Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Zathura - 31/1/2006 2:58:00 AM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
My film year started with this - 31/1/2006 2:58:01 AM   
applegatejohn

I took my six year old soon to see this, and it was one of those great bonding moments that I'll keep close to my heart and yeah, my son discovered the power of darned fine cinema. Great sounds - listen to the meteor storm! - some wry nods to familial issues nipping in Speilbergs lake, and of course the obligatory special special effects. Phenomenal. Meant as much to me as it did my son. A real treat.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
RE: My film year started with this - 4/2/2006 6:57:03 PM   
DJ Rob C: Mark II!

Saw this today, and loved it!

A bit cliched in lessons and family, but amazing FX and great script meant it was still utter fab! Well worth seeing!

4/5

When Gotham is ashes, you have my permission to die

Third Highest Post Count on the Forum, sad but proud!

(in reply to applegatejohn)
Post #: 3
Zathura - 5/2/2006 10:38:45 AM   
timpeel

Cracking SFX and a rollicking great family film. Saw this Friday and am still buzzing from it! Well worth a look and will appeal to small and big kids.

Post #: 4
Jumanji Lite - 5/2/2006 5:05:50 PM   
Mikehall1970

I took my two kids to see this last night and what a disappointment. Whilst Jumanji, (the film that this a sequel to in everything but name) had originality, suspense and a great sense of humour, Zathura is a stodgy pudding of a movie, lacking all of the above. Although the film contains scenes of moderate fantasy menace (BBFC) there is nothing that makes either kids or grown ups stay hooked - it is a disjointed series of stunts based on the game play. Add plot holes so wide you can put your fist through them and if you take the whole family you'll have spent 30 quid on a cinema trip to be left cold. If you want to see it, wait for the DVD.

Post #: 5
Better than Jumanji - 7/2/2006 7:39:20 PM   
cluesy

This had some great special effects, some touching moments and some great action. The film really absorbs you in its environment. The problems I could see were the dodgy aliens and the older brother who was, as Empire say, emotionless to everything going on. It's a must-see, though.

Post #: 6
Great Fun - 8/2/2006 11:02:35 PM   
Caster

A great sequel, as good as or maybe better than Jumanji, full of great special FX and ideas. It drags a touch in the talky second half but at the end you realise this is important. Highly recommended.

Post #: 7
Great Fun - 8/2/2006 11:03:04 PM   
Caster

A great sequel, as good as or maybe better than Jumanji, full of great special FX and ideas. It drags a touch in the talky second half but at the end you realise this is important. Highly recommended.

Post #: 8
This is how modern kids movies should be made! - 10/2/2006 5:54:40 PM   
Jose Chungs Doomsday

My title says it all! It has all the charm of an 80's kids movie along with the special effects of a modern film. The older brother was dissappointing but the otherwise stellar cast made up for it!

Post #: 9
DECENT - 20/2/2006 3:00:14 PM   
omarx

Went to see it the other day, as a concept and a prmise it was fairly interesting, the budgetary restraines are evident, but all credit to Favreau for making the film as a stage piece, it worked for me. The only setback were the kids, the OLDER one in particular, could have been so much more interesting if they had more able children to play the bickering siblings, budgetary restraines went a bit too far a guess!!!!!

Post #: 10
how awesome?? - 25/2/2006 6:17:36 PM   
sarah 23

*SPOILERS*

I only just saw this film last night with my aunt and uncle but i thought it awesome...great special effects but the zorgons were a bit wierd! the two little kids were great actors and i thought the twist with the stranded astronaught being an older Walter was good too. Dax Shepard anyone? I thought he was great in without a paddle and really really good in this too. also great sound etc etc great family film goes right up there with the goonies and other classic family flicks. being 16 i thought it would be too childish for me but i really did love this film!

Post #: 11
Zathura - 18/3/2006 9:44:20 PM   
premierbaron

Thrilling movie like Jumanji set in space. Brilliant.

Post #: 12
A Good Adventure - 27/3/2006 8:37:25 AM   
cruticus

This is a great film for the family. Although the aliens may be distressing, it still makes this adventure what it really is - a ride. It has its up's and down's, the special effects may not be state of the ark but they are seen believable. The young actors, working with Jon Favreau as director, does a fine job with them, and with putting real energy into the film. Its very similar to Jumanji, but more to do with aliens in space rather than animals in a jungle. Still, little young kids should be scared! Its part of growing up.

Post #: 13
Zathura - 8/11/2006 6:07:22 AM   
Movie Mogul 6

Zathura is basically the same as Jumanji only in space. Again just like Jumanji, it deals with family issues and is a great movie for kids. And just like Jumanji, it lacks in story but makes up for it in great visuals.

Post #: 14
RE: Zathura - 28/1/2007 4:29:07 PM   
rockerjo

Wow! I didnt expect a good movie out of this! When the reviewer Mark Kermode went on and on about the 'Zorgons' about how scary they are. He must be kidding. An overall good movie and definately beats jumanji.

Naruto 2 * * *
Talledaega Nights: Ballad Of Ricky Bobby * * * *
The End Of Evangelion * * * * *
Out Of Time * * * *

"If you were in your office we would be having this conversation face to face"

Post #: 15
Very good - 8/6/2007 12:50:36 PM   
mrdoom14

The excellence of family entertainment.

Post #: 16
- 28/4/2011 2:21:02 PM   
harvestmoon

I like it!

Post #: 17
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Zathura Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI