Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Unfairly Cancelled - Shows that weren't given a chance

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: Unfairly Cancelled - Shows that weren't given a chance Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Unfairly Cancelled - Shows that weren't given a chance - 1/2/2006 11:37:05 AM   
TUCK PENDLETON

Despite getting a fairly long run compared to most of the series mentioned here, Enterprise deserved a longer run after making vast improvements in the third series.  All the others ran for 7 years, including the dismal Voyager.

Eerie Indiana - great little quirky fantasy series which only lasted 18 episodes.

As others have already mentioned, Firefly, Farscape, and Space AAB definitely deserved longer runs.

Play with it pal, but dont talk to it

(in reply to blanche)
Post #: 61
RE: Unfairly Cancelled - Shows that weren't given a chance - 1/2/2006 12:34:58 PM   
Frank Castle

quote:

ORIGINAL: shifty_powers

quote:

ORIGINAL: galvatron

Bring them back!!

This thread is getting dam good!

I'd also completely forgotten about Due South, brilliant show. Thought the dog was class and the above Mountie's American Cop sidekick was quality!

Definately should bring this back!

There showing it again on itv 3 at 19.00 i think? Great show! Quantum leap at 18.00 it's old tv show heaven!! Lasted 5 season's but could have had so much more! Was this show cancelled or did the maker's just stop it?

" guys its ok, he just wanted his machette back"!!

(in reply to shifty_powers)
Post #: 62
RE: Unfairly Cancelled - Shows that weren't given a chance - 1/2/2006 12:40:21 PM   
Captain Black

My rule: 4 years is a good run. Stop whinging unless it ended on a cliffhanger.

Frank Castle: Go to the Due South thread for all the answers. Though basically it got canned and the Canadians (the production team) went it alone, losing original Ray in the process. Unless you're referring to Quantum Leap (that's my evening's TV too ) which was cancelled, apparently they had intended the last episode to be a cliffhanger and rewrote the ending upon receiving news of cancellation. I think we've got a Quantum Leap thread too if memory serves, do a search.

< Message edited by Captain Black -- 1/2/2006 12:48:57 PM >

Invisiotext:
[color=#F1F1F1]text[/color]

(in reply to Frank Castle)
Post #: 63
RE: Unfairly Cancelled - Shows that weren't given a chance - 1/2/2006 1:51:43 PM   
Frank Castle

quote:

ORIGINAL: Captain Black

Frank Castle: Go to the Due South thread for all the answers. Though basically it got canned and the Canadians (the production team) went it alone, losing original Ray in the process. Unless you're referring to Quantum Leap (that's my evening's TV too ) which was cancelled, apparently they had intended the last episode to be a cliffhanger and rewrote the ending upon receiving news of cancellation. I think we've got a Quantum Leap thread too if memory serves, do a search.

I ment quantum leap! cheers didn't really make myself clear!

" guys its ok, he just wanted his machette back"!!

(in reply to Captain Black)
Post #: 64
RE: Unfairly Cancelled - Shows that weren't given a chance - 1/2/2006 2:31:45 PM   
hammerhead

quote:

Gah! Don't even get me started on the crap that is Stargate! How is that in it's like 9th season and Farscape isn't even here anymore?! They even stole Ben Browder?!

I know it is ridiculous that such a mediocre series is on its 9th with a certain 10th season While better scripted, acted, creative and all-round superior show gets cancelled. To be honest I didn't mind that Ben Browder is on Stargate as they were desperate to replace Richard Dean Anderson and should have done sooner rather than his prolonged part-time status, which in my opinion made the show suffer further still. What I do mind about Ben Browder being on Stargate is he is completely wasted on the show. They have arguably one of the best and talented leading men in sci-fi television and they don't even have the nonce to realise he can carry the show to greater heights. Or at least to the same standard as Richard Dean Anderson what with the current writing staff being nothing special.

quote:

Hahahahahahaha. 9 Seasons so far, a 10th confirmed - a record for the genre and succesful spinoff (3 years and counting). Excuse me while I gloat some more. And Browder on Stargate proves one thing. He's no Richard Dean Anderson. Best. MacGyver. Ever. I'm still gloating.

the only thing you have to gloat is the series is still running which doesn't say anything about Stargate only that the sci-fi Channel went for the cheaper, blander and safer series. Rather than taking chances on a more expensive, more imaginative, more adult based series. It was a business decision plain and simple and has done nothing to do with quality.

quote:

Right, I've been reading up on bits of this recently so here goes. TNT bought the rights to the B5 Universe granting us a S5 of that show. However, ratings and demographics and so on showed that Crusade wasn't getting them any larger audiences, people would specifically be watching Crusade and then switch off again. Then the network got involved, suggesting changes and so on. Being a bit of an egomaniac, JMS reacted badly and IMO started writing poorer material just to spite them. I think ultimately they were looking at ways of sinking it themselves. I'd love to know where he was going with it though, it had, to some degree, a better hook into the storyline than B5.

I don't think it was a case of ego with JMS. TNT didn't want a slowly developing show they wanted it to be Wham bam straight from the beginning, with lots of fights and so forth. While JMS wanted to set the scene, gradually laying down the threads like he did with Babylon 5 and as each and every season would have developed and gradually unravelled the story, increasing the stakes each year. I don't think he started writing poor material just to spite them. I think basically he just didn't want to roll over and make what TNT wanted. He was trying to tell a story not make disposable TV.

quote:

Tru Calling - A wonderful show, missed the last few episodes but still loved it, the DVD boxset will be mine oh yes, it will be mine.
Jake 2.0 - what a great show, why oh why?

not even the gorgeous Eliza Dushku could make this series anything more than average. It's probably one of the worst Fox sci-fi/Fantasy/supernatural series has made in many years which truly deserved to be cancelled. I admit they improved towards the end of the first season albeit too little too late in my opinion.

Jake 2.0 being great is not how I would explain it. It was disposable rubbish just like that other Warner Brothers show Tarzan that never should have been made.

quote:

Also John Doe was a great program, pity it got canned. :(

i forgotten about this one. They really pulled out all the stops in the second half of the season creating some wonderful television.

quote:

Early Edition actually lasted 4 seasons, which is pretty good. Same with Futurama and Farscape. I know the shows were good and shouldn't have been axed, but lasting 4 seasons is not something to be sneered at.

yes but Farscape had a 5th season planned and was integral to the overall story rather than the series of stand-alone episodes. I admit four seasons is not to be sneered that and how wonderful it would be to see Four seasons of Firefly, Space Above and Beyond, Dark Angel, John Doe amongst others. What is truly sickening is when less special series run and run and run. While more imaginative, better written, better acted series fall by the wayside.

quote:

Despite getting a fairly long run compared to most of the series mentioned here, Enterprise deserved a longer run after making vast improvements in the third series. All the others ran for 7 years, including the dismal Voyager.

I agree Enterprise improved vastly during the third season but they threw away all the good work making a mediocre 4th season designed to make trekkies cream in thier pants . Admittedly enterprise should have been cancelled long before then as the first two seasons were pretty bad and seeing better series getting cancelled while Enterprise lasting as long as it did is very insulting.

I know now with certainty who I am. But I'll be damned if I'll ever know the point. And now all I can ask is, "who was he?" And "who was she?" And "what was the point? "

Post #: 65
RE: Unfairly Cancelled - Shows that weren't given a chance - 1/2/2006 2:36:45 PM   
Blunderbuss

quote:

ORIGINAL: Captain Black

Frank Castle: Go to the Due South thread for all the answers. Though basically it got canned and the Canadians (the production team) went it alone, losing original Ray in the process.

Gotta agree with the Captain on this one; shows that made it to Season 3 or 4 before they were canned don't really count as not being 'given a chance'.  I was really thinking of one season wonders when I set up the thread.

Still, if you good folks want to chat about longer running shows then go right ahead.  I ain't gonna stop ya.......

Oh, and its a little known fact that Due South ended up being co-produced by the BBC for its last season when the Americans dropped it.  Apparently it was still pulling in enough viewers on BBC2 to be worth them forking out for.

"oh you don't want to shoot him. You'll just make him mad"

Post #: 66
RE: Unfairly Cancelled - Shows that weren't given a chance - 1/2/2006 2:40:17 PM   
Monkeyshaver

quote:

ORIGINAL: Vadersville

Randall and Hopkirk (deceased) - The Vic Reeves and Bob Mortimer version was a brillant update of the 1960s classic but we only got two seasons!

Didn't like this at all, the original was great & the new version could have worked, if they'd employed actors. As funny as Vic & Bob used to be they cannot act. Painful to watch at times particularly Bob Mortimer. Glad this show is now deceased.

Monkeyshaver is currently watching Doctor Who on the office TV.

(in reply to Vadersville)
Post #: 67
RE: Unfairly Cancelled - Shows that weren't given a chance - 1/2/2006 2:52:40 PM   
sharkboy

This thread sparked a lunchtime debate here which threw up a forgotten gem from the early eighties:

Anyone else remember Automan?  A brave attempt to mix Tron-style CG with the popular high-concept cop shows from the era, it featured a desk-bound cop who was also (coincidentally) a computer genius.  He creates a virtual cop called Automan to help fight crime.  Automan is assisted by Cursor, a small dot of light that follows him around and constructs vehicles for him.  Here's creator Glen A Larson's take on the character:

quote:

BIOGRAPHY
(Courtesy of International Hero)
Identity/Class: Computer generated solid light hologram
Affiliations: Walter Nebicher (creator), Cursor (partner)
Enemies: Ronald Tilson
Known Relatives: None
Aliases: Otto Mann, Auto, Auto the Hot Electrician
Base of Operations: Los Angeles
First Appearance: Automan #1 "Automan" (ABC Network, 15th December 1983)
Powers/Abilities: Being composed of solid light, he is almost impossible to injure. He needs to draw on a lot of power to create his hologram form, so Automan generally can only appear at night, when fewer people are using the available electricity. Being a computer construct, he can duplicate any skills he witnesses perfectly and instantly, (Eat your heart out Wachowskis!) turn insubstantial to walk through objects, engulf Walter's entire body to hide and protect him, interface directly with computers, and even fire bolts of energy (although that drains him badly). If he runs out of power, he simply vanishes until the computer can recreate him.

Cursor can generate all manner of vehicles, which can move without bothering with minor things like inertia (in particular, this allows him to drive a vehicle which can turn corners instantly as if it was in a video game, or even change direction and turn 180 degrees in the blink of an eye).

History: When junior police officer Walter Nebicher was assigned to a desk job instead of fighting crime on the streets like he wanted, he decided to use his genius for computers to make a difference another way. Walter designed what he hoped would be the ultimate in crime-fighting programs, which created a hologram to take on the criminals face to face. Designed to be an amalgam of all the most handsome men on the planet, the hologram, dubbed Automan because he was the "world's first automatic man", was good looking, strong...and full of himself. Together with Walter and his companion Cursor, a flying "bit" of light, Automan patrols the city battling lawbreakers in vehicles constructed from solid light.

I've so many fond memories of watching this when it was broadcast, memories that I'm sure wouldn't stand up to a repeat viewing!

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

(in reply to Monkeyshaver)
Post #: 68
RE: Unfairly Cancelled - Shows that weren't given a chance - 1/2/2006 4:18:09 PM   
Blunderbuss

Sharkboy - Genius!!  And I thought I was the only one who remembered Automan.  I used to love the way his car could turn 90 degree corners in an instant, and now I know how and why it could (no inertia, double genius points!!)
Its definitely up there with Manimal and Street Hawk (remember that one?) as one of those 'hazily yet fondly remembered' shows of my childhood.  The ones that were always set in LA and shot at night to save on the budget.......

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 69
RE: Unfairly Cancelled - Shows that weren't given a chance - 1/2/2006 7:37:15 PM   
Mason Verger

"Nowhere Man" (like a cross between The Fugitive and the Prisoner) and "Probe" (like the X-Files in reverse in that the mysteries have a scientific explanation) were two really good shows.

Mind like parachute - only function when open.

Be excellent to each other.

(in reply to Blunderbuss)
Post #: 70
RE: Unfairly Cancelled - Shows that weren't given a chance - 1/2/2006 8:57:59 PM   
Squall Katsuragi

Mention of Automan reminds me that Street Hawk was cancelled early too.

I can't add anymore I'm afraid. Eerie Indiana, My So Called Life, Firefly, Dark Skies and American Gothic have all been mentioned.

(in reply to Mason Verger)
Post #: 71
RE: Unfairly Cancelled - Shows that weren't given a chance - 2/2/2006 11:35:54 AM   
Vapona

Earth2 (did anyone else actually ever see this - or did i dream it?)
Millennium

(in reply to Squall Katsuragi)
Post #: 72
RE: Unfairly Cancelled - Shows that weren't given a chance - 2/2/2006 12:33:36 PM   
shifty_powers

Shit yeah, i vague remember it. Didn'y it have the Baldwin in it that was in Firefly.

It was alright!

Street Hawk was class though, better than Knight Rider if you ask me!

I must have some booze. I demand to have some booze.

The Dude: Walter, I love you, but sooner or later, you're going to have to realize the fact that you're a god damn moron.

(in reply to Vapona)
Post #: 73
RE: Unfairly Cancelled - Shows that weren't given a chance - 2/2/2006 1:36:16 PM   
hammerhead

Yeah I saw Earth2 although I couldn't see what other people saw in  it. *shrugs* apparently it was good?

I know now with certainty who I am. But I'll be damned if I'll ever know the point. And now all I can ask is, "who was he?" And "who was she?" And "what was the point? "

(in reply to shifty_powers)
Post #: 74
RE: Unfairly Cancelled - Shows that weren't given a chance - 2/2/2006 4:30:40 PM   
nols31

Also I've been watching Sports Night on abc1 , been pretty good but only lasted 2 years.

Peter: Just don't forget our deal, Lois. I sit through this and later tonight I get anal. You hear me? No matter how neat I want the house you have to clean it.

(in reply to hammerhead)
Post #: 75
RE: Unfairly Cancelled - Shows that weren't given a chance - 3/2/2006 4:43:17 PM   
DJ Satan

One that hasn't been mentioned yet is Brimstone.
"Ezekial Stone, a former cop, killed his wife's rapist and was later killed himself. He is sent to Hell for his crime. However, 113 evil souls have escaped, and the Devil sends him back to Earth to recover them. Both Stone and the escaped souls can only be harmed or killed by each other, and they can be sent back to Hell if their eyes (the "windows to the soul") are destroyed. If Stone can recover all 113, then he'll be given a second chance at life...or so the Devil says."
That was pretty cool with John Glover as the Devil and Lori Petty as a cute waitress.

Don't try to tell me that some power can corrupt a person
You hadn't had enough to know what it's like
You're only angry cause you wish you were in my position
Now nod your head cause you know that I'm right..alright!

(in reply to nols31)
Post #: 76
RE: Unfairly Cancelled - Shows that weren't given a chance - 4/2/2006 2:43:47 AM   
batrico

Brimstone: was a great show should have lasted longer than one season maybe they thought it was too dark.

"I aim to misbehave"

"Oh God Oh God we're all Gonna Die"

(in reply to DJ Satan)
Post #: 77
RE: Unfairly Cancelled - Shows that weren't given a chance - 4/2/2006 12:24:09 PM   
Jose Chungs Doomsday

quote:

ORIGINAL: batrico

Brimstone: was a great show should have lasted longer than one season maybe they thought it was too dark.

excellent show! i also wish Lexx lasted long though the fourth series was seriously crap!

This is who we are.

(in reply to batrico)
Post #: 78
RE: Unfairly Cancelled - Shows that weren't given a chance - 4/2/2006 2:24:36 PM   
Vadersville

Fortysomething - I remember one critic at the time saying the reason the show flopped was because Hugh laurie wasn't a competent enough actor to carry a show on his own. I wonder what she's saying now!

Confusion is a way of life, not a state of mind

(in reply to Jose Chungs Doomsday)
Post #: 79
RE: Unfairly Cancelled - Shows that weren't given a chance - 9/2/2006 2:53:15 PM   
Monkeyshaver

Andy Capp with James Bolam in the title role bringing the character from the page to the small screen.
More please ITV. Its been almost twenty years!!

Monkeyshaver is currently watching Doctor Who on the office TV.

(in reply to Vadersville)
Post #: 80
RE: Unfairly Cancelled - Shows that weren't given a chance - 9/2/2006 3:31:14 PM   
GhostWriter

Does Arrested Development apply to this thread? It does looks as though the final four episodes this friday will indeed be final 

If anything goes wrong, Desmond Hume will be my constant.

(in reply to Monkeyshaver)
Post #: 81
RE: Unfairly Cancelled - Shows that weren't given a chance - 9/2/2006 8:37:38 PM   
Phil_the_korpse

Always felt Space, above and beyond should have had a second series. The main actors weren't much cop, but the premise was. 

"Its too bad she won't live, But then again who does?"

(in reply to hammerhead)
Post #: 82
RE: Unfairly Cancelled - Shows that weren't given a chance - 9/2/2006 8:52:12 PM   
furrybastard

Twin Peaks - Two seasons, about 30 episodes and not nearly enough.

I still say bring it back, maybe when Dale's 25 years are up!

(in reply to Phil_the_korpse)
Post #: 83
RE: Unfairly Cancelled - Shows that weren't given a chance - 9/2/2006 9:07:59 PM   
Blunderbuss

Well, it looks like we'll shortly be able to add C4's Invasion to the list of one season wonders. 
If the stories coming out of the US are correct then the show is on the way down and out.  Personally, as with Threshold over on Sky, I'm not really mourning its passing.  I watched the first couple of shows in January and found it too reminicent of other shows and movies.
Which brings me to the new thread I'm starting; the evil twin of this one:  Too Tired to Live:  Shows that are past their sell by dates.  Check it out.....

(in reply to TUCK PENDLETON)
Post #: 84
RE: Unfairly Cancelled - Shows that weren't given a chance - 9/2/2006 9:26:31 PM   
Dirty Hartigan

quote:

ORIGINAL: GhostWriter

Does Arrested Development apply to this thread? It does looks as though the final four episodes this friday will indeed be final 

I think it's a sad but well known fact that AD could never get the ratings it needed to keep going, despite its obvious brilliance. Fox kept it going mainly because, hey, even they like to win Emmys once in a while.

(in reply to GhostWriter)
Post #: 85
RE: Unfairly Cancelled - Shows that weren't given a chance - 9/2/2006 9:30:47 PM   
Blunderbuss

There is talk of AD transferring to Showtime in the US, who will accept lower ratings for their shows......who knows if it will happen, but fingers crossed.....

(in reply to Dirty Hartigan)
Post #: 86
RE: Unfairly Cancelled - Shows that weren't given a chance - 9/2/2006 10:35:10 PM   
furrybastard

quote:

ORIGINAL: Blunderbuss

Well, it looks like we'll shortly be able to add C4's Invasion to the list of one season wonders. 
If the stories coming out of the US are correct then the show is on the way down and out.

Do you have any links to these stories?

(in reply to Blunderbuss)
Post #: 87
RE: Unfairly Cancelled - Shows that weren't given a chance - 10/2/2006 2:53:55 PM   
TheSpaceMonkey

I thought Ultraviolet could've gone for a bit longer.  Six episodes wasn't enough vampire slaying action for me...

(in reply to furrybastard)
Post #: 88
RE: Unfairly Cancelled - Shows that weren't given a chance - 10/2/2006 5:15:15 PM   
Twizzle

quote:

ORIGINAL: My Life in Pictures

Boomtown - Fantastic first season. Could easily be better than anything on now.

Indeed!  That was a quality show.

(in reply to My Life in Pictures)
Post #: 89
RE: Unfairly Cancelled - Shows that weren't given a chance - 14/2/2006 8:32:43 PM   
frankie

If You See God Tell Him - the greatest sitcom that never was.

A golden future awaits you. Just kidding.

(in reply to Twizzle)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: Unfairly Cancelled - Shows that weren't given a chance Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI