Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Unfairly Cancelled - Shows that weren't given a chance

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: Unfairly Cancelled - Shows that weren't given a chance Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Unfairly Cancelled - Shows that weren't given a chance - 23/6/2007 7:58:33 PM   
princessa

Invasion - still peeved that they cancelled that, it ended with a cliffhanger - gah!!!!!

(in reply to Peter Dragon)
Post #: 151
RE: Unfairly Cancelled - Shows that weren't given a chance - 23/6/2007 11:08:15 PM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

ORIGINAL: =JD=

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shifty Bench

Futurama is coming back. 

Well it shouldnt have been cancelled in the first place dammit!

True, but the thread is titled 'Shows that weren't given a chance' when Futurama clearly has been.

In fact, if a show reaches 3 or more seasons, I'd say that show had been given a chance while others (the aforementioned and brilliant Firefly included) hardly even get a full season.

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

(in reply to =JD=)
Post #: 152
RE: Unfairly Cancelled - Shows that weren't given a chance - 26/3/2009 6:08:47 PM   
Mason Verger

Moonlight | 26 Great TV Shows That Got a Quick Hook | Photos | EW.com

Mind like parachute - only function when open.

Be excellent to each other.

(in reply to hammerhead)
Post #: 153
RE: Unfairly Cancelled - Shows that weren't given a chance - 26/3/2009 9:34:48 PM   
MathewRed

'Firefly' and 'Dark Angel'. Both have been said before but I completely agree.

We're as similar as two dissimilar things in a pod

(in reply to hammerhead)
Post #: 154
RE: Unfairly Cancelled - Shows that weren't given a chance - 26/3/2009 9:42:13 PM   
Mojo

quote:

ORIGINAL: princessa

Invasion - still peeved that they cancelled that, it ended with a cliffhanger - gah!!!!!

Me and my mate's would always go into college on a Monday morning and talk about how crap Invasion was, yet we kept with it and watched every episode just out of intrigue. Pretty annoyed at how rushed the ending was really, sure it wasn't very good but would have liked a proper finish.

Let's shove a stick up that wolf's ass.

(in reply to princessa)
Post #: 155
RE: Unfairly Cancelled - Shows that weren't given a chance - 26/3/2009 9:57:31 PM   
Rgirvan44

Crime Story - The other and far better Michael Mann produced show from the 1980s. One of the first modern long form series, Crime Story follows a cop and crook as he rises through the mob ranks in the late 50s/early 60s.

A teriffic cast and scope that went from the mean streets of Chicago to Las Vegas, it is a true crime epic. Anyone with even a passing interest in the genre should check it out.

Here is a recent essay in the Telegragh about it

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/3622176/An-American-epic-in-42-episodes.html

Here is the title credits -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Is5ofSHZWTM

< Message edited by Rgirvan44 -- 26/3/2009 9:59:23 PM >

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to Mojo)
Post #: 156
RE: Unfairly Cancelled - Shows that weren't given a chance - 26/3/2009 10:05:13 PM   
hairpiece

arrested development!

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 157
RE: Unfairly Cancelled - Shows that weren't given a chance - 26/3/2009 10:25:02 PM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

Crime Story -

A very watchable show indeed, if a little showy - but it is always annoying when people who come late to it - like I'm guess the writer of that piece - appropriate too much for it because they don't know enough about the TV of the time. The bit about the storylines trailing through eg was not pioneered several years after Hill Street Blues commonly employed that structure in the early series and although it didn't dwell as long on the other side of the law they were represented, especially gang politics.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 158
RE: Unfairly Cancelled - Shows that weren't given a chance - 26/3/2009 10:31:53 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

Crime Story -

A very watchable show indeed, if a little showy - but it is always annoying when people who come late to it - like I'm guess the writer of that piece - appropriate too much for it because they don't know enough about the TV of the time. The bit about the storylines trailing through eg was not pioneered several years after Hill Street Blues commonly employed that structure in the early series and although it didn't dwell as long on the other side of the law they were represented, especially gang politics.

Isn't Hill Street Blues more in line with something like ER? In that there are elements of a longer storyline, but as an ongoing series whereas something like Crime Story has a predestineted ending. I know the differences are subtle, but I suppose one would be long form drama and the other would be arc based drama. Both telling a larger story, but one having what appears to be a begining, middle and end.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 159
RE: Unfairly Cancelled - Shows that weren't given a chance - 26/3/2009 10:41:37 PM   
elab49

I'd agree more with that than what that writer said - but there were also episodic elements to Crime Story. I think long form makes it sound a lot more like The Wire, eg, than it was.

I'd love to have a look at it again though - if I recall correctly it only ever got a late night outing on ITV. Dennis Farina is great

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 160
RE: Unfairly Cancelled - Shows that weren't given a chance - 26/3/2009 10:55:46 PM   
Amelie_Scotland

quote:

ORIGINAL: UrbanAngel

Did anyone watch Carnivale? I thought that deserved more than 2 seasons, that was abandonned on a cliffhanger as well.

Yes, totally agree. It's my favourite drama ever and they left it on such a massive cliffhanger! My sister and I will never forgive HBO for leaving us hanging like that. Let Daniel Knauf make a movie to tie up the ending!

I'm clean, I'm conscientious and I travel with my own tits.

You may not be able to change the world, but at least you can embarrass the guilty.

(in reply to UrbanAngel)
Post #: 161
RE: Unfairly Cancelled - Shows that weren't given a chance - 27/3/2009 1:08:40 PM   
blackduck

quote:

ORIGINAL: Peter Dragon

Action! A hidden gem.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Action_%28TV_series%29

Absolutely scathing satire of the whole Hollywood celebrity scene.
So scathing it got cancelled after 13 episodes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KY4G2o8hOeI

hell yeah, Action! was great, didn't pull any punches

I am but an egg.

Post #: 162
RE: Unfairly Cancelled - Shows that weren't given a chance - 27/3/2009 1:32:24 PM   
Blunderbuss

Well, since I started this thread way back when I guess its about time I added to it.

There are two shows I'd like to put up for consideration:

From the UK I have 'Party Animals', which recently finished a re-run on BBC4 of its one and only season.  A sort of political 'This Life' I thought it was a pretty good show that at least deserved a second season to wrap up the various plotlines.  As it was the whole thing was left hanging with almost nothing resolved one way or the other.

From the US I'll offer up 'Surface'.  Its been mentioned in passing elsewhere in the thread but no-one's sung its praises yet.  I picked up a S1 Box Set a while back and whilst its not brilliant it certainly showed promise.  It also features one of the best shots in sci-fi TV when a fuck-off enormous creature rises out of the sea and consumes a power boat whole...

"oh you don't want to shoot him. You'll just make him mad"

(in reply to blackduck)
Post #: 163
RE: Unfairly Cancelled - Shows that weren't given a chance - 27/3/2009 1:50:17 PM   
tftrman

Dead Like Me, used to love that. Two seasons weren't enough.

Post #: 164
RE: Unfairly Cancelled - Shows that weren't given a chance - 27/3/2009 2:18:53 PM   
elab49

Or for them - there is a R1 direct to DVD movie that came out earlier this year. Don't know if anyone over here has plans to show it, though.

quote:

(in reply to tftrman)
Post #: 165
RE: Unfairly Cancelled - Shows that weren't given a chance - 28/3/2009 9:53:47 AM   
tftrman

quote:

Or for them - there is a R1 direct to DVD movie that came out earlier this year. Don't know if anyone over here has plans to show it, though.

I heard about this and my friend downloaded it and said it's not very good. Plus, no Mandy Patinkin. Wouldn't be the same without Rube.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 166
RE: Unfairly Cancelled - Shows that weren't given a chance - 28/3/2009 10:29:38 AM   
sanchia

quote:

ORIGINAL: tftrman

quote:

I heard about this and my friend downloaded it and said it's not very good. Plus, no Mandy Patinkin. Wouldn't be the same without Rube.

I believe Mandy Patinkin has burnt his bridges with television. He has a tendancy to renege on contracts with little or no warning.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to tftrman)
Post #: 167
RE: Unfairly Cancelled - Shows that weren't given a chance - 28/3/2009 10:52:21 AM   
tftrman

Yeah, I heard he acted like a bit of prima dona on Criminal Minds.

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 168
RE: Unfairly Cancelled - Shows that weren't given a chance - 28/3/2009 2:20:07 PM   
elab49

It wasn't great - I'm guessing Fuller didn't have anything to do with it either. There were nice moments - and one rather amusing one that was most in keeping with the original. But no Rube, and the replacement for Daisy was atrocious. Delores was possibly the best thing in it - the character was treated better than the others. Problem was it set up ideas that contradicted the first series and it clearly had no idea how to explain so didn't.

< Message edited by elab49 -- 28/3/2009 2:21:06 PM >

quote:

(in reply to tftrman)
Post #: 169
RE: Unfairly Cancelled - Shows that weren't given a chance - 30/3/2009 6:08:33 PM   
Dirty Hartigan

quote:

ORIGINAL: hairpiece

arrested development!

Wrong. Arrested Development was given every chance to succeed by FOX. The only reason it survived so long is that the networks execs believed it was a good show that would find its audience - it just never got the ratings it deserved.

(in reply to hairpiece)
Post #: 170
RE: Unfairly Cancelled - Shows that weren't given a chance - 30/3/2009 6:14:25 PM   
HughesRoss

Apart from the usual (Firefly Angel etc)

Journeyman - Really thought this had promise.

Tru Calling - Started to get interesting.

DayBreak - 24 meets Groundhog Day...Could have been a great action series...

Our first ever HCF MOVIE AWARDS

http://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/2012/01/horrorcultfilms-movie-awards-of-2011-all-the-winners-right-here-of-our-first-ever-hcf-awards/

(in reply to Dirty Hartigan)
Post #: 171
RE: Unfairly Cancelled - Shows that weren't given a chance - 30/3/2009 6:34:05 PM   
sanchia

quote:

ORIGINAL: tftrman

Yeah, I heard he acted like a bit of prima dona on Criminal Minds.

He did the same with Chicago Hope a few years before. I think this may be why he is now touring with a one man show rather than having a nicely paying tv job

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to tftrman)
Post #: 172
RE: Unfairly Cancelled - Shows that weren't given a chance - 31/3/2009 3:30:40 PM   
tftrman

quote:

It wasn't great - I'm guessing Fuller didn't have anything to do with it either. There were nice moments - and one rather amusing one that was most in keeping with the original. But no Rube, and the replacement for Daisy was atrocious. Delores was possibly the best thing in it - the character was treated better than the others. Problem was it set up ideas that contradicted the first series and it clearly had no idea how to explain so didn't.

I actually thought the 2nd season was better without Fuller's involvement, but judging by your brief review I don't think I'd like it.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 173
RE: Unfairly Cancelled - Shows that weren't given a chance - 31/3/2009 4:29:44 PM   
Timon

Apart from the usual suspects (Firefly)

DRIVE

JOURNEYMAN

DAY BREAK

I wanted more!

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

(in reply to tftrman)
Post #: 174
RE: Unfairly Cancelled - Shows that weren't given a chance - 31/3/2009 4:42:03 PM   
Zaphod121

I loved JOURNEYMAN (even if it was a bit of a Quantum Leap rip-off) and it was getting really good in the last few ep's, I wish they'd at least bring it out on DVD.

"Everyone wins. Except Abed. But, you know, not everyone can win"

My Brothers Web-Series

My YouTube Channel

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 175
RE: Unfairly Cancelled - Shows that weren't given a chance - 2/9/2009 3:26:49 PM   
Hoshi

quote:

ORIGINAL: Amelie_Scotland

quote:

ORIGINAL: UrbanAngel

Did anyone watch Carnivale? I thought that deserved more than 2 seasons, that was abandonned on a cliffhanger as well.

Yes, totally agree. It's my favourite drama ever and they left it on such a massive cliffhanger! My sister and I will never forgive HBO for leaving us hanging like that. Let Daniel Knauf make a movie to tie up the ending!

I think Carnivale was so in its own category of series, very unique... Suspence, evil and good and a little horror...
I think Daniel Knauf got screwed over by HBO.
I bought the box set and there was like a panel discussion with Daniel Knauf, some of the actors and an exec from HBO...And the exec raved over the show....and this was just at the end of the 1st season, at that time the decision was made that to cancel the show...talk about kicking someone on the ground..

"You are my Lucky Star"

(in reply to Amelie_Scotland)
Post #: 176
RE: Unfairly Cancelled - Shows that weren't given a chance - 2/9/2009 4:37:16 PM   
furrybastard

The reason Carnivale was cancelled was because of economics; it spiralled up to something like 2 million an episode. From what I've read, Knauf seems a rather obstinate person, which has its advantages and disadvantages obviously. I do seem to remember that a compromise was offered on a few occasions - either the overall series would be wrapped up in a third season or there would be 4 two hour episodes which would essentially end the show. Knauf refused and it was left there. Frustrating, to say the least. Twas a great show; a flawed first season but a really great second one.

Same thing with Deadwood; it'll never be properful wrapped up now.

(in reply to Hoshi)
Post #: 177
RE: Unfairly Cancelled - Shows that weren't given a chance - 2/9/2009 6:42:40 PM   
paul.mccluskey

Does anyone remember God, The Devil and Bob? It got cancelled due to religious pressure.

(in reply to furrybastard)
Post #: 178
RE: Unfairly Cancelled - Shows that weren't given a chance - 2/9/2009 11:02:17 PM   
CORLEONE

So many shit shows out there and yet they cancel the nigh on perfect Deadwood. As Al Swearengen would say: "those incompetent fucks!".

Al Swearengen: "Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back".

(in reply to paul.mccluskey)
Post #: 179
RE: Unfairly Cancelled - Shows that weren't given a chance - 2/9/2009 11:06:12 PM   
paul_ie86

They shouldn't have cancelled Popular after only two seasons

My Group Project's facebook page. Please like

(in reply to CORLEONE)
Post #: 180
Page:   <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: Unfairly Cancelled - Shows that weren't given a chance Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI