Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Final Fantasy XIII

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Joypad >> RE: Final Fantasy XIII Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Final Fantasy XIII - 10/1/2010 7:19:17 PM   
directorscut

Bring back materia!

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

(in reply to juanvasquez)
Post #: 31
RE: Final Fantasy XIII - 10/1/2010 7:22:18 PM   
juanvasquez

quote:

ORIGINAL: directorscut

Bring back materia!

I agree. The materia system was the best one to get to grips with.

Plus, when you max out 'All', it's worth a lot of Gil!

Check out my cult games reviews and features at Horror Cult Films

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 32
RE: Final Fantasy XIII - 10/1/2010 7:26:59 PM   
ChickMagnet

quote:

ORIGINAL: juanvasquez

quote:

ORIGINAL: ChickMagnet

Also with regards to pre-ordering, does anyone know if when you're pre-ordering from shopto if they charge your card at the time of pre-order or when they despatch the game? I can't afford it right now but will have cash on release date

All on-line stores I know of don't charge you for pre-orders until they are dispatched.

Thanks

Pre-ordered it and its fecking gone up by 3 since this afternoon

Post #: 33
RE: Final Fantasy XIII - 10/1/2010 7:31:44 PM   
juanvasquez

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: juanvasquez

quote:

Also with regards to pre-ordering, does anyone know if when you're pre-ordering from shopto if they charge your card at the time of pre-order or when they despatch the game? I can't afford it right now but will have cash on release date

All on-line stores I know of don't charge you for pre-orders until they are dispatched.

Thanks

Pre-ordered it and its fecking gone up by 3 since this afternoon

How much was it?

I couldn't find it cheaper than 37.99

(in reply to ChickMagnet)
Post #: 34
RE: Final Fantasy XIII - 10/1/2010 9:06:28 PM   
ChickMagnet

It was 34.99 when I looked this afternoon, but I decided to post on here to find out about shopto first - promptly forgot, then by the time I went back tonight it had gone up *facepalm*

Post #: 35
RE: Final Fantasy XIII - 14/1/2010 10:39:38 AM   
HIM

Quite a damning Eurogamer preview of the Japanese verion of FFXIII (Clicky).

However, judging from the last two paragraphs it seems like if you liked FFXII you'll see this as a step backwards:

quote:

For players who saw Yasumi Matsuno's Final Fantasy XII as a creative and interesting exploration of how the aged JRPG format could shift into something contemporary and fresh, the thirteenth game seems sure to be a crushing disappointment.

... but if you disliked FFXII you'll see it as a return to form:

quote:

But for those players who felt disorientated by the twelfth game's bold approach (and that pretty much includes all of Japan, who disliked the game's diversions from the JRPG hymn sheet), Final Fantasy XIII's withdrawal into tradition will be most welcome.

I must confess to disliking FFXII so I'm actually quite excited by FFXIII now.

(in reply to ChickMagnet)
Post #: 36
RE: Final Fantasy XIII - 14/1/2010 11:52:21 AM   
Yeti

My 360 Chocobo Avatar looks more like a Sparrow. That's been forcibly sprayed yellow.

We sit over our keyboards shoveling Pot Noodles down our mouths. Not because we're hungry. Not because we like them. Just to stifle the sobs for another minute or two.

(in reply to HIM)
Post #: 37
RE: Final Fantasy XIII - 14/1/2010 12:30:25 PM   
pedros

I really liked FFXII but it is the only FF game that I haven't replayed, in fact when I finished it I went out and bought FFX as I was craving a more traditional FF game. It seems odd that they have done away with towns in this new game though.

I'm still really looking forward to it and have it on pre-order. I need another JRPG in my life at the moment - I wasn't that fussed with Lost Odyssey and I can't get Tales of Vesperia anywhere, plus I am a bit of a completist when it comes to FF games so the 1000 points shouldn't be too much trouble for me.

I'd rather see Dave Lee Travis play Macbeth.

Hey, wha' happened???

(in reply to Yeti)
Post #: 38
RE: Final Fantasy XIII - 14/1/2010 12:52:14 PM   
the anomaly

quote:

ORIGINAL: Yeti

My 360 Chocobo Avatar looks more like a Sparrow. That's been forcibly sprayed yellow.

It is quite naff ... but at least it was for free ...

(in reply to Yeti)
Post #: 39
RE: Final Fantasy XIII - 14/1/2010 6:38:57 PM   
Chojin

With only two months to go, why haven't the special edition details been released?

I did see the special edition PS3 edition in Japan and the white console looked so nice.

http://chojin.devour.org - Mixes, Contact, Etc
XBL/PSN - Chojin22000

(in reply to the anomaly)
Post #: 40
RE: Final Fantasy XIII - 14/1/2010 6:50:40 PM   
juanvasquez

I've had a look on Play-Asia and couldn't see a special edition. But I'm just gonna get the standard.

What did y'all make of the new trailer? While it looks brilliant, the music really didn't go with it. It was like a shit version of the 'Over The Rainbow' scene in Face-Off.

(in reply to Chojin)
Post #: 41
RE: Final Fantasy XIII - 14/1/2010 7:02:25 PM   
Chojin

The actual footage looks immense, but the song is awful - and I hope there's a subtitled option rather than English Audio.

XBL/PSN - Chojin22000

Post #: 42
RE: Final Fantasy XIII - 14/1/2010 10:11:12 PM   
Sumintelligentguy

Yeah Chojin i pretty much share the same opinions as you.

FFX was my first experience of the franchise - and though i never finished it, my brother 'accidentally' saved over my game about 30-40 hours in TWICE! - it is to me the best of the bunch. I tried playing VII, got about 8 hours in and just stopped playing, i dont know why, i just did.

My new years resolution is to play more games and this will certainly be a game i buy on release date. Graphics look immense. And i welcome the return of the sphere grid

(i've got a funny feeling i've typed this before)

"Snake? Snaaaake? SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE!?"

R.I.P. Punchy

Post #: 43
RE: Final Fantasy XIII - 15/1/2010 12:21:40 AM   
dark_exodus

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chojin

The actual footage looks immense, but the song is awful - and I hope there's a subtitled option rather than English Audio.

I thought the song was OK. I would prefer the Japanese version though.

Watched at the Cinema Recently
The Town 4/5
Buried 4/5

www.gameshideout.co.uk

(in reply to Chojin)
Post #: 44
RE: Final Fantasy XIII - 15/1/2010 12:28:15 AM   
DJ Satan

I just watched half the trailer and turned it off. By westernising it and adding that song it's just gone from a "must buy" to a "forget it". 

Don't try to tell me that some power can corrupt a person
You hadn't had enough to know what it's like
You're only angry cause you wish you were in my position
Now nod your head cause you know that I'm right..alright!

(in reply to dark_exodus)
Post #: 45
RE: Final Fantasy XIII - 15/1/2010 6:47:53 AM   
Chojin

quote:

ORIGINAL: DJ Satan

I just watched half the trailer and turned it off. By westernising it and adding that song it's just gone from a "must buy" to a "forget it".

The song will probably only play once during the entire game, so I wouldn't let it influence your decision. Probably during the credits!

XBL/PSN - Chojin22000

(in reply to DJ Satan)
Post #: 46
RE: Final Fantasy XIII - 15/1/2010 10:59:13 AM   
Ell

I personally cannot wait for this instalment to the franchise. The battle system looks intriguing, as does the levelling-up system that's already been touched on. The visuals - as always with a Final Fantasy game (judging from that International trailer I watched on LIVE the other day) - are second to none, and hopefully this time round the characters and plot will have me reeled in just like VII and VIII did.

Interesting post here on Joystiq  that links to other articles about how they cut a game's worth of content from it. Also mentioning the instalment's ten-year life cycle under the title Fabula Nova Crystallis. Versus XIII looks amazing also, albeit exclusive to the PS3.

"I'D BUY THAT FOR A DOLLAR!!!"

(in reply to Chojin)
Post #: 47
RE: Final Fantasy XIII - 18/1/2010 7:21:12 AM   
Chojin

video review with no story-spoilers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WLiencHokM

XBL/PSN - Chojin22000

(in reply to Ell)
Post #: 48
RE: Final Fantasy XIII - 20/1/2010 6:06:35 PM   
somekindof_battery

I just hope to god this game is better than FFXII...what a piece of sh*t.

"I can beat you, I don't need the girl hahah, I DON'T NEED THE GIRL! I don't need the gun John. I can beat you. I DON'T NEED NO GUN! AND I'LL KILL YOU NOW!" - Unknown 17th century poet

(in reply to Chojin)
Post #: 49
RE: Final Fantasy XIII - 21/1/2010 9:01:07 PM   
pedros

quote:

ORIGINAL: somekindof_battery

I played through the first few hours of FFXII last weekend, and was struck by how beautiful the look of the game is. The graphics really are fantastic and they really pushed the PS2 to its limit. It brought back playing through some of the later areas which were just wonderfully designed and realised. The voice acting too is excellent, with Balthier and Fran being stand-outs. And I didn't really care much for the story on my first playthrough but I found it quite interesting this time and loved the way it unfolded. The gambit system was pretty tricky to get to grips with on first playthrough, but when I found a system that worked it was quite satisfying to sit back and watch your characters kick arse with minimum input. The biggest chore I found was levelling up, there were some areas where I spent days wandering round trying to get as big a chain as possible. Overall though I do think it is a quality game and I do respect the series for trying something different with its combat and lack of random battles.

Hey, wha' happened???

(in reply to somekindof_battery)
Post #: 50
RE: Final Fantasy XIII - 22/1/2010 12:54:55 AM   
somekindof_battery

quote:

ORIGINAL: pedros

quote:

I played through the first few hours of FFXII last weekend, and was struck by how beautiful the look of the game is. The graphics really are fantastic and they really pushed the PS2 to its limit. It brought back playing through some of the later areas which were just wonderfully designed and realised. The voice acting too is excellent, with Balthier and Fran being stand-outs. And I didn't really care much for the story on my first playthrough but I found it quite interesting this time and loved the way it unfolded. The gambit system was pretty tricky to get to grips with on first playthrough, but when I found a system that worked it was quite satisfying to sit back and watch your characters kick arse with minimum input. The biggest chore I found was levelling up, there were some areas where I spent days wandering round trying to get as big a chain as possible. Overall though I do think it is a quality game and I do respect the series for trying something different with its combat and lack of random battles.

I hated it so much, i honestly felt FFX was a better looking game. The voice acting is fine in XII but the quality sounds rubbish - it's not all that clear, sounds like there's reverb or it was recorded in a closet. None of the characters interested me with Vaan just being utterly bland. The battle system i just couldn't stand - it can't make up its mind what it wants to be so you end up standing around this open battlefield getting hit but you can't dodge attacks and if you run away no matter how far you get you still get hit.

I honestly hate the game with a passion.

"I can beat you, I don't need the girl hahah, I DON'T NEED THE GIRL! I don't need the gun John. I can beat you. I DON'T NEED NO GUN! AND I'LL KILL YOU NOW!" - Unknown 17th century poet

(in reply to pedros)
Post #: 51
RE: Final Fantasy XIII - 22/1/2010 5:20:22 PM   
Chojin

http://finalfantasy-xiii.net/

The above contains some scanned reviews which don't contain any spoilers I know of. The official playstation review contains some worrying 'facts' like:

On FFX-2 - '.......and the series ' first appearance on ps2'
On FFIX - '....not released at all in Europe'
On FFXII - '...the high point of the series so far'

The above three quotes should put anyone off of how valid the OPS review is.

Edit: they even got the images for FF7 and FF9 the wrong way around. One of the finest reviews ever.

Special Edition detailed:

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/01/22/final-fantasy-xiii-limited-collectors-edition-revealed-for-euro/

Don't think i'll be opting for this, nothing I really fancy. I would have liked a model or the full OST instead of a selection.

< Message edited by Chojin -- 22/1/2010 6:48:59 PM >

XBL/PSN - Chojin22000

Post #: 52
RE: Final Fantasy XIII - 15/2/2010 12:52:43 AM   
kata

http://ve3d.ign.com/videos/62418/Xbox-360/Final-Fantasy-XIII/Trailer/Leona-Lewis-Trailer

XBL: GeneralLee79
PSN: GeneralLee_UK
Steam: GeneralLee_uk

Lovely detective work.

"Don't buy wigs that come off at the wrong time"

(in reply to Chojin)
Post #: 53
RE: Final Fantasy XIII - 16/2/2010 8:54:33 PM   
Ell

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=235030

Why do I get the feeling I am not going to enjoy this instalment?

I'll be buying it still. I'm a fan of the franchise, and after going back to Fallout 3 for the second time have decided I dislike WRPGs. This should surely mean I should be agreeing with what Kitase is saying, but I cannot help but think all this talk of it being linear in order to define storytelling is just really a cop-out. Tell that to Tetsuya Nomura, the main man behind FFVII. Side quests and open lands to explore were in abundance there. The same can be said for VIII and neither of these sacrificed open gameplay for an in-depth plot. They had both.

Perhaps this is something we can come to expect from the FF franchise from now on, what with the reviews coming out for the game not looking all too positive as it could have been. Is this all since Squaresoft merged with Enix?

Knowing me, I'm probably being overly cynical and will end up eating my words and enjoying the game, I hope.

"I'D BUY THAT FOR A DOLLAR!!!"

(in reply to kata)
Post #: 54
RE: Final Fantasy XIII - 26/2/2010 2:50:28 PM   
juanvasquez

Just got an email saying that this will be dispatched early due to high demand.

Can't complain.

(in reply to Ell)
Post #: 55
RE: Final Fantasy XIII - 26/2/2010 3:01:14 PM   
Chief

Where from? I wasn't really fussed for this a couple of months ago but now I'm really looking forward to it.

Post #: 56
RE: Final Fantasy XIII - 26/2/2010 3:06:19 PM   
juanvasquez

From Gameplay. They are usually pretty good. Reasonable prices and 1st class delivery is usually within a day or too. It was 32.99, but I think that was with a voucher

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 57
RE: Final Fantasy XIII - 26/2/2010 8:27:43 PM   
the anomaly

... I think I'm going to go down this road at some point ... just completed Lost Odyssey after about 100 hours across two years. I've got Blue Dragon to do first too. BUT then I think it's time I completed a Final Fantasy game. It's the best time to go for it with the whole online community thing and achievements attached. Hopefully it will make things more interesting. I've seen a few more videos and my interest is growing.

Post #: 58
RE: Final Fantasy XIII - 27/2/2010 6:10:05 PM   
punchdrunk

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: pedros

quote:

I hated it so much, i honestly felt FFX was a better looking game. The voice acting is fine in XII but the quality sounds rubbish - it's not all that clear, sounds like there's reverb or it was recorded in a closet. None of the characters interested me with Vaan just being utterly bland. The battle system i just couldn't stand - it can't make up its mind what it wants to be so you end up standing around this open battlefield getting hit but you can't dodge attacks and if you run away no matter how far you get you still get hit.

I honestly hate the game with a passion.

You forgot to mention one of the best sub-games in game history, 'Blitz-Ball' they intigrated it into the world you travelled in perfectly being able to headhunt new players from the random people you meet along the way was a stroke of genius and for someone who isn't really into sports games it was great fun to play (once you made your team tough enough that is). 

Post #: 59
RE: Final Fantasy XIII - 27/2/2010 8:16:46 PM   
pedros

I used to spend hours playing Blitzball, trying to get (and eventually succeeding) Wakka's best limit break, it was brilliant. FFX was a really good game, but Tidus almost spoils the whole thing for me. Vaan may have been bland, but Tidus was just really fucking annoying, with his whiny voice and stupid Wonder Years style voiceover. Squall probably would have been just as annoying  is FFVIII had voice acting though.

Looking forward to this though, just over a week to go now. I've sorted out my shopto account so will get the game delivered to my proper address hopefully a bit early. I had to order another game so that I could change my delivery address so I got Infinite Undiscovery - anyone played it? It got average to ok-ish reviews, but it was only 8. I would have ordered Star Ocean cos I quite liked the PS2 version, but they seemed to have hardly any games in stock.

Hey, wha' happened???

(in reply to punchdrunk)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Joypad >> RE: Final Fantasy XIII Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI