Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Bright Star - 9/11/2009 8:55:34 PM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
Bright Star - 9/11/2009 8:55:34 PM   
Soprano168

In many ways Bright Star is a typical story about a doomed love affair. However Jane Campion has created something that emotionally involves its audience due to a well written script and some brilliant cinematography. Bright Star is a poetic vision of love and tragedy and may take two viewings to fully absorb, but its worth every minute.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
Super (Nova)!!!! - 10/11/2009 10:53:13 PM   
Rich Empire

The performances are excellent, i hope Abbie Cornish gets some sort of nomination for her efforts.
I loved the music, both bleak and evocative to the atmosphere of the film. It's both dreamy and grimey in terms of it's look,which I love. There are several moments of aloofness given in the film that whisked me away.
This has to be one of the most beautiful films of the decade in my opinion without a doubt.
Certainly up there with "New World" by Terrence Malick.
Period films aren't for everyone, but the story of love portrayed in Bright Star really is something to behold.
Tender, heartfelt and unrushed; yet the film doesn't drag and stays with you long after the credits have gone up.
Go See It.

Post #: 3
RE: Bright Star - 11/11/2009 9:58:23 PM   
demoncleaner

Beautifully filmed.  Brilliantly acted.  It might come on a little detached to be to everyone's tastes but I loved its austerity which assured this story-on-tramlines never segued into genre trappings.  

Another definite recommendation from this corner. 

Post #: 4
Back on track - 12/11/2009 12:25:30 AM   
omarx

After her joke of a film, In the Cut anyone???? Jane Campion is back to what she knows best, Simple yet elegant story telling, Beautiful imagery, modest budget, and a Languid pace, which captures the essence of romance and the doomed love story between our vivacious lead and the penniless poet. Campion portrayed a beautfully detailed era, the awkward and tentative flirting in the beginning, the fleeting moments of happiness, and the doomed end, where grieving can become too much to bear, A riveting watch. GO SEE IT

Post #: 5
RE: Back on track - 13/11/2009 10:36:55 AM   
Qwerty Norris

I must confess Jane Campion does little for me (didn't particularly like the Piano, or the short she did when she was just starting out) but given the positive reviews and the subject matter I think I'll make the effort to see it next week.

Having said that, Paul Sneider's (or whatever his name is) Scottish accent sounds awful in the trailer...

Qwerty's Top 10 of 2013 (so far)

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
9. The Place Beyond the Pines
10. Wreck-it Ralph

(in reply to omarx)
Post #: 6
A Slow Moving Period Drama. - 21/3/2010 9:48:37 AM   
joanna likes films

Bright Star won't appeal to everyone, it is slow to start off and takes a good deal of time for the couple to be together. But it's a moving, beautiful and very emotional period drama. The main stars, Ben Whishaw and Abbie Cornish, protray their characters with passion with their doomed affair. When it's very near the end, you actully feel your heart breaking of the tradgey that affects not just the couple but the people around them. It has some amazing costumes and stunning scenery, has that feel of The New World where everything is taken in a slow pace while adding a wonderful world. Bright Star is worth a try.

Post #: 7
Bright Star indeed - 29/3/2010 10:40:21 PM   
lynnshep

Moving, loving, sad, inspiring. The best love story of the year. Cornish is wonderful, where was her Oscar nod? Campion delivers again. Where was the critical and Oscar love for this darling little gem?

Post #: 8
RE: Bright Star - 9/4/2010 3:21:42 AM   
demoncleaner

This is getting  a bump from me cause it's a gem of a film and I spent last week in Rome.  And on the last day I went to the Protestant Cemetry below the Aventine and got my photo taken by Keat's grave.

I was also sitting on the Spanish Steps besides the house he lived on attached to the Steps.

So yeah, Campion's film is disregarded almost.  (A very arsey 3-star review for the dvd btw).  What does it take for a perfectly orchestrated, unpretentious, little movie to get its due? 

Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Bright Star Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI