Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

COMPLETED: Number 1 Revealed - Frankie's 100 Favourite Noughties Films. #1 now up.

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> COMPLETED: Number 1 Revealed - Frankie's 100 Favourite Noughties Films. #1 now up. Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
COMPLETED: Number 1 Revealed - Frankie's 100 Favourite ... - 5/12/2009 2:38:30 PM   
frankie

I love making lists (like most blokes I suppose) but I never never never post the big top 100 type ones on here.
For a number of reasons:
I'm too lazy
I'm not organized
I'm not very good at writing detailed reviews
My memory of the films I've seen is pretty poor.

But sod it. I have decided to post the top 100 of my favourite films from the decade we called the noughties. I've put it together already but don't be expecting much.
It's just a bunch of movie titles, pictures and a few words about why i like each one.

I'll post it in stages starting with 100 to 95. Hopefully it'll be finished before the end of the year.
Here we go...

100 Bug (2007)

William Friedkin was already a hero of mine. I love The Exorcisit and The French Connection would be in my to 20 films of all time. So me watching this was a definite. And blimey, what a film. It's been criticised for being "stagey" and I'd agree it would work well as a play, but I think the claustrophobic feel is just right for the creepy story. With a shockingly good central performance from Michael Shannon (the nutjob from Revolutionary Road) this film stayed with me for a long time after viewing it.

99 The Man Without A Past (2002)

A tragic Finnish story which by the end becomes a surreal feelgood movie.

98 The Mist (2008)

Wow! I hadn't expected to end up depressed? This is a marvellous little B-Movie with enough jumps and scares to please a Friday night crowd but chooses it's path and sticks with it to the bitter end. I still can't believe how bleak it gets.

97 Hard Candy (2006)

Forget Juno. This is the character Ellen page was born to play. Bloody terrifying.

96 High Fidelity (2000)

I should hate this film. It's an Americanised version of a very British book (which I loved), it has Jack Black in it and there are large sections of talking directly to camera.
Bu then again, it has John Cusak. The man is a god to me. Seriously, I nearly put 2012 on this list just because he's in it (don't worry, common sense prevailed in the end). It's a brilliant movie about the futility of being a male and manages to make the creating of lists (every man's folly) into something vaguely cinematic. IIt probably couldn't be made now, not least because of the digital age we are in. Watching someone fire up an mp3 just isn't the same.

95 Millions (2004)

Danny Boyle's often overlooked family film is a favourite in our house. It's wonderous. The kids are brilliant in it. Who'd knew a film with James Nesbitt would make a list like this? Magical.

94-90 to follow later

< Message edited by frankie -- 12/1/2010 10:53:54 AM >

A golden future awaits you. Just kidding.
Post #: 1
RE: Frankie's 100 Favourite Noughties Films. - 5/12/2009 2:52:14 PM   
_Eraserhead_

I have only seen High Fidelity of the first five, which I didn't like. I really want to see The Man Without a Past though. Do you consider it a good starting point for Kaurismäki?

I should probably catch up with Bug as well, Shannon is a very interesting new actor. His new film with Herzog looks amazing

< Message edited by _Eraserhead_ -- 5/12/2009 2:54:42 PM >

Last 10/10 film seen:
Big Wednesday (1978, John Milius)

(in reply to frankie)
Post #: 2
RE: Frankie's 100 Favourite Noughties Films. - 5/12/2009 3:10:02 PM   
frankie

Sorry you don't like High Fidelity. i do have some issues with it, hence it's low positioning, but it's still got enough to keep me coming back to it.
That was really my only criteria for this list. Films that i personally find rewatchable.

As for Aki Kaurismäki, I have to admit to not seeing any of his other films. Maybe that answers your question.

Bug was on film Four a few months ago, so keep an eye out for when it shows up again. Well worth a look.

(in reply to _Eraserhead_)
Post #: 3
RE: Frankie's 100 Favourite Noughties Films. - 5/12/2009 3:16:40 PM   
Deviation

It's really nice to see love for Millions though, I loved that film.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to frankie)
Post #: 4
RE: Frankie's 100 Favourite Noughties Films. - 5/12/2009 3:51:45 PM   
frankie

94 Crank (2006)

Bloody mindless, but it's really good fun this. Jason Statham became the Chuck Norris of the noughties and this is the definitive Stath role in my book.

(in reply to frankie)
Post #: 5
RE: Frankie's 100 Favourite Noughties Films. - 5/12/2009 3:57:01 PM   
frankie

93 The Darjeeling Limited (2007)

I never really got Wes Anderson until I saw this. I know the Royal Tenenbaums is the more popular choice, but I only got through the first half hour of it, so you won't be seeing that on this list.
Darjeeling though is a nice little thing. It's beautiful to look at, the soundtrack is ace and all the performances are top notch. There's some nice surrealism thrown in and a nice cameo from the king of cameos.

(in reply to frankie)
Post #: 6
RE: Frankie's 100 Favourite Noughties Films. - 5/12/2009 4:13:19 PM   
frankie

92 Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World (2003)

Much like Bug, this manages to put the viewer right into the heart of the story, There is action here, but it's a slow build until it happens. It works a treat. Give me this over Pirates of the Carribean any day. Oh, and Peter Weir's another hero of mine.

91 You Can Count on Me (2000)

Laura Linney, Matthew Broderick, Mark Ruffalo - It doesn't get much better than this.
I am a sucker for a smart family drama. This is superior stuff and Broderick's performance in particular is brilliant.

(in reply to frankie)
Post #: 7
RE: Frankie's 100 Favourite Noughties Films. - 5/12/2009 4:14:14 PM   
DCMaximo

Great list so far. Really enjoyed Bug, fully agree that High Fidelity works against all odds (the best performance of Jack Black's career and Tim Robbins' hilarious cameo helps) and Millions is Boyle's most-underrated work. Looking forward to seeing the rest.

The Spanish Inquisition of the 'Get Carlton Banks a TV Spin-off' Association

"Carlotta was the kind of town where they spell trouble T-R-U-B-I-L, and if you try to correct them, they kill you"

(in reply to frankie)
Post #: 8
RE: Frankie's 100 Favourite Noughties Films. - 5/12/2009 4:30:19 PM   
frankie

quote:

ORIGINAL: DCMaximo
the best performance of Jack Black's career

Thanks for your comments, but I'm not sure about Jack's performance being his best in High Fidelity. Despite my irritation of most things that come from him, he will crop up again on this list so he can't be all bad.

(in reply to DCMaximo)
Post #: 9
RE: Frankie's 100 Favourite Noughties Films. - 5/12/2009 4:34:59 PM   
elab49

Some fantastic choices in there. Good to see more love for Millions and The Man Without a Past will certainly rank very high on my list as it is also the Kaurismaki representative on my overall top 100 - *eraserhead* I'd say it is a great entry point for the director.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to frankie)
Post #: 10
RE: Frankie's 100 Favourite Noughties Films. - 5/12/2009 5:19:24 PM   
_Eraserhead_

I'll check it out. Have you seen Drifting Clouds? TSPDT-raking-wise it's his most acclaimed film

Last 10/10 film seen:

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 11
RE: Frankie's 100 Favourite Noughties Films. - 5/12/2009 5:46:39 PM   
DCMaximo

Just re-read your blurb on Bug about how it would work well as a play. I believe it was adapted by Friedkin from a play, with Michael Shannon performing the same role on the stage.

With the addition of Master & Commander, the list just got even better. I've inexplicably never seen You Can Count On Me, but I love both Linney and Ruffalo, so will have to check it out.

< Message edited by DCMaximo -- 5/12/2009 5:48:17 PM >

The Spanish Inquisition of the 'Get Carlton Banks a TV Spin-off' Association

"Carlotta was the kind of town where they spell trouble T-R-U-B-I-L, and if you try to correct them, they kill you"

Post #: 12
RE: Frankie's 100 Favourite Noughties Films. - 5/12/2009 6:31:46 PM   
elab49

quote:

I'll check it out. Have you seen Drifting Clouds? TSPDT-raking-wise it's his most acclaimed film

It's very good but I'm not sure it'd be in my top 3. Top 5, maybe? It's on one of the Artificial Eye sets - not the first one but I can't remember which.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

Post #: 13
RE: Frankie's 100 Favourite Noughties Films. - 5/12/2009 6:37:24 PM   
Deviation

quote:

h
quote:

ORIGINAL: frankie

92 Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World (2003)

Give me this over Pirates of the Carribean any day.

Hell Yes.

quote:

There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

(in reply to frankie)
Post #: 14
RE: Frankie's 100 Favourite Noughties Films. - 5/12/2009 10:25:52 PM   
frankie

90 Cast Away (2000)

The island is irrelevant. This is a film about loneliness and isolation. And it hurts.
I'm a huge fan of Back to the Future, but this is Robert Zemeckis best film in my opinion.
If it was on TV right now I'd stop typing this mid sentence and not return until it was over. I love it.

89 Stardust (2007)

Another film that I didn't expect to like very much. I remember I'd seen the trailer loads of bloody times and it was doing nothing for me. Plus it had Ricky Gervais in it. But my kids dragged me along and I fell for it completely It really reminds me of The Princess Bride which is not a bad thing at all. It's funny, has a suitably silly story and is genuinely scary for kids in places. Good to see a British film of this sort too. Oh and Claire Danes is a dream.

88 The Damned United (2009)

I'm not really much a football fan and knew next to nothing about Brian Clough and his story. It didn't matter though. The film is a gripping character study of a man who appears to have been his own worst enemy. Michael Sheen can do no wrong as far as I'm concerned (he was the main draw for me) and he is flawess as usual here. It's a really good yarn and I also enjoyed the relationship between him and Tim Spall's Peter Taylor ( I admit I had to look that up),

87 Tell No One (2006)

A top notch French thriller. I love it. That's all I have to say on that.

I'm really enjoying doing this list but a word of warning for anyone reading: The chosen films are just what I personally like to watch from the ones I've seen in the last decade. they all affected, moved or entertained me in some way. The rankings are not really set in stone, bar the top 10 (and even they coud swap around from time to time). They're just favourites, not what would be necessarily considered the best so bear with me and some of my odd choices. Thanks.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 15
RE: Frankie's 100 Favourite Noughties Films. - 5/12/2009 10:41:54 PM   
frankie

quote:

ORIGINAL: DCMaximo

Just re-read your blurb on Bug about how it would work well as a play. I believe it was adapted by Friedkin from a play, with Michael Shannon performing the same role on the stage.

Yes you're right and I did know that but for some reason my brain failed and the fact escaped me. Apologies and thanks.

(in reply to DCMaximo)
Post #: 16
RE: Frankie's 100 Favourite Noughties Films. - 6/12/2009 6:37:30 PM   
frankie

Time for some more.

86 Be Kind Rewind (2008)

This is Jack Black's best performance. Criminally underrated this movie. I think it's a near materpiece. Honestly. The pacing is gorgeous and it's full of ideas. A classic of the future. You'll see.

85 Donnie Darko (2001)

A curious choice for me, this. I'm sure the film will be on lots of decade best lists but I'm still not sure what I actually think of it. I know I don't hate it, but it has certainly provoked me. I don't love it either though. It's a film which has intrigued me since I first watched it and enough for me to place it at number 85. I must watch it again soon.

(in reply to frankie)
Post #: 17
RE: Frankie's 100 Favourite Noughties Films. - 6/12/2009 6:43:30 PM   
_Eraserhead_

Which version of Donnie Darko have you seen? I just watched the director's cut and it completely ruined the film

< Message edited by _Eraserhead_ -- 6/12/2009 6:44:00 PM >

Last 10/10 film seen:

(in reply to frankie)
Post #: 18
RE: Frankie's 100 Favourite Noughties Films. - 6/12/2009 6:46:23 PM   
frankie

Only seen the theatrical cut. I have the original dvd that came out and do watch it from time to time. But I still don't really get it if I'm honest. I will watch it again this week probably in prep for The Box. I'll ster clear of the director's cut though shall I?

Post #: 19
RE: Frankie's 100 Favourite Noughties Films. - 8/12/2009 1:53:04 PM   
J.F.K.

For some reason I just couldn't get into Be Kind Rewind. I found it all very overacted and has only increased my disdain for Jack Black.

(in reply to frankie)
Post #: 20
RE: Frankie's 100 Favourite Noughties Films. - 8/12/2009 6:10:40 PM   
Harry Lime

Smashing to see You Can Count On Me on your list, Frankie. I'd have it much higher actually. Laura Linney is incapable of giving a bad performance and Mark Ruffalo is a revelation here; seemingly channelling a young Jack Nicholson to bring a real working class obstinacy and restlessness to his role. It's a beautifully shot film too and human drama at its core is played out with genuine sensitivity.

Master and Commander: The Far Side Of The World would be higher on my list too. It's fantastic.

"People think I have an interesting walk. Hell, I'm just trying to hold my gut in."

If I get there early will it be the right time
our heaven is just waiting so put your hand into mine.

(in reply to J.F.K.)
Post #: 21
RE: Frankie's 100 Favourite Noughties Films. - 9/12/2009 1:37:27 AM   
_Eraserhead_

quote:

ORIGINAL: frankie
I'll ster clear of the director's cut though shall I?

Yes, by all means

Last 10/10 film seen:

(in reply to frankie)
Post #: 22
RE: Frankie's 100 Favourite Noughties Films. - 10/12/2009 12:08:00 AM   
frankie

84 Almost Famous (2000)

Billy Crudup - Never been better. Kate Hudson - Never Been better. Cameron Crowe - Never been better. and ditto for Jason Lee, Patrick Fugit & Zooey Deschanel. It's a lot of people's greatest hit - Very apt.

83 District 9 (2009)

With influences from The Office as well as just about every scifi movie you can think of, this shouldn't work. But it does. In spades. It truly astounded me on first viewing. and second. and third. Hoping they don't make a sequel.

< Message edited by frankie -- 10/12/2009 12:09:07 AM >

(in reply to frankie)
Post #: 23
RE: Frankie's 100 Favourite Noughties Films. - 10/12/2009 1:12:15 PM   
ElephantBoy

Some fantastic choices so far, really want to see Bug as pretty much every film Fridkin makes is worth seeing even the weaker ones.  Nice to see a comtpary choice like You Can Count for me in there, and High Fidilty for me is one of the great comdies of the last ten years, it features maybe John Cusack's best ever performance(i know many people think Jack Black is the true star of the film, but believe me it's Cusack) a great film for both women and men!  Keep up the good work.

(in reply to frankie)
Post #: 24
RE: Frankie's 100 Favourite Noughties Films. - 12/12/2009 1:29:18 PM   
frankie

Yay. Weekend at last. Now to add some more of my list.

(in reply to ElephantBoy)
Post #: 25
RE: Frankie's 100 Favourite Noughties Films. - 12/12/2009 3:22:05 PM   
frankie

82 Mulholland Dr. (2001)

There's a method to David Lynch's madness and this is the film where he proves it. A puzzle of a movie which I loved unravelling.

81 Rescue Dawn (2006)

Despite containing the cheesiest freeze frame climax I've ever seen in a cinema, this from another hero, Werner Herzog is an underrated work of brilliance. Top performances too, especially from the always reliable but not usually this special, Steve Zahn.

80 Sideways (2004)

A classy piece of comedy writing. The movie breezes along and is moving and hilarious in equal parts. I will try and watch this again soon. Those characters are always a pleasure to spend time with.

79 28 Weeks Later (2007)

This past ten years have been the decade where sequels improved. I remember in the 1980's that a number 2 usually was a recipe for disaster but the noughties contains a lot of superior second parts (as does this list, keep reading), I liked 28 days later, but it's Weeks which I think is the better of the two. Truly human characters such as Robert Carlyle's cowardly father character seem so real and make the drama that so much more involving.

A few more later today.

< Message edited by frankie -- 12/12/2009 3:23:30 PM >

(in reply to frankie)
Post #: 26
RE: Frankie's 100 Favourite Noughties Films. - 12/12/2009 7:12:21 PM   
doncopey1

I may hijack this idea once the end of the year finally comes. Fantastic start to the list. You Can Count on Me is a great addition as is Master and Commander which is a forgotten gem in many ways. Like the Darjeeling Limited too, plus great to see the Damned United which I think is underrated in many ways. Good stuff.

"Fake is as old as the Eden tree." Orson Welles

(in reply to frankie)
Post #: 27
RE: Frankie's 100 Favourite Noughties Films. - 12/12/2009 9:43:05 PM   
frankie

78 Man On Wire (2008)

Only watched this recently but found it gripping. One man's story of what can be achieved with incredible determination.

77 The Orphanage (2008)

Sumptuous.

76 The King of Kong (2007)

Massively entertaining documentary with the most boo-able villain since the childcatcher.

75 21 Grams (2003)

The non linear storytelling style in this movie is much more than a gimmick. It's actually a masterclass in how to ratchet up the tension. A real nerve jangler. I love the film and unsurprisingly the 3 leads (Del Toro, Watts & Penn) are faultless.

74 Zodiac (2007)

Another piece of perfect tension. This kind of shouldn't work, but does. In fact it gets better on repeated viewings. Another fine Ruffalo performance too.

73 Amelie (2001)

Incredible direction of this brilliant tale of fantasy. An easy watch on a lazy day.

72 Children of Men (2006)

The future is bleak but totally absorbing. An astounding British film.

71 The Passion of the Christ (2004)

OK, so I said the films on this list are rewatchable, but I didn't say they were all an easy watch. Subtle difference. This is hard going but it's so well done and it won't fail to move a new viewer I'm sure. It beats Braveheart into being Mel's best work by a country mile.

< Message edited by frankie -- 4/1/2010 3:11:49 PM >

(in reply to frankie)
Post #: 28
RE: Frankie's 100 Favourite Noughties Films. - 12/12/2009 10:15:05 PM   
HughesRoss

WOW...............some nice choices so far..........but!!!!!!!!!!!!  You have some horrors in there that would be in my top twenty..............maybe its because I watch too much horrors or something........

Great choice on Bug.......must review that soon on my thread.......

Oh and I adore Donnie Darko and will NEVER WATCH the directors cut

Our first ever HCF MOVIE AWARDS

http://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/2012/01/horrorcultfilms-movie-awards-of-2011-all-the-winners-right-here-of-our-first-ever-hcf-awards/

(in reply to frankie)
Post #: 29
RE: Frankie's 100 Favourite Noughties Films. - 12/12/2009 10:30:08 PM   
Deviation

Passion of the Christ is fucking awful.

There is no describing on how fucking awful it is.

I like the others though.

quote:

quote:

(in reply to HughesRoss)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> COMPLETED: Number 1 Revealed - Frankie's 100 Favourite Noughties Films. #1 now up. Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI