Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Utter trite.

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Utter trite. Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Utter trite. - 11/12/2009 9:38:24 AM   
richiemoomoo

Being a Media teacher, I can appreciate the quirky film but jeez, this was awful. Appalling CGI (Apart from 'the face'), acting as wooden as my leg (I don't have a wooden leg but for comedy's sake, let's say I do) and lacking in any charisma (like Bernard Manning). Don't waste your time.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 31
Utter trite. - 11/12/2009 9:41:14 AM   
richiemoomoo

I heave at the thought of seeing the film again. God I hope no one buys it for me on Dvd when it comes out.

< Message edited by richiemoomoo -- 11/12/2009 9:43:10 AM >

Post #: 32
RE: Thinking too far outside 'The Box' - 12/12/2009 2:31:06 PM   
Gretzky

quote:

ORIGINAL: klen13

A huge number of elements of the movie are just too coincedental to be believeable, ruining whatever authenticity it could have had. The strange student in Diaz's class, Diaz and Marsden both losing their jobs on the same day the box enters their lives. Five minutes into it and I was already sighing.

Did you spectacularly miss the nosebleed Cameron Diaz's headteacher had..?! They were both being manipulated in order to make them focus on the box. Criticise all you like but not that particular point when it's clear to anyone following the story there was a lot of psychic trickery going on.

~ Formerly Ash_Boomstick
Female Film Fan

Post #: 33
RE: Thinking too far outside 'The Box' - 13/12/2009 2:07:48 AM   
MI Cruise

Jeez there seem to be so many people who hate this movie.
I really wanted to see after I watched the trailer two months ago, and I still do even with most people saying its shit.
I think I heard one radio reviewer call it the worst film of this year, he must seriously be blind, as there have been so much shit this year just like every year, Street Fighter: LOCL and Underworld 3 as some examples, it appears people are only laying into this movie because it was being hyped quite a bit, when a movie is expected to succeed loads of people wanna find flaws in it and tear it to shred, but a movie that you are already expecting to be rubbish from the beginning you dont really say much about.

I might be going to watch this tonight.

www.letterboxd.com/micruise1/films/

(in reply to Gretzky)
Post #: 34
- 14/12/2009 9:42:29 PM   
cracked actor

Avoid

Post #: 35
Thin Storyline + Added Weirdness != Good Film - 17/12/2009 10:23:53 AM   
charly_whiskus

That Empire rated this 4 stars when almost all of the other reviews rated it 1 made this a must see. Hum.

The basic story is painfully simple. A decision is required about whether or not to use 'The Box'. If it is used, a second decision must be made. That's it. No really, that really is it. It's pretty obvious in both cases what decision will be made, the outcome is heavily signposted so there is zero drama when it happens.

Everything else, adds nothing. It is set in 1976. Why? There is no update to later and I assume it is mainly so we can enjoy the fashion/ decor thus distracting us from the total absence of empathy for the characters. There is lots of weirdness, some scary bits and I jumped twice. But by far the biggest fright was the fear I may never get back the 115 minutes this film lasted.

Post #: 36
good but not a classic - 17/12/2009 10:31:25 AM   
dfooster

@ rossabroad. say what you like about phantom menace or attack of the clones but revenge of the sith was a very good star wars film, and deserved high marks, and if people spent less time jumping on bandwagons rather than watching the film they may choose to change their opinion on that one.

anyway as for the box, i have to say it had me intrigued most of the way through but then fell a little flat at the end. the ending without giving anything away will maybe suit a european audience more than an american one which is maybe why it flopped a bit over there, but i quite enjoyed it. so going on empire ratings scheme i would say this film was 'good' so its a 3 stars then.

Post #: 37
disapointing - 28/12/2009 9:59:00 PM   
gzus

It's important to state that this is no Donnie Darko, yet Kelly delivers an intense dark thriller about the consequences of our actions. Paranoia brews at every turn as things are n't what they seem. This is film that plays with you throughout throwing wonderfully wierd concepts, images and scenes that involve a student provoking Diaz to take off her shoes, lots of people getting nose bleeds, and a zombie-like Father Christmas. For a film that is based on a short story and Twilight Zone episode, it's probably to clever and complex for its own good. Arlington Steward is a creepy 'bad guy', but he's only a Jigsaw-clone from the Saw films, the difference being that he possesses supernatural powers, afteral they both play God. Diaz is excellent, Marsden weaker, harder to relate to, reflecting the ever increasing confusion of this unbelievable conspiracy-laden plot that everyone is connected to including Nasa bosses and even the babysitter.

It's where the film loses credibility and loses its realism with ideas of mind-control, though gets props with its 70's setting. The theme that humans are predictable, in that the button will be pressed and the consequences closer to home than one thinks keeps Arlington's experiment running on its own. However, with an over long last quarter, (this film clocks in at close to 2 hours) and the ending throwing up one last decision involving the family's neglected son, this becomes a depressing film, if not annoyingly disappointing.

Post #: 38
disapointing - 28/12/2009 9:59:03 PM   
gzus

It's important to state that this is no Donnie Darko, yet Kelly delivers an intense dark thriller about the consequences of our actions. Paranoia brews at every turn as things are n't what they seem. This is film that plays with you throughout throwing wonderfully wierd concepts, images and scenes that involve a student provoking Diaz to take off her shoes, lots of people getting nose bleeds, and a zombie-like Father Christmas. For a film that is based on a short story and Twilight Zone episode, it's probably to clever and complex for its own good. Arlington Steward is a creepy 'bad guy', but he's only a Jigsaw-clone from the Saw films, the difference being that he possesses supernatural powers, afteral they both play God. Diaz is excellent, Marsden weaker, harder to relate to, reflecting the ever increasing confusion of this unbelievable conspiracy-laden plot that everyone is connected to including Nasa bosses and even the babysitter.

It's where the film loses credibility and loses its realism with ideas of mind-control, though gets props with its 70's setting. The theme that humans are predictable, in that the button will be pressed and the consequences closer to home than one thinks keeps Arlington's experiment running on its own. However, with an over long last quarter, (this film clocks in at close to 2 hours) and the ending throwing up one last decision involving the family's neglected son, this becomes a depressing film, if not annoyingly disappointing.

Post #: 39
- 7/1/2010 4:10:00 AM   
nc_jj

Bizarre and often thrilling. No Donnie Darko, but it is a great effort.

Post #: 40
my kind of movie ! - 10/1/2010 12:30:12 AM   
jerkyjudas

i liked this film a lot and will definitely be seeing it again soon. it was genuinely creepy in places in the first half of the film. my only dissapointment was it didn't pan out to be the film i thought it was gonna be, lacking the rich depth of lynch. i thought it could've been longer and weirder

Post #: 41
my kind of movie ! - 10/1/2010 12:30:13 AM   
jerkyjudas

i liked this film a lot and will definitely be seeing it again soon. it was genuinely creepy in places in the first half of the film. my only dissapointment was it didn't pan out to be the film i thought it was gonna be, lacking the rich depth of lynch. i thought it could've been longer and weirder

Post #: 42
RE: my kind of movie ! - 18/1/2010 9:56:06 AM   
David Somerset

Richard Kelly cooked up a devilishly delicious dinner with Donnie Darko, but shat in the custard with Southland Tales. Now, with The Box, heís filled the apple pie with pencils, and thatís just stupid. Marks for originality I suppose, and I look forward to the next serving, but Iíll be taking a packet of biscuits with me just in case.

In retrospect that was an ill-advised extended metaphor, but Iíve written it now and I canít just delete it can I?

(in reply to jerkyjudas)
Post #: 43
- 3/4/2010 9:20:46 AM   
teo

simple and naive...without Cameron and this worthy atmosphere this would be a bad bad film....

Post #: 44
- 3/4/2010 9:20:47 AM   
teo

simple and naive...without Cameron and this worthy atmosphere this would be a bad bad film....

Post #: 45
Chilling But I Hated The Ending. - 6/4/2010 11:41:29 AM   
joanna likes films

The Box was a chilling, edge of your seat film directed by the man who bought Donnie Darko to life. Cameron Diaz, James Marsden and Frank Langella bring excellent pefomances to grab the viewer's attention. It's a terrifying ride especially with the nose bleeding zombies. But the most annoying thing about this is the ending. I found it offensive and it angered me, I won't say what happens and I'm sure it's only me that felt that way but it ruined the whole film to me. So apart from that, The Box is a good thrilling film.

Post #: 46
Chilling But I Hated The Ending. - 6/4/2010 11:41:33 AM   
joanna likes films

The Box was a chilling, edge of your seat film directed by the man who bought Donnie Darko to life. Cameron Diaz, James Marsden and Frank Langella bring excellent pefomances to grab the viewer's attention. It's a terrifying ride especially with the nose bleeding zombies. But the most annoying thing about this is the ending. I found it offensive and it angered me, I won't say what happens and I'm sure it's only me that felt that way but it ruined the whole film to me. So apart from that, The Box is a good thrilling film.

Post #: 47
Confusing but powerful film - 11/4/2010 10:15:45 PM   
djphilips

Those of you familiar with Richard Kelly's work will know what to expect: unexplainingly complex plot mixed with thought-provoking premise. The Box offers just that, and I am here to tell you now that you are not meant to fully understand the film. Most of it, yes, but not all.
But The Box is an ultimately very rewarding experience as it is probably the most psychological experience of the past few years. It will seriously get you thinking. Moreover, Diaz, Marsden and especially Langella deliver brilliant performances. Their best work easily.
There is no denying that this is an immensley confusing film, but it is powerful as it is mind-boggling. As it is, I don't find myself recommending it to the general public, but only to those avid movie-goers who want to watch some seriously good stuff, even if they don't get entertained as they hoped they would.

Post #: 48
shocking! - 17/4/2010 12:06:25 AM   
brutalbrickell

this possibly the worst film out 2rent at this time ever! It is just painfull 2watch i did not enjoy at all. Acting woz ok but accents r so so terriable. I urge every1 not 2rent or buy this. Save ur money.

Post #: 49
shocking! - 17/4/2010 12:09:11 AM   
brutalbrickell

this possibly the worst film out 2rent at this time ever! It is just painfull 2watch i did not enjoy at all. Acting woz ok but accents r so so terriable. I urge every1 not 2rent or buy this. Save ur money.

Post #: 50
RE: The Box - 24/4/2010 11:28:10 PM   
Indio

Its by no means a masterpiece, and maybe giving it four stars is a bit generous, but I certainly think this was a better film than Southland Tales, although like Southland it tries to cram in too many ideas. Its nowhere near as bad as some of the reviews on here, maybe the fact that it doesn't build up to some awe inspiring crowd pleasing finale doesn't do it any favours.

'Think about the future.'

Post #: 51
RE: The Box - 25/4/2010 1:59:45 AM   
Edward Nygma

The Box is a strange one, it's like a bad film and a good film all rolled up into one weird weird creation!

It's amazing in that it works really well even with its unintentionally funny bits as a kind of full length Twilight Zone episode. I for one enjoyed the film and found it really original and...mad, in a good way. It's like a David Lynch film with a completely different pace and tone...weird.

But yeah I think The Box deserves its 4 stars for daring to be out-there and succeeding gloriously...and inexplicably. Kelly back on form. Oh, and the core story is actually not too difficult to figure out if you think about it for a bit...it's just so ridiculous you probably won't even think to go there lol

Ben. Affleck.

(in reply to Indio)
Post #: 52
RE: The Box - 25/4/2010 1:42:57 PM   
robwillphill

Damn, this was so awful! I thought I would like it at least a bit (given Empire's review) but did not realise it was that bad. Whatever happens, dont touch The Box.

3/10

http://youtube.com/audience

Check out my latest films:
- http://youtu.be/Z2zrRi06Rb0
- http://dai.ly/fSojJ3

---------------------------------------------------

Stewie: We're playing house
Lois: But that boy's tied up
Stewie: It's Roman Polanski's house

(in reply to Edward Nygma)
Post #: 53
RE: The Box - 26/4/2010 6:17:39 PM   
hampstead bandit

well I am swimming against the tide of popular opinion

I really liked "The box"

I am a big fan of Richard Kelly's work and thoroughly enjoyed both "Donnie Darko" and "Southland Tales" (an incredibly messy film that really opens up on further viewings)

the introduction of the Alien theme in The Box really surprised me, and added another layer of depth

in fact I thought it was so good, I went out and bought "The Box" on Blu-Ray the day after renting it on SD DVD

4/5

< Message edited by hampstead bandit -- 26/4/2010 6:18:13 PM >

(in reply to robwillphill)
Post #: 54
Bizarre but cool - 20/6/2010 1:57:59 AM   
Big Braveheart

Good wee film, a bit weird but worth checking out. Diaz, Marsden and Langella especially give good performances and Richard Kelly does a
great job of adapting Richard Matheson's short story. A possible future cult classic. Nowhere near as bad as some have said!

Post #: 55
Richard Kelly - 21/6/2010 11:22:40 PM   
musicmam10

I love this director!! Richard Kelly talks first day of principal photography, the rush of filmmaking, and his favorite director moment! http://bit.ly/dht0kC

Post #: 56
Like a packet of Revels - 2/7/2010 1:06:37 PM   
Sparkykelly69

This was a really good film until I got one of those horrible coffee sweet moments. I really loved the first half of the movie, the tension building slowly, all lovely like the chewy caramel & chocolate revels, and then flood in the coffee sweet moments. such a mixed bag of moments, it was like watching a montage of half the movies in my dvd collection. going from general chiller, to sci fi, slight horror nods, and, then back again. I think the 3 stars is enough for this film, if, like other comments here, the ending was a slight bit more up beat, or exhausting, and not just leaving the audience scratching their heads this would then definitely be worthy of at least 4 stars. Fingers crossed for Richard Kelly's next project. We can only wait and see.

Post #: 57
Half a film - 7/7/2010 6:46:07 PM   
madkingsoup

In going beyond the original story, Kelly has managed to give us only half a film. Presumably the original tale works fine as there is not even a hint of explanation. Kelly, in fleshing out the explanation, has failed to finish the job off.

I loved the paranoid tension and even the ending provided some closure for Diaz's and Marsden's story, but this was all overshadowed by leaving Langella high and dry and crying out for an explanation. And I suppose if anyone is daft enough to give Kelly some more money to come up with a sequel, all we'll get is another strange flight of fancy; a cross between Tales of the Unexpected and 1001 Arabian Nights; an unsettling nightmare left hanging at the end.

This could have been really good; instead it's self-indulgence on the part of Richard Kelly.

Post #: 58
UNDECIDED........ - 12/7/2010 8:39:35 AM   
boostergold

Watched this last night 'cos we both fancied it despite negative reviews and I'm not sure now what I think of it. I enjoyed it solidly and was properly drawn in until Marsdens library choice and then I knew where it was going and I kind of hoped it wasn't because it gave the film a feeling of being tacked on, yet at the same time it offers an explanation for the red planet. As it all ended I was, oh right then thats it......

Post #: 59
A cult classic that you will either love or hate! - 27/7/2010 12:40:03 PM   
dannyfletch

As a fan of Donnie Darko I was looking forward to seeing this. After missing it on the cinema I took the gamble and bought it on blu-ray and I'm pleased to say I wasn't dissapointed. Marsden and Diaz were both great in their roles as a happily married couple and Frank Langella was suitably creepy as the mysterious Arlington Stewart. The sci-fi twist won't be to everyones taste but I thought it was pretty good. I would say it reminded me of the Twilight Zone with a hint of David Lynch. Definately my cup of tea.

Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Utter trite. Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News††|††Empire Blog††|††Movie Reviews††|††Future Films††|††Features††|††Video Interviews††|††Image Gallery††|††Competitions††|††Forum††|††Magazine††|††Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI