Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Unfairly Cancelled - Shows that weren't given a chance

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: Unfairly Cancelled - Shows that weren't given a chance Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Unfairly Cancelled - Shows that weren't given a chance - 31/1/2006 4:06:06 PM   
hammerhead

quote:

That was a real 'rug pulled from under them' moment. The sci fi channel (skiffy from now on)were all 'yeah, yeah you've got two more years'. Then cancelled in anyway. As I said, I thought this particular ending was dramatically effective, but it must have been a knife in the back for the people working on it. I also thought they'd resurrected enough people on the show and should just leave it there.

You really should see some of the extras for the end of season four on dvd . You can really see how heartbroken the cast and crew were. Its heart wrenching viewing

< Message edited by hammerhead -- 31/1/2006 4:11:08 PM >

I know now with certainty who I am. But I'll be damned if I'll ever know the point. And now all I can ask is, "who was he?" And "who was she?" And "what was the point? "

(in reply to Captain Black)
Post #: 31
RE: Unfairly Cancelled - Shows that weren't given a chance - 31/1/2006 4:08:50 PM   
Vadersville

Randall and Hopkirk (deceased) - The Vic Reeves and Bob Mortimer version was a brillant update of the 1960s classic but we only got two seasons!

Reboot - Some one told me that it continued in America but having grown up with it in the 90s I'm still left wondering what happened to Enzo and whether he finally found Bob again? The last I saw on ITV was when they were finally heading into the net.

Confusion is a way of life, not a state of mind

(in reply to hammerhead)
Post #: 32
RE: Unfairly Cancelled - Shows that weren't given a chance - 31/1/2006 4:11:31 PM   
JJ Holiday

I would hesitantly suggest Boomtown.

Whilst by the end of it's initial run it was, without doubt peerless amongst the endless throng of  gimmicky cop shows, the first few episodes of Season 2 were dire, dire T.V. And so if that was the future of the show then I'm glad it got cancelled, but if they ever wanted to bring it back  with the original cast, directors, writers and producers then I would be very happy.

"Stay frosty"

(in reply to hammerhead)
Post #: 33
RE: Unfairly Cancelled - Shows that weren't given a chance - 31/1/2006 4:12:38 PM   
beebs_

Gah! Don't even get me started on the crap that is Stargate! How is that in it's like 9th season and Farscape isn't even here anymore?! They even stole Ben Browder?!

Let the Madness Continue!!!!!
"Paramasturbatory"?
First of all: shut the fuck up, Lois. Smallville recap TWoP

(in reply to hammerhead)
Post #: 34
RE: Unfairly Cancelled - Shows that weren't given a chance - 31/1/2006 4:33:04 PM   
Captain Black

A lot of sci fi shows I notice.

Monkeyshaver:
Did they not show clips of that on Have I Got News For You? It did look bloody funny, unintentionally of course. I wonder there's an episode available on bitTorrent.

There's also a real logic problem. If we're competitors and I say 'I'm gonna shaft you' *to much gufawing obviously* or at least make it clear that's what I intend to do, you can't do anything, only rob us both of the money. They need a paper, scissor, stones arrangement where all results are possible.

Sharkboy: Ah yes, Murder One. Fine show. Was it revealed why Benzali left as he hasn't exactly done much since?

antelope: Channel Four earned my venom for the way they treated Ed. DVDs anywhere on the horizon? Not a chance. Hey, NBC - ten bucks if you let me buy your boxset.

quote:

And the sickening thing was the sci-fi Channel kept the inferior Stargate running

Oi, watch it you. We've got a fair few SG fans on these boards.

quote:

Crusade  - just as this series was getting going it was given the chop.  JMS had already proven himself with the fantastic Babylon 5 so God knows why they didn't give it a chance to develop, gain an audience?

Right, I've been reading up on bits of this recently so here goes. TNT bought the rights to the B5 Universe granting us a S5 of that show. However, ratings and demographics and so on showed that Crusade wasn't  getting them any larger audiences, people would specifically be watching Crusade and then switch off again. Then the network got involved, suggesting changes and so on. Being a bit of an egomaniac, JMS reacted badly and IMO started writing poorer material just to spite them. I think ultimately they were looking at ways of sinking it themselves. I'd love to know where he was going with it though, it had, to some degree, a better hook into the storyline than B5.

Agree with the Boomtown sentiments too, JJ Holiday. What went wrong there?

quote:

Gah! Don't even get me started on the crap that is Stargate! How is that in it's like 9th season and Farscape isn't even here anymore?! They even stole Ben Browder?!

Hahahahahahaha. 9 Seasons so far, a 10th confirmed - a record for the genre and succesful spinoff (3 years and counting). Excuse me while I gloat some more. And Browder on Stargate proves one thing. He's no Richard Dean Anderson. Best. MacGyver. Ever. I'm still gloating.

Invisiotext:
[color=#F1F1F1]text[/color]

(in reply to Monkeyshaver)
Post #: 35
RE: Unfairly Cancelled - Shows that weren't given a chance - 31/1/2006 4:41:33 PM   
swan

fuckin joan of arcadia that show was the boomtings.especially with the cliffhanger with the hot devil and all that damn them.

**its that warriors vs baseball fury element
that glitches motor sensory developement
i am a star really,**

cmyk

Post #: 36
RE: Unfairly Cancelled - Shows that weren't given a chance - 31/1/2006 4:41:45 PM   
sharkboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Captain Black

Sharkboy: Ah yes, Murder One. Fine show. Was it revealed why Benzali left as he hasn't exactly done much since?

I remember reading at the time that TV execs were considering sacking Benzali as they didn't think that physically he fitted the traditional leading man mould. So despite him receiving such critical acclaim for the role (and being quite the sex symbol among the female fans!) they were set to unceremoniously dump him and replace him with a "more attractive" star.  Benzali basically jumped before he was pushed.  I can't corroborate this tale, but I did read it from a number of different sources at the time he left.  Antony LaPaglia was good as Jimmy Wyler, Hoffman's replacement in Season 2, but big Ted was definitely the best reason to watch Season 1 (though Stanley Tucci was a close second ).

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

Post #: 37
RE: Unfairly Cancelled - Shows that weren't given a chance - 31/1/2006 5:10:16 PM   
Zaphod121

Firefly -an amazing show, thank god for Serenity
Tru Calling - A wonderful show, missed the last few episodes but still loved it, the DVD boxset will be mine oh yes, it will be mine.
Jake 2.0 - what a great show, why oh why?
Clerks the cartoon: hillarious, very funny, but quite different from the movie.

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 38
RE: Unfairly Cancelled - Shows that weren't given a chance - 31/1/2006 5:16:51 PM   
Blunderbuss

Spot on Sharkboy.  Benzali (whose previous credits included an X-files ep. and a minor role in the Bond movie View to a Kill trivia fans) was unceremoniously dumped from Murder One for not being your a-typical 'leading man'.  The fact that he was widely recognised as being one of the best things about the show (along with Stanley T.) seemed to have completely passed the studio by.

They also dropped the basic hook of the show (the 'one court case spread over a whole season' idea) for Season Two (Doh!), so even with Anthony 'not as great as Benzali but still good' La Paglia in the lead the whole thing had the feel of a 'dead show walking' when it returned.  As a result if died a slow death in the ratings and never returned.

Murder One is a really good example of a studio lacking faith in both a concept and the audience, not giving a show long enough to find its feet, tinkering in an effort to improve ratings and killing a promising show in the process.  Imagine if the same had been the case with classic shows such as Seinfeld or Cheers, both of which started with slow ratings, took years to find mass appeal, yet went on to change the face of TV for the better?

"oh you don't want to shoot him. You'll just make him mad"

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 39
RE: Unfairly Cancelled - Shows that weren't given a chance - 31/1/2006 5:31:09 PM   
nols31

Early Edition - I think thats what it was called . Got 1 season , thought it was pretty good.

Peter: Just don't forget our deal, Lois. I sit through this and later tonight I get anal. You hear me? No matter how neat I want the house you have to clean it.

(in reply to hammerhead)
Post #: 40
RE: Unfairly Cancelled - Shows that weren't given a chance - 31/1/2006 7:08:16 PM   
Gazdance

My So Called Life. Surely one of the best teen dramas ever made. So much better than Dawson's Creek and The OC and all the other knock offs.  Worst of all it was never even allowed a complete season so it was just left with many story threads just left hanging.  Annoying.

Dark Skies.  Was OK but didn't need to go on for too long, at least one more season would have been nice though. Jeri Ryan should've had more screen time too.

American Gothic.  Really excellent.  Hasn't Lucas Black turned into a fitty? Is it available on DVD?

My mate reckons Xena but I think that went on too long as it is.  He also says that it just never got enough air time on TV.  Hmmph.

(in reply to nols31)
Post #: 41
RE: Unfairly Cancelled - Shows that weren't given a chance - 31/1/2006 7:47:52 PM   
buffy

Firefly was brilliant I couldn't believe it was cancelled after 14 episodes
Tru Calling was cancelled just as it was getting much better and I wish I knew what happened after episode 6 of season 2
Angel, I know it had 5 seasons but it could've gone on for 6 or 7, this was my favourite show and I felt it was never given the chance it deserved.

In every generation there is a chosen one

Member of COBW

Last 5 movies

Airplane 4/5
Hot Fuzz 4/5
Casanova 3/5
Pirates of The Carribean: At Worlds End 3/5
Alpha Dog 4/5

(in reply to Gazdance)
Post #: 42
RE: Unfairly Cancelled - Shows that weren't given a chance - 31/1/2006 9:01:55 PM   
beebs_

Lucas Black is looking alright indeed. Lil' Caleb... I just saw Friday Night Lights and he was there pumping iron and making tackles. He looks the same but not. It's all good though.

Angel fell off hard when they got rid of Cordy and joined bloody Wolfram and Hart. Gah! I loved that show...

"Paramasturbatory"?

(in reply to buffy)
Post #: 43
RE: Unfairly Cancelled - Shows that weren't given a chance - 31/1/2006 9:04:02 PM   
My Life in Pictures

(in reply to beebs_)
Post #: 44
RE: Unfairly Cancelled - Shows that weren't given a chance - 31/1/2006 9:04:25 PM   
galvatron

Bring them back!!

(in reply to hammerhead)
Post #: 45
RE: Unfairly Cancelled - Shows that weren't given a chance - 31/1/2006 9:11:28 PM   
Baby Bear

Why did they cancel Futurama? I remember going on the website and protesting a lot. Total BS, man.
And Family guy!
They don't know their arseholes from their elbows.
Thank God for the box sets......

" At least he was asleep when I hit him with the shovel......." Moses Lawn. RIP

Has tin foil hat issues ( thanks Woger...love it )

Felix: "Poor guy. They must be like space hoppers by now."

lympo :
I have no idea how the idea came about! one moment I was eating turkey, the next i was on all fours

Daz : Get. A fucking. Room.

(in reply to My Life in Pictures)
Post #: 46
RE: Unfairly Cancelled - Shows that weren't given a chance - 31/1/2006 11:16:41 PM   
Jose Chungs Doomsday

quote:

ORIGINAL: hammerhead

quote:

ORIGINAL: beebs_

I never did get into Millennium. I just saw a few episodes. I didn't know what happened to the character until he turned up in The X Files.

There were three seasons made of Millennium And as I recall it finished off the story from the season three finale in the X Files episode you mentioned

done even start on that pice of crap... when i watched it really made me wonder if Chris carter was losing the plot, and he was!

This is who we are.

(in reply to hammerhead)
Post #: 47
RE: Unfairly Cancelled - Shows that weren't given a chance - 31/1/2006 11:46:06 PM   
beebs_

What? Are you calling the episode Millennium a piece of crap? It was OK I guess. Everybody looked pretty in it. And we got a M/S kiss.

I'm shallow at times, what can I say?

"Paramasturbatory"?

(in reply to Jose Chungs Doomsday)
Post #: 48
RE: Unfairly Cancelled - Shows that weren't given a chance - 31/1/2006 11:57:51 PM   
Jose Chungs Doomsday

quote:

ORIGINAL: beebs_

What? Are you calling the episode Millennium a piece of crap? It was OK I guess. Everybody looked pretty in it. And we got a M/S kiss.

I'm shallow at times, what can I say?

yep the episode! such a waste of talent!

This is who we are.

(in reply to beebs_)
Post #: 49
RE: Unfairly Cancelled - Shows that weren't given a chance - 1/2/2006 12:45:25 AM   
lulu karma

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ginny

Agree with Firefly. Also back in the nineties there was a show called American Gothic that was shown sporadically on American TV and then axed. They showed the whole series over here and it did quite well but only one series was ever made.
I loved it and have just ordered the region one dvd boxset.

Absolutely!  I love Firefly and plan to watch the series again soon.  American Gothic was fantastic and I couldn't understand why it was taken off the air.

I feel like I'm Han Solo, and you're Chewie and she's Ben Kenobi and we're in that fucked-up bar.

This is the captain speaking. It appears we are going down. Now may be the time to reflect upon your life and pray to whatever deity you believe in. We know you have your choice of airlines and apparently you made the wrong one.

The eyes are the nipples of the face.

(in reply to Ginny)
Post #: 50
RE: Unfairly Cancelled - Shows that weren't given a chance - 1/2/2006 2:36:21 AM   
Frank Castle

quote:

ORIGINAL: nols31

Early Edition - I think thats what it was called . Got 1 season , thought it was pretty good.

Is that the one with that day's newspaper delivered to his doorstep??  I used to watch it on ITV Saturday afternoon. Was a good show. Only 1 season? Bstard's!

" guys its ok, he just wanted his machette back"!!

(in reply to nols31)
Post #: 51
RE: Unfairly Cancelled - Shows that weren't given a chance - 1/2/2006 2:44:27 AM   
Frank Castle

quote:

ORIGINAL: Frank Castle

quote:

ORIGINAL: nols31

Is that the one with that day's newspaper delivered to his doorstep??  I used to watch it on ITV Saturday afternoon. Was a good show. Only 1 season? Bstard's!

I just looked it had 4 season's!! Dvd please!!
-

" guys its ok, he just wanted his machette back"!!

(in reply to Frank Castle)
Post #: 52
RE: Unfairly Cancelled - Shows that weren't given a chance - 1/2/2006 2:51:30 AM   
Shifty Bench

Early Edition actually lasted 4 seasons, which is pretty good. Same with Futurama and Farscape. I know the shows were good and shouldn't have been axed, but lasting 4 seasons is not something to be sneered at.

I'll second whoever mentioned the Clerks cartoon. The first couple of episodes are poor, but the court episode with judge Judge Reinhold is great. I nearly pissed myself laughing at the anime ending. Oh, and Firefly rules!!!!

Ah, you got there first Frank

< Message edited by Shifty Bench -- 1/2/2006 2:53:39 AM >

Post #: 53
RE: Unfairly Cancelled - Shows that weren't given a chance - 1/2/2006 4:08:53 AM   
lulu karma

I had forgotten about Early Edition.  I loved it!

One series that was cancelled recently that I fail to understand the reasoning behind is Carnivale.  They take us to the climax of the plot and bam!  Cancelled.

I feel like I'm Han Solo, and you're Chewie and she's Ben Kenobi and we're in that fucked-up bar.

This is the captain speaking. It appears we are going down. Now may be the time to reflect upon your life and pray to whatever deity you believe in. We know you have your choice of airlines and apparently you made the wrong one.

The eyes are the nipples of the face.

Post #: 54
RE: Unfairly Cancelled - Shows that weren't given a chance - 1/2/2006 5:28:26 AM   
Higgins

Now and Again was awesome. There can never be too much Dennis Haysbert for my taste.

Due South was awesome, Early Edition was strangely compelling.

Also John Doe was a great program, pity it got canned. :(

The door of the cage is open, all that you feel is the wind from outside.

Don't be afraid.

(in reply to lulu karma)
Post #: 55
RE: Unfairly Cancelled - Shows that weren't given a chance - 1/2/2006 9:17:40 AM   
sharkboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: lulu karma

I had forgotten about Early Edition.  I loved it!

One series that was cancelled recently that I fail to understand the reasoning behind is Carnivale.  They take us to the climax of the plot and bam!  Cancelled.

Christ, how could I have forgotten Carnivale?   I take pride in the fact that I was the first person to post about this brilliant show on the old forum and managed to get quite a few watching it.  But as Lu says, what a place to leave us hanging!  A 2 season build-up to that moment, then nothing... Much as I love HBO, they were bastards for abandoning us fans like that.

I was going to include Early Edition in my initial post also until a quick recce on tv.com revealled, as Frank and Shifty said, that it actually had 4 seasons, (though we only got one over here) and looked to have seriously jumped that shark at some stage, with time-travelling, other people with papers, and more sub-quantum leap plots.

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

(in reply to lulu karma)
Post #: 56
RE: Unfairly Cancelled - Shows that weren't given a chance - 1/2/2006 10:53:09 AM   
Jose Chungs Doomsday

I forgot to mention 'Odyssey 5' I remeber it was on sky 1 and then got cancelled a couple of years ago. It was a great show and the best think Peter Weller had done since Robocop!

This is who we are.

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 57
RE: Unfairly Cancelled - Shows that weren't given a chance - 1/2/2006 11:04:08 AM   
the_edge99uk

quote:

ORIGINAL: Vadersville

Reboot - Some one told me that it continued in America but having grown up with it in the 90s I'm still left wondering what happened to Enzo and whether he finally found Bob again? The last I saw on ITV was when they were finally heading into the net.

"I Come From the Net, through Systems, Peoples and cities...to this place, MAINFRAME, My format, Guardian, to mend and defend, to protect my new found freinds, thier hopes and dreams, to defend them from...Thier enemies"

I used to love this show, but can't remember much of the last series, though. Would like to watch it again now, but the dvd's are out of print and selling for $130!!

< Message edited by the_edge99uk -- 1/2/2006 11:05:15 AM >

What the fucks the internet?

(in reply to Vadersville)
Post #: 58
RE: Unfairly Cancelled - Shows that weren't given a chance - 1/2/2006 11:24:03 AM   
shifty_powers

quote:

ORIGINAL: galvatron

Bring them back!!

This thread is getting dam good!

I'd also completely forgotten about Due South, brilliant show. Thought the dog was class and the above Mountie's American Cop sidekick was quality!

Definately should bring this back!

I must have some booze. I demand to have some booze.

The Dude: Walter, I love you, but sooner or later, you're going to have to realize the fact that you're a god damn moron.

(in reply to galvatron)
Post #: 59
RE: Unfairly Cancelled - Shows that weren't given a chance - 1/2/2006 11:28:39 AM   
blanche

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gazdance

My So Called Life. Surely one of the best teen dramas ever made. So much better than Dawson's Creek and The OC and all the other knock offs.  Worst of all it was never even allowed a complete season so it was just left with many story threads just left hanging.  Annoying.

I second that one, probably the best teen drama ever.

And I'd also like to advance Freaks and Geeks.

(in reply to Gazdance)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: Unfairly Cancelled - Shows that weren't given a chance Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI