Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Unfairly Cancelled - Shows that weren't given a chance

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: Unfairly Cancelled - Shows that weren't given a chance Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Unfairly Cancelled - Shows that weren't given a chance - 14/2/2006 8:37:05 PM   
Tarbie

Heil, Honey, I'm Home!
This sit-come only lasted one episode before being taken off air.  The plot was that Adolf Hitler & Eva Braun have a love-hate relationship with their neighbours, Mr & Mrs Goldenstein, in Berlin in the late 30s.  Rather than make fun of anti-semitism and the holocaust (which of course the Daily Mail believed), it was actually slightly more in the style of Alf Garnett or Rigsby, where the prejudiced are ridiculed.  It was also a rather amusing pastiche of old American sit-coms, e.g. there'd be a sound effect of the audience whooping and cheering every time Adolf walked onto set.

'Silvertops' is a charming and witty New Zealand comedy that appeals to all generations. A genuine rib-tickler from start to finish. Well, it bloody will be if I can ever get the fecker made!

(in reply to Twizzle)
Post #: 91
RE: Unfairly Cancelled - Shows that weren't given a chance - 14/2/2006 9:59:15 PM   
Private Gripweed

Some Shows I really like that didn't even last a season:
Freaks and Geeks
Undeclared
Greg the Bunny
Police Squad
Wonderfalls
Eerie Indiana

Are we limp and hard to manage?

You rush a miracle man, you get rotten miracles.

(in reply to Tarbie)
Post #: 92
RE: Unfairly Cancelled - Shows that weren't given a chance - 19/2/2006 1:22:50 AM   
smila darcy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Vapona

Earth2 (did anyone else actually ever see this - or did i dream it?)
Millennium

I watched this too! 

I'd like to add Relativity and Rude Awakening

How long do we have, twenty minutes and thirty seconds? Let's go!

All you need to start an asylum is an empty room and the right kind of people.

(in reply to Vapona)
Post #: 93
RE: Unfairly Cancelled - Shows that weren't given a chance - 20/2/2006 12:39:08 PM   
vic_vega

Some series (like Farscape) finished after four seasons and seemed incomplete while others (like Enterprise) ran for four when watching a single episode couldn't hold your attention for more than five minutes.

That's your plan? Wile E. Coyote would come up with a better plan than that!

(in reply to smila darcy)
Post #: 94
RE: Unfairly Cancelled - Shows that weren't given a chance - 20/2/2006 3:37:00 PM   
Blunderbuss

Got to admit that I'd forgotten about Ultraviolet.  Great show, or at least it had the potential to be.  Not sure why it never made it to season two, although Jack Davenport's career took off shortly afterwards with PotC and Coupling, so maybe it was a simple case of him not wanting to return.  Who knows......

One other show that I wish had made it to a second series, if only to annoy the religious right in the US, is NBC's The Book Of Daniel (http://www.nbc.com/The_Book_of_Daniel), starring Aidan Quinn.  I haven't seen it, so can't testify as to whether its any good, but anything that annoys the Christian Conservatives enough for them to force NBC to pull it after only a few shows must have something going for it.  It also received pretty good reviews.  Hopefully a UK Network will pick it up cheap.....

Finally, going back to Invasion, apparently reports of its demise may or may not have been exaggerated.  Depending on who you read, its either been moved in the schedules in the US to see how it stands up in the ratings without LOST running before it, its not been recomissioned for season 2 or its ratings are great and it'll be back for more.  Who knows where the truth lies.....

"oh you don't want to shoot him. You'll just make him mad"

(in reply to vic_vega)
Post #: 95
RE: Unfairly Cancelled - Shows that weren't given a chance - 20/2/2006 3:51:21 PM   
Underscore

It wasn't cancelled but I really enjoyed Dave Spikey's Dead Man Weds when that was on last year, I think. It was a shame it didn't get picked up for a second series, though from audience figures, that's understandable.

'Josh: Couldn't you just drop me off the Washington Monument? Bartlet: It's Christmas Josh!, no reason why we can't do both!

(in reply to Blunderbuss)
Post #: 96
RE: Unfairly Cancelled - Shows that weren't given a chance - 20/2/2006 4:16:33 PM   
beebs_

Eerie Indiana was great. I just can't believe that it only lasted 18 episodes.

Brimstone was pretty good from what I remember about it. I love John Glover. What an excellent Satan.

Let the Madness Continue!!!!!
"Paramasturbatory"?
First of all: shut the fuck up, Lois. Smallville recap TWoP

(in reply to frankie)
Post #: 97
RE: Unfairly Cancelled - Shows that weren't given a chance - 20/2/2006 4:36:16 PM   
DJ Satan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Blunderbuss

Got to admit that I'd forgotten about Ultraviolet.  Great show, or at least it had the potential to be.  Not sure why it never made it to season two, although Jack Davenport's career took off shortly afterwards with PotC and Coupling, so maybe it was a simple case of him not wanting to return.  Who knows......

I heard that a second series was greenlit, but the writer decided there was nowhere for the story to go so wanted to end it.
Duh!

Don't try to tell me that some power can corrupt a person
You hadn't had enough to know what it's like
You're only angry cause you wish you were in my position
Now nod your head cause you know that I'm right..alright!

Post #: 98
RE: Unfairly Cancelled - Shows that weren't given a chance - 20/2/2006 4:42:20 PM   
DJ Satan

Another one that lasted too short a time was Shasta McNasty. That was pretty funny.

Whatever happened to Jake Busey anyway?

Don't try to tell me that some power can corrupt a person
You hadn't had enough to know what it's like
You're only angry cause you wish you were in my position
Now nod your head cause you know that I'm right..alright!

(in reply to hammerhead)
Post #: 99
RE: Unfairly Cancelled - Shows that weren't given a chance - 20/2/2006 10:39:28 PM   
Tarbie

quote:

ORIGINAL: Frankie

If You See God Tell Him - the greatest sitcom that never was.
Couldn't agree more.  I think it had almost as many complaints as Paedogeddon.  Not exactly sure why.  It might have been the episode where Richard Briers innocently tries to take some children with him from a shopping centre (Jamie Bulger was still in the news at the time).  Or maybe the final episode where Briers performs a post mortem on a pensioner in the garden shed.

God, I wish they'd bring it out on DVD 

'Silvertops' is a charming and witty New Zealand comedy that appeals to all generations. A genuine rib-tickler from start to finish. Well, it bloody will be if I can ever get the fecker made!

(in reply to frankie)
Post #: 100
RE: Unfairly Cancelled - Shows that weren't given a chance - 21/2/2006 3:20:24 PM   
hammerhead

quote:

ORIGINAL: DJ Satan

Another one that lasted too short a time was Shasta McNasty. That was pretty funny.

I had forgotten about that one . Shasta Mcnasty was a fantastically funny show that I hope gets released on DVD!

Another comedy cancelled before its time that unless you have Sky/cable you probably haven't seen is Time Gentlemen Please. This Sky One produced comedy lasted two seasons and had about 40 episodes of the sitcoms surrounding Al Murray's Pub Landlord character. Absolutely brilliant.

I know now with certainty who I am. But I'll be damned if I'll ever know the point. And now all I can ask is, "who was he?" And "who was she?" And "what was the point? "

(in reply to DJ Satan)
Post #: 101
RE: Unfairly Cancelled - Shows that weren't given a chance - 21/2/2006 6:14:43 PM   
aosist

No one mentioned Jeremiah? That Luke Perry in an apocolyptic world thing. I got pretty into that when it was on Sky One a few years back. First series ended on a cliffhanger, and I never saw the second. Maybe it started sucking, or it tied together nicely. I may never know.

And I loved Time Gentleman Please.

(in reply to hammerhead)
Post #: 102
RE: Unfairly Cancelled - Shows that weren't given a chance - 22/2/2006 12:35:25 PM   
hammerhead

I missed Jeremiah when Sky One showed it. I'm hoping that it gets repeated down the line

I know now with certainty who I am. But I'll be damned if I'll ever know the point. And now all I can ask is, "who was he?" And "who was she?" And "what was the point? "

(in reply to aosist)
Post #: 103
RE: Unfairly Cancelled - Shows that weren't given a chance - 28/2/2006 2:33:34 PM   
Monkeyshaver

My Dead Dad, scotch sitcom about a bloke who's dead dad comes back to earth to live with him . . . with hilarious consequences.

Monkeyshaver is currently watching Doctor Who on the office TV.

(in reply to hammerhead)
Post #: 104
RE: Unfairly Cancelled - Shows that weren't given a chance - 28/2/2006 3:01:44 PM   
garfield33

Does anyone remember Strange from a couple of years ago? It had the curly-haired fella from Coupling on it, no? Just me then, I quite liked it, though Sea of Souls occupies similar territory now.

(in reply to Monkeyshaver)
Post #: 105
RE: Unfairly Cancelled - Shows that weren't given a chance - 28/2/2006 4:15:58 PM   
moviechick

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sugar Kowalczyk

I felt that Dark Angel was unfairly cancelled it should have been given another series.  

Absolutely!! I loved that show... even if it did verge on the tacky. 
Season 2 wasn't quite up to 1... but everything was coming to a head!! So many loose ends were left and the climax never made!! Even a feature lengh extra episode would've been better than nought!

Im gonna jump on the Firefly band wagon too. Great series! Bought Serenity today too. Hopefully the film will prompt a second series being optioned?? 

'I don't know half of you as well as I should like and I like less than half of you as well as you deserve.'

(in reply to Sugar Kowalczyk)
Post #: 106
RE: Unfairly Cancelled - Shows that weren't given a chance - 28/2/2006 4:38:29 PM   
Monkeyshaver

quote:

ORIGINAL: garfield33

Does anyone remember Strange from a couple of years ago? It had the curly-haired fella from Coupling on it, no? Just me then, I quite liked it, though Sea of Souls occupies similar territory now.

I remember that. Had Samantha Janus in it as well. It was OK. Surprised that, what with the success of Dr Who, it hasn't been recommissioned.

Monkeyshaver is currently watching Doctor Who on the office TV.

(in reply to garfield33)
Post #: 107
RE: Unfairly Cancelled - Shows that weren't given a chance - 28/2/2006 11:04:00 PM   
Scruffybobby

quote:

ORIGINAL: DJ Satan

One that hasn't been mentioned yet is Brimstone.
"Ezekial Stone, a former cop, killed his wife's rapist and was later killed himself. He is sent to Hell for his crime. However, 113 evil souls have escaped, and the Devil sends him back to Earth to recover them. Both Stone and the escaped souls can only be harmed or killed by each other, and they can be sent back to Hell if their eyes (the "windows to the soul") are destroyed. If Stone can recover all 113, then he'll be given a second chance at life...or so the Devil says."
That was pretty cool with John Glover as the Devil and Lori Petty as a cute waitress.

I was going to nominate this one, it was a great idea for a show and had real potential. Another one I liked that seemed to disappear without trace was Good verus Evil which had a similar concept and was arounf the same time but was played more for laughs, that could also have developed quite nicely.

I want to taste you like yogurt.

(in reply to DJ Satan)
Post #: 108
RE: Unfairly Cancelled - Shows that weren't given a chance - 28/2/2006 11:47:53 PM   
Arianwen

I'll have to say Firefly, Farscape and Futurama..... oh, and they never made enough Black Books, give us more!!

"Mercy is the mark of a great man."
(pokes with sword)
"Guess I'm just a good man."
(pokes again)
"Well, I'm alright."

(in reply to Scruffybobby)
Post #: 109
RE: Unfairly Cancelled - Shows that weren't given a chance - 6/3/2006 9:29:15 PM   
Steffs

Did nobody catch Miracles with Skeet Ulrich and Angus Mcfaddyn.  Was on Living TV late at night. 

The premise was that Paul, a priest went about debunking miracles for the church.  He got pissed off with not finding any real miracles and left the church.  He then was asked to investigate a young boy who healed people.  After much investigation he was brought back from the brink of death by the boy.  The church refused to believe it was a miracle and Paul left for good.  He then hooks up with the mysterious Alvi and investigates miracles independantly.

I thought the stories were really original.  In the states they only aired 5 episodes but here we got all 13.  I recently acquired the DVD and was reminded how excellent it was.  I  reckon the Execs at the TV network got all cold feety about what they thought was religious content.  BRING BACK MIRALCES.

Does anyone remember ROCK FACE on BBC 1 there were two series and the last one left us literally in a cliff hanger with most of the mountain rescue team caught in an avalanch.  Never to be seen again.

< Message edited by Steffs -- 6/3/2006 9:41:30 PM >

(in reply to Arianwen)
Post #: 110
RE: Unfairly Cancelled - Shows that weren't given a chance - 8/3/2006 10:38:59 AM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: Blunderbuss

One other show that I wish had made it to a second series, if only to annoy the religious right in the US, is NBC's The Book Of Daniel (http://www.nbc.com/The_Book_of_Daniel), starring Aidan Quinn.  I haven't seen it, so can't testify as to whether its any good, but anything that annoys the Christian Conservatives enough for them to force NBC to pull it after only a few shows must have something going for it.  It also received pretty good reviews.  Hopefully a UK Network will pick it up cheap.....

If you go to the NBC site they did have at least one epi online you could watch.

I am sitting with my fingers crossed this year, Happy to see Invasion go, but I'll be very sorry if the best of the lot - Surface - does.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

Post #: 111
RE: Unfairly Cancelled - Shows that weren't given a chance - 8/3/2006 8:17:27 PM   
angiep

Did anyone watch "Dead Like Me"? Death and comedy wrapped up in one cool show...Any series that can start by killing off the main character with a falling toilet has got to be worth a third series

falling over again.

Post #: 112
RE: Unfairly Cancelled - Shows that weren't given a chance - 8/3/2006 9:40:24 PM   
Zaphod121

I'll go ahead and say, John Doe, that was quality, it seems these days that most of the good shows get cancelled,
and all the crap shows last ages

"Everyone wins. Except Abed. But, you know, not everyone can win"

My Brothers Web-Series

My YouTube Channel

(in reply to angiep)
Post #: 113
RE: Unfairly Cancelled - Shows that weren't given a chance - 17/6/2006 1:38:14 AM   
Sexual Harassment Panda

For any of you that liked Threshold before it was unfairly cancelled there's still hope. Apparantly since launching Sky HD, Sky are considering putting in a £325,000 bid to buy the rights to produce the second season of Threshold (a show they already have some say in anyway) because it was so popular in the UK.

It's great news, I only recently finished watching the first season, but I really liked every episode, and was gutted that the show ended where it did. So hopefully Sky do put in the offer and do film a second season.

Ole Gunnar Solskj�r - 1996-2007

Member of the MW2 Star 69 Club
Member of the CoD4 Mile High Club

(in reply to Zaphod121)
Post #: 114
RE: Unfairly Cancelled - Shows that weren't given a chance - 17/6/2006 3:55:16 PM   
Tohru_Readman

-Firefly I can't believe it got cancel, it's one of the most original and funny sci-fi shows ever.
-Futurama, which I loved, prefer it over the simpsons any day.
-Dead Like Me, ok it got two seasons, but it was so original and funny should have got at least four.

Just because they serve you doesn't mean they like you.

(in reply to hammerhead)
Post #: 115
RE: Unfairly Cancelled - Shows that weren't given a chance - 17/6/2006 4:14:49 PM   
The Mighty

I just miss Boomtown

(in reply to hammerhead)
Post #: 116
RE: Unfairly Cancelled - Shows that weren't given a chance - 17/6/2006 7:12:31 PM   
mfj fratelli

My choices are:

4. Get a Life
3. Sons & Daughters
2. Arrested Development
1. Freaks and Geeks

These are shows that could have easily gone a few more seasons without losing their appeal.  

The Wire is surely the best TV show ever broadcast in America. This claim isn't based on my having seen all the possible rivals for the title, but on the premise that no other program has ever done anything remotely like what this one does, namely to portray the social, political, and economic life of an American city with the scope, observational precision, and moral vision of great literature.

The Wire has never won an emmy? [It] deserves the Nobel Prize for Literature!

Post #: 117
RE: Unfairly Cancelled - Shows that weren't given a chance - 17/6/2006 7:53:47 PM   
The Mighty

quote:

ORIGINAL: mfj fratelli

My choices are:

4. Get a Life
3. Sons & Daughters
2. Arrested Development
1. Freaks and Geeks

These are shows that could have easily gone a few more seasons without losing their appeal.  

Yay! Another Sons & Daughters fan! I thought it was just me, My Life in Pictures and Art Vanderly who appreciated this show on the forum! One episode didn't air in the States I think, so at least I have that episode to look forward too.

Arrested Developement could have also gone on for a few more seasons, but everybody thinks that...

(in reply to mfj fratelli)
Post #: 118
RE: Unfairly Cancelled - Shows that weren't given a chance - 18/6/2006 11:46:21 AM   
VincentHanna

In no particular order....

Arrested Development
Boomtown (more like season 1, not like season 2)
Firefly (although would there have ever been a Serenity movie if Firefly had continued?)
Futurama
Space Above And Beyond
Sports Night

I also recently saw the (unaired) pilot episode for Global Frequency....not perfect but pretty bloody good. Something this good never even got shown, when there's so much cack out there?

< Message edited by VincentHanna -- 18/6/2006 12:05:08 PM >

No one's listening to you. If you wanna complain, write it on a piece of paper. And shove it up your ass.

(in reply to The Mighty)
Post #: 119
RE: Unfairly Cancelled - Shows that weren't given a chance - 18/6/2006 11:57:06 AM   
Henry JW

I loved Futurama and was distraught when I found out it was being cancelled . I preferred it over the Simpsons.

I used to like watching Greg the Bunny but that went the same way...oh well.

(in reply to VincentHanna)
Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: Unfairly Cancelled - Shows that weren't given a chance Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI