RE:

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: - 9/10/2009 12:48:49 AM   
Deviation

Wasn't Dead Space a rip-off of Event Horizopn only ten times more derivative?

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to HuwTJ)
Post #: 31
RE: Awful - 9/10/2009 12:51:25 AM   
Deviation

quote:

ORIGINAL: kenada_woo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation

quote:

ORIGINAL: kenada_woo

quote:

ORIGINAL: mackey

I don't think the sci-fi channel is the best place to judge the genre UTB.  As you say, the stuff they show on there is almost total drivel.  Unfortunately 'Pandorum' would not look out of place amongst it's programming.  It's a truly awful film which liberally 'borrows' ideas from several far better sci-fi/horror films and recycles them into a murky, mundane mess - gloomy lighting is no substitute for atmosphere, regardless of budget (see 'Moon' for how to do it right).  The editing really is something to behold and combined with universally annoying performances 'Pandorum' becomes an irritating endurance test. 

But its not like Moon. The only thing in common is that they're set in space.

Name me another sci-fi movie that doesnt "borrow" ideas from better film?

Solaris, Stalker, Metropolis, they took ideas from books.

Massive circle or lies! That's what movies are!

And examined themn in their own ways, Stalker only has a similar plot to it's original and Solaris is apparently disliked by the author for being a Tarkovsky film and not his book.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to kenada_woo)
Post #: 32
RE: - 11/10/2009 6:52:49 PM   
Timon

I rather enjoyed it. Sure, there wasn't anything that original but Foster and Quaid were good in their respective roles and I thought the whole production design was awesome, though that it porbalby looked that way as they were able to hide any flaws in the dark.

The 'monsters' have been cited as simply being ripped off from The Descent, but you could call the whole film 'The Descent in Space' if you were feeling suitably lazy. Sure their origins were quickly glossed over but I thought they were suitably creepy.

Overall, I thought it was a solid sci-fi film and I one that deserves a wider audience that the limited viewing it will get.

Several plot holes but the tension, scares and scope make up for it.

3.5/5

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

(in reply to HuwTJ)
Post #: 33
Missed Potential...rum - 11/10/2009 7:18:18 PM   
moviesaccording2lard

2 out of 5? I don’t think it was quite that bad although probably only a 2.5 out of 5 if half marks were being dished out.
It starts off reasonably well and the tension builds nicely. Ok so it’s a dead ringer for various other ‘I’m in space on big ship with a Xenomorph’ flicks but to be honest, to emulate greats such as Alien and Event Horizon isn’t so daft is it? I will say that I half expected Rimmer to appear and call Quaid a smeg head on more than one occasion as they seem to have borrowed the set from the BBC’s Red Dwarf! Holly would have been a god send on the Elysium!! &#61514; Shame film makers cannot conjure up something a little more innovative that a 3 mile long ship with lots of cables and walk ways in perpetual darkness....anywho, it worked, at least to get the ball rolling on what would be a fairly terrifying situation, waking up and having no idea what the hell is going on.
The acting was generally ok although I honestly don’t believe Quaid really added anything to it. He’s done better. Foster was good though and played the whole, what the hell routine well. So, an ok start in fairly familiar territory but we’ll give it a whirl. Lot’s of potential.
Sadly, they just didn’t make as much of the movie as they could have. The shots, particularly the early interactions with the ‘monsters’ wasn’t great and instead seemed like a very blurred flash of grey punctuated by the creatures carrying around what can only be described as a blue flaming matchstick. And yes, the creatures are VERY similar to those found in the decent (as mentioned above) so not hugely exciting.
The film meanders on its rather flimsy journey to re-start the ships power plant (which is of course miles away from where Quaid and Foster start off and straight through the middle of bandit country) and get the ship re-booted to that they can determine what, where, why etc. Foster

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 34
pretty watchable - 21/10/2009 1:58:22 PM   
spamandham

Meh, wasn't that bad i thought; certainly worth another 'star' by emp standards.

67%

(in reply to moviesaccording2lard)
Post #: 35
RE: pretty watchable - 21/10/2009 2:00:11 PM   
spamandham

"Wasn't Dead Space a rip-off of Event Horizopn only ten times more derivative?"

The DS storyline was considerably superior and better executed than EH. None of either of them was original though.

(in reply to spamandham)
Post #: 36
RE: pretty watchable - 21/10/2009 2:35:31 PM   
kenada_woo

quote:

ORIGINAL: spamandham

"Wasn't Dead Space a rip-off of Event Horizopn only ten times more derivative?"

The DS storyline was considerably superior and better executed than EH. None of either of them was original though.

Really?

http://dereksdontrunfilms.blogspot.co.uk/

"You bailed out a Jamaican street named Monkey the other day, I want him. This other piece of shit, Screwface, I want him. I know you're a scumbag and a puke, I don't mind that, but give me what I need and I'll leave here a nice guy. If you don't, I'm gonna fuck you up. "

Hatcher. Marked For Death

(in reply to spamandham)
Post #: 37
hmm... - 25/10/2009 3:06:51 AM   
amerelium

...this sounds a bit like System Shock 2, doesn't it..?

Post #: 38
hmm... - 25/10/2009 3:06:57 AM   
amerelium

...this sounds a bit like System Shock 2, doesn't it..?

Post #: 39
- 23/1/2010 12:06:01 PM   
Geosolus

got this on disc last night and found it to be alot better than I had expected. I was looking for a sci fi slasher and this put some brains to it. Some interesting ideas and a shit load better than any Star Trek or Star Wars franchise I have been subjected to. I can see this film falling in to the ranks of Equilibrium as a solid underated work of the gerne.

Post #: 40
Not Orignal But Watchable. - 21/2/2010 9:44:33 AM   
joanna likes films

Pandorum has that feel of Ailen, Event Horizon and the deadly creepy Dead Space. In a empty eeire spaceship, find a way to get out while running for your life from the terriying monsters that lurk in the darkness. Not really orignal plotting there. But it kept on going, never lost that edge of your seat feel and some jump out moments. Okay, it's not the best film I have seen and copies a hell lot of other movies that have made that horror feel terrifying to see. I do recommend Pandorum if you like that sort of sci-fi horror, just don't expect it to be a classic.

Post #: 41
- 23/2/2010 9:29:06 AM   
chris wootton

I thought it was alright. Inoffensive way to spend a couple of hours

Post #: 42
Pandorum - 19/3/2010 1:31:37 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

I thought this was a pretty good sci-fi movie, dark, well acted, decent action, good characters and a great ending. I agree with the reviewer that it's taken bits and pieces off other movies but frankly so many films do that it's not exactly a dealbreaker.

I liked the fact that it wasn't as straightforward as humans vs mutants - there was the flight officer's mission, the survivors (both good and bad) the mutants, and the effects of Pandorum all playing a signifcant role in the story and thus making it far more interesting than it could have been.

In conclusion I'd give it 3.5 stars, 2 stars is way too harsh in my opinion, it's a good effort and definitely worth a watch

(in reply to chris wootton)
Post #: 43
Rip off - 21/4/2010 6:30:54 PM   
Shambino

Blatantly ripps off the Descent and Event horizon

Post #: 44
Made Hellraiser 4 seem tolerable - 27/4/2010 12:50:02 AM   
strangeone

Avoid. Watch the Descent, Alien, even Event Horizon instead. And if you've seen them already just watch any one of them again. Trust me. This is just an incoherent mish mash of bits from better films only done badly.

Post #: 45
- 10/5/2010 10:03:46 PM   
RogueElement

I must have rented the most vanilla disc ever from LoveFilm - film plays and there isn't even a menu never mind something as fancy as a commentary.

As for the movie? Could have been better, could have been worse. Trying to go for a sci-fi Descent vibe but I wasn't buying it.

Post #: 46
RE: Pandorum - 8/4/2011 7:05:20 AM   
Tech_Noir

Awful, when people complain about Michael Bay's fast cutting making it impossible to understand what's going on I'll assume they're referring to this film.

The only thing I liked was the last shot. If they started the film here and dropped all the zombie/monster stuff there would have been potential for something good.

Post #: 47
RE: - 19/4/2011 3:37:20 PM   
TheGreenPlanet

quote:

ORIGINAL: HuwTJ

Nowhere near as bad as the review would suggest. Could be because it made me think of playing Dead Space loads though.

Much better than new Indy or Superman Retiurns

(in reply to HuwTJ)
Post #: 48
Lol - 31/5/2011 3:36:35 PM   
HandBanana

Write a review on it on my blog about the religious subtext.
http://onedeviousbastard.blogspot.com/2011/07/movie-analysis-symbolism-in-pandorum.html

btw, Event Horizon and The Descent didn't have any new ideas.

< Message edited by HandBanana -- 24/9/2011 8:29:16 PM >

http://onedeviousbastard.blogspot.com/

(in reply to HuwTJ)
Post #: 49
RE: Awful - 31/5/2011 4:06:58 PM   
HandBanana

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

I didn't hate the film but felt there were some pretty big flaws.

1. The editing, in particular the creatures. They looked grea, why the crazy speed editing when they were running/.

2. The lighting - the set design looked great, but a lot of it was in pitch blackness.

3. The human "warrior" characters - they looked like they came from Xena: Warrior Princess.

There is nothing here that you haven't seen before and the twist is so so obvious. I suspect there was once a tighter, more focused and smaller film that was blown up at some point.

That said, there is some impressive set design and a couple of genuine moments of creepyiness (under the ships reactor) - it just needed to be a little more focused. It isn't at the level of something like Event Horizon even, but if you are a sci-fi fan who wants to while away 90s minutes it is not the worst thing to see this month.

I think they did that on purpose.

http://onedeviousbastard.blogspot.com/

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 50
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI