Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Worth seeing Pixar's "UP" in 3D or just 2D

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> Worth seeing Pixar's "UP" in 3D or just 2D Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Worth seeing Pixar's "UP" in 3D or just 2D - 10/10/2009 10:05:06 PM   
hampstead bandit

I've only seen one modern film (Direct 3D) in 3D which was "The Final Destination", an average movie (certainly the weakest of the four Final Destination films) that the 3D gave a novelty factor to

What was also novel, was the extortionate price of 27 for 2 adult day time tickets at an Odeon cinema in Central London

Something both my partner and I noticed whilst seeing The Final Destination in 3D was a reduced picture quality (a "brassy" quality and flat brightness in places) and issues relating to sudden camera panning within the film (a stuttering effect similar to imported pan and scan US television shows like M*A*S*H)

Bearing this in mind, is it worth actually seeing Pixar's new film "UP" in 3D? Or just seeing it in 2D and enjoying the film for what it is? (a very good, but not brilliant film, from what I have read in reviews)

I don't really want to pay 27 again to have a reduced picture quality..

regarding other 3D releases like James Cameron's forthcoming "Avatar", seeing the trailer in 3D when we saw "The Final Destination 3D" totally convinced me it needs to be seen in 3D!

any thoughts....
Post #: 1
RE: Worth seeing Pixar's "UP" in 3D or just 2D - 10/10/2009 10:14:26 PM   
adambatman82

I've seen the majority of this years 3D flicks in 3D, and would say that UP is by far the best (and that includes the 15minute Avatar preview). It really did add something to Up, something far beyond gimmick. Up is great by the way, its up there with (500) Days of Summer and Inglourious Basterds as far as the best commercial films of the year for me. Its much better than the 4 star reviews have made it out to be.

(in reply to hampstead bandit)
Post #: 2
RE: Worth seeing Pixar's "UP" in 3D or just 2D - 10/10/2009 10:16:54 PM   
captainrentboy

Up in 3D impressed me faaaar more than Final Destination did.
Up wasn't about poking stuff in your face continuously,infact I think there were only three occasions when something came out of the screen towards me. It was about clearly layering a particular scene more than anything else (A bit like the Avatar 16 min preview), with most sequences there was a clear and defined foreground, centre and background with a great sense of depth to it. Sequences with windows particularly impressed me, it always felt like I could stick my head in the screen and look through the window and out into another area.....
I find it hard to explain
But definitely better than FD, that flick just made me feel a bit sick and the 3D really distracted me from the thrilling plot...

(in reply to hampstead bandit)
Post #: 3
RE: Worth seeing Pixar's "UP" in 3D or just 2D - 10/10/2009 10:23:43 PM   
hampstead bandit

thanks for the info!

I think its going to be UP in 3D, which is easier to view in London, than trying to find a theatre showing it in 2D

I did notice the Avatar 3D trailer was much more "subtle" than The Final Destination, the Avatar trailer was very "layered" and drew the viewer in, with The Final Destination the 3D seemed like a gimmick, with screwdrivers on a race track, or a gory death jumping out at the audience and ruining the suspension of disbelief

(in reply to captainrentboy)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> Worth seeing Pixar's "UP" in 3D or just 2D Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI