Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

TJ's Top 101 Rock Songs - One. And the winner is *drumroll*...

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Audiophile >> TJ's Top 101 Rock Songs - One. And the winner is *drumroll*... Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
TJ's Top 101 Rock Songs - One. And the winner is *drumr... - 13/10/2009 6:16:21 PM   
tommyjarvis

As a corollary / homage / blatant rip-off of Rinc's [probably far superior] thread, I've decided to do my own countdown, albeit somewhat shorter. I don't listen to that much music that isn't rock of one description or other, so I've decided to limit it to rock songs. This'll cover a wide spectrum though - indie, punk, metal, grunge, classic rock - it's all eligible.

Comments, abuse, suggestions and mocking are all widely encouraged. The more participation the better. No. 101 will be up soon.

< Message edited by tommyjarvis -- 23/3/2010 9:30:59 PM >

"I've been too honest with myself, I should have lied like everybody else"

My Top 101 Rock Songs - The first Audiophile list to actually get completed!
Post #: 1
RE: TJ's Top 101 Rock Songs of all time - Upcoming - 13/10/2009 6:18:28 PM   
Olaf

Will there be some Boards of Canada?

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

Empire Top 100 Albums Poll 2013: CLICK HERE

(in reply to tommyjarvis)
Post #: 2
RE: TJ's Top 101 Rock Songs of all time - Upcoming - 13/10/2009 6:23:05 PM   
tommyjarvis

quote:

ORIGINAL: Olaf

Um... there might be some Nickelback?

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 3
RE: TJ's Top 101 Rock Songs of all time - Upcoming - 13/10/2009 6:28:47 PM   
Olaf

quote:

ORIGINAL: tommyjarvis

quote:

(but yeah, looking forward to your choices. Less Oasis and Darkness, more Smiths and Idlewild plzz. )

< Message edited by Olaf -- 13/10/2009 6:29:01 PM >

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

Post #: 4
RE: TJ's Top 101 Rock Songs of all time - Upcoming - 13/10/2009 9:02:31 PM   
Rinc

Looking forward to it, it'll be good to have a rival thread! Although you'll get to number 1 sooner than me.

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:
[ color=#F1F1F1 ]text[ /color ]

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 5
RE: TJ's Top 101 Rock Songs of all time - Upcoming - 13/10/2009 9:19:18 PM   
Epiphany Demon

Doors, Hendrix and Dylan are a must. Restrict the Oasis, and I shall bum this thread

THE ALTERNATIVE LOOK AT BOB DYLAN'S DISCOGRAPHY - ONE DAY MAYBE I'LL FINISH IT

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 6
RE: TJ's Top 101 Rock Songs of all time - Upcoming - 13/10/2009 11:29:15 PM   
Pigeon Army

quote:

ORIGINAL: tommyjarvis

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rinc
She's supposed to be 13! I'd want her to be very attractive though

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat
quote:

ORIGINAL: Pigeon Army
Stop being mean to Deviation

No.

Post #: 7
RE: TJ's Top 101 Rock Songs of all time - Upcoming - 13/10/2009 11:35:31 PM   
Deviation

quote:

ORIGINAL: Epiphany Demon

Doors, Hendrix and Dylan are a must. Restrict the Oasis, and I shall bum this thread

I'm with this threat. And I suggest to nuke it from orbit when Nickelback are mentioned.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to Epiphany Demon)
Post #: 8
RE: TJ's Top 101 Rock Songs of all time - Upcoming - 14/10/2009 11:57:41 PM   
tommyjarvis

No. 101: The Kinks - All Day and All Of The Night

"The only time I feel right is by your side..."

A classic to kick things off. Although many of The Kinks' classic songs are more of the light rock/pop variety, it's this one [along with its immediate predecessor You Really Got Me] that are arguably more important, given the sheer number of bands who've taken some level of influence from it. In essence, it's fairly simple - a straightforward, catchy riff, uncomplicated lyrics and a memorable sing-along chorus. Yet it's these elements that make the song as good as it is, not just because it laid the foundation for hard-rock as a genre, but because they're perfectly executed here. Many have imitated this over the years [including The Doors, who lifted it wholesale for Hello, I Love You], but few have managed to do it so well. Often, in rock music, it's the simple things that work the best and this is as good a demonstration of that as you could hope to find.

Listen here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMWNwHof0kc&feature=related

Get it on: Kinksize Hits EP [1964], or various best-of / greatest-hits packages

< Message edited by tommyjarvis -- 15/10/2009 8:08:56 AM >

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 9
RE: TJ's Top 101 Rock Songs of all time - Upcoming - 15/10/2009 12:02:37 AM   
Rhubarb

Fantastic choice.

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

ORIGINAL: FritzlFan

You organisational skills sicken me, Rhubarb.

Post #: 10
RE: TJ's Top 101 Rock Songs of all time - Upcoming - 15/10/2009 12:04:10 AM   
Olaf

You can never go wrong with The Kinks. Top choice squire.

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 11
RE: TJ's Top 101 Rock Songs of all time - Upcoming - 15/10/2009 12:11:45 AM   
Harley Quinn

Great Choice with that track!

"A mother's love for her child is like nothing else in the world. It knows no law, no pity, it dares all things and crushes down remorselessly all that stands in its path."

Owner of the Naughty Milkmaid.

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 12
RE: TJ's Top 101 Rock Songs of all time - Upcoming - 15/10/2009 12:27:08 AM   
Pigeon Army

I've not heard the song, but the fuck is up with Jack Bauer? 

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rinc
She's supposed to be 13! I'd want her to be very attractive though

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat
quote:

Stop being mean to Deviation

No.

(in reply to Harley Quinn)
Post #: 13
RE: TJ's Top 101 Rock Songs of all time - Upcoming - 15/10/2009 12:29:35 AM   
Olaf

Even if the picture was a mistake, there's an amusing "All day" pun to be had.

(in reply to Pigeon Army)
Post #: 14
RE: TJ's Top 101 Rock Songs of all time - Upcoming - 15/10/2009 1:56:02 AM   
Deviation

Great choice.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 15
RE: TJ's Top 101 Rock Songs of all time - Upcoming - 15/10/2009 7:50:32 AM   
Epiphany Demon

Excellent start; maybe my favourite Kinks song.

THE ALTERNATIVE LOOK AT BOB DYLAN'S DISCOGRAPHY - ONE DAY MAYBE I'LL FINISH IT

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 16
RE: TJ's Top 101 Rock Songs of all time - Upcoming - 15/10/2009 8:07:39 AM   
tommyjarvis

quote:

I've not heard the song, but the fuck is up with Jack Bauer?

Not a mistake. A series of 24 runs for all day and all of the night, does it not?

< Message edited by tommyjarvis -- 15/10/2009 8:08:08 AM >

(in reply to Pigeon Army)
Post #: 17
RE: TJ's Top 101 Rock Songs of all time - #100 - Manic ... - 15/10/2009 11:58:57 PM   
tommyjarvis

No. 100: Manic Street Preachers - A Design For Life

"We don't talk about love, we only want to get drunk..."

A lesser band might well have crumbled at the stage the Manics were at in 1995-96. Their last album, 1994's harrowing The Holy Bible, had been acclaimed but flopped commercially, and then Richey Edwards disappeared in early 1995, presumably via suicide. Yet they stuck it out as a three-piece and went on to release this, arguably their definitive song. If not quite as nihilistic as their earlier work, it's still along the same lines lyrically, with a sense of disgust at the nation. Our generation has so much information at their disposal, and the ability to do whatever they want, yet we waste our time getting pissed without achieving anything. It's almost a response to Oasis' Cigarettes and Alcohol.

And then what happened? The very people who the song satirises adopted it as a drinking anthem and suddenly the Manics became one of the biggest groups in the country. What's a band to do? Mainly, the reason for this is because it's the first time that the group were able to combine great lyrics with truly anthemic music. It sounds huge and even back on release it sounded classic. Plus the chorus is hardly difficult to sing along to. Some may deride the group as having sold out from here-on in, but it's a rare band that can have something to say and do so in a method that strikes a chord with the masses, and for that the Manic Street Preachers should be treasured.

Listen here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pz00_3LbdmM

Get it on: Everything Must Go [1996]

< Message edited by tommyjarvis -- 16/10/2009 12:16:37 AM >

Post #: 18
RE: TJ's Top 101 Rock Songs of all time - #100 - Manic ... - 16/10/2009 12:05:58 AM   
Olaf

A Design For Life is a modern masterpiece, it'd be in my top 50 tracks. Interesting you mention it as the response to Cigarettes & Alcohol - on the documentary that comes with the re-released version from a few years ago, Nicky says that the song was a fairly direct stab at Britpop (trufax). One thing I feel the need to point out, though:

quote:

Mainly, the reason for this is because it's the first time that the group were able to combine great lyrics with truly anthemic music.

Post #: 19
RE: TJ's Top 101 Rock Songs of all time - #100 - Manic ... - 16/10/2009 12:09:51 AM   
tommyjarvis

quote:

A Design For Life is a modern masterpiece, it'd be in my top 50 tracks. Interesting you mention it as the response to Cigarettes & Alcohol - on the documentary that comes with the re-released version from a few years ago, Nicky says that the song was a fairly direct stab at Britpop (trufax). One thing I feel the need to point out, though:

quote:

Mainly, the reason for this is because it's the first time that the group were able to combine great lyrics with truly anthemic music.

I should be clearer. There's terrific music and lyrics on many songs off the Holy Bible [and earlier], but not quite in that stadium-anthem sort of way, which this song pulls off. Not that they're worse songs for that, but just great in a different way. I know Motorcycle Emptiness does the anthemic thing very well too, but its lyrics aren't quite so good.

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 20
RE: TJ's Top 101 Rock Songs of all time - #100 - Manic ... - 16/10/2009 12:17:40 AM   
Olaf

Ah I get you now, I was only referring to Motorcycle Emptiness being an stadium-y anthem of sorts - though I agree that its lyrics don't really stand up to The Holy Bible and Everything Must Go (or Gold Against The Soul, or Journal for Plague Lovers actually). It's the kind of song I would love to see live if you get me (still gutted I didn't catch them on this year's tour due to exams, hopefully a few tracks from Journal will stay in the setlist but it's unlikely). More Manic Street Preachers btw, best British mainstream band of the 90s (after Blur) imo.

Did you guess I'm a Manics fan?

Post #: 21
RE: TJ's Top 101 Rock Songs of all time - #100 - Manic ... - 18/10/2009 5:32:35 PM   
tommyjarvis

No. 99: The Ramones - I Wanna Be Sedated

"Just put me in a wheelchair and get me to the show; hurry, hurry, hurry before I go loco"

Every punk band in history - from Sex Pistols to Green Day - owes a debt to The Ramones, who practically invented the genre. It's easy to criticise them - the songs are the epitome of simple musically, they all sound more or less the same and the lyrics tend to be more in common with pop-punk subject matters [boredom, drugs, girls] than about social upheaval or the like - but the sheer energy is often enough to pull the song through, and when the formula works, it really works. And it never worked better than on I Wanna Be Sedated, one of their best known songs. It's a perfect pop-punk song, with memorable, riffs running throughout, an instantly catchy chorus and a relentlessly cheerful tone that can't help but a smile on your face, despite the theme of tedium. In short, it's the total opposite of a sedative.

Listen here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMD7Ezp3gWc

Get it on: Road To Ruin [1978]

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 22
RE: TJ's Top 101 Rock Songs of all time - #100 - Manic ... - 19/10/2009 5:04:29 PM   
Rinc

I love All Day and All of the Night and Design For Life. I like The Ramones as well but like you say a lot of their songs are similar so i wouldn't pick them myself. Great start though.

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:
[ color=#F1F1F1 ]text[ /color ]

Post #: 23
RE: TJ's Top 101 Rock Songs of all time - #98 - Slayer - 19/10/2009 9:51:06 PM   
tommyjarvis

No. 98: Slayer - Angel of Death

'Millions laid out in their crowded tombs, sickening ways to achieve the Holocaust"

A veritable demolition ball of a song, this little charmer launches straight into life with a thunderous riff and the lines, "Auschwitz, the meaning of pain, the way that I want you to die," and barely lets up throughout the running time, which at nearly five minutes is practically an epic by Slayer standards. Based on the fun exploits of Nazi psychopath Josef Mengele, its lyrical content [detailing various nasty experiments] kicked up a hell of a fuss back in 1986 and none of the impact has been lost over the years. But whatever you may think of the subject matter [and, needless to say, it's not as if the band shared Mengele's attitude, despite what many seemed to think], there's little denying that musically, this is a metal tour de force. After the first, extraordinarily intense, couple of minutes, there's a terrific rapid-fire guitar solo and then some even more rapid-fire drumming, before all the instruments are seemingly battered to within an inch of their lives as the song thunders to it's conclusion. By the end, you feel exhausted just listening to it.

Needless to say, this is hardly for everyone. But if you like your metal, this one is essential.

Listen here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6_zsJ8KPP0

Get it on: Reign in Blood [1986]

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 24
RE: TJ's Top 101 Rock Songs of all time - #98 - Slayer - 20/10/2009 11:29:52 AM   
EricL

SLAYERRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't like them as much as I used to, but I can still appreciate Reign of Blood, South of Heaven and Seasons. Dead Skin Mask is just one of the best metal songs ever.

"When Bruce Willis was dead at the end of The Sixth Sense I jizzed in my pants"

"I can't take him to the SPCA. They told me never to come back after I tried to give them a bunch of rats that my rat trap caught but didn't kill."

Post #: 25
RE: TJ's Top 101 Rock Songs of all time - #98 - Slayer - 20/10/2009 1:49:52 PM   
Harley Quinn

I love Want to be Sedated another cracking track there TJ!

"A mother's love for her child is like nothing else in the world. It knows no law, no pity, it dares all things and crushes down remorselessly all that stands in its path."

Owner of the Naughty Milkmaid.

(in reply to EricL)
Post #: 26
RE: TJ's Top 101 Rock Songs of all time - #97 - The Str... - 22/10/2009 8:38:46 AM   
tommyjarvis

No.97: The Stranglers - No More Heroes

"Whatever happened to Leon Trotsky, he got an ice pick that made his ears burn?"

In the annals of late-70s UK punk groups, the Stranglers tend to be less well-regarded than many of their contemporaries. This isn't entirely unfair, given their inconsistency even as a singles band, but every now and then they pulled off something sublime. Golden Brown is probably the better known song, but this one arguably trumps, keeping up the knack of a good melody while being, well, just that bit more exciting.Containing references to the likes of Leon Trotsky and Sancho Panza, this is, as the title suggests, a bemoaning of the lack of people to idolise these days, a complaint that still holds relevance today. Beyond that, it's just a terrific song; less abrasive then many punk songs of the era, it rocks plenty while still being a good sing-along, and even has a stab at a guitar solo in the middle, which at least highlights a degree of musical skill, something often lacking in the punk world.

Listen here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4pkNcE8nsM

Get it on: No More Heroes [1977]

(in reply to Harley Quinn)
Post #: 27
RE: TJ's Top 101 Rock Songs of all time - #96 - The Jim... - 24/10/2009 12:16:37 PM   
tommyjarvis

Audiophile seems to be a ghost town these days... oh well. Here's a couple for the weekend:

No. 96: The Jimi Hendrix Experience - All Along The Watchtower

"'There must be some kind of way out of here,' said the joker to the thief"

In its way, this is possibly the most perfect meeting of minds in the history of rock music. Bob Dylan is one of the all-time great songwriters but not the best singer [although he's not half as bad as some make him out to be], while Jimi Hendrix is one of the all-time great musicians yet, for me anyway, he's a much better guitarist than songwriter. Thus, when you put together a song originally done by Dylan and add Hendrix's typically sublime guitar playing to the mix, the result should therefore be rock's equivalent of gold, right?

Thankfully, it is. While Dylan's version is a decent song, if not one of his best, it's the makeover given to it by Hendrix that's the main reason, by taking the potential showed by the original and expanding it into something altogether better. It's not just the soloing that improves it, it's everything - the opening riffs, the singing, the extra length - all of which turns a previously pleasant experience into a truly thrilling one. Even when Dylan played the song live afterwards, it was far more in line with Hendrix's take. But then, he's hardly short of his own classics. As for Hendrix, well, it's hard to say anything new about his guitar playing. Just listen and enjoy a master.

Listen here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RD7s4i_X-p0

Get it on: Electric Ladyland (1968)

Post #: 28
RE: TJ's Top 101 Rock Songs of all time - #96 - The Jim... - 24/10/2009 12:30:09 PM   
tommyjarvis

No. 95: The Cure - Friday I'm In Love

"Monday you can fall apart; Tuesday, Wednesday break my heart"

Given their influence on the gothic music scene, it's odd how many cheerful, upbeat songs The Cure are known for. Boys Don't Cry and Inbetween Days are superb, but it's this sweet singalong that probably marks their peak. Quite simply, it's a perfect pop song, nothing too profound or innovative, just a fun tune celebrating love. Wonderfully catchy and almost charmingly innocent [the line, "Such a gorgeous sight to see you eat in the middle of the night" could be taken in a cruder metaphorical fashion, but that kinda kills the mood], this is pretty much guaranteed to cheer you up no matter what your situation. Even if it's Monday morning.

Listen here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSmfNxmaQHc

Get it on: Wish 1992

Post #: 29
RE: TJ's Top 101 Rock Songs of all time - #96 - The Jim... - 24/10/2009 8:42:32 PM   
Olaf

Two fantastic picks those. Friday I'm In Love isn't my favourite Cure song but it's genius.

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Audiophile >> TJ's Top 101 Rock Songs - One. And the winner is *drumroll*... Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI