Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: One star (only coz zero is not an option)

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: One star (only coz zero is not an option) Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: One star (only coz zero is not an option) - 22/10/2009 10:04:27 AM   
BishopQuaker

Went to see UP in 3D last night.

Two words: Utterley Brilliant.

I can't think of many films that have sent me on an emotional rollercoaster like UP did.
Like most of the cinema I did shed a tear within 10 minutes... and again some other way through.
But then I was also laughing loads - especially with the dogs and their talking collars.

For me that was Pixar just proving that when it comes to animation, they are the gold standard.
I don't necessarily hand out 5 stars all the time, but UP certainly gets it.

(in reply to adambatman82)
Post #: 61
RE: One star (only coz zero is not an option) - 22/10/2009 10:37:55 AM   
Goodfella

quote:

not better than In The Loop. No chance.

I haven't seen Up yet but I can already tell you that Olaf is right.

"It is the Shawshank Redemption! Just with more tunneling through shit and less fucking redemption."

If you can quote the rules, then you can obey them.

(in reply to BishopQuaker)
Post #: 62
RE: Nunchukas upside the head - 22/10/2009 12:54:43 PM   
SpiderBat

I ain't on trial here, m8! But if u read a few posts back I listed the best moves of this year: Watchmen, Let The Right One In, In The Loop, Moon, and District 9. Each one's genius and different, so hard to pick the best one. Hmm, apart from one each movie has had unanimous praise, so I'm going for the underrated one: Watchmen.
Worst movies of the year (coz they have pretensions of being good, so something like GI Joe doesn't count): The Hurt Locker, Public Enemies, and yeah... Up.  Enough to make u wanna chuck a ciggie lighter at the big screen.

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 63
RE: One star (only coz zero is not an option) - 22/10/2009 4:50:05 PM   
hatebox

quote:

ORIGINAL: BishopQuaker

Went to see UP in 3D last night.

Two words: Uperley Brilliant.

Fixed.

(in reply to BishopQuaker)
Post #: 64
RE: One star (only coz zero is not an option) - 24/10/2009 9:18:51 PM   
Castor Troy

I'm not one of Pixar's greatest fans - I think most of their output is hugely overrated with the exception of Toy Story and Monsters Inc. Up continues this trend. It didn't even feel like a Pixar film. What the fuck were those dogs all about? Them, the main dog and the bird felt like rejects from another animated film made by a lesser studio. The kid was cool - I liked the spirit of adventure and the old guys relatonship with his wife, but they could have done so much more with when they got to South America.

3/5

The individual human mind. In a child's ability to master the multiplication table, there is more holiness than all your shouted hosannas and holy holies. An idea is more important than a monument and the advancement of Man's knowledge more miraculous than all the sticks turned to snakes and the parting of the waters.

(in reply to hatebox)
Post #: 65
RE: Up - 26/10/2009 1:31:09 PM   
Death_Row_Marv

First 10 mins as more emotion than most films mange in 2 hours.  Had me crying. Problem is it peaks too early and never quite reaches the hights it did at the start.  Genius tho, utter brilliant.  Even if the 3D did nothing to add to it.

Rule one. I am always right.
Rule two. If it looks like I am wrong refer to rule one.
Check out http://marksfilmview.wordpress.com/

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 66
RE: Up - 26/10/2009 9:52:40 PM   
SleepyDeathFred

I don't think I've seen a film that made me as angry as Up did in years. I absolutely loved the first half, thought the whole wife montage was affecting and mature. I was prepared to tolerate the bird, but the talking dogs destroyed the film for me. They weren't even a little bit funny. The high-pitched dog's voice was almost embarrassingly immature and unfunny after the powerful first half. I honestly felt completely let down - I can't imagine how my feelings about this film aren't more common, but maybe it's just dog people who liked it.

(in reply to Death_Row_Marv)
Post #: 67
RE: Up - 27/10/2009 9:38:44 AM   
Dante360

Hi all
UP is an interesting one
For me it shows the direction that Pixar are trying to move to and thats an adult audience.
It deals with many adult issues and also shows them in such a way that only an adult viewer would click on to. The fact that in the first 15 minutes it deals with miscarriage and death shows what Pixar are trying to do. But the dominant message in this film is Dont leave things to late. I found it to be an uncomfortable watch at some points for example the scene where Mr Fredricksen shouted at Russel about not wanting him , Kevin and doug there made me feel uncomfortable yet interested even more so because it broke the conventions of how Pixar movies work.
Overall i thought it was easily better then Wall*E and perhaps one of the best animated films of the year. Its a shame there wasnt more WOW moments with the 3d technolagy.

(in reply to SleepyDeathFred)
Post #: 68
RE: Up - 28/10/2009 12:22:57 AM   
SpiderBat

Sorry fella, but your post makes you sound like you always have a box of king sized tissues lying around - for both uses. 

(in reply to Dante360)
Post #: 69
RE: Up - 28/10/2009 12:27:51 AM   
SpiderBat

Dude, chill bruv. I hated it too. Look at the 3 star reader average (from prolly quite a lot of votes) - hardly a ringing endorsement is it?

(in reply to SleepyDeathFred)
Post #: 70
RE: Up - 28/10/2009 10:02:10 AM   
DJ Rob C: Mark II!

Saw it again last week and enjoyed it every bit as much as the first time.... the start is wonderful, yes, but I found the whole thing to be equally enjoyable... in fact the one time I almost teared up is towards the end when Carl shouts at Dug.... now I'm not a dog person, in fact I'm not a fan at all, but I loved Dug so much, plus the other dogs were quite funny too 

It's never as good as WALL-E was with it's awesome main character and intriguing ambition in the first half... but Pixar have produced another cracker, and everyone I went with came out saying how good it was (funnily enough how surprised they were, they didn't think they'd enjoy it.... it's PIXAR, how can you not expect wonder? )

5/5

When Gotham is ashes, you have my permission to die

Third Highest Post Count on the Forum, sad but proud!

(in reply to SpiderBat)
Post #: 71
RE: Up - 28/10/2009 7:17:45 PM   
steffols

I think what Pete Doctor and Bob Petersen have managed to capture beautifully in this film, and something I havent seen commented on so far, is the wonderful relationship that people of the older generation and people of the younger generation seem to share. Not just in this film, but in everyday life, its a beautiful thing, something I've witnessed in my own life. My Granpa used to be a curmudgeonly old man till my brother was born, which turned him into a warm, loving man who could even raise a smile once in a while. Pixar managed to have captured this kind of relationship brilliantly, and that relationship alone had me bawling. Yes, its obvious when Russell says to Carl that his dad is never around, that Carl is going to become the father that Russell doesnt know and that Russell is going to become the child the Fredericksons were never allowed to enjoy, but it doesnt annoy me, it makes me happy because these characters are so wonderful. My cynicism is pushed away and my want for a happy ending for these two brilliant guys becomes more.

The start had me in a ball in the floor, they managed to capture true love in its essence, finding someone you will never get bored of, to share your life with and constantly be happy with, to grow old with. They managed to capture the loneliness of the widower perfectly, something which many of us wont understand, but we can empathise with now. The revelation of the balloons was magnificent, one of the most awe-inspiring things I've ever seen.

I do think that the film dips a little in the middle and towards the end just before the house/blimp chase, but it never feels like it drags because you love being in these characters company so much that it doesnt really matter, just watching Carls love for his dead wife manifest into dragging their married home across Venezuela by a water hose on his back is enough. I could watch that all day.
'
The dogs voices are a genius idea and made even more genius by the starchy way in which they speak 'I have just met you, and I love you' must be one of the best lines ever written.

Great film, but I hope it doesnt become like Rataouille and Wall-E, which I am afraid to say, I find a tad hard to watch again.

It's midnight in Manhattan, this is no time to get cute, it's a mad dog's promenade,
So walk tall, or baby don't walk at all.

(in reply to DJ Rob C: Mark II!)
Post #: 72
RE: Up - 29/10/2009 9:17:21 AM   
zcarstheme

Thought it was wonderful. Smart, sweet, unconventional with beautifully drawn characters and a heart the size of Mars. The dogs are the best comedy side-characters I've seen in years. Home run.

http://www.jinx.co.uk - Fiercely independent horror filmmaking

(in reply to steffols)
Post #: 73
RE: Nunchukas upside the head - 29/10/2009 9:34:29 AM   
DJ Rob C: Mark II!

quote:

ORIGINAL: SpiderBat

OK have it your way. EricL, DJ Rob, Qwerty I'll see u at th Park. Bring your weapons of choice. David Somerset, u just bring your wife.

Fine then, despite agreeing with you on half the films you listed

When Gotham is ashes, you have my permission to die

Third Highest Post Count on the Forum, sad but proud!
Post #: 74
RE: the feel good film slumdog millionaire was advertis... - 1/11/2009 5:04:35 AM   
The Shat

4/5

The opening montage will be the best thing all year. The rest of the film could never live up to it and turned into a generic dreamworks film with some magic Pixar moments here and there.

It's a mystery. I don't like mysteries! They give me a bellyache, and I've got a beauty right now.

Mr Chekov, I think you've earned your pay for the week.

Would you mind being careful where you throw your rocks, Mr Spock?

Go climb a tree.
Post #: 75
RE: the feel good film slumdog millionaire was advertis... - 1/11/2009 10:38:15 PM   
JIm R

Heart breakingly beautiful, simply a delight, dare I say it, their best.

It's a waste on children frankly, it's Pixar do Capra, it's every frame reach into your heart and pull it out, dust it down and put it back with a aching glow that will never leave you.

Funny, deeply moving, poignent, affecting, just mesmoring, DVD essential purchase with great story, loving and giving, loved every minute and want to see it immediately.

5 stars.

(in reply to The Shat)
Post #: 76
RE: One star (only coz zero is not an option) - 10/11/2009 11:02:14 AM   
filmburner30

Great stuff i loved this movie
Another winner from Pixar and one of the best films of the year 9.5/10

"Where are you calling from Milo?"
"The bottom of the pool?"

"Im The Anti Christ.You got me in a Vendetta kind of mood"

"Come back Alan , You Wanker!"

"Your a Doctor,Deal with it"

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 77
RE: One star (only coz zero is not an option) - 12/11/2009 11:40:21 PM   
BobM70

Superb film. I agree with empire. Animationwise it's absolute brilliance. 3 D is the best ever seen. Story is fine. But not UP to Pixar-PAR.The scenes with Carl and his wife are so beautiful, I could watch them every day. But here lies the only problem. It is not a kids movie. It is for adults. It should have been for adults. Docter tried to make it a kids friendly film by adding the talking dogs (BAD idea, the mouse pulling a Chef's hair in Ratatouille was so-so, but this is BAD) and a big red austrich is a let down. He could have made the best animated film ever, as long he had stuck with Carl, Elly and his dream. Again; the scenes with Elly are of such beauty, I almost cried. None the less: a great film.

4/5

Bob

It's not how long it takes, it's who's taking you...

(in reply to filmburner30)
Post #: 78
RE: the feel good film slumdog millionaire was advertis... - 13/11/2009 7:39:43 AM   
Timmy_Brisby_05

I think there is a great chance for an Oscar here.

Bolt: [gets up and looks up at the cats] Hello, hairballs.

(in reply to JIm R)
Post #: 79
RE: the feel good film slumdog millionaire was advertis... - 14/11/2009 8:33:31 PM   
kumar

Unbelievably cute, incredibly heartbreaking, yet equally heart warming. Had me in tears at numerous points, honest running down my face. Im glad I watched it alone, I wouldnt have been able to bear the mocks of my friends. Well done pixar.

"Darth Silas - I love Craig as Bond too. Genius. "- Jackmansgirl 15/7/2008

Last films watched:

The Road - 4/5
Chronicle - 4/5
Twilight Breaking Dawn p1 - 1/5
Warrior - 5/5
Super 8 - 5/5
Paranormal Activity 3 - 3/5
MI 4 - 2/5

(in reply to JIm R)
Post #: 80
RE: the feel good film slumdog millionaire was advertis... - 15/11/2009 8:20:00 PM   
skeletonjack

The first 5 mins or so were the most heart breaking I've seen in many a year, but once the film got into full swing it was good fun, though not the masterpiece some would have you believe.
I'd give it 3.5 out of 5 as it still doesn't come close to the Toy Story movies or The Incredibles (which I consider to be Pixars finest).
As a side note when we saw it today the two youngish kids sat near us were asking to go after about an hour.

(in reply to kumar)
Post #: 81
RE: the feel good film slumdog millionaire was advertis... - 15/11/2009 10:47:24 PM   
hiptobesquare_x

I wasn't completely sold on the 3D and thought they could have put it to better use, but that aside I thought the film was brilliant. And yes, those first 5 minutes had me in tears, as did the bit where he reads the message in the adventure book, as did the very end where he gives Russell the badge... Damn that was a sad film. My problem though was that it never lived up to the first 5minutes. As for the talking dogs, I did find them funny at the time, but that was mainly down to the fact that my own dog was wearing a 'cone of shame' when I went to see it; in terms of them being relevant to the story though, they were clearly there to provide a bit of light relief for the main intended audience, which was children. It was a film which came so close to being perfect, but it did fail to live up to the standard set in the opening. (On it's own the opening would be the greatest short ever made IMO.) As such, I enjoyed it, but thought Wall-E topped it.

"I hate coconut. Not the flavour, but the consistency."

(in reply to skeletonjack)
Post #: 82
RE: Excellent, well done Pixar - 25/1/2010 1:15:32 PM   
grucl

Watched the DVD last night and loved every second of it.

I felt like young Carl watching the screen with a wide open mouth. Brilliant!
Post #: 83
RE: the feel good film slumdog millionaire was advertis... - 30/1/2010 9:17:18 AM   
m_er

The opening twenty minutes were quite touching. The rest of the film was likable, with charming characters.Slighly over-rated imo. This adventure would have been more emotionally and breathtaking 3D. Fantastic Mr.Fox is still best fave animated feature this year.

7/10

WHOA. I don't believe what I'm hearing. Check out the BALLS on this kid. Hey Spider, this is for you.

My movies
http://www.imdb.com/mymovies/list?l=4044070

(in reply to JIm R)
Post #: 84
RE: Stunning - 21/2/2010 11:42:57 PM   
Invader_Ace

Totally brilliant.  welled up about 3 times throughout the film.  Loved it.

I was hiding under your porch because I love you!
Post #: 85
RE: Up - 1/3/2010 5:29:10 PM   
genejoke

I enjoyed it, but as a kids film it isn't great. well not young kids anyway, say under 8, my kids were bored by it and only showed brief interest in the talking dogs.

Post #: 86
- 1/3/2010 8:49:45 PM   
Jordan Rowe

Great movie. Lovely story told at the very beginning that really made you care about the character and the whole story.

Post #: 87
- 5/3/2010 1:12:48 PM   
chris wootton

I loved the first 5-10 minutes but I really don't see what the fuss is about. The animation was absolutely fantastic but I lost any sight of who the characters were, and that bird thing was just a bit crap. I'd say it was on a par with Ratatouille in that some of the situations were just a little too surreal to rank up there with the Incredibles and Finding Nemo. Sorry

Post #: 88
Absolute Heaven - 13/4/2010 1:31:06 AM   
monkeyhumour

I'll never forget this film. And I heart pixar. I really do

Post #: 89
Just enchanting. - 31/5/2010 1:19:04 PM   
Kurtis93

Magnicificant.

Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: One star (only coz zero is not an option) Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI