Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: My Favourite 100 Movies - #89 Confessions of Boston Blackie

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: My Favourite 100 Movies - #89 Confessions of Boston Blackie Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: My Favourite 100 Movies - #89 Confessions of Boston... - 9/10/2009 3:26:47 PM   
MOTH

quote:

ORIGINAL: rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: rick_7
Remember when Jack Nicholson was good? I don't, I'm only 25.

I'm going to pull out The Pledge though.

Loving the list so far. With the speed of the updates you're making some of us who take years to get their list finished look bad.

I bet rick never watches The Pledge, otherwise it'll bollix up his (otherwise true) Jack-bashing thesis!

I've only gone and set up a blog! This week I've been mostly reviewing The Lego Movie and Wadjda. Click: The Fast Picture Show

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 31
RE: My Favourite 100 Movies - #89 Confessions of Boston... - 9/10/2009 3:29:04 PM   
rick_7

quote:

ORIGINAL: rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: rick_7
Remember when Jack Nicholson was good? I don't, I'm only 25.

I'm going to pull out The Pledge though.

Loving the list so far. With the speed of the updates you're making some of us who take years to get their list finished look bad.

Cheers. It's the deadline that does it - I had to get 10 done for yesterday's column. I've got four more in the bank, but they're a bit short. I'd like to do them all Blackie length, but I reckon with the weekly TV thing that's probably a bit too ambitious. Also it's hard to make jokes in these ones, because there's nothing funny about a great film.

elab's always waving The Pledge at me. I'm worried if I see it I'll have to get a new joke, though.

*Wendy Hiller fanboy*

Blog: DJANGO! DUMBO! DESPICABLE ME 2! Plus: other stuff.

"Nothin's really been right since Sam the Lion died."

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 32
RE: My Favourite 100 Movies - #89 Confessions of Boston... - 9/10/2009 3:31:01 PM   
rick_7

quote:

ORIGINAL: MOTH

I bet rick never watches The Pledge, otherwise it'll bollix up his (otherwise true) Jack-bashing thesis!

It's true, it's true, he said sobbing. I admitted it above, albeit three minutes too late.

*Wendy Hiller fanboy*

(in reply to MOTH)
Post #: 33
RE: My Favourite 100 Movies - #89 Confessions of Boston... - 9/10/2009 3:44:32 PM   
DCMaximo

Never heard of the Boston Blackie series, but it sounds great. Have you seen any of Boris Karloff's Mr Wong series, which seem to be in a similar vein? Karloff makes for the worlds least convincing Oriental man, but Doomed To Die is a rather good mystery and both of Wong's sidekicks provide good support.

The Spanish Inquisition of the 'Get Carlton Banks a TV Spin-off' Association

"Carlotta was the kind of town where they spell trouble T-R-U-B-I-L, and if you try to correct them, they kill you"

(in reply to rick_7)
Post #: 34
RE: My Favourite 100 Movies - #89 Confessions of Boston... - 9/10/2009 3:52:48 PM   
rick_7

I haven't, but I've just finished the (Fox) Chans and Motos, so it looks like a logical next step. Which studio did it - Monogram?

*Wendy Hiller fanboy*

(in reply to DCMaximo)
Post #: 35
RE: My Favourite 100 Movies - #89 Confessions of Boston... - 9/10/2009 3:59:27 PM   
DCMaximo

I believe it was Monogram. I've only seen a few of them which came in a cheapo boxset of old horror films (really stretching the definition of the word horror), but they're all pretty good fun.

"Carlotta was the kind of town where they spell trouble T-R-U-B-I-L, and if you try to correct them, they kill you"

(in reply to rick_7)
Post #: 36
RE: My Favourite 100 Movies - #89 Confessions of Boston... - 9/10/2009 4:07:29 PM   
rick_7

I think I saw some of The Mysterious Mr. Wong on movieflix (which had changed the wrong word in attempting to rip off netflix), but was disillusioned by the tiny screen and decided to catch it some other time. Maybe now's the time. Monogram carried on the Chan series after Fox dropped it. I've seen the first six, which are low-rent, slightly confused, but entertaining - largely thanks to Toler and Benson Fong.

< Message edited by rick_7 -- 9/10/2009 4:08:31 PM >

*Wendy Hiller fanboy*

(in reply to DCMaximo)
Post #: 37
RE: My Favourite 100 Movies - #89 Confessions of Boston... - 9/10/2009 5:48:48 PM   
Dantes Inferno

Pledge The See.

No, wait...

President of The Wire fan club. PM me to join.

(in reply to rick_7)
Post #: 38
RE: My Favourite 100 Movies - #89 Confessions of Boston... - 9/10/2009 8:24:53 PM   
Deviation

Isn't rick's thoery about Jack Nicholson already ruined though? The Passenger came out in 1975.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to Dantes Inferno)
Post #: 39
RE: My Favourite 100 Movies - #89 Confessions of Boston... - 9/10/2009 8:27:10 PM   
elab49

quote:

Remember when Jack Nicholson was good? I don't, I'm only 25. But from '68 to '74 he was pure dynamite.

quote:

The Passenger came out in 1975.

I see no conflict.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 40
RE: My Favourite 100 Movies - #89 Confessions of Boston... - 9/10/2009 8:47:44 PM   
Deviation

That's becuase you're blind.

quote:

There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 41
RE: My Favourite 100 Movies - #89 Confessions of Boston... - 9/10/2009 11:37:45 PM   
_Eraserhead_

His performance in One Flew is considered as bad around these boards?

Last 10/10 film seen:
Big Wednesday (1978, John Milius)

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 42
RE: My Favourite 100 Movies - #89 Confessions of Boston... - 10/10/2009 12:00:29 AM   
elab49

Not by me - I think Rick might be a tad stricter on it though.  

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to _Eraserhead_)
Post #: 43
RE: My Favourite 100 Movies - #89 Confessions of Boston... - 10/10/2009 12:17:23 AM   
Pigeon Army

His Girl Friday - Brilliant and hilarious. Russell and Grant are infectious fun. One of the twenty or so films that potters around just outside of my Top 100, trying to bolt for the gate when they see it open for a split second.

Pickup on South Street - Another one of those twenty or so films. Widmark's highly charismatic, Ritter's brilliant, Fuller's direction is charged and intense, and the scene in the apartment building near the end involving the kitchen lift is easily one of my favourite scenes ever.

Dead Man - Ooooooooh. Mmmm. Yeah.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rinc
She's supposed to be 13! I'd want her to be very attractive though

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat
quote:

ORIGINAL: Pigeon Army
Stop being mean to Deviation

No.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 44
RE: My Favourite 100 Movies - #89 Confessions of Boston... - 10/10/2009 12:24:36 AM   
Deviation

Fail........

quote:

quote:

(in reply to Pigeon Army)
Post #: 45
RE: My Favourite 100 Movies - #89 Confessions of Boston... - 10/10/2009 12:28:00 AM   
Pigeon Army

Yet another well-thought out, well-argued commentary on my opinions from Deviation. Thank you again, sir, for showing me the error of my ways.

quote:

quote:

quote:

No.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 46
RE: My Favourite 100 Movies - #89 Confessions of Boston... - 10/10/2009 12:31:32 AM   
Deviation

Well "Ooooooooh. Mmmm. Yeah." wasn't the most "well-thought out, well-argued commentary" of your opinions was it?

quote:

quote:

Post #: 47
RE: My Favourite 100 Movies - #89 Confessions of Boston... - 10/10/2009 12:32:36 AM   
Pigeon Army

It wasn't meant to be. It was meant to be a glib and pithy statement establishing my indifference towards Dead Man.

Fail, Devi. Fail.

quote:

quote:

quote:

No.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 48
RE: My Favourite 100 Movies - #89 Confessions of Boston... - 10/10/2009 12:40:28 AM   
Deviation

I accept my fail.

quote:

quote:

Post #: 49
RE: My Favourite 100 Movies - #89 Confessions of Boston... - 10/10/2009 12:41:52 AM   
Olaf

On that note, wasn't Dev's post meant to be a glib and pithy statement establishing his indifference/disagreement towards your views on those selected films? Think about it.

EDIT Or not.

< Message edited by Olaf -- 10/10/2009 12:42:24 AM >

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

Empire Top 100 Albums Poll 2013: CLICK HERE

Post #: 50
RE: My Favourite 100 Movies - #89 Confessions of Boston... - 10/10/2009 12:42:19 AM   
Pigeon Army

Given he accepts his fail, that's a no.   EDIT: Besides, it's physically impossible for Devi to be pithy. Studies have shown this.

quote:

quote:

quote:

No.

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 51
RE: My Favourite 100 Movies - #89 Confessions of Boston... - 10/10/2009 12:45:20 AM   
Deviation

Those studies were a fraud.

quote:

quote:

Post #: 52
RE: My Favourite 100 Movies - #89 Confessions of Boston... - 12/10/2009 9:24:20 AM   
rick_7

Please can you two stop flirting in my thread.

*Wendy Hiller fanboy*

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 53
RE: My Favourite 100 Movies - #89 Confessions of Boston... - 12/10/2009 10:43:57 AM   
Pigeon Army

Yeah, Devi and Olaf, just get a room and blow off all that homoerotic tension already! Jeez!

quote:

quote:

quote:

No.

(in reply to rick_7)
Post #: 54
RE: My Favourite 100 Movies - #88 Citizen Kane - 12/10/2009 12:35:33 PM   
rick_7

88. Citizen Kane (Orson Welles, 1941) - "A fellow will remember a lot of things you wouldn't think he'd remember. You take me. One day, back in 1896, I was crossing over to Jersey on the ferry, and as we pulled out, there was another ferry pulling in, and on it there was a girl waiting to get off. A white dress she had on. She was carrying a white parasol. I only saw her for one second. She didn't see me at all, but I'll bet a month hasn't gone by since that I haven't thought of that girl." Wow.

Citizen Kane has one of the great scripts, with every witticism levened by some timeless observation, every bleak note of resignation offset by a bitterly funny pay-off. Orson Welles plays the megalomaniac of the title, who inherits a fortune but must sacrifice his childhood, growing up to become an obsessive collector of titles and things. Based on media mogul William Randolph Hearst, Welles' Kane is a wonderfully-drawn character and a compelling centre for a film that uses countless technical innovations only to enhance (not to distract from) the story being told. That tale unwraps methodically, as four fascinating narrators paint a portrait of a man in a way more conventional methods could never have managed. The performances, from many of Welles' stock company, including Agnes Moorhead, Joseph Cotten, Everett Sloane, Ray Collins and Paul Stewart, are uniformly magnificent and the film is littered with extraordinary imagery - courtesy of legendary cinematographer Gregg Toland. The production values are excellent all round, with set designs by Van Nest Polglase, fine editing from future director Robert Wise and a superlative score by Bernard Herrmann.

Favourite bit: There are so many, but Sloane's tale of unrequited, ageless love (above) is particularly special.

See also: The jealousy and suspicion of his contemporaries, coupled with his own habit of taking his eye off the ball (skirt-chasing in Brazil, for example, as his second film - The Magnificent Ambersons - was butchered by the studio), meant Welles' output rarely matched his potential... but he still left a handful of great films. The fragments of Ambersons that remain are glorious, while Touch of Evil is a revolting and magnificent noir and Othello and The Trial are minor classics.

< Message edited by rick_7 -- 12/10/2009 12:36:24 PM >

*Wendy Hiller fanboy*

Post #: 55
RE: My Favourite 100 Movies - #87 La terra trema - 12/10/2009 12:38:11 PM   
rick_7

87. La terra trema (Luchino Visconti, 1948) - Luchino Visconti created Italian "neorealism" (please don't fall asleep, this is important), shooting semi-documentaries with unprofessional actors in real locations. His first movie was a bizarre take on 'The Postman Always Rings Twice', later filmed as a standard noir in Hollywood, called Ossessione. His follow-up was La terra trema - or The Earth Trembles, to give it the marvellous translated title. This breathtaking, emotionally draining movie is set in a Sicilian fishing village, where the buyers - and the fates - are set against the locals. Reminiscent in some ways of the trendsetting Robert Flaherty's 1934 movie Man of Aran - which also saw its fishermen adrift in a storm - this one delves into the family lives of its protagonists, giving it even greater depth. An ultra-realistic two-and-a-half hour movie about impoverished fishermen might not sound overly appealing, but this heartfelt portrait of working class life grips from the first, and never lets up.

Favourite bit: After the storm: having been buffeted by raging tides, the wrecked remains of a new fishing boat return, forlorn-looking, to the quay.

See also: Neorealism produced slews of classics, with Rossellini's wartime classic, Rome, Open City, among the most moving.

*Wendy Hiller fanboy*

(in reply to rick_7)
Post #: 56
RE: My Favourite 100 Movies - #86 Ghost World - 12/10/2009 3:09:46 PM   
rick_7

86. Ghost World (Terry Zwigoff, 2001) - If you are, or have ever been, 18, you'll be able to relate to the wonderful Ghost World. Thora Birch plays Enid Coleslaw, an unhappy, acid-tongued college leaver caught between a blissful childhood and an uncertain future. Scarlett Johansson is her mature best friend, to whom both love and life come pretty easy. This exceptional adaptation of Daniel Clowes' comic classic is mordant, poignant and uproariously funny, with a superb song score that incorporates both Skip James and Mohammed Rafi. It seems inconceivable, not to mention grossly unjust, that Johansson is now one of the globe's top drawers, while the vastly superior (though less conventionally attractive) Birch is consigned to B-movies. Pah.

Favourite bit: Enid meets obsessive record collector Seymour (Steve Buscemi). "You actually like that guy?" asks Rebecca. "I don't know," she replies. "I kind of like him. He's the exact opposite of everything I really hate."

See also: Juno, which did the same thing slightly less well and Gas Food Lodging - where Fairuza Balk's character is something like a younger, shyer Enid. Read the comic too, it's fantastic.

< Message edited by rick_7 -- 12/10/2009 3:10:28 PM >

*Wendy Hiller fanboy*

(in reply to rick_7)
Post #: 57
RE: My Favourite 100 Movies - #86 Ghost World - 12/10/2009 3:51:46 PM   
DCMaximo

I adore Ghost World. It's the only film I've watched on TV, loved, then gone and bought on DVD the next day to watch it again that night. Easily the best film of either Birch or Johansson's career. Have to say Birch didn't help herself by taking a few years off to study, by which time she'd lost her momentum and got cast in with other early 00's teen failures like Rachel Leigh Cook or the cast of American Pie. And The Hole was terrible.

(in reply to rick_7)
Post #: 58
RE: My Favourite 100 Movies - #86 Ghost World - 12/10/2009 3:54:14 PM   
Gram123

1) I think this was the first time I saw Johansson in a film, and I thought she looked a bit odd and gorky at the time. Certainly not "conventionally attractive", anyway. She's grown up now, of course!

2) I liked Ghost World. I didn't find the girls' dialogue irritating or pretentious. I have only seen trailers for Juno, and Ellen Page's performance and dialogue therein irked me so entirely that I think I must avoid seeing it for ever, for fear that I will spark out of control and commit an act of violence upon my tv.

< Message edited by Gram123 -- 12/10/2009 3:55:14 PM >

Gram123's Top Songs Project

(in reply to rick_7)
Post #: 59
RE: My Favourite 100 Movies - #86 Ghost World - 12/10/2009 4:05:37 PM   
chris_scott01

Great list Rick! Delighted to see La terra trema turn up, it really hit home last time I watched it.  I often find myself asking "how does Visconti give his melodrama such emotional weight?".  Is it his attention to detail? the way he directs the actors?  His keen sense of music or visual flourishes? Or simply a good premise to start with?  Maybe it's all the above.  La terra trema seems to conjure up poetry out of nowhere as there is very little stylisation, it just comes out naturally, rather than more obvious directorial touches.

rapidite! rapidite!

(in reply to rick_7)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: My Favourite 100 Movies - #89 Confessions of Boston Blackie Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI