Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: My Favourite 100 Movies - #81 A Thousand Clowns

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: My Favourite 100 Movies - #81 A Thousand Clowns Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: My Favourite 100 Movies - #81 A Thousand Clowns - 22/10/2009 5:30:52 PM   
rick_7

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rinc

quote:

ORIGINAL: rick_7

I figured she was my dream woman 'til Mrs_7 appeared...

What happened to the other 6?

Let's just say my patio is very well-insulated.

quote:

I'm really enjoying this list too. I've only seen 8 of them so far but i'm liking all the reviews of the ones i haven't seen. In fact your review of Ghost World made me watch it after meaning to watch it for a long time. I actually find Enid quite likeable she's just got some problems like a lot of late teens.

Yes, I agree (about Enid, not my reviews). I'm glad people/a person is looking for the movies in the list, that makes me happy. What did you think of Ghost World as a whole?

*Wendy Hiller fanboy*

Blog: DJANGO! DUMBO! DESPICABLE ME 2! Plus: other stuff.

"Nothin's really been right since Sam the Lion died."

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 91
RE: My Favourite 100 Movies - #81 A Thousand Clowns - 22/10/2009 5:31:53 PM   
rick_7

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gimli The Dwarf

It'll be interesting to see how this list compares with your top 250 from about 4 year back. There's a few films already that have changed positions by quite a jump.

Is that list still online? I think it took me about two days to compile, while this new one took me about an hour - it's amazing what a deadline will do for you.

*Wendy Hiller fanboy*

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 92
RE: My Favourite 100 Movies - #81 A Thousand Clowns - 22/10/2009 5:35:39 PM   
jonson

Great thread Rick, obviously (and I knew this before I opened the thread) I've not seen half of these films, and half of those I haven't even heard of. 
Looking forward to seeing where Revenge of the Sith is.........
And obviously Shark Attack 3 for fuck's sake.
Anyway, for someone still finding great "unknown" films, this makes an enjoyable read, thanks.

I've got all the Barbie ones!!!

Yeah but you're old. Really old. Old. Old. Old. Old.

(in reply to rick_7)
Post #: 93
RE: My Favourite 100 Movies - #81 A Thousand Clowns - 22/10/2009 5:45:50 PM   
rick_7

Cheers.

"SA3 isn't.. err," he says, shifting uneasily in his chair. "It's not.. It just... isn'tinthelistsorryJonson."

I haven't seen Revenge of the Sith. I do have a very good excuse, though, as I'd seen Attack of the Clones and the thought of more of the same made me feel both unhappy and cross. And also slightly nauseous. Is it any good? Sith, that is, not Clones, which is unbelievably wank. The only bit I've seen is the "Do not waaaaaant!" scene.

*Wendy Hiller fanboy*

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 94
RE: My Favourite 100 Movies - #80 The Purple Rose of Cairo - 22/10/2009 5:47:52 PM   
rick_7

80. The Purple Rose of Cairo (Woody Allen, 1984) – The term "bittersweet" could have been coined to describe this Depression-set comedy drama, and particularly its heartbreaking ending. Mia Farrow is a world-beaten waitress who seeks solace in the movie theatre. After losing her job and being beaten by her slob of a husband, she takes to watching the new (fictional) RKO movie – The Purple Rose of Cairo – every evening. Then, one night, the hero (Jeff Daniels) walks off the screen and into her life. Naturally all hell breaks loose, with the actor playing the hero (Daniels again) is sent to sort out the problem. It's a sensitive, touching, frequently hilarious movie that evokes its period perfectly and is anchored by two wonderful leads: Farrow is one of the most underrated actresses around and was Allen's muse during his most creative period. Here the writer-director celebrates the escapist power of the movies, whilst making salient points about the artifice and falsity of the medium. The final scene, utilising Fred and Ginger at their zenith, is simply perfect.

Favourite bit: The ending, really, but we've mentioned that twice already. How about the music shop sing-along to 'Alabamy Bound', the old Eddie Cantor song?

See also: The film seems to be based partly on the classic Buster Keaton short, Sherlock, Jr., which was also the apparent inspiration for the Looney Tunes classic Duck Amuck (though different sections influenced the two films). Allen's Radio Days, a hymn to the airwaves, rather than to celluloid, is less poignant, but a very nice film nonetheless.

< Message edited by rick_7 -- 22/10/2009 6:59:21 PM >

*Wendy Hiller fanboy*

(in reply to rick_7)
Post #: 95
RE: My Favourite 100 Movies - #80 The Purple Rose of Cairo - 22/10/2009 9:25:35 PM   
_Eraserhead_

The Purple Rose of Cairo is very high on my 2C-list. Allen's output in the 80's is turning into one of my favourite decennial output. Having seen 5 of his 80's films my favourites are Crimes and Misdemeanors and Broadway Danny Rose (Mia Farrow is definitely an underrated actress!)

Last 10/10 film seen:
Big Wednesday (1978, John Milius)

(in reply to rick_7)
Post #: 96
RE: My Favourite 100 Movies - #81 A Thousand Clowns - 22/10/2009 11:23:46 PM   
Gimli The Dwarf

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gimli The Dwarf

It'll be interesting to see how this list compares with your top 250 from about 4 year back. There's a few films already that have changed positions by quite a jump.

Is that list still online? I think it took me about two days to compile, while this new one took me about an hour - it's amazing what a deadline will do for you.

It can still be found, way, way down in the depths of the forum. I remember being happy that Two Two Towers made the cut

The Purple Rose Of Cairo is my 4th favourite so far on this list and makes my top 3 Allen films. At the time I saw it I hadn't been all that impressed with the films of his I'd seen, so it was an unexpected treat.

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to rick_7)
Post #: 97
RE: My Favourite 100 Movies - #81 A Thousand Clowns - 23/10/2009 1:04:45 AM   
rawlinson

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: rawlinson

Rick, can I just say how glad I am you're doing this list. I thought some of the choices you made for the top 100 poll were fascinating and unusual and it's great reading your thoughts on them. There's one film especially that we both have in our top 100s that doesn't seem to turn up much in top 100s, so I can't wait to read your review of it.

Thanks, that's really nice of you. I wonder what the film we have in common is...

We actually have a couple that cross over, about four or five, I think. But the one I was thinking of that doesn't show up much is number 14 on the list you submitted. An excellent film that doesn't get anywhere near enough love.

(in reply to rick_7)
Post #: 98
RE: My Favourite 100 Movies - #81 A Thousand Clowns - 23/10/2009 10:23:03 AM   
rick_7

Oh, that one. It's just wonderful and it seems to get better each time I see it - I caught it last on the big screen when they had a Huston retrospective in Sheffield. It's one of the few movies that makes me cry. So does the.. book.

79. The Man Who Would Be King (John Huston, 1975) – Based on a Kipling story, this is an imperial adventure in the tradition of The Lives of a Bengal Lancer, Gunga Din and The Four Feathers, but grander and more cynical. Told in flashback to Kipling himself (played by Christopher Plummer), the story sees scoundrels Michael Caine and Sean Connery resign from the British colonial forces and travel in search of adventure – eventually setting themselves up as gods in Kafiristan. That Caine is recalling the story whilst dressed in rags and looking close to death suggests that all may not end happily. The film has echoes of the director's 1948 classic, The Treasure of the Sierra Madre, with its attractive rogues destroyed by greed, but it's lighter in tone for the most part, with deliciously tongue-in-cheek performances by the stars. This delightful film offers top-grade entertainment, along with a "be careful what you wish for" moral that's certainly dissuaded me from trying to colonise land-locked countries in south central Asia.

Favourite bit: The haunting opening, in which Northern Star journalist Kipling is visited by a filthy vagrant. As the man begins to speak, his identity becomes clear...

See also: Gunga Din, the 1939 classic based on Kipling's poem, with Cary Grant, Douglas Fairbanks, Jr. and Victor McLaglen as boozing, brawling soldiers putting down a Thuggish cult. Incredible action scenes and wonderful comic playing make it pure fun. I wish I could have included it in the list proper. The Four Feathers is more straight-faced, but similarly wonderful, while Soldiers Three – a largely unknown early-'50s effort – offers more of the same, with an extra layer of farce.

< Message edited by rick_7 -- 23/10/2009 10:28:49 AM >

*Wendy Hiller fanboy*

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 99
RE: My Favourite 100 Movies - #81 A Thousand Clowns - 23/10/2009 10:33:00 AM   
rawlinson

quote:

Oh, that one. It's just wonderful and it seems to get better each time I see it - I caught it last on the big screen when they had a Huston retrospective in Sheffield. It's one of the few movies that makes me cry. So does the.. book.

Now I'm jealous. I haven't seen it on the big screen.  The novella makes me crumble every time. One of the most perfect pieces of fiction ever created, every single word just makes you wish you could create something that beautiful.

quote:

while Soldiers Three – a largely unknown early-'50s effort – offers more of the same, with an extra layer of farce.

I didn't know there was a film of Soldiers Three, I'll have to try and dig out a copy.

(in reply to rick_7)
Post #: 100
RE: My Favourite 100 Movies - #81 A Thousand Clowns - 23/10/2009 10:48:36 AM   
rick_7

Yes, I agree about the book; it's thematically shattering but also exalting because it's perfect. The only change I can detect in the adaptation is that 'The Lass of Aughrim' plays out in full in the film, rather than being cut off. You can understand why Joyce didn't include it all, and why Huston did - I think the change suits the movie but wouldn't have improved the novella. I went to the house where the story is set when I was in Dublin, though not inside, as it was closed. As was the Joyce museum. I've dropped all pretence of mystery about what #14 is - I thought I was being admirably vague by not mentioning it was a short story, but then I mentioned Huston. By which, of course, I meant Houston. As in: "Houston we have a problem." Apollo 13, my #14.

Soldiers Three is great fun, though perhaps not as satisfying in terms of its human relationships as the other films I mentioned. There's a fantastic bit, though, when Granger comes to the rescue, only to find that he doesn't really know what to do. Seeing the would-be hero being patronised by sarcastic buddies in the midst of battle is something we don't get nearly enough in movies.

< Message edited by rick_7 -- 23/10/2009 11:12:29 AM >

*Wendy Hiller fanboy*

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 101
RE: My Favourite 100 Movies - #81 A Thousand Clowns - 23/10/2009 11:09:42 AM   
elab49

quote:

quote:

Now I'm jealous. I haven't seen it on the big screen.  The novella makes me crumble every time. One of the most perfect pieces of fiction ever created, every single word just makes you wish you could create something that beautiful.

Honestly - how can you both get so mushy over the List of Adrian Messenger

I adore The Man Who - one of the side of film where I share my taste with my dad. I rather like the final battle - Danny coming back down to earth and Peachy there for him as usual.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 102
RE: My Favourite 100 Movies - #81 A Thousand Clowns - 23/10/2009 12:09:51 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

quote:

quote:

Honestly - how can you both get so mushy over the List of Adrian Messenger

Can we all pretend it's that so I don't feel bad for spoiling a spot on Rick's list?

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 103
RE: My Favourite 100 Movies - #81 A Thousand Clowns - 23/10/2009 12:15:15 PM   
Pigeon Army

Too late - even I've worked it out, and I must be the second most populist motherfucker on these boards after Epi D. 

quote:

She's supposed to be 13! I'd want her to be very attractive though

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat
quote:

ORIGINAL: Pigeon Army
Stop being mean to Deviation

No.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 104
RE: My Favourite 100 Movies - #81 A Thousand Clowns - 23/10/2009 12:26:47 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

Too late - even I've worked it out, and I must be the second most populist motherfucker on these boards after Epi D. 

Now I really do feel awful.

(in reply to Pigeon Army)
Post #: 105
RE: My Favourite 100 Movies - #81 A Thousand Clowns - 23/10/2009 1:05:51 PM   
rick_7

quote:

Can we all pretend it's that so I don't feel bad for spoiling a spot on Rick's list?

Don't worry, I'm pretty sure I'm responsible.. I'll sub it out and put another Huston one in. How about Reflections in a Golden Eye? That's one of my favourite screwball comedies.

*Wendy Hiller fanboy*

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 106
RE: My Favourite 100 Movies - #81 A Thousand Clowns - 23/10/2009 4:22:58 PM   
chris_scott01

I remember your top 250 list, I took that recommendation from it but still haven't got around to it.

rapidite! rapidite!

(in reply to rick_7)
Post #: 107
RE: My Favourite 100 Movies - #81 A Thousand Clowns - 23/10/2009 7:55:54 PM   
Epiphany Demon

quote:

Fuck a goat, dickface

I've seen foreign films! And 40's films! And silent films!

I just... like Bad Boys II. Is that a crime now?

THE ALTERNATIVE LOOK AT BOB DYLAN'S DISCOGRAPHY - ONE DAY MAYBE I'LL FINISH IT

Post #: 108
RE: My Favourite 100 Movies - #81 A Thousand Clowns - 23/10/2009 11:11:01 PM   
Deviation

The Rape of Nanking>Bad Boys II

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to Epiphany Demon)
Post #: 109
RE: My Favourite 100 Movies - #93 - She Wore a Yellow R... - 24/10/2009 4:58:46 PM   
jamesbondguy

Wait, James Joyce isn't a populist reading choice anymore? Nearly everyone I know is talking about Finnegans Wake. It's the hot new thing!

Just like Geoffrey Ingram.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 110
RE: My Favourite 100 Movies - #93 - She Wore a Yellow R... - 24/10/2009 11:25:45 PM   
Pigeon Army

quote:

ORIGINAL: jamesbondguy

Wait, James Joyce isn't a populist reading choice anymore? Nearly everyone I know is talking about Finnegans Wake. It's the hot new thing!

I think you answered your own question there, Jayb. Four people don't count as 'populist'.

quote:

quote:

quote:

No.

(in reply to jamesbondguy)
Post #: 111
RE: My Favourite 100 Movies - #93 - She Wore a Yellow R... - 24/10/2009 11:45:02 PM   
Deviation

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: jamesbondguy

I think you answered your own question there, Jayb. Four people don't count as 'populist'.

But he has a point, what tool doesn't know about Ulysses?

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

I really wish I could go down to see Privates

Post #: 112
My Favourite 100 Movies - #78 Singin' in the Rain - 26/10/2009 11:51:25 AM   
rick_7

"Doo doo doo doo, doo doo doo doo doo doo doo doo doo..."
78. Singin' in the Rain (Stanley Donen and Gene Kelly, 1952) is often held up as the apex of Hollywood's musical moviemaking and it isn't hard to see why. It has several of the best numbers ever put on screen – the title song, The 'Broadway Melody' production number, Donald O'Connor's comic tour-de-force, 'Make 'em Laugh' and his 'Moses Supposes' dance routine with Gene Kelly – and precisely no filler. The songs, all of which were written for previous productions, are seamlessly integrated into the endlessly amusing script, which was written by MGM's top scribes Betty Comden and Adolph Green (their efforts are less acidic than usual and all the better for it). Gene Kelly is the silent swashbuckler whose career looks to have been derailed by the advent of talking pictures, until new girlfriend Debbie Reynolds encourages him to turn his latest movie into a song-and-dance extravaganza. Of course deluded co-star Jean Hagen (in a hysterical, movie-thieving performance) isn't so keen, since she has a voice like a stuck cat. Beguiling leads, inspired direction (from Kelly and regular collaborator Stanley Donen) and uproarious supporting turns from Hagen and wisecracking, goofing livewire Donald O'Connor provide a fine frame for some of the best musical bits ever put on film.

Favourite bit: The title number, gloriously choreographed and performed by Kelly. He's dancing in heavily diluted milk, incidentally, since water wouldn't show up on camera.

See also: There's a prototype of O'Connor's delirious 'Make 'em Laugh' number in the little-seen Deanna Durbin vehicle Something in the Wind, where O'Connor does quite a bit of the routine, including the behind-the-sofa fight and the collapsing Dervish gag. Kelly made a heap of top musicals at MGM, including An American in Paris, Brigadoon and The Pirate. O'Connor and Reynolds re-teamed a year after Singin' in the Rain for I Love Melvin, which contains his rollerskate dance and "world tour" number and her showstopping 'A Lady Loves' routine.

*Wendy Hiller fanboy*

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 113
RE: My Favourite 100 Movies - #78 Singin' in the Rain - 26/10/2009 12:10:29 PM   
elab49

You mentioned Brigadoon. Why would you gratuitously upset someone by mentioning Brigadoon

I can't remember Something in the Wind - but the only Durbin films I've seen in recent years are on that six-set.

I nearly referenced you in my HoF essay, you know

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

(in reply to rick_7)
Post #: 114
RE: My Favourite 100 Movies - #78 Singin' in the Rain - 26/10/2009 12:32:48 PM   
rick_7

I like Durbin a very lot. I wanted to get Three Smart Girls in the list, but no such luck.. Spring Parade is another favourite. I enjoy all of her films, though. I wrote to her about a month ago; I haven't heard anything back yet.

Something in the Wind is spotty and too rushed, but the script is disarmingly hilarious, with tons of unexpected, latent innuendo and typically fine music. John Dall as a put-upon romantic lead too, which I hadn't seen him do before.

Do you have the R1 set? There are various collections doing the rounds.

HoF7? I take it you've cast aside those preposterous thoughts on Brigadoon and embraced The Fourth Finest Film Ever Made About Scotland. (The Edge of the World, I Know Where I'm Going and Local Hero, naturally.)

*Wendy Hiller fanboy*

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 115
RE: My Favourite 100 Movies - #78 Singin' in the Rain - 26/10/2009 12:34:04 PM   
rick_7

PS: Can I ask what your nomination is, or is it all on the QT and very hush-hush?

*Wendy Hiller fanboy*

(in reply to rick_7)
Post #: 116
RE: My Favourite 100 Movies - #78 Singin' in the Rain - 26/10/2009 12:35:55 PM   
elab49

Oh bugger - I've just found it and Something in the Wind is on it . I think it is region 1 - it is a kind of foldover reddy pink thing with her face across the sides. Three Smart Girls is on it. And It Started With Eve.

Edit - I've PMd you.

< Message edited by elab49 -- 26/10/2009 12:36:56 PM >

quote:

(in reply to rick_7)
Post #: 117
RE: My Favourite 100 Movies - #78 Singin' in the Rain - 26/10/2009 12:37:48 PM   
Pigeon Army

quote:

You mentioned Brigadoon. Why would you gratuitously upset someone by mentioning Brigadoon

You really don't like anything, do you?

Singin' in the Rain - fantastic film, great choice, if obvious.

quote:

quote:

quote:

No.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 118
RE: My Favourite 100 Movies - #78 Singin' in the Rain - 26/10/2009 12:44:39 PM   
elab49

I like The Host. And also your Hof nominee - remember?

And Brigadoon is not a case of disliking. It is much more serious than that.

quote:

Post #: 119
RE: My Favourite 100 Movies - #78 Singin' in the Rain - 26/10/2009 12:47:38 PM   
Harry Lime

quote:

"Doo doo doo doo, doo doo doo doo doo doo doo doo doo..."
78. Singin' in the Rain (Stanley Donen and Gene Kelly, 1952)

Have you got access to my computer Mr.7?

My half finished essay/ opus for HoF begins in exactly the same way. Same picture, same "doo doo doo..." opening gambit! Don't know why I'd use it for a review of Mike Leigh's Naked though....

Oh. And great list by the way. Sort of goes without saying really.

"People think I have an interesting walk. Hell, I'm just trying to hold my gut in."

If I get there early will it be the right time
our heaven is just waiting so put your hand into mine.

(in reply to rick_7)
Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: My Favourite 100 Movies - #81 A Thousand Clowns Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI