Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Payback - 14/10/2009 9:35:33 AM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
Not quite noir, not quite pure hollywood - 14/10/2009 9:35:33 AM   
davelogan

This is an in between movie. Trying to be noirish enough to satisfy creative talent but while still trying to pull in a decent sized audience. Its pretty decent, Mel Gibson does a usual job, Mario Bello is good eye candy whose little screen time is well acted.The bad guys are pretty one dimensional but the excess of violence is what makes this a memorable movie

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
RE: Not quite noir, not quite pure hollywood - 14/10/2009 5:21:53 PM   
jobloffski

Point Blank, however, is a far greater film based on the same source material.

(in reply to davelogan)
Post #: 3
RE: Payback - 15/10/2009 1:54:44 PM   
Super Hans

It's ages since I've seen it but I thought Payback was great entertainment.  A good example of Mel Gibson when he was still fun!

"Its staring at you in the face Mark, there's only one more sex to try..."

Post #: 4
RE: Payback - 19/10/2009 9:14:29 PM   
Sad Professor

This is weird. How come this is up now ? Was there not a review before? Does Empire just upload old reviews every so often? 
Anyway, I just watched Straight Up: Director's Cut there recently and it's a fantastic variation. Shame Empire doesn't have region 1 DVd reviews of stuff unavaible on R2.

The theatrical version of the film compared to the Director's Cut just looks like a standard Hollywood actioner with a slight twist. Well, a blue twist as well as the slightly comical tone to it. The comedy in the DC is much more subdued.

(in reply to Super Hans)
Post #: 5
- 17/12/2009 11:05:47 PM   
TheGodfather

Payback (Theatrical Cut)
Mel Gibson in a type of role that we love seeing him in: looking for revenge, hard and mercyless. This time he`s out for revenge, looking for the people who shot him and stole his $ 70.000 share of a stick-up.
The film is a great hard, grimmy mix of action and revenge film with the atmosphere of a film noir. The voice-over from Gibson works good (and doesn`t get overused) and the soundtrack fits the film good. The action is excellent as well.
An excellent no-brainer!
7,5/10

Post #: 6
RE: - 8/4/2012 6:13:41 AM   
Phubbs

Payback (1999)

OK can I just say firstly...Lucy Liu and her character, LOVE it! :D absolutely my kinda woman in every sense hehe Liu is soooo damn gorgeous. Right that's my little perversion out in the open and out of the way, yep I'm a fetish freak...deal with it.

So apart from the delicious scenes with Liu what about the rest of the film? well its basically pretty darn good folks. In my view this is Gibson's last good film in an acting role, I also think its one of his best action thrillers too riding high alongside 'Lethal Weapon 1+2'.

There is a quite different directors cut of this film which is suppose to be more straight forward, I cannot comment on that as yet but personally I have always liked this film and see nothing wrong with it really. Sure its a little cliched and you always know Gibson will win in the end but he does get knocked around allot which is reasonably surprising for the good looking 'hero'.
Casting is great for all the characters here with a great slimy weaselly performance from Henry as 'Resnick', Paymer as the even more weaselly wet 'Stegman', Kristofferson is...well kinda as he always is and add some good backing in small roles from Bill Duke, John Glover and James Coburn, solid reliable casting there.

Violence is hard fast and totally enjoyable without there being that much blood, but you know what's happening, its adult only and it rocks. Thing is its all quite believeable too, its not just ridiculous over the top violence with no sense of realism, it all works well along with Gibson's little traps and setups.
I like the look of the film also, its almost in black and white, the picture is very bleak or washed out, kinda faded looking, shades of greys, blues, blacks and silver with not much else. Sounds odd but it sets the tone for the film whilst giving it some added class or distinction.

You can't go wrong here really, think 'Riggs' outta 'Lethal Weapon' only he's more badass and the series of events he's involved in are more sensible and darker.

(in reply to TheGodfather)
Post #: 7
RE: RE: - 2/5/2012 6:42:56 AM   
Phubbs

Payback: Director's Cut (1999)

After seeing both films almost back to back I can easily say that, surprisingly, the original theatrical version for me is the better or most enjoyable.

There is actually a huge difference between the two films as most was re-shot for the cinematic release and changed completely. This director's cut goes back to a slightly darker approach and omits Kris Kristofferson as 'Bronson' completely and merely has a female voice (sounded like Kathleen Turner) in place, the first 15min or so is radically different and uses allot of flashbacks which were used as solid story for the cinematic version, 'Porter' doesn't kidnap 'Bronson's' son anymore because we don't even see 'Bronson' now and the ending is also completely different.

I don't like the way this was put together and I'm glad they went with the version they did, the story isn't as clear in this cut, not seeing 'Bronson' doesn't really work in my opinion as you don't really get a feel for just a voice and the ending is really quite an anti climax that cuts off flat with no real feeling of retribution served, most of bad guys live!! you feel almost cheated out of some kick ass.

The director's cut is a more sombre affair basically, slightly darker and with less pizazz, of course had we gotten this version instead I would probably be saying the version we all know is too in your face and not as subtle but we didn't so it is how it is.

Almost disjoined if that's possible for a director's cut and simply not as fun or satisfying as the theatrical version, its worth seeing out of curiosity but I didn't gel with it, plus they cut some of the dominatrix scenes with the gorgeous Lucy Liu as 'Pearl'...hell no!!

(in reply to Phubbs)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Payback Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI