Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Up

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Up Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Up - 15/10/2009 1:53:25 AM   
shinysavage

Dare I say uplifting?

In all seriousness though, this was a wonderful film, in every respect. Obviously, the animation was superb - it's Pixar, what do you expect? - but there truly wasn't a single bad part of this film.

True, it isn't quite as ambitious as the opening might suggest (although it's still pretty daring, in scenes if not in overall scope), and the character arc is a little formulaic, but Pixar have never told revolutionary stories. They've used unusual and inventive worlds and characters, but the stories have always been classic, simple ones. Follow your dreams, learn to love your family, accept who you are, etc etc. They just tell these stories using toys, or robots without vocal cords, or rats. Here, they're telling a story about grief and moving on - through the medium of a man with a floating house attached to his back. And while, as I said, it ultimately isn't as ambitious as it first appears, it did have me laughing out loud, and moved nearly to tears.

What more can I say? I'm rapidly running out of ways to say that Pixar are superb. Just go and see it. You won't regret it.

Full review at my (brand new and shiny) blog, here: http://shinysavage.blogspot.com/2009/10/film-review-up.html

My blog: http://savagewords.blogspot.com/

People are morons. I don't have any other explanation, I really don't. (Joss Whedon)

A home without books is like a body without a soul (Cicero)

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 31
RE: Oversold - 15/10/2009 2:20:45 AM   
Qwerty Norris

quote:

ORIGINAL: adambatman82

quote:

ORIGINAL: Seamus. Pat.

Not too sure about all these good comments. Animations should be fun. To start the movie in such a sad way - wife and kids (8 & 9) crying, extracts the humour from the movie immediately. Some very funny parts but constantly returning to nostalgic memories by Mr Muntz makes the story far too emotional and makes it difficult to laugh all the way through the movie. Very likable characters but I think the story could have been adapted in such a way were there would less tears, eg the older Mr and Mrs Muntz taking the trip they have promised themselves for many years and the young kid hitches a ride with them.
Wouldn't rave about this one - Sorry

I respect the fact that you disliked the film, but you have suggested some very strange amendments. Do you not realise that the entire point of the film was the fact that Carl and Ellie not travelling was the point of the whole film? And whats wrong with a film being an emotional experience? Walt Disney always said that there should be a tear for every laugh, and this is visible in all of the earliest (and best) Disney flicks. This is no different to Bambi, or even E.T. Its good for children to understand mortality. I dont understand why you feel that you need to "laugh all the way through the movie". Is this protocol for every film you see?

Spot on mate. What is brilliant about Pixar is that all their films whether feature length or short (except Cars, I have an issue with that one) evoke the very best in early Disney, which is as you & Walt said, that there should always be a tear for every laugh. Something that is completely lost on the other American animation studios who continuously plonder out soulless dirges like Kung Fu Panda, Monsters V Aliens etc.

But getting back to the main topic of discussion, I saw Up tonight and I loved it as well. I know it's all about writers opinions and such like but how this has the same rating as Terminator Salvation and one star less than Benjamin Button truly bemuses me. I have to echo everyone else here in saying that the opening 10 minutes is by far the best sequence I've seen in a film this year, and contains one of the greatest, quietly affecting montages that I've ever seen.

In a world where so many studios idea of a solid kids film simply involves signing up Hollywood A listers to perform the roles of talking animals/aliens etc coupled with throwaway pop culture gags. Thank goodness Pixar soldier on with the classic principles of what has made and what makes truly great animation. Timeless storytelling with unmatched warmth and depth to its characters.

An absolute joy....

5/5

< Message edited by Qwerty Norris -- 15/10/2009 2:34:42 AM >

Qwerty's Top 10 of 2013 (so far)

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
9. The Place Beyond the Pines
10. Wreck-it Ralph

(in reply to adambatman82)
Post #: 32
RE: Oversold - 15/10/2009 6:41:03 PM   
Twisted Kitty

quote:

I have to echo everyone else here in saying that the opening 10 minutes is by far the best sequence I've seen in a film this year, and contains one of the greatest, quietly affecting montages that I've ever seen.

I totally agree.  I loved this film and found it very moving and yes I'm not ashamed to say that I cried but it was ok, nobody saw me as I was in the dark wearing my 3D glasses!  

"I have a terrible headache, and a sudden craving for chicken wings"

(in reply to Qwerty Norris)
Post #: 33
RE: Oversold - 15/10/2009 7:32:36 PM   
kingalan

Adored it. Full of the innovation, poignancy, adventure and sheer joy we've almost come to take for granted from Pixar. It's been said to death but the opening montage was utterly sublime. However, although it was the most memorable highlight, dwelling on it discredits the absolute splendidness of the following 90 minutes.

Can't wait for Toy Story 3.

(in reply to Twisted Kitty)
Post #: 34
RE: Up - 15/10/2009 8:21:26 PM   
Timmy_Brisby_05

Overrated!

So long boys!

Bolt: [gets up and looks up at the cats] Hello, hairballs.

Post #: 35
RE: Up - 16/10/2009 9:39:18 AM   
fakecrusader

Saw it last night and afterwards my son asked what rating Empire gave it. I told him 4 and he asked "why not 5?". I then realised I did not know. Having read the review again, the only reason I can find for marking it down is that it's not "the film of the decade". That's a bit harsh!
I'll admit to being a Pixar fanboy but that doesn't grant classic status to each one of their films; however in this case I think you got it wrong and your own review is the evidence to back it up (or did the "star printer" run out of red toner?).
Maybe you could take that generous one star you gave to "the invention of lying" and transfer it? 

Post #: 36
RE: Up - 16/10/2009 9:55:15 AM   
adambatman82

quote:

ORIGINAL: fakecrusader

Saw it last night and afterwards my son asked what rating Empire gave it. I told him 4 and he asked "why not 5?". I then realised I did not know. Having read the review again, the only reason I can find for marking it down is that it's not "the film of the decade". That's a bit harsh!
I'll admit to being a Pixar fanboy but that doesn't grant classic status to each one of their films; however in this case I think you got it wrong and your own review is the evidence to back it up (or did the "star printer" run out of red toner?).
Maybe you could take that generous one star you gave to "the invention of lying" and transfer it?

Im pleased that your son enjoyed it, it backs up the idea that kids did get it!

(in reply to fakecrusader)
Post #: 37
RE: Up - 16/10/2009 11:00:25 PM   
matty_b

My ten year old loved this. I'm sure the subtext about grief and moving on probably went over his head, but it didn't matter.

Oh, and is it just me, or was Doug's joke the funniest moment of the year?

The customary five star masterpiece from Pixar.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

Post #: 38
RE: Up - 17/10/2009 6:15:31 PM   
frankie

Can't add anything new really apart from to say I loved it too. I've seen it in 2D and 3D now and can honestly say the 3D doesn't make it better in any way. If anything, it hinders the film. I find those glasses a bit clumsy over my normal glasses and keep adjusting them just takes me out of the movie. Sad that 2D versions were only granted 2 showings a week at my local fleapit.

But back to Up. It's sublime. Maybe my favourite film of the year (so far).

A golden future awaits you. Just kidding.

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 39
RE: Up - 17/10/2009 11:49:30 PM   
Rgirvan44

This film is better than you or me.

Just see it!

And yes Dougs joke is the best of the year.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to frankie)
Post #: 40
RE: Up - 18/10/2009 12:32:33 AM   
hatebox

Very good indeed. Unlike Wall-E it maintianed its heart in the second half amongst all the action. 

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 41
RE: Fucked Up - 18/10/2009 10:57:39 AM   
TheGodfather

Wow, exaggerating quite a bit, aren`t you? 

Jules: "What" ain't no country I ever heard of! They speak English in What?
Brett: What?
Jules: ENGLISH, MOTHERFUCKER! DO-YOU-SPEAK-IT?
Post #: 42
RE: Fucked Up - 18/10/2009 11:12:55 AM   
Rgirvan44

The guy calls Cars genuis. Thats all I need to know.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to TheGodfather)
Post #: 43
RE: Fucked Up - 18/10/2009 11:14:45 AM   
TheGodfather

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

The guy calls Cars genuis. Thats all I need to know.

true point

Jules: "What" ain't no country I ever heard of! They speak English in What?
Brett: What?
Jules: ENGLISH, MOTHERFUCKER! DO-YOU-SPEAK-IT?

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 44
RE: Fucked Up - 18/10/2009 12:09:02 PM   
Pigeon Army

quote:

ORIGINAL: SpiderBat

Absolute shite compared to Finding Nemo, The Incredibles, Cars - Pixar's genius hat-trick.
Pixar's downward trend started with Rat, continued with Wall-E, and now this, the worst of the lot. These 3 films are sentimental middle of the road pap disguised as quality.
Can this type of movie now find a formula other than "quiet" character matched with irritating balls clenchingly "loud" character?

Cars = genius? The fuck? Of all the films you described, that is the one most guilty of being "sentimental middle of the road pap disguised as quality".

And how someone can hate Russell is beyond me.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rinc
She's supposed to be 13! I'd want her to be very attractive though

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat
quote:

ORIGINAL: Pigeon Army
Stop being mean to Deviation

No.
Post #: 45
RE: Fucked Up - 18/10/2009 1:20:21 PM   
SpiderBat

I like cars. I'm old enough to have a car. It's a nice one too. So kiss my Desmond Tutu.

(in reply to TheGodfather)
Post #: 46
RE: Up - 18/10/2009 4:44:40 PM   
jrewing1000

Wow what a fantastic film. But I wouldn't give it the 5 stars so many of you are arguing for. Why? Because I think it came off as restrained. Masterful, but restrained none-the-less.

Looking back, I don't remember being 'wowed' much. A couple of moments, when the house takes off for the first time, and the early part of Carl's journey, were borderline spectacular but never seemed to go all the way. I felt restricted for some reason, like there was a much bigger aspect to the story that I was missing.

The opening sequence everyone is bragging about didn't really impress me as much as I thought it would. Perhaps because it had been hyped up too much. I couldn't avoid reading about it - how it was one of the greatest montage sequences of all time. Bollocks to that. It was great but it really wasn't a masterpiece. Just a very well condensed piece of storytelling. If you ask me, the opening montage of 'Watchmen' was better because it felt more original and more bold. This was textbook (but brilliant textbook).

The pacing of the story was pretty much faultless. They really got it together this time after Wall-E's disappointing 2nd half. This was engaging all the way through. I still can't believe some people are claiming this is the film of the decade. That's nonsense. It was great, but not THAT great. (Coraline is still the animated film of the year).

One thing I will say, they FINALLY got the 3D right. The camera didn't move as much as previous 3D efforts. They have learnt to keep things as still as possible, allowing you to relish the 3D space. AT LAST!!!! (still an unecessary gimmick though)

Overall, I was moved, I laughed, I ALMOST cried (!). Definitely one of my favourite Pixar movies but still fell short of their absolute masterpiece (in my opinion) Toy Story 2.

4/5

< Message edited by jrewing1000 -- 18/10/2009 4:49:26 PM >

Post #: 47
RE: Up - 19/10/2009 9:12:48 AM   
MOnkeyboy1138

Best film I've seen all year bar none, it really has been a bit of a bad year for movies (odd year curse), this just made me feel warm and fuzzy and as a red blooded 27 year old male making me cry in a kids movie takes a lot. Up is fantastic, it ain't a kids movie (for the most part) Dug is a genius character of comedy and pathos and Karl is a perfect action hero (old is the new young). Out of 5 I'd give it a 6.

Might I add in my eyes Pixar has done no wrong EVER!! so take my review as you will, I know a lot of you don't like Cars much (granted it's not there best, but it is still head and shoulders above every other animated film that comes out these days).

You know the thing about Chaos? It's fair

I'm just a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it

(in reply to shinysavage)
Post #: 48
RE: Fucked Up - 19/10/2009 9:49:58 PM   
EricL

quote:

Absolute shite compared to Finding Nemo, The Incredibles, Cars - Pixar's genius hat-trick.
Pixar's downward trend started with Rat, continued with Wall-E, and now this, the worst of the lot. These 3 films are sentimental middle of the road pap disguised as quality.
Can this type of movie now find a formula other than "quiet" character matched with irritating balls clenchingly "loud" character?

I love Finding Nemo, but if you are using this reason to criticise Up then surely it can be applied to Finding Nemo as well.

"When Bruce Willis was dead at the end of The Sixth Sense I jizzed in my pants"

"I can't take him to the SPCA. They told me never to come back after I tried to give them a bunch of rats that my rat trap caught but didn't kill."
Post #: 49
RE: One star (only coz zero is not an option) - 20/10/2009 12:35:40 AM   
DJ Rob C: Mark II!

quote:

any muppoid that says this is the best movie of 2009, when this year includes Watchmen, Let The Right One In, In The Loop, Moon, and District 9 can come and meet me in Hyde Park to get their head mashed up with my 3 digit nunchukas.

Better than In the Loop and Watchmen.... maybe not better than the rest.... still up there though and whilst not as good as Wall-E, TS1 TS2 and The Incredibles, it still stands firmly alongside Nemo, Monsters, Bugs Life, and Ratatouille as quality Pixar... far better than Cars though

When Gotham is ashes, you have my permission to die

Third Highest Post Count on the Forum, sad but proud!
Post #: 50
RE: One star (only coz zero is not an option) - 20/10/2009 12:59:29 AM   
Olaf

not better than In The Loop. No chance.

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

Empire Top 100 Albums Poll 2013: CLICK HERE

(in reply to DJ Rob C: Mark II!)
Post #: 51
RE: One star (only coz zero is not an option) - 20/10/2009 8:50:29 AM   
Qwerty Norris

quote:

ORIGINAL: Olaf

not better than In The Loop. No chance.

I would disagree because even know I laughed so much and Armando Ianucci's a comedy genius, Up still presents that feeling of unique cinematic joy & emotion that's becoming more and more rare these days.

But definitely the best two films for me this year, closely followed by Anvil!

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
10. Wreck-it Ralph

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 52
RE: One star (only coz zero is not an option) - 20/10/2009 10:42:43 AM   
David Somerset

I was struggling to think how to write a review of Up, but my wife did it for me.
In her words: "Brill".

Can't argue with that.

(in reply to Qwerty Norris)
Post #: 53
RE: Nunchukas upside the head - 20/10/2009 5:35:39 PM   
SpiderBat

reckon I'll let Olaf off on 2nd thoughts.
Post #: 54
RE: Up - 21/10/2009 10:09:56 AM   
shatnerhamster

Definitely one of the best Pixar films. It's so good it almost rivals Russ Meyer's 1976 masterpiece as the best film called 'Up'. Meyer's film remains the winner, though.

Post #: 55
RE: Up - 21/10/2009 4:20:23 PM   
superdan

Up would probably scrape in at number 5 on my list of favourite Pixar films. It's good, but I don't think its the five-star masterpiece many on here do. Visually its stunning but thats pretty much a given for Pixar films, and I found both Russell and Kevin to be quite irritating characters at times. 4 Stars is probably about right. 

(in reply to shatnerhamster)
Post #: 56
RE: Up - 21/10/2009 5:02:30 PM   
Epiphany Demon

I'd also give up 4/5. More of a 4 and a half, but it wasn't a masterpiece. First half was, but it degenerated into normal kiddie fare thereafter; rather like WallE, but WallE handled it's first half better.

I'd rank them like this

5/5
1. Monsters, Inc.
2. WallE
3. The Incredibles

4/5
4. Toy Story
5. Toy Story 2
6. Up
7. Ratatouille
8. Finding Nemo
9. A Bug's Life

3/5
10. Cars

THE ALTERNATIVE LOOK AT BOB DYLAN'S DISCOGRAPHY - ONE DAY MAYBE I'LL FINISH IT

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 57
RE: Nunchukas upside the head - 21/10/2009 6:28:41 PM   
Qwerty Norris

quote:

OK have it your way. EricL, DJ Rob, Qwerty I'll see u at th Park. Bring your weapons of choice. David Somerset, u just bring your wife.

Okdoke, before we go to battle what's your favourite film of the year thus far? The response may influence the size of weapon I bring!

< Message edited by Qwerty Norris -- 21/10/2009 6:29:24 PM >

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
10. Wreck-it Ralph
Post #: 58
RE: Nunchukas upside the head - 21/10/2009 6:38:26 PM   
Olaf

quote:

reckon I'll let Olaf off on 2nd thoughts.

thankyew.

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

Empire Top 100 Albums Poll 2013: CLICK HERE

(in reply to SpiderBat)
Post #: 59
RE: One star (only coz zero is not an option) - 22/10/2009 1:28:49 AM   
adambatman82

quote:

any muppoid that says this is the best movie of 2009, when this year includes Watchmen, Let The Right One In, In The Loop, Moon, and District 9 can come and meet me in Hyde Park to get their head mashed up with my 3 digit nunchukas.

Watchmen? Really?

And isn't it a scientific fact that 35 Shots of Rum is the best film of 2009?

< Message edited by adambatman82 -- 22/10/2009 1:29:29 AM >
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Up Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI