Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Halloween II

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Halloween II Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Halloween II - 13/10/2009 12:00:13 PM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
RE: Halloween II - 13/10/2009 2:52:50 PM   
grucl

Sorry, but didn't

***SPOILER for Halloween (2007) ****

Laurie shoot Michael in the head at the end of part 1?

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
RE: Halloween II - 13/10/2009 7:08:29 PM   
evil bill

Halloween II is a surprisingly fun slasher sequel to the classic and much better Carpenter directed masterpiece.. It has clear ideas and has a much different but equally scary concept,but thats where it ends. Instead of a small town street, we're in a sleepy hospital overnight where Lara Strobe has just been taken too. It just starts where the first left off,immediately your in the chase for Micheal. If Halloween II were confined to the hospital, with suspense slowly rising, with the murders all within the confines of the Hospital,and Jamie Lee Curtis immobilized in her room.This could have been a far better movie as it is it get's caught in knots story wise,and the tension just gives way to set piece,but tame murder,that almost completely ruin scenes of potentially great fright and suspense.3/5It's still better than the remake by miles.

< Message edited by evil bill -- 13/10/2009 7:20:20 PM >

"You listen to me now,i will find you and i will kill you!"

(in reply to grucl)
Post #: 3
Newman Knows Nothing - 13/10/2009 10:51:39 PM   
zombiewarehouse

Rob Zombie has produced the most original Halloween sequel by far and Newman slates it. Shock horror. Ironically this review is from the man who gave Jason X a four star rating. Carpenter went for subtlety, Zombie has gone for the polar opposite. Theres a lot going for this film. Visually its the best looking horror film for years. Performances from in particular Dourif and Harris are solid, though I feel McDowell is wasted as Loomis. This is not to be compared to the genious of the 78 original. This is a totally diffrerent beast. This is the film I hoped Zombie would make back in 2007 when I first heard he was making his own Halloween. He failed hugely with that, trying to fit in too many Carpenterisms. Here he succeeds in making a Halloween that is dirty, disturbing and graphic. What the hell else do people expect Rob Zombie to make? Real life violence IS how its portrayed here. Its nasty and hard to watch. Thats his point.

Post #: 4
RE: Newman Knows Nothing - 14/10/2009 9:43:04 AM   
Goodfella

Erm, excuse me....

http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=2544318

quote:

Rob Zombie has produced the most original Halloween sequel by far and Newman slates it. Shock horror. Ironically this review is from the man who gave Jason X a four star rating. Carpenter went for subtlety, Zombie has gone for the polar opposite. Theres a lot going for this film. Visually its the best looking horror film for years. Performances from in particular Dourif and Harris are solid, though I feel McDowell is wasted as Loomis. This is not to be compared to the genious of the 78 original. This is a totally diffrerent beast. This is the film I hoped Zombie would make back in 2007 when I first heard he was making his own Halloween. He failed hugely with that, trying to fit in too many Carpenterisms. Here he succeeds in making a Halloween that is dirty, disturbing and graphic. What the hell else do people expect Rob Zombie to make? Real life violence IS how its portrayed here. Its nasty and hard to watch. Thats his point./quote]

First of all, it's not a sequel, it's a remake so comparing it to the actual Halloween sequels can be rendered totally pointless. There's no shock horror whatsover in it unless you have an inane fear of blood which any director with the right prosthetics and make-up and half a brain cell can produce, gore has been overused time and time again in horror films (especially slashers), it's as dead and buried as most of Michael Myers kills, it's nothing "original" whatsoever. Visually it's clearly stolen some ideas from 'The Shining' if you ask me, the performances aren't terrible although Dr Sam Loomis rock-star image is nonsense as his character is supposed to be the one no-one listens too, the one who's fighting to protect Laurie and keep Myers locked up. Zombie is entitled to his own take on things but his take is a drawn-out, psychobabble, dreadfully scripted great big pile of trash.

"It is the Shawshank Redemption! Just with more tunneling through shit and less fucking redemption."

If you can quote the rules, then you can obey them.

(in reply to zombiewarehouse)
Post #: 5
RE: Halloween II - 14/10/2009 10:48:48 AM   
CORLEONE

quote:

ORIGINAL: evil bill

Halloween II is a surprisingly fun slasher sequel to the classic and much better Carpenter directed masterpiece.. It has clear ideas and has a much different but equally scary concept,but thats where it ends. Instead of a small town street, we're in a sleepy hospital overnight where Lara Strobe has just been taken too. It just starts where the first left off,immediately your in the chase for Micheal. If Halloween II were confined to the hospital, with suspense slowly rising, with the murders all within the confines of the Hospital,and Jamie Lee Curtis immobilized in her room.This could have been a far better movie as it is it get's caught in knots story wise,and the tension just gives way to set piece,but tame murder,that almost completely ruin scenes of potentially great fright and suspense.3/5It's still better than the remake by miles.

Why'd you change your opinion? I'm sure you gave it 2/5 and said that it was shite, then I come back here and it's a 3 star enjoyable horror!? What happened, man?

Al Swearengen: "Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back".

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 6
IDIOT - 14/10/2009 11:04:32 AM   
7eke

once again a kim newman review where the plot summary is as long as the actual review. you are an idiot kim newman. sort it out Empire.

the rating is for the review

Post #: 7
Reviewer is a s***bag. - 14/10/2009 12:35:08 PM   
Christian28

This movie was FAR better than 1 star.

Whats the matter? No big Hollywood names or cool CGI so that means this movie gets 1 star?....Go f**k yourself.

Post #: 8
Harsh - 14/10/2009 12:56:56 PM   
sephiroth7

First up, Halloween The Curse of MM is a shit entry to the franchise but Halloween Resurrection makes it look like The Godfather by comparison. But I digress, God help me I actually enjoyed this flick. The hospital sequence is clearly paying homage to H2 1981 and it's damn good cinema too. The rest of the movie tries to pump some originality into a genre sadly lacking. You wouldn't wanna make too much of it but this is certainly better than The Friday remake and, indeed, most of the tired remake bile horror fans have to put up with.

Post #: 9
Empire gets it SOO wrong... Yet Again!! - 14/10/2009 2:35:04 PM   
losthighway

Halloween 2 was very good. Easily a 4 star rating. Zombie has done the Halloween legacy proud with this installment and ended his take on the story with a brilliant paradox. I loved every minute of it!

Post #: 10
RE: Reviewer is a s***bag. - 14/10/2009 5:38:40 PM   
Goodfella

quote:

ORIGINAL: Christian28

Whats the matter? No big Hollywood names or cool CGI so that means this movie gets 1 star?....Go f**k yourself.

Review of the year?

The original Halloween (1978) was made on a budget of just 300,000. It included a cast of either teen soap regulars or virtual unknowns, and Donald Pleasance. As a huge fan of it my issue with Zombie's "re-imaginings" have got zero to do with the fact that Bruce Willis or Nicole Kidman isn't it.

CGI doesn't belong in slasher horror and if your attack is on Empire's recent reviews, whilst yes I think sometimes they have petered to Hollywood's big names, I feel they still remain a good reflective of the demographic and take note of some of the surprising films coming out.

"It is the Shawshank Redemption! Just with more tunneling through shit and less fucking redemption."

(in reply to Christian28)
Post #: 11
RE: Halloween II - 14/10/2009 6:06:26 PM   
evil bill

quote:

ORIGINAL: CORLEONE

quote:

ORIGINAL: evil bill

Why'd you change your opinion? I'm sure you gave it 2/5 and said that it was shite, then I come back here and it's a 3 star enjoyable horror!? What happened, man?

Easy this review is for Halloween 2 (1981)I've put the review for Halloween 2 (2009) on that review thread.And i never said it was shite,just i felt let down and it was a bloody wick script,that had notting new to offer.If i thought it was shite i would have gave it 0/5,as it was it had it's moments and was watchable but not worth the cinema ticket to see it,wait for the rental DVD and save some hard earned cash.Not my fault there's two side by side reviews of the same bloody movie.

"You listen to me now,i will find you and i will kill you!"

(in reply to CORLEONE)
Post #: 12
Halloween II - 14/10/2009 6:07:25 PM   
elab49

quote:

Try to use your words to give your opinion of the film, yes? Leave the pointless abuse at the door.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

Post #: 13
RE: Halloween II - 14/10/2009 7:40:02 PM   
Goodfella

To avoid the confusion over these reviews this thread should be closed as I, yes I, posted first.

This is thread duplicacy and that is against ze Empire rules.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 14
RE: Halloween II - 14/10/2009 8:11:38 PM   
Dr Lenera

After Rob Zombie's suspenseless,slightly tedious remake of Halloween,his sequel,although it doesn't come near the quality of his first two movies,is a bit more interesting. Zombie is still obsessed with having his characters say F*** every second and doesn't let us see most of the killings properly as he shakes the camera around far too much. What's the point of having all this gore if you can't really enjoy it?. When will director's learn that it's a cheap and easy way to attempt to create excitement? Nonetheless,there's a bit more tension,and with dream sequences almost blurring reality and fantasy the movie has a slightly odd feel that is at times quite compelling. Overall,this is better than expected but still a little pointless-come on,Rob,now you've done Halloween to death go back to making some original movies.

check out more of my reviews on http://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 15
RE: Halloween II - 14/10/2009 8:13:40 PM   
Dr Lenera

quote:

ORIGINAL: Goodfella

To avoid the confusion over these reviews this thread should be closed as I, yes I, posted first.

Wasn't sure which one to post my review in but chose this one as it has the ratings! Maybe they can be merged,mods?

check out more of my reviews on http://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 16
Absolute Shit - 14/10/2009 10:18:47 PM   
bennyblanco

< Message edited by bennyblanco -- 14/10/2009 10:30:28 PM >

Post #: 17
Garbage - 14/10/2009 10:27:51 PM   
bennyblanco

I thought he got shot in the head in part 1? There are so many continuity errors in this film, so many ridiculous ideas (the "White Horse" segements, still laughing at how bad those were), so many plot holes it makes me wonder if Zombie was stoned while making this. When he remade/imagined part one, Zombie said he wanted to make Myers more real than supernatural, so he continues this in part two by taking a guy who got shot in the head and turns him into a bearded hoodie. Zombie is a good visual director, but his story telling on this occasion sucks. Please don't let there be another Halloween movie, just leave the franchise be so we can reflect on fonder times of how good the original was compared to this and the other tosh the franchise has churned out.

Post #: 18
Halloween 2 (2009) - 15/10/2009 12:39:36 AM   
JJB888

Now I was one of those who actually thought the re-make was not bad, the origin story was an interesting idea and the film only tripped up in trying to replicate Carpenter's original and with an over the top finale. Halloween 2 however has barely any redeeming qualities, the plot though innovative completely does not work well on-screen. At times things are so bizarre you don't know whether to watch or phone up the people in white coats to come and take away Mr. Zombie. Gore hounds will no doubt be satisfied by the kills but they are not really inventive and Halloween 2 is bloody disgusting, the dog eating scene made me feel ill. Also no matter how bad all the other Halloween films managed to give Michael a mystique about him, even during his brief unmasking in the original, however so much of Michael's face is shown so often in the few light scenes of the film that, even with the mask he is no longer mysterious or scary. The character of Laurie has been turned into a mosher and it just looks all too formulaeic - Girl's life in tatters years later, he will not come back, etc. The only thing I enjoyed about the film was McDowell's performance which was entertaining and a unique spin on the character. However not even that was enough to save this disaster, I mean Michael is litterally a 6'8'' "hobo" and watching people pick a fight with him (despite his monsterous size) really gets tiresome. Not to mention the car lifting scene! Why not in the enevitable Halloween 3D have him throwing houses at people. So in conclusion this is plain bad, a disgusting array of stupidity that has few reccomendable qualities, people were walking out of the cinema (and I am not lying) terrible film and could be a potential franchise killer, probably on par with Halloween 6 then.

Post #: 19
Halloween 2 (2009) - 15/10/2009 12:39:39 AM   
JJB888

Now I was one of those who actually thought the re-make was not bad, the origin story was an interesting idea and the film only tripped up in trying to replicate Carpenter's original and with an over the top finale. Halloween 2 however has barely any redeeming qualities, the plot though innovative completely does not work well on-screen. At times things are so bizarre you don't know whether to watch or phone up the people in white coats to come and take away Mr. Zombie. Gore hounds will no doubt be satisfied by the kills but they are not really inventive and Halloween 2 is bloody disgusting, the dog eating scene made me feel ill. Also no matter how bad all the other Halloween films managed to give Michael a mystique about him, even during his brief unmasking in the original, however so much of Michael's face is shown so often in the few light scenes of the film that, even with the mask he is no longer mysterious or scary. The character of Laurie has been turned into a mosher and it just looks all too formulaeic - Girl's life in tatters years later, he will not come back, etc. The only thing I enjoyed about the film was McDowell's performance which was entertaining and a unique spin on the character. However not even that was enough to save this disaster, I mean Michael is litterally a 6'8'' "hobo" and watching people pick a fight with him (despite his monsterous size) really gets tiresome. Not to mention the car lifting scene! Why not in the enevitable Halloween 3D have him throwing houses at people. So in conclusion this is plain bad, a disgusting array of stupidity that has few reccomendable qualities, people were walking out of the cinema (and I am not lying) terrible film and could be a potential franchise killer, probably on par with Halloween 6 then.

Post #: 20
RE: Halloween II - 15/10/2009 12:41:55 AM   
Goodfella

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dr Lenera

quote:

Wasn't sure which one to post my review in but chose this one as it has the ratings! Maybe they can be merged,mods?

I posted first! I POSTED FIRST! Just cause Empire are being bloody slow with putting their reviews online!

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 21
RE: Garbage - 15/10/2009 8:44:53 AM   
grucl

quote:

ORIGINAL: bennyblanco

I thought he got shot in the head in part 1? There are so many continuity errors in this film, so many ridiculous ideas (the "White Horse" segements, still laughing at how bad those were), so many plot holes it makes me wonder if Zombie was stoned while making this. When he remade/imagined part one, Zombie said he wanted to make Myers more real than supernatural, so he continues this in part two by taking a guy who got shot in the head and turns him into a bearded hoodie. Zombie is a good visual director, but his story telling on this occasion sucks. Please don't let there be another Halloween movie, just leave the franchise be so we can reflect on fonder times of how good the original was compared to this and the other tosh the franchise has churned out.

So there is no expalination how he survived the headshot? Jeez...

(in reply to bennyblanco)
Post #: 22
RE: Garbage - 15/10/2009 8:55:25 AM   
CORLEONE

How does Rob Zombie get to keep making movies?

Al Swearengen: "Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back".

(in reply to grucl)
Post #: 23
RE: Garbage - 15/10/2009 5:59:13 PM   
Goodfella

quote:

ORIGINAL: grucl

quote:

To be fair Michael Myers survived everything from being shot off a high-rise balcony to being burnt alive and getting his head chopped off in the original Halloween films so...

quote:

He does gross-out, black comedy horror well. 'House Of 1000 Corpses' and 'The Devil's Rejects' are good films in their own right, he takes a lot of inspiration from 70s and 80s horror, or so he claims but this is not something he's suited too. He may be a big Halloween fan but he's gone about this arse about face at the end of the day.

(in reply to grucl)
Post #: 24
RE: Halloween II - 15/10/2009 10:39:04 PM   
Christian28

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

Try to use your words to give your opinion of the film, yes? Leave the pointless abuse at the door.

My bad....

I really get miffed with EMPIRE sometimes, they hype and hype about a movie and the next thing you know, somebody has reviewed it and it's been given 2 stars!

Apologies to anyone that was offended by my last post.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 25
RE: Halloween II - 16/10/2009 11:11:35 AM   
Goodfella

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

My bad....

I really get miffed with EMPIRE sometimes, they hype and hype about a movie and the next thing you know, somebody has reviewed it and it's been given 2 stars!

Apologies to anyone that was offended by my last post.

No-one's offended by it (well there are a few on here who struggle to understand the meaning of an opinion), I just would go a little more into detail next time.

And to be fair Empire haven't hyped up any of Rob Zombie's Halloween films, in fact I don't even think there's been any sort of feature on them yet.

Post #: 26
RE: Garbage - 16/10/2009 11:26:44 AM   
HughesRoss

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: grucl

quote:

To be fair Michael Myers survived everything from being shot off a high-rise balcony to being burnt alive and getting his head chopped off in the original Halloween films so...

quote:

He does gross-out, black comedy horror well. 'House Of 1000 Corpses' and 'The Devil's Rejects' are good films in their own right, he takes a lot of inspiration from 70s and 80s horror, or so he claims but this is not something he's suited too. He may be a big Halloween fan but he's gone about this arse about face at the end of the day.

To be fair to the man in the William Shatner mask....it was not him that had his head sent flying....in a Scooby Doo moment that destroyed the Halloween franchise....."I took off his mask and it was the Ambulance guy"...

At least H2 did not have Busta Ryhmes doing a Jet Li impression

Goodfella...I love the Halloween franchise and I hated the re-make at first (the directors cut made it a better film) and I found some enjoyment from the sequel, only because of the Friday re-make that left an awful aftertaste...but YOU.....may goodness, I have never read someone who hates a film so much  You must have sat in that cinema, spitting out blood at what you were seeing

Our first ever HCF MOVIE AWARDS

http://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/2012/01/horrorcultfilms-movie-awards-of-2011-all-the-winners-right-here-of-our-first-ever-hcf-awards/

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 27
RE: Garbage - 16/10/2009 2:00:28 PM   
StevieE

I thought it was pretty poor to be honest. I thought Zombies first Halloween was ok, the first half especially showing Mike as a kid and how he turned into the monster he became. McDowell as Loomis was great casting too. It was definetly more sophisticated than this follow up and I remember watching a 'making of' on the DVD where Zombie says he wanted to match Carpenters suspense in the original and avoid a gorefest like modern horrors today which is completely what he goes against in this sequel.

The problem is that the first 20 mins in the hospital are SO gory and violent that what follows seems like nothing compared. Loomis is wasted in this film too and as for Laurie and her friends - I was cheering Michael on they annoyed me so much by the end! And what near miss victim of a serial killer would have a "in Manson (Charles) we trust" poster on their bedroom wall? She'd be scarred for life let alone celebrate serial killers! Terrible, terrible acting on a poor script! And the dream like scenes with the horse and Michaels mum just slowed the pace throughout. I definetly won't be watching Zombies Halloween 3.

(in reply to HughesRoss)
Post #: 28
Halloween 2 - 16/10/2009 10:17:29 PM   
Soprano168

Rob Zombie claimed he had no intention of making a sequal to his 2007 remake that ended with Michael getting a bullet in the brain. H2 takes place a year later with Laurie now traumatised and suffrening from nightmares and hallucinations and sleeps with a portrait of Charles Manson above her bed. Zombie clearly loves the orginal but his vision is violent, ugly and makes more of a mess of the franchise than Michael ever has his victims. This is just fresh evidence showing that Michael really needs to quit the killing business.

Post #: 29
Horrible and nasty movie - 17/10/2009 2:49:07 AM   
Kev2012

This movie has no redeeming features at all. It wastes the cast, the kills belong in a Friday The 13th movie, not a Halloween movie, and the ending? Words fail me. It completely trashes the legacy of Carpenter's original movie. It took until Halloween : H20 to redeem the original series of movies. It's going to take something special to redeem this mess. Rob Zombie, please stay away from any classic horror movie. Please.

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Halloween II Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI