Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Pandorum

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Pandorum Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Pandorum - 2/10/2009 11:49:08 AM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
In space no one can see you scream... - 2/10/2009 1:14:52 PM   
VincentWire

This is a genuine contender for worst film of the year! An extremely messy attempted blend of The Descent (the creatures are almost identical in fact), Event Horizon and Alien that barely makes sense and is shot and lit so appallingly you hardly tell whats going on half the time. Avoid.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
RE: In space no one can see you scream... - 2/10/2009 6:52:41 PM   
Woger

Thanks for the spoiler warning dunder head!

< Message edited by Woger -- 2/10/2009 6:53:03 PM >

Eddie: "Weve been burgaled"
Richie: You may have been, but I have never in my life. As a christian I am so tightly clenched, oh you mean burgaled
- - -
There were originally five horsemen of the apocalypse. Jack Bauer said he would travel by foot

(in reply to VincentWire)
Post #: 3
BEN FOSTER MAKES THE FILM - 2/10/2009 8:50:58 PM   
slugman

A tough review above for a film that nicely combines elements of ALIEN and EVENT HORIZON. There wasnt anything new within the script but BEN FOSTER carries the film well and makes it an enjoyable watch. There have been better sci fi film out this year such as MOON and TERMINATOR but this is better than TRANSFORMER 2.
So for a action packed and scary SciFi film PANDORUM definitely ticks the right boxes.

Post #: 4
RE: In space no one can see you scream... - 2/10/2009 9:35:41 PM   
VincentWire

Exactly what did I give away to spoil it for you? Anyway the film makers did a far better job of spoiling this than any review could and if I have put you off seeing it then I have done you a favour. (Lame insult btw)

(in reply to Woger)
Post #: 5
Awful - 3/10/2009 7:21:09 AM   
The kUrGaN

How dare they contaminate the sci fi genre with this pile of tripe. The first 15 minutes are intriguing...then it all down hill from there. It's all in the dark, and any action sequences just appear in a frenzied mess of editing. Don't waste your time with this !!

Post #: 6
RE: Pandorum - 3/10/2009 7:28:57 AM   
iconzero

Wow, people really don't like this. Shall I not bother then?

"Chief, put out the fire will ya"

Post #: 7
Went to see it yesterday - 3/10/2009 10:43:07 AM   
Tokkas100

While I must admit, it's no Alien, it's, to be fair, not even Event Horizon. But it's nowhere near as bad as some people seem to think. I must say it's the best film I've seen in the last few weeks. Although it was only up against Surrogates and Gamer, which were terrible. A commendation must be handed out to Ben Foster who single-handedly carries this movie, he would be a member of the "Makes a film 15% better club" but he was X-Men 3, unlucky Ben.

Post #: 8
RE: Went to see it yesterday - 3/10/2009 2:11:58 PM   
kenada_woo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tokkas100

While I must admit, it's no Alien, it's, to be fair, not even Event Horizon. But it's nowhere near as bad as some people seem to think. I must say it's the best film I've seen in the last few weeks. Although it was only up against Surrogates and Gamer, which were terrible. A commendation must be handed out to Ben Foster who single-handedly carries this movie, he would be a member of the "Makes a film 15% better club" but he was X-Men 3, unlucky Ben.

I'd go along with this.

I think its a bit unfair saying its a rip off of other scifi horror films, its influences are no worst to see than in The Descent or Sunshine (a fair worst culprit of thievery, and The Descent rip off jibe its getting is ridiculous based on a 5 minute scene in a confined space).

What it is, is a well paced, speedy little film, clearly hit with a small budget (everything is very dark and there isnt much CG to be seen). It does keep its only look and style with its industrial grunge and adds a few nice surprises into the mix (the ending is very good and surprisingly up beat). It was also nice to see a genre film thats not about "who gets it next" but rather "who will they find next."

A likeable and able cast with Foster getting beaten around and looking like he must have been bruised after filming it, and the reliable Quaid holding there own. But its the support of Antje Traue as the fighting Nadia and the bad-arse hunter Manh played by Cung Le that add to the film, as well as Eddie Rouse as the crazy Leland.

A few jumps, some nice tension (although the editing is a bit chop happy sometimes), and also has a few very arresting images (wait for the little kid, and a very eerie scene in the reactor) meant for me that I had a good time.

It has problems though. The "monsters" in it take a bit getting used to and are introduced too early. They're a mixture of Gollum, the Reapers from Blade 2 and the zombies from Ghosts Of Mars and while nosy arent that scary but are vicious and make hard enimies for the heroes to defeat (they tend to run away being they are that strong). The budget too is also suspect in a few scenes that make the film look a little cheap.

Overall, I enjoyed it and it does have a few good surprised. If I was being honest, I'd say I'd prefer it over something such as Sunshine (a bit of mess that film IMO) or at least on par with it. If you like your sci-fi action horror like Pitch Black etc its worth a punt. Nothing outstanding but a worthy entry into the genre.

***/*****

http://dereksdontrunfilms.blogspot.co.uk/

"You bailed out a Jamaican street named Monkey the other day, I want him. This other piece of shit, Screwface, I want him. I know you're a scumbag and a puke, I don't mind that, but give me what I need and I'll leave here a nice guy. If you don't, I'm gonna fuck you up. "

Hatcher. Marked For Death

(in reply to Tokkas100)
Post #: 9
RE: Pandorum - 3/10/2009 5:41:31 PM   
MoBiUGeArSkIn

4/5

Big enjoyment. I liked the story. Boss fight bits were a bit out of place, and the pace wasn't so great. Cool twists though and a satisfying ending.

You're not going crazy, Arthur. You're going sane in a crazy world!

Post #: 10
RE: Awful - 3/10/2009 6:50:53 PM   
UTB

quote:

ORIGINAL: The kUrGaN

How dare they contaminate the sci fi genre with this pile of tripe

isn't sci-fi mostly tripe? 10 mins viewing of the sci-fi channel at any point during any given day proves this.

(in reply to The kUrGaN)
Post #: 11
RE: Awful - 4/10/2009 8:53:34 AM   
mackey

I don't think the sci-fi channel is the best place to judge the genre UTB.  As you say, the stuff they show on there is almost total drivel.  Unfortunately 'Pandorum' would not look out of place amongst it's programming.  It's a truly awful film which liberally 'borrows' ideas from several far better sci-fi/horror films and recycles them into a murky, mundane mess - gloomy lighting is no substitute for atmosphere, regardless of budget (see 'Moon' for how to do it right).  The editing really is something to behold and combined with universally annoying performances 'Pandorum' becomes an irritating endurance test. 

I know that look; it's the same look my father gave me when I told him I wanted to be a ventriloquist.

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 12
RE: Awful - 4/10/2009 11:39:09 AM   
Rgirvan44

I didn't hate the film but felt there were some pretty big flaws.

1. The editing, in particular the creatures. They looked grea, why the crazy speed editing when they were running/.

2. The lighting - the set design looked great, but a lot of it was in pitch blackness.

3. The human "warrior" characters - they looked like they came from Xena: Warrior Princess.

There is nothing here that you haven't seen before and the twist is so so obvious. I suspect there was once a tighter, more focused and smaller film that was blown up at some point.

That said, there is some impressive set design and a couple of genuine moments of creepyiness (under the ships reactor) - it just needed to be a little more focused. It isn't at the level of something like Event Horizon even, but if you are a sci-fi fan who wants to while away 90s minutes it is not the worst thing to see this month.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to mackey)
Post #: 13
RE: Awful - 4/10/2009 11:48:30 AM   
kenada_woo

quote:

ORIGINAL: mackey

I don't think the sci-fi channel is the best place to judge the genre UTB.  As you say, the stuff they show on there is almost total drivel.  Unfortunately 'Pandorum' would not look out of place amongst it's programming.  It's a truly awful film which liberally 'borrows' ideas from several far better sci-fi/horror films and recycles them into a murky, mundane mess - gloomy lighting is no substitute for atmosphere, regardless of budget (see 'Moon' for how to do it right).  The editing really is something to behold and combined with universally annoying performances 'Pandorum' becomes an irritating endurance test. 

But its not like Moon. The only thing in common is that they're set in space.

Name me another sci-fi movie that doesnt "borrow" ideas from better film?

"You bailed out a Jamaican street named Monkey the other day, I want him. This other piece of shit, Screwface, I want him. I know you're a scumbag and a puke, I don't mind that, but give me what I need and I'll leave here a nice guy. If you don't, I'm gonna fuck you up. "

(in reply to mackey)
Post #: 14
RE: Awful - 4/10/2009 5:14:22 PM   
Deviation

quote:

ORIGINAL: kenada_woo

quote:

Solaris, Stalker, Metropolis, they took ideas from books.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to kenada_woo)
Post #: 15
pandorum - 4/10/2009 6:47:46 PM   
moviemaniac2

The worst pile of shite Ive seen this year. Boring and stupid Alien/Event Horizon Clone

Post #: 16
RE: Awful - 4/10/2009 7:56:15 PM   
kenada_woo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation

quote:

ORIGINAL: kenada_woo

quote:

Solaris, Stalker, Metropolis, they took ideas from books.

Massive circle or lies! That's what movies are!

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 17
RE: Awful - 4/10/2009 9:52:46 PM   
mackey

I get your point kenada_woo, it's a difficult thing to be truly original.  My point about 'Moon' was not really to offer it is a direct comparison to 'Pandorum' but to illustrate the fact that it created a tone through story and character as opposed to bad lighting and poor editing.  I just thought it was a really lazy film which offered nothing interesting or engaging.

I know that look; it's the same look my father gave me when I told him I wanted to be a ventriloquist.

(in reply to kenada_woo)
Post #: 18
RE: Awful - 4/10/2009 10:05:03 PM   
Rgirvan44

There is a really good film in there, but they just widened it out a little too much. It could have been like The Edge...in Space. Two men trying to surivie while something is after them.

Instead they kinda loose their way about a third into the film. Which is a shame as I can see a lot to like in it.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to mackey)
Post #: 19
- 5/10/2009 3:20:53 PM   
Shaun666

If your idea of what makes a good film is sitting in the dark trying vainly to pick out what is happening on an almost perpetually dark screen then you'll love Pandorum.

If you like trying to figure out what is going on as the camera is flung around left. right and centre then you'll love Pandorum.

Howvever if you like a plot, decent lighting, good editing or good effects then you'll find nothing to enjoy here. Watch Alien again instead to see how it can be done if you have some skill.

Post #: 20
RE: - 5/10/2009 7:37:59 PM   
hampstead bandit

just saw it today, the only local cinema I could find it showing in (a telling sign if any?) was Odeon in Holloway Road, London

the cinema itself was very unusual, with a majestic entrance and a very complex set of multiple turns, doors and long sweeping corridors that lead down and then up, leading to Screen 8 where I saw the film; I actually found the cinema more interesting than the film!

within about 10 minutes, I knew something was "wrong" with Pandorum, it just didn't do anything for me, poor casting / editing / direction??

it seemed very confusing, badly edited as it was prone to jumping from scene to scene with big breaks, the casting seemed quite off with the 2 main characters (Quaid and Foster - I thought Foster was awesome in Alpha Dog) and it wasn't until the introduction of the female fighter and the male fighter (kiwi?) that the film started to have any "grip"

the fight scenes seemed speeded-up to the point of confusion, it was VERY dark throughout, the back story was more interesting than the main story, and I cannot say it really did much for me, there were a few 'bits' that were mildly interesting but it was no where near the quality of Event Horizon (which it has been compared to / referenced against in reviews)

I'm a big sci-fi / film fan, and would give pandorum about 2/5, about the same as Transformers 2 which at least looked great during the big set pieces

(in reply to Shaun666)
Post #: 21
RE: Pandorum - 5/10/2009 8:49:06 PM   
Death_Row_Marv

Dear god.  A film so bad it made me angry. 

The acting was awful.  The editing and direction was one of the worse I have ever seen.  I could not make out what was going on during any of the fight scenes.  The script and plot was dire.  I am all for dark in horror films but this was too dark had to squint through most of it. 

This had no atmosphere at all.  Had all the right idea for a horror film.  Isolation, claustrophobia, evil everywhere.  But it was soooooooooooooooo boring.  Made no sense.

Avoid this.

Rule one. I am always right.
Rule two. If it looks like I am wrong refer to rule one.
Check out http://marksfilmview.wordpress.com/

Post #: 22
Did I watch a different film? - 5/10/2009 11:24:50 PM   
dwavid

How can anyone say this was awful?
Looking at the comments on here I almost didn't go and watch this film and that would have been a mistake.
A lot of you are moaning about it being dark? HELLO its set on a spaceship with intermittent power, there would be no light! I thought that the darkness added more atmosphere of the movie.
It kept the suspense of waiting for something to jump out going almost all the way through the film and had enough action/chasing/violence throughout without being OTT.

Post #: 23
what a shame... - 6/10/2009 10:08:34 PM   
jamie_speak

contrary to some of the reviews on here this does start off well and builds up a fair chunk of tension. the darkness and industrial space setting is actually pulled off very well at first. unfortunately when the decision is made to move to shaky cam things go more than a little down hill. add in to that a couple of pointless characters that just remove tension and seek to over explain a story that really didn't need it and you can't help but wonder how good this could have been if kept lean and mean. impressed by ben foster

Post #: 24
RE: what a shame... - 7/10/2009 7:57:23 PM   
hampstead bandit

quote:

I would not say awful, but VERY confused, its a jumbled film and certainly not one I will be adding to my film collection

2/5 is about right in my opinion, I saw Surrogates the week before and enjoyed watching that and found it thought provoking in places

Pandorum was not really enjoyable, and the only thoughts it provoked were "???" and "What the hell is going on?"

(in reply to jamie_speak)
Post #: 25
Pandora's Box, maybe...... - 7/10/2009 11:23:05 PM   
n13roy

Saw it today, and didn't think it was as bad as some of the comments / reviews have mentioned. It certainly is a bit disjointed, and obviously borrows some scenes from other classic Sci Fi Films ( Alien, Event Horizon etc ) but there was a good storyline in there somewhere, I'm sure.........

Post #: 26
Pandora's Box, maybe...... - 7/10/2009 11:23:12 PM   
n13roy

Saw it today, and didn't think it was as bad as some of the comments / reviews have mentioned. It certainly is a bit disjointed, and obviously borrows some scenes from other classic Sci Fi Films ( Alien, Event Horizon etc ) but there was a good storyline in there somewhere, I'm sure.........

Post #: 27
Pandorum - 8/10/2009 8:53:49 AM   
trueborndjross

OK so there's not an original bone in this film's body (feels like a cross between Event Horizon, Aliens and The Descent) but it's entertaining enough stuff and not deserving of only 2 stars. Agree it's way too dark at times which makes it difficult to make out what's going on sometime but apart from that I quite enjoyed. I was disappointed a bit though as I was expecting it to be more of a psychological sci-fi horror type film which the first trailer kind of made it look like. A missed opportunity there perhaps?

Post #: 28
RE: what a shame... - 8/10/2009 10:22:59 AM   
genejoke

quote:

ORIGINAL: hampstead bandit

quote:

I would not say awful, but VERY confused, its a jumbled film and certainly not one I will be adding to my film collection

2/5 is about right in my opinion, I saw Surrogates the week before and enjoyed watching that and found it thought provoking in places

Pandorum was not really enjoyable, and the only thoughts it provoked were "???" and "What the hell is going on?"

POSSIBLE SPOILERS!!!!!

Personally I really liked it, I never had any trouble following any of it.  Okay at times you do wonder whats going on, not because it is confusing but because it is designed t have a bit of a mystery.

The only issues I had with it are that it seemed as thought therethere were two clashing plots, as in monsters versus madness.  I think the monsters were mostly redundant save for adding a physical threat, which they could have just used crazy people not monsters and toned down the action putting more focus on pandorum itself.  either that or cut down the plot and make a simple monster flick.  the result was a bit of a jumble of ideas, hence three stars not four.

as for comments about it being dark etc.  its supposed to be dark.

(in reply to hampstead bandit)
Post #: 29
- 8/10/2009 11:44:07 PM   
HuwTJ

Nowhere near as bad as the review would suggest. Could be because it made me think of playing Dead Space loads though.

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Pandorum Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI