Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Unfairly Cancelled - Shows that weren't given a chance

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> Unfairly Cancelled - Shows that weren't given a chance Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Unfairly Cancelled - Shows that weren't given a chance - 31/1/2006 10:43:38 AM   
Blunderbuss

Following my recent post about Space: Above & Beyond, I started thinking about other shows that have shown promise but failed to make it past Season One.  Catching about five minutes of Medical Investigation on Five last night (another cancelled show) reinforced my musings

With some shows, such as with SKY's purchase last year; Wonder Falls (a flawed attempt to do 'quirky') you can see why they didn't get picked up for Season 2 or even a full first season order.  In other cases, such as with Firefly, premature cancellation is inexplicable when you look at the dire shows that do get picked up.

So my question is; which shows do you think were killed off too soon.  I'm sure there will be a load of Browncoats shouting Firefly, but it would also be interesting to see what else kicks up.  Are there any Threshold fans out there weeping over the fact that this didn't make it past 13 episodes.  Of speaking of Carla Gugino (sp?) lead shows, what about 'Karen Sisco' fans?  Personally, whilst not a fan of Threshold, I would have liked to have seen it given a full season to develop.  The cast alone was enough of a reason to watch.  Anyone else out there agree or disagree?

< Message edited by Blunderbuss -- 31/1/2006 11:45:31 AM >

"oh you don't want to shoot him. You'll just make him mad"
Post #: 1
RE: Unfairly Cancelled - Shows that weren't given a chance - 31/1/2006 10:52:37 AM   
Ginny

Agree with Firefly. Also back in the nineties there was a show called American Gothic that was shown sporadically on American TV and then axed. They showed the whole series over here and it did quite well but only one series was ever made.
I loved it and have just ordered the region one dvd boxset.

if you are so stupid to confront the chief of medicine over some quasi-offensive endearrment, then you've just gotta go ahead and change the captain of your brainship because he's drunk at the wheel.

(in reply to Blunderbuss)
Post #: 2
RE: Unfairly Cancelled - Shows that weren't given a chance - 31/1/2006 11:11:14 AM   
Tech_Noir

Dark Skiies was interesting, it ended so abuptly with no conclusion.

American Gothic was brill too.

Family Guy shouldn't have been cancelled (I know its back now but what a waste of a few years - could have had a whole extra season).

(in reply to Ginny)
Post #: 3
RE: Unfairly Cancelled - Shows that weren't given a chance - 31/1/2006 11:21:07 AM   
beebs_

You got there just before me Ginny. American Gothic was a decent show. I loved Gary Cole as Buck and Lucas Black as Caleb. I bought the DVDs in December and watched them over Christmas. OK, some of it is a bit cheesy, but the characters are very cool.

Let the Madness Continue!!!!!
"Paramasturbatory"?
First of all: shut the fuck up, Lois. Smallville recap TWoP

(in reply to Ginny)
Post #: 4
RE: Unfairly Cancelled - Shows that weren't given a chance - 31/1/2006 11:39:59 AM   
shifty_powers

I'll go along with American Gothic and FireFly, which were both class shows.

Also like to add Futurama, which i prefer to Simpsons any day of the week.

< Message edited by shifty_powers -- 31/1/2006 11:58:15 AM >

I must have some booze. I demand to have some booze.

The Dude: Walter, I love you, but sooner or later, you're going to have to realize the fact that you're a god damn moron.

(in reply to beebs_)
Post #: 5
RE: Unfairly Cancelled - Shows that weren't given a chance - 31/1/2006 11:42:11 AM   
AgentGoth

Dark Skies... I watched the first season of this recently and it has so much potential to have a second season as a hell of a lot of stuff was left unanswered. Very underrated show and a real shame that it wasn't appreciated more.

Space: Above and Beyond as well. Awesome show.

"Sheriff Perry! You are violating my territorial bubble!"

(in reply to shifty_powers)
Post #: 6
RE: Unfairly Cancelled - Shows that weren't given a chance - 31/1/2006 11:49:50 AM   
beebs_

I forgot to mention Space Above and beyond which I remember enjoying.

I thought Dark Skies was OK. I'm an X phile so I found this show to be a bit of a teef. I couldn't take it too seriously as I was seriously into the X Files.

Oh! Farscape! It should have gotten it's fifth season! I loved that show!

"Paramasturbatory"?

(in reply to AgentGoth)
Post #: 7
RE: Unfairly Cancelled - Shows that weren't given a chance - 31/1/2006 11:58:13 AM   
AgentGoth

Yeah, I could see why an X-files fan wouldn't like it. I love the X-files, but I'm not a die hard follower.

Farscape... I've watched loads of it, but I remember BBC2 used to put episodes on at weird times, meaning that I missed loads of it. It was a very good show, and I'll have to collect all of the episodes soon.

"Sheriff Perry! You are violating my territorial bubble!"

(in reply to beebs_)
Post #: 8
RE: Unfairly Cancelled - Shows that weren't given a chance - 31/1/2006 12:01:40 PM   
shifty_powers

I bleedin well forgot to mention Space: Above and Beyond as well, whats the world coming too eh!

Watched quite a bit of Farscape, on both BBC2 and Sci Fi. But as the programme times were all over the place i didn't really get into it, as i missed loads of episodes or ended up watching em in the worng dam order!

The Dude: Walter, I love you, but sooner or later, you're going to have to realize the fact that you're a god damn moron.

(in reply to AgentGoth)
Post #: 9
RE: Unfairly Cancelled - Shows that weren't given a chance - 31/1/2006 12:07:39 PM   
beebs_

I followed Dark Skies with all it's gangloid things. It was good. Oh yeah, 7 of 9 was in it near the end. That was cool. But yeah, it was a bit too much like X Files.

If you're going to buy Farscape DVDs I'd go for the Starburst Editions. They're region 1 discs so you need a multi-region player. There are 3 editions for each season at about £10 a set (so £30 for a season.). The extras and commentaries are worth it.

"Paramasturbatory"?

(in reply to AgentGoth)
Post #: 10
RE: Unfairly Cancelled - Shows that weren't given a chance - 31/1/2006 12:13:24 PM   
Zulu

I always thought Grosse Point deserved a longer run... very funny and took the piss out of all those stupid teen soaps all the girls I knew at work and Uni used to love watching!

"Zombie Guards- Seize Him! ...Now tell me that isn't fun to say."

"Oh, a lesson in NOT changing History from Mr. 'I'm My Own Grandfather'!"

"I'm not going to lie to you... this car has only had one previous owner: JAMES BOND!"

Post #: 11
RE: Unfairly Cancelled - Shows that weren't given a chance - 31/1/2006 12:14:44 PM   
Captain Black

I mentioned this little Dark Skies nugget in another thread, but it seems pretty damn appropriate here. If you recall, at the end of the season (indeed, series as it turned out) Loengard was attempting to leave alien ship with his son and pretty much all of the other main characters had been wiped out (including Bach due to an infiltration at Majestic). The idea for the second year was to have Loengard return to Earth but to have him propelled in time to the present day. This was a really cool idea and ties in really well with the 'history you know is a lie' line from the opening credits. When I originally watched the show I got the impression they were going to translate a year for each decade, but obviously decided to jump ahead. Oh, and it was a better show than The X Files. X-Files, nine years of teasing and what? Meh. Dark Skies, aliens out on display in the bloody pilot and there was more to come. They even incorporated a lot of Dark Skies ideas into The X Files once the former was cancelled and the writers returned. For the record, I loved The X Files early in its run too.

Keeping the theme with Eric 'former show killer' Close, I've caught a few episodes of Now & Again on ITV4, it's got some decent ideas, if a touch derivative about a dead man reborn into a supersoldier type body. It's Robocop with less metal. It also features a terrific pre-24 performance from Dennis Haysbert, adding a layer of menance to his usual charm and gravitas. I mention it here because it apparently ended on a cliffhanger and I'll be watching for that reason alone.

Farscape rocked the house, some of the most imaginitive sci fi plots and themes we've seen on mainstream TV. Like Babylon 5 it was the best example of using the genre to express far reaching ideas (living ships? living gunships? trés cool) rather than technobabble. Having said that it got four years and I personally like to think it ended on one of the great shocker endings rather than having the stories tied up in the Peacekeeper Wars miniseries.

Probably should throw in Crusade. In truth, it wasn't too good after a mere 13 episodes but if it had turned out to be half as good as Babylon 5 it would have been something special.

Invisiotext:
[color=#F1F1F1]text[/color]

(in reply to AgentGoth)
Post #: 12
RE: Unfairly Cancelled - Shows that weren't given a chance - 31/1/2006 12:33:52 PM   
beebs_

Wasn't Gary "Lucas Buck" Cole on Crusade?

Farscape did have 4 years which isn't bad, but the story arc was supposed to be over 5 years. At least there was the mini series to give some closure, because the S4 finale was just too much! You could see when watching the Peacekeeper Wars how the story was condensed to fit into the 2 hours rather than 22 episodes.

"Paramasturbatory"?

(in reply to Captain Black)
Post #: 13
RE: Unfairly Cancelled - Shows that weren't given a chance - 31/1/2006 12:45:54 PM   
Captain Black

quote:

ORIGINAL: beebs_

Wasn't Gary "Lucas Buck" Cole on Crusade?

Yup. Captain Mathew Gideon. He was the best thing about it, managing to fall somewhere between the Sheridan and Sinclair roles from B5. He's in a show called Wanted on ITV4 at the moment which is pretty good.

quote:

Farscape did have 4 years which isn't bad, but the story arc was supposed to be over 5 years. At least there was the mini series to give some closure, because the S4 finale was just too much! You could see when watching the Peacekeeper Wars how the story was condensed to fit into the 2 hours rather than 22 episodes.

That was a real 'rug pulled from under them' moment. The sci fi channel (skiffy from now on)were all 'yeah, yeah you've got two more years'. Then cancelled in anyway. As I said, I thought this particular ending was dramatically effective, but it must have been a knife in the back for the people working on it. I also thought they'd resurrected enough people on the show and should just leave it there.

I've not actually seen The Peacekeeper Wars. Recommended?

Invisiotext:
[color=#F1F1F1]text[/color]

(in reply to beebs_)
Post #: 14
RE: Unfairly Cancelled - Shows that weren't given a chance - 31/1/2006 1:03:11 PM   
beebs_

Lets see...

The whole wormhole business between John, the peacekeepers and the scarrans comes to a head. That was Farscape's mythology so we get some kind of closure on that. My beef with it is that it's all a bit rushed. I believe these guys when they say they had a plan for the series. I recognise aimlessness, I'm a fan of the X Files. With the mini series they've tried to cram a seasons worth of development into 2 hours. I can just see how season 5 would have run. It's all good fun, but you'll need to be up on the back story to really appreciate it.

Go get the Peacekeeper Wars!

I'm trying to keep an eye on Wanted. Not only Gary Cole, but Beacher from Oz! How could I resist!?

"Paramasturbatory"?

Post #: 15
RE: Unfairly Cancelled - Shows that weren't given a chance - 31/1/2006 1:24:28 PM   
Monkeyshaver

Shafted. The quiz show presented by orange skinned Veritas founder member Robert Kilroy-Silk. Offered contestants the intriguing dilemma of whether to share or shaft.

"You've been shafted!"

Monkeyshaver is currently watching Doctor Who on the office TV.

(in reply to beebs_)
Post #: 16
RE: Unfairly Cancelled - Shows that weren't given a chance - 31/1/2006 1:35:22 PM   
beebs_

quote:

"You've been shafted!"

You're kidding!? that was a show?!

"Paramasturbatory"?

(in reply to Monkeyshaver)
Post #: 17
RE: Unfairly Cancelled - Shows that weren't given a chance - 31/1/2006 1:38:18 PM   
shifty_powers

I'd forgotten all about Now & Again, watched the first 5 or 6 episodes of that and rather enjoyed it.

Can't remember much about Dark skies though, although i did watch a few of them!

Post #: 18
RE: Unfairly Cancelled - Shows that weren't given a chance - 31/1/2006 1:44:00 PM   
Sugar Kowalczyk

I felt that Dark Angel was unfairly cancelled it should have been given another series.  

Post #: 19
RE: Unfairly Cancelled - Shows that weren't given a chance - 31/1/2006 2:03:14 PM   
Frank Castle

Tru calling :- I recently bought the boxset that's out cheap and was surprised how good the show was? Really should have let them finish the second series! It was just getting interesting!

" guys its ok, he just wanted his machette back"!!

(in reply to Sugar Kowalczyk)
Post #: 20
RE: Unfairly Cancelled - Shows that weren't given a chance - 31/1/2006 2:32:52 PM   
HIGHLANDER

The Handler was an police drama series about undercover cops starring Joe Pantoliamo in the title role.It aired in the UK in January 2004 but soon it got pushed back to a crap time and only lasted one season. It really was a very good show with good guest stars across the series including Lou Diamond Phillips, Peter 'Robocop' Weller, Burt Young and Mike Starr.
It's easily as good as Without a Trace and i would've liked to have seen at least another series.

LAST 5 FILMS
Three Men And A Baby - 4/5 DVD (12)
City Of God - 5/5 SKY *
The Bank Job - 2/5 SKY *
Gran Torino - 4/5 Blu-Ray *
The Talented Mr Ripley - 3/5 SKY *

* indicates 1st viewing
( ) indicates no of viewings

(in reply to Frank Castle)
Post #: 21
RE: Unfairly Cancelled - Shows that weren't given a chance - 31/1/2006 2:52:33 PM   
Monkeyshaver

quote:

quote:

"You've been shafted!"

You're kidding!? that was a show?!

In the final round of the quiz the two remaining contestants decided whether to share the price money or shaft their opponent & keep it all. If they both shared they both got 50% of the prize money, if one shafted & the other shared the one who shafted got all the cash & if they both shafted neither of them got anything. This lead to many priceless quips from RKS such as "I can't believe she shafted you!", "I really thought you were going to get shafted by him!" etc etc. He had a brilliant thrusting hand motion when asking the immortal question "Will you share or shaft?"Alas it only lasted a couple of episodes.

Monkeyshaver is currently watching Doctor Who on the office TV.

(in reply to beebs_)
Post #: 22
RE: Unfairly Cancelled - Shows that weren't given a chance - 31/1/2006 3:22:23 PM   
Blunderbuss

quote:

ORIGINAL: HIGHLANDER

The Handler was an police drama series about undercover cops starring Joe Pantoliamo in the title role.It aired in the UK in January 2004 but soon it got pushed back to a crap time and only lasted one season. It really was a very good show with good guest stars across the series including Lou Diamond Phillips, Peter 'Robocop' Weller, Burt Young and Mike Starr.
It's easily as good as Without a Trace and i would've liked to have seen at least another series.

It would appear that ITV 3 & 4 have bought every unsuccessful, one season, US TV show they could find, because both this and Now & Again are being rerun on these two channels at the moment......I guess they were cheap to pick up and the powers that be are counting on no-one having seen them before.

Oh, and adding to the list of unfailry cancelled shows there's Murder One, which was killed off after two series because it was believed that American TV audiences in the mid-90's wouldn't follow a single narrative arc over a whole season (hello? '24' anyone?) and also saw the unfair dismissal of the excellent Daniel Benzali after Season One.

And speaking of Steven Bochco productions, which Murder One was, there's the infamous musical series, Cop Rock, (wisely cancelled) and his latest one series wonder 'Over There, now showing on Sky (good, but not great).

< Message edited by Blunderbuss -- 31/1/2006 3:34:04 PM >

"oh you don't want to shoot him. You'll just make him mad"

(in reply to HIGHLANDER)
Post #: 23
RE: Unfairly Cancelled - Shows that weren't given a chance - 31/1/2006 3:23:10 PM   
Jose Chungs Doomsday

Mellinnium: Terry O'quinn and Lance Henrikson were a great duo. The 3rd season was awful but still had a lot of potential.

This is who we are.

Post #: 24
RE: Unfairly Cancelled - Shows that weren't given a chance - 31/1/2006 3:31:05 PM   
My Life in Pictures

Two Guys and Girl - Okay it lasted four seasons but come on you can't leave us on a cliffhanger!

Firefly - Simply amazing, I want season 2 now!

Boomtown - Fantastic first season. Could easily be better than anything on now.

Spider-Man (3D MTV Series) - I really liked this show. Gave me a nice Spidey fix between the two movies. Some great episodes.

I hope not but:

Arrested Development - Please do not cancel this show. Easily the best three seasons of a comedy show ever.

(in reply to Jose Chungs Doomsday)
Post #: 25
RE: Unfairly Cancelled - Shows that weren't given a chance - 31/1/2006 3:31:55 PM   
sharkboy

Personally, I would have loved to have seen more Murder One (especially if they brought back Daniel Benzali to play Ted Hoffman again).  For it's time, it was head and shoulders above most US drama with its groundbreaking idea of a simgle storyline per season (long before 24!), terrific performances (especially from Benzali and Tucci) and edge-of-seat drama.  2 seasons was never enough...

Jack & Bobby was another superb show that didn't get the kudos it deserved.  Although the title referred not to the Kennedys but to the fictional McCallisters, it was firmly rooted in the political arena, telling the tale of Bobby McCallister, a future president of the USA, by way of flashbacks to his teen years in the present day and his life with his brother Jack.  It was Thomas Schlamme's first project after leaving the West Wing with Aaron Sorkin and had all the makings of an equally intelligent drama, but dwindling viewing figures sounded its death toll.  I don't even think it was picked up by any UK broadcaster (please correct me if I'm wrong).

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

Post #: 26
RE: Unfairly Cancelled - Shows that weren't given a chance - 31/1/2006 3:33:46 PM   
beebs_

I never did get into Millennium. I just saw a few episodes. I didn't know what happened to the character until he turned up in The X Files.

"Paramasturbatory"?

Post #: 27
RE: Unfairly Cancelled - Shows that weren't given a chance - 31/1/2006 3:37:40 PM   
tastes_like_antelope

Ed and Third Watch: Not so much cancelled, but were treated badly by Channel 4, often shown mid morning whenever the schools shows were off, and often jumping from season to season without explanation or conclusions.

Post #: 28
RE: Unfairly Cancelled - Shows that weren't given a chance - 31/1/2006 3:58:36 PM   
hammerhead

so many Classics series cancelled before their time including...

Farscape - simply one of the most fantastic and imaginative series around. As mentioned above peacekeeper Wars as good as it was seemed rushed trying to cram in 22 episodes into two hours. And the sickening thing was the sci-fi Channel kept the inferior Stargate running and cancelling Farscape even though they had originally agreed to a two-year run (that being the 4th and 5th season) 

Firefly - another truly great series that was just too imaginative and different for Fox to market properly, give it a chance to gain an audience and inevitably cancelled way too soon!

Space above and beyond - what I would do to see this resurrected! Another Fox cancellation of an amazing series that could have only gotten better and better. You must own this on DVD. In fact you should own all of these series on DVD that I have mentioned!

Dark skies  - I really loved this conspiracy theory series and was the first time I was gutted by a TV cancellation if I recall correctly.

Crusade  - just as this series was getting going it was given the chop .  JMS had already proven himself with the fantastic Babylon 5 so God knows why they didn't give it a chance to develop, gain an audience?

Dark Angel- admittedly the writers lost the plot during the second season and I wonder how much was to do with the September 11th bombings of the World Trade Centre? suddenly you couldn't have a storyline about a secret government genetic military experiment. That would just be anti-American. So the focus moved away from that giving the show monster of the week buffy-esque mutants and the conspiracy shifted to a secret organisation. It will seemed very rushed and last minute to me. Anyway dark Angel was still cancelled too early.

I noticed nobody has said Star Trek enterprise LOL

I know now with certainty who I am. But I'll be damned if I'll ever know the point. And now all I can ask is, "who was he?" And "who was she?" And "what was the point? "

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 29
RE: Unfairly Cancelled - Shows that weren't given a chance - 31/1/2006 4:01:06 PM   
hammerhead

quote:

I never did get into Millennium. I just saw a few episodes. I didn't know what happened to the character until he turned up in The X Files.

There were three seasons made of Millennium And as I recall it finished off the story from the season three finale in the X Files episode you mentioned

< Message edited by hammerhead -- 31/1/2006 4:13:04 PM >

I know now with certainty who I am. But I'll be damned if I'll ever know the point. And now all I can ask is, "who was he?" And "who was she?" And "what was the point? "

(in reply to beebs_)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> Unfairly Cancelled - Shows that weren't given a chance Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI