Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Northern Ireland

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Off Topic >> RE: Northern Ireland Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Northern Ireland - 19/11/2009 11:49:19 AM   
Kilo_T_Mortal

You guys should work for the tourist board. I'm thinking it might be a nice place to go.

he's ruining my buestiful threat!

"She must have known about all this before she let that grinning loon put his space-cock anywhere near her?"
horribleives

(in reply to Rebenectomy)
Post #: 31
RE: Northern Ireland - 19/11/2009 12:45:35 PM   
jcthefirst

Don't come today. It's bloody miserable.

@Jonny_C85

My Movie Blog | My Other Various Rantings Blog

(in reply to Kilo_T_Mortal)
Post #: 32
RE: Northern Ireland - 19/11/2009 12:49:24 PM   
Hobbitonlass

I thought that when I saw the weather forecast last night for N.I

Come join in the Photo competition http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3116407&mpage=1&key=

(in reply to jcthefirst)
Post #: 33
RE: Northern Ireland - 19/11/2009 12:53:39 PM   
Kilo_T_Mortal

quote:

ORIGINAL: jcthefirst

Don't come today. It's bloody miserable.

I wouldn't worry JC it takes me 14 days to write a job application.

he's ruining my buestiful threat!

"She must have known about all this before she let that grinning loon put his space-cock anywhere near her?"
horribleives

(in reply to jcthefirst)
Post #: 34
RE: Northern Ireland - 25/11/2009 7:07:41 AM   
JoeyPottr

I would avoid Northern Ireland considering it had too many car bombs in the years past and street violence. Dublin does have more bars and there is not the association of IRA terrorism there either really. Glad that Belfast is not the place it used to be though.

wandering through the tall grass of life

Post #: 35
RE: Northern Ireland - 25/11/2009 8:20:58 AM   
Keyser Sozzled

quote:

I would avoid Northern Ireland considering it had too many car bombs in the years past and street violence. Dublin does have more bars and there is not the association of IRA terrorism there either really. Glad that Belfast is not the place it used to be though.

Joey, Do you think that view is still widely held in the states?....Obviously the perception may be askew depending on religious/political grounds but it's interesting to think that Car bombs and "street violence" (whatever the fuck that is) is still the first thing people think about when talking about NI.

You should flick through the thread a google some of the areas mentioned, there are some stunning parts of the country that deserve to be seen by all.

Dublin has it's fair share of rough areas and also has a historical link to the Irish Republican Army and most of the splinter groups including The Real IRA, etc which although don't generally carry out terrorist acts are found of a bit of bank robbing, drug dealibng and Tiger kidnapping..

Despite my many many problems with some of Joeys posts I would genuinely like to hear from her on this....maybe because we live on this particular rock and see the changes made up close we forget that the wider perception remains more or less the same....

< Message edited by Keyser Sozzled -- 25/11/2009 8:28:51 AM >

I have no idea who any of them are, apart from Terry Pratchett who I know has got a beard and keeps going on about killing himself but never does.

(in reply to JoeyPottr)
Post #: 36
RE: Northern Ireland - 25/11/2009 10:34:38 AM   
Rebenectomy

I heard that someone got mugged once in New York. Put me right off the place.

As for car bombs, they're not going off willy nilly, taking the heads off unsuspecting tourists. If you Google Belfast car bomb these days you're most likely to get a drinks recipe than any major story about an explosion.

On a slightly more disappointing note there appears to have been some trouble in the City Centre last night when the Christmas lights were turned on. It's being played as a sectarian conflict involving youths, but if this had been anywhere else, it simply would have been a non story about drunken spides (that's chavs, charvers, mexicans, neds etc to the rest of you), kicking the shite out of each other.clicky

< Message edited by Rebenectomy -- 25/11/2009 2:07:44 PM >

Body Hair Beautiful: An Armpits for August Special
http://www.lipstogetherandblow.com/2013/07/body-beautiful.html

(in reply to Keyser Sozzled)
Post #: 37
RE: Northern Ireland - 25/11/2009 12:36:52 PM   
jcthefirst

Too true.

Anyway, I love Northern Ireland.

I get that we have a reputation, but doesn't everywhere? Man up, and visit. You'll enjoy it.

@Jonny_C85

Post #: 38
RE: Northern Ireland - 25/11/2009 12:50:17 PM   
Donnie Murdo

I've spent countless holidays in Ulster, mainly due to my Mum being from Belfast and my Dad being from Derry. Both cities are fun places, but I'll admit I find the politics a bit much in some of the smaller towns, especially in marching season. Donegal is great though, hop two minutes over the border and it's all grand!

My Blog - http://weeredsquirrel.com

(in reply to jcthefirst)
Post #: 39
RE: Northern Ireland - 25/11/2009 1:41:49 PM   
sharkboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: JoeyPottr

Must...bite...tongue....

Fuck it.  I'm going to totally ignore the ignorance of the history of Irish nationalism as Kilo has already addressed it.  But I've got to ask you this Joey- do you even have a passport, or are you one of those Americans who would much rather base their opinions on a place on some select reading or vague recollections?  Even at the height of the Troubles, more people were murdered on the streets of New York or Washington or Baltimore or pretty much any US city of a comparable size or above on an average day than here.  The week before my first visit to your beautiful country (and I mean that sincerely), a British tourist was shot dead in Orlando.  The last time my friend went to NY, some guys flew aircraft into skyscrapers.  So what, exactly, is your point here?  We had a past of violence (which wouldn't have lasted a fraction of the time it did without all those displaced "Irish" Americans funding the arms purchases by the way)?  Yes, we did, but the important word in that phrase is "past".

And "street violence"?  Parts of London got ripped apart by riots in the 80s, Paris and Chicago burned in the 60s.  And yes, Belfast rioted during the troubles.  I'm not going to sugar-coat it - during the 70s and 80s this place could be hell, and I've seen some things first-hand that no amount of therapy would ever erase.  I'd also be lying if I said that we're some violence-free utopia nowadays, but we're trying, Ringo, we're trying.  And as Rebenectomy said, street violence these days is more akin to drunken youths engaging in some anti-social behaviour than the good old-fashioned organised riots of the past.  Wow, there's that word again...

Thankfully, you're the only American I know who holds that view.  Anyone else has either travelled over and found out for themselves, or has, you know, read something a bit more recent than the late '90s.  Do yourself a favour, get a passport, visit Ireland and see for yourself how wrong your preconceptions are - hell, I'll even buy you a pint!

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

(in reply to JoeyPottr)
Post #: 40
RE: Northern Ireland - 25/11/2009 3:20:29 PM   
simonmckergan1

quote:

ORIGINAL: sharkboy

quote:

Must...bite...tongue....

Fuck it.  I'm going to totally ignore the ignorance of the history of Irish nationalism as Kilo has already addressed it.  But I've got to ask you this Joey- do you even have a passport, or are you one of those Americans who would much rather base their opinions on a place on some select reading or vague recollections?  Even at the height of the Troubles, more people were murdered on the streets of New York or Washington or Baltimore or pretty much any US city of a comparable size or above on an average day than here.  The week before my first visit to your beautiful country (and I mean that sincerely), a British tourist was shot dead in Orlando.  The last time my friend went to NY, some guys flew aircraft into skyscrapers.  So what, exactly, is your point here?  We had a past of violence (which wouldn't have lasted a fraction of the time it did without all those displaced "Irish" Americans funding the arms purchases by the way)?  Yes, we did, but the important word in that phrase is "past".

And "street violence"?  Parts of London got ripped apart by riots in the 80s, Paris and Chicago burned in the 60s.  And yes, Belfast rioted during the troubles.  I'm not going to sugar-coat it - during the 70s and 80s this place could be hell, and I've seen some things first-hand that no amount of therapy would ever erase.  I'd also be lying if I said that we're some violence-free utopia nowadays, but we're trying, Ringo, we're trying.  And as Rebenectomy said, street violence these days is more akin to drunken youths engaging in some anti-social behaviour than the good old-fashioned organised riots of the past.  Wow, there's that word again...

Thankfully, you're the only American I know who holds that view.  Anyone else has either travelled over and found out for themselves, or has, you know, read something a bit more recent than the late '90s.  Do yourself a favour, get a passport, visit Ireland and see for yourself how wrong your preconceptions are - hell, I'll even buy you a pint!

I totally agree Sharky!  I would hazard a guess that some Americans couldn't even find us on a map.

As you can see, my young apprentice, your friends have failed. Now witness the firepower of this fully ARMED and OPERATIONAL battle station!

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 41
RE: Northern Ireland - 25/11/2009 3:47:53 PM   
The Hooded Man

Reminds of that episode of Alias set in Belfast where everyone had southern accents and southern number plates on their car. Or the best one was Tommy Lee Jones drinking Guinness and listening to U2 while making bombs in Blown Away.

Counting the minutes until the over zealous mods lock this thread too.

(in reply to simonmckergan1)
Post #: 42
RE: Northern Ireland - 25/11/2009 3:50:17 PM   
sharkboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: The Hooded Man

Tommy Lee Jones drinking Guinness and listening to U2 while making bombs in Blown Away.

Better still, it was Guinness with ice cubes in it - now some things we will still riot over...

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

(in reply to The Hooded Man)
Post #: 43
RE: Northern Ireland - 25/11/2009 4:10:39 PM   
Hex

I remember a "oirish" character in Neighbours who apparently came from a village just outside Belfast and he could neither read nor write.

Yes and we all live in thatched cottages and walk around with pig under each arm, to paraphrase Dylan Moran

You are a hot cup of asshole!

You wouldn't let me have that poster of Gael Garcia Bernal! His eyes are green and he's Latin! I need it!

Sssshhh. Shut your mouth. Sssssh. It's Art Crawl.

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 44
RE: Northern Ireland - 4/1/2010 1:40:50 PM   
jcthefirst

quote:

Just re-reading this thread and this bit made me laugh. Too many car bombs. As if when booking a holiday there has to be a maximum number of car bombs a country has had before you won't go there anymore. "Oh, they've had twelve car bombs in 2 years. If only it had been 11, we could have gone"

Also, on the stereotypical depiction of Ireland (North or South) I saw a clip on youtube the other day of a Magnum PI episode partially set in Armagh. It was just as bad as you can imagine.

And finally, how bloody cold is it today?

@Jonny_C85

(in reply to JoeyPottr)
Post #: 45
RE: Northern Ireland - 4/1/2010 6:02:11 PM   
krudler

quote:

Thats like saying you wouldnt go to New York for fear of a skyscraper falling on you, nonsense. Also Dublin had one of its most famous monuments of the time blown up by the IRA in 1966 when they destroyed Nelsons Column, guess you wont be going there any time soon either?

quote:

ORIGINAL: Squidward Hark Bugle

3D moving images are not films, they're holograms, and should be treated as a separate medium of storytelling, or artform.

(in reply to JoeyPottr)
Post #: 46
RE: Northern Ireland - 4/1/2010 8:37:56 PM   
Hex

quote:

And finally, how bloody cold is it today?

Fricking freezing!

You are a hot cup of asshole!

You wouldn't let me have that poster of Gael Garcia Bernal! His eyes are green and he's Latin! I need it!

Sssshhh. Shut your mouth. Sssssh. It's Art Crawl.

(in reply to jcthefirst)
Post #: 47
RE: Northern Ireland - 4/1/2010 9:33:57 PM   
Dirty Hartigan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hex

I remember a "oirish" character in Neighbours who apparently came from a village just outside Belfast and he could neither read nor write.

Yes and we all live in thatched cottages and walk around with pig under each arm, to paraphrase Dylan Moran

I don't think that was to do with him being Northern Irish though. He was just illiterate.

< Message edited by Dirty Hartigan -- 4/1/2010 9:34:20 PM >

(in reply to Hex)
Post #: 48
RE: Northern Ireland - 4/1/2010 10:00:44 PM   
Donnie Murdo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dirty Hartigan

quote:

Yes and we all live in thatched cottages and walk around with pig under each arm, to†paraphrase Dylan Moran

I don't think that was to do with him being Northern Irish though. He was just illiterate.

Connor from Neighbours now works as a guide on the tour buses in Melbourne. My mate has a photo of him hugging his rather excited girlfriend. Apparently he did actually grow up in Ireland, just outside of Belfast. Think his long spells in Australia must have buggered up his accent though.

My Blog - http://weeredsquirrel.com

(in reply to Dirty Hartigan)
Post #: 49
RE: Northern Ireland - 4/1/2010 10:51:43 PM   
jcthefirst

quote:

ORIGINAL: Donnie Murdo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dirty Hartigan

quote:

Yes and we all live in thatched cottages and walk around with pig under each arm, to†paraphrase Dylan Moran

Connor from Neighbours now works as a guide on the tour buses in Melbourne. My mate has a photo of him hugging his rather excited girlfriend. Apparently he did actually grow up in Ireland, just outside of Belfast. Think his long spells in Australia must have buggered up his accent though.

My uncle's the same. The accent thing, not the illiteracy.

Lived here til he was about 30 and has been in Oz ever since. His accent is weird.

@Jonny_C85

(in reply to Donnie Murdo)
Post #: 50
RE: Northern Ireland - 5/1/2010 12:07:34 PM   
jcthefirst

Anyone driving into Belfast this morning from Bangor (or seemingly from anywhere as I'm hearing)?

It was a nightmare. Took me an hour to drive a distance that normally takes 5 minutes.

@Jonny_C85

(in reply to jcthefirst)
Post #: 51
RE: Northern Ireland - 6/1/2010 6:26:28 PM   
Ariclenes

I live up on the North coast and there is practically no snow here at all!

(in reply to jcthefirst)
Post #: 52
RE: Northern Ireland - 6/1/2010 6:49:21 PM   
Virgil Brigman

I live up in County Down and the snow seems to have died down somewhat, but it's terribly frosty, the footpaths are wild and I nearly went down on my arse a few times.

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attackships on fire of the shoulder of Orion. I've seen c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tenhauser gate. All those moments will be lost, in time, like tears in rain. Time to Die.

(in reply to Ariclenes)
Post #: 53
RE: Northern Ireland - 7/1/2010 9:53:20 AM   
sharkboy

quote:

Anyone driving into Belfast this morning from Bangor (or seemingly from anywhere as I'm hearing)?

It was a nightmare. Took me an hour to drive a distance that normally takes 5 minutes.

Yet another reason to be glad I moved from Bangor!  All it took was one minor fender-bender and there was an instant 5-mile tailback.  And bad weather usually ruled out the escape route over the Craigantlet Hills.

We'd a bit of snow in Belfast yesterday which soon froze over, but compared to other parts of the country we've been pretty lucky so far.

WWLD?

(in reply to jcthefirst)
Post #: 54
RE: Northern Ireland - 7/1/2010 1:28:18 PM   
jcthefirst

Went over the craigantlet hills this morning. Hardly a soul on them. It was great. Everyone must be thinking it's far too dangerous, but the roads were fine.

Anyway, here's to you Mrs Robinson, eh? How about that?

@Jonny_C85

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 55
RE: Northern Ireland - 7/1/2010 1:31:00 PM   
sharkboy

There would have been a much more delicious irony if she'd admitted having an affair with another woman

WWLD?

(in reply to jcthefirst)
Post #: 56
RE: Northern Ireland - 7/1/2010 2:34:00 PM   
simonmckergan1

Iris appears to be Christian from the waist up then.  I actually felt sorry for Peter Robinson yesterday, (I never thought I'd see that day).

As you can see, my young apprentice, your friends have failed. Now witness the firepower of this fully ARMED and OPERATIONAL battle station!

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 57
RE: Northern Ireland - 7/1/2010 2:34:02 PM   
Woger

The cnut has hell to look forward to if she believes any of her religion.

Eddie: "Weve been burgaled"
Richie: You may have been, but I have never in my life. As a christian I am so tightly clenched, oh you mean burgaled
- - -
There were originally five horsemen of the apocalypse. Jack Bauer said he would travel by foot

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 58
RE: Northern Ireland - 7/1/2010 6:43:42 PM   
Virgil Brigman

quote:

ORIGINAL: simonmckergan1

Iris appears to be Christian from the waist up then.  I actually felt sorry for Peter Robinson yesterday, (I never thought I'd see that day).

Yeah, I know what you mean, watching him make his statement on UTV was like watching somebody get kicked physically hard in the gut. Not his biggest fan either I have to say, but I did have some sympathy for him.

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attackships on fire of the shoulder of Orion. I've seen c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tenhauser gate. All those moments will be lost, in time, like tears in rain. Time to Die.

(in reply to simonmckergan1)
Post #: 59
RE: Northern Ireland - 7/1/2010 11:18:43 PM   
sharkboy

Yeah, but remember - he's known the details for 10 months now, and it took the threat of a BBC exposť to make him appear so gutted during what was a very professionally staged and stage-managed press announcement.  Cynical?  Moi?

Anyway, Iris' bit on the side was 40 years her junior - doesn't that make your skin crawl just a little too much?

WWLD?

(in reply to Virgil Brigman)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Off Topic >> RE: Northern Ireland Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News††|††Empire Blog††|††Movie Reviews††|††Future Films††|††Features††|††Video Interviews††|††Image Gallery††|††Competitions††|††Forum††|††Magazine††|††Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI