Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: The Lovely Bores

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: The Lovely Bores Page: <<   < prev  2 3 4 5 [6]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The Lovely Bores - 12/10/2010 2:15:51 AM   
The Todge

quote:

ORIGINAL: BOHEMIANBOB

Mr Nygma,
I haven't even ventured into the insulting and disgusting world of Mr Jackson where raped and murdered children wander around in "heaven" with ridiculous images.

Well given that is what the book was about, what was he supposed to do?  Or maybe you would have preferred the grim reality and we should have had two and a half hours of the camera lingering on her slowly decomposing corpse?

If you;re going to make a point about how bad the film is, then at least make a coherent one.  It's not that much to ask.

THIS..............is God.

(in reply to BOHEMIANBOB)
Post #: 151
RE: The Lovely Bores - 12/10/2010 8:55:49 AM   
BOHEMIANBOB

quote:

ORIGINAL: The Todge

quote:

Mr Nygma,
I haven't even ventured into the insulting and disgusting world of Mr Jackson where raped and murdered children wander around in "heaven" with ridiculous images.

Well given that is what the book was about, what was he supposed to do?  Or maybe you would have preferred the grim reality and we should have had two and a half hours of the camera lingering on her slowly decomposing corpse?

If you;re going to make a point about how bad the film is, then at least make a coherent one.  It's not that much to ask.

Coherent?What?
The Woodsman is about a paedophile(Kevin Bacon) and it is obviously a tough subject matter.You do not see children being molested,but are still connected to the awfulness of the subject matter.
It's called good film making.
Jackson ironically trivialises the subject matter here with his WETA gimmicks(and that's all they are).
His so called speciality ruins the film here.
That is really a difficult thing to do,given that the book was written for him,but he did it.
Writing dire.
Vsuals dire.
Storyline(from a friggin book!) dire.
Acting:Worse than dire.
It's like Monty Python does child murder.
Is that coherent enough for you

Misunderstood.
Don't care.
Have you seen my stolen signature?!

(in reply to The Todge)
Post #: 152
RE: The Lovely Bores - 12/10/2010 11:57:18 AM   
The Todge

quote:

quote:

quote:

Mr Nygma,

No you pretty much lost any coherence at the point you compared The Lovely Bones to The Woodsman.

Post #: 153
RE: The Lovely Bores - 12/10/2010 8:15:26 PM   
Edward Nygma

He's still right though. Lovely Bones is horrendous.

Do you guys seriously like it?

Ben. Affleck.

(in reply to The Todge)
Post #: 154
RE: The Lovely Bores - 12/10/2010 11:33:13 PM   
BOHEMIANBOB

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Mr Nygma,

No you pretty much lost any coherence at the point you compared The Lovely Bones to The Woodsman.

I lost coherence by illustrating how you can film difficult subject matters and convey the sentiment involved without resorting to silly imagery???
It wasn't a direct comparison of the two films-though they both deal with paedophilia,so there is a valid comparison,though again that wasn't the main point.
The Woodsman is a far better film than the Lovely Bones.

Misunderstood.
Don't care.

(in reply to The Todge)
Post #: 155
RE: The Lovely Bores - 12/10/2010 11:35:31 PM   
BOHEMIANBOB

quote:

ORIGINAL: Edward Nygma

I cannot understand the ridiculous assertion that film is any good on any level.
Is it just LOTR fans sticking up for Jackson???
Jackson made Heavenly Creatures,which is the only decent film he's made out of his comfort zone.
This is utter tosh!

Misunderstood.
Don't care.

(in reply to Edward Nygma)
Post #: 156
RE: The Lovely Bores - 12/10/2010 11:44:00 PM   
The Todge

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Mr Nygma,

I lost coherence by illustrating how you can film difficult subject matters and convey the sentiment involved without resorting to silly imagery???
It wasn't a direct comparison of the two films-though they both deal with paedophilia,so there is a valid comparison,though again that wasn't the main point.

The "silly imagery" is a problem inheirited from the book.  Jackson isn't trvialising anything.  He's not making a film about paedophillia, he's making an adaptation of a book.  And the book isn't about paedophillia. Hence neither is the film.

There is no valid comparison between The Lovely Bones and The Woodsman just because they both have a child molester in them.

quote:

I didn't love it.  It's main problem is that Jackson shows too much of the in between too quickly.  It's all just piled in there one after the other.  So that come the midway point, there's nothing really more that he can show us there, and it drags a bit.  And some of the performances are a bit static.

That said, I thought Tucci was brilliant and that the serial killer aspect was genuinely executed with a lot of suspense. 

It's not a great film by any stretch, but I've seen far far worse.

Post #: 157
RE: The Lovely Bores - 13/10/2010 1:16:19 AM   
BOHEMIANBOB

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Mr Nygma,

The "silly imagery" is a problem inheirited from the book.  Jackson isn't trvialising anything.  He's not making a film about paedophillia, he's making an adaptation of a book.  And the book isn't about paedophillia. Hence neither is the film.

There is no valid comparison between The Lovely Bones and The Woodsman just because they both have a child molester in them.

quote:

I didn't love it.  It's main problem is that Jackson shows too much of the in between too quickly.  It's all just piled in there one after the other.  So that come the midway point, there's nothing really more that he can show us there, and it drags a bit.  And some of the performances are a bit static.

That said, I thought Tucci was brilliant and that the serial killer aspect was genuinely executed with a lot of suspense. 

It's not a great film by any stretch, but I've seen far far worse.

Thank God or whoever for some sanity at the end of your post!!!!
You are the King or Queen of understatement:"some of the performances are a bit static"
"Silly imagery" CANNOT be adapted from a bbok,this is Jackson's call-like he changed the LOTR books in certain places.
It's called artistic license.
And to anwer your point,now it wasn't supposed to be a film about paedophilia,it was about a family's struggle to overcome the most terrible situation it can face-but due to Jackson,it failed miserably and that is why the film flopped and we are even having these discussions.
I will make a direct comparison-Kevin Bacon,as the monster here,could have been better than Tucci's cliched garbage and possibly,though this is a huge stretch,made for a better film.
Or Jackson didn't direct it,that may have been even better.

Misunderstood.
Don't care.

(in reply to The Todge)
Post #: 158
RE: The Lovely Bores - 13/10/2010 2:34:07 AM   
The Todge

quote:

Thank God or whoever for some sanity at the end of your post!!!!
You are the King or Queen of understatement:"some of the performances are a bit static"
"Silly imagery" CANNOT be adapted from a bbok,this is Jackson's call-like he changed the LOTR books in certain places.
It's called artistic license.
And to anwer your point,now it wasn't supposed to be a film about paedophilia,it was about a family's struggle to overcome the most terrible situation it can face-but due to Jackson,it failed miserably and that is why the film flopped and we are even having these discussions.
I will make a direct comparison-Kevin Bacon,as the monster here,could have been better than Tucci's cliched garbage and possibly,though this is a huge stretch,made for a better film.
Or Jackson didn't direct it,that may have been even better.

Oh dear. First of all, your reaction to this film is bordering on hysterical.

Secondly,  imagery can be completely inhehrited from descrptions in a book.  Jackson didn't copy it page for page obviously and did some of his own stuff, but it fits within what the book was about.  Maybe you could clarify why you think the imagery is silly?

And again you;ve missed the point, it wasn't about the family's struggle.  It was about Susie and to a larger extent the author of the book.  It's about turning that sort of trauma into a thing of  beauty in an attempt at some sort of catharsis.  Reclaiming something that was taken from you, rising up above it.

Possibly something is lost in the translation from book to film because it's such a personal book. 

I'm struggling with your point about Kevin Bacon as I'm not really sure what you;re getting at there.

I think Jackson has become a victim of his excesses to an extent (King Kong is certainly proof of that) and I think there's still an elemnt of that here.  There are ways I can see it could have been done better.  But I didn't find it offensively bad.

Post #: 159
RE: The Lovely Bores - 13/10/2010 9:14:20 AM   
BOHEMIANBOB

Hysterical?Moi?Nah,
You are missing the point of the book,which is the point of the story-it is NOT about Susie.
Back to your question about the imagery-in the book there is a huge amount of imagery/symbolism written by Sebold.
As books go,it seems fairly decent to me:
The porch light represents Susie being away and the hope that one day she will return and it can be turned off,or the family will recover her body,gain closure and then turn it off.
The snow globe represents Susie to her dad.
The daffodils represent Susie herself.
The ships in the bottles represent a time when Susie was loved and needed.
The iceicle represents different things to different people.In reality it is just frozen water that will melt away.To Susie it represents a softer way to die.To Harvey it represents death itself.

This imagery is implied and subtle.You work with it.It adds to the book.
Jackson bombards us with LSD induced imagery that just looks like WETA had a car boot sale.
His use of painfully obvious imagery-roses represent innocence is cringeworthy.When emotions should be strong,he pulls out crappy special effects.In other words,the key aspect of his role as a director,even his forte,was to build on what was already written-he just pisses on it.I can't help but feel that pre-LOTR(again as good a book adaptation as you'll see) he would have made a better effort.

Even the writing and tone changes he made were poor:
The parents relationship is a side-show now,and an embarassing one.We feel nothing for them here.
Susie is in Purgatory,not in heaven.
Holly is now a victim??Why?

You can like this film of course,but my core point is that there was already a better version of this story written.Perhaps if there was no big budget for effects it could have been better.It is has no soul,and that is the worst irony given the subject matter.

It is a book about recovering from pain.
it is a film solely about pain.

Misunderstood.
Don't care.

(in reply to The Todge)
Post #: 160
RE: The Lovely Bores - 13/10/2010 9:44:55 AM   
Rgirvan44

Why do you type like that BB? Something against paragraphs?

As for the film - it was fine. Some sweet moments, nice performances, but it really wasn't about anything as such. I don't think even Jackson was pleased by it given how long it took to be releasesd, and how he was during the Oscar campagin.

He pretty much already made this film in the amazing Heavenly Creatures.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

Post #: 161
RE: The Lovely Bores - 13/10/2010 10:51:20 AM   
BOHEMIANBOB

I'm a sentences person,not a paragraphs person!
Actually,i don't really like typing,i prefer to be handwritten.
Agree with Heavenly Creatures though.

Misunderstood.
Don't care.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 162
- 3/11/2010 12:05:51 PM   
reminn

Fair.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 163
RE: Peter jackson does it again!!! - 4/12/2010 1:59:18 PM   
Jeevan Singh

It was good but i don't thing it deserves 4 stars!! However i loved the cast!!

(in reply to genejoke)
Post #: 164
- 16/1/2011 9:35:09 PM   
ajgr1983

Disapointed.

Post #: 165
RE: The Lovely Bores - 20/2/2011 10:14:02 PM   
MuckyMuckMan

Watched it tonight for the first time, and I agree with both sides of the argument. For me it was a film I both enjoyed and disliked at the same time. Performance wise, Tucci and Ronan were the star players. I can't fault their performances at all. Ronan is a talent to keep an eye on for the future. Plot wise the story doesn't quite flow but all the same kept me intrigued for the full duration. (SPOILERS) As mentioned before, there were a couple of silly bits that left me going 'what the hell' such as how the hell did he get the safe in his car when he couldn't even get it out of his car without help. Another thing that annoyed me was the ending, I haven't read the book so i don't know how faithfulthe film is to the novel but I would have liked Tucci to have been caught and Susie's remains returned to her family for burial and ultimate closure for her family and ultimately herself.

3/5

My Film Collection:
http://www.invelos.com/dvdcollection.aspx/MuckyMuckMan
Last 5 films seen
The Impossible 3.5/5
Stoker 4/5
Thor: Dark World 3.5/5
The Wolfman (1941) 4/5
All is Lost 5/5

Post #: 166
RE: The Lovely Bores - 23/2/2011 1:37:32 PM   
londonnut

quote:

ORIGINAL: MuckyMuckMan

I haven't read the book so i don't know how faithful the film is to the novel but I would have liked Tucci to have been caught and Susie's remains returned to her family for burial and ultimate closure for her family and ultimately herself.

Perfectly sums up why the film fails; if you read the book you'll know the family don't need that kind of simple 'closure' because of "the lovely bones" that are formed by the family coming together again after initially falling apart (with great help from the Gran). You get no sense of that whatsoever from this adaptation.

(in reply to MuckyMuckMan)
Post #: 167
RE: The Lovely Bores - 21/4/2011 4:46:29 PM   
pauljthomas

quote:

ORIGINAL: londonnut

quote:

ORIGINAL: MuckyMuckMan

I haven't read the book so i don't know how faithful the film is to the novel but I would have liked Tucci to have been caught and Susie's remains returned to her family for burial and ultimate closure for her family and ultimately herself.

Perfectly sums up why the film fails; if you read the book you'll know the family don't need that kind of simple 'closure' because of "the lovely bones" that are formed by the family coming together again after initially falling apart (with great help from the Gran). You get no sense of that whatsoever from this adaptation.

Now I haven't read the book so I felt empty when the film ended. The ending of Tucci was a dreadful cop out & the vault in the sink hole made the film incomplete for me. Loved Susan Sarandon in this though, funny performance.

You know how I know your gay? You like Coldplay

BUS WANKERS!!!!

(in reply to londonnut)
Post #: 168
RE: The Lovely Bores - 22/4/2011 6:18:53 PM   
sephiroth7

It was a fucking terrible movie. I'm a fan of PJ but he's spectacularly wide of the mark here. There was one decent scene of tension towards the end but overall I was bored silly. Sooner PJ gets back to Middle Earth the better.

I will never be a memory.

(in reply to pauljthomas)
Post #: 169
RE: Balanced out the average - ha ha - 27/4/2011 12:30:16 AM   
NinjaShortbread212

A short opinionated review by Ninja:

I really liked this film (although it's hard not to where Peter Jackson is involved!). I found myself feeling "sucked in" to the storyline from start to finish and I don't know if that was because it was a sad story or because the emotions in the film were so strong and violent but also captured beautifully in the actors. I found the anger and sadness almost addictive! Well worth the watch.

I haven't read the book yet but after seeing the film I think I will put it on my to-do list!

< Message edited by NinjaShortbread212 -- 28/9/2011 12:43:28 AM >

Art

(in reply to drews)
Post #: 170
Chilling, Sureal and Ambitious storytelling - 24/7/2011 11:46:43 PM   
trainedasninja

The Lovely Bones is essentially an unrewarding experience, in terms of its plot and expectations. It is at times a little too sureal it becomes confusing and plain weird. Ronan's performance is great, as she takes us through pretty but unecessary landscapes in purgatory it is difficult to understand her role. However the film can be forgiven because of its portrayal of the killer who is pure terrifying and adds to some extremely suspenseful moments. Its a shame because the film starts so well. I think less emphasis on the purgatory realm and more on Ronan's character trying to bring her murderer to justice would have given the film greater direction. 3 stars

Post #: 171
RE: Chilling, Sureal and Ambitious storytelling - 28/9/2011 12:37:45 AM   
st3veebee

Finally got around to seeing this tonight. I hadn't read the book but was aware of the storyline and a big fan of everyone involved.

SPOILERS AHEAD

PROS:

-Quite unique and thoroughly courageous.

-Ronan and Tucci stand out performance wise. Her accent may seem a little too bland at times and Tucci treads a very close line to becoming an over-the-top caricature but both performances are believable and at times brilliant.

-Genuinely moving.

-Setting is captured well without going overboard with 70s references.

CONS:

- Bizzarely sudden tone shifts. (Sarandon as the grandmother coming and cleaning the house???)

-Weisz and Wahlberg struggle at times. Wahlberg recovers as the film goes on and has some excellent moments but Weisz leaves no impression at all.

-Oddly cheap looking close ups! Especially during the "hideout" sequence.

-The death/murder scene is not handled well in my opinion: I was left asking far too many questions which in turn took my focus of the film.

-The other side/world was too reminiscent of What dreams may come.

Frankly this film is an utter mess. It has some excellent performances and is overall an emotionally engaging film: but with odd shifts in tone and shaky cineamtography, acting and plot development at times it topples under the weight of its own flaws in the end.

Also who is this aimed at??

Latest Films:

Two days in New York: 4/5

Prometheus: 3.5/5

Abe Lincoln: VH 3/5

Twin Peaks: FWWM 3.5/5

(in reply to trainedasninja)
Post #: 172
RE: The Lovely Bores - 28/9/2011 12:51:55 AM   
thetruth

quote:

Hysterical?Moi?Nah,
You are missing the point of the book,which is the point of the story-it is NOT about Susie.
Back to your question about the imagery-in the book there is a huge amount of imagery/symbolism written by Sebold.
As books go,it seems fairly decent to me:
The porch light represents Susie being away and the hope that one day she will return and it can be turned off,or the family will recover her body,gain closure and then turn it off.
The snow globe represents Susie to her dad.
The daffodils represent Susie herself.
The ships in the bottles represent a time when Susie was loved and needed.
The iceicle represents different things to different people.In reality it is just frozen water that will melt away.To Susie it represents a softer way to die.To Harvey it represents death itself.

This imagery is implied and subtle.You work with it.It adds to the book.
Jackson bombards us with LSD induced imagery that just looks like WETA had a car boot sale.
His use of painfully obvious imagery-roses represent innocence is cringeworthy.When emotions should be strong,he pulls out crappy special effects.In other words,the key aspect of his role as a director,even his forte,was to build on what was already written-he just pisses on it.I can't help but feel that pre-LOTR(again as good a book adaptation as you'll see) he would have made a better effort.

Even the writing and tone changes he made were poor:
The parents relationship is a side-show now,and an embarassing one.We feel nothing for them here.
Susie is in Purgatory,not in heaven.
Holly is now a victim??Why?

You can like this film of course,but my core point is that there was already a better version of this story written.Perhaps if there was no big budget for effects it could have been better.It is has no soul,and that is the worst irony given the subject matter.

It is a book about recovering from pain.
it is a film solely about pain.

Another oldie dragged up.
I like this review.

Without love we are dead

Protect children from vile and obscene videos

Post #: 173
RE: The Lovely Bores - 13/10/2011 2:33:36 PM   
moehat

Finally got round to reading the book and then watching the film and have to echo the feeling of disappointment felt by a lot of people. So much important stuff was missed out, especially the relevance of the icicle [because of Susies sister and her boyfriend being so downgraded in importance]. It was summed up by my partner saying as we watched it 'how can you read a book like this?' and I replied that it was nothing like the book I had just read. It wasn't The Silence of the Lambs but a very sweet book about how people cope and move on when terrible things happen to them..'that which does not kill us etc. Reading the book I felt it would be a film more like American Beauty [or Let the Right One In], and expected more narration by 'Susie. Was probably aimed at too young an audience.

(in reply to thetruth)
Post #: 174
4 stars?? - 28/11/2011 4:30:19 AM   
pounamuknight

this was not a four star film but three stars at most. however, becoz its peter jackson, empire is blinded or kissing his butt.

Post #: 175
Trite, Bleak And Oblique - 14/5/2012 11:18:53 AM   
blaud

For a film that looks so beautiful and features some excellent performances (most notably on the parts of Ronan and Tucci), it's a real shame that The Lovely Bones has so little to offer beyond its' pretty eye-candy. A darkly-themed supernatural drama of sorts, I'm not sure whether it's the fault of the novel, or the fault of the production staff, but for a film that concerns itself with such a mysterious, abstract topic, there's surprisingly little depth to be found here. A rather straightforward plot plays out in a fresh spin on the situation, but this spin isn't given nearly enough prominence as it should have, and as a result, 70% of the film is treading water. In addition to this, it's overlong, and perhaps would deserve an additional star if the running time had been trimmed by a half hour, but as it is, it's an underdeveloped, underwritten, beautiful looking-yes, but also vacuous drama film that may be something you haven't seen before, but surely someone could do it better than this?

Post #: 176
Utter beauty, imagination, and soar. - 22/5/2012 4:05:28 AM   
YouWillBeUnprepared

It was awesome to see so many familiar faces together in one movie, it was like an awkward family reunion. The heaven scenes were amazingly beautiful, like you really were slipping away. My happy place on screen. The music was also very effective, and just lovely. The only thing that lingers is the pace-this could've done better with David Fincher directing- but then again, wouldn't everything?

Post #: 177
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 4 5 [6]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: The Lovely Bores Page: <<   < prev  2 3 4 5 [6]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI