Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Michael Jackson's This Is It

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Michael Jackson's This Is It Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Michael Jackson's This Is It - 28/10/2009 2:15:59 PM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
RE: Michael Jackson's This Is It - 28/10/2009 4:47:49 PM   
Death_Row_Marv

First off this is supposed to be the review section. Not slag of dead singers.

Weather you like him or not the film stands on its own rights.

I think empire got it spot on with this.  It is a half way house that it OK but you leave feeling it could of been so much more.  But watching it a voice in my head just kept screaming cheap cash in.

Rule one. I am always right.
Rule two. If it looks like I am wrong refer to rule one.
Check out http://marksfilmview.wordpress.com/

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
RE: It's like bumping into an old friend you never thou... - 1/11/2009 8:30:45 PM   
benmharper

quote:

ORIGINAL: Snake-Eyes

My own review after watching it yesterday - It was a good compilation of footage including dance rehearsals and new video concepts for such classic songs as 'Thriller' and 'Smooth Criminal'. Yes, it was raw and far from prefect, I'm not sure what people were expecting and unlike most people on this thread so far (who seem intent on just slagging the guy off), I am a HUGE fan of Michael Jackson fan and I was happy to see what the man had planned - y'see I had tickets to go see the show. THIS IS IT is for the fans, if you're not a fan then please don't come in and ruin it for everyone else.

That about sums it up for me too. I really enjoyed seeing what the show could have been and i'm pretty upset we'll never it as it should have been

#3 member of The Wire fan club. PM Dantes Inferno to join.
Post #: 3
RE: It's like bumping into an old friend you never thou... - 1/11/2009 10:01:08 PM   
adambatman82

Is it Best Picture Oscar material? Thats been banded around on the news this weekend.

(in reply to benmharper)
Post #: 4
RE: It's like bumping into an old friend you never thou... - 2/11/2009 12:52:22 PM   
Timon

Nope.

It's just an interesting behind the scenes documentary. Nothing more. The show would been amazing, though I don't he'd have lasted all 50 dates.

Kenny Ortega really struck me as being a real sycophant though....

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

(in reply to adambatman82)
Post #: 5
RE: It's like bumping into an old friend you never thou... - 4/11/2009 1:27:27 AM   
Qwerty Norris

quote:

ORIGINAL: adambatman82

Is it Best Picture Oscar material? Thats been banded around on the news this weekend.

It certainly isn't, but it's a nice behind the scenes look at what would of undoubtedbly been a spellbinding concert experience for those lucky enough to of had tickets for the O2 gigs. Not a great deal of insight into the man, but from what I gather that was never the film's intention in the first place. I think your level of enjoyment of this could probably be measured by how much you liked MJ and his back catelogue. As it was, I was enthralled by "wanna be startin' something" but pretty much switched off during "earth song." Despite what the naysayers might think though this documentary does serve a purpose and it's more than just a cheap cash in.

And to those cracking child molester jokes...seriously, just fuck off....

3/5

< Message edited by Qwerty Norris -- 4/11/2009 1:30:27 AM >

Qwerty's Top 10 of 2013 (so far)

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
9. The Place Beyond the Pines
10. Wreck-it Ralph

(in reply to adambatman82)
Post #: 6
RE: It's like bumping into an old friend you never thou... - 4/11/2009 1:48:45 AM   
kasper_t

Personally, I would add a star to Empire's review.

I was never particularly a fan of MJ's music, but like Empire writes, there's no denying the quality of his music, and I think the film delivers as a celebration of those hit songs. I was reminded of some songs that I had all but forgotten, and as such I think it is a quite fitting reminder of the man's musical legacy, in the midst of all the controversy.

True, the film never delves into the personality of the man behind the music, but as many others have already pointed out, that is never its intention. I was, however, surprised at how even bits where MJ's vocals aren't spot on are left in. It wasn't as glossy as I had expected. I was thoroughly entertained throughout.

"How's Annie?"

(in reply to Qwerty Norris)
Post #: 7
Michael Jackson's This Is It - 9/11/2009 11:22:06 AM   
Drone

I've edited it out in my reply here, but it may be worth removing the topic sub heading on the last two posts, mods

I would like to see this, even though I was never a huge fan... I've sort of been caught up in the hype, and would like to see him perform
Post #: 8
RE: Michael Jackson's This Is It - 14/11/2009 8:28:16 PM   
Cruisecontroller

Some would say This Is It is just a cash in movie and to a certain extent their right as the concert organisers are probably losers of alot of money as the show never obviously happened when MJ died. Sure their probably was insurance to cover all the refunds but it probably was a welcome and needed financial boost to have all those hours of video footage of rehersals that MJ had filmned orgionally for his private collection. No doubt they would have been used anyway for extra features on the inevitable dvd/blu ray of the show. The Jackson family approved the movie so I don`t see why his fans shouldn`t. Why shouldn`t they get to see the closest thing to the show especially if they had tickets or couldn`t get some I`m sure MJ would have wanted them too see it. Even though you can see he looks ill it doesn`t mention his death nor cover it and the aftermath which might have been respectful for them to do but legally maybe tricky as they don`t want to imply they may have been to blame for possibly overworking him. Its purely rehersals for the show and the filmned sequences that would have been in the show like him featuring in a collection of clips from classic gangster movies for Smooth Crinimal and an excellent scary short film for Thriller which is as good as the orgional video but not suitable for young kids. I liked it and would have given it 5 stars if we got to see more fly on the wall stuff about MJ which most artists allow when they do concert movies but thats a minor flaw. I certainly will be getting this when it comes out to buy next year. It`s a must see for MJ fans.If you don`t want to see it and are fed up hearing about it noone is making you and their is no need for people on this thread to be unkind or rude about him he can`t defend himself after all anymore. 4/5

MyDVDCollection.http://www.empireonline.com/myempire/mydvdcollection.asp?UID=49319b

Last five movies seen & rated by me.

1.12 Years A Slave. 4/5
2.Robocop. (1987) 3/5
3.Devils Due.3/5
4.American Hustle. 4/5
5.Paranormal Activity: The Marked Ones. 3/5

(in reply to Drone)
Post #: 9
RE: Michael Jackson's This Is It - 15/11/2009 8:16:42 PM   
Crinblanca

"This is it"

The most extraordinary experience in a movie theater the last years.
Well, it is watching Michael Jackson the King of music last performance on the big screen.
The feeling was quite close to a live concert.
The show he could never do, and thats sad, becoz it would have been extraordinary.

Of course, I am a fan since Thriller, so I know what is this.

The best movie of 2009 In all the way
But so so so sad the last greatest artist is gone, and This is It is the final curtain...
There will not be another one like him....

quote:

ORIGINAL: RandyChimp

I'm bored with Michael Jackson. I can understand people liking his music, but it's a constant barrage of "Rest in Peace, you were a pop god!" or "We'll all miss you Michael!" FFS, You people didn't even know the man! And the stuff we did know about him made him seem like a child molesting mad man who was determined to have a sleepover with every kid he met! Get off the god damn bandwagon, it's boring now!

Of course you think like that, you were born in the 90s. What else.
Not a clue who was Michael Jackson and so bored of Michael Jackson now.
Too bad, new people will never know what a true true idol is.
There will not be another star as Michael.

< Message edited by Crinblanca -- 15/11/2009 8:25:06 PM >

"Hey! do you love me, Im untouchable darkness!"

Post #: 10
Michael Jackson's This Is It: WOW! - 8/7/2010 7:17:33 PM   
LUCASLITTLEWOOD

Well I didn't think that I would enjoy this film/documentary but it was really good! After watching it I wish that I had seen the finished show. It was very well edited considering it was not meant to be released as a film and the soundtrack was not as great but hey what is live? Overall I was very impressed with the film and the special effects used were mind-blowing for a concert. I hate to think how much it cost. A fine tribute to the late great king of pop.

Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Michael Jackson's This Is It Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI