Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Why the hell am i crying??

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Why the hell am i crying?? Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Why the hell am i crying?? - 4/8/2010 11:29:59 AM   
AllenDunn

Albert Einstein once implied "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough”. Well I just saw the film UP and try as I might, I simply can't explain what makes it work…
I can explain the movie simply…Old Man flies his house away using balloons to South America, meets boy, finds dog – rescues bird…
There that was simple, the understanding - now that's the hard part…

Is it the beauty in the colours of the landscapes and sky, the amazing rendition of the 3D effects, no lazy and visceral sub text used to bad effect (matrix revolutions and its foreboding long speeches attempting implied threat), or is it the fact that I cried within 5 minutes of this films opening credits… (And I did not cry at the beginning of JJ Abrams Star Trek like my wife did – I am that tough!)...

That's what is magical about this film… it grabs you by the heart and never once says 'go and have a hotdog'.
A winning formula of a good movie is a good story and an excellent movie needs an excellent story, but in UP we get a classic movie with a good story told brilliantly

Reminiscent of the classics, Bambi, ET and 'Goodbye, Mr Chips' (Ok, I added a classic of my own), they all had that something extra...and I challenge anyone of you to explain to me why Bambi or a rescue movie about a ball of green snot with legs are two of the greatest movies ever made…go on try it…” well…err...its just one of them classics, isn't it”? … But why? 
I have tried with UP and I get no where, then I watch it again and there it is on the screen for anyone from 3 and up to see! Pure magic…

Pixar once again started with a good idea and have finished with an exciting, funny and endearing film that my 9 year old son loved and did not even want to see initially…and yet when we left the cinema we just kept smiling …and you have no idea of how that stupid movie with a flying house, crazy chase scenes and some flying dogs (yes I said flying dogs) just melted your heart.

On some level maybe it's about loss and the need to redeem your life in the event of imminent doom or is it about some kid losing his GPS…well it's just possible that Carl Frederickson, the old man and lead character, has changed how we look at the world.

When I see old couples in the street now, I do not see the people they are but the people they were when they were full of life and vigour…its just their wrapping has shrunk.
If you want to know more about the story read another review, if you want to know why you should go see this film then ask me…stop me in the street and ask.

I will stop, think, twiddle my fingers and finally click my fingers in sudden realisation…then stop and think some more….eventually all you will get is … "well… err …It's just one of them classics, isn't it”? 

Yes…yes it is…with balloons on…

< Message edited by AllenDunn -- 4/8/2010 11:36:19 AM >

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 91
Why the hell am i crying?? - 4/8/2010 11:36:35 AM   
AllenDunn

Albert Einstein once implied “If you can’t explain it simply, you don’t understand it well enough”. Well I just saw the film UP and try as I might, I simply can’t explain what makes it work…

I can explain the movie simply…Old Man flies his house away using balloons to South America, meets boy, finds dog – rescues bird…

There that was simple, the understanding - now that’s the hard part…

Is it the beauty in the colours of the landscapes and sky, the amazing rendition of the 3D effects, no lazy and visceral sub text used to bad effect (matrix revolutions and its foreboding long speeches attempting implied threat), or is it the fact that I cried within 5 minutes of this films opening credits… (And I did not cry at the beginning of JJ Abrams Star Trek like my wife did – I am that tough!)...

That’s what is magical about this film… it grabs you by the heart and never once says ‘go and have a hotdog’.

A winning formula of a good movie is a good story and an excellent movie needs an excellent story, but in UP we get a classic movie with a good story told brilliantly

Reminiscent of the classics, Bambi, ET and ‘Goodbye, Mr Chips’ (Ok, I added a classic of my own), they all had that something extra...and I challenge anyone of you to explain to me why Bambi or a rescue movie about a ball of green snot with legs are two of the greatest movies ever made…go on try it…” well…err...its just one of them classics, isn’t it”? … But why?

I have tried with UP and I get no where, then I watch it again and there it is on the screen for anyone from 3 and up to see! Pure magic…

Pixar once again started with a good idea and have finished with an exciting, funny and endearing film that my 9 year old son loved and did not even want to see initially…and yet when we left the cinema we just kept smiling R

Post #: 92
Sublime - 5/1/2011 12:11:16 PM   
Boromirs Redemption

Whilst not quite achieving the 'masterpiece' tag so deservingly given to Toy Story 3, this is nonetheless a stunning piece of work by Pixar. I blubbed my way through the perfection that is the first ten minutes. The removal of vocals and allowing the music to deliver the emotional sledgehammer was a stroke of pure genius. You fall in love with Carl right there and then; you feel sorry for the guy. Perhaps this is the Disney moral here- never judge somebody before you know why they are cranky or morose. His character is ace, moaning and complaining his way across the world with Russell, a surefire Pixar hero. The story is typically fantastical, with unrealistic moments that you just accept (a Disney standard) coupled with real tenderness and poignancy. As well as providing tons of laughter. (Squirrel!!). Awesome.

Post #: 93
Sublime - 5/1/2011 12:11:19 PM   
Boromirs Redemption

Whilst not quite achieving the 'masterpiece' tag so deservingly given to Toy Story 3, this is nonetheless a stunning piece of work by Pixar. I blubbed my way through the perfection that is the first ten minutes. The removal of vocals and allowing the music to deliver the emotional sledgehammer was a stroke of pure genius. You fall in love with Carl right there and then; you feel sorry for the guy. Perhaps this is the Disney moral here- never judge somebody before you know why they are cranky or morose. His character is ace, moaning and complaining his way across the world with Russell, a surefire Pixar hero. The story is typically fantastical, with unrealistic moments that you just accept (a Disney standard) coupled with real tenderness and poignancy. As well as providing tons of laughter. (Squirrel!!). Awesome.

Post #: 94
The Return Of Pixar - 16/3/2011 10:48:36 AM   
blaud

The first couple of minutes are the funniest thing ever to be put into an animated film. However, contrary to my expectations, the piece developed into an involving and moving character study that is seldom dull but often times somewhat annoying. However, this can be forgiven as there are moments of pure comedy gold in here, and the story is by far Pixar's best for a long while. Welcome back

Post #: 95
Pixar Gold - 2/8/2011 9:21:09 AM   
trainedasninja

My favourite and probably the most finest Pixar family film that is certainly not kids only. It is funny, exciting and warmly touching storytelling told with such heart and depth. Hugely enjoyable whilst remaining ambitious and welcomingly refreshing.

Post #: 96
Up Review - 14/12/2011 12:01:33 AM   
the film man

Another masterful work of art from Pixar, Up is an exciting, hilarious, and heartfelt adventure impeccably crafted and told with wit and depth.

Post #: 97
Half good half bad. - 2/1/2013 12:22:24 AM   
dfooster

The film was great until the house lands at paradise falls then the eyes start to roll. This movie didnt need talking dogs or funny creatures and it didnt need a villain.

The whole movie should have been about the first act and the pay off should have been reaching paradise falls. There was enough material there to stretch it out, but they rushed the most interesting bits. If they had given the construction workers bigger parts, the care home an extended run and battling more of the elements when in the air it would have been great.

Instead the film loses its way when you realise paradise falls isn't that spectacular much like the characters that inhabit it, and the interest in the rest of the movie soon dissipates once you realise you've already watched the best bits in the first twenty minutes.

Missed opportunity and a slight misstep from the usually impeccable storytelling Pixar team.

Post #: 98
More Pixar magic - 7/2/2013 2:24:01 AM   
Mr Gittes

I would actually give it four and a half stars but for that montage alone, this emotional gem earns the full five. One of the most heartwarming experiences I've ever had at the cinema.

Post #: 99
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Why the hell am i crying?? Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI