallery††|††Competitions††|††Forum††|††Magazine††|††Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI