Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RIIIIIIDICULOUS

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RIIIIIIDICULOUS Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RIIIIIIDICULOUS - 19/11/2009 7:49:39 PM   
natman_begins

Part of me like it and part of me hated it.

Liked:
There were plenty of tension building moments that left me on the edge of my seat, more so than any other film this year.
The special effects were spectacular, not quite Transformers 2 or Star Trek but still great all the less.

Hated:
The whole thing was ridiculously over the top.
Roland Emmerich is a one trick pony, unfortunately i've seen all this before and it gets more repetitive every time he destroys the planet. The end product always feels like the same movie as the last.

Some personnel gripes which dont really come into play on a whole:
The fit Russian blonde dying and the fat, annoying, curly haired Russian twins living, i would have prefered it the other way.
Cheese!!!, i know you have to expect it with this man, but why does every film have to be saturated with the stuff.

Im gonna say 3 atars because while its probably the worst film i've seen this year, theres millions of people who will love it.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 61
RE: RIIIIIIDICULOUS - 19/11/2009 8:56:59 PM   
hampstead bandit

I really enjoyed the film until the last third

SPOILER ALERT!!

the end of the world was gripping and terrifying!! the scenes of destruction were mind blowing, with the plane escaping from collapsing cities and entire continents being smashed up by the shifting core

and then it all came down to "saving our humanity by letting the other people in", and shutting the door on a stupid boat (arc), plus the "has he drowned?" family schmuz at the very end

after an entire film of planet destruction which was horrible jeopardy, the ending seemed like a damp squib - as the Arc "raced" (slowly shifted) towards Mt. Everest where it threatened to smash itself up - is that the best they could come up? the Arc didn't look like it was in any real danger

the acting was solid, especially the main scientist character (the guy who was also excellent in sci-fi film Serenity and Children's Men)

great disaster film (in terms of things going horribly wrong) with a lame ending (I think I enjoyed The Day After Tomorrow more)

3/5

< Message edited by hampstead bandit -- 19/11/2009 9:00:37 PM >

(in reply to natman_begins)
Post #: 62
RE: RIIIIIIDICULOUS - 20/11/2009 10:55:04 AM   
broonie

Solid 3 star film. All your looking for with a Roland Emmerich film is destruction on a big scale and boy does it deliver. Yeah the dialogue is rubbish at times but so what, you know these type of films aren't made for acting honours.

Do you want to run this ship?
Yes!
Well,...you cant!

(in reply to hampstead bandit)
Post #: 63
RE: 2012 - 20/11/2009 11:57:39 AM   
Timon

quote:

a big Yes! to that. One thing i've noticed many reviewers haven't been picking up on while watching this movie is the very slight tongue-in-cheekiness of the subject that Emmerich cleverly wove into the plot. He obviously doesn't believe any of the prophecy any more than most of the rest of us do?.Just look at Woody Harrelson, to see what i'm on about,a real bit of ham acting,yet all done in the best possible taste.If you love ye old disaster movies of old, and love cinema.And enjoy the things about cinema that make it great.IE visuals,sound turned up,epic big screen fun,great action,well this is one great popcorn blockbuster of the b movie kind.The film has obvious flaws, trite clichés, and phony science, but if you are a fan of 50's sci-fi/70's Erwin Allen movies, you will love this movie. And remember, don't take it too seriously folks,it's only a movie so just enjoy the ride,though at nearly 3 hours it is a longer ride than normal.Still it's never boring as there's not much script to follow,and the leads know it's just a fun ride of a movie,pure entertainment notting more.ENJOY!!7/10
quote:

ORIGINAL: JV

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timon
The Arks really did look like Battlestars (and for the BSG fans, who else spotted Jammer and Captain Kelly?)

I remember thinking they looked like Battlestars.

At work, we were talking about how feasible they are and as I work for an Infrastructure mag, our editor ask me to pen an article for the website on what we would take to build the 2012 Arks.

http://www.americainfra.com/news/the-arks-of-2012/

Take a lot of it with a pinch of salt!

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

(in reply to JV)
Post #: 64
RE: 2012 - 20/11/2009 3:58:09 PM   
primebhoy

Anyone see any good trailers for any of the big summer films in 2010???

They not norm start hitting us with teasers around now?!!?

'Old Man your about one C**t hair away from hillbilly heaven' - Blade II

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 65
Immense! - 20/11/2009 9:24:26 PM   
dodsy100

I have been waiting so long for this film, and personally it did not disappoint. Firstly, the graphics were amazing and the special effects were great. Also i was consistently on the edge of my seat throught the majority of the film due to the tension beign built. An absolute classic disaster movie. It really is the disaster movie of all disaster movies. I loved it.

Post #: 66
Trash with amazing special effects - 21/11/2009 11:49:45 PM   
marionfilmfan

I agree with Kim Newmans revew. I would give it three stars - Two for the ridiculous plot and dialogue but an extra one for special effects.

Post #: 67
Utter Utter Utter Rubbish - 22/11/2009 5:31:49 PM   
THE DALTONATOR

2012 is so stupid, so cliched, so utterly ridiculous and so so rubbish
its your typical cliched disaster movie characters with a typical cliched disaster movie plot
Jon Cusack is able to outdrive the end of the world...that limo must be the fastest on earth
they even drive THROUGH a collapsing building at one point
its way to long at 2hrs and 40 mins and is incredibly boring to add to its stupidity, plot holes and trashy attempt at a script
the ONLY good thing about this film was the special effects
but everything else was worse than what 2012 will be like IF it happens (WHICH IT WONT)
the worst thing is one of my mates said it was epic and amazing...obviously nobody can see past the special effects
AVOID this disaster of a film
it is pretty funny i guess but for all the wrong reasons
as Mark kermode said "plain and simple bad"
but i can see why some people may enjoy it but for me....didnt work
without a doubt the worst of Rolands disaster movies

Post #: 68
Great effects, appalling abuse of science! - 22/11/2009 5:40:47 PM   
filmsunlimited

As a person who has a Physics degree, the initial premise of 'mutating' neutrinos microwaving the Earth's core already placed the film in the scientifically implausible. Which is a shame, as later many scientific possibilites (flipping of the poles, Yellowstone eruption etc) are realised. The other gripe is this constant only-just-outrunning the disaster feel to it. I mean a cat only has nine lives! To firstly outrun an ever growing crack running through the city, a flyover, multi-storey car park and then two glass tower blocks is taking the p*ss enough, without outrunning a pyroclastic flow from Yellowstone in a bloody camper van!
The film gets more absurd still when (yet again) an ever growing chasm across Las Vegas International Airport fails to swallow a Russian plane. As for driving out the back of a jumbo in a Bentley. Hmmmm. What tops this madness off is the will it or wont it make the ark scene with the pampered pooch.
Also a minor geological inconsistency. The projection of the tsunami clearly shows a height of one thousand and something metres. Now Im sorry but Everest is nearly 9,000m high. So surely that tidal wave actually made it up several thousand metres. Re the end, does a tidal wave really take about a month to subside or have the Himalayas been flooded? Shifting of the poles is one thing but a worldwide sea level raise of 5000 metres plus?
It seems the director is trying to imply that Princess Di was killed in that Paris tunnel by the completely over obvious comparison to this.
On the whole, poorly woven together, more corny than the popcorn machine at the back of the cinema and scientific rot. Ironically though I enjoyed laughing at the films incompetency in these matters. Wirth a little trepidation I may use the Yellowstone eruption as a teaching resource once the DVD comes out but at nealry 3 hours, this is too long for an end of term treat!

Post #: 69
If this is the end of the world I'm staying indoors... - 22/11/2009 9:31:35 PM   
Col.Dax

The film is funny where it shouldn't be....boring when it should be amazing!!!....and hide behind your hands when its being 'emotional' - what a fuggging mess! Someone should rewire the directors brain and get him to start again. I mean dont get me wrong - I didn't hate it, its funnier than many comedies - its just that its about the most mind bending premise ever - the end of our world and it has as much punch as Police Academy Five....I mean how does a director do that?!?! Make a film about the end of the world with hundreds of millions of dollars and come up with this....Actually I lied about not hating it...its shit.

Post #: 70
Cack - 23/11/2009 12:29:11 AM   
Loosecrew

Kim? Are you serious? Three stars?

I'm off to stand in front of a blue screen and look astonished.

Post #: 71
AMAZING - 23/11/2009 12:52:09 AM   
dgg9696

Been waiting too long for this film and it was worth it.
Look! Your not going to get oscar star perfomances in a disaster movie or the exact scientific mumbo jumbo so switch your brain off and just enjoy the film.All those who have said the film was rubbish obviously went in there with the mindset of hating it from the start,so why did you even bother going to see it,maybe so you could moan about it and not look daft when people said "ooh did you see when " and "ooh what about the bit with the" and you didnt have a clue what you were on about.Dont you just hate those people!!!
To Roland Emmerich, Aliens,Giant Lizard,Cavemen,Global warming and now Solar flares destroy the earth. How the hell you gonna top 2012.
I cant wait!!!! (no romantic comedies though)

Post #: 72
RE: AMAZING - 24/11/2009 12:54:25 AM   
Cheeze

One word sums this one up for me... Poop!

And I am someone who can just switch off and enjoy a mediocre and over the top implausable film a lot of the time, but this was just really really bad, and boring. Yes the special effects were excellent but this really was turd on every other level.

And before I get bashed for taking it too seriously, I am someone who enjoyed the ridiculously over the top, badly acted and horrifically scripted GI Joe movie earlier this year because I did just switch off and go with it...

1 Star from me and that's entirely for the special effects. Other than that it would be 0 stars.

(in reply to dgg9696)
Post #: 73
RE: AMAZING - 25/11/2009 5:27:29 PM   
akivo

So much has been made of the FX on this film.  Whilst they were very impressive not once was I convinced by them and there was no sense of peril or danger from the protaganists or anyone else.  I'm no gorehound and I respect the 12A rating but there were hardly any shots of destruction from the point of view of the masses of people in the midst of collapsing buildings, explosions and tidal waves, Emmerich instead chose to cut away at the last moment. 

In Independence Day the destruction sequences were made with a combination of practical scale models and digital effects which made the blowing up of the White House, for example, so exciting, but 2012 had none of this, it all appeared to be CGI, which at this point is about as convincing as it gets.

Not a bad film overall but I left feeling very flat and disappointed that this wasn't the disaster movie that Emmerich has been promising to deliver for years.

(in reply to Cheeze)
Post #: 74
2012 A Space Cadet Odyssey - 26/11/2009 2:35:33 AM   
The Whisper

Kim has captured the (albeit limited) appeal of this film perfectly in his review. What irritates me most about Emmerich's work is not that he believes suspension of disbelief is entirely a matter of state-of-the-art CGI, nor his belief that what defines us all as human are liberal values (liberal in the restricted American sense, that is) combined with a strong sense of family (among the many unanswered questions is the reason for the Cusack character's divorce - though I suspect the eyeliner he wears throughout the film may provide some clue). No, it's the fact that somehow, despite all his misplaced panache, Emmerich's films are still mildly entertaining. B**stard!

Post #: 75
RE: 2012 A Space Cadet Odyssey - 26/11/2009 7:15:14 AM   
jangcastillo33

i am very excited at first seeing this movie but during the time that i am watching it... it gives me a horrifying feeling thinking what if it might really happen... what will everybody do... where else will everybody go... questions like that pops up on my  mind...

IVA Help

(in reply to The Whisper)
Post #: 76
- 26/11/2009 9:57:18 PM   
CIRVIRUS64

I don't have to say anything here that Kim's review hasn't already said, it's spot on. Basically, all this does is gel together all disasters from all other disaster movies into one big, Grandaddy of them all disaster movie with all the usual trimmings, cliches and characters. It's dull between disasters and wears pretty thin pretty early on, but still, there's enough here to send those with an appetite for destuction home happy and satisfied...

Post #: 77
RE: If this is the end of the world I'm staying indoors... - 29/11/2009 9:54:48 PM   
Twisted Kitty

quote:

ORIGINAL: Col.Dax

The film is funny where it shouldn't be....boring when it should be amazing!!!....and hide behind your hands when its being 'emotional' - what a fuggging mess! Someone should rewire the directors brain and get him to start again. I mean dont get me wrong - I didn't hate it, its funnier than many comedies - its just that its about the most mind bending premise ever - the end of our world and it has as much punch as Police Academy Five....I mean how does a director do that?!?! Make a film about the end of the world with hundreds of millions of dollars and come up with this....Actually I lied about not hating it...its shit.

Couldnt have put it better myself.  Sat there giggling my head off at it with tears in my eyes.  Utter crap but bloody hilarious!

"I have a terrible headache, and a sudden craving for chicken wings"

(in reply to Col.Dax)
Post #: 78
RE: 2012 - 30/11/2009 7:56:21 PM   
robwillphill

I thought that 2012 would be one of those films that i call a 'good shit film'
However, although the graphics are 10/10 (or FUCKING AMAZING), the rest is piss poor.

Dialogue is dreadful - humour is where it shouldn't be, some lines don't actually make sense, and it is generally cheesy (e.g: ladies and gentlemen, the world as we know it will come to an end).

Action sequences are ant-climactic - stupid, incomprehendable escapes and the destruction wears thin.

Acting is average - at least Woody Harrelson brought humour by taking the piss out of it all.

It's best not to read too deep into this film - in fact, don't look into it at all.
In other words this is a shit film rapped up in fancy wrapping paper with a massive bow - all eye candy with a sour after-taste that aint really fun either!

2/10

http://youtube.com/audience

Check out my latest films:
- http://youtu.be/Z2zrRi06Rb0
- http://dai.ly/fSojJ3

---------------------------------------------------

Stewie: We're playing house
Lois: But that boy's tied up
Stewie: It's Roman Polanski's house

Post #: 79
RE: 2012 - 2/12/2009 7:34:21 PM   
Miss.Cullen

I haven't seen the film yet, hoping too soon. Films like this make me worry about the end of the world though D:
But don't worry because Busted have been to the year 3000 :)

Post #: 80
Utter gash! - 8/12/2009 1:35:20 AM   
ChesterCopperpot

Quite simply the worst film I have seen in a LONG time. Roland Emmerich, do us all a favour and hurl yourself off a bridge. And take Uwe Boll with you.

Post #: 81
- 9/12/2009 7:32:27 AM   
JapStrangler

This movie reminded me of my first girlfriend. It got me all excited for a week or two, then afterwards left me scratching my knackers wondering what all the fuss was about.

Post #: 82
Load of balls SPOLIERS - 9/12/2009 8:32:14 AM   
dark wombat2

Started really promising if you like the big disaster movies. But then the 'limo escape' happened - a sequence with CGI so bad I thought i was watching an episode of Police Squad!

Q ridiculous plot maneuvers (how many last ditch aeroplane escapes can u cram into one movie?) and WHY DOES EVERY CHARACTER have to have a 5min heart-to-heart with every other character?!?! YAAAAAWN!

Post #: 83
not even so bad its funny - 16/12/2009 7:22:37 PM   
anakin73

O its really bad, 3 star from empire! your love affiar with mindless big budget hollywood has to stop, your reviews really mean nothing anymore! i wish i could rent a plane for a wrist watch, cos there will be plenty of pilots on the look out for a watch as the world crumbles around them, even my moron 5 yr old thought it was shit.

Post #: 84
Comedic disaster. - 16/12/2009 11:18:32 PM   
arronskie

Apart from the effects this film was a disaster of epic proportions.Bad diologue setups such as `I just feel we`re drifting further and further apart`(cue earthquake crack between them) Bad acting (most of the actors looked embarassed to be there).Cliched nationality stereotypes. More bad setups.The list goes on....and on....much like this film.
Soon after L.A. slipped into the sea i kept slipping on the edge of my seat to stop nodding off!!As soon as the film decided to turn into Poiseiden i put on my Mp3 player to drown out the diologue!!
Danny Glover/Woody Harleson/John Cusack et al need to find new agents.Before its too late!Cheque please!

Post #: 85
Disaster film to end all Disaster films - 17/12/2009 1:14:19 AM   
sandyman002

Turn off your nitpicking brain and you'll enjoy this one. Fun is all this film is and if you can't see through the poor script into the harmless fun then your are simply a dull moviegoer.
One thing I will say is besides the Russian man and his ugly kids this film had some pretty good casting. Chiwetel Ejiofor and John Cusack manage to be better than everyone else acting wise and Woody Harrelson works as the half crazy radio UFO nut...and that's all folks. Oh please no more disaster films Mr Emmerich.

Post #: 86
RE: Disaster film to end all Disaster films - 22/12/2009 8:36:28 AM   
grucl

I liked this film much more than I should have. I have no explaination why, though.

The only bit I didn't like was the destruction of Los Angeles. There was just too much going on on the screen and the effects weren't as good as later on.
What really blew my mind was the volcano sequence. Now, THAT was great CGI.

(in reply to sandyman002)
Post #: 87
2012 - 26/12/2009 6:29:32 PM   
deppfanatic

If your the type of person who loves special effects , explosions and disasters then this is the film for you. The effects just blew me away quite literally , there was plenty of suspense through out the film,there was even a few comical moments but not a decent plot. John Cusack played okayish in this but nothing compared to 1408 a true masterpiece..

Post #: 88
Well........ - 29/12/2009 7:56:20 PM   
OllieG96

Empire got it right, it WAS entertaining, but it was still a load of balls. It started off OK, what with the destruction of LA and all that, but, after that it just got worse and worse. By the time that they *SPOILERS WARNING* got on the ark, I just couldn't be bothered any more, so I started to count the other brain dead people around me and caught the eye of other people in the same situation as me.

Post #: 89
Would it ever end....? - 2/1/2010 4:38:59 PM   
serious_syd

I still can't decide if this was comic or tragic. I don't think I was supposed to be laughing all the way through, but that was the effect. But when it went into the third hour I was calling 'time please'. The only thing that was missing at the end (to complete the farce) was John Cusack surfacing with the Chinaman's foot and sewing it back on. I can only think that no-one suggested that to Roland or he'd have printed it. And you don't get a second star for CGI these days. We've seen it all before.

Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RIIIIIIDICULOUS Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI