Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Northern Ireland

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Off Topic >> RE: Northern Ireland Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Northern Ireland - 10/12/2010 12:38:57 PM   
simonmckergan1

I've checked JC.  I can't find it any where!  Hopefully QFT will be showing it soon.

As you can see, my young apprentice, your friends have failed. Now witness the firepower of this fully ARMED and OPERATIONAL battle station!

(in reply to jcthefirst)
Post #: 151
RE: Northern Ireland - 10/12/2010 12:42:21 PM   
jcthefirst

Just checked. It's on 6.45 every night this week through to Thursday.

@Jonny_C85

My Movie Blog | My Other Various Rantings Blog

(in reply to simonmckergan1)
Post #: 152
RE: Northern Ireland - 10/12/2010 1:04:42 PM   
Harry Lime

quote:

ORIGINAL: sharkboy

And to be fair to him, the Beeb article has simplified what he actually said, which was laden with caveats:

quote:

The film 'Your Highness' returned a direct spend to the Northern Ireland economy of approximately 12 million for an investment of some 115 million. Series 1 of 'Game of Thrones' is anticipated to return a direct spend to the local economy of approximately 17 million for an investment of 16 million. If series 1 proves successful, the potential exists for production to continue on up to seven series at the Paint Hall, which could equate to a total direct spend in the local economy of an estimated 140 million for an investment of some 11 million. It is necessary to understand that the decision by HBO to commission the second series of 'Game of Thrones' could be made as early as April next year.

Still, in these times any inward investment has to be seen as a good thing, and there is no doubt that the NI economy is getting a pretty healthy return on its money from these productions.  The Paint Hall is well on the way to establishing itself as a prime contender for any studio looking for a huge indoor set with a steady supply of skilled workers. Long may it continue!

Funnily enough, the better half and I visited Castle Ward to take in some nature at the weekend and unwittingly stumbled upon the Game of Thrones sets. We spoke to a member of staff there and she told us that it was a HBO production starring Sean Penn and that the crew had been there since August. I would have been way more excited if she had told me that Sharpe was there. Senn Penn has a face like a bruised turnip and hair made of cobwebs and moss.

Either way, with the economy in the state it is, eight-hundred part-time/ temporary jobs can only be viewed as a good thing.

"People think I have an interesting walk. Hell, I'm just trying to hold my gut in."

If I get there early will it be the right time
our heaven is just waiting so put your hand into mine.

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 153
RE: Northern Ireland - 10/12/2010 1:17:40 PM   
borstal

quote:

ORIGINAL: jcthefirst

Ugh,I hate the Christmas market. I made to go every year, but when I ask for a reason why all I get is a 'you just have to.'

Mrs Borstal keeps requesting (moaning) for us to go the Xmas market in Manchester because 'its nice'. I think its boring, crowded and expensive.

"Can you imagine the satisfaction of slamming that camping cunt Scott with a missile while sitting in Costa?" - Chief

http://www.redbubble.com/people/borstal
http://letterboxd.com/borstal/

(in reply to jcthefirst)
Post #: 154
RE: Northern Ireland - 10/12/2010 2:03:31 PM   
simonmckergan1

quote:

ORIGINAL: jcthefirst

Just checked. It's on 6.45 every night this week through to Thursday.

Nice one!

As you can see, my young apprentice, your friends have failed. Now witness the firepower of this fully ARMED and OPERATIONAL battle station!

(in reply to jcthefirst)
Post #: 155
RE: Northern Ireland - 11/12/2010 3:45:21 PM   
Rebenectomy

This could have gone in the charities thread, but as we're NI based and all of the charities involved have some sort of local link I thought I'd post it here. My friends and I run a voluntary fund raising group, that picks a charity each year to fund raise for. We've a poll open on our blog for the 2011 charity if any of you would like to vote:

http://nicetobeniceni.blogspot.com/2010/12/2011-charity-poll.html

Body Hair Beautiful: An Armpits for August Special
http://www.lipstogetherandblow.com/2013/07/body-beautiful.html

Post #: 156
RE: Northern Ireland - 13/12/2010 7:32:10 PM   
Rebenectomy

I've already mentioned this in Bookworms, but Black Books at the Black Box are having a book swap event on Sunday, 12-5pm. You bring a book or books along, get a token and can swap for any other the other books donated. Seems like a really good idea.

Here's the Facebook Events page for anyone who's interested:

http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=104347742971236&ref=ts

(in reply to Rebenectomy)
Post #: 157
RE: Northern Ireland - 28/12/2010 6:35:30 PM   
Rebenectomy

So who's without water? We're okay here, but a good chunk of my mates are without. Hard to believe a place where it pisses down a huge amount of the time can have a water shortage in winter

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-12082535

Post #: 158
RE: Northern Ireland - 29/12/2010 9:48:17 AM   
sharkboy

Had the burst pipes of thawmageddon on Boxing day, now going through the winter solstice drought.  From frozen pipes to burst pipes to empty pipes all in the space of 10 days.  We're flying out tonight to spend New Year in England, and I can honestly say that I've never been happier to kick the dust from this place off my shoes.

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

Post #: 159
RE: Northern Ireland - 29/12/2010 12:03:57 PM   
simonmckergan1

I've been lucky so far, no water shortage problems for me in North Belfast!

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 160
RE: Northern Ireland - 29/12/2010 12:12:41 PM   
nomimalone

We had no water most of yesterday. It's back on this morning, but due to be turned off again later.
Yet again NI looks like some third world backwater to the rest of the world!

Post #: 161
RE: Northern Ireland - 29/12/2010 12:50:10 PM   
Rebenectomy

Our heatings on the fritz, but that's not too bad as it's a lot warmer, but my bins haven't been emptied in ages, black, brown and kerby boxes. My back garden is beginning to look like a right shit hole and I'm worried about vermin.

(in reply to nomimalone)
Post #: 162
RE: Northern Ireland - 29/12/2010 2:52:28 PM   
Snowth

We've been very lucky so far, haven't lost water yet (will do by the end of the day I'm told) and the only thing that happened during the freeze was that the washing machine died. Everyone else in the family has had to deal with frozen/burst pipes and no water. Passed one of my neighbours washing his cars earlier, my dad thought it wasn't the best time to be doing that.

Post #: 163
RE: Northern Ireland Thread - 17/2/2011 1:34:52 PM   
Twisted Kitty

I'm having a whinge.....

Just had to insure my car for the first time since moving to Belfast.  Fuck me, talk about getting ripped off over here.  In England it cost me 164.  Belfast = 287
Don't even get me started on the price of the price of the frickin oil at 283 for 5 weeks!

"I have a terrible headache, and a sudden craving for chicken wings"

Post #: 164
RE: Northern Ireland Thread - 17/2/2011 6:08:55 PM   
simonmckergan1

I totally agree, I'm not sure why?  Maybe a legacy of the Troubles?  Certainly my car insurance was more expensive in Belfast than it was when I lived in Portstewart.

(in reply to Twisted Kitty)
Post #: 165
RE: Northern Ireland Thread - 17/2/2011 6:22:44 PM   
steelydan3

I think in terms of the Belfast/Portstewart thing, it's a case of your car might be more likely to be stolen/damaged/etc in a city (Belfast) compared to a smaller town (Portstewart). As for insurance in Belfast being sky high, my brother has the same problem, when he was looking for insurance with companies, they were basing it on where he lived. For instance, it was up when he moved houses, even though he was only two streets away-but the post codes changed. His new house was in the postcode that included the Holylands, even though he wasn't in there.

"I've had a bellyful of you and your cheap heroics"

"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell!"

"The distance between insanity and genius is measured only by success"

Post #: 166
RE: Northern Ireland Thread - 17/2/2011 6:47:03 PM   
sharkboy

Unfortunately it's all down to our generous judges.  Claims payments over here were about twice the UK average and people are more likely to claim, so our premiums are much higher to compensate for that.  And yes, it's usually more expensive to insure in larger cities because there's a perceived higher risk of damage/theft etc.  I know it sucks, but unfortunately even though courts have started to award smaller amounts to claimants, the premiums stay high.

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

Post #: 167
RE: Northern Ireland Thread - 17/2/2011 7:13:01 PM   
steelydan3

Yeah, that's true too, sharkboy. I think I even recall my brother saying a couple of insurances companies told him it was higher as they are more likely to have claims from our part of the world.

"I've had a bellyful of you and your cheap heroics"

"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell!"

"The distance between insanity and genius is measured only by success"

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 168
RE: Northern Ireland Thread - 25/2/2011 8:36:55 PM   
Rebenectomy

Okay, just need to clarify something about our illustrious voting system. Citizens of the European Union who are not Commonwealth citizens can vote in European and local elections in the UK, but are not able to vote in UK Parliamentary general elections.

So ROI citizens (that's those born in ROI as opposed to those born in the north) resident in NI can vote in local and Assembly elections, but not Westminster, is that correct? Or are they also extended parliamentary rights? The UK voter registration talks of British and Irish citizens as being eligible, but I'm not sure if this is more to include those in NI who consider themselves to be Irish, as opposed to those born in the ROI. If it does mean those born in the ROI can vote in UK parliamentary elections, does this only cover them if they are voting in NI, or can someone from say Dublin, move to England and vote in the Westminster elections there.

Also do these voters still retain the right to vote down south when resident in the north or elsewhere in the UK and what about northern born Irish passport holders resident in the ROI, what elections are they eligible to vote in?

I covered all this in uni, but I'm a tad rusty unfortunately and would appreciate some clarification.

(in reply to steelydan3)
Post #: 169
RE: Northern Ireland Thread - 27/2/2011 12:38:30 AM   
Hex

Not really keeping with the serious discussions going on but does anyone know if Rain has its entertainment license back?

You are a hot cup of asshole!

You wouldn't let me have that poster of Gael Garcia Bernal! His eyes are green and he's Latin! I need it!

Sssshhh. Shut your mouth. Sssssh. It's Art Crawl.

Post #: 170
RE: Northern Ireland Thread - 28/2/2011 3:29:32 PM   
sharkboy

Not as far as I know Hex.  They can still serve drink but can't have any live entertainment/DJs.  I spoke to a council contact last week who'd been involved and in all honesty unless they seriously shake up they don't deserve it back - they'd almost twice as many punters in as deemed safe on occasion!

EDIT: Reb, here's what aboutmyuvote.com has to say on the subject:
quote:

EU and qualifying Commonwealth citizens resident in Northern Ireland can register to vote. However they must have been resident in Northern Ireland for the previous three months. Registering to vote means EU citizens can vote for Northern Ireland Assembly, local government and European elections. Only UK, Irish or qualifying Commonwealth citizens on the electoral register can vote for elections to the UK Parliament.

< Message edited by sharkboy -- 28/2/2011 3:36:15 PM >

WWLD?

(in reply to Hex)
Post #: 171
RE: Northern Ireland Thread - 28/2/2011 4:04:47 PM   
Rebenectomy

quote:

ORIGINAL: sharkboy

Not as far as I know Hex. They can still serve drink but can't have any live entertainment/DJs. I spoke to a council contact last week who'd been involved and in all honesty unless they seriously shake up they don't deserve it back - they'd almost twice as many punters in as deemed safe on occasion!

And yet, weren't they weren't they in trouble not so long ago for refusing entry to someone in a wheelchair?

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 172
RE: Northern Ireland Thread - 28/2/2011 4:07:09 PM   
jcthefirst

They were indeed.

@Jonny_C85

Post #: 173
RE: Northern Ireland Thread - 2/3/2011 6:15:22 PM   
Hex

Any idea how long these things last for?

A hen night has been organised there soon and if it cant even play music we are going to have to reconsider our options.

< Message edited by Hex -- 2/3/2011 10:01:24 PM >

You wouldn't let me have that poster of Gael Garcia Bernal! His eyes are green and he's Latin! I need it!

(in reply to jcthefirst)
Post #: 174
RE: Northern Ireland Thread - 2/3/2011 10:01:05 PM   
Hex

Also if anyone can suggest somewhere else we could go please do! We are at our wits end!

(in reply to Hex)
Post #: 175
RE: Northern Ireland Thread - 3/3/2011 8:53:17 AM   
Rebenectomy

Haven't been there myself, but I've heard good reports of Love and Death Inc on Anne Street. It's City Centre so near enough to leave and go to other bars if it's not up to much.

(in reply to Hex)
Post #: 176
RE: Northern Ireland Thread - 3/3/2011 9:37:13 AM   
sharkboy

I've also heard some good feedback about Love & Death.  And you can also get a very nice pizza on the ground floor   Stiff Kitten used to do some good nights too

WWLD?

Post #: 177
RE: Northern Ireland Thread - 3/3/2011 1:30:05 PM   
MOTH

just give in and head to the Bot. Hen nights get well received there.

I've only gone and set up a blog! This week I've been mostly reviewing The Lego Movie and Wadjda. Click: The Fast Picture Show

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 178
RE: Northern Ireland Thread - 3/3/2011 3:28:19 PM   
Rebenectomy

Well the MTV Awards are to be held in the Odyssey in November and to celebrate I'll be attending this after show party:

http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=198620690157051

(in reply to MOTH)
Post #: 179
RE: Northern Ireland Thread - 3/3/2011 3:38:18 PM   
jcthefirst

I'm assuming tickets for said event are free, and given away in competitions and the like?

@Jonny_C85

Post #: 180
Page:   <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Off Topic >> RE: Northern Ireland Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI